Harry Reid on when he got a heads up on the Bergdahl: “What difference does it make?”

posted at 2:01 pm on June 5, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler, I realize that modern politics is all about brand-building but “whatevs” is a weird brand to choose. Hillary uttered these same words during her Benghazi testimony, now here’s Dingy recycling the sentiment for the Bergdahl swap. We’re one apathetic Obama soundbite away from a campaign commercial. Given his waning interest in his job these days, I’m thinking we’ll eventually get it.

Reid’s being asked here if it’s true that the White House notified him on Friday that the Bergdahl swap was impending, which would be curious since apparently no one else — no one — in Congress received that courtesy. Boehner wasn’t told, in case you’re wondering whether Reid’s tip-off was something they did as a matter of course for the majority leader in each chamber. Could be there’s a simple explanation, though: Maybe Reid was told on Saturday, after the deal had gone down, like everyone else and was simply mistaken about when he was notified. Right? Wrong, via John Ekdahl:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said yesterday that the White House told him about the Bergdahl deal on Friday — before it actually happened. That would be notable because it appears nobody else in Congress was told about the deal until after the fact on Saturday, ABC’s JONATHAN KARL notes. That prompted a senior administration official to urgently tell reporters traveling with the President that Senator Reid was mistaken and that he had been told on Saturday just like everybody else. So, Senator Reid simply got his days mixed up, right? Maybe not. Shortly after the senior administration official sought to correct Senator Reid, Senator Reid’s spokesman sought to correct the senior adminstration official. “This is mildly awkward,” tweeted Reid spokesman Adam Jentelson, “but someone at the WH must be confused…” In a second tweet, Jentelson added: “We were alerted earlier in the week that a significant notification was imminent & learned on Fri that Bergdahl op was going fwd.” Asked about that, the senior administration official had a new response: “No comment.”

Reid says Friday, the White House says Saturday, Reid says no, really, it was Friday, the White House clams up. My theory on this yesterday was that Reid is lying through his teeth, trying to give Obama a tiny bit of political cover in claiming that he did notify at least one member of Congress before the swap happened — not 30 days earlier, as required by law, but a little bit earlier just to prove his good faith. That doesn’t add up, though. If Reid was going to lie to protect O, he should have said, “Yeah, he told me about this 31 days ago. He complied with the statute.” That wouldn’t have explained why Reid was the only member of Congress he told but it would have been something. Also, if Reid was intent on lying, he shouldn’t have taken the “whatevs” approach here. He should have been firm on Friday, i.e. “you’re damned right I received advance notice, just as Congress requires the president to provide.”

Sounds like what happened is that Reid did get a heads up from someone on Friday and either assumed that all the other key players in Congress had received one too or couldn’t keep his big mouth shut when someone asked him about his unique privilege. Being a sleazebag hatchet man for the White House’s enemy du jour has earned him some special treatment, no? Exit question: If it’s true that the Taliban threatened to kill Bergdahl if the prisoner swap leaked before it happened, why on earth would anyone have risked telling Reid or anyone else beforehand?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 24s

SAO: Senators told yesterday US had “both specific & general indications” of possible threat to Bergdahl’s life if release deal disclosed.

canopfor on June 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Celebrate what?

This…???

Treason? U.S. Intel: Bergdahl May Have Been An ‘Active Collaborator’ With The Taliban At A Level That Is ‘As Serious As You Can Imagine’

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Adding the picture of Slovik after his execution was a nice touch Sophie.

D-fusit on June 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Ditto kcewa

cmsinaz on June 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That should be the DNC motto: “What Difference Does It Make?”

JetBoy on June 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM

OT, or not

Today it’s 10 years since President Ronald Reagan died.

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Thank you for posting this a number of times today.

I will take solace in what little there is these days
to take solace in…Watched that Pause in time 10 years ago,
especially enjoyed the Cannon Salute in CA.
That’s how you honor a PATRIOT.

ToddPA on June 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Trolls must be so confused, just sitting there , waiting to log on and start typing like crazy but not knowing what crap to type.
Bergy Boy is a hero POW— not working .
His colleagues are lairs— not working
His bosses were psychopaths— not working
Taliban is not our enemy— not working
The congress knew— not working
BergDad and taliMom are just not jihadies— not working
What to do ? What to do ?
:O

burrata on June 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I guess it is too late for Obama to claim that he found out about a deserter at best and traitor at worst was traded for five tollyban generals.

Nobody is madder than Obama that he didn’t play it that way.

jukin3 on June 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I thought it was clever to bash lawyers here. Apparently there are some of the parasites posting.

How do I know there was a loophole? From news reports I heard, there were exceptions in certain cases. Now while you may say Obama violated the “spirit” of the law, you cannot say he really broke it as CiC.

If you really feel like a law was broken, go ahead and try to put him under citizen’s arrest or push for impeachment proceedings. No Republicans will join you because they know it is simply a political issue and not a legal issue.

antisense on June 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Wow, Patty Murray is Cute…

Put her next to Boxer, and you’ve got the combined I.Q.
of a Cinder Block…

ToddPA on June 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Now wait just a doggone minute!!!

- A Typical White Cinderblock

VelvetElvis on June 5, 2014 at 2:52 PM

“What difference does it make?”

I’m thinking of a devastating political ad against Hillary and every other Democrat…

… That’s the difference.

Too bad the political elite ruling class won’t let it happen…

Seven Percent Solution on June 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Adding the picture of Slovik after his execution was a nice touch Sophie.

D-fusit on June 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

The little ‘touches’ are important. :-)

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Bergy Boy is a hero POW— not working .
His colleagues are lairs— not working
His bosses were psychopaths— not working
Taliban is not our enemy— not working
The congress knew— not working
BergDad and taliMom are just not jihadies— not working
What to do ? What to do ?
:O
burrata on June 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM

You forgot one, Burrata:

The narratives are slipperier than grease through a goose… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on June 5, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 24s

canopfor on June 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Yeah right .
But even if this happened,
if I had been the recipient of that threat ,
I would have dared the talibs to go ahead and do it and then get ready to receive 20 dead bodies straight from gitmo, air dropped over their opium fields.

burrata on June 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM

antisense on June 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Ridiculous.

Newtie and the Beauty on June 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

antisense on June 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM

While the issue of how much power a POTUS has during a time of war has been a constitutional question since the very beginning of this country, what hasn’t been a matter that has generated much debate is the power of the purse. It belongs to Congress, with all spending bill originating in the House.

Something in that statute is very important and has not been covered very much: The POTUS is prohibited from using taxpayer funds to transfer Gitmo detainees unless he complies with the 30-day notification.

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

OT:

D-Day Live from the CBC

kcewa on June 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

If I were Kaptain KickAss, and I needed to keep something from being leaked, the last person I would confide in would be Harry (Flopjaw)Reid…

bimmcorp on June 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

OT:

D-Day Live from the CBC

kcewa on June 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

70 years and obama, who golfed on the occasion for 5 years, wants to be Ronald Reagan, who died 10 years ago, today.

He also thinks he’s Washington, Lincoln and FDR, but in reality is “chimpey” and Nixon or steroids, ironically.

He is really the Clarabell presidency, very destructive though.

Rest well, president Ronald Reagan. This punk doesn’t deserve to spit on your shoes.

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Bergdahl was on double super secret probation that only Obama and his team of merry idiots knew about.

Did anybody else get a hoot out of King Barky the Liar pretending to be a tough buy after the gym video of a 100 pound weakling was released. Those 100 pound weaklings are the guys that go off on shooting sprees. If Obama would trade 5 tollybon generals now he is going to be very dangerous when his a$$ gets handed to him in November by the real terrorists, republicans.

jukin3 on June 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Kraut is wrong about most things … and the few times he’s right, he’s generally 18 to 36 months late.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Absolutely! Krauthammer has to be one of the most overrated talking heads on the right.

I’m sorry Krauthammer had an accident and became quadraplegic. I really am. But that doesn’t give him any magical moral or intellectual authority, and frankly, I find it very difficult to agree with a lot of what he says.

bofh on June 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Simple solution then. I will move the prisoners myself with my own money.

Obama tells people that they have moved, then pays me in 30 days.

Solved.

antisense on June 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM

You forgot one, Burrata:

The narratives are slipperier than grease through a goose… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on June 5, 2014 at 2:56 PM

TaliBowe was high on LSD— even that is not working
:-(

Athos on June 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM

You’re welcome :)

kcewa on June 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM

OT:

D-Day Live from the CBC

kcewa on June 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Have they placed some stones on that sandy Normandy beach for Hussein , you know so that Hussein can doodle and ” contemplate”?

burrata on June 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I’m sorry Krauthammer had an accident and became quadraplegic paraplegic.

bofh on June 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

He can still use his arms.

NotCoach on June 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Pelosi’s Mafia family

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

In fact, this punk doesn’t deserve to walk in your path at Normandy, the flack.

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Simple solution then. I will move the prisoners myself with my own money.

Obama tells people that they have moved, then pays me in 30 days.

Solved.

antisense on June 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM

But, he didn’t use his own money nor would he have been entitled to reimbursement had he done so.

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Simple solution then. I will move the prisoners myself with my own money.

Obama tells people that they have moved, then pays me in 30 days.

Solved.

antisense on June 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Hilarious! What do you call that, “The J. Wellington Wimpy Solution”?

tanked59 on June 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Pelosi’s Mafia family

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

These people are out to lunch. Not a single one of them understands honor or duty.

NotCoach on June 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

bofh on June 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM

That surprises me. I think Krauthammer is brilliant ( even more so after reading his book) and I agree with him on most things. On those I disagree with, I at least credit his opinion as one to seriously consider. I’m surprised people here think he is on the wrong side of most issues.

LASue on June 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM

FBI Investigated The Late Michael Hastings’ Reporting About Bowe Bergdahl

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Whoa !1
No wonder Gen McCrystal has suddenly found a need to squeak and defend his lord .

burrata on June 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Hilarious! What do you call that, “The J. Wellington Wimpy Solution”?

tanked59 on June 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I like it! Of course, my expenses consist of a shovel I already own and a bullet to the back of the head X 5, so it should be cheap.

antisense on June 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM

In reality, what difference does it make?

The press don’t care.

the left doesn’t care.

Democrats don’t care.

Whether a lefty lies, or breaks the law, or worse – the left, media and democrats (but I repeat myself three times) simply do not care.

They have no values or principals other than quest for power and worship of the state. Truth is irrelevant. Ethics are irrelevant. Morality is irrelevant. Law is irrelevant.

What difference does it make? None.

Monkeytoe on June 5, 2014 at 3:15 PM

LASue on June 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I’m with you. I generally agree with dr. Krauthammer, although I am not in lock step with him by any means, nor do I agree with his take on letting these 5 terrorists loose on the world.

bimmcorp on June 5, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Maybe Reid was notified 30 HOURS before it happened and the WH just misread the law?

We haven’t seen Obama’s college transcript, maybe he can’t read???

txdoc on June 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I guess the leftist’s fears of a the ‘Unitary Executive Theory and the Imperial Presidency‘ ended when BushitlerdarthCheney ended their reign of terror and ‘The Lightbringer’ ascended to the throne.

tanked59 on June 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Chad Pergram @ChadPergram · 21s

Reid on why getting early heads up on #Bergdahl release: I’m not sure..is it Friday or Saturday? What difference does it make?

Chad Pergram @ChadPergram · 18s

Reid on #Bergdahl: The war is winding down, let’s bring him home. We did.

canopfor on June 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM

These people must really believe that desertion is no worse than cutting a college class.

As for the ‘What difference. . .’ crack, I’m sure the fossil said that on purpose just to hear it on TV and to see his name in the papers.

TimBuk3 on June 5, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Harry Reid on when he got a heads up his head up his ass on the Bergdahl: “At the inception!”
posted at 2:01 pm on June 5, 2014 by Allahpundit

..FIFY.

(Disclaimer: I have not read the whole thread; just pulled the pin and threw.)

The War Planner on June 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Bergy Boy is a hero POW— not working .
His colleagues are lairs— not working
His bosses were psychopaths— not working
Taliban is not our enemy— not working
The congress knew— not working
BergDad and taliMom are just not jihadies— not working
What to do ? What to do ?
:O

burrata on June 5, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Gerrymandering!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Who is that Indian chick to HR’s right?

rjoco1 on June 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Pretty bad when dingy and dear leader can’t get their stories lies straight.

Kissmygrits on June 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM

It it’s true this is the case, then why not lead with it right out of the gate instead of going with the other lame excuses?

xblade on June 5, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I’m sure this south end of a horse going north has no idea what difference it makes. This man is a despicable slug with putrid values that are obviously shard by his political contemporaries in the senate. Was the entire state of Nevada drunk when they elected this bum?

rplat on June 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM

He may have a point. If he were to ultimately wind up in federal prison for 3 years or 30 its liable to be the rest of his days.
But I’m a romantic.

onomo on June 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I’m not one to hate people, but the notion that this man will die slowly in bed, riddled with sores, wallowing in his own filth, and listening to his kids and grandkids snipe at each other over who’s getting how much of his millions, gives me hope.

CurtZHP on June 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Honestly, I don’t think Harry Reid knows what is happening from one day to the next. I think they literally wind him up each day and roll him out onto the senate floor.

TarheelBen on June 5, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Who is that Indian chick to HR’s right?

rjoco1 on June 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM

-:) LOL

TarheelBen on June 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I cant really believe I am saying this but I think Harry Reid is right. If he told them what he was doing what difference would it make. He would have done it anyway. The only people interested in the law are those that have an interest in following it, Just like no gun zones, criminals don’t care about that. So criminals like Obama, Holder don’t care what the law says. So Harry Reid is right WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pwb on June 5, 2014 at 6:51 PM

It’s simple: he is lying both times, the first explicitly, the second in the manner of an equivocator because he is caught out in the first lie.

rlwo2008 on June 5, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Hey Harry, the difference it makes is many of our men died because of his actions but this probably wouldn’t be understood by you.

mixplix on June 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM

May “whatever” be their career millstone.

socalcon on June 5, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Mark Knoller @markknoller · 24s

canopfor on June 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Apologies if this has already been answered. Obama says it is a sacred duty to leave no man behind, BUT if that same man is put in danger by a deal Obama wants to complete, too bad so sad, because the deal is more important than the man’s life. Couldn’t they just have said no deal is worth a soldier’s life, even a deserter??? Now that would have been good PR news the WH could have trumpeted.

txmomof6 on June 5, 2014 at 8:44 PM

“What difference, at this point, does it make?”

What was that line about history repeating itself? First time as tragedy, second time as farce?

de rigueur on June 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM

My theory on this yesterday was that Reid is lying through his teeth

NAILED IT!

Reid won’t know ‘the truth’ if it walked up an bit him on his ass!

GarandFan on June 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM

“What difference does it make?”

You as Senate Leader should know shouldn’t you?

Bmore on June 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM

they just told everybody they couldn’t tell anyone or the taliban would kill the soldier in question. now reid just contradicted them and why if he knew would he not tell Feinstien? They are just lying and making things up as they go along. They can’t even get their lies straight. A firing squad would be too good for the lot of them.

warmairfan on June 5, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Busted…one of these POS’s is lying. Either way the whole democratic machine is lying

jaywemm on June 5, 2014 at 11:28 PM

That should be the DNC motto: “What Difference Does It Make?”
JetBoy on June 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I have notice it’s used after every time they are exposed. Benghazi was about illegal gun running to the Syrian terrorists, and the Abdullah swap was about releasing the 5 Taliban generals. The only loser was the Haqqanj network who didn’t get their cash

Brock Robamney on June 6, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Why is Patty Murray, a semi-retarded senator from WA State, ALWAYS in these pictures?
Does she stand around waiting on-deck just in case?

Harry pretty clearly has dementia.

Nuke ‘em from space, it’s the only way to be sure.

Tard on June 6, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Most accurate bumper sticker ever -

Vote Democrat
“What difference does it make”

Closet Optimist on June 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Yes Sen Ried, What difference has your tenure in Congress made – nothing.

MSGTAS on June 6, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Gee that seems to be a popular phrase among socialist leftards, doesn’t it ?

Conservatives : I apologize profusely if I hurt anyone, I made a terrible decision and I take full responsibility for it.

Liberals: “What difference does it make?”

cableguy615 on June 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Has Harry Reid invited Bergdahl to testify before the Senate ala Leftist “Hero” John Kerry about the dastardly behavior of the U.S. Military?

opaobie on June 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM

EVERY DAY, I’m also a day closer to dying! smh

MD11Fr8Dog on June 7, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Evil paired with dementia…not a good combo….

Xango Annie on June 7, 2014 at 1:48 AM