Angry debate on Morning Joe over Bergdahl dad’s actions

posted at 9:21 am on June 5, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

This debate has raged on blogs and social media ever since Barack Obama put his arm around Robert Bergdahl, so having it erupt of Morning Joe today is less of a surprise and more of a cathartic. Chuck Todd, traveling with Obama on his tour of Europe, reacted to criticism from Joe Scarborough of the elder Bergdahl for his Taliban-friendly behavior prior to the release. Todd rebuked Scarborough for criticizing the father of a captive, a situation that’s impossible to imagine without experiencing it himself, but Scarborough angrily retorts that the father’s actions are open to criticism — especially those prior to his son’s desertion:

“I keep holding up this image where Barack Obama has his arm around a man who is reaching out to pro-Taliban forces, talking about killing Americans,” Scarborough said.

“Joe, Joe, don’t criticize the parents,” Todd replied. “Don’t criticize the parents in here, that are missing a child? Their son is missing for five years. You know what? It is not logical. You cannot handle it. You put yourself in his shoes –”

“I have a 26-year-old son, and if my son is out on the wire and he is out there with fellow troops and he is writes me up and says he hates America and he’s thinking about deserting and he’s thinking about leaving his post, I can tell you as a father of that 26-year-old or 23-year-old son, I’d say, ‘Joey, you stay the hell right there,’” Scarborough said. “I would call his commander, I would say ‘Get my son. He is not well. Get him to a military base in Germany.’ I would not say ‘Follow your conscience, son.’ I would not reach out to the voice of jihad.”

“I’m not backseat driving how someone parents,” Todd replied.

“That is not backseat driving,” Scarborough said. “I am a father. Any good father would not tell their son to follow their conscience and leave men and women on the line.”

“So he’s a bad father?” Todd challenged.

“Yes!” Scarborough said. “Yes, he is! Oh my god, Chuck.”

Scarborough later asks, “Am I alone here in America?” The answer is — most certainly not. There has been an avalanche of criticism and suspicion of the elder Bergdahl’s actions, statements, and motivations. It’s just that most news outlets haven’t touched that story, but this debate has been taking place in largely the same parameters as it did between Scarborough and Todd. Scarborough and Todd end up talking past each other a bit too, as Scarborough aims his criticism mostly at Bergdahl’s fatherly advice prior to the desertion, while Todd attempts to immunize Bergdahl for what happened afterward — which also is a feature of some of the debate in America, too.

For what it’s worth, there is room in between those two positions, too. It’s possible to have empathy for the Bergdahls and understand why they would present a friendly public profile in order to connect with their son’s captors and help keep him alive. That doesn’t give a carte blanche excuse for everything, though, and it certainly doesn’t make Berdgahl père immune from criticism. He made those statements and actions in the public square, but that criticism should be tempered with some compassion for a father who was desperate to save his son’s life.

Mika Brzezinski hits the nail on the head in this exchange. The elder Bergdahl isn’t really the issue — it’s the President who put him up at the Rose Garden podium and wrapped his arm around him. Did no one look into the public statements of Bergdahl before creating that photo op? In military terms, the anger at Bergdahl is collateral damage. The national question isn’t whether Bob Bergdahl is a bad father, but whether Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

but whether Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.

This goes without sayin’

Electrongod on June 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Scarborough later asks, “Am I alone here in America on MSNBC?”

That’s a better question. =)

non-nonpartisan on June 5, 2014 at 9:28 AM

The missionaries of the Progressive/Secular religion are doing their best defending their high priest.

higgins1991 on June 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Scarborough later asks, “Am I alone here in America MSNBC?”

FIFY, Joe

gonnjos on June 5, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I spent 28 years on active duty in the navy, and I’ve always said if I were innocent and on trial for my life or freedom, I’d much rather be tried by military court-martial than by a jury of morons.

Bowe Bergdahl shoud DEMAND a court-martial to clear his name if he is innocent. I’m certain he won’t, though.

Chowderhead123 on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

“Dangerously Incompetent”

Yes, that is the answer to all questions.

BettyRuth on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

“…Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.”

What’s his grand finale?

JoeHanson on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

UpChuck is spinning at 200 mph. You can always hear the new talking points from him FIRST:

“Obama was going to have to release those prisoners eventually, and he got a soldier returned for them! Isn’t he smart?!”

Marcus on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Tammy Bruce said it best: His son is safely back in the west and Bergdahl of Mecca starts his Rose Garden speech with a muslim prayer?

The dude lamented a Taliban savage having his YouTube account suspended, who here has ever gotten in a tizzy because a terrorist couldn’t post his vids online, raise your hands.

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Ed Morrissey on June 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I agree with you on the President’s greater (by far) culpability, but I’d really like to see Robert Bergdahl brought up on charges of aiding and abetting the enemy.

A military tribunal should handle the son.

listens2glenn on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Damn, non-partisan beat me to the punch.

Appalacher on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Scarborough later asks, “Am I alone here in America?”

Not that I much give a damn about you, Joe, but if you’re going to keep yourself inside the MSNBC bubble, then you are going to be treated to an alternate version of reality.

Bitter Clinger on June 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Put your hand down, verbaluce, I’m talking to everyone else.

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

The national rhetorical question isn’t whether Bob Bergdahl is a bad father, but whether Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.

FIFY

Deano1952 on June 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I’ll take “Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President” for $400, Alex.

Simonsez on June 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Bergdad Bob and his son Bergedict Arnold are simply obozo’s kind of people.

Flange on June 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

At this point I am rooting for a Military Coup.

ConstantineXI on June 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I would agree, except for the fact for the last 6 years the CIC has been purging top military brass and replacing them with like minded leftists…

PatriotRider on June 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM

“…Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.”

What’s his grand finale?

JoeHanson on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Formally surrendering the USA to Islamo-whackos.

Bitter Clinger on June 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Scarborough later asks, “Am I alone here in America?”

No, Joe. But in most situations, you’re alone over there at MSLSD.

TarheelBen on June 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Good lapdog. Chuckie

Incompetence thy name is obama

cmsinaz on June 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.

Yes. Yes he is.

tru2tx on June 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM

“I’m not backseat driving how someone parents,” Todd replied.

Since when do Leftists believe this on any other topic?

Apparently it only applies to America-hating parents. All the left does is criticize how Americans raise our children.

mankai on June 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Chucky T seems very concerned about Afghan Bob but not so much the soldiers. This could really hurt Dear Leader.

d1carter on June 5, 2014 at 9:36 AM

This isn’t a serious question at this point unless you go with the he is destroying America on purpose view.

Southernblogger on June 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM

“I’m not backseat driving how someone parents,” Todd replied.

Then why do you hate homeschooling…

PatriotRider on June 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Bowe Bergdahl: “I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools. I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.”

Bob Bergdahl responded in an email: “OBEY YOUR CONSCIENCE!”

Bob Bergdahl is no better than his son.

Pork-Chop on June 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

None of this synchs up with the fact that Tali-Bob was praising Allah and the Afghan people even after Tali-Bowe was in Germany. I’d agree with Mika that this is not the real issue. It’s the actions of the rat-eared wonder who illegally traded away really bad people for this one pajamaboy deserter.

Happy Nomad on June 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Southernblogger on June 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I think it’s more than a “view” at this point…

PatriotRider on June 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I have a question. The Obama and the Left and the media are making Bergdahl’s release the release of one of the girls from Boko Haram or a POW from the Hanoi Hilton. From what I’ve read, Bergdahl shipped his valuable personal effects to his parents, voluntarily abandoned his fellow soldiers, walked into the warm embrace of the enemy, may have aided them in killing and wounding Americans, and was treated quite well by his “captors.”

The US has not really been gnashing its teeth over this guy for the past five years seemingly because the US has strongly suspected that the guy was where he really wanted to be.

In the end, I’m awaiting details of this guy’s hardship in “captivity” before I agree that the US “rescued” him from anything. As far as I’m concerned, giving up the Taliban’s Murderers Row for a guy who was probably content to stay with the Taliban doesn’t fit the script of “leaving no man behind.”

BuckeyeSam on June 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

“I’m not backseat driving how someone parents,” Todd replied.

Great, so I’m allowed to send a bag of cookies instead of carrot sticks with my kid for her school snack? No? But you just said…

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

“Am I alone here in America?”

Nope. You’re surrounded as well.

Bmore on June 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I do not believe he is incompetent. The appearance of “incompetence” is complete subterfuge. His actions to free the five arch terrorists from gitmo starting in 2009 show a deliberate and methodical act of treason.

Regarding Bergdahl, Slovik did far less:

In October 1944, as Allied forces were sweeping through France, Slovik left his position on the front lines, walked to the rear of his unit and handed a note to the cook, confessing his desertion. The letter explained that he was “so scared” that he had already abandoned his unit once, and concluded: “AND I’LL RUN AWAY AGAIN IF I HAVE TO GO OUT THERE.”

Slovik was like Bradley Manning minus the lipstick and eyeliner.

A lieutenant, a company commander, and a judge advocate all tried to persuade Slovik to shred the letter and return to his unit, warning him that he’d be tried for desertion otherwise. Slovik refused.

In the middle of World War II, the military court-martialed Slovik, tried him, and sentenced him to death.

dogsoldier on June 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Joe – Lay down and bark with dogs…

rhombus on June 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

PatriotRider on June 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Well said.

What irks me to NO end, that picture of BO with his arms around both parents, leaving the Rose Garden. He is such a cold, ice cold, person. He seldom touches people. How is it that he WRAPS his arm around the waist of each parent, and walks the entire way out of the photo-op in that manner? Don’t ever tell me he isn’t a follower of Islam.

herm2416 on June 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.

Ed Morrissey on June 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I would have gone this route Ed.

Barack Obama is a dangerous President.

Ed Morrissey on June 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Bmore on June 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM

What’s his grand finale?

JoeHanson on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Personally I think it’ll involve some “Major” national crisis, martial law enforced by a bunch of armed federal thugs police and a suspension of the bill of rights. Adjusts tinfoil hat.

Oldnuke on June 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

No, Joe, you aren’t. In my opinion, The elder Bergdahl should have SHAVED his BEARD to show that his “research” into “understanding” his sons captors was no longer necessary!!!

djl130 on June 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

BergDad is a bad father. His conversation with his son can certainly be logically seen as a contributing factor to his son’s desertion and, therefore, to the pain he, BergDad, felt later as a parent of a captive.

I, too, can understand the value of cosying up to the captors after-the-fact, but at this point the facade should be dropped.

But that isn’t happening…

ROCnPhilly on June 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

According to Todd anything anyone does is okay so long as it supports obama.

Blake on June 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I also think it is important to point out how kooky the parents are to have any empathy for Bergdahl. If he was raised by flakes that might actually ease public opinion to a level of pity or at least some understanding of his behavior. I am not defending him, but you have to look at whole picture also.

Southernblogger on June 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

The big story no one seems to be talking about is that the weasel chuck todd, the leading political reporter for a leading news outlet is advocating, forcefully, that discussion of a news topic should be off limits. That criticism of a specific individual is “verboten” (German seems to come to mind when listening to the regime and it’s media propagandists). A so called “leading journalist” is fighting for a restriction on another citizens free speech because it runs counter to his agenda.

peacenprosperity on June 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Yes, Bob Bergdahl is a rotten father and even worse citizen.

Barack Obama is dangerously seditious President.

They have been working on this for years, it isn’t incompetence, it is pure, unadulterated maliciousness. Let us not forget that the attorney general, prior to ascending the throne at the [in]Justice Department, was actually defending terrorists in GTMO.

Don’t you see the trend? His actions are more and more hostile and more and more open his contempt and hatred of all things American. I won’t be surprised to see Texas being carpet bombed one day under his order.

Reuben Hick on June 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM

The Bergdahl’s were nothing more than pawns in Dear Leader’s quest to release the Fab Five…btw, is Bowe speaking English again..?

d1carter on June 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM

You know who else criticized the father’s behavior? Tina Brown and Alex Paveene. These are two big mouth leftards. They tweeted that it was offensive for the father to not acknowledge those soldiers sacrifices to find his son, the deserter. And yes, they called him s deserter.

Blake on June 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I repeat, in retrospect, the Rolling Stone article was a very bad idea. According to this, Dad went with the Muslim look because he planned to go over and get Bowe himself. Maybe he did feel responsible for the kid’s desertion.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

UpChuck Todd, Obama,Valerie Jarrett,Susan Rice, all those communists at the State Department and all of Obama’s Czars and mouthpieces have never served a single day in the armed forces, let alone in a combat Zone, except Hillary, of course who was almost shot out of the sky. Thus, they have no idea of what deserting in a combat zone means and how destestable it is to military personnel. Desertion and treason should never, ever be downplayed or excused. Col. Ralph Peters wrote that the Obama people, his Zombies who swoon over him, think desertion is akin to cutting class or sleeping late and missing a day of school. That’s why they were blindsided by this political move to make Obama look good while he was drowning in the VA scandal. “Obama traded five 4 star Generals for one deserter” should be the bumper sticker and talking point from now until Nov. 4, 2016.

they lie on June 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

What’s his grand finale?

JoeHanson on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Suicide vest during the next Presidential inauguration?

Allahu akBOOM!

BobMbx on June 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM

read Barnhardt’s latest

Murphy9 on June 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

d1carter on June 5, 2014 at

That is so outrageous. “No longer speaks English.” The guy wrote “SF?” as soon as he boarded the helicopter to ask if those real soldiers flying him out were “Special Forces”. Or has English turned to Latin for the poor man and only written, not spoken?

I notice the MSM is curiously incurious about that little detail.

ROCnPhilly on June 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

peacenprosperity on June 5, 2014 at 9:43 AM

While I agree, is it really different from what we have experienced through the entire Obama tenure? If they can’t cover up for him by omission, than everyone’s racist for being critical or heck, even concerned. Not to worry, I feel certain that as soon a Republican gets elected they will recover their “journalistic” ethics.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I would love to see that visa application.

Reuben Hick on June 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Dangerously incompetent in same vein as Susan Rice. She’s been remarked upon as intelligent, tough and confident in herself. This is the image that she projects to others. Sound familiar? They don’t feel the need to do research or check backgrounds or back stories before coming out with their words on a policy or action. They carefully craft the words to their lies, get them out there and depend on the lsm to present the twisted logic so it appears as the truth. Dear leader needed a feel good story to remove the bad press from the VA scandal so he goes to Afghanistan for a couple of hours and then back to the Rose Garden for another photo op with the Bergdahls. This admin is being run like a really bad horror movie in production without the benefit of rewrites.

Kissmygrits on June 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM

This is another one of those rhetorical devices whereby everyone is absolved of everything. It is quite true: none of us knows how we would react in a whole variety of situations. But I firmly believe that how we react to crisis is the best indicator of our underlying personality.

“We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

dreadnought62 on June 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Bergdahl of Mecca abrogated his responsibility as a father.

Your soldier son sends you a letter stating a desire to desert and you tell him to follow his conscience? As if the kid is merely thinking of leaving business school to live at an artist’s colony in Taos.

What were the expected results of deserting in the Graveyard of Armies. Either the kid joins up with terrorists successfully OR his parents get to see a vid of their son having his head hacked-off with a rusty kitchen knife.

What sort of father is this guy?

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

You cannot recover that which you have never possessed.

oscarwilde on June 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Both–and the son is a deserter. That makes all three of them bad.

KickandSwimMom on June 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Did we pay the Taliban money to get Bergdahl back, too?

gracie on June 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM

What sort of father is this guy?

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

the kind that a wise man prays is the father of all of his enemies.

oscarwilde on June 5, 2014 at 10:01 AM

“I’m not backseat driving how someone parents,” Todd replied.

We need the Aflac duck here: “A flack, a flack, a flack”.

LashRambo on June 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Put your hand down, verbaluce, I’m talking to everyone else.

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:31 AM

The above should be put in some sort of HotAir Handbook
of good posting practices.

ToddPA on June 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Sorry to disagree but the Bummer and the Bearded Bob are one and the same in their disdain for our country, it’s illustrious history, it’s people and military.

Herb on June 5, 2014 at 10:03 AM

There was a report yesterday that the terrorists who brought Bergdahl to the pick-up point were upset that the Americans in the helicopter didn’t hang around a while longer, so that the terrorists would have more time to say their goodbyes to their friend . . . er, I mean “prisoner,” Bergdahl.

Because all jailers like to have long, soulful goodbye sessions with the inmates, right?

AZCoyote on June 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM

It can be both: A bad father and a bad President.

thgrant on June 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM

What sort of father is this guy?

Bishop on June 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I am beginning to consider the possibility that Abdullah Bergdahl’s conversion to Islam began before he left the states. He was in country for what? less than three months when he deserted? How long was he there before he began speaking to others, not only about deserting himself, but about getting others to walk as well?

ROCnPhilly on June 5, 2014 at 10:13 AM

oscarwilde on June 5, 2014 at 9:59 AM

They’ve at least heard about it. I am sure you will hear all sorts of Journalism 101 cliches when and if a Republican ever gets elected again.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM

***

AZCoyote on June 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM

That’s why Obama gave up so much to the Taliban. Bergdahl was their John Coffey (The Green Mile).

Bergdahl looks healthy as a horse. When are people going to start screaming about how much this guy was worth to recover? Indeed, did we really recover or rescue him? Someone questioned me about this yesterday, but I still say that they should have offered a few donkeys and said take or leave it. At best, I’d have picked from the bottom of the deck at Gitmo for this deserter. What’s the cost going to be when an enemy takes someone of real value to the US? And spare me the sentiments about the parents. They encouraged the guy to desert. I still can’t believe soldiers had to die trying to find this POS.

BuckeyeSam on June 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Bergdahl’s Talibani buddies were very happy with Baghdad Bob Bergdahl’s Islamic blessing and claiming of the White House for allah.

He didn’t do that to “save his son.” At that point, junior was already saved. This was just a gratuitous, in-your-face insult.

AZCoyote on June 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Todd is displaying the “New age” meme that is don’t be judgemental towards anyone. I have two grown children and it is impossible for me to watch a news show without them defending the person who is being profiled for some misdeed. If it is an Islamic terrorist they say all Muslims are not terrorists. If it is obamacare they say he meant well. If it is ignoring the Constitution they say there has to be a good reason for it. If it is about gay marriage and I bring up that once that barrier is down multiple partner marriage will be approved they respond “No way”. If it as about Bergdahl they say there must be a good reason for him to “Leave” his post without his armor or his weapon. I pray at night that something will cause them to get a more judgemental view towards their fellow man. Unfortunately the msm has already acquired this peculiar disorder but it only affects them when a liberal is in office.

inspectorudy on June 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM

The national question isn’t whether Bob Bergdahl is a bad father…,

Example: A “bad” father is one who looks the other way when his underage child drinks and then says, “Boys will be boys.” Bob Bergdahl passed “bad” many years ago, and in my opinion is a danger to this country.

…but whether Barack Obama is a dangerously incompetent President.

Asked and answered. “Dangerously incompetent” is putting it mildly. And here we thought the worse he could do was O-Care.

GrannyDee on June 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Joe et al, clearly show they are capable of talking outside of both sides of their mouths and still never make any sense. Joe wants U.S.troops to capture his son no matter the cost. All the while knowing his son deserted because of his fathers terrorist beliefs which were surly passed on to him. That is true hypocrisy and shows liberals synapses are firing in the proper order, if at all.

MSGTAS on June 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Ed must be one of the 20 people that watch Morning Joe

KBird on June 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM

“If Michelle and I had a father……..”

Koa on June 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Any non-video/twitter link to these statements? I ask so tha I can tell others as well what was said.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM

This cluster hump is the direct result of welfare queens and insecure single women voting for a criminally inept community organizer. Everything this clown act touches turns to shiite.

Obamalies on June 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM

“Was” being the operative word.

I won’t deny the obvious just to take into account the slim possibility of the obvious being wrong. Isn’t that how we got Obama?

Most people that look, act and talk like a kook …turn out to be kook.

Blame whatever you want, but Bergdahl’s father looks to be off his rocker in more ways than one.

lynncgb on June 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Mika hasn’t been looking happy lately.

As for the father, justifying retribution against America for the “Afghan babies killed”, and subsequently issuing an Islamic benediction from the Rose Garden are not terribly patriotic – or right – things to do. Allowing this guy to have the stage alongside the president reflects directly back to the president.

paul1149 on June 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Traitors flock together…when you hate this country, this is what happens. Thanks to all of the voters out there that were too lazy to vett the current resident of the White House.

crosshugger on June 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

The Lefties are starting to get worried the incompetence of O and company is going to poison the well for at least a generation.

All we need right now (ie, the next 2 1/2 years) is a market crash and a 9/11 level terrorist attack to drive home the point and the progressive agenda will be as popular as isolationism after Pearl Harbor.

formwiz on June 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

How do you say “cuckold” in Pashti?

Did you see those Presidential paws all over the Hippy Mama? I’ll be Michelle did…

OCULUS on June 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Sounds like Chuck Todd thinks Bergdahl is a child and his picture should’ve been on the back of a milk carton.

gxbhkt on June 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM

This President acted stupidly. Again.

portlandon on June 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Todd awakens suddenly at night in a cold sweat… “They know. THEY KNOW!!! Get a hold of yourself Chuck…you know what you have to do…”

otlset on June 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Chuck Todd, traveling with Obama on his tour of Europe, reacted to criticism

…how come the camera shots…never show his knee-pads.

KOOLAID2 on June 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I am I the only person who thinks the way Obama hung on to the wife in the Rose garden looked creepy.

davod on June 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM

you can just tell that chuck todd is in serious agony over the latest obama screw up. he is not a happy camper. all his instincts tell him to go into cover obamas hind end but he can’t without being too obvious, so he hits back on this little point. He really sides with the father and obama, so obvious. I hope he does not have children he shows poor judgment here. to chuck todd: embrace the suck your guy is a screw up.

warmairfan on June 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM

davod on June 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM

No, you are not.

Koa on June 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

davod on June 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Too bad Michelle wasn’t present. Would we have gotten another round of Mandela Funeral Death Stare?

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM

btw, is Bowe speaking English again..?

d1carter

This is a very important question.

Taliban dad said on Sunday at his presser that he was speaking in a tribal language because Bowe no longer speaks English. Last night after viewing the “proof of life” video, Senators came out and said Bowe spoke English on the tape. This exposes dad’s lie.

I don’t care what Chuck Todd says he is not above reproach. He home- schooled Bowe so everything he knows he learned from daddy. He advised his son to follow his conscience when he came to him for advice on renouncing his US citizenship and deserting the Army.

Why was this man allowed to speak the tribal language of an enemy of the United States in the rose garden and embraced by our POTUS after doing it? This is matter of National security. This will be taken by the enemy as a surrender along with the outing of the CIA Station Chief the week before and the release of the Taliban 5.

Bowe has changed his name to Abdullah and does not speak his native language, English. CNN keeps reporting that dad grew the Taliban beard and leaned his son’s new language in “solidarity” with his son. It appears that Bowe’s “health issue” is jihadist syndrome and if so is that even a health issue? The liberal media will eventually tell us this is a form of Stockholm syndrome when they can no longer keep it hidden from the public.

By his rose garden spectacle, Obama has put this in the public square for examination. Did the United States surrendered the Afghan war in the rose garden on Saturday May 31, 2014?

Trucorgi on June 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM

btw, is Bowe speaking English again..?

d1carter

When Bergdahl gives his inevitable interview to Oprah or Barbara, will he have ‘remembered’ English or will he need a translator?

Resist We Much on June 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM

No, we surrendered it when we elected Obama in November 2008.

AZCoyote on June 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Mika is always dumber than Jeantel.

How come this hag is paid on TV?

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Lots of bad actors suffer tragedy. Sometimes deserved, sometimes maybe not.

Sympathy in the midst of tragedy is appropriate, but that doesn’t mean we should suddenly decide to ignore the facts that the person is a screwup. It is appropriate to criticize the bad behavior that may have contributed to the tragedy. If it makes them feel guilt, then so be it. Feelings of guilt and experiencing consequences of bad actions is part of what teaches us to stop doing bad stuff.

When a parent leaves a child in a hot car and the kid dies, we can feel and express sympathy for the parent’s loss, but I think it is perfectly proper to criticize the negligence and lack of attention that led to the tragedy.

s1im on June 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Most people that look, act and talk like a kook …turn out to be kook.

lynncgb on June 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Have you read Baghdad Bob’s backstory? At one point in his life, he wanted to gather arms and go to Africa to fight against tribal warlords there.

He’s a total nutjob.

AZCoyote on June 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Mika is always dumber than Jeantel.

How come this hag is paid on TV?

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Because of who her daddy is.

AZCoyote on June 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM