Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on June 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal on Wednesday urged Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s critics not to “judge” him until all the facts are in and sharply defended the extensive and risky search efforts that claimed the lives of some of his fellow soldiers.

“We did a huge number of operations to try to stop the Taliban from being able to move him across the border into Pakistan,” McChrystal told Yahoo News in an exclusive interview. “And we made a great effort and put a lot of people at risk in doing that, but that’s what you should do. That’s what soldiers do for each other.”…

“We’re going to have to wait and talk to Sgt. Bergdahl now and get his side of the story,” he said. “One of the great things about America is we should not judge until we know the facts. And after we know the facts, then we should make a mature judgment on how we should handle it.”

***

***

While top GOP lawmakers and commentators are charging that it was wrong for the United States to barter with terrorists for the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, defense officials and analysts are defending the negotiations, saying the release of the Taliban leaders is not so dire for US armed forces.

For one, the US has not designated the Taliban, which held Sergeant Bergdahl captive for five years, as a terrorist organization, in part to allow the government to make exactly such deals when it needs to, the officials and analysts note.

Second, it’s not clear how valuable, or trusted, the Taliban leaders who have been held by the US for five years will be to an organization that is rather large and not lacking in leadership, they say.

***

A former chairman of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth defended Army sergeant Bowe Bergdahl’s fellow soldiers from a White House charge that they are unfairly “swiftboating” the former Taliban captive by coming forward to criticize him. Bergdahl’s questionable conduct, he suggests, is analogous to that of Secretary of State John Kerry, whom the group famously opposed in the 2004 presidential election.

“Those guys had friends who died in Afghanistan like we had friends who died in Vietnam, and to allow this kind of thing to occur really does tarnish the whole memory of all those people who gave their lives,” former co-chairman John O’Neill told National Review Online. “To allow a guy like this to be posed as a hero, like Kerry self-posing as a hero, is really an affront to everybody who died there, and that’s why those guys in his platoon have come forward and that’s why we came forward 40 years ago and ten years ago.”

***

White House aides were aware Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl had been tagged a deserter, and that they would be grilled over not keeping Congress in the loop. But they figured people would be most outraged over the national security implications.

The White House has been surprised by how much attention has remained on the questions about Bergdahl, from the circumstances of his disappearance to the wild beard his father grew while he was being held that’s even led to Bergdahl’s hometown canceling a celebration. All this, Obama aides say, is in their minds a proxy for the hatred toward the president.

The new PR plan: Frame the criticism as another example of Republicans complaining about something just because Obama was the one to do it…

Obama aides say they’re not worried about the prospect of weeks of segments on Fox News or hearings by a Republican House that has spent four years investigating and rebuffing the White House on issues like Solyndra and Fast and Furious.

***

President Barack Obama’s goal of closing the Guantanamo Bay prison is facing re-energized opposition from Republicans and increased questioning from fellow Democrats amid widespread anger in Congress over the swap of five Taliban detainees for the last American prisoner of war in Afghanistan.

Obama appeared to advance his effort last month when a Senate panel approved greater authority for him to transfer suspected terrorists to the United States, on condition he presented a plan to close Guantanamo and Congress approved it.

But the deal that freed Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl after five years of captivity has driven a new wedge between the president and lawmakers of both parties who accuse the Obama administration of breaking the law.

***

A State Department spokesman said today that the United States has not taken the position that it will never “negotiate with terrorists,” but rather that the United States will not make “concessions” to terrorists — an important distinction, in her mind, as she argued that the release of five Taliban leaders in exchange for captive Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl was not a concession.

“When people are saying the U.S. does not negotiate with terrorist groups, is that statute or is that general policy?” a reporter asked deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf during Wednesday’s press briefing.

“Well, our line is that we don’t make concessions,” Harf replied. “I mean, that’s the — you’re quoting it colloquial. That’s actually not what you’ll hear us say from the podium.”

***

“Save the deserter” is a recent battle cry of the politically indoctrinated brass. For much of our history, we did make some efforts to track down deserters in wartime. Then we shot or hanged them. Or, if we were in good spirits, we merely used a branding iron to burn a large D into their cheeks or foreheads. Even as we grew more enlightened, desertion brought serious time in a military prison. At hard labor…

It’s hard to believe that the resulting court-martial would not find Bergdahl guilty of desertion (although there will be heavy White House pressure to reduce the charge to Absent Without Leave, or AWOL, status, a lesser offense). If he is convicted, I for one do not want him to go to prison. I’m sure he’s paid and paid for betraying his comrades, quite possibly suffering brutal sexual violence. But if he is found guilty, he needs to be formally reduced to the rank of private, stripped of all privileges and entitlements (the taxpayer should not pay for a deserter’s lifelong health care — Bergdahl’s book and film deals can cover that), and he should be given the appropriate prison sentence, which would then be commuted by the president. Thereafter, let Mr. Bergdahl go home and live with himself.

As for President Obama, how about just one word of thanks to the families of those fallen soldiers you sent out to find Bowe Bergdahl?

***

I asked former Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Navy SEAL and Medal of Honor recipient who lost part of his leg in Vietnam, these questions. His answers were more haunting than I expected. We started with the Bergdahl case.

“He’s got men in his own unit asking for him to be court-martialed,” Kerrey said. “That matters. If he had fought his way out of an ambush and then was captured by the Taliban it would be a much different deal.”…

“It’s always difficult to do an exchange like this,” Kerrey said. “It’s always risky. Does this provoke the Taliban to want to take more U.S. prisoners? I honestly don’t know. It’s unfair to any prisoner over there to say they should not be brought home. But does it increase the risk to the remaining troops in Afghanistan? I do trust [Defense Secretary] Chuck Hagel and [Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman] Martin Dempsey and I believe they have thought this through. The president may have the best of the argument on the facts. But the idea there wouldn’t be blowback, I mean, I am constantly surprised at what [the White House is] surprised about. The president can say it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter to him. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter to other people.”…

“There are so many things weighing down on these kids. [Bergdahl's case] brings so much of it up to the surface. Maybe we should lay off on Bergdahl.”

***

***

Click the image to watch.

cm

***

Via RCP.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 9

obama’s azz, but choke. It will be the ultimate irony if he takes you with him.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Obama ignored chances to rescue Bergdahl on the ground because he WANTED a terror trade to help close down Guantanamo Bay, claim Pentagon sources

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I have no doubt this is true.

And I see that the Pentagon is striking back by leaking stories like this… seems they’ve had enough, too.

And here’s an angle I just thought about today…today is the 25th anniversary of Tiannenmen Square Massacre. Do you think O might have done this at this time as a favor to his Chi-Com buddies, to distract from the anniversary? (Leaving aside the question of what he thought the reaction would be)

Doc Holliday on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Erudite means “learned.”

I looked it up.

Axe on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I tried to comment at HuffPo a couple of hours ago. My comment was removed for pointing out the stupidity of the masses there. And there’s a lot. Does that answer your question?

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:11 PM

… but unfortunately, you can’t fix stupid.

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I read also they are opening a facility on some military base to take the “overflow.” Brewer wrote O. I’m sure he deep sixed her letter.

CoffeeLover on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Your nose is in perfect working order sir.

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

And MY perfect working order nose smells brown nosers. :-)

coolrepublica on June 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

All her bluegill type handles keep getting banned from twitter. She can claim to be anybody.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:25 PM

So in other words she really is delusional. Huh.

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Oooh! Did you decide to go to the Abbott dinner?

NativeTexan on June 4, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Yeah. I think me and the hubby can make it a day trip with no trouble.

mizflame98 on June 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Where’s RickB?

Oh, well, til he gets here….

One Republic – Burning Bridges

lineholder on June 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

CoffeeLover on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Yes, 4grace told me that.
Livid

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I ask you, who is in a better position to determine when a patient can go home–Me, a physician, standing next to the patient, or the bureaucrat 100 miles away with a cookbook of medical necessity and a degree in 15th century east european lesbian literature?

It’s a good thing these are done over the phone. Otherwise, there would be blood…Grrrrrrrr.

Doc Holliday on June 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I’ve only used this technique once-and it was because they were outrageously denying a recommended follow up MRI for me, but I threatened to report the peer reviewer to the state medical board and the insurance company to the insurance board. They came around quite quickly-but the refusal was egregious. You couldn’t use that tactic on an ordinary length of stay refusal. The even more annoying thing was they kept saying my PCP had withdrawn the request for a bilateral study and changed it to unilateral. She had only done that after arguing with them for an hour, but then the insurance doc and the lower level person tried to pretend they had never denied coverage for the bilateral study, it was my doc that suddenly, after chatting with them for an hour, in the middle of the day, when she had office hours, just casually saw the light.

Good luck.

talkingpoints on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

All obama-azz-dwellers, he hates, really hates you.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Allow me.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

You’re kinda’ quick there lawman.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Bark said not to worry, those 5 savages aren’t a big deal, in fact they are so not a big deal that we’ve kept them locked up in Gitmo for years.

Bishop on June 4, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I give it 6 months, tops, and he’ll be Hosting
the “Missing Links” of Humanity at the White House,
to bestow Medals of Freedom on them….

ToddPA on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I’m going to have to go to bed but I want to share a story first. This happened a long time ago to my grgrgrandmother’s brother. He had been in the British army and served in India, Afghanistan, South Africa and Australia. Then he came here and served in the Modoc War. He got sick and was in a bad way when one of the GAR guys found him. He and his buddies took care of the sick soldier until he died. This explains why he was probably buried in the GAR section of the cemetery even though he wasn’t in the Civil War. They had respect for him as a fellow soldier.

This is what real military people do even now.

crankyoldlady on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

bluegill is Willaim Stauff?? o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I was telling I think KOOLAID last night that she reminded me of that Simpsons episode where Gary Coleman is a security guard. He’s talking on the phone and Bart & Lisa discover the phone isn’t even connected! :D

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Bmore, beard, not the mooch. Thanks.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Remember the scene from “Cheers” when Norm comes in, everyone greets him, and Sam asks him what’s up? And Norm answers,
“It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there, and I’m wearing Milk-Bone undershorts.” Remember that one? Still cracks me up!
Good evening, all.

Alien on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Doc Holliday on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

interesting thought but I’m with RWM on this. He’s looking at his legacy mostly. Ocare is collapsing all around him. 2nd choice….close Gitmo no matter what it takes. (Just like what he/they did with Obamacare). Chinese are not as important as HE IS…because he’s all about I, Me and I.

CoffeeLover on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Why is it the only impeached presidents have been Democrats?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Ahhh
… to be under 40 and NOT remember Nixon with rancid disgust.

;->

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

– need to worry about being rescued.

Axe on June 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Eeys wuvs yews da bitcoins, tew!

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Worse than that. Its a poser and a traitor sent here to scan threads and do damage by banning as many as it can.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Wasn’t there a poster here by the name of Panther who trolled the same way, and ended up getting banned for it after Ed’s patience ran out? I wonder if history shall be repeating itself soon… ;)

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

How could you watch the Taliban video and not hurl?

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I don’t trust what McChrystal said. If the chain of command is that broken and he’s being honest, we’re just screwed.

I trust our guys on the ground first, their overlords only after careful review and dissemination of their carefully crafted statements.

The traitor left a note, and it wasn’t the first time he ‘wandered off’. I don’t believe McChrystal wasn’t aware of that, but at the same time he had to justify the search. I reserve my right to judge the traitor who deserted and cost good men’s lives for what he is, a traitorous worm.

Diluculo on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Diluculo on June 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Yes.To each their own. I like to talk at it, around it, but seldom to quote it going forward. ; )

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Yeah. I think me and the hubby can make it a day trip with no trouble.

mizflame98 on June 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Well yeah. FTW is only a couple of hours for you guys. Be sure and shake Greg’s hand for me!

NativeTexan on June 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Triumph – Rocky Mountain Way

lineholder on June 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Yes … but unfortunately, you can’t fix stupid.

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

At least 65 million from last tally.

Allow me.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Oh. My. Dear. Lord!

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Newt; At least Johnson’s answer to them was (paraphrasing) ‘See these balls?’
DemetriusPhalerum on June 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Yep! Lincoln was correct to go with Johnson as a running mate.

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Yes Panther liked to stick its shit stained fingers in its own nose and then at Christ.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Ahhh … to be under 40 and NOT remember Nixon with rancid disgust.

;->

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Well, Nixon didn’t get impeached. He WOULD have if he hadn’t resigned first. But that’s hair splitting I guess. Rancid disgust is appropriate none the less.

Diluculo on June 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Erudite means “learned.”

I looked it up.

Axe on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

………..and the meaning of “Hey – Look at these folds in the skin of my body between my legs *sniiiiif*……and it SMELLS GRRREAT!” is encapsulated by the following words in two different languages:

“Obama”

“Bill O’Reilly”

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM

talkingpoints on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I will win this argument. She is still on IV antibiotics, getting surgical debridements, and having problems with her lungs, just to name a few.
And more practically, she can’t freakin’ walk.

Doc Holliday on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

NativeTexan on June 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Will do Native. I’ll see if I can blog about it for PolitiChicks too.

mizflame98 on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Oh. My. Dear. Lord!

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I am actually very proud of her for making twitchy. Plus I want to know if she prefers black labs to bay retrievers.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

KISS – I Was Made For Lovin’ You

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Playin’ our song, again, Newtie? :)

Doc Holliday on June 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I think you will like it..listen to the lyrics.

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I do. :) And I listened. Twice. Three — but I wasn’t really listening then.

Possibly four . . . I’m nout sure. If so, I wasn’t listening at all then . . . but I can hardly be held responsible for knowing all the things I haven’t heard — SHEESH — CUT ME SOME SLACK MAN — OMG — OMG

Axe on June 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Pamela Brown………

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

For the record however, the two are not the same. They are of a different strain.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

ldren’s shelters in Arizona are overflowing after the arrival of hundreds of Central American immigrants transferred from Texas, the epicenter of a massive arrival of undocumented children characterized by President Barack Obama as an “urgent humanitarian situation.” The Guatemalan Consulate in Phoenix said that this week it received 70 of its country’s citizens who were released at the Greyhound bus station by U.S. immigration authorities. The migrants were brought from Texas, where the children’s shelters and detention centers are full due to the avalanche of undocumented Central Americans in recent months. bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

DHS didn’t warn anyone. Not local LE, not even Greyhound.

They just dumped them there in 110 heat.

30-40 a day here in Tucson.

(thanks for posting the link)

wolly4321 on June 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM

coolrepublica and Koch tried a tag team on JFKY over in the Van Jones thread. Seeing how he reacted when Panther did something similar, I don’t think Ed would approve if he found out. =)

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Still no Sparky….

KCB on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Lolz! Okay. ; )

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I am speechless. Were that type of, I can’t even think of a word, thought about me I’d crawl into a free woodpile and die. ;)

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Yes … but unfortunately, you can’t fix stupid.

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

…But You Can ‘Accidentally’ Back Over It With Your Car!

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Read Frederick Forsyth’s The Devil’s Alternative.

The US is forced to release dangerous terrorists, but the Israelis give us a way out.

I always figured that if anyone had such a ruthless plan up their sleeves, it would be the Israelis.

A Chair of Some Kind on June 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

wolly4321 on June 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

No prob.

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Ahhh … to be under 40 and NOT remember Nixon with rancid disgust.

;->

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Diluculo on June 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Nixon was the first Presidential candidate that I voted for……..

If he’d been running in the last Election – I would have Voted For Him AGAIN!! and LIKED it!

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Those I believe are of the same strain. Of course this is all based on my instincts and is all but unprovable. Ed was suffering with migraines today. I saw him state such on tweety. Now would not be an optimum time to present anything to him. ; )

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Axe on June 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM

OMG! LOL..Macadamia.

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Suck up.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Erudite means “learned.”

I looked it up.

Axe on June 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

“Obama”

“Bill O’Reilly”

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Tingles is back on his meds and williamg, well….

**love ya**

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

wolly4321 on June 4, 2014 at 11:37 PM

sadly they don’t care. Ends justify the means. Collapse the system Allinsky

CoffeeLover on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

crankyoldlady on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Niters and sleep well, COL!

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

coolrepublica on June 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM

And the night was going so well…..

Barred on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I saw that when I got home. The thread was ruined before I even got there. A shame really.

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Lolz!

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Will do Native. I’ll see if I can blog about it for PolitiChicks too.

mizflame98 on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Oh! I totally forgot you write for them!! That would be awesome.

NativeTexan on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Or does everyone just want to wait for blood to flow in the streets?

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM

True – I was thinking of conviction. Blood in the streets, huh?

kcewa on June 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Tipping points

7 In 10 Americans Believe The Crisis Is Not Over Or Worst Is Yet To Come: 52% Can’t Afford Their Homes

China Scrambling After “Discovering” Thousands Of Tons Of Rehypothecated Copper, Aluminum Missing

Just for clarity, rehypothecation is using the same “hard” asset as collateral for mutiple loans each for the full value of the asset.

Just for reference, the last time this happened was September 2008 when the global economic markets almost collapsed.

What happens when ALL the banks close globally and no one’s credit/EBT card works and 7 out of 10 people realize they were right ALL along?

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Barred on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Left you a message here.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Suck up.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Yo, Coz — you called me the same thing the other night. New meme?

Alien on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

coolrepublica and Koch tried a tag team on JFKY over in the Van Jones thread.
non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Some people have all the fun.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Still no Sparky….
KCB on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I’m told to wait patiently, Ken. Besides, isn’t it early for Sparkie to show?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Allow me.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

You Gotta LOVE THAT!!……I don’t care WHO ya’ are – you Gotta Love That!!

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Hi grams!

coolrepublica on June 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Allow me.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

…how long before that account gets closed?

KOOLAID2 on June 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

New meme?

Alien on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

No, old one. I calls them how I sees them.

You face hugging Suck up.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Suck up.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I have my reasons bro.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Where’s RickB?

Oh, well, til he gets here….

One Republic – Burning Bridges

lineholder on June 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I’m hiding, people are linking bluegills twitter page and making her happy

RickB on June 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Looking Glass – Brandy

lineholder on June 4, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Some people have all the fun.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

We also played hide and seek and pat a cake. Lol

coolrepublica on June 4, 2014 at 11:46 PM

KOOLAID2 on June 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

You mean based on her past track record. A month or two maybe?

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Barred on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

…TROLLCOT…!!!… hold fast!
…it’s already doing the Dr. Tesla antics!

KOOLAID2 on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Nixon was the first Presidential candidate that I voted for……..

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

I’m too young to have considered voting at the time. The cover up disgusted me. Tales of his weird desires for the whitehouse to be treated as buckingham palace also disgusted me, but that’s just me.

I think presidents have a duty to be painfully honest, even if it costs them their jobs. It’s what everyone should expect from the leader of the land.

Diluculo on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Behind the scenes at MSNBC.

tanked59 on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Eeys wuvs yews da bitcoins, tew!

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

{{{{{ x everything x }}}}}

On this one? I’ve been reading it.

I know that this story has been covered earlier, but new quotes:

‘Welcome home’ parade in honor of Bowe Bergdahl is CANCELED after local Army commander calls it a ‘monstrous profanity’

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Some of those quotes are pretty . . . they are excellent because they are clear-headed and straightforward.

It would be more monstrous still if this ceremony were to, in any way, heap undeserved adulation on Bergdahl, or to adopt the sickly hue of ostentatious jingoism that all too often colors such occasions.

I do, however, think it is incumbent upon members of this community to come to terms with the fact that, while one town will soon be reunited with a native son, there are six other towns scattered across this country that never will be.

He added: ‘Until he is cleared of the charges against him, this man deserves no applause. For now, the only appropriate response is silence.’

‘From my standpoint, our celebration will focus on Bowe Bergdahl’s release and the relief of his family and those who live here.

‘Again, from my standpoint, any celebration exists separate and apart from any objective inquiry on how Bergdahl was captured.’

^ I kinda like that real-time handling, juggling needs. It smacks of actual leadership.

Axe on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

True, PA. Impeachment is the responsibility of the House. Punishment for said impeachment lies with the Senate, and if they shirk their duty in that regard the House’s action is just farting with the wind. See: Clinton, William J.

DemetriusPhalerum on June 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM

See: Gore, Albert Arnold

The MSM narrative is that Clinton’s impeachment was “farting the wind”.

The political reality was completely the opposite.

PolAgnostic on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Yo, Coz — you called me the same thing the other night. New meme?

Alien on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

He’s a rather mean man, :)

…how long before that account gets closed?

KOOLAID2 on June 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I will be interested to know. Just for sh*ts & giggles.

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Here ya go- Coffee Lover

California navy base readies to house migrant kids

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Tingles is back on his meds and williamg, well….

**love ya**

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Love you, too Sophie!…..I’ll be fine……eventually…..

I always recollect that, when offered a “joint” at a party – I would take the “Harlan Ellison” Gambit:

“Not ’till I come down, man…..”

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM

B9, it really is obscene. Did you read the link I posted for Wolly….

CoffeeLover on June 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

New meme?

Alien on June 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

No, old one. I calls them how I sees them.

You face hugging Suck up.

cozmo on June 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Or face-sucking hug up, as the case may be.

It’s good to be insulted by the best. I feel all … tingly.

Besides, you’re just jealous because my sucking-up netted me a HUGE smooch from Beauty.

Alien on June 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I have some proof I think Ed would be interested in. =)

What do you think is motivating the poser/traitor?

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM

RickB on June 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Actually RickB it upsets her. You may want to scim a wee bit of this thread. ; )

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM

The irony of Obama-ite liberal jackass McChrystal getting fired by O’Bozo for mocking Biden … it’s almost too rich. And now the defense of Akmed Bergdahl. Beauty.

Jaibones on June 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM

RickB on June 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM

LOL. Okay. I thought for a minute I would have to play some Coldplay

lineholder on June 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Here ya go- Coffee Lover
California navy base readies to house migrant kids
bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Didn’t Frankenstein just get BACK from Mexico City? Now THIS is happening??

Lordy, whatinell did zero give away THIS time?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Diluculo on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Nixon was like every other President – Batsh*t Crazy……they ALL are……’cept mebbe Reagan

He just came down on the side of “right” more often than the current occupant….

williamg on June 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM

bazil9 on June 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I read that one too!!!

I swear today has been a cacophony of screaming in my head. Every direction I took led me to wanting to smash my head against the wall….I’m so over the daily onslaught of crap news. Can’t help wonder what will be next.

CoffeeLover on June 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Good question. I have no idea. What motivates anyone anymore? Could be any number of reasons.

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 11:23 PM

step back and think about that for a minute..

you believe somebody has been ‘sent here’ (with marching orders? paid?) to ‘do damage’ to hot air by getting commentors banned.

you believe that somebody other than commentors here cares that much about what the commentors (not even the bloggers..the COMMENTORS) are saying at hot air.

you believe somebody cares enough to PAY somebody to ‘do damage’

you believe the best way of ‘doing damage’ this person can come up with is getting COMMENTORS (who are really insignificant and inconsequential in the scheme of things) banned.

you believe this all makes sense even though it sounds really ineffective in terms of time and money..to go about things that way..paying somebody to bait commentors in the HOPES that they MAYBE hopefully someday lose there sheet.

thats completely insane.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Why? Why Why Why Why Why Why Why?

I just can’t wrap my head around the logic behind the Bowe Bergdahl release, maybe nobody can. Maybe that’s the point. Read:

But officials in the Pentagon and intelligence communities had successfully fought off release of the five men in the past, officials tell TIME. “This was out of the norm,” says one official familiar with the debate over the dangers of releasing the five Taliban officials. “There was never the conversation.” Obama’s move was an ultimate victory for those at the White House and the State Department who had previously argued the military should “suck it up and salute,” says the official familiar with the debate.

Obama has broad authority under Article II of the U.S. Constitution to order the prisoner exchange as commander in chief of America’s armed forces. The lengths to which he went to bring it about show how determined he was to resolve the lingering issue of America’s only prisoner of war in Afghanistan.

We traded five high-value targets for one soldier, who, if the allegations are true, deserted, renounced his citizenship, got six of his fellow soldiers killed trying to kind him, and quite possibly collaborated with the enemy.

Meanwhile, our “friends” in Qatar are already allowing the released Taliban the freedom to wander around the country. It’s safe to assume it won’t be long before they’re back to doing what terrorists do, as even our president himself has admitted.

But what did the White House think would happen? What did they think would be worth overriding all those internal objections? Why did they feel one deserter was worth five top-level Taliban?

Ralph Peters says the White House was “blindsided” by the reaction. Here he is in NRO:

The president, too, appears stunned. He has so little understanding of (or interest in) the values and traditions of our troops that he and his advisers really believed that those in uniform would erupt into public joy at the news of Bergdahl’s release — as D.C. frat kids did when Osama bin Laden’s death was trumpeted.

This is exactly why an executive has people he needs to listen to, to avoid stepping in such giant piles of his own doo. Instead, Obama put his hands over his ears and shouted LALALALALALALA while arranging the release of five of the most dangerous killers in the world in exchange for a deserter. If Obama was blindsided, it’s because he chose to be willfully and inexcusably blind.

Did Obama think Bergdahl would get a hero’s welcome and that would be the end of it, that nobody would look into how or why he left his unit? Was he brought home to face trial? If so, why did the White House call him a “war hero”?

This is all so full of self-defeating stupid that it can’t be possible that the president overrode so many in his own administration to get it done.

And yet he did. He increased the risk to Americans abroad and here at home. He made himself look desperate on the world stage — and one doesn’t hesitate to add the word “again.” He made himself look like the most boneheaded “horrible boss” to the Army and to the intelligence community. He sent out Susan Rice once more to sell the media on another transparent lie.

And for what? All he seems to have gotten out of this is yet another scandal, larded on top of all the others. It’s as though he were playing Russian Roulette with a fully-loaded pistol — no good could ever come out of it.

I’m at a loss. How about you?

Resist We Much on June 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM