GOP establishment wonders: Is it time to abandon Thad Cochran?

posted at 6:41 pm on June 4, 2014 by Allahpundit

Realistically, Cochran’s got maybe a 10 percent chance of winning the runoff. McDaniel’s base is excited to knock off the incumbent and outside groups like the Senate Conservatives Fund are prepared to keep pumping in money to send a conservative to the Senate. Cochran’s base, which includes lots of casual voters who favor him for name-recognition reasons alone, probably can’t be bothered to trudge to the polls for the second time in three weeks. That’s why insurgent candidates almost always pull the upset once they make it to a runoff. The only way to get Cochran voters back out there on June 24th is for his allies to spend boatloads more money tearing down McDaniel and promoting Cochran. And if it doesn’t work and McDaniel wins the runoff anyway, then you’ve spent three more weeks tearing your party’s new nominee apart for no reason.

The NRSC insists it’s “all in” for Cochran, but don’t kid yourself. They’re saying that as a precaution, until Team Establishment can huddle and come to a decision. They may end up going in again for Cochran, but rest assured, it won’t be “all in.” And some outfits, like Karl Rove’s group American Crossroads, won’t go in at all.

“The Club for Growth and Senate Conservatives Fund will bankrupt themselves just to make their point. The NRSC, the chamber don’t have that luxury—they’re looking at a Republican majority,” one pro-Cochran strategist said…

American Crossroads, for one, announced Wednesday afternoon that it wouldn’t get involved in the contentious runoff. “We have completed our work on Senate primaries this cycle … this is not our fight,” spokesman Paul Lindsay said. Crossroads didn’t air ads in the primary, but it donated $120,000 to the pro-Cochran super PAC Mississippi Conservatives, according to Henry Barbour, the nephew of former Gov. Haley Barbour, who runs the group.

Cochran faces disadvantages in the runoff that range from his lethargic campaign effort to the likelihood of a smaller, more-conservative turnout in three weeks and the prohibition on Democratic crossover voters participating in the election.

Establishment groups are reportedly meeting today to decide how to play it. At a minimum, it sounds like they’re going to stop trying to tie McDaniel to that repellent invasion of Mrs. Cochran’s privacy in her nursing home, since obviously they don’t want to hurt the likely nominee at this point any more than they have to. The campaign from here on out will be strictly (or mostly) pro-Cochran, not anti-McD. But look: Given the long odds and the fact that Cochran palpably didn’t want to run this race in the first place, isn’t backing off and letting the guy magnanimously concede the decent thing to do at this point? C’mon.

Cochran created his own problems, too, frustrating national Republicans last year by wringing his hands over whether to retire and surprising many in the Republican establishment when he announced in late December, two months after McDaniel announced his campaign, that he would seek reelection to a seventh term.

“I don’t think Cochran was as prepared for this challenge as other incumbents who have dealt with similar challenges. He didn’t have a lot of money or a real campaign infrastructure,” says a strategist for the McDaniel campaign. Mississippi heavyweights such as former governor Haley Barbour and his sons, Austin and Henry; the state’s current governor, Phil Bryant; and former Senate majority leader Trent Lott all stepped in to boost Cochran.

Cochran supporters worked to turn out Democratic voters, placing an ad in a Jackson-based newspaper with a largely African-American readership. (That strategy is limited in the next three weeks because Mississippi election law forbids anybody who voted in Tuesday’s Democratic primary from voting in the runoff election of the opposite party.) In the end, though, even his strongest backers were expressing reservations.

Sure sounds to me like he wanted to retire, was fully prepared to, but then was begged by establishment GOPers both inside and outside of Mississippi after the shutdown in October to hang on just a bit longer in the name of crushing the tea-party challenge back home. For all his weaknesses on the stump, running a long-time incumbent like Cochran again was obviously the best play for pro-pork, pro-business-lobby Republicans to thwart a guy who’s positioning himself as another “defund”-style Cruz conservative. They propped Cochran up with an on-the-fly reelection campaign, he played along, and together they almost pulled it off. Almost. Why not pat the guy on the back for pouring 40 years’ worth of federal dollars into the trough in Mississippi and let him play golf instead of running him around for another month? Especially since, if they’re not “all in” against McDaniel, Cochran’s odds of winning are even smaller than everyone expects.

In lieu of an exit question, read Philip Klein on why the tea party’s already won in Mississippi regardless of what happens in the runoff. The goal here, always, is to pressure Republicans in Congress into voting a more conservative line. The best way to do that is to elect conservatives, but merely scaring the shinola out of an incumbent in a losing effort is enough to make the rest of the caucus sit up and take notice.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yes. If he has decency he saves the good people the expense of the next round, the coot.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Stay in, GOPe. The TEA party is dead anyway. A couple more election cycles should finish us off.

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Wish I could agree with you, but heard on Fox news a short while ago that the establishment is going to be aggressively supporting Cochran.

The NRSC has no shame. Their only job should be to support the eventual nominee for the general. But they won’t.

Oh yeah, and the Fox report also said Ds would be POURING money into MS if Chris wins. Total nonsense.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Time for some new leadership. It just is.

Whitey Ford on June 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

GOP establishment wonders: Is it time to abandon Thad Cochran?

Yup.

Stoic Patriot on June 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Yes, unless the GOP stands for desperate creepy old men who have clung on to power far FAR too long that abandon their wife in a nursing home to shack up with their aides on the taxpayer dime…

ConstantineXI on June 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Cochran is why I ONLY donate to individual candidates that I support and NEVER to the RNC or NRSC.

ConstantineXI on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

AP, it’s the ‘so-called’ establishment…

Midas on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

We do know he isn’t a good judge of his friends.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Tea Party Patriots: Thad Cochran Must Debate Chris McDaniel Now

I don’t really know a lot about this race. But I do know that if Thad Cochran won’t debate, it means that Cochran is either trying to hide from the issues or feels he’s too old to debate effectively. If Cochran won’t debate I think a lot of pre-runoff voters will switch from Cochran to McDaniel.

anotherJoe on June 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Fossil Thad remembers back when the Senate Dining Room had bronze flatware.

viking01 on June 4, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Time to abandon him? Come on he’s only been in Washington since the Johnson Administration. Give him a chance will ya?

Ted Torgerson on June 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I would have thought that NRSC backing Cochran was expected if it hadn’t been for that piece you linked from The Atlantic yesterday. He is just not up to the job anymore. Am I the only one who thinks Sen.Cochran leaving the race would be a real sign of goodwill from the Republican “civil war”.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

ConstantineXI on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Yep, I’m sure most conservatives would agree with you.

I just had a look at the old guy’s facebook page. Doesn’t look to me like he will be conceding any time soon.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Sen.Cochran leaving the race would be a real sign of goodwill from in the Republican “civil war”.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Cochran needs to just drop out…but probably won’t.

AUINSC on June 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

If Cochran loses what are the odds on him actually endorsing McDaniel?

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

So there is actual proof that there is a direct tie to McDaniel to what one of his supporters did? I missed that in the news.

Happy Nomad on June 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

We do know he isn’t a good judge of his friends.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I’ll take my chances with McDaniel.

Wigglesworth on June 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I have serious doubts he knows what facebook is, just like the tweet welcoming Bowe home. I think his staff is running the show.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

If Cochran loses what are the odds on him actually endorsing McDaniel?

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

As bitter as this campaign has been, I’m guessing no.

Happy Nomad on June 4, 2014 at 7:01 PM

As a lifelong Republican public servant, I sincerely hope that my party will continue to vie for Federal money and continue to fend off these extremist Teabaggers.

President Obama has real solutions to the nation’s problems, and these Teabagger extremists are just getting in the way and making my party look bad. I hereby announce my support for the democrat in the Senate race.

Signed,

Thad Cochran- 5 minutes after losing runoff.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Oh, absolutely. They are keeping him on a short leash, and avoiding interviews. The last time he talked to a reporter he ended up praising Obamacare, and of course his campaign had to do damage control.

There are rumors that Cochran isn’t all there mentally. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is true.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Cochran isn’t all there mentally. The few times he did interviews, it was bad. So I think McD wins.

As for the general… I would keep him in interviews with favorable media as much as possible and run as much positive ads as possible. Heck, I would even consider skipping debating the Dem challenger.

dforston on June 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I, for one, hope the Dems pour money into MS when McDaniel wins. That will be money wasted here and diverted from other places. No Dem is going to win in the MS general election regardless of who the Republican nominee is.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

We do know he isn’t a good judge of his friends.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Come on McDaniel will win in a walk. MS is blood red.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Tea Party Patriots: Thad Cochran Must Debate Chris McDaniel Now

Look, I definitely respect our elders. But there are dozens of other older senators that relish debate. That’s part of being a senator, whether you be 40 or 80. Debate is simply part of the game of being a senator. If Cochran won’t debate then maybe he should consider retiring.

anotherJoe on June 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I don’t know…. the mudslinging is coming from his campaign handlers, not Cochran himself. I blame the Barbours….. Haley and his sons…. for the poison that has been used in the campaign.

I’m guessing the old guy will be relieved when it is over. Don’t think he will pull a Lugar.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I’m going with old.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM

he should spend some time with his wife…….

dmacleo on June 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I agree, but doubt the Ds will be stupid enough to spend resources on MS. It would be like the Rs spending millions on trying to win NJ. Won’t happen.

And Ds resources will be stretched very badly as they try to defend NC, AR, and so on.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I think it’s time to dump Cochran and hope and pray McDaniel can keep his mouth shut and there aren’t any more skeletons on his closet.

They need to cut a deal with the guy first. He needs to keep his head down till November and do nothing more than parrot vacuities and have all his speeches and ads vetted by the NRSC guys.

Yeps, someone needs to be the grown up in the room.

joana on June 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I certainly think Allah agrees with that, Cindy:

Jaibones on June 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM

My county, here in the NW Corner of the Magnolia State, went for McDaniel to the tune of 63%.

It’s time for a change.

kingsjester on June 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM

joana on June 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM

There are no “skeletons in the closet” of McDaniel, that’s only in the minds of the NRSC morons.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM

It’s TEA Party, Allah.

TEA Party.

novaculus on June 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Have the absentee ballots been counted yet?

SouthernGent on June 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM

We do know he isn’t a good judge of his friends.

Tater Salad on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Oh, so now any idiot who does something improper who you happen to recognize on sight is your friend?

Jayrae on June 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM

anotherJoe on June 4, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I’m from MS and have been following this race closely. I suspect that Cochran may possibly be suffering from the early stages of dementia. He has been disconnected, distant, and out of touch throughout. He claims to have never heard of the TEA party (twice!). He refuses to debate McDaniel. He even failed to speak at his own campaign rally on election night. Something is going on behind the scenes there. If Cochran pulls out or the GOPe pulls support for him, that suspicion will grow.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I sure hope not.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Hopefully you’re right.

Do you guarantee this is the worse he’s ever said:

joana on June 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Don’t think he will pull a Lugar.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Nope. A Glock holds more shots.

Judge_Dredd on June 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM

If Cochran loses what are the odds on him actually endorsing McDaniel?

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I expect the odds are pretty good, actually. Cochran doesn’t want the job, anyway. Plus, there is a rumor that his staff has been running the show and making all of his decision for years now. He’ll do whatever he is told to do. GOPe has been covertly making conciliatory moves toward McDaniel for a week or two now. I think they secretly want control of the Senate more than they want to put the TEA party in its place now that most of the primaries are over.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Cochran is becoming an embarrassment…

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Come on McDaniel will win in a walk. MS is blood red.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Yep.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I sure hope not.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM

If he’s senile enough he may yell: “Top of the world ma! Top of the world!

viking01 on June 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Haley is more disappointed than Thad….

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I must have missed where the RINO senators from the South decided that they needed to answer the call of History.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I think he’s losing it mentally. It seems the Barbour family are the ones really running the campaign.

It’s rather disgraceful, really, that they are doing this to Cochran. Of course he could have refused, but I’m sure they made a strong pitch for him to run again. Also there were rumors that if he won again he would retire shortly after.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Sure hope so, because a lot of conservatives are watching closely to see how they treat Chris, especially now.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Jaibones on June 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I know that he thinks it’s a good idea but I was wondering if he thought it would help mend some fences.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM

. I think they secretly want control of the Senate more
yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Secretly? There’s nothing secret about it. Anyone with half a brain wants the Republicans to control the Senate.

The crazies need to stop projecting.

joana on June 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I have to say that between his actions and some of the remarks from our HotAirians from Mississippi that I have become very disappoint in Haley Barbour.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM

…email and twitter him…thanking him for his service!

KOOLAID2 on June 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM

The crazies need to stop projecting.

joana on June 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

viking01 on June 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Power….

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM

It escapes me as to why the GOP establishment is so hell-bent on destroying candidates supported by what is essentially the rank and file of their party. It is a coalition comprised of a solid majority of Americans who could hand the GOP a sizeable majority in Congress. Their key demand of elected officials is primarily one of demonstrating leadership and serving the wishes of their constituency, not the whims of Washington.

Instead, we hear from Senate Minority Leader McConnell that the establishment intends to “crush us.” This, even as they arrogantly expect us to line up behind them in November? Well, if the establishmentarians believe such bravado will cow us into irrelevance, to them I say, we have only begun to fight.

Dan_NV on June 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM

It’s a sad ending for Cochran either way.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

It’s a sad ending for Cochran either way.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM

This…

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM

NBC reporting the #GOP is all-in for Cochran and going to keep poking the TeaParty in the eye as long as possible, damn the costs.

HopeHeFails on June 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I don’t think Cochran would complete another term if he won….

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Same here. I changed my mind about Barbour when he issued all those pardons immediately before he left office. Now this.

I used to like him.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I don’t think that’s an unusual situation in congress.

bofh on June 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I know very little about McDaniel, but we better be sure he isn’t Mourdock, Angle, or Aiken. In these situations you have to ask is the “grass greener” if we change horses?We do know he isn’t a good judge of his friends.
Tater Salad on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

We’re dealing with stupid voters if being clumsy on one topic like Murdock or Aiken yet 80 or 90% in alignment with conservatives compared to the incumbent who was 60 or 70% in alignment. Or Angle smeared for being strongly antiamnesty and falsely attributed as a troother who also is a 80-90% er going up against Harry (pedophile) Reid. Instead of blaming her, how about blaming the 19% republicans who voted for Dingy Harry? In other words, stop blaming Murdock and Angle for losing when the GOPe should be pilloried for supporting the donk opponent. In Aiken’s case, conservatives got played by the DC establishment, especially since Aiken wasn’t a tea party candidate but actually a moderate conservative.

We’re also dealing with stupid on our “side” when they mindlessly repeat DC talking points. Heck, even COD would, could have been better than Castle or Coons. How’s Coon working out for his conservative constituents? I bet they wish they had someone who was at least 60%, if not 80% compared to Coon’s 5% or Castle’s 40%. But electability!!!!

AH_C on June 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The Democrats are going to spend money in support of Childers that could be spent helping Begich, Hagan, Pryor, Walsh, Braley, Shaheen, Grimes, Warner, & Peters? What a load of bull.

topdawg on June 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM

If Cochran loses what are the odds on him actually endorsing McDaniel?

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

The same as Lugar endorsing Murdock or Castle endorsing O’Donnell.

topdawg on June 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I think it’s time to dump Cochran

Agreed.

I think the Akin effect has severely overblown McDaniel’s negatives, especially for a state like MS. I’m sure there will be some “gotcha” audio from his former radio show that will be trotted out at an inopportune time, but most voting Mississippians won’t care much. In fact, depending on what the quote is about, they may mostly agree with it despite shameless pearl clutching from the national media. Regardless, I sincerely doubt the quote will be bad enough to make MS elect a Democrat.

Eh. He’s done pretty well so far. His biggest “gaffe” to date is saying that he would need more info on the Katrina relief bill to be able to vote for it. In a state whose voters are dominated by fiscal conservatives and a rugged streak of independence, that’s far from a deal-breaker.

Yeps, someone needs to be the grown up in the room.

joana on June 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM

The ONLY grownups in the room are those pushing balanced budgets, personal freedom attached to personal responsibility, and a significantly reduced federal government that obeys the Constitution.

Hint: The GOPe isn’t preaching ANY of those things.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Sure I’ve been in D.C. for 42 years and have done nothing to slow the cost and size of government, I love pork, I even like Obamacare, but these next six years will be different. I just have that feeling baby! -Thad Cochran

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Dan_NV on June 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Political Class Republicans have more in common with Democrats than they have with the conservative base.

Political Class Democrats’ and Republicans’ differences are largely over who gets to drive the federal gravy train, stopping it at their stations and putting the gravy on their biscuits.

The TEA Party wants to stop the federal gravy train and stop borrowing gravy from China. No more extra gravy. That means they are an even bigger threat to Political Class Republicans than the Democrats.

novaculus on June 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM

The same as Lugar endorsing Murdock or Castle endorsing O’Donnell.

topdawg on June 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM

He had a lot of goodwill built up in MS. If he loses here and endorses the democrat, he will lose the goodwill he had, and also tarnish his legacy.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Power….

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:28 PM

If he is this big a horse patoot as the former governor of Mississippi, can you imagine if he was president. He’s on the road to make Obama look like a piker. These people need to get over themselves.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM

The crazies need to stop projecting.

joana on June 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I’m not projecting, nor am I a “crazy.” To date, the GOPe has shown that it is much more interested in beating down its conservative base rather than actually winning elections. If the GOPe wanted to win the VA governorship last year, for instance, all they had to do was support Cuccinelli. They refused to do so, and Cuccinelli very, VERY narrowly lost to a horrible person/politician/Democrat as a result. For that matter, Akin in MO would have won with just a little bit of support from the GOPe. People forget that despite his idiotic/offensive remarks, he still BARELY lost.

And, BTW, anyone with a FULL brain wants conservatives to control the Senate, not the GOPe.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Thad Cochran just deleted his tweet praising Bergdahl:

(Ps- my tweet is on Twitchy!! Such a moment)

bluegill on June 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Mourdock had already won statewide, there was no reason to think he couldn’t do it again.

Angle had no problems winning the independents that she supposedly had no chance of winning. She won them by a solid five points. She only lost due to squishes voting for Reid.

Akin was only the nominee due to Brunner & Steelman splitting the vote

topdawg on June 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Something that just occurred to me is that this should give a boost to Milton Wolf, the conservative challenger to Pat Roberts. I know Chris hasn’t won it outright yet, but he will.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Protect the lifer who needs to be reminded to shake people’s hands at a meet n greet.

Bishop on June 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM

If’n it’s going to be hands-off on McDaniel, what’s Cochran going to runon?

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Any Kansans on this board? How is that race looking?

topdawg on June 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I’m from MS, and Haley Barbour has definitely become a liability. He is classic GOPe. His ardent support of an unConstitutional expansion of eminent domain in MS while he was governor is a great example.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM

(Ps- my tweet is on Twitchy!! Such a moment)

bluegill on June 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Congrats gilled one!

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Having a US Senator in your pocket (by proxy) and having the ability to name the next US Senator is a powerful thing…

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM

topdawg on June 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I’d love to know too. That race has had scant attention, as the focus has been on MS. However, if Cochran can be defeated, so can Roberts.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I don’t think Cochran would complete another term if he won….

d1carter on June 4, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I’m pretty sure Cochran’s plan is to retire in two years if he wins. That way, the GOPe governor of MS gets to hand-pick his successor.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM

gilled one, You should have linked it for the folks here at HA. Would you like me to add it to your blog?

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Honest question: assuming McDaniel wins the runoff or Cochran concedes (50-50 or better in my view on Friday afternoon), are dems who pour initial money into child’s campaign chasing fools good? Or does McDaniel have serious baggage?

My point is that RATS have limited resources over a huge playing field. Will they hurt other vulnerable dems by trying to destroy McDaniel? Can he take the heat? Will he study and do his homework, or is he pigheaded and lazy like murdock and akin?

matthew8787 on June 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

anotherJoe on June 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Cochran should debate McDaniel. Although “looking old” might be a handicap, if an older candidate can use his experience and still has a sharp mind, he can win a debate against a younger candidate who might make mistakes–we saw how Ronald Reagan manhandled Walter Mondale in 1984, and how Cheney dealt with John Edwards in the 2004 VP debate.

The crucial question is not age, but which candidate appeals to the voters on the issues important to them?

Steve Z on June 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Akin was only the nominee due to Brunner & Steelman splitting the vote

topdawg on June 4, 2014 at 7:52 PM

THIS X10000000000000.

Angle won Independents by 8. Democrats voted 93% for Reid. Republicans only voted 78% for Angle.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Tater Salad on June 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Sharron Angle was ahead by about 2:1 before the results came in from Reno and La$ Vega$ and the unions…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Cochran’s best card is to run against Harry Reid for the next 3 weeks and hammer that McDaniel puts a GOP senate majority at risk – McDaniel is an untested commodity

matthew8787 on June 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM

matthew8787 on June 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I’m sure Ds will make noise about competing in MS, but they aren’t stupid. They will have way too many seats to defend, and MS is not going to be a priority.

I think it’s just b.s. on their part to claim they will try to win the seat if Chris is the nominee. Besides that…. MS is deep red.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM

P.S. May I call you Susan?

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Bmore on June 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Thank you, but there are too many crazies (not Joana’s kind) lurking so I’d prefer not to. Hesitated even mentioning it here given what happened before. So please don’t, but thanks anyway.

Glad people saw how out of touch Cochran was, though. Looks like some people beat me to mentioning it.

bluegill on June 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

matthew8787 on June 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

They would be chasing fool’s gold if they poured resources into MS. I don’t think they would, though. Most Democrats who crossed over on Tuesday voted for Cochran, not McDaniel. They know the senator from MS will be a Republican and would rather it be a borrow-and-spend social conservative who has no chance of advancing his social agenda than a social and fiscal conservative who has a chance of advancing his fiscal agenda.

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Steve Z on June 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I think that’s the real issue with Cochran: he no longer has a sharp mind. I think it may go beyond just being old, though…

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Also, if Cochran did win the runoff, how would he explain refusing to debate in the general? He wouldn’t, because then it would become clear he’s losing it.

I suspect Ds would secretly like Cochran to win, not Chris. Won’t happen though.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM

yaedon on June 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I heard the Cochran campaign was asking Ds to vote for him, which was an indication of how desperate they were.

cat_owner on June 4, 2014 at 8:13 PM