Senate Democrats who trumpeted Bergdahl deal go silent

posted at 8:01 pm on June 3, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

I want you to go over to The Weekly Standard for John McCormack’s and Mike Warren’s work on this, but here’s a taste:

“You know, I think, um, let me hold off on that,” said Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

“All I’ve heard is what I’ve read in the press,” said Vermont’s senior senator Pat Leahy.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, who crowed about the deal on the Sunday shows, is now very interested in the intel briefing she’s to receive tomorrow. That’d be the briefing she should have gotten some 32 days before she went on the Sunday shows to make grand pronouncements with no information. #YesAllWomen have to go on national news shows to laud their male party bosses’ grand accomplishments with incomplete and willfully inaccurate information, apparently.

As of now, The Reid stands alone in his continued vocal support of the Bergdahl deal.

Some on the Left have gone from cheering Bergdahl’s return as the homecoming of a hero to saying his questionable behavior at the time of his disappearance shouldn’t be at issue. Sure, I argued on “The O’Reilly Factor” last night that Bergdahl is entitled to a trial under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and he should go through a normal process to determine his status. Meanwhile, the men who served with him are entitled to voice their concerns (despite their non-disclosure agreements) and point to evidence for their claims.

But, as Phil Klein notes, it’s hard to argue Bergdahl’s status and actions shouldn’t matter to Americans when his status and actions as a hero were integral to the White House pitch for this deal. If Bergdahl’s not a hero, there’s far less political cover to get rid of the Taliban Five, which Allahpundit suspects was the whole point of this endeavor.

“Regardless of circumstances, whatever those circumstances may turn out to be, we still get an American prisoner back,” Obama said. “Period. Full stop. We don’t condition that.” Now, it’s fair to argue that whether the prisoner exchange was a good deal or not is a separate issue from whether Bergdahl was a deserter. In other words, there’s a case for bringing him back and handling evidence of desertion under American laws and procedures rather than simply letting him rot in the custody of the Taliban.

However, the argument that the nature of his service is irrelevant to the discussion was made less convincing because the White House initially attempted to turn Bergdahl’s release into a public relations victory and presented Bergdahl to the American people as a national hero.

On the bright side, at least maybe we’ve finally found something Obama knew about before the media told him about it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Folks here thought he was fishing and was just bad at it. It seemed that he purposefully misspelled words and was over the top. I guess he is just an idiot…….and an a$$hole!

VegasRick on June 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Maybe we are defining words differently. He’s not an illiberal. He does misspell intentionally. He isn’t trying hard to hide that he’s insincere. But it’s not just fun for him, he’s obsessed with it.

What kind of a person would spend so much of his time looking for “victims” like he does, continue to “argue” with them, then fault them for not picking up on what he’s doing? That’s what I meant by trolling-he does it, bizarrely, to pass his boredom. What a waste of energy.

non-nonpartisan on June 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM

So I guess the means that none of these Senators will be showing up for the big Welcome Back Bowe bash planned in his hometown in about 3 weeks. With Carole “It’s too late, baby” King!

Last year the Bring Back Bowe event drew “1500 motorcycles from across this country.” I expect this one will draw another 5000 hog-riding vets.

de rigueur on June 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I would hope that Bowe never even makes it back to Podunk, Idaho…Rather he should return to the US from Germany, and promptly be held in a military brig, pending trial for desertion under the Military Code of Justice. Allahu Akbar, Bowe!!!

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Thank goodness this whole escapade took Benghazi, the IRS, Obamacare, the VA, the new EPA CO2 standards, Fast and Furious, etc. etc. off the table for discussion during the upcoming mid term elections. /s

… and if anyone thinks anything will come of this just remember – First Black President !!!

Ruckus_Tom on June 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I set aside my work, grabbed my Big Mac, turned on the TV. I surfed for something to watch. I went past Colbert, who lampooned Florida for stand-your-ground and thinks Bergdahl is both good and bad. I settled on Cosplay on “SyFy” because chicks dressed as Pokemon trainers is better than nothing.

I checked my email. In addition to excellent penny-stock tips from strangers and information on buying a pill that makes a small man a big man (how’d they even know? thanks guys!) was a YouTube update celebrating PlayPride, which is a new thing where we get to revere the homosexuality of homosexual professional athletes.

Now, checking the news, I see that the feces-throwing monkeys have stopped throwing feces, probably in preparation of pretending they never sat on the branch and threw feces to begin with.

*sip*

I just felt compelled to offer an explanation of why I’m not coming out of damned bunker. I mean — forget it. The world’s lost its freaking mind. The secret knock is the first four primes in reverse order. I offer this in hopes that monkeys can’t count.

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

OT- what another leftist nutter on the loose?

CW on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Interesting … but WTF is a “fact pattern”?? That must be some special, double-secret WMD phrase they teach these morons at Barky Junta Camp. “Hit ‘em with the ‘fact pattern’!!!”

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

MS. HARF: Yeah, so a couple points on that. The first – and the President spoke about this today as well – but the first is, obviously, we’re not going to get into the specifics of the agreement. But this is an agreement between the head of the Government of Qatar and the President of the United States, a very high-level agreement about working to mitigate the notion that these five guys will be able to return to the battlefield.

So we always undertake a threat assessment, we attempt to mitigate that in the best way possible. In this case, we certified that we had mitigated sufficiently that risk because of the assurances, again, given at the highest levels of the Qatari Government to the highest levels of our government.

They will remain in Qatar for one year. The ONLY thing that the Qataris have agreed to do, according to them, is to prevent the 5 from leaving the country for no more than a year. After that, again per the Qataris, they are free to leave and go wherever they so choose, including returning to Afghanistan and their former lives.

They are free to meet with whomever they choose.

They are free to raise money for the Taliban.

They are free to engage in propaganda.

They are free to seek new recruits.

They are free to train said recruits.

They are free to make bombs in Qatar, which can be delivered elsewhere.

They are free to act as virtual commanders.

They are free to teach radical, virulent Islam.

They are free for a year from any fear of being droned.

They are free, in reality, to pick up where they left off…except for the actual firing of weapons and commanding, in person, people on the battlefield.

They just can’t leave the country of Qatar…for a year (maybe)

It’s really a shame that they will not have access to telephones, sat phones, television, radio, and the internet. Imagine how much damage they could do!?!?!

Oh wait…

Resist We Much on June 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Obama doesn’t care about the Dems in the Senate. As this little episode proves, he doesn’t need them anymore.

So what if the GOP takes over the Senate, it doesn’t matter to him. He’ll still release all of the prisoners in Gitmo. He’ll declare a general amnesty for illegals whether comprehensive reform happens or not. He’ll appoint Holder to the Supreme Court without any confirmation and dare the Republicans to do something about it.

No one is doing anything to stop him or hold him accountable now. Why should the next 30 months be any different. He knows he can get away with it, so he’s gonna do anything he wants.

PetecminMd on June 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Maybe you’re right. This makes Obama the progressive hero fighting all alone against the evil republicans.

faraway on June 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Once again, I find myself disagreeing with Dr. Charles Krauthammer, who actually just defended this nauseating decision by the rat eared, Dog Eater. I don’t disagree often, but Chuck got this one wrong on O’Reilly.

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Was this the argument Krauthammer accepted?

They were askeered that the muzzies were going to slit his traitorous throat from ear to ear. True that they’ve had five years to do that, but that’s their story and they’re stickin’ to it…for now.

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Here, trollies, come out to play ee ay. We’re ready . . .

Conservchik on June 3, 2014 at 8:21 PM

*clink clink clink*

Bishop on June 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM

ROFL….

PointnClick on June 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Have they ever announced what bergdahls life and death disease was that he needed to be exchanged for.

RickB on June 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM

He wanted his mommy but his mommy refused to move to Peshawar and wear a burka.

burrata on June 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM

If Obama was serving the Nation’s best interest, the alleged deserter would stand trial. The day after charges are announced, the 5 terrorist would mysteriously begin to die, one after one, day after day, Mitch Rapp style. Somehow I think we have the ability to make that happen….

How the hell did this country elect this person, the Transformer?

CTSherman on June 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

(I have a lot of hate in me!)

KOOLAID2 on June 3, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Bet I got you beat on that on Kool, at least today anyway.

Yep, I’m in Michiscam too. What they have done to my state makes me weep.

Diluculo on June 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM

How the hell did this country elect this person, the Transformer?

CTSherman on June 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Race relations have improved dramatically, right?

faraway on June 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Yesterday I called him on it and he said that he was totally serious after praising obaMe on an over the top post that he posted.

VegasRick on June 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

And the oceans have risen, or something.

faraway on June 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

What does MSNBC have to say about this, quick…

/Leftwing.

Lourdes on June 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I was flipping through channels. Chris Matthews had a platoon mate and the writer from the NY Times. Neither had anything good to say about this deal.

monalisa on June 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM

What I was going for there was to describe the posture by the Left: still waiting for their cheat-sheet so they know what to say. Words will be provided soon, Reid, Pelosi, Obama, soon will give them their scripts…

Lourdes on June 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM

canopfor on June 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

TPOP: Thats fancy StateCraft Smart Power Talky,..lol:)

canopfor on June 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM

non-nonpartisan on June 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Krauthammer simply justified the swap based upon the notion that Bowe is an American and that we ALWAYS bring our own home, regardless of the price. The ONLY thing he took issue with was the optics on Saturday in the Rose Garden when they invoked Allah and hugged each other and behaved as though the dude was a hero. It was pretty disappointing, really. Dr. K. said that Israel swapped over 1000 prisoners for one soldier, so, meh…

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Krauthammer ……. so, meh…

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Everytime Krauthammer starts sounding coherent he has to go mess it up by trying to buy some liberal readers with stupid tokens. He lost me again.

Diluculo on June 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM

“Our views were clearly translated,” Feinstein told reporters. “So it comes with some surprise and dismay that the transfers went ahead with no consultation, totally not following the law.”

The White House insists it acted lawfully. Officials said delaying Bergdahl’s transfer in order to comply with the congressional notification rules would have interfered with two of the president’s constitutional authorities: protecting the lives of Americans abroad and protecting U.S. soldiers.

canopfor on June 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Feinstein’s objections will soon fade. No way can she be relied upon to maintain something that puts Obama’s actions on the outs.

AND, obviously, IF the White House “acted lawfully,” why the “oops, sorry” “apology”.

Obama, his Dems, are really pulling on anything and everything to see what will aid them. I’m sure there’s a feverish “public statement position paper” in the works at this very moment, filled with lines-to-be-repeated and scattered throughout the Leftmedia.

Lourdes on June 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Kraut, meh. He adds no value.

faraway on June 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Right there with ya. I just don’t know what to do anymore.

kozanne on June 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Well, if you aren’t already well stocked up, here is a reason to come out of the bunker long enough to do some shopping:

Whiskey shortage looms

This is particularly bad news as my favorite Scotch is now about 1 Ben per bottle, so I was turning to bourbon.

climbnjump on June 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM

If this Republic is going to survive, it’s going to be by the grace of God or just dumb luck.

Mimzey on June 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Ummm…I hate to be the one to break this to you…but…The Republic is already dead. It was roughly about the time John Roberts had his ‘obamacare is constitutional’ moment.

a5minmajor on June 3, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Any price, even for a deserter, Charles? How idiotic.

Maybe The ONLY thing he took issue with was the optics on Saturday in the Rose Garden when they invoked Allah and hugged each other and behaved as though the dude was a hero. It was pretty disappointing, really. Dr. K. said that Israel swapped over 1000 prisoners for one soldier, so, meh…

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM

“Let’s release them to the wild, so that they can come back and kill some more of us!” These people are so damn foolish. They are not really on my side.

non-nonpartisan on June 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

We need to coordinate these bunkers. Sort of a road map of safe houses in various parts of the country. I’m setting mine up in the panhandle of Florida. Where are you covering?

USNCVN on June 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM

heres a list of people to never give money to

dmacleo on June 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

VegasRick on June 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

They can’t admit outright what they are doing-that’s part of the game.

non-nonpartisan on June 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

heres a list of people to never give money to

dmacleo on June 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I’ll bet they’re all believers in CAGW, too. Same gullibility.

non-nonpartisan on June 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Mimzey on June 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM

For an incredibly well researched book on this very subject, written by a renowned author…from a historical as well as Biblical and current events perspective, I highly recommend, The End Of America: The Role of Islam in End Times Prophecy…by John Price…It is chilling…

endofamericabook.com

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 9:44 PM

faraway on June 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I hate my iPad. You noticed you’re insurance savings were like, $2,500.00 dollars, right?

CTSherman on June 3, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Senate Democrats who trumpeted Bergdahl deal go silent

Below the fold.

Hotair trolls who trumpeted deal go silent, too.

Except for the unmitigated morons and sock puppets.

farsighted on June 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I have claimed repeatedly that our best days are far behind us and that America, as we have known and loved her is lost. The last couple of posts here have broached that subject, and I wanted to recommend the book that I get much of my support on the issue from. Here is the hyper-link to the author’s web site. the book is cheap and it is on Kindle from Amazon..

bimmcorp on June 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM

USNCVN on June 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM

*tosses bottle with note in it*

*slams lid*

Note:

Northwest Louisiana. :) I suppose for practical purposes that’s a way station near a primary Dallas hub along a Southern latitudinal corridor.

. . . but we need to stay cellular.

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Here, trollies, come out to play ee ay. We’re ready . . .

Conservchik on June 3, 2014 at 8:21 PM

*clink clink clink*

Bishop on June 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM

ROFL….

PointnClick on June 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Our favorite rotorhead, hawkdriver himself, gave I’veGotAKochHabit a devastating non-nuclear flame that sent her hiking her skirts up and running away.

itsspideyman on June 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM

. . . but we need to stay cellular.

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I’m with you spent some good years in Ruston.

And those boys in West Monroe can play some football!

itsspideyman on June 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I’m with you spent some good years in Ruston.

And those boys in West Monroe can play some football!

itsspideyman on June 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM

It’s true. They grow them kind of big there. :)

I spent a couple years in Ruston, too. I didn’t finish what I started, but I gave it the ol’ college try.

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 10:07 PM

. . . but we need to stay cellular.

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM

My wife is from Texas, and now that her Mom has passed, she actually entertained the idea of repatriating… Nothing sucks worse than a poorly located bunker…

PointnClick on June 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM

favorite rotorhead, hawkdriver himself, gave I’veGotAKochHabit a devastating non-nuclear flame that sent her hiking her skirts up and running away. This is one that the trolls will never, ever win. So instead of fighting, they’ve decided to “advance towards the rear”. itsspideyman on June 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM

That was one helluva beating. It jumped threads.

But Hawkdriver nailed it. He had the high ground at all times.

It was a pleasure to read.

It’s just an example of the attitude of those that hwve served.

We aren’t gonna put up with this bullshite.

I will not stand.

wolly4321 on June 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM

*it* will not stand..

wolly4321 on June 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM

nothing sucks worse than a poorly located bunker… PointnClick on June 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Phil Robertson was right, in Happy,Happy,Happy.

Find someplace with water.

Shite meets fan where I’m at,, I’m royally screwed.

Water attracts tasty animals to eat.

wolly4321 on June 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Well, I am in FL, so water is everywhere, and we’ll never freeze, but I just don’t like being in such a densely populated area. When I was a kid, I wanted to be in the big city, where the hustle and the action is, but the older I get, the more I want to live in Mayberry…

PointnClick on June 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM

No, I keep sheets of drywall in the shop for anger management. I used to keep liberals out there for the same reason but they left stains on the concrete.

Bishop on June 3, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Did you try using tarps?

talkingpoints on June 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Just wanted to add, my wife asked where we should buy our next house, and I replied, “Somewhere that I can shoot an AK on my back porch and no one will care…” LOL

PointnClick on June 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Can we trade Obama for someone the Taliban doesn’t want?

GarandFan on June 3, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I’ll give a good home to a homely goat.

katy the mean old lady on June 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Axe on June 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Don’t worry, Axe

The monkeys will stop flinging their poo and start spreading it around them trying to figure out which parts are “the first four primes?.

;->

PolAgnostic on June 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM

USNCVN on June 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM

My place is easy to find
… if you have IR satellite photos.

It’s the 3 acre IR bright spot where you wouldn’t expect to see one.

If you NVG’s, you can spot it on foot …

… but you’ll want to turn those OFF before you cross the property line or accept them being burned out before you get to the house.

PolAgnostic on June 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM

AOSHQDD @AOSHQDD · 2m
Looks like #MSsen may have come down to wtf Jones County. (Maybe this will break @daveweigel from his Waukesha habit)

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 3, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Bergdahl is a classic red herring. Someone among the five released is part of a bigger hidden deal that required Bergdahl as a cover. The decision to release the five also beclouds what is really going on here. Embedded in the five is one or more that are the real substance of the “deal”. While Bergdahl is the headline, one or maybe more of the five, not all, is the deal, hidden in plain sight. What is the real quid pro quo?

Mason on June 3, 2014 at 11:48 PM

itsspideyman on June 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Well . . . then, first they will have to remove their heads.

builderD on June 3, 2014 at 11:50 PM

That was one helluva beating. It jumped threads.

But Hawkdriver nailed it. He had the high ground at all times.

It was a pleasure to read.

It’s just an example of the attitude of those that hwve served.

We aren’t gonna put up with this bullshite.

I will not stand.

wolly4321 on June 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM

With you brother.

And for those of us who can only appreciate the soldiers that exercise the ultimate franchise, we must stand with them when they speak.

Civilians like myself have a purpose, to not let them fight this alone. And never give the trolls room to breathe on this nonsense.

itsspideyman on June 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM

” And I think we should get them out of there as quick as we can. ” Harry Reid on Gitmo detainees

So, Sen. Reid, how many do you think you can squeeze in your guest bedroom?

hurricane567 on June 4, 2014 at 2:09 AM

RickB on June 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM

They said he was ‘under-nourished’.
Not ‘mal-nourished’.
‘Under-nourished’.
I took that to mean he was dying for a Big Mac.

mrt721 on June 4, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Idiots.

FIRE

THEM

ALL !

TX-96 on June 4, 2014 at 6:18 AM

RickB on June 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM

It was the same deadly incurable malady afflicting the Lockerbie bomber.

Now shut up, teabag winger.

VelvetElvis on June 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM

Oh wait…

Resist We Much on June 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Relax, homophobe.

Nobody gave them a pen, so they can’t really do much of anything.

VelvetElvis on June 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I’m looking forward to Bergdahl’s desertion trial with the military. Leavenworth is not going to be a fun place for him. Maybe Obama will try to work out another exchange when that happens.

Cherokee on June 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM

The left’s game of image is everything ha exploded in their faces. Maybe now the sleeping asses and Obama phone lovers will see just how badly they’ve been duped by a plastic messiah?

Don L on June 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM

That’s supposed to be “masses”–thought the computer may be more wise than I first thought.

Don L on June 4, 2014 at 8:32 AM

They are free to teach radical, virulent Islam.
They are free for a year from any fear of being droned.
They just can’t leave the country of Qatar…for a year (maybe)
Oh wait…
Resist We Much on June 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM

The mistake is in thinking there is any other kind. What possible good could come for a “religion” invented by a documented mass-murder, serial rapist and pedophile?

#MuckFohammed

Nutstuyu on June 4, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I haven’t read this thread yet, but I believe that that the administration believed this operation would be received as if Reagan sent Rambo in to rescue our Iranian hostages single-handedly. Big miscalculation. We’re not living in Hollywood’s version of the world.

freedomfirst on June 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM

So Obama would swap a deserter/collaborator for shooting down 20 767s full of passengers? Essentially the same deal?

Gandalf on June 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM

BTW, who are these negotiators?

5 Taliban leaders, for one lowly soldier? Even if he was not a traitor or deserter.

I could maybe see 1 for 1, but 5 leaders for 1 regular soldier?

I know there is a bigger problem…but just to separate this one fact, we have horrible negotiators.

No wonder we are laughed at…I will trade you 1 Chevy Aveo, for 5 Ferrari’s F12′s.

right2bright on June 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM

The spin could have been “we get to bring back this traitor, in shackles, to answer the charges he left his post and defected”. Maybe some people would have rallied around that.

freedomfirst on June 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Oh, and on a happier note, my wife’s ultra-leftist friend said she is “disgusted” by this entire scandal. She is angry at how BB deserted his post (and fellow soldiers) and she is angry at teh 0ne for circumventing the law and capitulating to thugs. She even mentioned the “I” word in a text to my wife. I’m so proud of her!
Now, if her disgust extends to other aspects of this corrupt administration, I’ll truly be happy.

freedomfirst on June 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM

freedomfirst on June 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM

The problem is, his supporters, many of them, think deserting a post during war is admirable…and I think he thought so himself.

right2bright on June 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM

The author Brad Thor was on Megyn Kelly’s show last night and he said that the Haqqani tribe that held Bergdahl was a mercenary tribe that always did things for money and that they had no reason to make this swap if it was only for the Al Qaeda prisoners which mean nothing to them. He had heard that there were millions of dollars paid to them by the US and that is why they went along with the deal. This morning Oliver North said the same thing that he had heard that between 5 to 7 million dollars had been paid for the release of Bergdahl. If this is true then this is nothing but a hostage payoff to kidnappers with violent terrorists thrown into the deal.

inspectorudy on June 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM

inspectorudy on June 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Despicable.
The Haqqanis didn’t watch the movie Captain Phillips… and neither did the administration.

freedomfirst on June 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Cherokee on June 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Hmmmm. I could see swapping some members of this administration for him, then. Let’s see, the trade-off is … Bergdahl is free, but 5 members of the administration are in Leavenworth wearing orange? Yeah, let’s do it!

GWB on June 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM

If the Army decides to court martial Bergdahl, can Obama as Commander in Chief override this, or pardon Bergdahl if he is found guilty? Because you know he’s arrogant enough to do it.

eyedoc on June 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM

a5minmajor on June 3, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I think that it began with the Kelo decision.

cajunpatriot on June 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Desperado tastes deliciously schadenfreudig.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM

You think this is bad,naw it till you find out that not only did they trade the 5 killers but the us agreed to pay ransom money too, without congress knowing about it

Conservative4ev on June 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM

AZCoyote on June 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM

A lead trial with a brass appeal

PJ Emeritus on June 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN!

Marcola on June 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM

inspectorudy on June 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM

So basically the Haqqani didn’t even particularly want these five men released? Does that mean that releasing these five terrorist officers was the U.S. government’s idea??? I don’t want to fly off the handle, but am I understanding the implications correctly here????

Aitch748 on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Bergdahl’s release was, in part, not solely, political payback to the veterans groups who stood by the VA Secretary. Just in January 2014 the VFW magazine ran an article calling for Bergdahl’s release and at their convention last summer they passed a resolution calling for it. The administration erroneously believed this deal would garner favor from the VSOs after the VA scandal.

10thamendment on June 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM

verbaluce made a weak attempt to shill for Obama, but was quickly chased out.

Thisisyourbrainonkoch muttered something about being concerned it didn’t look good for Obama and then vanished.

Haha

Chuck Schick on June 3, 2014 at 8:40 PM

‘Chased out’?
I think there are many who wish that might ever be the case.
I know what’s considered ‘shilling around here.
(And it ain’t shilling.)

All you’re doing is parroting a narrative that is mere conjecture.
You don’t question it – you just ask for back slaps and give them in return.
Today we have a Bush admin veteran saying Bush would’ve made the same deal for Bergdahl’s release. And maybe he’s wrong about that, but maybe he’s right. But it’s at least a fair minded and sober assessment.
There is also today quite a bit of push-back on the narrative that every death in Paktika was related to Bergdahl.
It took about 2 hours for the GOP to look for the political angles here – and about 2 days to make them their latest circus.
We went from Bergdahl the deserter to Bergdahl the terrorist (with a terrorist Dad – who beard grown to mark his sons disappearnce is now clearly evidence of his Taliban sympathies…///).
You can be as hysterical as you want.
It’s a comment section on a blog.
But maybe try not be such a shill yourself?

verbaluce on June 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

a5minmajor on June 3, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Actually, it was long before that, when ole “Honest” Abe declared war and fought to make the Federal government the power base in this country

PJ Emeritus on June 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

What an absolute disaster and shameful display of leadership in the WH and the Democrats in Congress who before they knew the real facts came out on TV to voice their support. This country is in such bad shape that it is disgraceful to respect any one of them.

karlinsync on June 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

RickB on June 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM

They said he was ‘under-nourished’.
Not ‘mal-nourished’.
‘Under-nourished’.
I took that to mean he was dying for a Big Mac.

mrt721 on June 4, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Was Michelle Obama lauding the Afghans for their dietary ways? And what’s the sudden declaration by Obama that Bergdahl’s malnourishment was an emergency? Michelle’s been pressing all kids in US in public schools to be that very way.

Lourdes on June 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM