Oh my: Elizabeth Warren no longer dismissing questions about running for president

posted at 7:21 pm on June 2, 2014 by Allahpundit

She’s said many times that she has no intention of running, going so far as to co-sign a letter beseeching Her Majesty, Queen Hillary, to take her rightful place upon the throne in 2016. But would-be candidates say lots of things early in the cycle. Remember when Obama said, a few months after being elected to the Senate, that he wouldn’t run for president in 2008 because he was a big believer in knowing what you’re doing when you apply for a job? Two years later, he decided he knew what he was doing after all. And that’s how we ended up with a government that swaps terrorists for accused deserters.

HuffPo’s promoting this clip heavily, even though it may just be that Warren’s tired of answering the question. This part does sound campaign-y, though:

“I do believe in us,” said Warren. “And I believe in us on days like this, on a morning where a whole lot of people come together to talk about ideas, to talk about two books. Because what we’re talking about in here is we’re talking about economics, we’re talking about power, but we’re also talking about values. This is a moment in time for our country and, I believe, for our world, a moment in time where we decide who we are as a people and what kind of a future we’re going to build. As your [Thomas Piketty's] book shows, it’s tough, it is an uphill climb. It will not happen naturally that the world will even back out. But what it also shows is that these are not natural forces that make it happen, it’s a set of rules by which we govern ourselves, and here in America we the people get to decide what the rules are. So I get how hard this is. This is about concentrated money and power on one side, but it’s about our values, our voices and our votes on our side. I believe we can fight back. I believe we can win.”

What she’s really doing here, I think, is preserving a little strategic ambiguity to keep the pressure on Hillary to pander to the left. She’s not going to run and she wouldn’t win if she did, but if she starts speaking campaign-ese, she can make sure that Hillary invests in plenty of income inequality rhetoric next year that the left can hold her to later. It’s already begun, in fact. Warren is a useful threat for progressives even if she’s not much of a threat at all.

Let’s face it: Warren vs. Cruz is the election partisans want, Clinton vs. Bush is the election partisans will get. Alas.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How

Murphy9 on June 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:24 PM

She looks like Mrs. Beasley.

Fallon on June 2, 2014 at 7:24 PM

And she would probably win too. God help us all.

Jack_Burton on June 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM

All the options given are unacceptable. Try again Allah.

coolrepublica on June 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Of North Korea or the Iroquois Nation?

Bishop on June 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Is that picture from her guest shot on “Golden Girls”?

Hucklebuck on June 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I picked a bad decade to give up huffing paint.

myiq2xu on June 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Why wouldn’t Kerry throw his hat in the race?

HopeHeFails on June 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM

If it truly is clinton/bush I will have to do what I swore not to, and that is, not vote at all. I refuse to vote for a dynasty (either one).

WitchDoctor on June 2, 2014 at 7:28 PM

My one fear is so much of the electorate are now entitlement-minded takers that she`ll win.

ThePrez on June 2, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Is that picture from her guest shot on “Golden Girls”?

Hucklebuck on June 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM

that raises and interesting question:

if elizabeth warren was a golden girl which golden girl would she be?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM

She can run on affirmative action preferences just like her sluggard predecessor.

So there is precedent at least…

Murphy9 on June 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM

First Native American President.

Bitter Clinger on June 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM

that raises and interesting question:

if elizabeth warren was a golden girl which golden girl would she be?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM

A slightly hotter Bea Arthur.

Chuck Schick on June 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Democracy is insanity.

DarkCurrent on June 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM

How

Murphy9 on June 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Why?

Fallon on June 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM

id say she has the honesty of rose, the intelligence of dorothy, the starpower of blanche, and the wisdom of sophia. the perfect package imho.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I’ll be completely candid. I’m not voting for any candidate who constitutes yet another ‘grand political experiment’, based solely on the candidates gender, race, or ethnicity, even if that candidate happened to be a conservative, and even if that candidate somehow managed to win the primary and become the party nominee.

I’m voting strictly on qualifications, record, and policy.

I’m certainly not voting for a person I believe to be a lying fraud, a poseur and charlatan, who tried to chisel and connive her way to higher office and was more than willing to steal the heritage of a minority to get there.

Go home, Steals Other People’s Shadow. Take another look in the mirror. There’s no President staring back at you.

thatsafactjack on June 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:31 PM

You’d better be gay or female to come up with that.

Chuck Schick on June 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Please please PLEASE do it Elizabeth!

Judge_Dredd on June 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM

You’d better be gay or female to come up with that.

Chuck Schick on June 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM

just a conoisseur of 80s sitcoms.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Go for it, you ridiculous, ego-maniacal skank. Put on the war paint, let out a Wooop! and start taking scalps. We’ll put a batch of popcorn on and pour a double.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Heapum Wampum at pow wow made Fauxcahontas change mind.

southsideironworks on June 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM

If Elizabeth Warren was a Golden Girl which Golden Girl would she be?

Trick question. There weren’t any Native Americans on Golden Girls.

Fallon on June 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Clinton vs. Bush is the election partisans will get. Alas.

And then it’ll be time for un-impeachable ‘President Hillary’. Because Jeb isn’t going to cut it.

AUINSC on June 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM

That’s about as surprising as the sun rising in the east, or President Choom blaming Bush for everything that’s gone wrong for the last six years.

RoadRunner on June 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Holy God. This is really going to happen, isn’t it? And whoever wins (Hillary wins), we lose.

Kensington on June 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM

She’s not going to run and she wouldn’t win if she did

Wrong, AP.

Dems are looking for a birth canal to be the next president. They don’t care who owns it because they know America just can’t wait to brag about another historic presidency.

Warren/Stalin’s skeletal remains 2016

Mark Boabaca on June 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

just a conoisseur of 80s sitcoms.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Which was the episode did Rose lied about her ethnicity to get into Harvard?

Chuck Schick on June 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I recently saw an interview with Warren. I don’t agree with her on a single issue but I must admit she is charismatic. If she runs she will outshine Hillary and that’s not good for Team Hillary.

terryannonline on June 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Well, if that does happen, then I’m going to burn my ballot and my registration.

nobar on June 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM

…she has a book out…she’s trying to make money?

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Somebody needs to run that quote through turnitin.com and check for plagiarism. She has assumed a different race and takes others quotes and ideas to distinguish herself from those who really do play by the rules. Typical progressive hypocrite!

Armyspouse on June 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Heh. You half-retarded jackass.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM

So she no longer has any reservations about it?

Flange on June 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

If she runs she will outshine Hillary and that’s not good for Team Hillary.

terryannonline on June 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

In the words of John F’ing Kerry “Bring it on!”

Judge_Dredd on June 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Voters who claim to know better, but are actually this stupid/gullible/naive — pick one — is how we ended up with the two-bit imbecile that current pollutes the White House. So many of you have wondered aloud “how did this happen?!” … this is how.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I BELIEVED EVER SINCE SHE WAS TO THE SENATE THAT SHE WILL RUN. BECAUSE LIKE ALL LEFTIES SHE SO FULL OF HERSELF SHE CAN`T SEE THE TRUTH.
FURTHER MORE I BELIEVE SHE CAN BEAT HILLARY, THE HARD LEFT HATES HILLARY WITH A HATE SO DEEP THAT THEY WOULD RATHER LOSE THE WHITE HOUSE THEN SEE HER AS PRESIDENT.

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM

The Democratic Party is so far left, and so race/sex based that either Liz Warren or Deval Patrick could beat Hillary if they ran one on one against her in the primary. Then, either/or would get trounced by the GOP in the general election.

We should be so lucky that Liz Warren would run.

eski502 on June 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I really hope this dork becomes the standard bearer for leftists. How can anyone except East and Left Coast elitists be excited about her?

Xanatos90 on June 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM

…the left has their thighs dripping for High Cheeks and Weekends at Bernie’s!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I’m having a hard time believing there is any hew and cry for this woman to be president. But then, I’m still shocked that she’s a senator.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

As your [Thomas Piketty’s] book shows, it’s tough, it is an uphill climb. It will not happen naturally that the world will even back out.

Fake, But Accurate (Promise!): From Climategate To Thomas Piketty, Lefties Sure Do Have A Way With Numbers

The Financial Times: Piketty Findings Undercut By Errors

The Guardian: Thomas Piketty’s Economic Data ‘Came Out Of Thin Air’

Financial Times: We’ve found some, ahem, “serious inconsistencies” in Thomas Piketty’s numbers

Powerline: Is Thomas Piketty a Fraud?

Pejman Yousefzadeh: Facts Are Stubborn Things . . . As Thomas Piketty Is Beginning to Find Out

FTblogs.com: Data Problems With Capital In The 21st Century

Thomas Piketty’s Book Is Declared Fake But Accurate: A Scammer’s Gotta Scam

Resist We Much on June 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 7:44 PM

As a MA resident I can tell you she is far from charismatic. She is a terrible campaigner and extremely awkward person to be around. That said, her far left views could easily defeat Hillary in their radicalized primaries (the same way Obama did).

This would be great, because unlike Obama I think Warren would stand no chance on the national stage in the general election.

eski502 on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

So she no longer has any reservations about it?

Flange on June 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I see what you did there. :D

Mark Boabaca on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Which was the episode did Rose lied about her ethnicity to get into Harvard?

Chuck Schick on June 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I BELIEVED EVER SINCE SHE WAS

ELECTED
/ TO THE SENATE THAT SHE WILL RUN. BECAUSE LIKE ALL LEFTIES SHE SO FULL OF HERSELF SHE CAN`T SEE THE TRUTH.

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

At her campaign events, the crowd will chant and do the tomahawk chop. I can’t wait!

TarheelBen on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

terryannonline on June 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

My sister had her as a prof in law school, and says Warren was a very good teacher. Bad news for the country if those personal qualities help Fauxcahontas get elected.

juliesa on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I laughed myself silly at the thought of that dingleberry running.

itsspideyman on June 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Liz Warren, lamestream darling. THE FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT!!! Obama in a skirt.

Viator on June 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Xanatos90 on June 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM

It’s to the point that those locations hold the most electoral power, so Fauxcahontas has a good chance of winning.

Mark Boabaca on June 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM

@judge dread I hope she does run……..it will be awesome to see Hillary sputtering.

terryannonline on June 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM

“This is a moment in time for our country and, I believe, for our world, a moment in time where we decide who we are as a people and what kind of a future we’re going to build.”

Great. Another “this is the moment” speech.

First it was Pow Wow Chow, now this. Is there anything this woman can’t plagiarize?

de rigueur on June 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Just what we need. An Indian Princess Pokin Hondas. That will make the Japanese really happy.

JohnFLob on June 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

terryannonline on June 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

juliesa on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I just graduated from Law School. As much as I loved some professors, I would NEVER vote for a law professor for President. Attending law school made me understand why Obama is so bad at his job. There is no more sheltered and egotistical job in this country than law professor. Smart people with terrible people skills and no understanding of the world beyond their text books.

eski502 on June 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Liz Warren, lamestream darling. THE FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT!!! Obama in a skirt.

Viator on June 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM

obaMe with little balls…..

VegasRick on June 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I BELIEVED EVER SINCE SHE WASELECTED TO THE SENATE THAT SHE WILL RUN. BECAUSE LIKE ALL LEFTIES SHE SO FULL OF HERSELF SHE CAN`T SEE THE TRUTH.

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Your screen name is appropriate. All caps is a rookie mistake.

Judge_Dredd on June 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM

How

Murphy9 on June 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM

So she no longer has any reservations about it?

Flange on June 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I see what you did there…

JusDreamin on June 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I BELIEVED EVER SINCE SHE WAS ELECTED TO THE SENATE THAT SHE WILL RUN. BECAUSE LIKE ALL LEFTIES SHE SO FULL OF HERSELF SHE CAN`T SEE THE TRUTH.

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM

@juliesa

While I think she is charismatic, I don’t see her winning the nomination.

terryannonline on June 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Warren will serve as a Red Herring for Hillary or Julian Castro.

batterup on June 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Posting bot?

Mark Boabaca on June 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

ALL THE ELIZABETH WARREN Cherokee falsehoods you NEED TO KNOW:

Twila Barnes was quoted extensively in the Boston Globe…lots of information…

originalpechanga on June 2, 2014 at 7:55 PM

A slightly hotter Bea Arthur.

Chuck Schick on June 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Since Bea Arthur is roasting in helI Liz must be smoking.

V7_Sport on June 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM

terryannonline on June 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM

You just know she’d be so angry as to possibly drop her bid rather than lose the primary twice to crypto-marxists. She does not have good enough health for that fight.

Judge_Dredd on June 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Would you mind taking the caps lock button off please. Thanks. ; )

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM

All caps is a rookie mistake.

Judge_Dredd on June 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM

The Judge’s ruling is final. So be it.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I BELIEVED EVER SINCE SHE WAS

ELECTED

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM

and my comments strike some of you as odd..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Did you say something Rook ?

V7_Sport on June 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Yeah liberal scumbags, go ahead and try to decide what you are going to do to us. Make up your mind now, no halfway this or that. It’s full tilt progressive fascist style socialism or communism, take your pick, or you can back off and let people who actually know what the hell they are doing fix the country so you idiots can work at wrecking it again.

Make up your mind you commie slugs, the clock is ticking.

Diluculo on June 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Thanks. ; )

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Your direct and courteous vs our snarky and mocking. Unfair.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Since Bea Arthur is roasting in helI

V7_Sport on June 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM

really? why?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM

And why not? Hasn’t that POS currently in the White House set the bar low enough already?

GarandFan on June 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Posting bot?

Mark Boabaca on June 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Either that or his brain is on Koch. ;)

Judge_Dredd on June 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM

i propose a deal..

1. rook uses all caps in his comments

2. i use no caps in mine

it averages out and everyone is happy.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Lolz! Its just that when folks start quoting it that way it really gets loud in here. Like this guy.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM

A lot of us thought that a ham sandwich could beat Obama last time around so anythings possible…

sandee on June 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Oh good heavens, she’s going to run on “I believe in ‘us’,” isn’t she? Hope and chains, part deux.

Me and you,
And you and me…

Fallon on June 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM

2. i use no caps in mine

it averages out and everyone is happy.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I often purposely do not capitalize, especially when I have to type obama’s name. He, nor any leftist pig deserves the respect of capitalization.

Diluculo on June 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Oh good heavens, she’s going to run on “I believe in ‘us’,” isn’t she?

Fallon on June 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM

whats the matter? dont you believe in us?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM

eski502 on June 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Whoa, whoa … WTF? That is NOT my quote. Get it right.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

“This is about concentrated money and power on one side, but it’s about our values, our voices and our votes on our side. I believe we can fight back. I believe we can win.”

Um…yeah, whatever…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I propose rook is your sock.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I propose rook is your sock.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

yes..because thats the obvious answer to everything. blame it on me.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM

whats the matter? dont you believe in us?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Resist We Much on June 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Like this guy.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Yeah, that is one hot mess, ain’t it?

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Hey Rove and the GOPe, please send support to Liz Warren if you want to make yourself useful in the 2016 Prez race.

KirknBurker on June 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I propose rook is your sock.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I second the commotion.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Fallon on June 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Probably. I would recommend something along these lines for her though.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Let’s see. Stay here and watch every thread become derailed by a sock or go watch Queer as Folk. Decisions, decisions…

Judge_Dredd on June 2, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Geez. I start to read a thread and the Golden Girls get insulted. What difference, at this point, does it make?

22044 on June 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

That whole thing sounds like the usual marxist stuff about transforming America into a dictatorship.

crankyoldlady on June 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

whats the matter? dont you believe in us?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM

The “yes we can” crap is dead and buried. It was a failure.

Chuck Schick on June 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

and my comments strike some of you as odd..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Some of us?

Buck Farky on June 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Rook on June 2, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Dude. Hold it down. I’m trying to sleep here.

davidk on June 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

averages out and everyone is 2 morons are happy.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM

RickB on June 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Whoa, whoa … WTF? That is NOT my quote. Get it right.

Jaibones on June 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

ill go ahead and apologise since it was probably my fault anyways.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 8:07 PM