NRA pro-tip: In-your-face open carry is probably a bad idea, folks

posted at 12:41 pm on June 2, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

We haven’t written much about the open-carry protests in Texas, in which pro-gun activists carried rifles into retail establishments in order to make a point about gun rights in one of the most pro-gun states in the union. The effort ended up backfiring, as two retailers — Jack In The Box and Chipotle’s — ended up having to make explicit rules banning firearms from their establishments. Last Friday, the NRA appealed to common sense in asking activists to ool-it-kay with the arry-kay and quit frightening people who might otherwise be sympathetic to the cause:

The second example comes to us from the Lone Star State, which is second to none for its robust gun culture.  We applaud Texans for that, but a small number have recently crossed the line from enthusiasm to downright foolishness.

Now we love AR-15s and AKs as much as anybody, and we know that these sorts of semiautomatic carbines are among the most popular, fastest selling firearms in America today.  Texas, independent-minded and liberty-loving place that it is, doesn’t ban the carrying of loaded long guns in public, nor does it require a permit for this activity.  Yet some so-called firearm advocates seem determined to change this.

Recently, demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.

Let’s not mince words, not only is it rare, it’s downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one’s cause, it can be downright scary.  It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.

As a result of these hijinx, two popular fast food outlets have recently requested patrons to keep guns off the premises (more information can be found here and here).  In other words, the freedom and goodwill these businesses had previously extended to gun owners has been curtailed because of the actions of an attention-hungry few who thought only of themselves and not of those who might be affected by their behavior. To state the obvious, that’s counterproductive for the gun owning community.

More to the point, it’s just not neighborly, which is out of character for the big-hearted residents of Texas. Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners.  That’s not the Texas way.  And that’s certainly not the NRA way.

The activist group involved in these protests, Open Carry Texas, isn’t exactly convinced by the argument:

It’s a little unclear exactly what point OCT had in staging these demonstrations at retailers who either supported or at least tolerated firearms on their premises. The protests made them a target for anti-gun activists, and raised their profile to the point where they had little choice but to respond. Whatever one thinks of carry issues, few dispute that private-property owners have at least some legitimate rights in setting conditions for service and access. and these protests made it significantly more difficult for common-sense gun owners to do so in these establishments for no real clear purpose … other than gaining attention.

John Ekdahl warned about this last September at AoSHQ, when a similar demonstration convinced Starbucks to change its policy on access:

Gun rights activists started “Starbucks Appreciation Day“, which encouraged people to open carry in stores where the law allowed. Frankly, I think this is where it started to go off the rails. Gun rights is an issue we’re winning pretty comfortably. The left seeks to paint gun rights supporters as “gun nuts” and nothing helps their case more than pulling stunts like this.

Now tell me, what was the point of that? Any CCW class, or NRA gun safety program you take will relentlessly preach the importance of responsibility. There are few things more irresponsible as a gun owner than bringing a rifle to a business with the express purpose of creating an argument or altercation, all for the glory of your YouTube channel.

Apparently, Starbucks didn’t want to continue to have their stores be ground zero for a political debate. You know what? They are completely within their rights to make this call as a private business. …

Notice, this is not a ban. It’s a polite request they are asking customers to honor (It’s a little unclear as to whether this applies to just open carry or concealed as well). Some are claiming he just buckled to liberal pressure and he’s lying through his teeth. I’m willing to take him at his word, because I assume the company just wanted to sell coffee without the endless headaches that go along with people making a spectacle of the previous policy.

Like John, I fully support must-issue carry laws, including open carry as a means to defend one’s self. As readers know, I have a carry permit myself.  It’s important to defend those legal rights, but it’s even more important to do so intelligently, in a way that extends sympathy to the cause rather than fear of law-abiding gun owners and their motives. The NRA has offered good advice in this case, and hopefully activists will give it due consideration before they convince even more public businesses to ban firearms altogether in their locations.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

…I agree!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Consider how much ill will the aggressive antics of the gay activists generated.

butch on June 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Overall, it’s irresponsible to whine about these backfired events without giving these groups credit for the amazing amount of progress they’ve made over the past several years.

Don’t be a dupe for the anti-gunner cause.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

BINGO! OCT exists to recognize businesses that recognize open carry. It was Bloomberg’s MDA that made it into anything more than that.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Thanks Ed for talking sense about this issue. Hopefully the people doing this get how bad of an idea it really is.

coolrepublica on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

butch on June 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I thought gay marriage was being legalized in every state?

sharrukin on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

blink on June 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

and mussoleni made the trains run on time..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

butch on June 2, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I thought gay marriage was being legalized in every state?

sharrukin on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I think Butch was missing a sarc tag.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

intelligently

Agreed. The key is subtlety, understatement. When you are winning against the enemy, provide no ammo, no quarter to them.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

How do you “intelligently” open carry in such a manner as to not arouse MDA’s ire?

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM

In your face gay-rights or in your face Climate Change is still OK, though.

higgins1991 on June 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I think Butch was missing a sarc tag.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

That would explain it.

Hiding in the corner hoping not to be noticed hasn’t worked all that well for conservative causes.

sharrukin on June 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Sonic joined Jack in asking open carriers to leave their weapons at home.

Both had restaurants robbed almost immediately.

But things backfired for Mothers Demand Boxed Wine at a Chipotle restaurant

kurtzz3 on June 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

As a police chief and VERY PRO second amendment guy I agree with the NRA on this. Open carry is a huge can of worms that should not be opened. What happens when an idiot that intends on doing harm slips in with the “protesters” and opens fire, when the cops show up everyone’s a target. That’s just one example of many. Keep the guns concealed.

lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

sharrukin on June 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

But that hasn’t kept conservatives from advocating that strategy.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Speaking as someone who used to have a gun rack in his truck so as to not to scratch any barrels:

Publicity trumps intelligence.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Sonic joined Jack in asking open carriers to leave their weapons at home.

Both had restaurants robbed almost immediately.

kurtzz3 on June 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

LOL.

Murphy9 on June 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Thank you, NRA and an anonymous police chief, for dumping gasoline on the flame of one of MDA’s biggest talking points. You are doing more to harm the 2nd amendment than MDA ever could on their own.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

No one is genuinely “frightened” by these open carry events. These events must continue, whenever and wherever possible. Keep up the good work, guys and gals!

Pork-Chop on June 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

enlighten me, how is this doing harm to the second amendment?

lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Yep. One of those unintended consequences we hear so much about. I assume the counter argument is that since everyone is openly carrying, a mass gunfight will eliminate the problem before the cops show up.

butch on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Pork-Chop on June 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I think there are a few people genuinely frightened by these events. They’re the conservatives who are frightened about what others may think of them.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

The entire purpose of carrying a concealed weapon is for it to be concealed, to give me the element of surprise and the choice to act or not to act.

I have a permit to conceal, and I am Conservative as they come. But these open carry demonstrations are just not smart, and not helping.

Meople on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Like it or not, many people feel uncomfortable or even threatened by the mere sight of a weapon being carried around in public. I’m not afraid of guns nor open carry, but I think I would be wondering why that guy over there wants me to know he has a gun? A lot of it has to do with where you live and the culture of that area.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

It’s wrong to claim that activists are merely seeking attention.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

He was referring directly to the demonstrations with the rifles; so then what was the point to those demonstrations if not attention?

nextgen_repub on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

enlighten me, how is this doing harm to the second amendment?
lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

By aiding and abetting MDA.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

There was a situation some time back where a fellow was seen carrying an AR on a city bus. With the mag inserted no less. To this I have to say: Yo dude, what are you doing? Are you too cheap to buy a lousy soft case? Keep it clean and protected and don’t scare the neighborhood.
Let us compare …
If you carry a knife do you not have it sheathed, or folded to be transported in a SAFE manner?
If not then you are a MORON and what is known as a HAZARD. Hazards are dealth with at some point. So if you don’t want trouble don’t act in a hazzardous fashion. Get it?
Open carry? … no probem but that is what HOLSTERS are for.
For someone to be walking around with a rifle or pistol in their hands is going to get my undivided attention. And if they act ‘stupidly’ I will X-ring their azz.

Missilengr on June 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM

nextgen_repub on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Recognizing businesses that allow open carry and encouraging 2nd amendment activists to patronize those businesses, with or without rifles. I covered that upthread.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I do not taunt and openly wave mine in anyone’s face.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Perhaps I have misread Ed’s point. Rereading now. I prefer the inside overhead mounted variety. I fit had only not been for that boating accident. ; )

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Meople on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

True, now be prepared to be called anti gun.

lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM

*If

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM

These open carry nuts ought to show up en masse at a bank and try this stunt. Maybe all wearing ball caps and sunglasses to up the cool factor.

Happy Nomad on June 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM

enlighten me, how is this doing harm to the second amendment?
lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM

By aiding and abetting MDA.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

That would be the open carry people.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I do not taunt and openly wave mine in anyone’s face.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Nor am I saying you need to. But I think you are taking a bit of dramatic license here. OCT goes to businesses, asks them if it’s okay to open carry, has a meal or buys some stuff, and then leaves. How you get “wave [it] in anyone’s face” out of that mystifies me. Not even the NRA uses that kind of language.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

No. I still believe I am agreement with Ed on this one.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Forget it Ed, the commentariat at Hotair is so extreme, they make even the NRA look like Code Pink.

Some of these idjits are this close to declaring civil war on the US government. Some have openly advocated for that on these forums. You must realize what kind of extremist riffraff this site attracts.

I like the right-wing angle of Hotair on many issues, but some of people here are far, far beyond that.

HugoDrax on June 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

That would be the open carry people.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Heh. You’re making my point for me. Thanks Coz.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

HugoDrax on June 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Tell me, Hugo, do you think you are more or less free than you were 14 years ago?

[chirp chirp chirp chirp]

Yeah. That’s what I thought.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

By aiding and abetting MDA.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

That would be the open carry people.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

MDA (Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America)

sharrukin on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I have my CCL and carry every day, but concealed. Ohio has open carry and I know people who do so proudly. But they carry their handguns, not rifles. That has a tendency to spook people and probably get you killed first in a bad situation. I made the decision to carry and I also have advanced training, so I carry without having to advertise it. No one would suspect a 50 something grandmother could be carrying and can shoot the hair off a fly’s leg.

megthered on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Perhaps it is a finer line than you perceive. I have no trouble what so ever with Ed’s basic point in this post.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I agree.. I completely and utterly agree. Bringing an AR-15 into a restaurant is going to make anyone uncomfortable even me, and I am totally pro-open carry 2nd amendment.

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Liberals are laughing their asses off.

rhombus on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Hopefully the people doing this get how bad of an idea it really is.

coolrepublica on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I have no doubt that people like you hate the success the open carry activists have had in favor of the 2nd Amendment.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I know a few people think America has gone to Sh!t, but it’s not Tripoli, Libya just yet. So put down the guns while you’re trying to eat your cheeseburger and freaking breathe.

I will support your right to own guns, and in return you support my right to eat my chicken wings without having such guns paraded around as I eat. Win win.

coolrepublica on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

These guys are just a$$holes.
The guns and the cause has nothing to do with it.
They’d be as idiotic and annoying if they were Greenpeace activists screaming profanities at tourists on whale watching trips.

verbaluce on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Yes, folks. The OCT people do aid and abet MDA. That’s why MDA feels a need to slander the OCT folks./

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Keep them hidden, they definitely have more impact when you don’t know who is carrying.

Sven on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

You aren’t paying attention. The demonstrations have been wildly successful over the past several years.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I have been paying attention. The demonstrations are not successful.

I have been contacted by the open carry enthusiasts.

I do carry.

The open carry people are not helping.

A gun is a tool, not a fashion statement. And certainly not a publicity prop.

When people see mine, it is because its doing its job.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Yeah. That’s what I thought.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Ed, exhibit A.

Remember what I said about these people.

HugoDrax on June 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Very true. The reality is, in today’s world, people like Talibama and Holder, et al, have succeeded in stigmatizing firearms, to the point where some people are terrified of an inanimate object, not the person holding it.

If I’m carrying concealed somewhere and someone walks in with a rifle and handgun open carrying, guess who I’m going to be watching like a hawk? (covertly of course) And this is unfortunate, because they’re probably the last person I should be watching, but I still will because I don’t trust people, at all.

Meople on June 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Moms Demand Action liars.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

You just like making me look stuff up blink. Sorry I make you sad.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I do not taunt and openly wave mine in anyone’s face.

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Nor do the open carry activists. In fact, they very specifically don’t do that. Sadly, you don’t sound much different tha the Moms Demand Action liars.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I am sorry, but carrying an AR-15 strapped on your back into Home Depot is an in your face tactic, and it is giving the MDA ammunition to people who are generally pro-2nd, but are not passionate about it. An AR-15 out in the open makes people feel uncomfortable.

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Ed, exhibit A.

Remember what I said about these people.

HugoDrax on June 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I sincerely hope that when they come for you, you get sent up last, Hugo. You seem like a genuinely nice guy, if perhaps a bit misguided.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I have been paying attention. The demonstrations are not successful.

I have been contacted by the open carry enthusiasts.

I do carry.

The open carry people are not helping.

A gun is a tool, not a fashion statement. And certainly not a publicity prop.

When people see mine, it is because its doing its job.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

+1000

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Anti-OCT: The demonstrations don’t work.

Pro-OCT: The demonstrations work.

Someone is wrong, as this is a binary proposition

A person’s level of comfort with my exercise of my freedoms has nothing to do with whether I should be exercising that freedom. That is why it is a RIGHT and not a PRIVILEGE.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM

This is one of those strange topics that seem to have common sense on both sides, but only when you are a completely disinterested party.

If I owned a weapon, especially a long gun, I would never open carry in public. For completely selfish and personal reasons, I will admit. Carrying a rifle around all day sucks.

I also appreciate the freedoms that others hard work and activism has won us all recently, but am honest enough with myself to admit that I would break any and every “gun control” law on the books without hesitation if it was justified. Who in their right mind wouldn’t?

Mord on June 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Sven on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Good point.

When people see mine, it is because its doing its job.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

As usual you have said it better than me Boss. ; )

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM

The irony of “giving MDA ammo” while using MDA talking points is lost on the anti-OCT crowd.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

But they carry their handguns, not rifles.

megthered on June 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

The open carry demonstrators have to carry rifles. It is illegal to open carry a handgun in Texas. The rifle also has to be unloaded except on one’s own property.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Next hobby horse demonstration, radical breast feeders step forward.

rhombus on June 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Next hobby horse demonstration, radical breast feeders step forward.

rhombus on June 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

That’s been done. Fortunately, there’s no right to breastfeed in public enshrined in the constitution. :P

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

You would probably learn to relax a bit after seeing it a dozen times. It’s already become more normalized in the last several years.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I doubt it. With all the mentally ill people and the mass shooting; if I see someone openly carrying like the guys in Texas have been; I would be keeping my finger on the trigger of my CC gun.

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Sven on June 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

CHL holders play a game when going out:

Spot the people packing.

And then wonder if their holster is more comfortable. And easier to draw from.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

coolrepublica on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Oh yeah…because gun-free zones have worked out SO well…or something…

Newtie and the Beauty on June 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I’m sure, until such time as you determine for yourself that the people open carrying are no threat to you. You have taken at least one tactical self-defense course, I hope, if the mere sight of an openly carried weapon would put you that on-edge.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Conservatives that are reacting to this are simply helping the lying anti-gun groups.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Actually I have been paying attention. But seriously, what is the advantage of open carrying? There is none. All it does is make you the very first target for any potential shooter.

Sure, they’re trying to make a political point. Swell. While they’re making their point, they’re also creating a backlash from normal people and businesses who would normally support them.

If they were to carry their weapons concealed, the people and businesses would have no idea they were even armed. Thus, no backlash.

Again, there are better ways to accomplish our goals than these demonstrations.

Meople on June 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I’m sure I would. And guns don’t bother me, but I am not the average LIV. That is who MDA is targeting and they are doing so successfully.

You sound more dangerous than them.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM </blockquote

Exactly how? I have been adequately trained in carrying firearms. My safety would be on, but if shooting breaks out; I would also be ready.

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Blah blah blah… I was waiting for that rationalization for poor taste.

rhombus on June 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Hey, melle, we finally get to wholeheartedly agree on something! I don’t doubt the OCT people’s hearts are in the right place but stunts like this are shooting themselves in the foot, as it were. I’m about as pro-gun as a person can get and I actively put my money where my mouth is when it comes to supporting the cause but walking around a Home Deport with your AR over your shoulder is asking for trouble because it scares people. Making people scared is not how you advance a cause.

The only good that could come out of this is a Sister Souljah moment for the NRA, and even that is going to be limited.

alchemist19 on June 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM

if restaurants are allowed to bar pets or loud music from their establishments why should they not also be able to bar openly carried guns?

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Correction. Should have read.

As usual you have said it better than me bro. ; )

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

and mussoleni made the trains run on time..

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on June 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM

“mussoleni”, really? “mussoleni”?

Pretty impressive; you are il Dunce.

M240H on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

An AR-15 out in the open makes people feel uncomfortable.

Oh please.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Should it make people feel uncomfortable? 238 years ago, every home in America-extant had a musket which was proudly displayed and used on a regular basis for purposes as pedestrian as target practice. And very few people outside the ranks of British soldiers had ill intent, simply because everyone knew how to shoot and how a shooting spree would end. Lo how far the mighty have fallen.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:09 PM

No, I wouldn’t. I don’t fear the weapons, I’m fine with the weapons. I fear and don’t trust the people carrying the weapons.

And if you’re a concealed permit holder, and know what you’re doing, you would know that and you wouldn’t trust them either.

Meople on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

A potential shooter will likely go elsewhere if he sees guys with guns.

The majority of them prefer ‘gun free zones’.

Meople on June 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

They are trying to destigmatize firearms. The left has made firearms into some evil malign force and that needs to be dealt with face-on.

sharrukin on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

You’re 100% wrong.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Yes dear.

This isn’t true. Texas doesn’t require them to be unloaded. Certain municipalities have attempted to require that long guns be unloaded, but those laws are being contested.

blink on June 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Yes it is. And you backed it up. You can use the state law for a “defense from prosecution” though.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Meople on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Congratulations, MDA. You have another one. Your strategy is working.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Keep the guns concealed.

lpd_1 on June 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM

You lost me. Can’t the bad guys conceal their weapons also?

faraway on June 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM

sharrukin on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

It’s not just the left. People who claim to be on the right are falling into the same trap. This post is proof enough of that.

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM

gryphon202 on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

No, it probably shouldn’t, but the MDA are targeting people who may be pro-2nd amendment but not have an experience with guns. And they have been successful.

melle1228 on June 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Bmore on June 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM

That was funny. I had already forgotten.

cozmo on June 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM