Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on May 31, 2014 by Allahpundit

Colorado’s Civil Rights Commission on Friday ordered a baker to make wedding cakes for same-sex couples, finding his religious objections to the practice did not trump the state’s anti-discrimination statutes…

Phillips, a devout Christian who owns the Masterpiece Cakeshop in the Denver suburb of Lakewood, said the decision violates his First Amendment rights to free speech and free exercise of his religion. “I will stand by my convictions until somebody shuts me down,” he told reporters after the ruling.

He added his bakery has been so overwhelmed by supporters eager to buy cookies and brownies that he does not currently make wedding cakes…

The panel issued its ruling verbally. It ordered Phillips to stop discriminating against gay people and to report quarterly for two years on staff anti-discrimination training and any customers he refuses to serve.

***

The commission voted unanimously for the bakery to change its policy of not serving to gay people and ordered a quarterly reporting to confirm it is not turning away customers because of their sexual orientation.

“Religious freedom is undoubtedly an important American value, but so is the right to be treated equally under the law free from discrimination,” said Amanda Goad, staff attorney with the ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Project. “Everyone is free to believe what they want, but businesses like Masterpiece Cakeshop cannot treat some customers differently than others based on who they are as people.”

***

“When it came time to file the lawsuit we realized that this wasn’t just about us and they weren’t just supporting us as individuals,” Mullins said. “They were supporting the idea that gays shouldn’t be discriminated against in public accommodations. We felt like the best way we could honor what they had done for us was to follow this through. It hasn’t always been the easy road, but I believe we’ve been on the right one.”

In his December ruling, administrative law judge Robert N. Spencer said offering the same services to gay couples as it would heterosexual couples did not violate the cake shop owner’s right to free speech or prevent him from exercising his religion…

“At first blush, it may seem reasonable that a private business should be able to refuse service to anyone it chooses,” the judge wrote. “This view, however, fails to take into account the cost to society and the hurt caused to persons who are denied service simply because of who they are.”…

“It’s either live and work according to his conscience or collect a paycheck and that’s not choice at all,” Martin said. “It’s not a choice Americans should have to make.”

***

By what legal authority does the panel make these demands of Phillips? I’m not even speaking philosophically. I disagree with Colorado’s public accommodation discrimination laws, but at least they are actual laws. The Colorado Civil Rights Commission is a made of unelected appointees from the governor. I looked through the commission’s list of rules (pdf), and while the 56-page document is full of all sorts of guidelines on how discrimination hearings should take place and pages upon pages of rules regarding employment discrimination, it doesn’t actually have a lot to say about what sort of remedies the commission is able to enforce, other than giving plaintiffs clearance to sue. But I am not a lawyer and could have missed all sorts of stuff in my skimming. (Also of note: It is against the law in Colorado to put up a sign in a business that says anything similar to “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone”). By what right does Colorado claim to be able to demand the names of Phillips’ non-clients? Doesn’t that violate the privacy of a third party completely unconnected to this case?

***

According to The New York Times, a case the Supreme Court heard in March, involving a challenge to Obamacare’s requirement that businesses pay for their employees’ contraceptives, “pits religious liberty against women’s rights.” Similarly, the recent controversy over an Arizona bill aimed at protecting business owners from being forced to treat homosexual and heterosexual couples alike was widely perceived as a conflict between religious liberty and gay rights.

Both of these debates are more accurately described as clashes between real rights and fake rights. They pit negative liberty, which requires freedom from external restraint, against positive liberty, which imposes demands on other people’s resources. Under the latter vision, giving freedom to one person requires taking it away from another…

But does the government have a compelling interest in forcing people to accept behavior that violates their deeply held beliefs? There is an important difference between requiring the government to treat gay and straight couples the same and requiring private citizens to do so. One is a matter of equal treatment under the law, while the other is intolerance disguised as its opposite…

[A]ccording to [the ACLU], photographers, bakers, and florists must be conscripted for gay weddings. Exactly who is imposing on whom in that situation? By choosing positive liberty over negative liberty, the ACLU is forsaking the freedoms it claims to defend.

***

Jack Phillips isn’t discriminating against gay Coloradans. Gay customers, as far as all the news stories have suggested, are free to shop in the bakery and purchase (at the same price) any of the cakes, cookies, pastries they like without ever being asked by anyone who they love or what the gender equation is in their sex life. Public accommodations, fine. But the fact is that Phillips does not want to participate in a specific ceremony because he holds authentic, well-documented, age-old religious objections to such an event in the same way that a Hasidic Jew or orthodox Muslim may not want to participate in a ceremony that proclaims Jesus our Lord and Savior. Maybe if we begin forcing atheists to party plan baptisms to make the point clearer.

Though you, and I, may find Phillips objections lacking in merit or even objectionable, according to the blueprint of the American Founding, religious concerns should take precedent over any “civil rights” of cake seekers. Forcing Americans to violate their religion should be avoided unless there is a clear and undeniable compelling interest. Is there no other establishment that bakes cakes in all of Lakewood, Colorado? Because I found at least a dozen other bakeries in the town and surrounding areas. Two years ago, the president of the United States agreed with Phillips, yet today the latter is being run out of business for failing to evolve quickly enough. All this, when capitalism provides gay Coloradans with a bunch of pro-gay businesses they could support less than a mile away.

***

I do like the notion of same-sex marriage as a liberation gateway drug. Inclusion of LGBT people within institutions like marriage will eventually transform those institutions, just as including women, non-whites, non-Anglos, and non-Christians has done. The experiences and perspectives of LGBT people are different from those of straight people, and different in a good way.

So, if I had to predict, I’d go with a gradual realization of the conservative nightmare—only it won’t be a nightmare, and plenty of straight people will thank us for it. Maybe gays will preserve marriage precisely by redefining, expanding, and reforming it—and maybe then it can be palatable to progressives, as one of a multitude of options.

We can entertain these divergent visions of the future because same-sex marriage was really a campaign, not a movement. For a moment, it brought together liberals, progressives, and even some conservatives. But now that its goal is within sight, the center cannot hold.

And then, things get interesting.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

Listening to 50′s and 60′s music on PBS. My Fair Lady on TCM during pledge breaks.

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Playing billiards and drinking margaritas …

ShainS on May 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

… and Sparkie! ;-)

ShainS on May 31, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Heh.

You’ve got me and Sparkie covered …

ShainS on May 31, 2014 at 8:38 PM

ShainS on May 31, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Sometimes, I’m a thinker… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Oh goody, yesterday’s QOTD has about run its course.

Warriors lourdy lourdes…come out and play-ay.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM

We’ve become slaves to the emotional needs to a deranged minority.

It’s over.

p0s3r on May 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I love putting ‘brigadoon’ on the player, COL. Not just for the music, but the sweetsweet irony.

DemetriusPhalerum on May 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Playing billiards and drinking margaritas …

ShainS on May 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Sounds like more
fun.

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Fantastic idea, COL!!

Make it so, Number One.–Jean-Luc Picard

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM

It’s hot here..

I mean it’s effing hot. About 105.

Frigging hot.

108 by wednesday.

Death zone.

That’s why I ordered a pizza.
I ain’t going outside,

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 8:41 PM

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 8:41 PM

[patiently waits for Wolly's britches to toss alongside Cozmo's in the "Lost and Found" pile...]

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:45 PM

That’s why I ordered a pizza.
I ain’t going outside,

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Upper 80′s tomorrow but I don’t have air conditioning. Better than cold though.

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

As people have explained repeatedly, there is more to making a wedding cake than just baking it. They deliver to the place where the wedding reception is taking place and present it and help serve it. Now, they have to attend gay weddings because the ghey….

Blake on May 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:45 PM

House full of teenage girls having a graduation party.

cozmo’s pants are one. And kind of tight we had a five pound giant cheeseburger for dinner.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I’d like to see someone go into a Muslim bakery and order a cake decorated with Muhammad’s face on it, for their party celebrating great religious figures of history. Think any court would force a Muslim to make that cake? Of course not.

In America today, some religious beliefs are more important — and more deserving of 1st Amendment protections — than others. And we all know what those “others” are.

AZCoyote on May 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I like the baker’s attitude. ‘Let them enforce it!’

DemetriusPhalerum on May 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Let a woman in your life and invite eternal strife. Wasn’t Rex Harrison good. I also liked Stanley Holloway.

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

cozmo’s pants are on.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I’ll tip the driver an extra $2.

Because it’s frigging hot.

Good news is, my pizza will be piping hot.

The air conditioner can’t keep up.

Yea,, i(s that hot.
Maybe al gore was right.

Because it’s flipping hotter than hell.

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM

House full of teenage girls having a graduation party.
cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

o_O

I thought those were a myth! Now I’m finding out they’re a hit or myth…

I’m so confused…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Resist We Much on May 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I dunno’? Learn to spell properly?

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM

cozmo’s pants are on.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Happy to hear that.

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM

blah blah blah. it’s QOTD time.

coolrepublica on May 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I am so sick of teh gheys. It’s like a new fashion craze or something and if you don’t go along with what’s “in”, you’re so “out”. Ptooey.

BeachBum on May 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM

You remembered the beverage, right?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Now, they have to attend gay weddings because the ghey….

Blake on May 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Not in Colorado. The two gays in this story were married in Massachusetts. They just wanted to have their “wedding reception” in Colorado, which does not allow gay marriage.

Ironically, it’s okay for the state of Colorado to discriminate against gays, but it’s not okay for individual Coloradans to do the same.

AZCoyote on May 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I’m against anti discrimination laws because i want stupid people/businesses to self identify.

If this guy is going to turn away business for specious reasons, what’s to say he’s not making poor decisions elsewhere in his business that could affect my experience?

lorien1973 on May 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Seriously. So what if I have boobs like Thor. What’s it get me?

Axe on May 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

coolrepublica on May 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM

It must suck to be in the cheap seats. We here in the platinum section get cocktails.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-repeating (or is it reposting?) :

Homosexuality will never be accepted by a majority, as a valid, legitimate, alternate state of normal.
listens2glenn

listens2glenn on May 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM

patiently waits for Wolly’s britches to toss alongside Cozmo’s in the “Lost and Found” pile…] Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:4

Long ago.

When it’s 110\f, nobody gives a shit.

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Evenin’.
Convo starts in 5 days.
woo.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Seriously. So what if I have boobs like Thor. What’s it get me?
Axe on May 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Oh, my… o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Maybe al gore was right.

Because it’s flipping hotter than hell.

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 8:49 PM

You’re in Tucson where it’s supposed to be hot and did you order extra cheese to go with your whine.

RickB on May 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM

BeachBum on May 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Dittos +++++++++++++++
To HELL … with “pop-culture”.

listens2glenn on May 31, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Ultra Unfettered

de rigueur. Mortis.

Note that the Socialists did not rhetorically attack the free market, because the free market was winning the day against their Socialism. They were attacking instead the ultra-free market.
It goes without saying — so it’s necessary to explicitly say it — that there is no such thing as an ultra free market. Nowhere on earth does an ultra free-market economy exist, and if it did, it wouldn’t be a free-market economy — a “Capitalist” economy — but rather a particular kind of Anarchism. And Anarcho-Capitalism, especially offered as a vague, horror-fiction retelling of the wild west, is being offered by serious politicians as a serious political philosophy in the hallowed halls of exactly zero governments.

Axe on May 31, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Got that, everybody? Sure, religious freedom is an important social value in America, but so is being treated equally under the law free from discrimination (whatever that means).

Unfortunately, “equally” and “discrimination” seem to mean whatever an official says they mean at the moment.

And here I thought religious freedom was actually guaranteed under the Constitution.

Yet another case of using broad interpretations by judges to deny what is explicitly guaranteed in the Constitution.

Of course, the entire quote is a lie from the beginning. The bakery didn’t refuse to sell to homosexuals. It simply refused to provide a service for a homosexual marriage that just happened to be illegal in Colorado anyway.

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Seriously. So what if I have boobs like Thor. What’s it get me?
Axe on May 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Geez, Dude. Sophie’s here, upthread.

Go forth and flex. ;-)

lineholder on May 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Shelley Fabares – Johnny Angel

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:46 PM

She was so cute then.

otlset on May 31, 2014 at 8:59 PM

But but but I don’t LIKE Brussel sprouts!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:00 PM

This man owns a private business, does he not? Where in the Constitution does it spell out the rules for private citizens treatment of other private citizens in business matters?

“Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion, *nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof*.”

It’s that second half of the sentence that seems to have been magically wiped clean by the left.

Fascism may dress better because it’s Gay…but it’s still Fascism.

a5minmajor on May 31, 2014 at 9:00 PM

You remembered the beverage, right? Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Hydration is important.

Dude, seriously,,,

You don’t wanna at 108°f.

You will die. I’ve been close.

I work outside. Drink pedialyte. Gatoraid.

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Sometimes, I’m a thinker… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Sometimes you leave yourself open.

RickB on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

She was so cute then.
otlset on May 31, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I was surprised at how much she looked like her TV mother, Donna Reed!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Oh goody, yesterday’s QOTD has about run its course.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I left last night about midnight. This morning, I went back to catch up on what I had missed.

Lo and behold (you DO still say that, don’t you?) I read a missive from Oscar about how interstellar space travel is, ahem, limited by your silly human thinking, and the arrogance to state that “humans” know a great deal about the workings of the universe … and why would “intelligent beings” bother to come here when they could learn all that they needed to know from about 100 light years away.

Yes, the conversation here became very interesting after I left.

Wait a minute … After. I. Left.
I’m sensing a pattern here …

Alien on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Sometimes you leave yourself open.
RickB on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Occupational hazard ;-)

You’re not going to hold it against me, are you?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Pambi, O Sensitive One, lurker who knoweth all things….

Got your email.

You mean like this?

Nailed it, indeed. Scared witless, too.

lineholder on May 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Uh oh think I’ll lurk for a bit.

Good evening folks!! :)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Alien on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I was surprised at how much she looked like her TV mother, Donna Reed!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Who was also cute then!

otlset on May 31, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Hi, Scrumpy!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:03 PM

An instance where the remake outdoes the original.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

The force is strong with you :)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM

+1. The same way you’re required by law to take on any and all cases that come through your door, right Amanda?

rogerb on May 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

How H.O.T. is it wolly?

Stay cool and hydrated :)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Ah yes…but for 17, Ritchie Valens showed so much promise.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Scrumpy, COL suggested a 50′s and 60′s night–any suggestions?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Wait a minute … After. I. Left.

I’m sensing a pattern here …

Alien on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

It was a rather fun and interesting discussion :)

Can we get your side of space travel? ;)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

You would think someone with tenure like sparky….

I don’t understand.

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

They all did. Was it Waylon Jennings who missed the flight?

Now we have to do this.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

The force is strong with you :)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:08 PM

The farce is strong in me. Or so I’ve been told.

How H.O.T. is it wolly?

Stay cool and hydrated :)

It’s this Hot Hot Hot!! (The Cure)

Alien on May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Evenin’
Husband is in a classical mood today. I grew up with a dad who loved classical-so it’s bringing back those rare fond memories of Father Twerp. one of the songs-via you tube that the Mister delighted my ears with…was this one.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Oh, my… o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM

You try to make a girl giggle. But, while you are at the gym, she gets bored and smooches Ken or whatever. And then, when you get back, you are too tired to flex.

What’s it all about Newtie? What’s it all about?

And all this billion dollar software business. You know how many cheeseburgers that is? Way, way more than I can eat. All this to be socially presentable to a family and feed an Amazon addiction?

. . . chicks, man.

Geez, Dude. Sophie’s here, upthread.

Go forth and flex. ;-)

lineholder on May 31, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I dunno dude. Sometimes she’s here, and sometimes she’s there. Sometimes she’s here and there, and it’s anybody’s guess where she’s looking. Thus I will assume the position: upright, relaxed, slightly confused, and ready to jet wherever we’re going at the first tinkling of keys.

The Crystal Method – Trip Like I Do (Original)

Keep your towels close, froods. It’s getting weird up in here.

Axe on May 31, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Can we get your side of space travel? ;)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

It doesn’t matter, all theories but mine are wrong.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Not off hand I don’t. maybe Sinatra and some Dean?

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:13 PM

You would think someone with tenure like sparky….

I don’t understand.

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

No such thing. One comment at a time.

Axe on May 31, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Here’s one for you, Newtie

lineholder on May 31, 2014 at 9:14 PM

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I am feeling confident he will return! :)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Is the new guy gonna pull weekend duty?

We need it.

wolly4321 on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

They all did. Was it Waylon Jennings who missed the flight?

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Yes, I believe it was, Cozmo

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Scrumpy, COL suggested a 50′s and 60′s night–any suggestions?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

You’ve been playing them. Sloopy now. before that they did Louie, Louie. After my time but still good.

crankyoldlady on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Can we get your side of space travel? ;)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM

It doesn’t matter, all theories but mine are wrong.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Restate, please. Human.

Alien on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Wait a minute … After. I. Left.
I’m sensing a pattern here …

Alien on May 31, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Don’t feel bad. KochForBrains and the africana seem to show up when I do. And I promise I’m neither one. One, I could never maintain the atrocious spelling and two, I could never maintain that level of idiocy.

Judge_Dredd on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

AZCoyote on May 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Better: Have a gay couple attempt to contract a Muslim-owned catering business to serve bacon and pork at their wedding.

That would cause the ultimate progressive brain meltdown. They wouldn’t know who to defend as the victim, and whose rights to violate.

The Rogue Tomato on May 31, 2014 at 9:16 PM

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I hate to break it to you, I emailed Ed and he was kind enough to offer me the Black Card Membership. Take that!

I am getting my feet and body massaged as I am writing this comment.

Thanks Ed!

coolrepublica on May 31, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Over 100 years ago fiery orbs flew through the sky and cavemen wondered if they were edible or whether they could have sex with them.

But today most people know they are not edible.

– SP

Axe on May 31, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Judge_Dredd on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Good evening Judge!

Please say a nice Hi to Ocean Princess for me :)

Scrumpy on May 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Over 100 years ago, it was Archimedes who said “Give me a big stick and a fulcrum, and I will move stuff without hurting my back.”

/my translation from the original Greek.

– SP

Axe on May 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM

If morality is defined by the group, the group can change the morality.

This cannot work for Christians who do not define their own morality, but take it from the Bible, which is explicit.

That is why freedom of religion is critical. In the many religious wars of Europe preceding the formation of our nation, people were forced by threat of imprisonment, torture, or death, to obey doctrines contrary to their faith.

The baker was offering equal service to all, within the consraints of his faith. Pretty certain he would refuse to make a naked whore of babylon cake even for a heterosexual wedding.

We allow conscientious objectors in military for a reason. I believe that reason has been lost to many who cannot fathom religious conviction.

The secularist currently considers it rational to refuse to kill, but irrational to refuse to consecrate another man’s sin.

Who knows, in a few years, a man/doctor/nursing home aide/hospice attendant might also be taken before a judge for refusing to kill, in context

The so called universal rights are movable targets. Freedom of religion is the only protection against the degradation of the secularist universal rights which can also be transformed by the gradual erosion and government coercion

Obeying God is incomprehensible to those who disbelieve; therefore the baker must be lying about his motives. IMHO freedom of religion is also incomprehensible to the same group, and eventually they will act to end it as the root cause of evil

entagor on May 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Restate, please. Human.

Alien on May 31, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Okay:

A word for a cryptid gets moderated, really?

Okay y’all, enough with the dang Ouija boards. Smart people know they are fake.

If you want to debate the real stuff:

S________ (ape-like creatures) are watchdogs for space aliens visiting earth looking for tasty things to eat. Their spaceships look like Nessie.

I could go on, but I’ve given enough away already.

cozmo on May 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM

It is a cookbook.

And for kicks:

HA commenter Alien will be by later to explain.

davidk on May 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM