Jay Carney steps down as press secretary

posted at 2:41 pm on May 30, 2014 by Allahpundit

Today is the day Obama settles all family business.

Gotta give The One his due. He may not know much, like how to keep sick veterans from dying while they wait endlessly for government health care, but he knows what the media likes. Having Carney step down today is a neat way to help crowd out some of the Shinseki news, as there’s nothing the press finds more interesting than the press. Well played, Mr. President. Tough break for conservative writers, though, in landing Josh Earnest as a replacement. There’s only one person in the White House’s mouthpiece food chain who might have provided us with as much blogworthy haplessness as Jay, and it ain’t Earnest. But then, realistically, Jen Psaki never stood a chance. You know why.

As for Carney, whose departure has been expected for months, the sky’s the limit — book deal, MSNBC contributor, maybe even an occasional guest-host spot on “Crossfire” if he plays his cards right. Rumor had it that he wanted to be ambassador to Russia; critics claim he wasn’t qualified to deal with a character as slippery as Putin, but I don’t know. He seems pretty qualified to me. (Plus, he’s already got the art to decorate the embassy.) Ah well. As Dan McLaughlin says, he’ll be back to fair ‘n balanced “objective journalism” in no time. Just like he used to do before he went to work for the White House, you see.

Exit question: Dude, what happened here?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What’s up Jay? Haven’t slept well at night? Couldn’t take another day of lying? Finally looked behind the curtain and didn’t like what you saw?

fbcmusicman on May 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Maybe he’s going into the olive oil business.

docflash on May 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I question the timing.

Harbingeing on May 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Carney was a loyal and trusted LIAR. He has no shame and no soul.

rjoco1 on May 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Josh Earnest? Obama’s situation has gotten so bad that his press secretary has to work under and assumed name?

ElectricPhase on May 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM

It will happen this way, Carney. You may be walking. Maybe the first sunny day of the spring. And a car will slow beside you, a car with a Hope and Change bumper sticker, and a door will open, and someone you know, maybe even trust, will get out of the car. And he will smile, a becoming smile. But he will leave open the door of the car and offer to give you a lift.

Bishop on May 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Okay, then give him a ticket on the first flight to Moscow to join his twin, and fellow lying traitor, Edward Snowjob.

ZeusGoose on May 30, 2014 at 3:00 PM

So all those who leaked the Benghazi stuff were “traitors”, too?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM

carney taking the fall for the cia staion chief leak – without taking the fall!

reliapundit on May 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM

If anything, Carney needs to check into a clinic somewhere to decompress and rehab for a while. Keeping so much deceit and misinformation straight, and spewing it with such conviction creates a lot stress.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got like 6 ulcers by now.

After about 3 -6 months of spa treatments and a Maalox diet, he can write his “Tell All” book that really tells nothing. Then he can make the circuit selling the book and negotiate a TV spot at the same time.

Oxymoron on May 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Time to go out and cover for me, Jay.

Sorry Boss, I got nothin’. I’m goin’ home.

LtGenRob on May 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

So all those who leaked the Benghazi stuff were “traitors”, too?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Are you really unable to see the difference?

Just guessing here – public schools?

Adjoran on May 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Bet Jay is relieved he won’t have to lie anymore…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I don’t know. I have the impression he enjoyed lying lol

non-nonpartisan on May 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

David Burge @iowahawkblog · 1h
Breaking: Jay Carney to leave WH, manage son’s boy band

katy the mean old lady on May 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Obama: “I never wanted this for you…I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string. Senator Carney; Governor Carney.”

Christien on May 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Carney is out? Carney Is OUT?! CARNEY IS OUT?!!!?

Should have been on the first round :-)

LouisianaLightning on May 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I like this one for folks here at HotAir.

PANTHER IS OUT!! PANTHER IS OUT!!!

ToddPA on May 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Today is the day Obama settles all family business.

“Hey, Paulie, I want you to go down 39th Street -Carlo Santos’- you pick up 18 mattresses for the guys to sleep…”

Akzed on May 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Breaking: Jay Carney to leave WH, manage son’s boy band

katy the mean old lady on May 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

LMAO!!

ToddPA on May 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Maybe he’s going into the olive oil business.
docflash on May 30, 2014 at 3:14 PM

His middle name is Genco, after all.

Akzed on May 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM

We’ll have another stupid liar in his place in no time flat.

Anybody at the Washington Post or NYT looking for that job?

I know there are plenty of you that are…step right up!

Good Lt on May 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Time for the next useless idiot to please sign in.

Philly on May 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Carney resigned for health reasons. For some reason, his nose was growing.

sentinelrules on May 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Allahpundit @allahpundit
Pessimistic take: Hard to believe Josh Earnest can possibly annoy the shit out of America as much as Jay

katy the mean old lady on May 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Oh my GOD this photo one of the most awkward things in history

was there tongue ?

burrata on May 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

fbcmusicman on May 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Yeah…how about NOT.

People like Carney don’t have the same kind of natural empathy most of us are born with.. IAW they are incapable of feeling guilt. Lying comes natural to them..(See Jen Psaki), also look up the term ‘psychopath’…

He’s just got enough sense to get out before the whole thing burns to the ground.

BigWyo on May 30, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Bet Jay is relieved he won’t have to lie anymore…

OmahaConservative on May 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

To stay alive, he must always keep lying.

After all, you never really leave the family.

Bitter Clinger on May 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Obama: “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.”

Christien on May 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM

….bring the cannoli….

BobMbx on May 30, 2014 at 2:52 PM

You may be willing to stand up to Michelle, but they have to live with her….

They’re leaving the cannoli and denying that there was even a cannoli in the first place. They were just holding it for a friend….

rw on May 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM

So who’s Obama’s next depressing secretary? I would think Karl Rove; then they both could go after the tea party.

Don L on May 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Valerie Jarrett will be gone by the end of the year.

The White House dogs, Bo and Sunny, will sneak out on the roof of Mitt Romney’s car.

Abandon ship.

MichaelGabriel on May 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Oh my GOD this photo one of the most awkward things in history

was there tongue ?

burrata on May 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Kinda looks like Jay was licking his lapel. Notice the feminine hands on Obama. Uber Creepy.

Key West Reader on May 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Honestly, I figured even money on Candy Crowley replacing Jay,
kind of a payback…but I’m sure Michelle would’ve come to blows
with the girth Challenged Candy….

ToddPA on May 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

[cracks open a Miller...]

Queen – Another One Bites the Dust

Newtie and the Beauty on May 30, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I’m suspending my ironic cynical detachment to condemn this vile shill and liar for keeping the accelerator pressed to the floor as we hurtle towards banana republic status.

Nobody in this world does a job for long without some positive reinforcement and despite claims that Carney was kept in the dark or that he was merely doing his job the reality is that he did it in the most craven manner possible with a petulance rarely seen even in DC.

He will, of course, be welcomed back into the media collective with open arms and treated like a war hero and an authority on politics.

He is a despicable human being.

jangle12 on May 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM

lmao

“Not sure anyone in public life has said so many words on live TV and made fewer errors than Jay Carney,tremendous spokeman, better colleague” -Dan Pfeiffer tweet

non-nonpartisan on May 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Shinseki.
Carney.

Economy down 1%…

Waiting for Joe Biden to admit he is gay…

albill on May 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Buh bye you marxist .

jake49 on May 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Let me guess. He wanted to spend more time with his Family…

sandee on May 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM

BigWyo on May 30, 2014 at 3:26 PM

You said it. This administration is full of psychopaths who cannot tell the truth.

Today, Obama blamed “old computers” for the scheduling problems at the VA. He also said, “This is my administration and I always take responsibility for whatever happens.” Next sentence? “This predates my Presidency.”

non-nonpartisan on May 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I had posted on another site (yesterday, actually) how I wondered how and if Barry cared at all about these staffers. It must be tough for someone like Carney (and the other mouthpieces) to go out and spin for the regime day after day. I even speculated that Obama was about to clean house trying to take what heat he could out of the VA debacle, among others. I try not to be cynical, but therein lies the rub, is Carney really resigning for stated reasons, or is Barry looking to try yet another approach to trying to improve his image?

I never thought the next day it would happen. These “staffers” have got to suffer from a lot of neurosis trying to keep up the appearance of an administration ‘in control’ when everyone paying attention can see it spiraling out of control. I’m sure we will never get the truth from Carney as I somewhat suspect he is just falling on the sword for the dear leader.

Slayur on May 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM

So Carney can lie no more for King Obama. I hope that he starts spilling the beans on everyone. I wonder how much he is going to get for his book deal?

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Ah, the latest breaking news. Carney has checked into rehab for liars.

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Forget Earnest, this guy would be an appropriate replacement.

StubbornGreenBurros on May 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Jay, what should be the most important thing I should know before accepting your job? “Make sure you review your tapes otherwise you forget which lie you told.”

Sven on May 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM

“Gibbs, Carney, Earnest – there’s something…similar…about these three, but I just can’t figure out what it is.

higgins1991 on May 30, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Could be the name of the law firm of your worst nightmares. Or accounting firm. Except that, with them, there’s never any accounting.”

How about Earnest, Carney & Gibbs? that has a good rhythm to it. Oh, When I look at the pic, I kept hearing, “I love you, man.”

Slayur on May 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Jay Carney got a better job, he’s going to be Press Secretary for Putin. Won’t have to lie nearly as much, and he’ll feel more at home.

savage24 on May 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM

And, they need to get a woman to replace him and pay her 110% of Carney’s salary. You know all that empty talk about a War on Women being waged by Republicans and all.

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM

The Importance of Being Earnest

Could be fun.

Fallon on May 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Honestly, I figured even money on Candy Crowley replacing Jay,
kind of a payback…but I’m sure Michelle would’ve come to blows
with the girth Challenged Candy….

ToddPA on May 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Well, Obama does owe her a “solid” for shamelessly (and fraudulently) rescuing him during that debate debacle with Romney. However, I understand Jill Abramson is available for shill work. Having been ousted as executive editor of the old grey mare, who ain’t what she used to be, she could use the gig. The question is, can she remain believable while lying through her teeth? For such is the primary prerequisite for any Obama Administration spokesperson.

ariel on May 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Notice the feminine hands on Obama. Uber Creepy.

Key West Reader on May 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yup. Carney looks like he wanted one more suckle before he goes.

Fallon on May 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Josh Earnest looks like a idiot. Only an idiot would be smiling when accepting a position like this on the Titanic. Carney might be smarter than I thought…he is on the lifeboat…

William Eaton on May 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Just wait until next year when Obama claims that his administration is just learning that Carney left, that it’s the Republican’s fault and that he’s mad as hell about it.

sixchickensleft on May 30, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I’m sure Carney has a book deal in the works titled “How to BS 52% of the people you meet and have them believe you” Co authored by Barry Sotero.

birdwatcher on May 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Carney must have had trouble sleeping at night. Beyond that, his nose had reached the first row of journalists.

Give him an Honorary Master of Obfuscation degree on his way out.

If Obama was smart, he’d replace Carney by Bill Clinton.

Steve Z on May 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Are you sure Bagdad Jay Carney wasn’t replaced with a Crystal Ball? I’ve heard Obama’s is broken and he’s really fond of the one MSNBC uses.

njrob on May 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM

The thing about telling lies is you need to have a good memory. Carney is getting old, he does not recall many of his lies.

birdwatcher on May 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM

The budget for Jay Carney’s gig grew to rival Mooch’s food/vacay expenses with all the pants he burned through and plastic surgery to keep his nose trimmed back.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 30, 2014 at 4:22 PM

So all those who leaked the Benghazi stuff were “traitors”, too?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Are you really unable to see the difference?

Just guessing here – public schools?

Adjoran on May 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

And you still believe that the govt’s secrets are for our own good because our enemies may take over. Where you been for the last six years?

With people like you no wonder we have what we have in the White House (Communist trash) and a limp-wristed GOP.

I’ve been dealing with people like you for years and years and years. Everything’s always just awesome and America’s best days are ahead of her. Commies can never take over, the system works, and the U.S. will always be the bestest most powerful country on earth no matter what…because I say so and I got this here big truck and American flag sticker to prove it.

Just guessing here – school of denial?

Yes, friend, Obama loves you. Reagan, Carter, Clinton and both Bush’s love you. The government loves you. They would never lie to you, rob you or hide anything from you.

Delusional.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Carney should have went out the same as his hero Goebbels did.

bbinfl on May 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Live by the die a liar.

Go Jay Carney and sin more.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on May 30, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Was it because of the Communist posters hanging in his kitchen???

Krupnikas on May 30, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I want him under oath. NOW.

K. Hobbit on May 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Honestly, I figured even money on Candy Crowley replacing Jay,
kind of a payback…but I’m sure Michelle would’ve come to blows
with the girth Challenged Candy….

ToddPA on May 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

ariel on May 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Meat Loaf was a terrible moderator…

Sorry, that one never gets old for me…

PointnClick on May 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM

If they wanted a lying piece of garbage that would be just as good as Carney they should have appointed that pig Stephanie Cutter.

bbinfl on May 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Honestly, I figured even money on Candy Crowley replacing Jay,
kind of a payback…but I’m sure Michelle would’ve come to blows
with the girth Challenged Candy….

ToddPA on May 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Can you imagine the cat fights that would ensue when Lobster Thursday rolls around at the White House cafeteria? Not to mention Fried Chicken Fridays.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM

We had Gibbs, who did a lot of gibbering.

Then Carney, who also lived up to his sideshow name.

Now Earnest? They need to keep the combo going with Maurice Milquetoast, or something similar.

I suppose the White House was going for a sense of irony with this one, because I cannot imagine that we’re going to suddenly get the truth.

Psycroptic on May 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Josh Earnest? Was the queen of comedy Eleanor Clift not available?

MrKleenexMuscles on May 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Good riddance, f*ckwit.

Midas on May 30, 2014 at 5:03 PM

As they embrace —> “I know it was you Carneytō; you broke my heart!”

tanked59 on May 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM

ariel on May 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Midas on May 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Oh my GOD this photo one of the most awkward things in history

was there tongue ?

burrata on May 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM

There was music

Newtie and the Beauty on May 30, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Everyone in this administration should step down for lying, deceit, incompetence and ignorance in their incredible destruction of the country.

leader4hru on May 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Damn, Greg Gutfeld is not on “The Five” on Fox News today. He would be great to listen to right now.

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 5:19 PM

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 5:19 PM

His mother passed away last weekend. He should be back soon.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM

No it’s not – none of them have been remotely ‘believable’, Carney even less so that Gibbs was. – Midas on May 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Believe it or not, Gibbs has done some truth telling after he left. Not enough, but some.

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 5:27 PM

i know personally three jay carneys.

t8stlikchkn on May 30, 2014 at 5:33 PM

You would think that someone who lies as much as Jay Carney would be better at it.

myiq2xu on May 30, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Oh my GOD this photo one of the most awkward things in history

Just be glad you can’t see the sword fight going on below.

myiq2xu on May 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM

myiq2xu on May 30, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I hear your point, but then look at the material he has to work with. For one example, he’s a better liar/obfuscator than Jan Psaki. I think it’ll be hard for Josh Earnest to top him.

non-nonpartisan on May 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Jan Jen Psaki

non-nonpartisan on May 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Christien on May 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Apparently, Carney has been lobbying Obama for months to be appointed Ambassador to Russia – a critical position that has been vacant for months.

Since he hasn’t be nominated, perhaps, that is why he left. OTOH, maybe, Obama will nominate him now that he is no longer Press Sec.

Resist We Much on May 30, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I’m going to call the new guy Earnest Josh. It’ll be more appropriate. Besides, you really can’t get away with referring to somebody as ‘Lying Crapweasel’ in polite company for very long.

trigon on May 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM

His mother passed away last weekend. He should be back soon. – Newtie and the Beauty on May 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I missed that, thank for letting me know. Gutfeld is great for humor and Krauthammer’s intellect is outstanding.

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Ancient Greeks would’ve added Comrade Carney to their roster of mythological figures, a truly fearsome creature of deception.

Jay Carney, Legend.

See no truth, Hear no truth, Speak no truth.

Gymistokles on May 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Exit shot….

Anyone can kiss Obamas azz, only the inner circle can kiss other parts. Jays level allowed him to kiss a bicep. Valerie can lick Barks ears, inside and out.

BL@KBIRD on May 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM

If the mission was to make Obama look somewhat intelligent, then I suppose so.

kim roy on May 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Carney……………or Carny, definition: one who works for a carnival. Now that fits the Obama Administration.

SC.Charlie on May 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM

So, does that mean thathi there will be a change in how the White House communicates with the press? Good luck on that.

koolbob on May 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM

LOL! It looks like Jay Corny is kissing Obama on the arm.
And why Josh Earnest? I was hoping for maybe Tommy Vietor as White House Press Dude – or maybe even Jeremiah Wright.
TarheelBen on May 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Too late, Killary’s already scooped up the dude, she knows a winner when she sees one.

AppraisHer on May 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Exit one major liar — enter another.

Conservchik on May 30, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Could be fun.

Fallon on May 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Heh.

AesopFan on May 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Josh Earnest’s vitae includes

Earnest served as a congressional aide to U.S. Congressman Marion Berry from 2002-2003 after working on Michael Bloomberg’s first mayoral campaign. He then joined Senator Obama’s presidential campaign as Obama’s Iowa Communications Director. He also later served as Obama’s Texas Communications Director during the primaries.

Trivia from the Wikipedia article:

Earnest graduated from Rice University in 1997 with a degree in political science.

Conflict: Headline 1977 VS. 1975 date of birth within Early Years.

I’ll go with the 1975, unless he got out of high school before he was 18, because nobody graduates from Rice U. in 2 years.

AesopFan on May 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Bishop on May 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Can we first send the postman with the special delivery package to Carney?

Paging Max Von Sydow!!!

44Magnum on May 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Jay Carney steps down as press secretary

Excuse me, but when did Carney ever step up???

landlines on May 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Those who gave the lines from the Godfather movies are very clever,,, The Godfather movies were my favorite and the quips here really had me laughing.

garydt on May 30, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Somebody has had the airbrush out. The picture posted above, with Carney smooching Obie’s suit jacket, appears on Daily Mail with a completely different facial position.

timmytee on May 31, 2014 at 1:04 AM