Noah Rothman joins Hot Air

posted at 8:41 am on May 28, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

BuzzFeed’s Benny Johnson broke the news late yesterday on Twitter that Hot Air has hired Noah Rothman as our new associate editor. Noah has done great work at Mediaite, where we’ve frequently linked his analysis, especially on media bias and televised appearances of politicians and activists. We just decided to cut out the middleman and get Noah on our team instead. Noah will begin work on June 9, and in the meantime will continue his work at Mediaite.

Noah Rothman began his career in political media in talk radio in 2002 prior to graduating from Drew University with a degree in Russian studies in 2004. He worked for personalities like John Batchelor, Lou Dobbs and Opie & Anthony before receiving his master’s degree in international relations with a focus on security policy in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Republics in 2010. Rothman served as a political analyst and editor with Campaigns & Elections magazine in 2010 before moving on to manage Ology.com’s coverage of the 2012 election cycle. In March of that year, Rothman took a position an editor with Mediaite.com where he composed political reporting and analysis focused on current events and the 2012 and 2014 election cycles.

I can’t argue with Benny Johnson’s take:

Unfortunately, this change comes as we prepare to say goodbye to our terrific associate editor Erika Johnsen. Erika, who has been a great friend to everyone on the Hot Air/Townhall team for the last several years, has decided to pursue an education in environmental law on a full scholarship, in order to actively participate in the fight that she has been waging from her platform here at Hot Air. In the not-too-distant future, we will have to start covering Erika rather than have her cover things for us. Erika will stay with us until the end of the month, and we hope that she’ll occasionally get the writing bug and drop in to enlighten us on the environmental front in the months and years to come. (She’s already written enough to qualify for a completed dissertation, in my opinion.)

Here’s our new associate editor making an appearance last week on NewsMaxTV’s Steve Malzberg Show, discussing the VA scandal, Dinesh D’Souza’s case, and Hillary Clinton’s health:

We’re looking forward to including Noah’s sharp insight and analytical skills here at Hot Air. Oh, and don’t forget, Noah, that the new guy always brings the donuts and coffee to the meetings. Mine is a double-shot mocha-lite venti with soy, hold the cinnamon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sad to see Erika go….was sad to see Tina go….
Yeah, I prefer Females….
ToddPA on May 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Ha. Turning into a real sausage fest around here!

nextgen_repub on May 28, 2014 at 4:43 AM

aww going to miss Erika but welcome aboard and good luck to the new guy!

das411 on May 28, 2014 at 4:47 AM

Going to miss Erika- best writer on the team with a style all her own. Good luck!

Scotsman on May 28, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Wishing Erika all the best–don’t let law school change you! You’ll need your wits about you whilst navigating those shark-infested lib waters… o_O

Welcome aboard, Noah! The hot air here is much nicer and healthier for one than what you found at Mediaite–glad you jumped ship! :-D

Mine is a double-shot mocha-lite venti with soy, hold the cinnamon.

Really, Ed? You call that “coffee”?? I take mine Blonde, Very Blonde…and I’m a GUUUUUUURL!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 28, 2014 at 5:17 AM

i’m glad Erika is furthering her education…but this country (barry) is moving toward a transformational energy policy (prices will sky rocket)

We will be a much poorer county when he’s done…and hon’t think you can just turn every on once he’s gone.

Countries go made sometimes…so here we are. HA needs to keep totally up to speed in the ‘climate’ arena…barry doesn’t see this as a side show, and neither should HA. HA needs Erika…or someone like her

r keller on May 28, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Welcome. Now get me some coffee.

NotCoach on May 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Welcome, Noah!! Happy to have you.

Erika, thank you for all your hard work! Good luck with law school!

bluegill on May 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I’m definitely going to miss Erika.

Steve Eggleston on May 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I will withhold my congratulations until we get an thumbs up from hagfish bluegills.

Nah, congratulations.

cozmo on May 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Important work, and the best of luck in this endeavor.

NotCoach on May 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Wow, big news. I have always felt bad that I haven’t felt knowledgeable enough about Erika’s topics to have a real impact on her threads. They have been incredible interesting but it’s hard to call each other names on fact based threads. Watch out for Noah’s self esteem, which has to blossom under the comparatively mild criticism he will get from HotAirians compared to the crazed at Mediaite.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Mine is a double-shot mocha-lite venti with soy, hold the cinnamon

What? You mean Allah Pundit isn’t the only beta male at HA?

BacaDog on May 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Lolz! Dang it! Didn’t mean to be the spoiler. Sorry Ed. ; )

Bmore on May 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Noah. Welcome on board. I like pie with my coffee.

Bmore on May 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM

So Erika is going to be a semi-literal voice in the wilderness? Godspeed, young lady, Godspeed. Does the new guy know about no pants Fridays?

trubble on May 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Welcome Noah

Great articles at mediaite…. libs love to trash him in the comments so you know he has the goods

Best of luck Erika:)

cmsinaz on May 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Welcome Noah.

I’m really going to miss Erika. Her writing is crystal clear and entertainingly delivered, and I’m a huge fan. She was an enormous asset here and will be everywhere she goes, no doubt. But law school Erika? Really? I hope it serves you well, even if I’m leery.

Best of luck in school and best wishes in your life ahead.

MTF on May 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM

BacaDog on May 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM

He he. He drives a Subaru too!

Wigglesworth on May 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM

He he. He drives a Subaru too!

Wigglesworth on May 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM

POLITIFACT FACT CHECK: True. And it’s awesome, by the way.

Ed Morrissey on May 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Sad to see Erika go. Enjoyed her posts.

changer1701 on May 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Ed Morrissey on May 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Hmmmm, let me see where they are made? Any recalls?

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM

MTF on May 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I know!! Law school!! Oh well, it’s not like they can use some sane people in the ranks of lawyers.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Ed Morrissey on May 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Lolz! Think of all the runs to the store for milk and such.

Bmore on May 28, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I’m bummed about Erika leaving but welcome Noah!

Big Orange on May 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Mine is a double-shot mocha-lite venti with soy, hold the cinnamon.

Fun Activity: Go to Starbucks and order a large black coffee…nice and loud so everyone in line hears you. Wait for some of the looks on their faces.

Then go to Dunkin’ Donuts :)

JetBoy on May 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Ed

mocha-lite venti with soy

Say it ain’t so, Ed.

james hooker on May 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

So Mediaite is about to become an unbearable wasteland?

jusstjones on May 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Welcome Noah and Good Luck Erica.

Abolish the EPA & God Bless Texas!

workingclass artist on May 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I’m definitely going to miss Erika.

Steve Eggleston on May 28, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Same here. I loved her snark. She gave AP a run for his money.

Doughboy on May 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM

He has a master’s degree in Opie & Anthony? What?

Akzed on May 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM

That is not coffee!

Welcome Noah and good fortune Erika!

Vince on May 28, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Sad to see Erika go….was sad to see Tina go….

Yeah, I prefer Females….

ToddPA on May 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Mine is a double-shot mocha-lite venti with soy, hold the cinnamon.

Soy is heavy on the estrogen. I’m not sayin nothin I’m jus sayin.

Akzed on May 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Congratulations Erika! Best wishes in the next season of your life.

I know nothing about Noah. What “flavor” of Republican is he? We’ll soon find out. Welcome Noah!

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Sad to see Erika go….was sad to see Tina go….
Yeah, I prefer Females….
ToddPA on May 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM

We are down to MKH’s two evening posts.

conservative pilgrim on May 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM

From the picture, I thought you hired the DailyKos guy, Markos.

faraway on May 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Oh dear, I was so hoping no one was leaving.
Always enjoyed your work Erika.
Many congratulations and wishes for your continued success.

lynncgb on May 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

A conservative with an environmental law degree. Erika, when you get there, could you get the EPA to un-ban that pesticide that virtually wiped out the bedbugs? Because here in Cincinnati, Dayton, and Columbus, we have the worst bedbug infestations in the country. Kind of like bringing back smallpox. Then Gov. Strickland (D) wrote a letter to the EPA a few years ago begging them to do that, and some bureaucrat wrote back and said, in a computer voice, “I’m sorry, Dave … I can’t do that”, then cut and pasted the words to “Daisy”.

I understand you probably won’t be on that. More busy saving the planet from people who want to save the planet.

Not knowing a thing about Noah Rothman, let me just quote a line from Godfather II:

“Your father did business with Noah Rothman, he respected Noah Rothman… but he never *trusted* Noah Rothman!”

(it’s possible I got the name wrong … whatever!)

LashRambo on May 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Just curious. Does Noah ever go on RedEye?

Bmore on May 28, 2014 at 9:23 AM

james hooker on May 28, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I cued up “Hanging out with the boys” over the Holiday here at HA. Hope that was okay.

Bmore on May 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Erika is a talented writer and analyst. I’ll miss her posts.

Good luck, Erika, and welcome Noah!!

Purple Fury on May 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Welcome Noah.
Now fetch me a Dunkin’ Donuts skim milk vanilla latte-with 2 sugars.
NOW.
*snaps fingers*
*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Good luck, Erika!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Erika often didn’t get a lot of comments on her threads, which I call the “Mark Steyn effect”. Steyn writes brilliantly but often just gets a few comments here. I heard him guest host on Rush Limbaugh once, and he said a few things, and his guest was completely speechless.

It’s because Steyn hits the nail dead center on the head and drives it right into the wood. Readers/listeners may nod silently, but there’s often nothing more to say. Erika was like that. “This is the way it is”, and people would think, “Yup”, and move onto the next post. It’s funny how, to engage others more, you need to be a bit “off”. Maybe it’s like they say — “Love is in the flaws”.

LashRambo on May 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Btw: I made a coffee request because I’ve been here longer than ED!
Any other 2006 peeps got coffee orders?

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Great news. I guess. How long before Matt “hypothetical question” Lewis signs up?

JQA on May 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Welcome, Noah.

Thanks, Erika, for your contributions. Best wishes with law school!

22044 on May 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Good luck to Erika. My husband is an environmental lawyer and has had very rough sledding in his career. Not as many jobs in that field as you might think, and way too many of them are in Washington, DC. But we could use some more conservative environmental lawyers, I suppose.

Glad to see Noah on board, I have thoroughly enjoyed his work at Mediaite and hope he will continue to focus on the media here at HotAir.

rockmom on May 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Fantastic.

mjbrooks3 on May 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Noah appears on Hannity.

He’s a really good writer – by Mediate standards.

Color me skeptical. I don’t know how his writing is going to work without the contrast of Mediate’s slavish, dumbulb, progginess.

budfox on May 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Welcome to Hotair Noah!

Loved your podcast interview with Drew over at Ace of Spades.

gwelf on May 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Erika – you’ll be missed.

Go get ‘em!

gwelf on May 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM

JetBoy on May 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I order my Starbucks big, bold, and black!

Chuckles, from staffers with brains.
Stares, from staffers without, who can’t decode my order.

And once, just once, the iron-pumper black guy behind the counter started to get his dander up, then realize I wasn’t poking at him, just ordering coffee.

massrighty on May 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Welcome aboard, Noah.

Farewell, Erika. You will be missed.

Mark Boabaca on May 28, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I do it every day, and not a laugh or snicker in the room. there is nothing more pathetic than people who claim their identity from what they eat or drink. Lame.

truecon on May 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Dang! I’m gonna miss Erika. Good luck gal, and go get ‘em. Hold their stinkin’ feet to the fire, show no mercy.

Welcome Noah and remember. Stay off my lawn!

Oldnuke on May 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Good.

Now go sign up Sophie, pronto.

CurtZHP on May 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

No donuts for me. Breakfast taco, Torchy’s, ranch hand. And I like my coffee heavy on the half-and-half, four packets of some unnatural sweet crap, and NUTMEG. Welcome to the show.

Sekhmet on May 28, 2014 at 10:07 AM

LashRambo on May 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM

That is an EXCELLENT point. And it is something that should be very advantageous in her new career. Thank you for making me feel better about my perceived failure.

Cindy Munford on May 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM

This is a pretty big “get” for Hot Air, IMO. Rothman’s the best thing about Mediaite, and that’s regardless of political affiliation (the left-leaning Andrew Kirell is also a decent writer, but not quite at the same level). I hope he doesn’t adjust his approach at all, but that means some around here will be accusing him of being a RINO before too long.

Esoteric on May 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Just what the country needs … another lawyer!

Good luck Erika — you will be missed …

ShainS on May 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Aloha, Noah! Welcome aboard.

And a well-done and good luck to you, Erika!

Del Dolemonte on May 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Godspeed, Erika, God help you, Noah. (Not the first time a ‘Noah’ has found himself in deep water!)

Knott Buyinit on May 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM

That’s coffee?

How ’bout a large coffee with cream and sugar from Dunkin’ Donuts?

BuckeyeSam on May 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Well, no point going to Mediaite anymore. Welcome, Noah.

notropis on May 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Welcome Noah! Farewell Erika! I resist change…..

KCB on May 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Damn, I liked Erika.

Good Luck, girl!!

bazil9 on May 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Womp, womp!

ExpressoBold on May 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM

We hire Noah-then mediaite replaces their one conservative with another liberal commie pinko. Oh well.

gerrym51 on May 28, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Good luck, Erika. Study hard.

crankyoldlady on May 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I order my Starbucks big, bold, and black!

Chuckles, from staffers with brains.
Stares, from staffers without, who can’t decode my order.

massrighty on May 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM

You need to say “Big, bold, and black…just like my men!” and add a *wink* there ;)

Yeah, I can only take so much of the “half-caf double decaf soy macchi-grande froo-froo” stuff. And no hazelnut or French Vanilla junk…just give me a plain ol’ regular black coffee. I’m not looking for a “taste sensation”, I just wanna wake up.

JetBoy on May 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Overheard at HotAir staff meeting:

“We need someone to take Erika’s place, as she’s leaving us. Anyone have any ideas?”

“Well, I Noah guy who would be great…”

I’ll show myself out, thanks… ;)

JetBoy on May 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM

JetBoy on May 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I drink a bit of coffee with my cream.
What?

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Welcome, Noah.

We’re going to miss Erika, though.

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 28, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I’ll be sorry to see Erika go. She provided a great deal of gravitas and expertise. Welcome aboard Noah!

I saw annoyinglittletwerps post above from 2006, before Ed.

Heck, I was here when the Boss Emeritas was still posting vents, and the crew were all lusting after Bethany. When we had Bryan Preston aboard, as well. The only constant in HotAir’s history? Allahpundit. Who, despite being a RINO candyass, is such a treasure. I’d miss him if he ever took the bag off his head.

In any case, welcome aboard. And we do need more than one hot female on the staff….. hint hint.

Vanceone on May 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Wut? Le sigh. This is news is ever-so-something. What the what?

rogaineguy on May 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Welcome Noah!

Gird. Your. Loins.

And, congratulations, Erika.

We’re going to be needing some good people fighting the good fight.

trigon on May 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Mine is a double-shot mocha-lite venti with soy, hold the cinnamon.

Jeez, what a RINO coffee :)

Welcome Noah…now, for the ribbing. Just wait until bluegill spots you. Or, maybe bluegill will like you a lot. Just saw the first comments. You’re ok, for now.

Good luck Erika. Destroy the leftist memes, internationally.

To Noah, no matter all the studies – Disinformation was invented by the KGB, and perfected by the West.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Noah better work on weekends too.

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Ditto!

Bob's Kid on May 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Best of luck to Erika and welcome to Noah. Given his educational background, I’ll be fascinated to read his analyses of goings-on in Russia.

That said, my first feeling on reading this was the terrifying fear that AP had decided to leave.

mrsknightley on May 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Bob’s Kid on May 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Ditto x 2

annoyinglittletwerp on May 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Welcome aboard, Mr. Rothman! I hope your time here is both pleasant and productive. Certainly your fellow staff members have done an excellent job, and I’m looking forward to your contributions.

pendell2 on May 28, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Noah Rothman was the only author worth reading at that place that shall remain nameless.

myiq2xu on May 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 28, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Posted at 1.21pm EDT… o_O

Newtie and the Beauty on May 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I like Rothman. As for Erika, her posts were among the best on HA. I am sure she’ll achieve great things, either in journalism or on the policy side of things.

jimver on May 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Welcome, Noah. But I am sad about Erika leaving.

John the Libertarian on May 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Congrats to both of you!

Erika, we always need strong Conservative female voices fighting from behind the lines, so to speak.

Noah, hope you hit the ground running here at HA.

lineholder on May 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM

“Mine is a double-shot mocha-lite venti with soy, hold the cinnamon.”

Schad: Jeez, what a RINO coffee

Heh. Black and bold, Noah. Better bring the heat, too. It can be gnarly here. Strap it on tight.

Jaibones on May 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM

A hearty welcome to you, Noah!

Count me among the many who will miss Erika’s posts. I wish you only the best in your new endeavor, Erika.

4Grace on May 28, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I have never been to a Starbucks!

gerrym51 on May 28, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Welcome aboard the USS Hot Air Noah, looking forward to your work,
and it appears a good fit!

Erika, love your work, sorry to see you depart, but
your improving on your future, you will be missed.
————————————————————:0

canopfor on May 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Welcome aboard, Noah Rothman…

OmahaConservative on May 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM

What are ‘ environmental law ” studies?

TX-96 on May 28, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Welcome to Hot Air Noah..:)

Sorry to see Erika leaving she was a very good blog writer..I wish her much success..:)

Dire Straits on May 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Sorry to see Erika go, by far the most conservative writer the site ever had. As for Noah joining, well let’s just say again, I’m sorry to see Erika go.

lowandslow on May 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Congratulations to Noah! Mediaite just lost readers like myself who ONLY went there to read Noah’s work. No reason to bother with that cesspool of hipster douchebags now that he will no longer be there to give it some relevance. Great move by Hot Air. Best wishes to Erika as well.

cicerone on May 28, 2014 at 9:23 PM