Video: Would you intervene to stop a woman from beating up a man?

posted at 6:41 pm on May 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

When she’s bullying him, notes the Mirror, passersby are all stares and giggles. When he’s bullying her, things turn serious. Which is … understandable, isn’t it? It’s all about the size differential. The guy is bigger, presumably stronger, and therefore capable of defending himself if things escalate. The woman might not be. (That’s also why the public takes statutory rape of teenagers much more seriously when the offender is male than female.) That calculus would change depending upon how severe the abuse got, though; if the woman knocked the guy down and then started stomping him or beating him with something, I think you’d see people move in. Shoving him around just doesn’t portend the sort of serious injury that’s easily imagined when a man starts getting grabby with a woman.

There’s a good point in the mix here, though, which they should have done more to draw out. Namely, size isn’t everything to the dynamics of abuse. If you have a man who’s passive, for whatever reason, paired with a woman who’s physically aggressive, their psychological interplay may leave him unable to resist taking a beating even though he’s larger and capable of it. This guy’s getting laughed at because he looks wimpy getting pushed around by his girlfriend but there are, no doubt, men who feel paralyzed in situations like this due to their own personality quirks. He can resist, and yet he really can’t. They’re trying with this PSA to make people more aware of that but I think it gets lost in the gimmicky hidden-camera idea.

Lots of profanity here, so observe your official content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

#StopBetaMaleAbuse

nextgen_repub on May 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Is that joana?

Bitter Clinger on May 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

assault is assault!

Sven on May 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

He can resist, and yet he really can’t.

Darwin will take care of that.

DFCtomm on May 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Is that joana?

Bitter Clinger on May 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

*snicker*
Guy must be a TruCon.

bazil9 on May 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

If you watch with the sound off, there’s nothing really going on. I’m not seeing any ‘violence’.

faraway on May 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Pajama Boy.

lolerz

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

They probably all thought the second part was an “S&M couple” or something.

cdog0613 on May 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Good question. I suppose it would depend on the circumstances. The police will tell you one of the worst types of calls they take are domestic. Many times the spouse in trouble will turn on the cop and the situation becomes dangerous.

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

As I said in the headlines section, no way. If a man can’t defend himself against a woman I’m not going to step in to do it for him. But, if a woman is getting beat up by a guy on the street, he’s going to get hurt if he doesn’t stop when I step in.

Diluculo on May 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Thinking about the White House…

Kraken on May 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Pajama Boy.

lolerz

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Haha. That guy (as portrayed in the 2nd part of video) could beat up Pajama Boy.

cdog0613 on May 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Lock her up.

What part of “equality under the law” is not being understood here?

Equality means you get no special treatment, right?

Good Lt on May 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

*snicker*
Guy must be a TruCon.

bazil9 on May 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

If that guy is a TruCon, I want out of the club.

Bitter Clinger on May 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Women are sometimes the culprits in DV cases. This cannot be denied.

It is not as simple as physical differences in size either.

A knife or scissors is a great force multiplier, for example.

Have not watched vid yet.

Sherman1864 on May 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Yep..I did some ride a longs and we answered some domestic disputes.
Some crazy shit and some crazy women.

bazil9 on May 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Great acting. Oh, wait, she wasn’t acting. She can’t abuse him with two broken wrists. Just sayin’.

vnvet on May 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Oh I guess I should have watched the video first. Similar situations have happened to me with Puerto Rican girlfriends. You man up, suck it up and deal with her later. Preferably in bed.

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM

$300 downtown.

Axe on May 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM

If that guy is a TruCon, I want out of the club.

Bitter Clinger on May 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

LOL! Sparky? Is that you? :D

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Safeword is “Palin.”

Axe on May 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

First, Beyonce’s sister. Now this woman, in England nonetheless.

Man up and defend yourselves, you wusses.

TXUS on May 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

It’s got almost nothing to do with size. A small guy can still beat the living hell out of a large woman. It’s about gender.

Any guy who gets beat up by a woman is pretty friggin pathetic. That’s just how Nature made things. Size is pretty much an irrelevant issue.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Chivalry

Bmore on May 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM

If a man has the apparent capacity to defend himself, and chooses not to defend himself, that’s his business.

Gender doesn’t enter into this equation. Same goes for a woman. But if an apparently vulnerable person is being attacked an appropriate response is required.

novaculus on May 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM

reminds me of solange gone wild.

ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch on May 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

****************** War on Men *******************************

canopfor on May 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Yeah, in all seriousness, it’s really hard for me to understand dudes that are in these situations. I actually know a few. They aren’t my friends. I know them through girls that I know. (I know a lot of strong chicks.) But it always baffles me. Why would you submit yourself to that? Do you have no pride? But it’s weird; there are guys that do. It’s like they have no confidence or something. Like they think they won’t be able to get a different girlfriend or something. But it does look particularly absurd. I can understand why people would treat the situations differently. If you’re a guy in that situation, it seems to me like you’re a willing participant on some level, even if unconsciously.

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

HELL NO !

Rook on May 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Yes, I would intervene right away. You may argue that the man can defend himself, but you forget that he might end up being the one arrested if he does.

There is no reason to treat men and women differently in such an important situation.

bmmg39 on May 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

As I said in the headlines, it depends on the circumstances, but yes, I would help a guy defend himself from a woman.

DisneyFan on May 27, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Results for #ViolenceIsViolence

Jeff J-Dub Wood ‏@JDub4Life 3m

It goes both ways. #ViolenceIsViolence

canopfor on May 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM

#YesAllWomen

Wait.

Not sure that works here.

Ah #whatthehell, it’s #warbywomen.

BKeyser on May 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I guess the upshot of this experiment is to try to advance the absurd Liberal notion that gender should be regarded as interchangeable. I’m not saying that everyone shouldn’t have equal protection under the law. But, purely socially speaking, men and women are different. The Liberal idea to the contrary is aimed at undermining natural forces.

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Yes,..I would step into it,..if the hammering commenced
against her!!!

canopfor on May 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Fortunately all the profanity was in English…
Sophie & Scrumpy would understand.

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM

$300 downtown.

Axe on May 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Is that what Mindi charges.

RickB on May 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Only in Hollywood movies and network TV shows can women routinely outrun men and beat them up. There is “suspension of disbelief” and then there is just outright absurdity.

Then again, there are lots of other things (mostly laughable) that only exist in the fantasyland of “realistic” Hollywood movie scripts, as the leftists try and make their insane ideas seem normal to normal people. Sure ….

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Results for #YesAllWomen

canopfor on May 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Yes-I absolutely would. Since I’m a woman too-it would be a pretty equal fight.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM

DisneyFan on May 27, 2014 at 7:04 PM

1. Don’t intervene between 2 women fighting
2. Don’t interfere in a domestic dispute

They will both turn against you and start kicking your ass.

RickB on May 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Something about that. I don’t want to hang out and defend it, because the conversation always devolves into some nonsense about female Marines and a bunch of guys crawling over themselves trying to sound feminist, but — to toss and duck –

You and I learn not to beat on each other because it starts to get dangerous. We could kill each other. And even where that doesn’t happen, there’s lasting, painful damage. So even if we were on a path to violence young, and in the absence of any psychology quirks, (all things being equal,) we eventually knock it off.

That’s outside most women’s experience, and some “violent” women (prone to strike physically, one way or another) will die thinking they are a lot tougher than they actually are. All it would take is a grown man hitting her once in wrath. That won’t happen to her because we don’t do that, because asserting yourself by force against someone weaker than you is wrong and the opposite of the way a man should behave. So we’re told, so we believe.

^ Learned all that c. 20 as I was beaten like a bag. :) –In fairness, I totally had it coming.

Sorry, Melissa.

Axe on May 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

About 15 years ago, I pulled a closed umbrella out of a woman’s hand who was beating a man with it while at a bus stop. She had hit him about 10 times, I grabbed it and told her “he’d had enough”. If looks could kill….

portlandon on May 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Is that what Mindi charges.

RickB on May 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM

rotf — I can’t believe you remember his name. :)

I must be stopped.

Axe on May 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM

You and I learn not to beat on each other because it starts to get dangerous.

Exactly. Well put.

Sorry, Melissa.

Axe on May 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Heh :)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM

No probably wouldn’t. A man is stronger and bigger than a woman…he can restrain her. If she had some type of weapon or something, that’s another story.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM

You mean would I vomit and urinate on the guy, if he couldn’t/wouldn’t do it to himself?

Christien on May 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I didn’t see where you suggested what a man in that situation should do. “Don’t submit yourself to that.” is a bit vague.

bmmg39 on May 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Reality check. If you put scene 2 in front of scene 1. As in, if scene 2 led to scene 1. Man cannot “win”.

SunSword on May 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Allow me to explain Spanish women to you. They have fuego en la barriga. ;)

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 7:24 PM

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 7:02 PM

bmmg39 on May 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Just tell that biatch to get the hell out of the house or you’ll call the cops. Happens all the time. Crazy ass b*tches.

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I’d let John Quinones intervene on my behalf. That man knows exactly what to do n any given situation.

Christien on May 27, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Allow me to explain Spanish women to you. They have fuego en la barriga. ;)

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I’m Latina and yes we are passionate….but I don’t think I could beat up ANY man and I’m not going to attempt it. Even a small man. Guys are just stronger.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

If she had some type of weapon or something, that’s another story.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM

If it was a gun, I’d tackle her. If it was a knife, I’d probably let the dude handle it. (This is just generally speaking. Specific circumstances would come into play. If the guy was on the ground bleeding and she was continually stabbing him, for example, I would definitely step in.)

WhatSlushfund on May 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM

In the real world the guy would put up with a little bit of it from her because “men don’t hit women”. But when she starts with the hitting or he gets pissed off enough, he would smack her a good one to get her to stop. Then, everyone would descend on him for being a mean brutal male.

Lesson: The guy can’t win. He’s either a wuss or a brute.

RDH on May 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Women are sometimes the culprits in DV cases. This cannot be denied.

It is not as simple as physical differences in size either.

A knife or scissors is a great force multiplier, for example.

Have not watched vid yet.

Sherman1864 on May 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

About 1/3 of the time.
So it’s happening a lot.

itsnotaboutme on May 27, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Lesson: The guy can’t win. He’s either a wuss or a brute.

RDH on May 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

A guy can restrain a girl without hitting her.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I know you are. A gorgeous one. And one thing about Latinas is it generally takes all one’s energies to restrain them.

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I’d instruct him “BOB AND WEAVE! BOB AND WEAVE!” until he rope-a-doped her to the point of exhaustion.

Christien on May 27, 2014 at 7:42 PM

So the stronger is obligated to take a beating from the weaker? Hasn’t Al Sharpton been arguing that point?

Dan_Yul on May 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

A guy can restrain a girl without hitting her.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Often, but not always.
There are big, nasty street-fighter-tough women out there.
And there are weapons.

itsnotaboutme on May 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

If it was a gun, I’d tackle her.

I don’t know what I would I do with girl with a gun. Call the cops, I guess. Having a gun takes it to a whole new level!

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM

And there are weapons.

itsnotaboutme on May 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I’m talking about without a weapon. A weapon brings things to a whole new level.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM

bmmg39 on May 27, 2014 at 7:03 PM

itsnotaboutme on May 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Five across the lips–Redd Foxx School of Conflict Management.

Christien on May 27, 2014 at 7:46 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Yup, Hollywood loves that kinda silly stuff, a 100 lb chick knocking out a muscular 250 lb man in a few seconds.
Long gone are the days when Hollywood celebrated femininity.

itsnotaboutme on May 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM

He just – wouldn’t – listen.
:-D

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

By the way.. men and women are different. Right? Is that still Ok to say?

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM

If your grandfather or father told you his nurse slapped, punched, and kicked him, would you tell him to man-up or settle for the nurse’s lie that he fell, again?

Christien on May 27, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Eyes poked, face scratched, crotch kicked, etc.
blink on May 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Hate to break it to you:
You have been dating hero-cat.

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Yes, and you think a guy should be forced to take all the abuse he receives until he is able to restrain her. Eyes poked, face scratched, crotch kicked, etc. It’s a good thing that judges universally disagree with you.

blink on May 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM

A guy can kill a woman with a few punches…..I wouldn’t risk killing someone because she kicked a guy in the crotch.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I remember Rush shared some statistics on his show years ago… from police reports.. the vast majority of domestic violence actually occurs from women against men.

Women, by a large majority, hit first and throw things. The major difference was that when a man hit.. he did more damage.

I also have an old news paper article from my college years (so it’s very old data) that said basically the same thing. And the article was written by a woman.

JellyToast on May 27, 2014 at 8:13 PM

And a woman can kill a guy with a few punches, too.

Extremely rare.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:16 PM

the vast majority of domestic violence actually occurs from women against men.

not true.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

If she was big and he was little would be the real test.

tomas on May 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I had occasion to be glad that my second wife didn’t actually know how to throw a punch. Her level of violence did sometimes exceed that shown in the video, but never out in public like that. Most slaps are not hard to block. Spitting is much harder to avoid. Had I responded energetically enough to successfully restrain her during one of her rages, I would most likely have been the one arrested.

There is a reason why she is an ex-wife.

fast richard on May 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM

not true.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I think you are discounting unreported domestic violence. I would not like to be seen as a pansy even by the police who responded as most men would not.

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM

hero-cat.

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Exactly.

blink on May 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

She still talking about me?

Please say yes.

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM

There is a reason why she is an ex-wife.

fast richard on May 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Glad you are not in that violent relationship.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Bitter Clinger on May 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

*snicker*
Guy must be a TruCon.

bazil9 on May 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

The one animal she feels she has dominion over.

And yes Allah, I’d jump in there to save a homie.

hawkdriver on May 27, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I guess there is some of that going on.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Rican B’s be crazy! I’m so glad I’m over that phase. Comes from dating/marrying white boys.

NewyoricanInTheSouth on May 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

It’s about vulnerability. It all circles down to that.

When a person others perceive as the vulnerable one in the situation is being physically engaged by someone else, tendency is to try to do something to intervene.

If it’s a person others do NOT perceive as the vulnerable one in the situation is being physically engaged by someone else, tendency is to not really worry about it. Maybe even watch, have a laugh, and go on about your day.

If a big strong “Isle of Lesbos” Amazonian female was beating up a small, clearly unconfident, and clearly unable to defend himself guy, most WOULD probably do something. Except for PrimordialOrderedPair, he’d be too afraid to do anything.

But it’s all about the perceived vulnerability of others.

Women are perceived as more vulnerable than men, especially in physical situations. Add to that the societal aspect ingrained in men that protecting women is their part of their job description and viola, there’s your explanation of results.

It does amaze me sometimes though, the absolute and complete audacity some women will show in their dealings with men though, simply because they think they’re untouchable. THAT I don’t understand. We CHOOSE, we are TAUGHT, and we LIKE being protective and respectful of women.

But girl, don’t ever think that entitles you to act like you’re untouchable. That’s just rude and taking advantage of a courtesy and respect.

Genuine on May 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Anyone killing anyone with a few punches is extremely rare. You really haven’t supported your original position at all.

blink on May 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM

My original position? That men can restrain women without having to hit her? I stand by that position. Most men can control a women if she’s getting physical. Like I said if a weapon is involved that’s another story. If I were to come at a guy with a weapon I would fully expect a booty whooping…….and I would deserve it.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Although liberals want women in combat as equal to men… When bad events happen and people get killed the “enlightened” among us tell us among the dead are “children and women”, why the do they mention “women” besides “children” as part of the victims, are they as helpless as children? The contradiction and hypocrisy of liberals is stunning about everything they say and do, everything without any exception…

mnjg on May 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM

You want to know if the hero-cat talks about you?

blink on May 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM

We all know that’s not possible…

Because I’m allergic to cats.

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM

NewyoricanInTheSouth on May 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Newyoricans are my fave. When you are in bed, you’re finished when SHE says you are! ;)

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM

the vast majority of domestic violence actually occurs from women against men.

not true.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Regarding the initiation of violence, Bland and Orn (1986) found that of those individuals reporting violent relationships, 58% of men and 73% of women indicated that they had initiated violence by hitting or throwing things first, “regardless of who started the argument” (p. 131). Similarly, in the 1985 NFVS, more women (53%) than men (44%) admitted to having struck the first blow in violent confrontations (Stets & Straus, 1990).

sharrukin on May 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM

And I’ve never said Puerto Rican girls are crazy. It’s just that the men are generally momma’s boys and it’s up to the woman to assume responsibility of both. A lot of Italian men are the same way.

NOT a blanket statement, folks!

Judge_Dredd on May 27, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Because I’m allergic to cats.

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 8:39 PM

That’s a sign of weakness.

blink on May 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Indeed, penicillin as well. I was blessed with the ability to recognize sarcasm though. I write that for no particular reason.

V7_Sport on May 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Guys are just stronger.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Not always terryann. Back many years ago I had a shipmate that got a telegram to wire his wife money to make bail. Seems some guy got fresh with her and she broke his arm. Now Jim, my friend, was not a little guy but his wife was a professional wrestler and she was….well large. They came by our house once to visit. No doubt in my mind that she could have kicked his and mine at the same time and not broken a sweat. Like I said lady wrestler over 6ft. Can’t remember what her stage name was but they hung around with the likes of Haystack Calhoun.

Oldnuke on May 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Oldnuke on May 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM

There are always exceptions to the rule. But I still say generally men are stronger than women.

terryannonline on May 27, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I have some pretty strong ethics, you do not hit a woman except in defense of yourself or others, you do not hit children (spankings notwithstanding), you do not pull a gun unless your most likely going to need to use it, and never hit a woman you’re intimate with.

The last one has caused issues as I was married to a woman who did not mind hitting me. I am a victim of domestic violence. I put her in jail over the weekend for it, but the incident she was charged with and found guilty of was not the only event.

I was a ex-soldier, who could not harm her under any circumstances, I took abuse from her on a frequent basis. The final events were handled by police, but she did in fact do actions that could have ended my life that day.

She got off with the lowest misdemeanor.

She broke a wood chair over my head (several inch thick legs) knocking me out for a moment, she threw a knife at me, she hit me with a shower rod, she threw other objects, I am still unsure (the chair) if she did hit me with the clothes iron, but I do know I held her wrists only.

Tell me this, if I struck a woman with a chair, in a domestic violence situation, and threw a knife at her, how many years would I get?

OregonPolitician on May 27, 2014 at 9:01 PM