Touré: Hey, sorry for using Holocaust survivors as an example of the “power of whiteness”

posted at 5:21 pm on May 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

We didn’t blog his original tweet because it was a holiday weekend and who needs the aggravation, but you probably saw it on some other site. If not, for the record:

Having thus proposed an exciting new strain of “white privilege” that I’m calling “Holocaust survivor privilege,” he went silent for the next three days as Twitter unloaded on him. Then, about an hour ago, he surfaced to say he’s sorry — especially for thinking that the nuances of his point would be grasped in this particular medium.

Like Ben Howe, I’d be keen to see him explore Holocaust survivor privilege at length in a format equal to the task, where he can get into detail on the comparatively lesser hardships of navigating post-war America as a Jewish man or woman who’d been interned at Auschwitz. Recommended title: “Silver Medal in the Victim Olympics.” Or better yet, deliver it as a monologue during “The Cycle.” MSNBC hosts are getting into “edgier” material lately vis-a-vis Jews and the Holocaust. This’ll fit right in.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Twitter attracts stupid, regrettable remarks the same way trailer parks attract tornadoes.

MichaelGabriel on May 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Does this mean Asians are white too???

…considering their average income is the highest in America for any so called “racial group”…

Toure’s theory of success in America = If you are successful it means you are white, if not you are not white.

William Eaton on May 27, 2014 at 6:01 PM

That’s exactly what I wanted to tweet back to him, ask him where exactly in his racist/color spectrum would he place the Asians, given that I live in California and I witness first hand the success stories that Asians are here, and I suppose everywhere in the US too. Not to mention a lot of them had been through horror experiences too, in china, vietnam and elsewhere in Asia, before emmigrating here. The thought of replying to that piece of vomit on the other hand is quite depressing.

jimver on May 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

My dog ate my last post.

Key West Reader on May 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Major Jewish Group Slams MSNBC Host Toure for …
**************************************************

News for Major Jewish Group Slams MSNBC Host …

Major Jewish Group Slams MSNBC Host Toure for …
TheBlaze.com ‎- 32 minutes ago
A major Jewish organization dedicated to combating anti-Semitism and pursuing Nazi war criminals is criticizing MSNBC host Toure for …

canopfor on May 27, 2014 at 5:54 PM

When I first saw this story, my initial reaction was that this is going to get ugly for Touré. I hope his apologizing is not yet over.

non-nonpartisan on May 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM

“Teaching is a political act, and you can’t choose to be neutral. You are either a pawn used to perpetuate a system of oppression or you are fighting against it,” Radersma said during the session. “And if you think you are neutral, you are a pawn.”

She said educators need to challenge the system, otherwise they are giving in to white supremacy. Radersma also argued the first step is realizing that all white people are carrying the signs of oppression.

“Being a white person who does anti-racist work is like being an alcoholic. I will never be recovered by my alcoholism, to use the metaphor,” Radersma said. “I have to everyday wake up and acknowledge that I am so deeply imbedded with racist thoughts and notions and actions in my body that I have to choose everyday to do anti-racist work and think in an anti-racist way.”

She argued that until white people admit they have a problem, they will not be able to fight against white privilege.

“We’ve been raised to be good. ‘I’m a good white person,’ and yet to realize I carry within me these dark, horrible thoughts and perceptions is hard to admit. And yet like the alcoholic, what’s the first step? Admitting you have a problem,” she told the session attendees.

“If you don’t want to work for equity, get the **** out of education,” Radersma said. “If you are not serious about being an agent of change that helps stifle the oppressive systems, go find another job. Because you are a political figure.”

“I came to higher ed to study. What is this problem that I’m scared of? I don’t know what to do. My principal is scared of this. Where do I point? Who’s at fault? My white body is at fault,” she said. “My racial identity, as a white person who believes that I am somehow better or more deserving, is the problem. The white supremacy, the structure is the problem.”

A white attendee of the conference told a story about how her family donated school supplies to one of her classmates when she was in first grade because the family could not afford them.

The receiving family had moved from India, according to the attendee. While she was happy to be helping when it happen years ago, she was now questioning her family’s motives.

“It was like ‘well why don’t you swoop in and save the day and give her all this stuff because we can afford to do that for them’ kind of mentality,” she said in the session.

Radersma agreed and said the family that was helped likely felt discriminated against.

“It’s that savior mentality, like ‘save them, because they are not like us,’ and that normalization of whiteness. Whiteness is best and those poor others aren’t as good as us,” she said. “So, we need to think of them and give them our sympathy and our charity and our generosity, which is so demeaning to the people on the receiving end. It’s so demoralizing and disempowering to be receiving it.”

davidk on May 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM

So sick of these liberal idiots who think their brand of racism is somehow acceptable.

Murf76 on May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

He should be forced to sell the Clippers.

redeye on May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

MichaelGabriel on May 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM

And rednecks.

davidk on May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Since my posts are being deleted, I suppose that I will be silenced.

Whatever.

See ya’ll on the reader boards.

Key West Reader on May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Since my posts are being deleted, I suppose that I will be silenced.

Key West Reader on May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Well, stop posting so many links.

Who do you think you are? Drudge?

cozmo on May 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM

cozmo on May 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Shuddit.

Thanks for the tip..

Key West Reader on May 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Building community:

Touré was born Touré Neblett in Boston on March 20, 1971.

Career
Writing career

While a student at Emory University, Touré founded the school’s black student newspaper, The Fire This Time, which has been criticized for being militantly anti-white. The Daily Caller took issue with the fact that the publication only solicited donations from blacks, and that its articles praised noted anti-Semites, black supremacists, and conspiracy theorists such as H. Rap Brown and Frances Cress Welsing, whom Touré invited to Emory’s campus. The Caller also criticized Touré’s use of a hoaxed hate crime at Emory as a rationale for a list of demands against the university, even after the crime’s ostensible target, Sabrina Collins, admitted that her accusations were a hoax of her creation. Touré defended The Fire This Time as “an important black voice on campus” and “a form of community building.”

davidk on May 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

So, “white people” is a code phrase for “the Jews?”

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Since my posts are being deleted, I suppose that I will be silenced.

Whatever.

See ya’ll on the reader boards.

Key West Reader on May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Are you sure they are being deleted? I saw one of your posts showing up after a refresh a few minutes after you posted it. I think HA is having that server sync issue again.

non-nonpartisan on May 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Mr. Neblett is a race hustling jackass. Nothing more.

Whitey Ford on May 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Is there anything more ironic than some double-digit IQ black guy whining about “white privilege” when he probably has a 7-figure contract with a network that only hired him because he’s black?

If you want to see unearned, and undeserved, racial “privilege” Toure’, buy yourself a mirror, you clueless POS.

AZCoyote on May 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

canopfor on May 27, 2014 at 5:54 PM

non-nonpartisan on May 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM

non-nonpartisan: Agreed,..his remarks need to be dealt with!:)

canopfor on May 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

What’s wrong with five-year-old boys wearing dresses, lipstick, and high heels?

Camp “You Are You” offers safe haven where “gender non-conforming” and transgender biological boys can freely express their interpretations of femininity alongside their parents and siblings.

The camp is for “Parents who don’t have a gender-conforming three year old who wants wear high heels and prefers to go down the pink aisle at K-Mart and not that nasty dark boys’ aisle,” says photographer Lindsay Morris who has been documenting the camp for summer camp since 2006.

davidk on May 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Concentration camps or not, it was hard enough to be any immigrant in America in those times, and on top of that a Jewish immigrant, when anti-Semitism was worse and mainstream.

AlexB on May 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Al Sharpton’s history of hate is so voluminous and well documented, where does one even begin?

The time he disparaged Jews as “diamond merchants” during the unrest of the infamous Crown Heights riots?

Or when Sharpton tried goading NYC’s Jewish community into an all-out fistfight, saying “If the Jews want to get it on, tell them to pin their yarmulkes back and come over to my house”?

How about referring to the Jewish owner of Freddy’s Fashion Mart, Fred Harari, as a “white interloper” for seeking to expand his business in Harlem? (You may have heard of Freddy’s. It was also known as the Harlem Massacre. One of Sharpton’s followers also disapproved of the “white interloper” and burned the store to the ground, murdering eight people including himself.)

But those tirades were just Sharpton’s anti-semitic ones. He’s also sermonized on “Greek homos” and “crackas” as well as bombarded former NYC Mayor David Dinkins with a barrage of N-bombs.

davidk on May 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM

What about the Political Power of Blackness based on the history of slavery, even though not all slaves in history have been black, and not all slave owners were white Europeans. An awful lot of blacks were sold into slavery by other blacks. So Toure’, put a sock in it.

There have been injustices throughout history. Your people aren’t the only ones. So get over it and do what you can to improve things instead of assessing blame.

flataffect on May 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

All I know is that Touré Neblett has enjoyed waaaaay more privilege his entire life than I ever had.

myiq2xu on May 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM

It was a dumb idea by me to debate serious and nuanced topics in 140 characters or less… (Cont.)

But issuing a half-assed apology in 140 characters or less is brilliant.

Stoic Patriot on May 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM

O/T Why are all of the mass murderers Democrats?

onlineanalyst on May 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Why is this POS still on the air?

Decoski on May 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

A black man says:

Jerome Hudson @JeromeEHudson · 2h

The craziest part is when it comes to racist and anti-Semitic statements, @toure hasn’t even bottomed out yet.

davidk on May 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Jason Mattera ‏@JasonMattera 2h

Because “single payer” has worked out sooooo well for the VA http://po.st/vY6e5Q

davidk on May 27, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Welcome to MSNBC, where our Motto is

“Dumb as Sh*t, and Proud of it”

ToddPA on May 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Ironically, Toure sure looks like he has some white blood in his family line.

inmypajamas on May 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Toure on Twitter from 4 Jun 2009

@Toure Last night a question occurred to me: Are Jewish people niggers? I think: Sometimes and in some ways yes, sometimes and in some ways no.

How is a racist like this on national TV?

tetriskid on May 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Toure on twitter in 2009:

@Toure 4 Jun 2009

tetriskid on May 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Some previous Toure turds:

Touré @Toure

11:25 AM – 4 Jun 2009

Aaand, after the blowback:

Touré ‏@Toure

Comparing the oppression of blacks & Jews and positing who’s had it worse is an intellectually immature & irrelevant topic.

12:06 PM – 4 Jun 2009

This moron not only fails to learn from history in typical Leftist fashion, he doesn’t even learn from his own history.

That there is some serious stupid.

novaculus on May 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Touré can kiss my white ass.

GarandFan on May 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Why is it the Black population is about 13% yet the media thinks we need a token Black 50% of the time. Time for the yellow, brown, red, and all the shades between to get their parts in this play.

mixplix on May 27, 2014 at 7:34 PM

So I was reading about the Zimmerman trial and the racial uproar over it a few nights ago, and I stumbled upon a series of tweets from MSNBC’s Toure’, one of the most sanctimonious race-hustlers and grievance mongers in America today. Toure’ puts forth the theory of “white privilege”, which is apparently some invisible energy field that surrounds white people and protects them from harm and misfortune. It is apparently particularly useful in job interviews, police interactions, hailing a taxi, and dealing cocaine. Toure’ compares white people to a fish in the ocean that is completely unaware of the water that surrounds it, but like that water, “white privilege” encompasses, supports, and protects white people, to the detriment of non-whites. The fact that white people are unaware of any such “white privilege” doesn’t negate the fact that it is there, and even though he offers no empirical evidence for its’ existence, the fact that you don’t recognize it is simply proof that you are indeed a racist. Nice little circular argument he’s got there.

I don’t really know anything about Toure’, other than his “national” TV show has fewer viewers than the population of Orlando, so he isn’t really reaching any real audience besides liberal ninnies and racists predisposed to agree with him anyway. But hey… maybe he has some street cred… maybe he grew up on the mean streets of Oakland or LA or Chicago or Miami and knows what he is talking about. So I Googled up Toure’, and the Wikipedia entry for him reveals that he is a graduate of the prestigious Milton Academy, an elite private boarding school in Massachusetts.

You gotta be sh*tting me… This smug, effete douchenozzle went to the same private school as Teddy Kennedy and Buckminster Fuller? Toure’ is “down for da hood”? Toure’ understands “the struggle”? Toure’ speaks for the downtrodden blacks in this country, still held in bondage by racist whites? Toure’ has the gall to lecture us on “white privilege”?

What an astounding crock of sh*t. While Toure’ was being fitted for his 9th grade navy blazers and short pants, my 9th grade year was spent in Sears jeans, throwing newspapers and loading trucks at the newspaper plant to help pay for my clothes and lunches, growing up in a lower middle class neighborhood that was roughly 40% white, 40% black, and 20% Cuban/Mexican. I know more about the plight of poor blacks than this well-heeled liberal poser. Keysha and Tyrone on the corner do not even know what a boarding school is, you race-mongering dipsh*t. Methinks Mr. Toure’ is confusing “white privilege” with “rich privilege”, which has apparently served him very well.

Excerpt from Stop Being Black

PointnClick on May 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Silver Medal in the Victim Olympics?? More like the Pewter medal of the victim Olympics.

jake49 on May 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM

The blacks have the power, there is a Black Miss America contest and there is also a Miss America contest that a Black women won, there are 19 universities that are Black only, try that one in the white world. Qualification standards were lowered for the Blacks to enter college so more would have the opportunity to get an education. There is also BEN (Black entertainment network) do you see a white entertainment network? The Blacks have the power but they have no idea what to do with it.

mixplix on May 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM

The power of going to work.

Ronnie on May 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM

The Blacks have the power but they have no idea what to do with it.

mixplix on May 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Sure they do. They vote lockstep for the politicians who will give them the most free stuff.

cozmo on May 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM

PointnClick on May 27, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Well, he managed to offend even leftist Jews with his stupid tweets, so if you slash that segment out of his leftist audience, not much left there :)…

jimver on May 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Why are the loudest race baiters always dubiously ethnic quadroons?

Mitochondrion on May 27, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Toure is an idiot, why would anyone expect anything honest or intelligent from him anyway? I sure don’t.

Diluculo on May 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Too put it bluntly…the “Jooooo Card” trumps the “Black Card” every time…

right2bright on May 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM

i’m surprised. even a sh*t-for-brains like him has enough intelligence to apologize for this. i never really expect anything from him so yeah

Sachiko on May 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM

OT: Texas runoff results page :

pambi on May 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I nevah knew I be Jewish! Thanx, Toure!

DublOh7 on May 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM

This fresh off the twitterverse (RT by Ben Shapiro) (Touret tweet from 2009). Looks like this topic has been on Touret’s fragile mind for quite a while :)

@Toure Last night a question occurred to me: Are Jewish people n…s? I think: Sometimes and in some ways yes, sometimes and in some ways no.

jimver on May 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Looks like he’s got his own hashtag now :) #ThePowerofToure

jimver on May 27, 2014 at 9:22 PM

non-nonpartisan on May 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I can’t speak to bluegill repeating herself or the effect it might have. I just agree with her point that Hot Air has been surprisingly slow on the draw on recent occasions. This isn’t one of the bigger missed stories, I admit.

Missy on May 27, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Indeed.

rockmom on May 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Admit it, Mom … he only succeeded because of his whiteness!

Jaibones on May 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Blockbuster fail, sorry. Kindle.

Missy on May 27, 2014 at 9:40 PM

… who gives a rat’s ass

Key West Reader on May 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

I do! I think it’s hilarious.

Jaibones on May 27, 2014 at 9:44 PM

He should be forced to sell the Clippers.

redeye on May 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

LOL.

Bigbullets on May 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM

We had a term for people like Touré back in the day.

Jive-aşş turkey.

Obama would also qualify. A common form in the ’70s was the street hustler who had a “smooth rap” and preyed upon the guilt of young white liberals and hippies.

Adjoran on May 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM

— Touré (@Toure) May 27, 2014

FTFY.

Chump.

nukemhill on May 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

24/7 moron

Conservchik on May 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM

This Toure fellow is nothing but a highly-paid troll. People really ought to follow the First Rule of Trolls with this guy: Stop feeding (reacting to) him.

Othniel on May 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM

There is no white privilege. But there is the privilege earned by growing up in an intact family. The black community can give this privilege just as easy as any other ethnic group.

TMink on May 28, 2014 at 12:03 AM

“It was a dumb idea by me to debate serious and nuanced topics in 140 characters or less..”

Due to space constraints, Toure left off the following….”Mostly because of the limit of 140 characters. Also because of the part where I debate something smarter than a rotten potato. Also because the debate would be serious. Especially because the subject matter is also nuanced. In all honesty, I originally wanted to post something about my favorite flavor of pudding, but find the topic to heady for my tastes. I don’t know how it turned into something about the holocaust.

chapman on May 28, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Perfect example of yet another person who got a job because of affirmative action rather than merit.

opunmind on May 28, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Gee I wonder if toure thought the duke lacrosse team was innocent after all?

cosifantutte on May 28, 2014 at 7:59 AM

So the SURVIVORS who escaped being exterminated is an example of ‘power’, let alone ‘WHITE power’?! Surviving that attrocity is “white privilege”?

That’s far dumber than suggesting Guam would actually tip over if the U.S. put any more troops on the island. THIS kind of thinking is actually DANGEROUS!

easyt65 on May 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Why does this IDIOT have a job. The left is mindless when it come to their own flock with a insane talking head screws up with a comment so far out of left field it defies the imagination. This creep should be FIRED!!

karlinsync on May 28, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Yes, sorry all for saying holocaust survival is attributed to the power of whiteness.

What I meant to say was, it’s attributed to the power of Jewness.

Because Zionists.

/s

The Schaef on May 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Also, I saw La Vita e Bella, so I know that the ability to survive the Holocaust was not due to the power of your skin color.

It was because of your ability to trick your child into hiding in small spaces by promising he would win a real tank.

The Schaef on May 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Othniel on May 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Let me let you in on something: there is an entire conservative industry that exists solely to get into fights with their liberal counterparts. It’s call cable news.

JQA on May 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I look at this guy’s face. I don’t even have to know who he is. And I can’t stand him. What a DB.

brentspolemics on May 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM

moron. And whoever hired him is also a moron.

ultracon on May 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Here is the answer: just go away and sin no more.

warmairfan on May 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM

JQA on May 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Whoa – CNN and MSNBC are conservative cable news outlets! And AJ probably is too since their owners clearly hate women and gays.

Zomcon JEM on May 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM

He’s suffering from Toure’s Syndrome: compulsion to issue racist remarks in public.

virgo on May 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Be sure to read Toure’s new book, a NYTimes bestseller:
The Unbearable Whiteness of Being

Marcola on May 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I take a WAG that this shiitidiot is both a product of Affirmative Action AND an Ivy League ‘education’. Right?
In the aerospace world he’s what we call an ignoranus.

Missilengr on May 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM

aaaaafriiicaaaannn Americans like this moron are a disgrace to his race and are classic bigots and racists in their own right. This tool is a legend in his own mind. Where the H did he come from?

ultracon on May 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Young Sharkton

Schadenfreude on May 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

The Schaef on May 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I loved that movie, as heartbreaking as it was on many levels, it was incredibly uplifting too.

jimver on May 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM

More Yaya Toure, less of this guy.

Christien on May 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM

His name is Toure Neblett. Don’t humor the arrogant asshat by using only his first name. Cher he ain’t.

Colony14 on May 28, 2014 at 9:46 PM

“Major Jewish Group Slams MSNBC Host Toure for …”

Yet, unfortunately, those same groups will support and vote for liberals.

ncjetsfan on May 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM