Pelosi: My preferred Obamacare ‘fix’ is single-payer, obviously

posted at 6:01 pm on May 27, 2014 by Guy Benson

Please don’t misunderstand. She is most assuredly not suggesting that Obamacare isn’t working fabulously as is.  Like the president, the House Minority Leader believes the new law is working “the way it’s supposed to,” a sentiment shared by a minuscule fraction of the public.  To drive home this point, she beams that the law is “beautiful,” and that Healthcare.gov is finally “well” — even as crucial elements that impact consumers have yet to be built.  Come to think of it, Pelosi tells Ezra Klein, the Obamacare rollout (!) is pretty compelling evidence of Democrats’ strong record on governance:

This line of thinking is roughly akin to that guy who recently cited…Benghazi as Hillary Clinton’s biggest accomplishment.  Points for sheer, shameless balls, if nothing else. Democrats find themselves torn between two O-Care narratives, which exist in tension with one another.  Safe liberals like Pelosi can cheerfully indulge the delusion of Obamacare’s glittering success, while more vulnerable members and candidates seek refuge in the “fix it, don’t nix it” camp.  In a nod to reality, Pelosi acknowledges there may be some elements to “improve upon,” prompting Klein to ask for an example or two:

PELOSI: I had some of my own suggestions that I couldn’t get through in the first round

KLEIN: How would you like to see it improved?

PELOSI: Well of course I wanted single-payer, and I wanted a public option.  But that not being in the mix, uh, you have to prioritize what it is you want to get over the finish line.  And now let’s refine and improve — and some of that relates to how it is implemented, so you see how it is implemented.

The phrase “first round” is telling.  Obamacare has never been the end game for elite lefties, and they haven’t been especially shy about saying so — even though they occasionally squeal about “smears” if you read back their own verbatim quotes.  Pelosi understands that a full-blown government system isn’t “in the mix” at the moment, so she concedes that settling for Statist incrementalism is the only viable path forward.  I couldn’t quite follow her tautological mumbling about implementation, but I think she’s offering a new spin on her infamous “pass it to find out what’s in it” insight.  The gist: People need to see Obamacare’s success more clearly, so they can better appreciate the greatness that lies within.  It’s basically a clumsy iteration of one of the president’s favorite tropes: The law’s enduring unpopularity is a function of a messaging problem, not of substantive flaws.  Speaking of public opinion, so many ignorant ingrates, so little time before November:

President Barack Obama celebrated when sign-ups for his health care law topped 8 million, far exceeding expectations after a slipshod launch. Most Americans, however, remain unimpressed. A new Associated Press-GfK poll finds that public opinion continues to run deeply negative on the Affordable Care Act, Obama’s signature effort to cover the uninsured. Forty-three percent oppose the law, compared with just 28 percent in support. The pattern illustrates why the health care law remains a favored target for Republicans seeking a Senate majority in the midterm elections.

Underwater by 15 points, as per usual.  Also, new Obamacare enrollments have neither “topped 8 million” nor “exceeded expectations.”  Oddly, the media’s attempts to cobble together a “winning streak” storyline have failed to catch fire with the public.  How is that possible?  I’m afraid I couldn’t possibly even begin to untangle such a vexing, impossible riddle.  Perhaps some of these people might have a few thoughts.  Parting thought:  For a party that’s so heavily invested in the “fix Obamacare” message, it’s remarkable how ill-prepared leading Democrats have been to field questions about specific fixes.  DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz couldn’t name a single change she’d support on MSNBC, and now here’s Pelosi rambling vaguely about refinements, or whatever.  The only thing she seems to know with any degree of certainty is that single-payer is her dream fix, with Harry Reid evidently on board with that eventuality, too.  Do 2014 Democrats agree with their party’s leadership that the best way to repair Obamacare is to hand the entire system over to a federal bureaucracy, a la the VA?  That question ought to be posed to every Democrat in America — and if they claim to dissent from the Reid/Pelosi line, they should be asked explain how they’d overcome the impulses of their own party’s leadership.  How has that effort gone for, say, Senators Mary Landrieu and Mark Begich on energy policy, for instance?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yay! VA health care for everyone!

Ronnie on May 27, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Well, ThisIsYourBrainOnKoch obviously isn’t very bright. All she knows is what she was taught by Soviet economics professors. She might never understand real economics.

blink on May 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Lay that line off, please. Russians, such as myself, know economics far better than your average Yank. If you need a proof, check the numbers on non-revolving debt per household.

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Does Russia have non-revolving debt programs for its citizens? I didn’t know that.

What is the per capita debt there?

avagreen on May 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

What is the per capita debt there?

avagreen on May 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Not a fracking clue. I’m Russian by birth, not by citizenship or residence.

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Communism here we come.

evie1949 on May 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM

OT: Texas runoff results page :

pambi on May 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Not a fracking clue. I’m Russian by birth, not by citizenship or residence.

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Fear not, Pooty’s internet hackers have dropped a new passport in the mail to you as I write this. They’ve contracted it out to the company that used to distribute AOL disks.

slickwillie2001 on May 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

If you need a proof, check the numbers on non-revolving debt per household.

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I know what the debt level, revolving and non-revolving, is in my household: ZERO. I don’t owe any human being a cent.

307wolverine on May 27, 2014 at 8:32 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Don’t knock AOL distributives! They came with a nice tin box, which was highly convenient to store assorted pirated software CD’s.

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:33 PM

307wolverine on May 27, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Wish I could say the same. One drawback of being a first-generation legal immigrant with kids is a mortgage. Outside of that, I’m also debt clean, and so should everyone who values their liberty.

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM

While Pelosi’s preferred fix is single payer, she will never be subjected to it. Nor will she be required to suffer Obamacare, so it’s all a bunch of claptrap BS.

Thie woman is shameless. She sits all comfy with her Federal Employee gold plated coverage. It’s just disgusting.

marybel on May 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM

307wolverine on May 27, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Same here. ZERO.

avagreen on May 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Rix on May 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I was able to pay cash for my home. And no, I am not rich. I was penniless at age 40 and a single parent. I declared bankruptcy. I just had to look in the mirror and admit that I was my own worse enemy. I have never made more than $30k a year either.

307wolverine on May 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM

307wolverine on May 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Good on you, wolverine.

More children need parents like you. *hat tip to you*

avagreen on May 27, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I don’t agree with the stuff on this site but sometimes you guys crack me up. That pick is hilarious. They are about to unload over single payer.

Love it

AmlissVess on May 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Queen of Rules for Thee but not for Me

She’s nauseating.

Conservchik on May 27, 2014 at 11:05 PM

The Republicans should be running a campaign that highlights the Dems War On Veterans. They have neither brains nor balls. They should be telling the idiots in this country that the VA health system will soon be their health system. They should be telling blacks that the illegals are taking their jobs. I doubt the Pibs have the brains to win the Senate.

alanstern on May 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Please don’t misunderstand. She is most assuredly not suggesting that Obamacare isn’t working fabulously as is. Like the president, the House Minority Leader believes the new law is working “the way it’s supposed to,” a sentiment shared by a minuscule fraction of the public. To drive home this point, she beams that the law is “beautiful,” and that Healthcare.gov is finally “well” — even as crucial elements that impact consumers have yet to be built. Come to think of it, Pelosi tells Ezra Klein, the Obamacare rollout (!) is pretty compelling evidence of Democrats’ strong record on governance:

We are living in an Orwellian world.

Only government can get away with this for any period of time. Those times end when entire sectors of the economy collapse or an entire national economy collapses.

The collapse of the health care sector of the economy is an intentional feature of Obamacare. It is what Obamacare was designed to do. It will be blamed, of course, on greedy capitalists. And the remedy will be, of course, single payer and government run health care.

A private enterprise that tries to talk up failure as success would get massacred by the market. The neo-socialists who operate within universal suffrage representative democracies rely on the stupidity and ignorance of a majority of the sheeple to get away with what they do. It helps a lot when they also run the vast majority of the media and can tailor their propaganda accordingly.

farsighted on May 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM

The end result is going to look more like Medicaid than Medicare or VA. I.e. the worst of three poor options. The larger the pool, the lower the quality, and the largest pool possible is under single-payer, and that leads to a quasi-Medicaid system.

BTW, I bought my townhouse (1600 sq. ft.) in 2009 for $32K. In 2011 it was valued at $25K, but I think it’s back up to par by now. I have some creditor issues (not with the mortgage) but am counting on a little thing called the homesteading law (where you’re protected below a certain maximum value of the home, something like $75K-100K depending on the state) if worse comes to worse. It’s not a great neighborhood (not quite Detroit but seems to be going that way); but sheet metal behind the windows will be an easy option one day, plus cameras in obvious locations.

Moron Labe on May 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Eeeewwwww! Brain bleach stat!

otlset on May 28, 2014 at 4:48 AM

Single Payer = V.A. Health Care System

Harry Reid already admitted over a year ago that Obamacare was never meant to ‘fix’ anything, that it was always meant to be a stepping-stone to Singe Payer…it just did not start off and began to crumble faster than they thought.

‘Won’t cost a dime….will pay for itself…will reduce the deficit…will lower the cost of health care…will NOT contain any new taxes…like your doctor/plan – keep them’ — all these have been proven false.

‘No Death Panels’ — The V.A. ‘Death Panels’ / ‘Secret Waiting Lists’ are the ‘smoking gun’ that proves another promise is nothing but a LIE.

The only thing Obama has proven is that everything …EVERYTHING… he says is a LIE!

Obama is not a ‘President’ — he is an ‘Enemy of the State’ seeing his daddy’s dream fulfilled.

easyt65 on May 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Proves Pelosi is a communist – NEXT!

Turtle317 on May 28, 2014 at 9:45 AM

With Pelosi advocating single payer in the midst of the VA debacle it really begs the question: Just how stupid does she think we are? Sadly there is 40% of alleged Americans who are. Sigh.

warmairfan on May 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Ditto!

ultracon on May 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Single payer for Obamacare because the VA is being run so well.

neyney on May 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Single payer? Why not! The American Voters richly deserve VA class medical care. They earned it with their votes in 2008 and 2012.

All’s well that ends well.

fadetogray on May 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Gleaned from a Yahoo link somewhere on this site: Heh!

A nice little story.

Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard, my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog.

During our friendly conversation, I asked their little girl what she wanted to be when she grew up.
She said she wanted to be President some day.
Both of her parents, Democratic Party members were standing there, so I asked her, “If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?”
She replied… “I’d give food and houses to all the homeless people.”
Her parents beamed with pride!
“Wow…what a worthy goal!” I said.
“But you don’t have to wait until you’re President to do that!” I told her.
“What do you mean?” she replied.

So I told her, “You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I’ll pay you $50. Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.”

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, “Why doesn’t the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?”

I said, “Welcome to the Republican Party.”

Her parents aren’t speaking to me anymore.

Judging from the votes, Ob00berCare is not pop-u-lar anymore, even amongst Yahooers.

avagreen on May 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM