NJ “gun control” law would ban small bore hunting rifles

posted at 11:01 am on May 25, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Now that it has passed the New Jersey Assembly, a new law intended to restrict the rights of gun owners heads to the desk of Governor Chris Christie. It’s being billed as legislation to “restrict magazine size” in the Garden State.

The New Jersey state Assembly on Thursday sent Governor Chris Christie a gun control bill that would limit the capacity of gun ammunition magazines, but it was unclear whether the Republican governor would sign the measure into law…

The bill, approved in the Assembly by a 44-34 vote, would cut the maximum capacity of gun magazines to 10 from 15.

Gun control groups say it could save lives.

“No law abiding citizen needs 15-round magazines,” said Bryan Miller, executive director of the anti-violence group Heeding God’s Call.

As usual, you have to read the details of the bill to find out precisely how bad it is. (Unless you’re Nancy Pelosi, of course.) Even if you agree with the premise that limiting the magazine capacity of weapons will somehow improve matters – and I don’t – the effect of this bill would be far more reaching. Proponents would have you picturing things like massive, extended, banana shaped magazines protruding from the butt of Dirty Harry size hand cannons or drum shaped, street sweeper shotgun feeds. But the truth of the matter is that such a law would reach far, far deeper into the homes of many law abiding citizens.

The gun ban that has gone to New Jersey Governor Christie for signature has been described as a “gun magazine restriction“, but it bans numerous common sport and hunting rifles. The ban has no exemption for rifles with fixed magazines, including most common .22 rimfire rifles that are used for sport and small game hunting…and almost never used in crimes. Assembly Bill 2006 bans rifles that meet this definition: (4) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding [15] 10 rounds . . .

The bracket and underline show the existing and proposed laws. There are no exemptions for grandfathering. Anyone who possesses such rifles after the ban goes into effect will be guilty of a felony. This has already happened at least once, when the owner of a .22 Marlin that he won at a police raffle was convicted for owning the firearm. The model owned was either the one pictured below a very similar Marlin. It is an “assault weapon” under current New Jersey law, as it has a magazine capacity of 17.

I still fondly remember my very first one. Unlike the Marlin model described above, it was a Remington bolt action .22 long rifle with a bottom feed six round magazine. (You could load it with seven if you filled the magazine and put one in the chamber, but it had an annoying tendency to occasionally jam after the first shot when you did that.) But the Marlin isn’t all that different and my older brother had one. It’s a great first gun for young hunters seeking small game and a reliable target shooting piece.

But for all the fine qualities described above, this is not a rifle which jumps to mind as the weapon of choice for a madman seeking to go on a mass shooting spree or other act of widespread criminal mayhem. To be clear, here.. this is not to say that the Marlin rimfire .22 long rifle isn’t a dangerous weapon. All guns are, and it needs to be treated with the same level of respect and safe handling practices. But with a small bullet, 30 to 40 grain charge and a muzzle velocity of well under 1,400 feet per second, it’s just not a powerful weapon and is really best for small game and target shooting. (And yes, before any of you experts chime in, people can and do take down deer with a .22, but you’ve got to be a really skilled marksman to do it, whereas a .30-30 or a .30-06 is a lot more forgiving and allows for a body shot.)

But back to the subject at hand, allowing this bill to go through is going to outlaw an entire class of weapons which nobody is blaming for widespread, criminal gun violence in the country. Governor Christie should squash this ill considered piece of legislation at once and send a clear message to his opponents. If passed, this will turn into a gun grab of epic proportions, far outside the ostensible stated purpose of the law.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This all depends on whether or not he is serious about running for president.

NotCoach on May 25, 2014 at 11:05 AM

But wait…

The shooter at UCSB had California-legal 10-round magazines!
According to reports he had 40 (or 41) magazines, for a total of 400 (or 410) rounds.

That didn’t stop him.

oldsquid on May 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Maybe he’ll sign it and switch parties. I wonder how he’d do against Hillary in a fight for the Democrat nomination.

Byron on May 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Between ‘bridgegate’, the budget deficit, rising taxes, and gun control, Christie is finished in the republican party. Good riddance!

Franklin100 on May 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The ban has no exemption for rifles with fixed magazines, including most common .22 rimfire rifles….

What rifles, other than .22′s, have fixed (non-removable) magazines that hold in excess of 15 rounds? I’m no expert, but I don’t know of any.

iurockhead on May 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM

No Constitution-abiding government – federal, state, or otherwise – would presume that a statement like that somehow grants it any legislative authority whatsoever.

flyovermark on May 25, 2014 at 11:19 AM

This one does.

Just remember, they aren’t after your ‘lawful’ guns. They just keep redefining what ‘lawful’ is. Soon all guns will be unlawful.

Patriot Vet on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

If “no law-abiding citizen needs a 15-rd magazine,” then no law-abiding citizen needs a 10-rd magazine.

And if no law-abiding citizen needs a 10-rd magazine, then no law-abiding citizen needs a. 5-rd magazine.

And if no law-abiding citizen needs a 5-rd magazine, then no law abiding citizen needs a single-shot firearm.

And if no law-abiding citizen needs a single-shot firearm, then OHHHHHHHHHH.

I SEE.

greggriffith on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

“There are no exemptions for grandfathering. Anyone who possesses such rifles after the ban goes into effect will be guilty of a felony.”

This is a textbook example of an ex post facto law which is unconstitutional for both federal and state governments. Why are these laws being allowed to stand?

rjh on May 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I suppose nonpartisan gets his/her meat at the store, where no animals are harmed.

greggriffith on May 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM

And the Marlin 60 is something like the Commodore 64 of guns, save that it is still being made. The C-64 was the most popular selling single line of home computers ever, and still is, because it was mass produced, simple and aimed at the home market at a cheap price (and with the exploding power brick, the cost could actually be very expensive in the long run).

It is the first rifle of many youngsters and is still a choice rifle for sticking in the back of the truck or trunk of the car for some sports shooting while camping. From tin cans and paper targets to varmints, it is a very, very popular rifle. I had an old action from a first gen Marlin 60 sold through Great Western Auto, fly apart in my hands and spent a couple of days chasing its parts down in the room. I put it back together and it still worked, and with some missing c clips. A brand-old action was put in after that, but that first action went through hundreds of rounds before it even started to hiccup. It is a forgiving platform.

Any law trying to outlaw any class of firearms as ‘assault weapons’ that includes the Marlin 60 has the problem of it being the Doomsday Rifle: like the clicky IBM keyboard and the C-64, after Doomsday you will still be able to find working examples of it and have enough parts to keep it running as long as the ammo holds out. People find these things sitting in the back of closets, forgotten about for decades, take it out and use it… it is the ‘surprise find’ of many families that thought they didn’t even own any firearms until it turns up in a trunk, in the attic or out in the loft of the garage or sitting with a bunch of junk out in the barn. You want a way to go after the entire population of the US for having ‘assault weapons’? Put the Marlin 60 in that category. Even the complete pacifists might be surprised what is sitting around their third or fourth generation home that has such ‘style’ to it from a prior era. First they will find the Stanley hand planes. Then the Marlin 60. After those come the clicky keyboards and C-64.

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM

And since we are all in the unorganized militia, we all have the right to the guns and magazines that are used by the organized militia.

Patriot Vet on May 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Everyone is a felon now.

Thanks Progressives.

forest on May 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I’m not a “Hunter” but I own plenty of weapons including pistols and rifles. What’s your point?

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Why don’t you move to e UK then and live in unarmed bliss. It sounds like you would be more happy there.

Patriot Vet on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Patriot Vet on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

is that your solution to life…see a problem and run from it?

I want to see America evolve to a better country, to the country it can be

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

iurockhead on May 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Marlin makes a lever-action 30-30 with a tube-fed magazine.

flyovermark on May 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Liberals will continue to push laws like this at the state level. At the federal level, though, thanks to the NSA, they probably have a database of gun owners. Once that is unveiled and the dust settles, expect to see laws requiring insurance and higher taxes for gun owners. Then, of course, raise the rates on insurance (insurance companies belong to the gov’t now), and slap a $10,000/gun tax (which the Roberts court said that Congress can do). Finally, label pro-second amendment people as terrorists. The Republican Party will only be too happy to go along.

higgins1991 on May 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

iurockhead on May 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Well the Henry Rifle of 1860 had a 16 round tubular magazine. Fired 44 Henry.

That good enough?

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM

That was my first rifle as a kid. I went with the 10/22 Ruger for my boys as their first because of the 25/50 round magazines as opposed to the attached mag.

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

You want to ban cars?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

So you’re against car ownership?

nobar on May 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

You want to ban cars?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

the primary purpose of cars are to kill? you must be a sick, twisted individual…or just not too bright

snickers

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Governor Christie should squash this

The Squish squash?

Hmmmm…

Kraken on May 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I like my killing machine, my attempted rapist didn’t.

bazil9 on May 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Unconstitutional. Anybody that accepts this garbage as law is an authoritarian power-grabber.

ExpressoBold on May 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

You shouldn’t be allowed to own one of those killing machines that runs around on rubber.

RickB on May 25, 2014 at 11:38 AM

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM

It wasn’t my first choice, and actually learned on a Ruger Mark series pistol. But when I got my hands on my ex-sister-in-law’s Marlin 60, it became a must have. I don’t need tons of accessories for something like that, and if you need to practice patience and marksmanship then it is a cheap platform for that. You can even qualify with that on the Appleseed program last time I looked.

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Your point doesn’t alter the fact that under the second amendment government has no authority to decide what it will “allow”.

flyovermark on May 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Swords
Knives
Rope
Bare Hands

You want them all? Come and get it…………….

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

the primary purpose of cars are to kill?

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

If one is so inclined, absolutely. It must scare the cr@p out of you to know that people are allowed to run 4000 pounds of metal at high speeds just inches away from innocents.

The fact is that more people are killed by cars than killed by guns. That makes cars more appropriately called “killing machines” than guns. And your car ban is even easier to do since there is no Constitutional right to own a car.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Lame troll. Then get rid of your car, any kitchen knives over 4 inches then you might be able to talk. Fascist creep.

AH_C on May 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

snickers

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

There’s a principle of “prime purpose?” Is this some great moral principle that determines the usefulness vs. danger of an object? Where is it codified, or even described? Or is this just some useful invention?

I think the “prime purpose” of “prime purpose” is to confuse people, to make a pointless point.

Kraken on May 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Such as my fists, Harvard Law grad?

FBI: MORE PEOPLE KILLED WITH FISTS AND HAMMERS THAN WITH RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS

NotCoach on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

My mother bought me a Marlin Model 60 for Christmas when I was 12 years old. It would’ve been prohibited under the original legislation proposed in California last year to ban semi-automatics, but they eventually amended it to exempt rimfire from the ban. Brown ended up vetoing the whole bill anyway. Let’s see if Christie is more liberal than Brown.

Mark1971 on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

ugh, I’m so tired of the peabrained cars = guns argument

society would not function without cars

society would function fine (better) without guns

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

automobiles
wood chippers
cranes
boats
wave riders
toasters

My point is anything used improperly is a “killing machine.” It doesn’t take a smart person to see, and accept, that fundamental fact.

ExpressoBold on May 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Chump.

JAGonzo on May 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

snickers

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I would rather own a firearm then a car since the primary purpose of firearms is to reduce murder, and they are the most effective tool at doing so.

NotCoach on May 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

My boys and I have those rifles so dialed in (scopes) it is amazing. Truly fun to hit dead – on on almost every shot.

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

ugh, I’m so tired of the peabrained cars = guns argument

society would not function without cars

society would function fine (better) without guns

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Because eliminating the most effective tool for reducing murders would do wonders for us all.

NotCoach on May 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Why does the USDA need 30rd sub machine guns?

What’s good for the goose…

trs on May 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Lead pipe! With a low radius 45 or 90 bend screwed on the end it becomes hideously lethal. Or just a couple of feet for conking.

Axes and hatchets, too, gotta love them! Got a nifty new rigger’s axe and I could almost shave with it from the factory.

Chains can be plenty lethal, too, and worn openly.

Then there is the palace of death at home: the bathroom. Tubs. Water. Soap. Instruments of death and hygiene!

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Why does the USDA need 30rd sub machine guns?

What’s good for the goose…

trs on May 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Mad Cow Disease…………………

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I like my killing machine, my attempted rapist didn’t.

bazil9 on May 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM

one death is worth more than 10 rapes

nonpartisan on February 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM

NotCoach on May 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I think nonpartian has already given up soap.

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I want to see America evolve to a better country, to the country it can be

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

That doesn’t mean anything but “If you don’t agree with me I am going to find some way to limit you and control you and restrict you until all your freedoms are worthless and I have perfect peace with the life that I have created for you.”
It’s authoritarian. That’s all it is. Nothing like the lofty goal you parrot like a good little dictator wanna be. You are sick. You need to be locked up in a hospital for the criminally insane until you can be trusted again in a free and open society.

ExpressoBold on May 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

nonintelligent on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Tell that to the US Government, which has for well over a century legally allowed Native Americans to be “recreational killers” on their reservations. And more recently, that same US Government granted them permission to hunt Bald Eagles.

Not terribly bright, are you?

F-

Del Dolemonte on May 25, 2014 at 11:49 AM

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Decided on tech sights, good, old fashioned iron sights. Nothing against scopes, just following my dad’s maxim of everything added on is yet another thing to go wrong. I was born in the wrong century, but then wouldn’t survive in any other with the protoplasm I got.

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

You are an idiot.

gophergirl on May 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM

People routinely miss the point of the 2nd Amendment, so I understand this fallacy, however, because there are some lefties that join us here on occasion, and in case they aren’t just trolling:

EVERY law-abiding citizen needs a 15-round magazine…in fact, some should have squad automatic weapons, and some should possess anti-tank ordinance … and a few folks should have stinger ground-to-airs in the basement.

You see, the 2nd Amendment is not for the protection of The People against The People…it’s for the protection of The People from The Government.
The Citizenry of this Country should possess adequate arms to deter The Government from the kind of oppression that, …well, they are attempting now.
That is what makes protecting the full force and intent of the 2nd Amendment so very, very crucial, now more than ever.

a5minmajor on May 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM

one death is worth more than 10 rapes

nonpartisan on February 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM

NotCoach on May 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Nice find, NC.
Usual POS he is.

bazil9 on May 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

So that means no more knives, axes, hammers, prescription drugs, booze, etc.

Because all of those things have been used to kill people.

I repeat you are an idiot.

gophergirl on May 25, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Now you’re just being retarded.

Go outside and play.

a5minmajor on May 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM

If Christie doesn’t veto this bill, he can kiss 2016 goodbye.

GarandFan on May 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM

The sheer stupidity and short-sightedness of the anti-gun crowd never ceases to amaze me. It’s like the American War for Independence never existed for them, let alone hundreds of years of English history in which our “betters” tried to limit weapons in the hands of the people they oppressed. History teaches us that, aside from a moral people (which we are quickly ceasing to be), the best defense against oppression is a well-armed populace.

Othniel on May 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM

nonintelligent on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Tell it to your Cult Leader, O’bama!

Since President Obama removed the gray wolf from the endangered species list in April 2011 and turned management of these majestic animals over to state wildlife agencies, 2,768 wolves have been senselessly slaughtered by sport hunters and trappers alone in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Minnesota, Wisconsin and now Michigan.

The only “point” you possess is the one atop your head.

SKEET-

Del Dolemonte on May 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM

?!

Talk about drumming up business for themselves!

NavyMustang on May 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

And nonpartisan is just a euphemism for an inane git.

Happy Nomad on May 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Othniel on May 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I don’t think it is short-sighted at all. Stupid? Yes. They want to take guns away from private citizens so they can kill you in the event you begin doing something they don’t like. They are playing long ball, but I am hoping there are enough wise people around to keep it from happening.

JAGonzo on May 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Please provide a list of those.

Make sure that “chop sticks” are on the list.

BobMbx on May 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I agree! Excellent idea. As with everything else a strong leader should show us the way and lead by example. Let’s start by banning the Secret Service from carrying guns. Then we can move on to the FBI, the DEA, the BATF and just work our way down till we get to the bottom, We The People. Now, should we disarm our military too? They carry guns and those guns have absolutely no recreational value whatsoever. They are solely for killing other human beings. How do we go about disarming other countries. I mean do you think China will lay down their guns if only we do it first. How about the drug cartels in Mexico? By the way in case no one else has told you today. You’re an idiot. Am I being bossy, have I offended you? Well yay “Redskins”! so there.

Oldnuke on May 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Please provide a list of those.

Make sure that “chop sticks” are on the list.

BobMbx on May 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM

And skeet guns and signal flares!

Del Dolemonte on May 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Please provide a list of those.

Make sure that “chop sticks” are on the list.

BobMbx on May 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM

It’s all fun and games until someone gets a severe hand cramp……………

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

flyovermark on May 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM

15 rounds of 30-30 would be about 45″ long. Don’t think so.

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Current manufacture Henrys hold about 10 rounds. I don’t think antiques that used ammo that nobody makes anymore count.

iurockhead on May 25, 2014 at 12:06 PM

There’s plenty of precedent for the right of a non-citizen coming into a state to have a gun which does not meet that state’s restrictions on guns. After all, wasn’t the right of a person, validated by the Supreme Court, to bring property from one state into another which had outlawed possession of said property a proximal cause of the Civil War?

unclesmrgol on May 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

And skeet guns and signal flares!

Del Dolemonte on May 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Hey now! Sheeter guns only wound people – nonthinking told us so

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The shooter at UCSB had California-legal 10-round magazines!

That didn’t stop him.

oldsquid on May 25, 2014 at 11:09 AM

The shooter also killed 3 with a knife & hit a couple on bicycles with his BMW. It’ll be interesting to see the “ban knives” and “ban cars” campaign that I’m positive will come next.

That shooter’s family has already done a press conference decrying the proliferation of guns. Surely, they’ll hold another press conference asking for bladed weapons & BMWs to be banned, too. That can’t be far behind.

majorzot on May 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM

?!

Talk about drumming up business for themselves!

NavyMustang on May 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I know a chiropractor who also teaches martial arts. Same principle.

iurockhead on May 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM

ugh, I’m so tired of the peabrained cars = guns argument

society would not function without cars

society would function fine (better) without guns

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

You might want to rethink this…..global warming!!!!

Cindy Munford on May 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM

society would not function without cars

society would function fine (better) without guns

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Would the founding fathers, our revolutionary ancestors have been fine without guns? I seem to recall that they used guns to kick our British overlords out of the country. They did it so that useless twits like you could enjoy the freedoms you don’t seem to be able to comprehend.

Oldnuke on May 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Oldnuke on May 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Need another list of things we don’t need.

Would chopsticks be on that list also?

BobMbx on May 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM

So Obama snuck into Afghanistan last night to have a photo-op with the “troops. ” He really cares about them and the Vets. Guess I don’t need a sarc tag..

sandee on May 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM

the primary purpose of cars are to kill?
nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

If the troll were to demand a ban on cars it would make much more sense, using his own logic. Cars aren’t designed to kill, but they have, and continue to, kill many more thousands than guns ever have. i.e. guns are more safe than cars. Compare the number of deaths due to gun accidents to the everyday mass murder rampages of autos. Priorities! Ban all cars!!

whatcat on May 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM

society would not function without cars

society would function fine (better) without guns

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Societies seemed to have functioned without cars, from the beginning of time until the car was invented.

Please explain your assessment.

BobMbx on May 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM

our founding fathers were racist slaveowners and rapists…they were not perfect by any means. Howard Zinn told me so.

nonintelligent on May 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Fixed.

Del Dolemonte on May 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM

And fought for your right to say that. You don’t deserve it but you have it anyway.

VegasRick on May 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Ruger 1022 is the way to go. Conversions can be made quite easily that make a 25 round clip or a 100 round drum go quick.

wolly4321 on May 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM

ajacksonian on May 25, 2014 at 11:39 AM

..hope the nonpartisan pantload doesn’t see this but the Ruger MK II, III, etc. were/are a fave of Mafia hit men. Still in all, I love mine; they’re fun pieces, ain’t they? AND they have 10-round mags.

Other guns used by hitmen or assassins:
- .22 LR Ruger MKII(victims can be easily silenced), .38 Snub Nosed and .44 Caliber revolvers(doesn’t eject cartridges and good damage rate),Mossberg 500(very good shotgun and if sawed off its easy to hide),sawed off double barrel shotgun(easy to hide and one infamous mobster used to carry it with him a lot,Chicago mobster Sam Golfbag Hunt)

The War Planner on May 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Interesting observation from John Hinderaker at Power Line, re. the Santa Barbara attacks:

News reports also indicate that Rodger had “34 loaded 10-round magazines for the Sig Sauers and seven 10-round magazines for the Glock.” This illustrates the stupidity of liberals’ obsession with magazine size. A shooter can switch out a loaded magazine for an empty one in approximately one second. Restrictions on magazine size are futile and silly.

Del Dolemonte on May 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Why don’t we ban people who don’t work? How do they make society better?

Or what about people who disagree with everything the government does? That just leads to anarchy.

We could also get rid of television. Too much t.v. is bad for you.

Fatty foods? That stuff can’t be good.

I have an idea. Why don’t we get a group of people together and have them analyze our culture and tell us what needs to be banned and what is acceptable. We could call them the Bureau on Living Standards. See, being a soulless, mindless, drone is so much easier than actually having to live one’s life.

JAGonzo on May 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Then how does one defend oneself against criminals who aren’t law abiding?

darwin on May 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM

like this only mine is stainless steel with a laser stock.

wolly4321 on May 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM

^^^ That right there is some deep brainwashing that’s obviously occurred over a long time.

darwin on May 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM

ugh, I’m so tired of the peabrained cars = guns argument

society would not function without cars

society would function fine (better) without guns

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

You know that more people are killed by hammers than are killed by guns, right? Well, would society function fine without hammers?

Happy Nomad on May 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Hunters are just a euphimisim for ‘recreational killers’

ALL guns should be banned

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Come take them, you piece of shit.

Midas on May 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Come take them, you piece of shit.

Midas on May 25, 2014 at 12:30 PM

is that a thread?

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

A few other things no law abiding citizen needs:

* locks on your doors
* a spouse
* a subsistence level amount of food
* a one room efficiency apartment
* more than one eye, ear or kidney
* more than 5 or so teeth
* more than two changes of clothing (wash one, wear the other)
* more than one pair of shoes

…but they sure are nice to have.

Fenris on May 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

society would function fine (better) without guns

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Sure, if you either jail or liquidate anyone who might have the slightest inclination to commit violence and dispense with the left and Islam whose sole intent is to remake the world and us in their image.

Are you saying we should get rid of people who might have the slightest impulse to commit crime and liberals and Muslims?

darwin on May 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Gah!! B.L.S. is already taken.

I know, we can call them the Department on Indecent Cultural Knowledge Studies.

JAGonzo on May 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM

is that a thread?

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

How do people defend themselves against violent criminals who don’t care how many gun laws are passed?

darwin on May 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

That seems more like a challenge.

JAGonzo on May 25, 2014 at 12:35 PM

like this only mine is stainless steel with a laser stock.

wolly4321 on May 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Sweet. I have Marlin 795 I’d love to do that with, lol.

Midas on May 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM

is that a thread?

nonpartisan on May 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

To be clear, you’re the one threatening.

darwin on May 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Just a reminder for some of our newer posters that don’t realize the kind of monster intellect we are dealing with re the most precious “nonpartisan”:

Your pResident claims he shoots skeet “all the time”.

Is that killing too?

Del Dolemonte on April 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

OUR president isn’t perfect.

he still has much evolution to undergo.

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

You never answered my original question-when Dear Leader goes skeet shooting, is he killing too? And does the skeet feel any pain when he shoots it?

Del Dolemonte on April 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Del Dolemonte on April 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

from my understanding, a skeet gun would lack killing power as its not built to kill

nonpartisan on April 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

slickwillie2001 on May 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM

If you have twoyou can make this

Imagine using the guts of a cordless driver to spin that sucker with the press of a button.

wolly4321 on May 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM