Only in NY – School hands 66 lb girl note saying she’s fat

posted at 5:31 pm on May 24, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Tales from the Nanny State continue to the amazement of nobody, I’m sure. In a story coming from (where else…) New York City, the wise school officials, ever concerned about the health and future of their students, decided to check out what each of the kids weighs, matching the results against some Body Mass Index chart. Upon noting that many of the children failed to pass muster, they decided to inform the parents… by handing the kids notes to take home. What could possibly go wrong?

A New York City mom was fit to be tied Wednesday after her 4-foot-1, 66-pound daughter came home from school with a note calling her fat.

Eight-year-old Gwendolyn Williams is anything but fat, but her mom worries that the school’s note, citing her body mass index, has left her daughter confused about her body.

“My daughter is thin; she knows she doesn’t have a weight problem, but that night, I caught her grabbing the skin near her waist, and she asked me, ‘is this what they were talking about?”‘ Laura Bruiji Williams, the girl’s mom, told FoxNews.com. “It was awful to see.”

Gwendolyn, along with her classmates, were handed a “Fitnessgram” sealed with a sticker at her public school in Brooklyn. The class was told not to open the letters, issued by the New York City Department of Education, but like most of her friends, she couldn’t resist and read it.

Who could have possibly predicted that a group of curious pre-teens, having been handed mysterious notes for their parents carrying instructions not to open them, would go ahead and open them anyway? Probably anyone with any experience whatsoever with children and one half the common sense that God gave a goat. But not in this school!

But perhaps more disturbing is the idea that an eight year old who weighs in at 66 pounds was somehow off the bell curve on the fat end. Are they just trying to encourage bulimia in the next generation? Does this girl really look fat to you?

ThisGirl

Welcome to New York. And with that greeting out of the way, flee as you value your lives. This place is a lost cause.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Cow!

lorien1973 on May 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM

This is why the children of America are losing ground educationally. Teach reading, writing and arithmetic and mind your own damn business.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM

She’s thinner than one of Hillary’s legs.

fogw on May 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

“Only in NY” is a joke.

Haha, I get it, it’s funny because it’s just not true.

hit and run on May 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM

fogw on May 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Okay, that’s funny.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

The Bureaucracy strikes again!

DFCtomm on May 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM

No shit…

Please flee somewhere else..Fl has met it’s NY quota.

Personally, can’t stand NY’s.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Amen!

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Technocrats, geniuses by their own definition, can only write the manuals. It’s up to lesser people to follow them. So what we necessarily wind up with is a thick book of unmitigated wisdom (mailed directly from the gods) being waved around by people who are paid — explicitly — not to think for themselves.

^ This is the very best we could possibly do even if everything technocrats believe about the world were true.

Since the technocrats writing the manuals are actually slightly stupider than the people waving them around — at least the the people waving them around aren’t stupid enough to think of themselves as geniuses — I agree that you should flee. :)

I’ll make you a sandwich and leave the light on. I can take a few refugees. –If you need a room, bring your own cardboard.

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM

No shit…

Please flee somewhere else..Fl has met it’s NY quota.

Personally, can’t stand NY’s.

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM

i might have a little room

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM

i might have a little room

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Yeah..for your sugar. ;)

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I wonder what the weight to height ratio is on the teacher who sent this note home with this rather healthy, well porportioned, not over weight child… Anyone want to bet she’s a cow?

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Insane!..this young lady is very slender.

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Does this girl really look fat to you?

but even if she does,
leave her TF alone !
Will these same union thugs have the guts to say the same thing to a 100 lb black or latino 9 yr old ?

burrata on May 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

The Zombie Field Guide

Z-Type: Donald Eugene Miller Jr.

^ Memory lane.

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Why are we coddling this porker?

NotCoach on May 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Yeah..for your sugar. ;)

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

i’m always thinking of others

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM

aint that the truth

problem is that a great many teachers aren’t all that

its a lot easier spouting the party line

Doyle Hargrave on May 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:53 PM

She’s a little tiny thing.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Do they teach the kids how to throw up now too?

pedestrian on May 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:51 PM

i’m always thinking of others

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM

(;

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM

So I’m guessing Hussein won’t be calling this little girl ,
like he called that slut Fluke ?

burrata on May 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Nanny state run amok.

Not surprising, though, for NYC.

oakland on May 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM

What she should do is pack on 200 more pounds so she can declare herself part of a protected class.

NotCoach on May 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM

bingo to that

problem is a great many of the teachers aren’t that good and find it easier repeating the party line

Doyle Hargrave on May 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 5:53 PM

She’s a little tiny thing.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I know!

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM

This is why we can’t have nice things, including well-mannered, well-adjusted children.

Any idea yet whether the welfare children were called *ahem!* obese or outcries that this whole “Fitnessgram” thing is (dare I say it?) racist?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I Must say, the idea that normal humans must abandon NY to its own filth used to strike me as defeatist.
Now? Common sense.

When the housing market improves, I suspect a lot of human shuffling will occur, but since it’ll be massive outflow, who will pay the taxes?

Tard on May 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM

i’m always thinking of others

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I’m not going to ask, Axe, what you think of others ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Left a long time ago, will not return until things change. Shame, because the Hudson Valley is a beautiful place, except for the whole allergy thing.

rbj on May 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Do they teach the kids how to throw up now too?

pedestrian on May 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM

That was not hilarious and I did not laugh out loud.

It was also not brilliantly, obliquely pointing-out the morbidly obese elephant in the room.

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 6:05 PM

And from the original NY Post article:

But for Gwendolyn, the Fitnessgrams are just dumb.

“I know that I’m not overweight, so why should I believe the New York Department of Education?” she said.

At least she’s getting an education.

rbj on May 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Look how thin her arms are. It’s always easier to criticise than to teach. They make girls feel bad about themselves and then hold classes to teach self-esteem. Just shows that parents need to be vigilant. Ask your kids constantly what they are learning in school. If they look upset find out why. There may be a teacher os another student who is bullying them. Teach them to stick up for themseves and others.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Unfortunately, that report is taken straight from WebMD.

You can plug in her birthday in 2005, height 4’1″ and her weight of 66 and get the same result.

So apparently WebMD gives adults cancer and kids eating disorders.

Health can only be determined by objective measures, not subjective ones. Percentile is a relationship between the whole population. How your health is in relation to the whole population has zero to do with your personal health. If everyone is sick but you aren’t, that doesn’t mean there is something wrong with you.

kalvinb on May 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM

At 4″1′ and 66 pounds her BMI is 19.3, on the low end of normal.(NIH)

The NY school system must be using Common Core math to calculate BMI.

motionview on May 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Doyle Hargrave on May 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM

You know, that’s a really good point. Fair or not, what you see in the news today does not cast a great light on teachers. I wonder if the media has thought this through. Normally they like to lump teachers in with first responders and deserving of any salary and perk that get be given.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM

motionview on May 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM

That’s funny.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM

rbj on May 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Same here, but from the Finger Lakes area, with no intentions of returning. Back during the early 90′s, I drove up I-87 and marveled at the beauty of the Hudson Valley.

Bigfoot on May 24, 2014 at 6:22 PM

For fun I went to the Mayo Clinic BMI Calculator and out in her info. Her BMI comes to 19.3

Per Mayo, the “ideal BMI” for a girl her age is from 13.5 to 18.3. This translates to her needing to weigh from 46 to 62 lbs.

FORTY SIX LBS? That girl looks totally normal. If she weighed 20 lbs less like Mayo says is normal then Child Protective Services would incarcerate her parents for starving her.

Am so glad I’m not a parent these days.

Smegley on May 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM

She’s thinner than one of Hillary’s legs.

fogw on May 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Okay, that’s funny.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

At 4″1′ and 66 pounds her BMI is 19.3, on the low end of normal.(NIH)

The NY school system must be using Common Core math to calculate BMI.

motionview on May 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM

That’s funny.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Dittos, and dittos.

listens2glenn on May 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM

What continues to amaze me is the fact that there are still so many kids in public schools.

Are parents still not paying attention or are they just to lazy and stupid to save their own children…
And no sob stories about how you can’t all home school or private is too expensive! Save it for your brain dead offspring living in the basement on paxil in 10 years!

How much more filth and insanity is enough to wake people up?

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Am so glad I’m not a parent these days.

Smegley on May 24, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I keep hearing this same line from people my age (55 yrs), but we shouldn’t be “glad” that “we’re not parents today” as much as we should be MAD that we have these persons in high positions of civil authority, over our daily walk of life.

listens2glenn on May 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Information Entered

Age: 8 years 1 month Sex: Girl
Birth Date: March 06, 2006 Height: 4 feet 2 inch(es)
Date of Measurement: April 20, 2014 Weight: 66 pounds
Results
Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 18.6 , placing the BMI-for-age at the 86th percentile for girls aged 8 years 1 month. This child is overweight.

From the CDC’s online calculator. Would love to see Moochele’s number!

{FYI- 65 lbs is a healthy weight, according to the CDC}

socalcon on May 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Eh, I see both sides of this.

On the one hand, that girl is obviously not fat.

On the other hand, many (verging on most) kids are getting fat and it’s reasonable for the schools to inform parents that their fat kids are fat, and it defeats the purpose if you let “common sense” and the eyeball test determine which parents need to be confronted with their kids’ fatness, since those parents commons sense and eyeball tests obviously haven’t worked to this point.

So what standards should be used? Well, not New York’s, obviously.

HitNRun on May 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetics Association) claims to use evidence-based guidelines, but the Body Mass Index – BMI – is anything but scientific. In fact, it is a second degree approximation of a third degree function which makes it inaccurate at short or tall statures. It should not be used for children or basketball players.

topdog on May 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

socalcon on May 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Wait, one pound is the difference between overweight and healthy?

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM

topdog on May 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Or me, since my thighs have a BMI the rest of me can’t support.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM

test

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Or me, since my thighs have a BMI the rest of me can’t support.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM

lol!

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM

HitNRun on May 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

That begs the question, will one of these letters change any parents habits of feeding their kids?

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM

it’s reasonable for the schools to inform parents that their fat kids are fat

HitNRun on May 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Oh, to hell with that.

Schools are schools. Y’know, educational centers. They’re not diet centers. They are intended to instill in our youth the wisdom and knowledge necessary for their survival and well-being, hopefully ensuring society’s survival and well-being in the process.

When they start getting that right, maybe they can think about branching out into Weight Watchers. But given this school’s judgement on what is obviously a pretty fit child, I’m not gonna hold my breath…

JohnGalt23 on May 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I smell lawsuit!

rightside on May 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM

How much more filth and insanity is enough to wake people up??

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Paul Ehrlich better have a chat with these New York folks.

darwin on May 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Are parents still not paying attention or are they just to lazy and stu-pid to save their own children…
And no sob stories about how you can’t all home school or private is too expensive! Save it for your brain dead offspring living in the basement on pa-xil in 10 years!

How much more filth and insanity is enough to wake people up?

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Anyone else getting bumped for words like “stupid” or “Paxil”?
Really HA???

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM

JohnGalt23 on May 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Look out, we agree on something.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM

So, the word stu-pid and pa-xil trigger the editor at HA. Seriously? lol

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I imagine it is a matter of finances. Remember, no matter what Obama says, they rate of unemployment is quite high and people are making due with less.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

So for fun I put in my info at Mayo. 5’9″, 155 lbs … am normal in BMI but actually near the upper end of normal (about 12 lbs shy of obese per MAYO … I’d say my 30″ waist, and size S or XS shirts say otherwise, but whatever).

At 5’9″ it said my normal BMI can be as low as 18.5, which comes to about 125 lbs at the low end. So I looked up Michael Jackson’s stats at the time of his death … his skeletal body was also 5’9″, and he weighed 136 lbs, BMI 20.1, so even Jacko wasn’t scrawny enough for those people.

To be at 18.5 as an adult male, you’d have to be anorexic in a very bad way. I’d say some of those stats need to be revised to be realistic.

Smegley on May 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

An insulting note to an insecure, preteen girl from authority figures she’s required by law to interact with 5 days a week sounds a lot like bullying to me.

EFF these nanny state fascists.

locomotivebreath1901 on May 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM

topdog on May 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM

The personal trainers at my old gym would all be overweight based on their BMI, and they work out all the time.

ladyingray on May 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Opps, I gave you a sob story about finances. I’ll mention something else though. I love the idea of home schooling now but when I think back to helping my kids with homework, I was not the most patient of moms. I think I took their lack of understanding on any given assignment as a direct reflection of my own intelligence. Now there are computer programs and many home schooling parents develop co-ops to help their kids in areas they are less comfortable with. I hope it is the wave of the future.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Who is fat beyond belief and continuing to grow fatter are the burrOcrats and their OCrat enablers.

drfredc on May 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM

So, the word stu-pid and pa-xil trigger the editor at HA. Seriously? lol

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM

The names of drugs.

Axe on May 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM

fogw on May 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I laughed so hard I had to stop after that one!!

dddave on May 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

The prevailing attitude is that there is no such thing as too thin. I am 5’8′ and weigh 105 lbs. I’ve been thin all my life. My mother was thin all her life. When she was a girl they put her in a special class for underweight kids. Nobody takes me seriously when I say I need to gain weight. They just laugh and tell me I’m lucky.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

There things that can be cut out of ones life to make it possible. My family did it. Big things. Sacrifices that apparently no one wants to make. Getting back to basics is going to be forced on us any day now but can still be a priority if kids are still a priority.

Downsizing is possible in every way. But like I said, kids don’t seem to be a priority as they were many years ago.

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM

So, the word stu-pid and pa-xil trigger the editor at HA. Seriously? lol

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Pharmaceutical names don’t go through the filter- for spamming reasons.

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I hope it is the wave of the future.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM

The wave of the future is the internet. Online schooling is growing and that is what will break the grip of the unions. Parents can plug their kids into that and just oversee. There are smart people online who can help kids with homework.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Yes, lots of online curriculum as well as home school groups. There are ways.

katy on May 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Oh yeah, I found that out recently when I suggested with we give teachers something to calm their nerves (specific drug) rather than the kids.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

We’ve all heard of The Brady Bunch. Now, meet “The Brainy Bunch.” That’s right, brainy, as in some of the smartest kids ever.

Kip and Mona Lisa Harding have 10 children, and get this—seven of them were in college by the age of 12. The rest of them are on target to do the same.

Daughter Katrina told INSIDE EDITION, “I’m Katrina and I’m a freshman at Boston University. I’m 11 years old and I’m majoring in legal studies.

Seth said, “I’m Seth. I’m 13 and I’m a sophomore at Huntington College studying history.”

Keith told INSIDE EDITION, “I’m Keith. I’m 18 and I completed a Master’s degree in computer science last year when I was 17.”

Rosanna is just 24, but she’s been an architect for, can you believe this—six years! She revealed, “I am the youngest member of the American Institute of Architects, registered in New York state, and California.”

And at age 23, Serena is also a stand-out, saying, “I am 23 years old and one of the youngest physicians in the United States.”

The parents are always asked how they produced such high-achievers. For one thing, everyone has been home-schooled, with the lessons tailored to each child’s strengths and interests.

Kip said, “He’s a musician. If I tried to make him a doctor, I think that would be a problem. And if I tried to make her something that she doesn’t want to be, an architect, it probably wouldn’t work.”

For you all the union thug “teachers”,
this is how it’s done !

burrata on May 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

burrata on May 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

THAT’S what I’m talking about!

katy on May 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Welcome to New York.

Born and raised. Been there.

DONE THAT!

Let me add, if you’re a liberal, STAY THERE. We don’t need you polluting the few places that remain unspoiled and free of your progtardian ideology. STAY IN PLACE. Thank you.

xNavigator on May 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM

We put our daughter in a private school after a particularly unproductive year in public school. Later that year the base The Husband worked on was put on BRAC, so we had to take her out. She was still in advanced classes but all the text books and the reading assignment were the ones she had had the previous year in the private school. It was weird. When we moved to Florida, we “bought” the school. One of the Christian schools down here is even giving a computer based aptitude test for entrance, like a lot of the historically academically rigorous private school.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM

burrata on May 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I saw these people on tv. I have a problem with this. Are all these kids really that smart or are they being unmercifully pushed. And what if one if them isn’t very smart. What if one doesn’t want to be a PHD but wants to fix air conditioners. It’s my opinion these people are trying to live vicariously through their kids. Get off their backs and let them be kids.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

This would all be funny if it wasn’t dangerous.

J.B. Say on May 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

LOL. Their kids are primed for a successful life. Your kid flipping burgers? Jealous much?

We need MORE families that produce children like that, not less. We have enough 20+ year-olds who are still children and dependent.

xNavigator on May 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I imagine when they are adults they can make that call. I do hope the family is well rounded with the kids.

Cindy Munford on May 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

BMI is a farce.
(1) It is defined as mass/(height^2). The problem is that mass is dependent on volume not surface area. If we double a person’s dimensions, his mass will go up by a factor of 2^3=8. But the height^2 will only be a factor of 4. This means that when a person gets taller, his BMI will increase even though he maintains the same fat content. So taller people for their age or sex will get higher BMI.
(2) BMI assumes constant density. But muscle is much more dense than fat. So a low fat/high muscle person will have a higher BMI. These two problems explain why nearly all Pro athletes are overweight or obese according to BMI.
(3) Finally, BMI was never meant to apply to a single person. It is a statistical tool for comparing populations. B/c people are all different, someone can be healthy while being statistically abnormal.

Kalixiri on May 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

For them to do what they are supposed to have done they would have to have spent ALL their time studying.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM

xNavigator on May 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I agree. As I see it, the Hardings are probably as close to perfect as parents can get.

non-nonpartisan on May 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Fatso

Dom DeLuise…not a bad flick.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM

non-nonpartisan on May 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM

There’s a happy medium somewhere between abusive parents and adult kids living in the basement. I didn’t have children but I was a teacher. I had kids whose parents were on them all the time and they were nervous and afraid to make a mistake or say the wrong thing. There were other kids who were hard to control because their parents paid no attention to them. As I said, happy medium.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Who should get to decide what their “happy medium” is? You? You are making judgemental statements about the family without any facts at hand to back them up. I won’t be trusting someone like you on this issue.

I think it’s most likely the parents are smart enough to let the kids go at their own paces without pressuring them, which is why they all are doing so well.

non-nonpartisan on May 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM

More disturbing still is the idea that the local socialist incubator is sending home “Fitnessgrams.” What’s next, reporting when the child expresses ideas that don’t support amnesty for illegals, the legitimacy of same sex marriage, and a girl’s right to abort a child up to the point they actually deliver???

NY is one step away from issuing their lab rats red bandanas and enrolling them in mandatory state-run programs that will teach them how to best denounce friends and neighbors for oversized drinks, trans fats, and vaping.

Happy Nomad on May 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM

There’s a happy medium somewhere

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

And you’ve missed it, by the proverbial mile. In a culture where far too many kids don’t even finish high school, and even many who do can’t read or do basic math, to even consider complaining about kids who end up as successful as these kids, as early as these kids, is ridiculous on its face.

Frankly, I think you’re an example of ‘the frog in the warming kettle’ in that you reveal how low our culture’s expectations have become for kids, and how soft and touchy-feely we’ve become. In America today, adulthood, and adult responsibility and behavior, don’t even seem to be expectations until you’re in your 30s. Kids in their 20s are at Club Med colleges, partying and living a lifestyle they may never be able to afford again in their lives. Our society coddles kids and gets out what we demand…little to nothing.

Kids are not brittle reeds who will break at high expectations. Setting a high bar, in an environment (like a healthy family! They exist!) where they are supported and loved, encourages them to achieve.

Happy medium? It doesn’t have to be Ph.Ds or MBAs, but it should be closer to these kids than to the vast majority of underperforming incorrigibles we produce as a society; the kind who can’t stand being confronted by a thought/idea that challenges their received wisdom (because at 20, you are wise indeed!), so they shut it down and out.

xNavigator on May 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I smell lawsuit!

rightside on May 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I sure hope so. These morons need to be forced to lawyer up until they’re on welfare.

Short of that, their names, phone numbers, and/or facebook pages need to be leaked to the general public so they may receive the public ridicule they so richly deserve.

Time to bring back the stocks.

CurtZHP on May 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM

My understanding is BMI shouldn’t be used to determine the level of “fatness” in an individual as the formula was developed to get a quick and easy way to measure the degree of obesity in the general population.
A 6 foot, 250lb. man will be obese, but if he were an N.F.L. lineman who is 6’3″ and weighed 280 lbs., he might be solid muscle with only 2 % body fat. (This was exactly the case with a buddy of my son. The kid was a college baseball player on a strict training regimine and built like a sh#t brickhouse. Yet his BMI labeled him as obese.)
The little sweetheart in this story is one of the many victims being sold a mathematical bill of goods.

lynncgb on May 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

This is even more bizarre when you see the comical bulk of most of the Department’s virtually all female management team. Physician heal thyself-you blimps. Incredible

Mason on May 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Yet his BMI labeled him as obese.)

lynncgb on May 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

True story…
I have worked in health insurance sales for years-
I had a body builder apply for a private policy and he was turned down due to BMI by the underwriters.
I was new to the field at the time. I argued with them but lost.
Was crazy!

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM

xNavigator on May 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Nonsense. Children these days are precious snowflakes that need to be protected from all the bumps and bruises in life. They need to be as pampered, coddled, and treated as if they were one of the filthy Obama brats. They need to enter the adult world with an overwhelming sense of entitlement about just how special they are and how entry-level jobs are beneath their time, talent, and ambitions.

Happy Nomad on May 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM

The problem with calculating BMI simply off height and weight at a specific age is that it doesn’t take into account muscle mass and bone density. The most accurate method is water emersion where they calculate the specific gravity of an individual by emerging them In water (in a pool) and measuring the displacement of water. In simple terms, if a 66 lb girl displaces the same amount of water than a 55 lb girl of the same height, the 66 lb girl has a higher specific gravity. Since muscle and bone weigh more than fat, the 66 lb girl will actually have a lower BMI than the 55 lb girl. Using height/weight charts almost always give an inaccurate BMI.

*Disclaimer – my first career was in the health club industry where we did water emersion BMI as a routine measurement of our clients. The calculated BMI by water emersion was almost alway less than that off the height/weight chart.

GAlpha10 on May 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM

lynncgb on May 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

One of my HS teammates was about 5’7″ and about 190 lbs. The guy was all muscle and the best lineman our football team had.

BMI is stupid. It’s one chart for men and women even. Anything that vaguely tailored barely qualifies as any sort of guideline.

On top of it, completely pointless to bother with such stupidity on an 8 year old girl. Obviously the girl in this case isn’t even slightly heavy, but even if she were, baby fat happens. Everybody knows outright chunkers in elementary school that shoot up and lose weight with puberty. That’s not to say unhealthy habits should be completely ignored by family, but that it doesn’t mean a whole lot at that age.

And unhealthy habits in anybody should be completely ignored by government. Government needs find something else to worry about, maybe like figuring out why nobody among our “leadership” were at all aware that veterans were receiving remotely proper medical treatment at their hospitals.

Gingotts on May 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM

lynncgb on May 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I think you’re mixing up two related things.

BMI is not the same thing as the BMI indexes that combine height/weight for a quick and dirty formula. The accurate measure of BMI would only come from a more proven method like the float test.

Happy Nomad on May 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM

bazil9 on May 24, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I can certainly believe that. BMI lies all the time.
We need a new “fat” test!

lynncgb on May 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Happy Nomad on May 24, 2014 at 8:02 PM

The local school district does a good job of that. Over the objections of its teachers, it has instituted a ‘floor’ of 60% as a grade for each quarter. You CANNOT give a student below 60% for a quarter. The kid can sleep in a puddle of drool at his desk, turn in nothing all quarter, and he/she will receive a 60%. No lower.

Imagine how that will work out for them in the real world. “But boss…my school gave me 60% for doing nothing. I figured you’d do the same on the job and pay me 60% of my salary for nothing on my part!”

lol…set up for success!

xNavigator on May 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I think you’re mixing up two related things.

Happy Nomad on May 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM

That could be…I just know the calculation has proven to be faulty for many individuals.

lynncgb on May 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I sincerely wish it were “only in New York” that some level of government has committed some dastardly act. Unfortunately public sector snafus of this sort are ubiquitous. Inviting government into your life is like inviting the denizens of a public bus station–winos, pickpockets, rapists, muggers, hustlers, and assorted schizos and other crazies–into your living room. In fact is is EVEN WORSE than that!!!

MaiDee on May 24, 2014 at 8:25 PM

And Yale wanted to suspend a student for being too thin.
I’m confused.

BTW Chancellor Farina and Comrade Mayor Bill, how much do you weigh?

diogenes on May 24, 2014 at 8:25 PM