Video: The obligatory “kid blows America’s mind with Michael Jackson impersonation” clip

posted at 6:41 pm on May 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, this has already passed the viral and mega-viral stages and reached the elusive “watch it now because it’s going to come up during small talk this weekend, I guarantee you” phase. How is it, you’re wondering, that this kid took such an interest in a performance that happened a good 15 years before he was born? Simple: He’s a YouTube success story in more ways than one.

Remarkably, the 17-year-old says he’s never had any formal training.

Instead he started practising Jacko moves about 10 years ago when he became hooked on YouTube clips of the late, great performer.

“It started in 2001, at a very young age, when Michael reunited with his brothers. Someone in my house was flipping through the channels, (and) the way he moves really caught my eye,” starcasm.net quotes [Brett] Nichols as saying.

“Over the years, through YouTube, I spent months just watching it again and again … I studied each part (and) taught myself.”

The moonwalk in particular is — mwah — magnifique, enough so to have caught the attention of Jackson’s estate. Although, as a former high-school nerd who struggled with typical nerdish social anxiety, I’m more impressed by the sheer balls this kid showed in going full Jacko before hundreds of his peers than by the moves themselves. Next stop: Cashing in? A “Dream a Little Dream” reboot, maybe? Sky’s the limit.

Comments

What did he do? Molest an 8 year old on video?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM

This Kid tried hard to dance like Michael Jackson.
Michael Jackson tried hard to be as white at that kid.

portlandon on May 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Gay.

And obsessive-compulsive beyond belief.

WhatSlushfund on May 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I hope it’s “sky’s the limit” in this venue for him… he’ll be better off than his peers when they graduate. He won’t have to live with his parents until he’ s 26 (or older).

31giddyup on May 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The spats were a nice touch. His footwork is amazing.

portlandon on May 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM

What did he do? Molest an 8 year old on video?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Lighten up, the kid was good…

sandee on May 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM

What no Trigger Warning? You’ll be hearing from Macaulay Caulkin’s lawyers..

trubble on May 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM

This Kid tried hard to dance like Michael Jackson.
Michael Jackson tried hard to be as white at that kid.

portlandon on May 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Beat me to it!!

Bitter Clinger on May 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM

If that doesn’t get him laid by a little boy…then nothing will!

Obligatory joke out of the way, seriously that took guts and was dang good.

nextgen_repub on May 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM

The moonwalk is the best. I used to do it way back when. But not that good.

dforston on May 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Most impressive…

JohnGalt23 on May 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM

When I saw the title to this thread I was already to slam everyone involved… I was even ready to ridicule the kid’s puppy and his grandma.

But, I have to admit, he was pretty good at what he set out to do. So, kudos for that.

Warner Todd Huston on May 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM

OT- Fed judge put conyers back on the primary ballot.

Anyone surprised?

wolly4321 on May 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM

As a child of the 80s I thought he was really good!

I am also impressed by this generation’s appreciation for the music of the 80s! My 11 yr. old is an 80s music junky!

JAM on May 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Let’s all celebrate a crotch-grabbing, gender-bending, child-molesting guy who hated black skin.
Because he’s talented…?
Hitler was a dynamic speaker.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

The kid did a great job. The moonwalk was perfect. Michael would be proud.

coolrepublica on May 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Kid was good.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Dollayo on May 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Because he’s talented…?
Hitler was a dynamic speaker.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM

BTW, this is not a criticism of the kid–I haven’t seen the video.

It’s for a culture that points an impressionable youngster toward such a creepy role model.

itsnotaboutme on May 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM

And I was next up after him. I put my accordion back in the case and left the room.

Walter L. Newton on May 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Give me a damn break. This is what passes for accomplishment in the high school mind today?

Perpetual adolescence. Thank you, Michael Jackson. Madonna will be right behind you. Don’t wait up.

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

A YouTube video of some kid dancing to a Michael Jackson song. What a rarity!

whatcat on May 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

It was a talent show. gee whiz.

Murphy9 on May 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Kid has talent. But he should try Fred Astaire next.

Fred didn’t rape little boys, did he?

I’m part injun, so my version of dancing usually involves a bonfire and booze. Shooting guns in the air, etc.

I just never got in to the MJ fad. Disco,, or anything everyone else told me I was supposed to like.

wolly4321 on May 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Walter L. Newton on May 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

That was you!

portlandon on May 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM

OT- Fed judge put conyers back on the primary ballot.

Anyone surprised?

wolly4321 on May 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Not at all. 100% predicted, and expected.

Midas on May 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Ugh. I hate anything to do with that pedophile.

Blake on May 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM

It was a talent show. gee whiz.

Murphy9 on May 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Actually, it’s a bit more than that.

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM

All that hard work to copy MJ’s dance moves paid off. Well done, young sir!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 23, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Very enjoyable unlike some of the sadly negative comments above.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM

YouTube is a better venue for some of you. Take your crappy comments there.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM

That was fantastic!!! He’s awesome.

Bee on May 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Dollayo

This goes to show that reading comprehension isn’t one of your strengths.

xblade on May 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM

YouTube is a better venue for some of you. Take your crappy comments there.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 7:55 PM

My irony meter just got pegged.

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM

It’s called The Pied Piper Effect.

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Very clever. I wrote about “comments” not video views.

Like I said, take the crappy comments to YouTube.

Malcontents do love that place.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM

And we get you don’t like Jacko. I guess most of us here are commenting on the kid’s moves not on Michael Jackson.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Cute Thriller scene from Thirty Going on Thirteen.

There’s a so-so moonwalk at 3:43, but there’s no crotch grabbing.

Jennifer Garner is a flaming liberal, but ya gotta admit that she’s yummy. Sure, I can do without the whiny Mark Garofalo. But it’s a fun scene.

BuckeyeSam on May 23, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Ummm…really?
Sorry, it must be me.

Mimzey on May 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Oh, he’s good.

Philly on May 23, 2014 at 10:40 PM

good for him, it takes a lot of guts to get up there and do something like that…bravo! i enjoyed it, thanks for posting something fun, a nice break from all the muck in the news.

scalleywag on May 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I will assume that you have no children. Or if you do, you don’t give a damn about how they turn out.

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Applause! Applause!

lynncgb on May 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM

You assume wrong.

One kid. Works for UK Embassy in Tokyo.

University of London graduate.

Dear ED,

Apparently was not much of a palate cleanser for some today.
But I truly enjoyed the video. Will forward to my son.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Dear Allah, that is.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM

I usually don’t enjoy trolling folks, but ole Cleo, you are getting a good trolling and hosing from me today.

Don’t awaken the sleeping giant.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Don’t awaken the sleeping giant.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 11:13 PM

?

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM

One kid. Works for UK Embassy in Tokyo.

University of London graduate.

Sherman1864 on May 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM

And did he spend hours watching Youtube perfecting dance moves when he was going to High School?

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM

And did he spend hours MONTHS watching Youtube perfecting dance moves when he was going to High School?

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Cleombrotus on May 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I am proud to say I have never watched this video, and I never will.

I have seen Michael Jackson dance. He was a great dancer. I don’t need to watch this kid with too much time on his hands mimic him.

Sterling Holobyte on May 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Good grief.

lynncgb on May 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Sterling Holobyte on May 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Good for you.

I also have seen Michael dance.

On TV.

Cleo, my son spent hours doing many things, but I doubt he just stares at HA all day waiting to get hosed rhetorically.

This is becoming quite entertaining.

Do tell!

Sherman1864 on May 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Sherman1864 on May 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Well, I’ll give you that one. HA can be a serious waste of valuable time, one which I need to discipline myself out of.

And we get you don’t like Jacko.

Actually, it’s not that I don’t like Michael Jackson. I admit my initial comment was too harsh of an indictment of a youth who was exploited by those who should have been more concerned with his moral well-being than making an entertainment icon out of him and destroying him in the process but there’s no arguing that his example to other young people is not helpful.

I seriously doubt for one minute that you would have tolerated your son spending that kind of time in the pursuit of being able to dance like Michael Jackson.

Cleombrotus on May 24, 2014 at 12:33 AM

More moon walking, without the crotch grabbing at about 1:15.

Good 80s tune: I Can Dream About You.

BuckeyeSam on May 24, 2014 at 12:36 AM

G

ood for you.

I also have seen Michael dance.

On TV.

This is becoming quite entertaining.

Do tell!

Sherman1864 on May 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Boy, you make one comment about a Michael Jackson mimic, and the Michael Jackson mimic lovers come out of their holes(so to speak).
Of course, I don’t know, maybe Sherman has always been here. I wouldn’t know. For I don’t spend all day on Hot Air.

It’s a good thing I didn’t make a comment on a Cher impersonator, or I might really be in trouble.

Sterling Holobyte on May 24, 2014 at 1:27 AM

That was incredible!

anuts on May 24, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Honestly it makes me so happy…my son has aspergers and he memorizes everything. He’s brilliantly “challenging” I like to say…but given my own prior involvement in dance/performing arts, I love this and could see my son doing this (he already reenacts every Frozen scene on the film and is a great dancer). I applaud this talented kid! Takes me back to even hear the song anyway….great job.

Bee on May 24, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Pedophilia is not entertaining, and should not be celebrated.

Michael Jackson ‘spent $35 million to silence at least two dozen boys he abused’

Pork-Chop on May 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM

AWESOME!!!!!!

Redford on May 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

He did a great job.No need to criticize.

gerrym51 on May 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Pedophilia is not entertaining, and should not be celebrated.

Pork-Chop on May 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM

That was a promotion of pedophilia? I guess naming schools after Jefferson and Washington is likewise an endorsement of slave ownership.

non-nonpartisan on May 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM

There’s always some smartarse who has to post Bob Fosse’s dance from The Little Prince. Apparently this was Jackson’s favourite film: go figure.

anonymous irishman on May 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM

He’s good but I’ve seen young people who much better.

Jayrae on May 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I’m not watching this…..

llahoundit can use it in the privacy of whatever…….which I’m sure he has…

williamg on May 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Gay.

And obsessive-compulsive beyond belief.

WhatSlushfund on May 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Death,taxes and always at least one douchebag in the comments.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM

“This goes to show you how untalented MJ really was. Any kid could do what MJ did with a day or two of practice.”

I was thinking while I watched it that the original dance when Michael introduced it showed how VERY talented he was, because every kick and move and gesture was naturally choreographed to fit to the music’s beat — it was an intrinsic whole.

The white kid is a micro-beat behind because he’s dancing to what his rote memory tells him to do next, NOT to the music.

Nevertheless, good job and fun to watch. And, whoever the blobby person wandering around in the background is, sit the hell down and be STILL when your betters are performing!

NahnCee on May 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM

“Pedophilia is not entertaining, and should not be celebrated.”

He was acquitted. Personally, I’m with the jury on that decision, and choose to remember him as a wounded fawn trembling and hiding throughout his adulthood, afraid both to sleep and to dream, and to live a full adult life.

The other thing that is not entertaining and should not be celebrated is extortion. You know that Michael’s whole life was one long extortion started by his father, continued by his brothers and his mother, and continuing after death with a bunch of other losers trying to make money off his name.

NahnCee on May 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Hey, look, a 17 year old kid gets up and grabs his crotch repeatedly in front of his peers and becomes a mega-viral sensation on the Internet. How charming.

Sorry, I find nothing to celebrate in this dreck. As someone else said, he should try Fred Astaire next.

Shump on May 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM

White men can’t J………….do that!!!!

PaCadle on May 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM

… and choose to remember him as a wounded fawn trembling and hiding throughout his adulthood, afraid both to sleep and to dream, and to live a full adult life.

NahnCee on May 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Uh, okay … “wounded fawn” …. dangerous sexual predator, and raging drug addict.

Pork-Chop on May 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Nailed it! Good job!

TX-96 on May 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Shump on May 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Man, I cannot imagine being as miserable as you detesting everything.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 24, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Death,taxes and always at least one douchebag in the comments.

The Notorious G.O.P on May 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM

So what is your excuse patriot?

Murphy9 on May 25, 2014 at 4:22 PM