Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on May 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is known for bold statements, and he made a few Wednesday at a conference in Nashville on the topic of banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling.

“I know I’m prejudiced, and I know I’m bigoted in a lot of different ways,” Cuban said in an interview shown at the annual GrowCo convention hosted by Inc. magazine, according to The Tennessean.

“If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I’ll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos (on the side he now is on), I’ll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses.”

***

The Mavericks owner issued a five-part tweet Thursday afternoon in which he apologized to Trayvon Martin’s parents for the hoodie reference, but stood by the context of his answers and called for more tolerance…

CNN commentator and ESPN senior writer LZ Granderson said he thought Cuban was trying to have a nuanced conversation but didn’t do it very well.

Granderson said he was disturbed that Cuban equated the hoodie stereotype — something he said has led to unjust treatment of African-Americans and even killings — to the stereotype of the tattooed white man.

“One has history and the other doesn’t or the same sort of emotional response,” Granderson said.

***

Cuban said he is “100 percent proud” of his original comments on the issues other than using some poor examples to convey his own prejudices while attempting to emphasize the importance of acknowledging personal flaws and evolving as a society…

“Clearly, I wouldn’t use the hoodie example [again], because that kind of distracted from the discussion and it wasn’t very appropriate given what happened to the Martin family, so I offered my apologies to the Martin family,” Cuban said. “Excluding that, I would do it all again, same way, every day.”

Cuban said the vast majority of the reaction he has received after his comments, made during the Inc. interview and an ensuing appearance at the magazine’s GrowCo convention Wednesday, has been supportive.

“It’s been 99 percent positive except in some of the media,” Cuban said. “With a topic like this, you’re always going to have people who take sides. That’s probably where I’ve gotten the most grief, but the good news is I haven’t really watched it. I’ve just gotten it secondhand, and I kind of expected it. I knew when I was saying it that it was going to cause a firestorm in some respects, but the audience I was talking to was full of entrepreneurs and business people. It’s a topic that’s important to them, and right now, it’s something they’re going through, particularly because all the Donald Sterling stuff brought a lot of attention to them.

***

ESPN personality Bomani Jones even engaged Cuban with a war of the words on Twitter on Thursday morning.

“Cuban did punk out with that ‘i’m scared of white guys with tattoos’ point, too. Not the same as a hooded sweatshirt, slugger.”

Cuban responded: “What would make you cross the street in fear late at night? Anything?”

Jones answered, “Not a person, no. As I said, if it’s like that, the person’s coming with you. I’m not that fast or in running shame. It’d be futile.”

Cuban retorted, “So you fear no one because it’s pointless to do so? Am I understanding you correctly?”

Jones: “I’m not fearless, but I’m not crossing the street. Past that, though: damn sure not cuz someone’s got a hoodie on and I says that as someone who’s been robbed at gunpoint by someone in a hoodie.”

***

By acknowledging a fear of a “black kid in a hoodie,’’ Cuban is admitting he is scared of many of his own players and fans, as the hoodie is a common piece of wardrobe for young people of all races. He’s also buying into the sort of fears that led to the 2012 Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida, an incident that sparked national outrage. In fact, players from the Miami Heat even wore hoodies one day in protest of the fatal shooting of the black teenager.

Just because Cuban says he is trying “not to be hypocritical” does not mean that he can be excused for his ignorance. Simply because he praises this country’s fight against bigotry doesn’t give him a pass to sound like a bigot.

Mark Cuban is not Donald Sterling. He doesn’t have Sterling’s racist past. He is considered one of the league’s smartest and most passionate owners.

But after making those comments, Cuban appears to be lot closer to Sterling than anyone ever imagined, and NBA Commissioner Adam Silver needs to deal with the dangers of that proximity.

***

Defending Cuban yesterday, a number of commentators pointed to a famous press conference in 1993, during which Jesse Jackson lamented that, “there is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” Why does it matter that Jackson said this? Not, I’d propose, because a black person’s having said it justifies any nefarious instincts that non-blacks might have. But because Jackson’s having admitted to it indicates just how widespread such fears are. Again, a useful response in this instance would not be to complain that Cuban’s professed fears might potentially hurt feelings and should therefore be kept quiet, but to inquire as to whether his inclination is warranted. One might discover that Jackson and Cuban are both overly afraid and should learn to be more judicious; or that it is destructive to minorities for collective crime statistics to so readily be put on the shoulders of innocent individuals; or that, while there is something rational to their fears, it nevertheless shows just how potent racial inequalities remain in everyday life. As it happens, if it says anything much at all, Cuban’s admission plays into the Left’s contention that there is widespread anxiety about black men in hoodies, and that this fear sometimes has fatal consequences. Whatever one’s view, shouldn’t his judgment be welcomed as a useful piece of information?

Fleshing out his accusation of cowardice, [Eric] Holder lamented that “certain subjects are off limits and that to explore them risks at best embarrassment and at worst the questioning of one’s character.” Once again, he was right. Any meaningful “conversation” dealing with a topic as weighty as race will have to be predicated on the ironclad understanding that contributors will not be crucified for their participation. We are not yet ready to offer that assurance. Mark Cuban broached one of Holder’s “certain subjects” and he took an honest shot at exploring it. For his troubles, he has been embarrassed and his character has been questioned. Far from encouraging others to contribute, such a reaction is all but guaranteed to ensure that others will demur from following the example. Who among us will bare our souls if only to have stakes driven through them by our self-appointed judges? Not Mark Cuban. Not me. Not anybody else in the nation of cowards.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

jrsrigmvr on May 24, 2014 at 1:35 AM

I’m fine and dandy, Fred. Thanks. Hope you and the Mrs. are well.

4Grace on May 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM

I am going back out to watch to grading and excavation…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2014 at 1:41 AM

all the fools sailed away

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 24, 2014 at 1:42 AM

….Reminder…..

williamg on May 24, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Newtie. Thanks for that walk down memory lane 1967 saw one of the best concerts ever for $5.00 on a high school football field , the Doors, and Jefferson Airplane, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and one other forgettable group. ha JA even had that psychedelic background going on behind them. they were amazing but when their songs started becoming 20 mites long people were clapping for them to stop. Long jam songs weren’t really known then. The Doors were out of this world crazy good, they sounded exactly like the record I was playing to death at home. unreal. and all for 5 bucks.
So thanks for the blast from the past heh!
BTW Carne Asada and Margaritas yummy !

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 1:44 AM

4Grace on May 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM

We’re fine Grace. thanks. Taking mrs fred to town tomorrow for groceries and such.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 24, 2014 at 1:45 AM

I enjoy watching them work as I smoke and drink beer on my front porch…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2014 at 1:35 AM

There is a country music song somewhere in there..:)

PS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 1:49 AM

So, are we going to have a Triple Crown winner??? I’ll be out of town that weekend and away from the news.

4Grace on May 24, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Very possible..A lot of folks stayed out of the Preakness to rest up for Belmont..It is going to be close either way..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Hey Dire, When I was a little boy growing up in the 50′s & 60′s I always loved watching the road graders, bulldozers, dump trucks and ditch witches at work so this is better than a movie for me…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Can he do the extra distance?

4Grace on May 24, 2014 at 1:56 AM

KOOLAID:

Since you don’t seem to be lurking, I’ll just toss my question out for you.

My memory’s not the best, but do you perchance have a special day coming up? Like next Friday?

I’ll look for your answer tomorrow. Gotta turn in for the night.

GOODNIGHT & GOD BLESS to all!

4Grace on May 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Oh yeah..Everybody had Tonka toys..In fact I wish I still had mine from childhood..I bet they would be worth some $$$..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Can he do the extra distance?

4Grace on May 24, 2014 at 1:56 AM

That is a “millions” dollar question..Call me an eeyore but I’m not sure if he is going to win it..But a large part of me will be pulling for him..:):)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 2:20 AM

Can he do the extra distance?

4Grace on May 24, 2014 at 1:56 AM

People asked that question about Secretariat………and predicted the answer was “NO!“…….

….he won by 31 Lengths……..

williamg on May 24, 2014 at 2:22 AM

evening..
take a pebble..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Call me an eeyore…..

……Please stop using that word…..it’s a favorite word of one of the most stupid and destructive people alive…..and he blogs here….

williamg on May 24, 2014 at 2:24 AM

adios: vaya con dios

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 24, 2014 at 2:30 AM

Where is flange? He was a great commenter in the headlines section. Come back, flange!

He was always so witty. A true genius. He and pork-chop always cracked me up.

bluegill on May 24, 2014 at 2:30 AM

If anyone here knows flange, please tell him he is missed at HotAir!

bluegill on May 24, 2014 at 2:32 AM

G’night all…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2014 at 2:38 AM

Hagfish showed up and shitted here…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2014 at 2:39 AM

williamg on May 24, 2014 at 2:24 AM

Sorry..My bad..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 2:41 AM

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Dire Straits on May 24, 2014 at 2:41 AM

evening DS.. anything news on your side?

did you see the Freedom 100 today??

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 2:44 AM

G’night all…

OmahaConservative on May 24, 2014 at 2:38 AM

Good night O.C, thanks for the welcome ;)

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 2:47 AM

and you and I..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 2:50 AM

one of these days..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:04 AM

Ottmar Liebert : Waiting 4 Stars 2 Fall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_INtB-_xsA

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 3:10 AM

evening Bk..
nice tune..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:18 AM

the fillmore east..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 3:20 AM

that’s a link to the thread were on..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 3:27 AM

as long as the Barkeep leaves my bottle of Scotch.. im ok..
sometimes you have to keep an eye on the Barbacks here too…

“old folks”…???… schoouch..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:32 AM

Oscar & The Count

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:44 AM

Osacr.. Salute to Bach

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:52 AM

sorry Oscar…

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:52 AM

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 3:47 AM

that post is linked to this thread also..

I just use simple cut n paste…oldschool..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 3:53 AM

Duke Ellington Take the A train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2w2m1JmCY
old school huh, yes that is easier, you know it took me until I was about 35 yrs before I gained an appreciation for that era of music, you ala Grandmas music. guess you have to grow up to appreciate some things. Cut and paste yeah, old to you new to me.. I worked taking care of sick people, didn’t have to know how to cut and paste. never had an office job in my life. Loved music all my life though. Lets see if my cut n paste worked.

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:06 AM

that worked perfectly…

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 4:08 AM

Bakokitty on May 24

are you a nurse??..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 4:10 AM

Damn I don’t mean to take so long, heck your probably falling asleep. lol.. i’m on the west coast and it’s only 1:07, i’m going to go out in a while to see if any of those meteors are passing by tonight.
Thanks for the good music, and company. Stars fall about 2-4am hope you are in an area that can see them..
Frank Sinatra Would you like to swing on a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWKXU0ApF08

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:13 AM

ive been watching it on the Slooh telescopes all night..

northern cali or southern??
I spent years in so cal…working

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 4:17 AM

No, was a Respiratory Therapist for 22years. Like i said I’m ancient,retired now.Grew up with rock n roll and I’ll probably die listening to it. I must say I seen a lot of cool people live in my time. Still love live music the best, I went to some good festivals and concerts, Fell in love with music in 3rd grade when the school to us to see a philharmonic orchestra, it blew me away,
But I knew I would take care of sick people since I was 5. I took time away from working full time when my kids were little, then went back to school, I really liked it but it was grueling most days and I saw the healthcare train wreck coming so I jumped the train.

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:24 AM

well you did good work for years…good on ya..
and retired too?…
I was a caregiver twice… but not for a living..
so I still have to work,…
how can you afford the left coast on retirement??

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 4:37 AM

besides… old music is the best..
you will never see this in America again..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 4:39 AM

Central valley now, used to live in Southern Cali, SFV grew up up there since 9, kept moving north. sorry to get back late, was trying to get the live site up on computer in another tab.. thanks for the link
Where are you now if I may ask?

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:40 AM

I lived and worked for a while in the SFV..
lived off Ventura and white oak.. and no ho..
worked and lived in the so bay 405 south bay curve area also..
I am in Michigan now..
I work from here for a firm in Santa Clarita..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 4:48 AM

Well, we are not rich thats for sure haha, just never bought what we couldn’t afford, and hubby has one of those old school retirements that people are never going to see again,( like you work for thirty ++ years and you get to retire) and I have mine not nearly as good but we are ok if we don’t get crazy. I guess I won;t be traveling around the world but it’s probably not so good a time for that for Americans right now. What so you do for work?
Gerry Garcia Truckinhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7azWVMY5oWg

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 4:52 AM

that link did not work..

I draw .. I am a designer..
LA had all the Aerospace work at one time..
a lot of it left the state…
guess everyone will work at ‘in n out’ burgers now..

do you live close enough to day trip like Yosemite?? the big trees?
who needs a silly tower in France when you have redwoods..!!

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 4:58 AM

wow Ventrura and White Oak now that an area I know well, I went to Poly high in NoHo,. but it’s not like it was when i lived there,
Michigan, land of lakes nice guess you don’t mind the cold, I lived in Santa Clarita for about 16yrs. then moved north to high desert, then north again. i guess to get away from the LA peeps. I guess you miss the rat race of southern Cali.

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 5:00 AM

ehh.. my last stint was 10 years..
I was living at the beach in long beach
and working in Santa Clarita..
so the drive was murder…daily..
but I was on the beach so no way was I gonna move..
then my mom’s got sick.. so I came back here..

I miss the foods…the pace.. walking to the pubs.. the beach
but the traffic you just never miss..
and the looney libs too ..I don’t miss them..
where my house in Michigan is its quiet… trees n lakes..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 5:10 AM

Mike Bloomfield – Stop

kcewa on May 24, 2014 at 5:11 AM

try this…
well it takes about six hours to Yosemite, my favorite place in the mountains. went to a great festival near there off the 120 hwy west entrance called the Strawberry music festival have lots of live music from there, they had a pirate radio station next to the stage that you could tape off the the radio they broadcast the performances from.. went there every Memorial and Labor day weekend holidays,, great festival.and then after we’d go go to the valley floor, several times went up to the high country of Yosemite of the east side of Sierras by Lee Vining/Mono/area. yes a treat for the eyes and soul.
so you work in aerospace? I always enjoyed the planes flying area Palmdale area, another therapist I worked with used to work for Lockheed built the stealth fighter but he got sick of being laid off when aerospace would go belly up so he changed professions.

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen and G2. I saw the stars last night. I thought I’d gout back and try to see meteors even though there are usually too many trees and clouds. It was a clear night for a change. I could see the big dipper, etc. I only saw one shooting star. It’s hard to keep looking up. I guess one needs to bundle up and lie on something. I haven’t seen stars since the ice storm when the electricity was out for 3 days.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 5:16 AM

RR had us working OT for most of the 80′s
and 41 wasn’t too bad for us..
the Bill came…
and also Cali started going hard blue fast..
and firms left…
Hughes Helicopter left culver city for Arizona
sold the land in culver city for millions
and bought 4 sq miles in zona..
and JSF is in Texas now..
so many of the firms are gone.. or much reduced..
at one time California made more planes than the rest of the world combined..
not so much now..

do you know the bass lake area??..
if your six hours your not central..
Lancaster?? Palmdale??

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 5:23 AM

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 5:16 AM

“Good morning ladies and gentlemen and G2″

laffs…good morning COL..
I assure you I fall in one of those first two categories..
don’t I??
I went out a dozen time and saw a ton of stars..
maybe 3 or 4 shooters..
yes it helps to lay down…bundled.. maybe something warm to sip on..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 5:29 AM

Jimi Hendricks Crosstown Traffic… yes I don’t miss that either, used to commute to SFV from Lancaster for 10years it brought out the”B” in me I don’t play with the sh*theads on the freeway,, haha I could really dish it out too. of course working in an ER changed my thinking a bit.. Sounds like you have the right spot to be in, I’d like to leave now but kids/ and grands are here. and hubby will never move..sigh.
BTW saw Hendricks when I was 20 at the hollywood bowl, BIL won the tickets off the radio and didn’t want them. so I snatched them up, great concert. people were jumping in the water moat that used to be in front of the stage… and dancing ..stage guards were freaking out . didn’t them fools to get electrocuted.

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 5:32 AM

are you in Lancaster now?

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 5:39 AM

no I’m central maybe 5 hrs then, used to be Lancaster, yes I’ve been to bass lake ,’nice little spot. Ive been here 6 years, commuted to AV to finish last few years of working. I don’t miss commuting anymore.
I’m going to go outside for a while, check on the cat, bring him in. I’ll say good night and thank you g2m for the tunes and talk.. and nite to you also COL. sorry to have missed you.

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 5:41 AM

Bakokitty hint hint hint :0

Bakokitty on May 24, 2014 at 5:44 AM

Bakokitty on May 24

I am going to fall down too..
nice to have met you ..sleep well..
cheers COL
live harbor cam NYC..

going2mars on May 24, 2014 at 5:44 AM

So, they basically had to delete the entire second half of his statement (about the white guy) in order to get a headline. You’d have to read several paragraphs into the story (depending on the outlet that republished it) to read his ENTIRE statement. If they had led with the second half of the statement (about the shaved-head white guy), there would have been no story. Blatantly obvious.

Moron Labe on May 24, 2014 at 6:50 AM

If you like your thought police, you can keep your thought police.

I think this is a promise Obama is willing to keep.

astonerii on May 24, 2014 at 7:26 AM

The attire or tattoos is not the main factor, it’s the neighborhood. That’s the controlling factor of whether or not you feel relatively safe walking about.

cimbri on May 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

cimbri on May 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

In other words become familiar with your environment. One usually is in one’s own neighborhood but you have to be extra careful when in a strange environment.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Looking at the headlines:

Coffee snobs – get a grip. Coffee is coffee.
President should resign – goes without saying but he won’t.
Conservatives need a leader – true
Autism – always been always will be. Fix it.
Survivor is morally contemptible – so what else is new.
Walesa wants us to act like a super power. – we aren’t one anymore.
Political ignorance has power – we know. That’s how we got this government.
Jim Webb – don’t know who he is. Don’t think I care.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM

“… the term “hoodie” will always be linked to his death.”

Nah … until the Golf Prince & his posse move out of crib 1600. ;)

kregg on May 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM

it is frustrating to watch history rewrite itself in this column. But it is instructive. The author thinks the Martin shooting was about a black kid in a hoodie. The shooting was about a thug who jumped a person and got shot for it. Optional outcome was Zimmerman dead or seriously injured. That crime- the beating of innocent citizens by blacks for fun- IS the reason people fear a black in a hoodie!

And those acts are perpetrated BY BLACKS OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL!!! They chose to beat people who can’t defend themselves. So of course a black person in a hoodie raises alarm. This isn’t rocket science. And the left has spent a lot of effort clouding the issue because they fear one day questions will be asked they can’t answer.

Back in the nineties a buddy of mine worked a case where young black men targeted elderly white women at ATMs. They were not content with just robbing them, they beat the women. When caught they confessed and said proudly they beat the women so “they would know who they should fear.”

That is the reality and why people cross the street.

On a side note. He charged the blacks with the new hate crime statute. The SAO nearly stroked. He said “you can’t charge them with that!” When asked why not the SAO said blacks commit hate crimes.

archer52 on May 24, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Correction SAO said they cannot commit hate crimes

archer52 on May 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Correction SAO said they cannot commit hate crimes

archer52 on May 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

The usual thinking of the unintelligent.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Where is KJ this morning?

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Sorry, ma’am!

Here I am.

I have combined all 4 parts of my series on HIllary into a 5,500 word Biography. Please share this with your friends.

My take: It Takes a Radical: The Very Political Life of Hillary Rodham Clinton

kingsjester on May 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM

My take: It Takes a Radical: The Very Political Life of Hillary Rodham Clinton

kingsjester on May 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Just wondering. We get used to seeing you in a certain time and place.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Lanceman told me that you were looking for me. :)

kingsjester on May 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Lanceman told me that you were looking for me. :)

kingsjester on May 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Nice to see he’s still reading. Hi, Lanceman.

crankyoldlady on May 24, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Doesn’t HotAir usually have a post when there is a mass killing?? (Such as yesterday by UCSB) I usually come to the comments for a round up on the info…

blockchords on May 24, 2014 at 8:10 PM