Hot Air Primary Survey Follow Up results

posted at 8:01 am on May 21, 2014 by Patrick Ishmael

First, the Obamacare results.

ocare

To our respondents, voting for implementation of Obamacare at the state level is basically indistinguishable from a vote in favor of the underlying law. That’s a pretty important result in the context of a primary where potential challengers like John Kasich and Mike Pence are implementing, or trying to implement, the President’s signature legislation.

As to the survey for the primary itself, there seems to have been both little movement and lots of movement simultaneously. Ted Cruz earns 28% of the vote this time around, basically matching his 29% showing from earlier this month. Rick Perry remains in fourth at 7%, close to his 8% showing before. But Scott Walker has jumped to the top of the list this week, earning a full 31% of the vote. That jump may be at Rand Paul‘s expense; whereas Walker jumped 13 points over the course of about two weeks, Paul dropped about 10 points, but remains in third. Moving into fifth place is Ben Carson, replacing Mitt Romney.

Scott Walker also wins the “second choice” race, ahead of Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry and Ben Carson.

second

alternatives

Demographics were consistent relative to the last survey. Your analyses are welcome in the comments, on Twitter and on your blogs. Thanks again!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Thanks Patrick

I like Ben but not for president….. too green compared to the governors running

cmsinaz on May 21, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Scott Walker – now we just need him to run…

Interesting results – thank you for the effort it took.

jake-the-goose on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I think Walker would make a great president. I’m Leary though, electing a Blue State Republican Governor is like playing Russian roulette. Remember how goog Christy looked in 2010?

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Wow! Ted Cruz seems to be kicking quite a bit for a potential candidate that Allahpundit has declared DOA because he is too scary for the liberal elite RINOs.

My opinion is that we let the surrender weasels pick the candidate the last two times and we got McCain and Romney, This time around they are pushing Jeb Bush or Chris Christie. It is time for the real Republicans to tell them to STFU and hold their nose and vote for a conservative of the party’s choice.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Remember how goog Christy looked in 2010?

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

No, I can honestly say that I can’t. A fat arrogant bully has never been my idea of a good candidate. And that was even before he endorsed Obama the weekend before the 2012 elections.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Touché Sir. I stand corrected!

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Let’s nominate more senators! Our current one is doing a helluva job.

Immolate on May 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I agree, Christie has always been a hold my nose candidate. And Ben Carson has infinitely. more experience than bambi, even after nearly 6 years of bambi holding the office. Ben Carson would make an excellent senator or governor IMHO.

Mini-14 on May 21, 2014 at 8:22 AM

My opinion is that we let the surrender weasels pick the candidate the last two times and we got McCain and Romney.
Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Maybe we should have had a primary where actual people voted. What? Oh wait… never mind. /s

rhombus on May 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM

These are always so interesting. Thanks!

gophergirl on May 21, 2014 at 8:26 AM

2+ years out, Scott Walker takes the lead!

Deafdog on May 21, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Yeah, I’m stoked!!

Saw mcConnell interviewed by Meghan…yeah, this VA scandal
is terrible….this Administration is not being truthful.

Hey, Vote for me!!

Effing parasite.

ToddPA on May 21, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Who are these 35 people picking Jeb Bush? Are you just trolling?

Skipity on May 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM

***

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I’m here. In the past two presidential elections, I haven’t seen moderate Republicans on fire for McCain or Romney, though they got who they wanted. You want to see involvement, turnout, and pounding the pavement to shake up independent fence sitters? Run Cruz or to a lesser extent Walker.

Yeah, I wish Cruz had some executive experience. But Cruz is smart, and, more important, doesn’t seem to mind having smart people around him. Obama, in contrast, loves living off the canard that he’s the smartest guy in the room. The sad thing is that because this moron surrounds himself with idiots, he actually is. Name a member of his cabinet or either of his SCOTUS picks who will be viewed by history as competent. Maybe Panetta at DOD. But go down the list. They’re all jokes. I see a President Cruz with an extraordinary cabinet.

BuckeyeSam on May 21, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Thanks Patrick for your data crunchin’…you rock.

RHINO’s take a hit in this first Hot Gas poll.

Gig Em’

God Bless Texas

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 8:30 AM

How about a breakdown of “other”, what is the Lizard Man vote?

Bishop on May 21, 2014 at 8:36 AM

My choice has been Scott Walker for a long time.

SC.Charlie on May 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM

OT but related since it is election season…Call your representatives about amnesty and express your freedom to say Hell No.

Posted excerpts on the QOTD thread this morning with contact links…Basically the push for needing STEM foreign workers is another big fat lie.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM

rhombus on May 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM

You make it sound so simplistic. Which it is when you strip away arbitrary rules about “winner take all” vs. proportional victories. Penalties on some states for “early” primaries. Insane internecine in-fighting which provides great fodder for the Dems come the general election. Biased moderators for both primary and general debates…….

Clearly, there are steering currents throughout the primary process. The establishment has pushed McCain and Romney on the party which hasn’t exactly lit the grassroots base on fire with passion. If the surrender weasels think that Christie, Bush, or Rubio is a winning candidate in 2016 they will be sorely disappointed yet again.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Hardest hit…Joe Scarborough

His staff must’ve voted in this poll.

*snicker*

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I see a President Cruz with an extraordinary cabinet.

BuckeyeSam on May 21, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Say what you want about GWB but he surrounded himself with people that knew how to manage and lead. And GWB wasn’t afraid to make “the call” when a decision needed to be made.

Would Obama have been atop a pile of rubble on 9/14/01 saying that the enemy would be hearing from America over that week’s atrocities? Or would have Obama gone to the UN and asked for a declaration of condemnation against the Taliban? Followed up with, of course, a string of sanctions against Afghanistan as part of a smart diplomatic solution.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Hardest hit…Joe Scarborough

His staff must’ve voted in this poll.

*snicker*

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Who? ;0

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Jebmentum! :-D

Nethicus on May 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Remember how goog Christy looked in 2010?

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

To who? I do understand your concern over a Republican from a deep blue (and apparently half crazed) state. Christie is a blowhard.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 8:49 AM

My choice has been Scott Walker for a long time.

SC.Charlie on May 21, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Mine as well.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on May 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM

‘ And Walker wins the “acceptable alternative” race, ahead of Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, Rick Perry and Ben Carson — mirroring the result of the “second choice” question. ‘

Sometimes it is enough to be everyone’s second choice in presidential primaries. I think this is the most important outcome of this survey.

The GOP tends to like “the guy from last time”. I think Walker’s high-profile fight to stay in office and implement his agenda against repeated Dem efforts at recall stands as a good replacement for that status. He has a certain “everybody’s incumbent” appeal that is national.

I tend to like Rand Paul (when he isn’t spitballing half-baked remarks at a camera). But I’ve also liked Scott Walker all along. I think that is true across the board, whether you like Christie or Bush or whoever. Walker is playing a decent hand and watching his step with an eye to being everybody’s Mr. #2.

That strategy also works quite well for being the VP pick on the 2016 ballot.

Toocon on May 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Walker – Perry – Jindal are my picks; I think it would be a mistake to pick a Senator who is good at bloviating but never ran anything – we already have one of those.

SigRuman on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM

GWB also managed to get the Congress to authorize the use of force after the longest deliberation I’d ever seen involving that kind of decision. Rushed to war, lied about WMD my warty arse… he also managed to get numerous condemnations out of the UN. What did Obama do? Enter a war without consulting the American people and then he lied directly to the American people about why our ambassador was murdered. Yeah, Mr. Diplomacy – NOT!

rhombus on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

There’s an option for Condoleeza Rice, Joe Scarborough and Susana Martinez – but no Sarah Palin?

I realize she probably won’t run – but at this point we should at least have her as an option.

TarheelBen on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

He had appeal for me, but I’m not The Average Voter. I don’t see much of a comparison, other than their general introductions to the national scene around-abouts 2010.

Walker has demonstrated a few traits I like since then:

Humility in the face of victory; evidenced in his election, the recall, and the subsequent benefits to business due to his union busting law. He speaks well, he knows when to shut up, and he has been better-than-average consistent on his issues and his course.

Reagan was a Blue State candidate as well, but as yet, further comparison would be silly…

EvilMonk on May 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM

TarheelBen on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

I noticed that too. Maybe the next time and we can see who she draws votes from.

rhombus on May 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM

EvilMonk on May 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I don’t think it’s silly. We see more conservatism in the rear view mirror than many a conservative of the day saw through their windshields.

rhombus on May 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I didn’t vote because Ezekiel Huntsman was not on the list.

NotCoach on May 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM

SigRuman on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Mine are
Perry
Jindal
Walker

in that order.

I also agree that a successful conservative governor is best for the executive position.

This election will be primarily about the economy because more people are tired of being unemployed and underemployed.

When Obamacare hits what is left of the middle class broadly and they begin to connect the dots as they awaken from their stupor…The economy will take precedence over historical and dynastic candidates.

We need to stay focused on the economy…imho…

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I have to say that I like the combination of Walker and Cruz. Ice and fire. Early days, I could like a lot of people.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM

whereas Walker jumped 13 points over the course of about two weeks

This might have something to do with the fact that the image for the poll post was a photo of Walker.

Next time do the poll without advertising a particular candidate.

Jon0815 on May 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Primary voters need to ask themselves a question:

What is needed to help save this country from the imminent decline that we currently trending towards. I don’t just mean decline of American status globally, I mean a decline in the legitimacy of the government itself.

Which candidate will advance policies that will reestablish confidence in the US government both nationally and globally?

The answer is not someone that will garner establishment support. The answer is someone that will break up the corrupt system. The candidate will want to audit the fed, fight for a flat tax or repeal of the 16th amendment and establish a fair tax, stop making crony capitalistic deals, fight for term limits, support our allies to the fullest of our ability and stand up to evil with conviction.

The elite is thoroughly uninterested in uncovering the corruption inherent within the system. When you think of the elite, think of Christie, Jeb, Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, and to a lesser extent, Scott Walker.

h a p f a t on May 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Hardest hit…Joe Scarborough

His staff must’ve voted in this poll.

*snicker*

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Jazz must have been working late as well

*hehe*

Steve Eggleston on May 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

TarheelBen on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

rhombus on May 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM

These Hot Gas polls change a lot…and it’s early yet.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Hardest hit…Joe Scarborough

His staff must’ve voted in this poll.

*snicker*

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Jazz must have been working late as well

*hehe*

Steve Eggleston on May 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

lol

We do give Jazz quite the ribbing

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM

lol

We do give Jazz quite the ribbing

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM

In my case, it’s more of where he came from (The Moderate Liberal Voice). I’ve actually met him, and he’s a pretty decent guy.

Steve Eggleston on May 21, 2014 at 9:14 AM

h a p f a t on May 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I agree with your sentiments and characterizations other than about Walker, whom I would not have considered among the elite as you describe them. Why do you include Walker in that list?

GaltBlvnAtty on May 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Scott Walker & Rand Paul. One is the apparent consensus candidate with a titanium pair that can toggle his not-so-insignificant blue state, the other has some cross-party appeal by bringing in the millenials and the college grads – and as long as Rand Paul is kept running the Senate rather than the War Room, I call it a bingo ticket.

Rix on May 21, 2014 at 9:28 AM

My big worry with Walker is immigration. When a candidate is reluctant to state his/her opinion on a position it’s usually because the base isn’t gonna like it.

Big Orange on May 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I wonder why Jindal’s not at the top. What’s not to like?

mpower on May 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

TarheelBen on May 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

rhombus on May 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM

These Hot Gas polls change a lot…and it’s early yet.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM

She is consistently ignored by HA polls, which is why I ignore HA polls consistently.

So far, that has yet to steer me wrong.

Irritable Pundit on May 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I voted for walker in the last one too. I think he is a very good candidate.

He told Obama’s goons to shut up and get out of the way so he could open the parks in Wisconsin during the shutdown. He is not implementing the Medicaid handout bait.

My only reservation with him is his one comment last year on the immigration bill. But I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his prior actions until he speaks more in depth about it.

NWConservative on May 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM

These Hot Gas polls change a lot…and it’s early yet.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM

It is very early, and results will of course change.

Why is that, Patrick?

cs89 on May 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM

How about a Walker/Cruz ticket. The only reason I put Walker in first is that he’s a governor. I’d be only slightly less happy if it were reversed. Either way we’d have a real president once again with a valid back up and a potential successor.

Oldnuke on May 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I always enjoy these, thanks for doing them.

Bob's Kid on May 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Looks like Rand Paul has really fallen out of favor.

Funny, that.

Pork-Chop on May 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM

She is consistently ignored by HA polls…

Irritable Pundit on May 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Yup. I feel like I am constantly being trolled by the poll. Patrick? What say you?

OT – Good news, tick on dog was a “dog tick” and usually, not a big deal. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Fallon on May 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on May 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM

He views power the same way Christie does. He has been accused of using the power of his office to go after opponents. Nothing has stuck to him, but there is enough of a concern to label him so. The other reason is this:

Big Orange on May 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM

This is the mark of someone too close to the bed of the cronies. He either needs their money or he agrees with their position. That’s not a mark of someone that wants to break up a crony capitalistic system.

The most level headed approach to immigration from a patriot’s standpoint, where the health of the nation is taken in consideration has been Newt’s. He wanted communities to rule on people’s contribution and effort to assimilate. It was local. It was nuanced. It provided flexibility.

I am not opposed to voting for Walker. He may be the only choice we will be allowed by the establishment that is at all interested in reform. I am however opposed to Bush, Christe, Ryan, and Rubio. I will leave the top of the ticket blank if one of those is the choice.

h a p f a t on May 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I wonder why Jindal’s not at the top. What’s not to like?

mpower on May 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Jindal’s pretty impressive at this point. I think that the HA readership is just more enthused about Cruz and Walker. They’ve been making more of a splash recently while Jindal is a little more reserved. Jindal definitely has potential. I have to admit I’ve been ignoring Jindal too while I’ve been a Walker-Cruz hopeful for some time.

Oldnuke on May 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM

However, one constant in the previous cycle was that Palin won the HotGas polls almost without exception. And yet she wasn’t listed in the last two, while Condi Rice & Mitt Romney (who probably aren’t running, either) were. Why is that, Patrick? cs89 at 9:49 AM

Because she didn’t run in 2012 when her maximum impact as “the guy from last time” was at its greatest? Because she still hasn’t demonstrated any real interest by fundraising or visiting early primary states?

Still, if Rice (who never ran for anything and steadfastly insists she has no interest or intention) is in the list, maybe Palin should be too. The difference is that Palin’s fanbois would have slammed the poll hard, possibly bringing in ringers from the ILoveSarah.com websites to help them. With Rice, you’ll only get a few percent so it won’t tilt the poll big.

If Palin gives any indication of running, HA will have online polls with her included again.

Toocon on May 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

h a p f a t on May 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful response.
For now I am with the commenters above who have a wait and see position regarding Walker on immigration. I sure like what he has done for his state’s economics.

GaltBlvnAtty on May 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM

EvilMonk on May 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM

At the time Reagan ran for president California if not a red state completely, was red more frequently than blue.

KAPred4Life on May 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Toocon on May 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

She is always judged “differently” than others, weird.

Fallon on May 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

voted for walker in the last one too. I think he is a very good candidate.

NWConservative on May 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I am not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He’s got to say he is against Shamnesty. If he does, he’s the man.

As much as I like other conservatives who are senators they don’t have executive experience. There is no getting around legislators make bad executives.

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Toocon on May 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

She is always judged “differently” than others, weird.

Fallon on May 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Yep. At least half of those included on this poll have given no indication that they are thinking about running – and most would have no chance of winning anything if they were to run. And yet, Sarah Palin, who has more to offer than many of those included, and is highly electable, is excluded, again.

Sarah Palin should be included in any such polls, her support is rock-solid.

Pork-Chop on May 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM

How many commenters refused to participate owing to your overt exclusion of Sarah Palin?

ShainS on May 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Oldnuke on May 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I like Cruz and Walker too, but they’ve made lots of enemies.
Jindal seems to have all the conservative, and executive cred, w/o engendering all the animus.

What am I missing here?

mpower on May 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Toocon on May 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I love Governor Palin. Her fight against corruption and her proven reform are qualifications I wish more candidates had. I don’t believe she is running. Her mission is to change the culture. There is nothing wrong with that. It advances the cause. She has chosen to fight the enemy from a different angle. I am not happy about it but I respect her decision. I’ve moved on and I am not wasting any more precious time.

We can’t afford to wait. We have to unite behind a conservative and expose Smuckabee, Big Government Santorum, and Jeb’s corrupt Little waterboy for what their mission is, to split the conservative vote. The Dauphin Jeb will be the last man standing and we will have Etch-A-Sketch 2.0 To me that is unacceptable.

It’s time to stop playing into the corrupt crony capitalist gopE’s hands and stop being the STUPID party.

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM

mpower on May 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Apparently the rejoinder to Obama’s first State of the Union. For some reason that was a career killer that can never be forgiven (?) and must be brought up on a regular basis.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I think this country would have to be near collapse before the majority would say, “Help us Sarah Palin, you are our only hope”. I sure would like to see her in a cabinet position though. Secretary of Energy Palin, has a nice ring to it. Or the EPA, oohhhh, wouldn’t that be fun?

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Jon0815 on May 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

You noticed that, too?
I do support Scott Walker,
So, it’s all good, man!

Haiku Guy on May 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Is it wrong for me to want Ben Carson as our nominee just so I can go around calling everyone a racist for not supporting him? Man, that would be a good time!

crowmangler on May 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I not do pick Rand Paul as my acceptable alternative choice because of he said conservatives are racist for wanting people to show an ID when they vote.

Rand Paul is pandering TOO MUCH to socialist/progressive groups.

BroncosRock on May 21, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Scott Walker? Sure, why not. Just let another 5M+ voters sit on their hands next election like they did the last one. The thing about being in my 40′s is that I can still remember what the middle class used to look like before the economic polices of tax and spend liberals led to inflation and the devaluing of the USD.

My Mother and her coworkers at Ma Bell all had Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Today we’d call that a PPO, but POTUS calls it a Cadillac plan for evil 1%’ers and Walker calls that a Cadillac plan for evil union members.

Everyone at the phone company had a pension, and they all had good middle class wages that enabled them to pay off a home loan in 20 years, even at 15% APR.

In 2005 Cops, Firefighter, & Teachers could only afford a home in my area (Metro NY) if the household had two incomes and the loan was interest-only for the first 5 of a 30 year term even with an APR of only 6.25%.

So, instead of igniting the aspirational hopes of the middle class by vowing a return to the good ol’ days, Walker, Christy, Obama, etc. all say the same thing. ‘Those days are gone’; ‘Welcome to the new norm’; & ‘Aren’t you just so pissed off about that guy (1%’ers in the case of DNC/ Public employees in the case of RNC) getting more money/benefits than you?’

Awesome strategy for shooting ourselves in the foot. Again.

IamJacksHotAir on May 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM

IMHO, Scott Walker is a very strong candidate, because he was able to campaign on a conservative agenda, then after he was elected, he did what he said he was going to do, despite the opposition, and was able to convince a majority of voters in a bluish-purple state to keep him in office.

Scott Walker is conservative, but he’s also a very likeable candidate, not “in-your-face” as some others on the list, and this attracts independent voters needed to win an election. This was one of Reagan’s strengths–even people who disagreed with him liked him as a person, and this won him lots of votes.

As a Presidential (or VP) candidate, Walker, as Governor of Wisconsin, could help the ticket win crucial Midwestern states, not only Wisconsin, but neighboring Iowa and Michigan, and this would also help in Ohio.

Scott Walker would also make a great VP candidate, if teamed up with a Southerner like Perry, Jindal, or Cruz.

Steve Z on May 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I have lost favor with Rand Paul because he implied conservatives are racist for wanting people to show an ID when they vote.

He is pandering too much to the far left.

BroncosRock on May 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM

for me the top 3 choices are …
1. Bobby J.
2. Scott W.
3. Rick P.

I like Cruz … but I want him to be Senate Majority Leader.
jmho

conservative tarheel on May 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

…I didn’t do very well…as “Other”!

KOOLAID2 on May 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM

conservative tarheel on May 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I agree w/ your top 3-except that it would be Perry, Jindal, and Walker for me.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I want the EPA closed down.

I believe that Governor Palin has more support than the corrupt Bush Machine wants you to believe.

I don’t believe that Governor Palin wants to be anywhere near DC. I believe that she loves her life and wants to raise her children, share her husband’s life and that she just loves Alaska.

I also believe that she is fighting where she thinks she can be the most effective. She doesn’t have the ego most politicians have. It isn’t all about her. She will serve if called but reluctantly. Just like George Washington she wants to serve and than go home.

I am willing to give a closer look to the candidates she endorses but when she tells me that I have to unite behind an Etch-A-Sketch/Big Government Ryan ticket that is a step too far.

I can only hope that her endorsement of candidates will bring more reluctant true servants of the people to the District of Corruption who will drain the swamp.

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I agree w/ your top 3-except that it would be Perry, Jindal, and Walker for me.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Why do you still like Perry?

This is not criticism. I just am interested in your answer.

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Interesting.

The no chance in hell candidate that always wins these polls is in second place now.

Looks like more and more people actually want to win.

Moesart on May 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I think what gives Walker brownie points with me is that he managed to get his agenda through will fighting fleeing Democrats and constant lawsuits. And this agenda appears to be working.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

‘Cause she’s a Texan!

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Remember how goog Christy looked in 2010?

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 8:49 AM

At least to commenters on hotair:

Hey, I admire someone who is quick to mop up a mess. It beats the deer in the headlight looks we get from a lot of our guys when they get caught flatfooted.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM

sauldalinsky on May 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I agree. That’s why I like Walker too. I want him to come out against Amnesty though. I love that he is a governor with executive experience.

I think the only reason Christy had any support was because he chose to fight the corrupt Teachers Union not that he was a conservative.

‘Cause she’s a Texan!

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Geez, how can anyone still be stuck there!

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

sauldalinsky on May 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Good rhetorical skills rank low on my list for skills as a president. Plus that remark was pre-Sandy on his knees and speech at Republican convention.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Geez, how can anyone still be stuck there!

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I think you just started a war.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Question to fellow HA posters: what sort of communicator is Scott Walker? Does he handle himself well in a debate? Do you believe he could handle himself well and articulate conservative ideas/principles on the national stage?

Bob Davis on May 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Bob Davis on May 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I can’t say that I’ve seen a ton of him in action but what I have seen has been calm and seemingly unflappable. We need some folks from Wisconsin to weigh in.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM

sauldalinsky on May 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Oh and by the way…..nice try.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

The government in Texas is pretty inconsequential.
Wouldn’t it be nice if the Federal government was inconsequential too.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Stuck threre?
Minimal union activity, no state income tax, low unemployment, pro-second amendment, few infanticide centers,governor and AG so tough that they need Texas-sized pick-ups to tote their uber-sized ballz around….what’s not to like.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Yes, ma’am, it would indeed be awesome.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Jayrae on May 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

‘Cause she’s a Texan!

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Jobs

Conservative Leadership over the long haul

Budget Pitbull

Anti-Obamacare

10th Amendment

Energy

Border Security First

Military Background

Agricultural Background in Business and Administrative

10K College Degrees

If Perry was President he’d shrink as much Govt. bloat as he could legally…especially agencies in the executive.

All Politicians have flaws and make mistakes…Most of Perry’s in his record didn’t effect Texans when he listened to the voters….imho

Overall he has a good governance record and a steady conservative trajectory since his days in the legislature.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM

I’m convinced. I liked him last time.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Rubio could have won this poll – UNTIL he stood with McCain, Schumer, Durbin, Graham…etc.

What a waste. What a sellout.

golds1 on May 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Mitt Romney is damaged goods IMO, with no chance of redemption politically on the national stage (unless he changed parties and gave millions to the DNC).

I don’t think he’s a bad guy, and would vote for him myself if selected as the Republican nominee, but it would be a futile vote IMO. I don’t think he has a cow’s chance in Jurassic Park of winning in the general election.

Democrats know this well, will use the same proven and effective formulas again if he is nominated. They have a compelling interest in doing their best to make him the Republican nominee.

s1im on May 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Gov. Perry is also the only candidate I’m aware of that has had extensive experience in legislative…administrative…and executive levels of government…all of these elected positions.

State Legislator

Agricultural Commissioner

Lt. Governor

Governor

Not bad for the son of a cotton farmer/rancher…and an Aggie.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM

golds1 on May 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM

While I am not the least bit interested in Rubio as president, his experience so mirroring Obama’s as to be discomforting, I’m going to give him a Mulligan on the amnesty FUBAR. But he only gets one.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I feel the same way.

Conservative_Hippie on May 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I’m convinced. I liked him last time.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM

If he was in it just for himself…he’d be a lot richer…like Reid or Pelosi.

I think overall he’s pretty solid and much smarter than he’s given credit for.

He had some kick-ass policy proposals last time and maybe the country is ready to listen?

He’s usually good at spotting other smart folks…even those from the other side if there’s a shared vision on an issue or problem and he’ll coax them into working with him for the interests of Texas.

In short he’s a common sense conservative…and he’s not from the pampered elite class of political dynasties and manufactured ideologues.

He’s done fine for Texas overall and at this point he’s got nothing to lose and nothing to effect his legacy in Texas since Abbott will likely win.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM

SayNo2-O on May 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I feel the same way.

Conservative_Hippie on May 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I like Walker.

I think Energy/economy and Border Security are big issues though…and I’d prefer a governor who understands that.

Perry

Jindal

For example.

workingclass artist on May 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Very interesting poll..Thanks Patrick..:)

Dire Straits on May 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

perhaps some one has already suggested this but the next time include a question that if your choice didn’t win the primary would you vote for the winner or not vote at all …

bilker on May 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM