The GOP’s “civil war” is over, and the tea party has “swallowed the establishment” — according to Debbie Wasserman Schultz

posted at 6:01 pm on May 20, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

The Democratic National Committee Chairwoman was vexed, you see, when MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell so baldly revealed Democrats’ super double-secret strategy to label every possible member of the rather large Republican family as a crazed, uncompromising, and basically inhuman “extremist,” and that the number of tea-party candidates that may lose their primaries tonight might make carrying out said strategy a tad more difficult. According to Wasserman Schultz, however, we’re all tea partiers now — and seeing as how that obviously means that we have all become so “extreme” that we’ve fallen clean off the rightward side of the political spectrum, you should probably just give in this fall and join the group of highly civilized über-centrists that is the modern Democratic party.

ANDREA MITCHELL: We’ve talked about Kentucky and Georiga where Michelle Nunn and Alison Lundergan Grimes are really good candidates for the fall, but you’ve also got some cases where, first of all, tea party candidates are not doing as well as some had predicted, and if they do lose, you’re going to have some mainstream candidates. So, you’re not going to have the benefit of sort of the wild-eyed Republicans that have helped you hang on to the Senate. And you’ve also got some cases where there are some strong Republican women in Michigan and Oregon and elsewhere, West Virginia, who are going to create some really good opportunities for Republicans to pick up women’s votes.

DEBBIE WASSERMAN SCHULTZ: Well, let me just sort of steer you in another direction on the frame that you laid out there on the tea party. The civil war that’s been raging in the Republican party is really over. The tea party has won it, and essentially they have swallowed the establishment. They’ve pulled all of the Republicans in any primary field so far to the right that they all embrace varying degrees of extremism, and that’s demonstrative in the agendas that many of these candidates have proposed or that they’ve actually supported as elected officials. So, the contrast with our Democratic candidates, whether they’re incumbents or challengers, is very clear. When it comes to Mitch McConnell today, you know, OK, so he’ll win his primary. That is not a victory for the establishment.

Comments

Deranged.

KCB on May 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

My word, what a thoroughly wretched woman.

Cleombrotus on May 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Okay. Which of you Congressional districts elected a retarded child to Congress?

Florida, I’m looking at you…

JohnGalt23 on May 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Remember their definition of “Tea Party” is anyone that doesn’t want to grow the government at less then 10% per year.

Oil Can on May 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

DWS.

Bless her heart…

EvilMonk on May 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

The one time I wish she was telling the truth.

Ted Torgerson on May 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

According to Wasserman Schultz, however, we’re all tea partiers now —

Can I be the one to tell Allahpundit that he’s a tea partier? He might be less scared of Ted Cruz once he finds out that they’re on the same team. ;0

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Oh, if that were only true Little Debby Nut Cake.

LoganSix on May 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Dear Debbie labels everyone without a D after their name an “extremist”.

Yet it’s not extreme to support abortions at any stage of pregnancy and for any reason. It’s not extreme to spend trillions of dollars every year either.

cat_owner on May 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Why would anyone make this woman the face of the party? The fact that anyone would listen to her or believe a word she says is beyond me.

KCB on May 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I must say, dear, that you look like you swallowed a horny toad.

Lincoln Cadillac on May 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM

So Mitch McConnell lost?

rbj on May 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Florida, I’m looking at you…

JohnGalt23 on May 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Hey if you want the whole list you need to be looking at more than just Florida! Hank Johnson ring a bell?

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

If Tea Party won then why is Boehner still threatening amnesty?

Decaf on May 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Almost any D district in any state.

Decaf on May 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Can’t she be committed for observation for 72 hours without her consent?

BobMbx on May 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I always chuckle a little when Rush calls her “Debbie Blabbermouth Schultz”

Capricio on May 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Can’t she be committed for observation for 72 hours without her consent?

BobMbx on May 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Where would you find anybody who could stand to observe her for that long?

backwoods conservative on May 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Only in the Democrat-MSM echo chamber could “the Republican establishment” be considered to be a term of sympathy.

HitNRun on May 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Odd. No mention of the Koch Brothers. As in: “The Koch Brothers have swallowed the GOP establishment.” Leaving that to the Senate Majority Lunatic, I expect.

de rigueur on May 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM

That would explain the indigestion.

kcewa on May 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM

The magnitude of her BS reminds me of Harry Reid, but she lacks his immense personal charm and charisma.

novaculus on May 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Florida, I’m looking at you…

JohnGalt23 on May 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

The thing with Floridas congressional delegation is this: The state is so full of idiots that we vote the most egregious cases into Congress just to get them out of here. Its only a drop in the bucket, but well… we re desperate down here…

Red Widow on May 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, Erika, the GOP civil war is just starting.

I find funny the assumption by the GOP Establishment that if they manage to survive their primaries, they will automatically have a united party behind them.

I strongly doubt it.

The real shocker for the GOP Establishment will be in the fall when their party base refuses to show up and their dreams of getting a Senate majority evaporate into thin air. McConnell and the other dinosaurs will most likely lose their races.

And I will be sitting glued to my TV set listening to how Karl Rove will spin it.

TheRightMan on May 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

The one time I wish DWS was right and she’s still wrong.

Occams Stubble on May 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

The truly sad thing is that I’ve seen/heard nothing about a challenger to her in her district. I’ve also read she’s eyeing the Senate seat in 2016! Ugh

CoffeeLover on May 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Can you imagine waking up next to this vile and disgusting creature?

acyl72 on May 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

CoffeeLover on May 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Which is odd, because there is a plethora of video to make campaign ads… Maybe I should move to her district…

PointnClick on May 20, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Hype. Nothing to see here move along

jake49 on May 20, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Debbie Was-A-Man Schultz.

TarheelBen on May 20, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I think all the perm lotion has seeped through her brain…

sandee on May 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Patience is a virtue.

Bmore on May 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM

CoffeeLover on May 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Well, on the one side, she’ll be going from a district of Florida (that’s plainly populated with mouth breathing morons) to a state wide election….

On the other side…it’s Florida.

BigWyo on May 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Blonde Darth Vader Helmet….

Seriously…look at it.

BigWyo on May 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Seriously? Andrea thinks they are really good candidates? I wonder if she has ever said that about a GOP candidate? How about when Cruz was running? What does she think of Wehby in OR? Or others?

Tater Salad on May 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Red Widow on May 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Bravissima!

Jayrae on May 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Her medication is seriously not working. Intervention time has long past.

BigWyo on May 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Dude, her brain on drugs. Seriously.

This is metaphor – the poor lady is CRYING OUT for help, people.

Chuck Ef on May 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM

With all of the outstanding salons we have here in south Florida why does Wasserman Dipshit continue to patronize the same incompetent dipshit?

She is Fugly but at least her hair can look presentable.

Jayrae on May 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM

She’s not wrong.

libfreeordie on May 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Blonde Darth Vader Helmet….

Seriously…look at it.

BigWyo on May 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Nope.

Not prudent.

Not gonna do it.

If only to preserve my sight and some semblance of my sanity.

3 second glance at Medusa at the headline was way more than enough.

hawkeye54 on May 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM

They’ve pulled all of the Republicans in any primary field so far to the right

Bwaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaa

She’s not wrong.

libfreeordie on May 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM

OMG BWwwwwwwwwahaaaaaaa

melle1228 on May 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I Looked.

I’m BLIND!

Tard on May 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Bmore on May 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Give Schadenfreude some love.. He is totally unfailing loyal to you, and shows love to you daily on these threads. :)

melle1228 on May 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM

The only thing DWS swallows is The One’s…oh, never mind, ‘he’ doesn’t have one.

vnvet on May 20, 2014 at 7:13 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.

lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I gotta give it to you mofo, you have a way with words.

slickwillie2001 on May 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Silver lining?

Next time some poor ill-prepared GOP sap finds himself being sandbagged by a tv talking head with some new report on “Republican vs. Tea Party infighting,” the proper reply should be: “Oh, pooh! Even the DNC Charwoman has declared that ‘civil war’ over.”

A snarky sandbagger might follow up with something like: “And who won?” To which the GOPer may respond with a broad grin: “Everyone, of course. The American people win!”

(Look, lying’s part of the profession on both sides of the mic, so don’t complain to me… )

de rigueur on May 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM

She is Fugly but at least her hair can look presentable.

Jayrae on May 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM

She’s pursuing the bird vote by offering free housing.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I Looked.

I’m BLIND!

Tard on May 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM

All things considered, you could have been turned to stone.

hawkeye54 on May 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM

If only

Fallon on May 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM

She makes me think of Fleischmann’s every time I see her pic.

docflash on May 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Florida, I’m looking at you…

JohnGalt23 on May 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Don’t blame all of us that live in this pig’s district. I was in Allen West’s district until they redistricted in 12. The problem is that this area is predominantly dimoturd which is to say a great many of these people’s parents were related to each other at the time of procreation. A lot of it is brother/sister but there is some cousin lovin thrown in there too. Unfortunately we get a lot of the dimoturd filth from NY in this area and much like the cockroaches they are they destroy it just like they destroyed the state where they came from. As long as this Crisco haired fool wants to run for office in this district these anus clowns will keep voting for her it is what it is.

bbinfl on May 20, 2014 at 7:35 PM

She’s not wrong.

libfreeordie on May 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM

What you not out there helping your democrat brothers and sisters help kill off more veterans at the hospitals? Did you kill your quota for the day already? You filthy hateful roaches should clean your own pathetic excuse of a party before you whine about others.

bbinfl on May 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM

She makes me think of Fleischmann’s every time I see her pic.

docflash on May 20, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I think about the alligator-hunting show on THC.

slickwillie2001 on May 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I do not think that word means what she thinks it means.

Except, of course, she knows perfectly well what it means.
She’s just mad there are still Republicans in the establishment.

AesopFan on May 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Good old fuzz brain…..

crosshugger on May 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Deranged.

KCB on May 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Dear Lord, I never thought I’d say these words, but From Debbie Wasserman-Schultz’s Lips to God’s Ear!

Jaibones on May 20, 2014 at 7:55 PM

She’s not wrong.

libfreeordie on May 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM

You poor, sad little wretch.

Jaibones on May 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Like Harry Reid isn’t establishment. Give me a break.

COgirl on May 20, 2014 at 7:57 PM

And since when do you give even the slightest credence to anything emanating from this moron.

rplat on May 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Debbie WashItDownWith Schlitz: …They’ve pulled all of the Republicans in any primary field so far to the right that they all embrace varying degrees of extremism…

What I get from that:
1) It’s okay with the Dem national spokesperson to define one’s opponent
2) Be sure when defining your opponent to go way to the extreme
3) Call that their normal and then ridicule it

Got it.
Therefore, the Occupy Wall Street crowd has pulled the Dem party so far to the left that they are extremists. Evidence is clear, and denying it only proves my point.

Is that really the Dem national platform, Debs?

DublOh7 on May 20, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Does anyone know if Deb uses conventional or fully synthetic motor oil in her hair? Since she is on the cutting edge of modern American fashion and style, I’m thinking about going with the “slimy, leaves a stain on the pillowcase” hair coating too.

acetylene420 on May 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM

…she needs a sock put in her mouth!……………I just can’t do that!….to the sock!

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM

How can anybody listen to Dems on “The Tea Party” without getting whiplash?

Oh they’re so unpopular–even among Republicans. No, they rule the Republican party and force the Republican party to “hold America hostage”. No, their influence is dying out. No, they RULE the Republican party again…

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Axeman on May 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM

acyl72 on May 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Dude. I think you really owe us all an apology.

Seriously. d:

S. D. on May 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM

If anything can show the Dems to be Times-Square-schizophrenic crazy, it’s this topic.

Axeman on May 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Settled [political] science…

mjbrooks3 on May 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM

acetylene420 on May 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM

OMG, ROFLMAO :)…I am not even sure I was born when that hair style was hawt :) actually I am starting to doubt that it was ever a trend, too gross…

jimver on May 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

This may be the proverbial chicken or egg question but is the Left worldview only arrived at by lying to yourself or is the propensity to lie to yourself a mere byproduct of being a Lefty?

anuts on May 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM

You can tell she’s blowing smoke….
Look at those lips.

avagreen on May 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Look at those lips.

avagreen on May 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Yeah, no.

I think I’ll pass.

S. D. on May 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

She is a very lifelike robot. DARPA needs to get their rogue android under control and fix its logic circuits. A lightning strike must have burned them out.

Asurea on May 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

anuts on May 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM

jimver on May 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM

You can tell she’s blowing smoke….
Look at those lips.

avagreen on May 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM

tanked59 on May 20, 2014 at 10:17 PM

You can tell she’s blowing smoke….
Look at those lips.

avagreen on May 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Isn’t “smoke” the Secret Service codename for Obama?

tanked59 on May 20, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Hold on. Before I comment i need to take a Debbie, and wipe my Schultz.

F_This on May 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Yes, Debbie, from your point if view waaaay over there on the far left, everyone else looks like Tea Party crazies, right?

Techster64 on May 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM

swallowed … Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Hey whoa how about a trigger warning! Dang.

Kenosha Kid on May 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Why do we report what these people say as if its meaningful?

Who is even the republican version of this?… I don’t even know their name and couldn’t pick them out of a crowd if you showed them to me.

Seriously… who gives a crap what this chick says about anything. She’s no one. And everything she says is just the recent talking points. So what… we don’t need to go to her to get them.

Karmashock on May 21, 2014 at 4:23 AM

Currently running headline on CNN: Is the Tea Party over.

So it has “swallowed” the establishment AND has been defeated? It’ll take a lot of drugs to reconcile this…

apostic on May 21, 2014 at 5:04 AM

I’m confused: last week the talking point was that the Tea Party was over and not-to-be-taken-seriously.

The Schaef on May 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM

As posted on another thread. Warren/DWS 2016

Goodie on May 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Wow did yesterdays elections just put the lie to DWS latest meme.

neyney on May 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM