Blogger’s wife: Chris McDaniel asked him to take down the video of Thad Cochran’s wife right after it went up

posted at 3:21 pm on May 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via TPM, can’t prove that she’s telling the truth but this does jibe with what we already know about the McDaniel camp reacting quickly, and emphatically negatively, to the video of Rose Cochran after they found out about it. Which makes sense even if you’re unwilling to believe that McDaniel wouldn’t condone a hit this nasty: From his standpoint, the risk of a ferocious backlash from conspiring in something like this is much greater than the political reward he’d get from making an old man’s tragic personal life an issue. The Kellys really have no reason to cover for McDaniel either. Granted, they both support him against Cochran, but the quickest ticket out of legal trouble right now would be to point the finger at McDaniel and try to make a deal with the DA. Instead, here’s Kelly’s wife confirming that McDaniel wanted the video down almost as soon as it went up. Unless they’re very loyal soldiers for a campaign they’re not even affiliated with, Occam’s razor suggests she’s telling the truth.

Tara Kelly said her husband was working to get the “Constitutional Clayton” blog and YouTube channel off the ground when he received tips from “someone on the Internet” accusing Thad Cochran of having an affair.

“They gave him information as to where Rose Cochran was staying, as well as other information,” Tara Kelly said. “… I wish I could tell you the names of these people on the Internet that gave my husband this information. But I don’t know and can only hope it comes out who they are.”…

“Now, here’s where it gets tricky,” Tara Kelly said. “The video was up for about an hour and a half when Clayton received word, either through Facebook or the phone, I’m not sure, that ‘the big man,’ meaning Chris McDaniel, wanted it taken down. The exact words, I remember Clayton told me, were ‘the big man himself says take it down.’ Clayton was already going to take it down but did so at that time.”

[Kelly's lawyer Kevin] Camp, however, said his client took down the video when the responses were more about the photos of Rose Cochran than about the message of the video.

Three lingering questions. One: Why does Kelly’s lawyer have a different explanation for why the video came down? Two: How did Kelly get inside the nursing home to see Rose Cochran in the first place? He didn’t sneak in, says his wife, and they’ve got the parking pass from the nursing home to prove it. And three, most importantly: Who’s the nefarious malefactor who nudged Kelly to go shoot some video of Rose Cochran in the first place? Evidently there’s some Iago out there who was whispering in his virtual ear about making a name for himself in blogging and thought that videotaping an old lady with dementia was a smart place to start. What’s that person’s motive?

Comments

But its all good!

He was having an affair!

cozmo on May 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Cripe

cmsinaz on May 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Chris McDaniel is mad about this.

faraway on May 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

The Clarion Ledger is in the tank big time for Cochran. It has the same exact format as USA Today so I’m guessing they are owned by the same company.

Wigglesworth on May 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Hmmm – maybe the same “nefarious malefactor” who knew about the break-in for weeks, who knew about the video for weeks, who didn’t contact the police for weeks, who did not take any action to have the video taken down for weeks, and who has spent the last few days desperately trying to connect Kelly’s actions to McDaniel?

Just a thought.

Pork-Chop on May 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Just because he has a parking pass does not mean he is innocent and did not intend to do this from the start. He went there for a purpose and that purpose was obviously to take the video.

Sneaking in or not, it appears he violated the law by her admission which is a stupid thing to say while being recorded. Maybe they will drop the trespassing charge.

Johnnyreb on May 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Ummmmm… I think what Allah wrote is misleading. McDaniel himself didn’t ask him to take it down. It was somebody in his staff who got the word out.

dforston on May 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Does McDaniel call himself, “the big man”…?

d1carter on May 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM

On the plus side, they have a nice turtle.

JeremiahJohnson on May 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I say we let the east coast cabal of journolisters and assorted bloggers hash it out amongst theyselves

DanMan on May 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Allah -
What is your dog in this fight?
You seem to be stuck in the ‘just asking questions’ phase.
It seems that McDaniels isn’t behind the video and indeed his staff offered no support for it or the methods behind it.
Got it. How decent of him and them.
But you seem to be angling for something more conspiratorial from Conchran’s side.
Could you just come out with it? Can you lay out the nefarious and devious possibility, with some ‘what if’ and ‘let’s just imagine.
Or are you just trying to paint a picture of McDaniels’s as ‘the world’s most admirable man evah!’ because he saw stupid as stupid?
(I too am just asking questions.)

verbaluce on May 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Chris McDaniel is mad about this.

faraway on May 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

…isn’t he “madder than anybody”?

KOOLAID2 on May 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Hero-Deep; it’s all gude Kokran wuz having an a-fair… so photographing his wife is A-Ok in my bukk

Just thought I’d get that out of the way, so others do’t have to belabour the point.

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I’m not pushing any angle. It looks like McDaniel and his team had nothing to do with this, and yet someone was egging Kelly on to videotape Rose Cochran. Who, and why? What was the motive? You don’t find that question interesting?

Allahpundit on May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

[Johnnyreb on May 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM]

Pretty much. I don’t know about this particular nursing home and those in the state of Missouri, but here in NY and the few I’ve visited, parking pass means nothing. You sign in when you enter, indicating who you will visit and what your relationship is to the person you are visiting. Some times there is a purpose column, an address column and/or a phone number column. You then get a pass to proceed past the entrance desk.

Let’s see the wife explain she has that pass and the info entered into the log.

Something I would ask of that nursing home is, was there a list of approved visitors to Cochran’s wife. Being a Senator, the chances are good he’d had one made to screen/limit visitors.

Dusty on May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

You don’t find that question interesting?

Allahpundit on May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Not really.

It could have been a voyeuristic video game for all I care.
Looking for conspiracies where possibly none exist.

cozmo on May 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM

No Allah, I don’t wonder, why would you? The Blogger is an obsessive nut-case, he didn’t need any encouragement.

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Well, we found out verbaluce isn’t one of Allah’s socks, unless he’s playing a much deeper game than we can handle.

butch on May 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Allah, did Laughter need any encouragement or that fellow who hacked Palin’s emails? Or the fellow that camped next door to Palin or Andrew Sullivan uncovering the “truth” about Trigg? Uh no, crazees gonna be crazy.

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:20 PM

This isn’t new. People within the McDaniel campaign knew about it ( including his campaign manager) and worked to get the video removed ( something Cochran’s campaign didn’t do by the way)

Meanwhile it is entirely plausible that other people within the McDaniel campaign didn’t know and that McDaniel himself wasn’t informed.

It is also possible that everyone within the campaign knew of the video, but some ( such as McDaniel himself) didn’t know of the arrest for quite some time ( which happened two weeks after the video).

What we do know is that the Cochran campaign informed both Sen. Cochran and his lawyers ( and apparently also the NRSC) of what happened with the video ( the making thereof etc.) and that for two weeks the Lawyers of the Cochran campaign sat on the info. and declined to pursue legal charges.

We also know that Mrs. Kelley is relaying to us secondhand info. about what her husband supposedly heard. And we know that said husband thinks Glenn Beck is a CIA operative.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM

The man probably thinks you’re Osama Bin Laden AP. So my guess is no one but perhaps another crazy blogger encouraged him to do anything.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM

MWC_RS, Beck ISN’T a CIA Operative? Alex Jones & Dave Emory think he is, & that’s pretty authoritative.

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM

His wife is an innocent, her privacy should be protected. ( though I should note NRSC hack Brian Walsh thinks Thad is the victim here instead of Rose)

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:24 PM

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM

You think Alex Jones is an authority?!?!? WTF!

I’m going to ignore you for now on then.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

From what I hear, it looks like the McDaniel Campaign did more to protect Mrs. Cochran’s privacy and dignity then Cochran did.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Okay, I’ll bite:

A terribly misguided conservative who’s too clever by half an looking to paint the left with their embracing of this foulness…?

EvilMonk on May 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM

MWC_RS…please check yurt sarcasm meter it is in need of calibration…. yeah I listen to Alex Jones daily… from my mom’s basement, with the radio antenna just poked thru the tiniest hole in the tin-foil lining all the windows.

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Wigglesworth on May 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Yes, that’s very apparent. Every story I’ve seen there has been very slanted in favor of Cochrane.

cat_owner on May 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I think MWC_RS is wound a little too tight on this.

cozmo on May 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

The Blogger is an obsessive nut-case, he didn’t need any encouragement.

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM

This is most likely the case – HOWEVER – it’s very interesting that ‘Team Cochran’ is not saying this, but instead, is trying to paint Kelly as some sort of secret agent, working for McDaniel.

Cochran is trying to use this “break-in” / video to his benefit, instead of just denouncing it and Kelly.

Pork-Chop on May 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Wigglesworth on May 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Gannet Company owns USA today, and a bunch of local papers ( including every major OH paper Cleveland Plain Dealer, Columbus Dispatch, and Cincinnati Enquirer)

They also own the Indianapolis Star and in 2012 were heavy in the tank for Lugar, and after 6 months declared lying weasel Donnelly a “good choice” for Indiana.

They’ve also opposed every conservative iniatitve of Gov. Mike Pence including his 5% tax cut, his expansion of school vouchers, his phasing out the business tax, his supposed “rebranding” of common core ( they favor straight up common core), his expansion of HIP ( which conservatives call Medicaid but isn’t) they favor instead an expansion of Medicaid proper.

They hated Mitch Daniels originally but towards the end declared they *loved* him.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM

cat_owner on May 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, I’ll cop to being wound up tight. And I’m admittedly pro-McDaniel.

We need to beat at least one incumbent R in the primaries and Cochran is the only one who hasn’t rented out the McCain 2010 campaign ( that every successful primary survivor has)

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Pork-Chop it’s easier to see that Cochran’s posse is very smart & using this to tar McDaniel… you know taking advantage of the circumstances or making lemonade out of lemons… rather than positing some “conspiracy.”

Hey crazy blogger photographs my wife…I see how I can turn this to my advantage…. it plays smoother than thinking someone, some dark figure was “behind” the whole thing… just say’n.

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM

cat_owner on May 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM

The local papers will always support squishy Rs in deep red states because they know a Democrat can’t get elected there.

Occasionally they’ll oppose a Democrat if they realize how much the average citizen of said Redstate hates the D incumbent ( like 2010 in Arkansas)

Indy Star supported Coats despite Coats being a fairly strong social conservative ( and a reformed fiscal liberal imo)

They only did so because they saw which way the wind was blowing.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:35 PM

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Yes. And I agree with McDaniel 100% here:

He also pressed Cochran on why he waited for nearly three weeks after learning about the incident before reporting it to police.
“If someone were to break into, or come into, or acquire a picture of my mom or of my wife, I don’t wait three weeks to file charges,” McDaniel said. “I don’t wait until two weeks from the primary date to file charges. I file charges that day.”

cat_owner on May 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Allahpundit on May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I just don’t see too much of a mystery. Can’t say who…but my cynicism doesn’t allow for much pondering on the why.
The Blogger sounds like your typical poli-blogger wannabe.
(Present company excluded!)

P.S.
Why a satanism pic as an illustration for an atheism post? As you are well aware, atheists are not hooven.

verbaluce on May 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

JFKY on May 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I think that the BIG problem here is that Cochran didn’t take ANY action – for weeks. His lawyers knew about the ‘break-in’ and the video – which means that Cochran knew – and yet, they took no action. WHY? I think this question really needs to be answered. I have been shocked at how Cochran and his team have handled this – they are blatantly exploiting this whole tragic situation – a situation which should not be exploited by anyone.

Pork-Chop on May 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM

butch on May 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM

It wouldn’t need to be that deep a game.
(joking…joking)

– Verballah

verbaluce on May 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Wigglesworth on May 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Both Gannett newspapers, as is the Hattiesburg-American that was linked earlier in the headlines on this exact story.

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 20, 2014 at 4:48 PM

So when a random blogger does something against the wishes of a political candidate it is a scandal for said candidate?

However, when a government bureaucrat illegally leaks the files of someone who caused an issue for a President (Joe the Plumber, Paula Jones, Linda Tripp, etc) that has nothing to do with said president?

18-1 on May 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Allahpundit on May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

The voices in Kelly’s head?

Illinidiva on May 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Yeah, I’ll cop to being wound up tight. And I’m admittedly pro-McDaniel.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Couldn’t agree more. Looks like McDaniel is our last big chance to oust an establishment R Senator. It’s ridiculous to know he’s been in Congress since Nixon was POTUS, and at the age of 76 wants another six years.

Plus, he’s no conservative. Sure hope McDaniel wins. He will be another Ted Cruz.

cat_owner on May 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 4:35 PM

They probably like the RINOs too because they bring home billions of dollars in pork for their states. I guess papers in deep red states like MS will support RINOs because they aren’t stupid enough to be in the tank for Ds.

cat_owner on May 20, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Well … Ed’s column yesterday pretty much condemned McDaniel.

I hope he takes that back.

HondaV65 on May 20, 2014 at 5:21 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 20, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I suspected as much, Koch’s should’ve bought Gannet company rather then trying to by the Tribune and LA times.

It would’ve attracted less attention and been 10X more effective ideologically.

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Also, someone suggested Cochran is only being used by the Barbour machine, that initially he wanted to retire, but apparently word got out McDaniel was running and the Barbours figured Cochran would stand a better chance than any other R in beating McDaniel.
The NRSC would’ve had to remain at least somewhat neutral in an open race like they did in Nebraska ( to some extent) and Tea partiers are more successful in those kind of contests ( Johnson, Rubio, Cruz, Paul, etc.)

MWC_RS on May 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I’m going to get to the basic underlying issue here. Rose Cochran has serious dementia sufficient for her to be in a care facility for over a decade. I do not know anything of the relationship of Thad and Rose but living with someone with serious dementia means your life is frozen. He had 3 choices – Freeze his life (this would be for like 15 years now), stay married but live his life, or get a Divorce.

Our society often says “Get the Divorce” if you wish to have other partners in one’s life. But this could be devastating to Rose, it is his health care policy that is very, very good. Would she understand, no. Did he discuss and decide with his children.

Marriage vows say “until death do we part” but it should be today “until death or divorce…” Shouldn’t we look and see if what is done is done with a good heart or whether it was low.

I know this very well – my wife has dementia and lives with her sister, I handle the finances. I didn’t have the strength to freeze my life. I considered a divorce and it was very unfair to her so I did not. Yes I now have a girlfriend, our kids and her sister know but my wife doesn’t. It was the best of a number of lousy decisions, but I am making sure her care and happiness in the end years of her life are as good as possible.

Jay Galt on May 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Allahpundit on May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Keep in mind that there’s a pecking order in Mississippi, and McDaniel is seen as trying to leapfrog everybody in front of him. Remember that Cochran is 76, and would be 82 at the end of his next term. He has no intention of being an 82-year-old senator. The plan was for Cochran to get re-elected, then resign in a couple of years, after which Governor Phil Bryant would appoint his successor. The bench is deep – from Lt. Givernor Tate Reeves, to SecState Delbert Hosemann, Speaker Phillip Gunn, MS-3 congressman Gregg Harper… There is no shortage of well-qualified successors to Coachran’s seat. Then there is the matter who coordinates the bench and calls the players’ numbers.

greggriffith on May 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Jay Galt on May 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM

It would probably hurt Mrs. Cochran’s chances of premium care if they got divorce. I personally can’t get excited about Sen Cochran having a girlfriend, although why the taxpayer has to subsidized the relationship is a tad annoying. I can’t in my heart believe that a husband would have anything to do with this but I really dislike that Sen. Cochran is taking advantage of the situation and vilifying Sen. McDaniel.

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Just some info about St. Catherine’s Village: it is the state’s most expensive and most exclusive facility of its kind. It is fairly secure. It’s ringed by fences and you have to pass through a gate where you are greeted by a guard. “One does not simply walk into St. Catherine’s.”

Now, none of that means that someone like this blogger fellow couldn’t enter by saying he was so-and-so’s grandson, or nephew, or whatever; since the facility specializes in Alzheimers patients, the security was designed as much to keep patients from wandering off site, as it was to keep unauthorized visitors from wandering in.

greggriffith on May 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM

greggriffith on May 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Sounds just like the right situation where someone needs to leapfrog in front.

Cindy Munford on May 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM

The main question that needs to be answered next is: Who was feeding this blogger the info about the affair, and egging him on to do a piece on it?

I suspect the investigators already know this, or they’re very close to finding out. Remember that Cochran is one of the most powerful senators in America – you can rest assured that one or more highly-qualified agencies is all over this, and that they have the blogger’s phone and computer. If they decide to make the identities of those people known, it will be the most important development so far.

greggriffith on May 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

greggriffith on May 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM

maybe someone working in the nursing home egged Kelly on and let him in to film Mrs. Cochran.

gracie on May 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Jay Galt on May 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Heart-rending, and bless you for your care for your wife.
It is this kind of situation (thankfully rare) which seems to me to be the only valid justification for decriminalizing bigamy, so that the ill wife and the understanding girlfriend can both have legal and social standing as spouses.
(Robert Graves, the great British poet, was separated from his wife after only a few years of marriage, and she refused to grant him a divorce. He had in later life a companion, whom he introduced as “my wife, of courtesy” which seems to be an elegant formulation.)

AesopFan on May 21, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Maybe they will drop the trespassing charge.

Johnnyreb on May 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

He was charged with trespassing? The article yesterday indicated it was something like “taking advantage of a vulnerable adult”

cptacek on May 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM