Video: White House solves VA problem. “No question” this was a termination

posted at 5:01 pm on May 18, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Good news, citizens! All is well! The White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough sat down with Major Garrett on CBS this morning to clarify once and for all that the recent termination at the VA was absolutely not, in any way shape or form, even in the slightest, to be construed as as a scapegoat who was about to retire anyway taking the hit for the VA scandals. Video from Real Clear Politics:

DENIS MCDONOUGH: Well, Secretary Shinseki accepted Dr. Petzel’s resignation this afternoon. He was due to retire early next month and obviously there has been a nomination made for his replacement. I leave to Rick the explanation of his decision, but there is no question that this is a termination of his job there before he was planning to go.

MAJOR GARRETT, CBS NEWS: So the President is unhappy?

DM: I think… you heard what Secretary Shinseki said yesterday, which was that he’s mad as hell. And the President is madder than hell. And I’ve got the scars to prove it, given the briefings that I’ve given the President, the conversations that he and Rick and I have had on these matters. So is one step, as important as it is, like this one sufficient? We’ll continue to look at that. But at the same time that we’re looking at accountability we want to be able to continue to perform and provide our veterans the services that they have earned.

I’m not sure, but did we just hear a version of, what more do you want from us? We fired the guy. Nothing to see here, move along.

The President is madder than hell about something, but from the tone that McDonogh is taking, it sounds like it’s because he’s being distracted from golfing his many other important duties. Still, they had to trot the Chief of Staff out for the Sunday rituals, so at least the situation seems to have his attention for now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hope this stays in the headlines and sticks to 0bama like superglue…

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Yep, you knew that when he saw it on the TV at the 19th hole bar he would be “mad as hell”.

kcewa on May 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Good thing Obama is lawyering up. He has a lot of explaining to do.

John the Libertarian on May 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Madder than hell he missed a 3ft putt. Now that I can believe.

Kissmygrits on May 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM

2014:

‘I think… you heard what Secretary Shinseki said yesterday, which was that he’s mad as hell. And the President is madder than hell. And I’ve got the scars to prove it, given the briefings that I’ve given the President, the conversations that he and Rick and I have had on these matters. So is one step, as important as it is, like this one sufficient? We’ll continue to look at that. But at the same time that we’re looking at accountability we want to be able to continue to perform and provide our veterans the services that they have earned.’

- Denis McDonough

2015:

Dude, that’s soooo 2014. Can’t we move on?

- Denis McDonough

Resist We Much on May 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I notice he was not mad enough to miss the links. I truely hope this does not cause him to increase his handicap. There is a strong case being made to impeach this want to be President who has tried to usurp the Constitution. He has not kept his vows to faithfully execute the laws and uphold the constitution. That is a high crime.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on May 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Weak tea…

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM

“Nobody is more outraged about these allegations than the president of the United States.”

Not that he’s bothered himself to actually say or do anything.

And of course it’s just the “allegations” that he’s mad about.

kcewa on May 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I wish I could believe the president.

RI_Red on May 18, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Get out…You’re Finished!!!!

Enjoy your retirement and generous pension for a job well done.

trs on May 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

POSTED AT 5:01 PM ON MAY 18, 2014 BY JAZZ SHAW

Show me the scars to prove it. I’m sure the dead vets could have shown them…

Maybe one of the dumber analogies I’ve ever heard.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

65 million plus voted for an incompetent unqualified boob. Twice. And would probably do it again. The American presidency is not a test vat for social engineering, my LIV friends. It will cost you.

Judge_Dredd on May 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM

But is he mad enough to fix why this was happening in the first place. No, we won’t even find out the root cause because they don’t need to answer any more questions now and the administration will attack anyone who dares to ask them.

KW64 on May 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM

” . . . the President is madder than hell.” How many scandals are there now, before we have heard these word uttered? Oh, I sure he is plenty mad. The question is about what?

VALman on May 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Madder then hell that they got caught…

sandee on May 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM

That’s what it sounded like to me.

KCB on May 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

VALman on May 18, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Only that they got busted.

Just because I’m ignorant on this particular issue… does the DOD budget include the VA?

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

…just for that audacity… ^ …McDonough should be fired!…. what pure unequivocal bullshit!…as if Clown Carney isn’t insulting enough…the media are entertaining all the other azzclowns.

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Not that he’s bothered himself to actually say or do anything.

And of course it’s just the “allegations” that he’s mad about.

kcewa on May 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM

What are you talking about? Didn’t he pick up his phone and call michael sam and congratulate him on being picked 8th from last in the nfl draft? Priorities brother!

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Plus 1111elenventytrillion!!!!!11111

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I don’t believe ANYTHING the White House says.

Nat George on May 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Pffft.

Madder than Hell today, phony scandal tomorrow.

In the meantime, fire a guy on the very cusp of retirement anyway and call it macaroni accountability.

If the media wasn’t in active collusion with the Obama administration to advance it’s preposterous narratives this farce would have the peasants in the streets with torches and pitchforks.

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Is that sarcasm, or are you serious?

KCB on May 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Meaning, did he call him.

KCB on May 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Barry and Co. don’t like when they get caught red-handed in a cover-up.

Philly on May 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Where did these talking points come from?

BKeyser on May 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Just going through the motions. It’s worked for them so far.

butch on May 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM

And who is this Dr. Pretzel guy?

Judge_Dredd on May 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Is that sarcasm, or are you serious?

KCB on May 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Meaning, did he call him.

KCB on May 18, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Well, obambi tried to call but sam was tongue tied with his boyfriend.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

The clown show continues!

Luthier on May 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM

And who is this Dr. Pretzel guy?

Judge_Dredd on May 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Mr. Peanut’s older brother…………..

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM

When do the lefty blocs begin running the obligatory straw men pieces with the “So I guess now the wingnuts are saying the president ordered the VA to doctor their records. lolz.” meme?

BKeyser on May 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM

When do the lefty blocs blogs …

BKeyser on May 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM

BKeyser on May 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM

This type of political priority bovine excrement is paving it’s way to extinction… Even my Socialist friends see the folly of this administration.

Yeah… sad to say I have friends that are that foolish… but engagement is how you win conflicts. You almost never win by retreating.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM

But, but, leading from behind has worked so well for us so far…………..

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM

BKeyser on May 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM
VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Just Damn…

KCB on May 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM

But, but, leading from behind has worked so well for us so far…………..

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, my bad… I forgot we are evolved now!

(insert sarc tag here, if needed)

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I suspect the only time he feels emotions is when his facade is endangered.
I doubt if he cares about anything else. Why would the VA bother him? He’ll be protected, there will be no splash-back.

vityas on May 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Hope this stays in the headlines and sticks to 0bama like superglue…

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM

“I’m madder than hell………….FORE!!”

He doesn’t give a sh!t about anybody but himself.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I’m surprised that Obama didn’t blame a youtube video. It’s disturbing that so many millions of clueless idiots will actually believe this crap!

cajunpatriot on May 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Upset that it happened or upset that they got busted?

lorien1973 on May 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM

that this is a termination of his job there before he was planning to go.

Wonder if leaving early means he didn’t have time to burn off his accumulated sick leave?

katiejane on May 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Yeah, my bad… I forgot we are evolved now!

(insert sarc tag here, if needed)

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Not needed. We all know the 6 or 7 morons here at HA that still live in the fantasyland of obaMe.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Enough of this phony outrage. This is absolutely despicable, intolerable and absolute foolishness.

Did he find out while he was on the golf course, or while he was getting a mani/pedi? Did he find out while he was relaxing on AF-1 burning up carbon emissions all over the country?

When will “SuperManObama” finally step up to the podium WITHOUT A TELEPROMPTER and .. be accountable? Never. That’s when.

/Meh. So sick of this Chicago Bullsh*t -

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Show me the scars to prove it. I’m sure the dead vets could have shown them…

Maybe one of the dumber analogies I’ve ever heard.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Exactly what I thought.

And that old “nobody’s madder than I am” shtick is wearing pretty thin. It was obvious Shinseki borrowed the “madder than hell” line from President Bystander, but he needs a dialogue coach to put some passion into it.

On top of everything else, what a great ad this all this for government-controlled single-payer healthcare.

Drained Brain on May 18, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Just Damn…

KCB on May 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I’m not sure what I find more disgusting
1) sam with the rehearsed cake in the face tongue kissing on ESPN
or
2) obaMe with the rehearsed congratulations for the cake in the face tongue kissing on ESPN

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Under the rug.

Bmore on May 18, 2014 at 5:52 PM

katiejane on May 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Yeah, but he didn’t get to earn extra vacation days so it evens out… Duh! :-)

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:53 PM

katiejane on May 18, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Hasn’t he been punished enough? What’s with the whole witch hunt thing?
/s

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Hasn’t he been punished enough? What’s with the whole witch hunt thing?
/s

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I can actually imagine some leftist POS troll saying that.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I can actually imagine some leftist POS troll saying that.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Count on it… I’m actually getting pretty good at this crap…. scares me sometimes. :-0

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM

There’s not a smidgen of evidence of any corruption in the VA

Franklin100 on May 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Correction:

There’s not a smidgen of evidence of any corruption in the VA/IRS/NSA/ICE/EPA/DOJ/BATF

Franklin100 on May 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Under the rug.

Bmore on May 18, 2014 at 5:52 PM

History taught vets about demanding their rights… so sad. Warriors are only respected when they are needed.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM

The only thing Obama is madder than hell about is his lickspittle press actually covering this. As much as Obama dislikes 97% of Americans and has shown by his actions doesn’t care if we live or die……the sub group of military is probably in his top 3 of those he considers his actual enemies and really would just as well see them no longer around.

Caseoftheblues on May 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Did Tommy Vietor vet the talking points?

Another Drew on May 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Sorry. Guess I forgot how busy he was.

kcewa on May 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM

And I’ve got the scars to prove it

Show me the scars to prove it. I’m sure the dead vets could have shown them…

Maybe one of the dumber analogies I’ve ever heard.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Ditto that NOwl.

bazil9 on May 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Disgusting phonies, all of them. Petzel was the sacrificial lamb and an available scape-goat. There is absolutely no truth, no honor and no acceptable level of morality in that slime bucket administration.

rplat on May 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM

In 1781, most of the Continental Army was demobilized without pay. Two years later, hundreds of Pennsylvania war veterans marched on Philadelphia, then the capital, surrounded the State House where the U.S. Congress was in session, and demanded their pay. Congress fled to Princeton, New Jersey, and several weeks later, the U.S. Army expelled the war veterans from the national capital. In response to that experience, the federal district directly governed by the U.S. Congress,[3] now known as Washington, D.C., was excluded from the restrictions of the Posse Comitatus Act which forbade the use of the U.S. military for domestic police activity.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

There’s not a smidgen of evidence of any corruption in the VA

Franklin100 on May 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM

My husband died at the VA in Tampa. He was 44 years old. He went in with severe stomach cramps and they put him on morphine and then he died. And, when I kneeled at his bedside he looked at me and said these final words: “I can’t believe this is “it””

February 6th 2014. Tampa.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

err, sorry forgot to give credit to the writers of my previous post… meh, sue me

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

That is tear worthy sad… So sorry for you.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Obama is “mad as Hell’ over

Obamacare roll out

Bengazi

IRS

VA

which means nothing will happen.

gerrym51 on May 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM

2015:

Dude, that’s soooo 2014. Can’t we move on?

- Denis McDonough

Resist We Much on May 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM

He!! He’s forgotten about it already!

NavyMustang on May 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM

gerrym51 on May 18, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I’d call that an unfortunate accuracy… still learning my political speak thingymajig…

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Show me the scars to prove it. I’m sure the dead vets could have shown them…

Maybe one of the dumber analogies I’ve ever heard.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Staff weenie speak.

I’m sure that “face shot” (more staff weenie speak) came in the form of “You better get your friggin’ act together, McDowell, McDonough, whatever the he11 your name is. I have a golf handicap to worry about! I don’t have time to be messin’ with garbage like some veteran dying. That happens every day. Now, get out there and make this disappear or I’m going to be REALLY mad!!!!! DO…YOU…UNDERSTAND…ME, MCDOUGALL!”

NavyMustang on May 18, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Left unmentioned – Petzel’s pending rehire to run PlaceboCare the way he ran the VA.

Steve Eggleston on May 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Just going through the motions. It’s worked for them so far.

butch on May 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I read that as ‘Just going thru the morons…’ and immediately agreed!

Tard on May 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM

February 6th 2014. Tampa.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

So sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and yours.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 6:32 PM

MAJOR GARRETT, CBS NEWS: So the President is unhappy?

Yes, yes, we know, we know. Nobody is madder than Obama once again.

rogerb on May 18, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Sometimes words are simply inadequate. I can’t imagine the grief and anger you must feel. If only there was something more to be done than offering simple words of empathy and support.

Know that I will keep you in my thoughts.

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM

KWR, you are and will remain in my prayers. So very sorry you had to endure that, words fail me…

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Staff weenie speak.

NavyMustang on May 18, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I wish I could laugh at that… too much truth there makes my heart hurt.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM

February 6th 2014. Tampa.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Oh my God! Please accept my sympathy.

Rest in peace, sir.

It’s incidents like this that show that Obama needs to pay a big price for his actions (or lack of them). He has the blood of many Americans on his hands.

NavyMustang on May 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

…when I first heard of what was going on in Arizona…my first thought was if your husband got the care that he required…or were they just… ‘putting it off’!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM

McDonough’s brother is a central figure in covering up Catholic priest abuses over the years here in Minnesota…Lying birds of a feather.

Tony0253 on May 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I wish I could laugh at that… too much truth there makes my heart hurt.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Yeah, you’re right. Having done my time in staff he11, I can tell you that they have a million phrases like that.

“Face shot,” “kick that can down the road,” “I’ve walked that dog.” It’s all shorthand for the actions that staff officers do all the time.

When McDonough said he had scars, he might as well have been saying he had a roast beef sandwich for lunch. “Taking face shots,” particularly at that level is just part of the environment. No one pays them any mind. Unless, of course, you have a soul, and as we all know, staff officers have those removed just after their hearts and their brains.

NavyMustang on May 18, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Is this guy still going to get his pension? Of course. Optics over answers or cures. So stupid to think anyone buys this.

Cindy Munford on May 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Holy Cow!!! He was such a young man. Excuse my rudeness but was this totally unexpected?

Cindy Munford on May 18, 2014 at 6:47 PM

looking fwd to my next va visit. looking like 2 more knee operations (try to extend before replacing) and may need to rebreak a foot to reset it.
yay

dmacleo on May 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Many prayers coming your way, KWR!

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Repubs, don’t let them off the hook on this.

We need that audit!!!

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 6:57 PM

They probably transferred him to another department until his full pension kicks in…

d1carter on May 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Cindy Munford on May 18, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Yeah, he went in with a stomach bug and came out dead. This is really difficult for me because I KNEW something was up. He said to me, “this cannot be it… I can’t believe this is it”.

They pumped him full of morphine… for stomach cramps.

/Kill ‘em if you can’t book them.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

yay

dmacleo on May 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Hope ya got a solid date for that… I’ve dealt with VA before. I opted for private practice. They (usually) do a better job… the price can be prohibitive, but ya gotta choose your poison. You have my best wishes!!! Not that will help you in any way…. just saying!!!

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

d1carter on May 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Not necessary, they can just give him credit for time not worked to take him up to his official retirement date. Happens all the time.

slickwillie2001 on May 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Excuse my repetitiveness but obama just learned about this and boy is he mad. Im getting tired of this. CNC means YOU take responsibility for YOUR administration.

jaywemm on May 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM

KWR, what did the autopsy say?

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Thank you, OC. I’m a woman of Faith. Therefore, I endure. Still miss him terribly but I accept it.

I am extremely concerned about the new revelations about the VA. I knew something was wrong.

:::Really heavy sigh::: In the end, it’ll all come out I suppose.

I think it is time to privatize the VA so that our Veterans can get the care they deserve.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM

We are hardly even a country anymore.

There have been problems for a long time with VA. But I think they tried to keep it all hushed up during this administration because of ACA. They didn’t want to acknowledge that the VA system was so bad.

These last six years of VA failure is a direct result of the ACA.

Must keep up the pretense that the VA isn’t a failure. So we can enslave more Americans in a system just like it.

petunia on May 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM

They pumped him full of morphine… for stomach cramps.

/Kill ‘em if you can’t book them.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

That makes me “taking up arms” type angry. I can’t even imagine your feelings now… I wish you the best, but please don’t let them forget the harm they have caused.

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM

KWR, what did the autopsy say?

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I have to do a FOIA filing to find out. He was “government property” since he died at the VA.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Back in the day I would call BS on that… today? Not so much…

NiteOwl on May 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Wow, just wow, KWR…

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Of course this is a termination, but which type: voluntary or involuntary. There is a difference between voluntarily resigning and being involuntarily fired.

ThePainfulTruth on May 18, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

That is just so awful, words fail. You know you are in my prayers. Every news reports must be like a punch in the stomach.

Cindy Munford on May 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

There’s not a smidgen of evidence of any corruption in the VA

Franklin100 on May 18, 2014 at 6:02 PM

February 6th 2014. Tampa.

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

My post, pure sarcasm, was a play on what that jerk, some who call president, said months ago about the IRS targeting conservatives for exercising their God given right to free expression.

From the bottom of my heart I extend my condolences to you and wish you the strength to get through your dark times.

Franklin100 on May 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Obama thinks every American is stupid….well his half is. The rest of us see right through this fool.

neyney on May 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM