Reminder: When Gowdy threw down gauntlet to media on Benghazi questions

posted at 11:01 am on May 18, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

This video comes from a press conference given by Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) earlier this week [see update – from late last year], but Real Clear Politics picked it up today, and it’s definitely worth a fresh look. As the newly-appointed chair of the select committee investigating Benghazi, Gowdy has bristled at criticisms that all of the questions have already been answered — especially when those criticisms come from national media outlets who have shown remarkably little curiosity about the collapse of American policy in Libya. In his presser, Gowdy challenged the critics to answer the questions his committee will probe — or at least to start asking them:

“We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act in Benghazi, and make no mistake, justice will be done.” That was the president of the United States over a year ago.

“We’re investigating exactly what happened, but my biggest priority now is bringing those folks to justice.” That was the president of the United States over a year ago. No one has been arrested. No one has been prosecuted. No one has been brought to justice. We don’t even have access to the witnesses.

You in the media were good enough for my 16 years as a prosecutor not to tell me how to do my job, and so far in Congress, y’all have been good enough not to tell me how to do my job. I’m not telling you how to do your job. But I’m going to ask you some questions, and if you can’t answer these questions, then I’ll leave you to draw whatever conclusion you want to draw about whether or not the media has provided sufficient oversight.

Can you tell me why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi the night that he was killed? Do you know? Does it bother you whether or not you know why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi? Do you know why we were the last flag flying in Benghazi after the British had left and the Red Cross had been bombed? Do you know why requests for additional security were denied? Do you know why an ambassador asking for more security days and weeks before he was murdered and those requests went unheeded? Do you know the answer to why those requests went unheeded? Do you know why no assets were deployed during the siege? And I’ve heard the explanation — which defies logic, frankly — that we couldn’t have gotten there in time, but you know, they didn’t know when it was going to end. So how can you possibly cite that as an excuse? Do you know whether the president called any of our allies and said, “Can you help? We have men under attack.” Can you answer that? Do any of you know why Susan Rice was picked? The secretary of state did not go. She says she doesn’t like Sunday talk shows. That’s the only media venue she does not like, if that’s true. Why was Susan Rice on the five Sunday talk shows? Do you know the origin of this mythology that it was spawned as a spontaneous reaction to a video? Do you know where that started? Do you know how we got from no evidence of that to that being the official position of the administration?

In conclusion, Congress is supposed to provide oversight, the voters are supposed to provide oversight, and you are supposed to provide oversight. That’s why you have special liberties, and that’s why you have special protections. I am not surprised that the president of the United States called this a phony scandal. I’m not surprised Secretary Clinton asked, “What difference does it make?” I’m not even surprised that Jay Carney said Benghazi happened a long time ago. I’m just surprised at how many people bought it.

It’s been a few days since this presser, and not only have I not seen answers to these questions, I still haven’t noticed these national media outlets bothering to ask them.

Update: This actually came from a press conference late last year, and not this week — although it got picked up again this week. My apologies to those in the comments who got this right. Newsbusters noted in on Wednesday with the proper date attribution, but everyone else seems to have mistaken it as recent, including me. It’s worth noting, though, how all of these questions still have no answers, and few in the media even bothering to ask them. Also, I’ve changed the headline to reflect the time difference.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I believe one person was arrested and is sitting in jail at this moment. Unfortunately, he’s the scapegoat

jaywemm on May 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I love Trey Gowdy!

ladyingray on May 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM

This presser was from last year.

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Watched this the first day it was offered.
Trey has the most glorious gift to cut to the chase that I’ve seen in a long time !!
God bless and protect Trey !!

pambi on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Wow. Excellent questions, and a very valid point.
And frankly the press is so in the tank , I hadn’t even seen Gowdy posing these questions before. This was news to me. And I try to really follow the news. Thanks for pointing this out.

builderD on May 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM

This presser was from last year.

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

No, it’s from this week. Gowdy quotes Obama from “over a year ago,” which would have made no sense in 2013.

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM

And who the F*#@ pushed the video??
Simple,pointed,easy to understand.
Our four dead Patriots DESERVE ANSWERS!!!!!!

Whiskey
Trot
Fox

Neal4007 on May 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM

This presser was from last year.

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

If that’s true, perhaps it helps explain some of the turn-a rounds we’ve seen in the media since.
Granted, minor and rare, but some are THINKING more clearly .. methinks they are are just too frightened to dig too deeply, for their own protection.
Yes, I do mean fearing retaliation. We know these folks.

pambi on May 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM

This presser was from last year.

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

That’s my recollection as well and shows how much the MSM responded to his challenge – crickets.

Drained Brain on May 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I do agree with this.

pambi on May 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The families of the Patriots…….

Neal4007 on May 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM

There was a fat lady at State who got fired.

Isn’t that enough?

BobMbx on May 18, 2014 at 11:16 AM

A star is born.

Blaise on May 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Trey Gowdy, just the kind of pit bull needed in congress. You go at it Trey. 70% of the people want to know the answers too.

jake49 on May 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Looks like we’ve got the right person in charge of this investigation.

Ukiah on May 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Copied from another thread…

This man is so amazing!!! I admire the desire for justice that he displays and his willingness to have the determination and perseverance to pursue the cause of justice that lets him stand so fearless in the line of fire!

May God keep and protect him from harm, and may his example inspire others.

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Gowdy was awesome!

Conservative_Hippie on May 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

This presser was from last year.

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Yup.

steebo77 on May 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I believe that presser was from last November, but the questions he asks are still relevant.

myiq2xu on May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I thought Chucky Todd just said that all the questions had been answered…that this is was a verrrrrrrry dangerous move by the GOP…?

d1carter on May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

If this was a democrat led select committee into a republican scandal, this press conference would have been the lead story on all the network nightly news and the media would have been all over it all week. Of course if it was a republican scandal, the media would have answers to these questions already and things would never have gotten this far.

supernova on May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Gowdy is awesome..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

#BringBackAccountability&Responsibility

Electrongod on May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

we need to get going on this investigation before everybody involved dies of old age

clandestine on May 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Electrongod on May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Good point..:)

PS..Good morning..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Trey: Hold fast when they give you the Ken Starr treatment.

rhombus on May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

myiq2xu on May 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

”We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act in Benghazi, and make no mistake, justice will be done.” That was the president of the United States over a year ago.

Electrongod on May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

The media knows the answers to all of those questions. They just don’t care! That is the direction that Gowdy should have taken it. he should have even gone more pointed at them by throwing in a “y’all” in the final sentence. “I’m just surprised at how many of y’all bought it!”

rmel80 on May 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM

This presser was from last year.

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Yup.

steebo77 on May 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I stand corrected — you two are correct. This was from late last year, but a Newsbusters look back at it (with proper date attribution) seems to have confused people, including me.

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I’ve updated the post, by the way, and thanks.

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Four Americans murdered in Benghazi, one of whom was the U.S. Ambassador. Pfft. That’s soooo two years ago.

The Rams drafted Michael Sam. Let’s focus on what really matters.

GrannyDee on May 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I guess what I posted last…

Was that the presser was late last year….

Oh…I see Ed updated this thread…

Electrongod on May 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Ahh, ok. That WAS confusing.

pambi on May 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I notice, he avoids asking where the heck the Pres was and what he was doing; same with the SoS. I’m sure it is considered politically embarrassing, but why should those questions be avoided?

kpguru on May 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I’m waiting to see some production here before allowing myself to get excited. So far, the GOPe has produced nothing more than window-dressing from its other “investigations” (looking at you, Darryl Issa and Michael Rogers). Boehner, on behalf of his masters, clearly doesn’t want this to go anywhere that will rock the boat, and sadly, that’s probably what we’ll get. More kabuki. It may be in spite of Gowdy’s best efforts, but the net result will probably be nothing much. I hope I’m wrong.

bofh on May 18, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I’m not surprised at all by how many people bought it.

Mark1971 on May 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM

What difference does it make? It’s true when he said it and it’s still true now.

gracie on May 18, 2014 at 11:35 AM

So I ask again: When will the subpoenas for Ms. Clinton SoS (ret) be issued, and not just for Kerry?

Now that her noggin is healed and she’s all fired up to take another run at the White House, will Gowdy bring her to the Hill?

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM

This vid was so good, it’s okay if you post it once a week until the questions are answered…

d1carter on May 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Trey: Hold fast when they give you the Ken Starr treatment.

rhombus on May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I see the point you are making but they (LSM) are going to have a very hard time in doing that..Gowdy is the real deal..imho..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Drained Brain on May 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I could tell by the better haircut he had back then.

Today’s hair? Not so much.

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM

He should subpoena Chucky Toddd to see how he knows that all the questions have been answered…LOL.

d1carter on May 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM

d1carter on May 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I’ve been unable to watch a Congressional hearing for a long time, because they are largely shams, consisting of competing blasts of hot air and witnesses who blab until the time is up.

For a very long time, the term “investigative committee” has been an oxymoron in the hands of Congress. I have complained myself into a mortified mess at the things witnesses get away with. I have suggested here and elsewhere for a long time that Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Susan Rice — not even Jay Carney, the slick school-boy with the sneer — would last 5 minutes in the hands of a real prosecutor.

[For good measure, and to be fair, you could throw Valerie Jarrett, John Boehner, Harry Reid, Mitch McConnell and possibly even Rand Paul (lately) into the pile. The streets in D.C. should all be curved because it's impossible to get a straight answer in that town.]

I might prefer a real courtroom and Vincent Bugliosi, but let’s give Trey Gowdy a shot. It’s a hell of a lot better than the mock trials normally held in Congress, which only mock our intelligence.

IndieDogg on May 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Trey Gowdy is the ONLY reason I believe this investigation might grow legs. He’s one of the very few in DC who aren’t already bald-faced cowards and liars.

Harbingeing on May 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Is it also true that King Putt hired a defense attorney?

dogsoldier on May 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM

kpguru on May 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I think Gowdy covered that without making it too obvious:

Mark Boabaca on May 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Gowdy is the real deal..imho..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM

He can also compel testimony. Subpeenies are wonderful things.

BobMbx on May 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM

WisRich on May 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Who cares what his hair looks like. I wouldn’t care if he was bald.

I like his action.

Barred on May 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM

After watching that, I find myself hoping that the DemocRATs boycott the hearings. Any chance we could make this a joint hearing and get Jeff Sessions involved?

Knott Buyinit on May 18, 2014 at 11:57 AM

This is some real red state meat.Let’s go for it.Don’t let up for an instant.

docflash on May 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Trey will do a good job getting us answers to those questions.

BroncosRock on May 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Since well before Obama was elected the American news media have circled the wagons and gone out of their way to protect him…

They have become a laughing stock, a joke….

Frankly Pravda and the China Daily have much more credibility these days…

Very sad state of affairs.

snoozinglion on May 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM

It’s as valid, even more so, today…the obama-shit-consuming-media still covering up for him.

It’s good to feature it, especially when Dana Millbank now focuses on Gowdy’s hair. Imagine if we’d focus on Hillary’s hair or cankles.

Gowdy, who deploys courtroom theatrics on the House floor and in committee hearings, often wears his gray hair long and slicked back and has gained attention for wild-eyed, high-volume bursts of pious indignation. The rise of another Southern white male to the top of the GOP probably won’t improve its demographic difficulties, but Gowdy’s climb is a key example of how the Republican Party has blunted the tea party threat in large part by co-opting the movement.

On the video picture – that senator is a scumhag, same as the scumbag McCain.

On Gowdy, he’s been getting death threats, since his new position…he said “so long as my wife doesn’t threaten me with my life, I’m ok. I’ve been a prosecutor for 16 years and got lots of them…”

Mustard…underwear…leftists…and some RINOs too…

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Bwahahahahahaha

There is a gubRmint scandal and for some reason there don’t seem to be no leaks.

How does that happen?

When a president (democrat or Republican) does something the press don’t like you will usually see leaks to the press. FDR, Truman, Kennedy and Johnson had theirs — so did Carter and Clinton. Where the hell are the leaked reports from the Obama administration?

I’ll tell you where.

Sitting in a locked desk drawer belonging to the various publishers of the New York Times, the Washington Post, the LA Times, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC. Remember the video tape of Obama at Ayers’ house when he started his political career? The LA Times still has that hidden away. No one gets to see it.

The leaks are there.

The press is just ignoring them hoping that if none get published, the rest will just stop. Why do you think they are telling everyone that Obama’s reign of error has had no scandals? Yeah! Remember that?

They are trying desperately to write (use your best announcers deep voice) The History of Obama before it even happens!

roflmmfao

donabernathy on May 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM

They have become a laughing stock, a joke….

Frankly Pravda and the China Daily have much more credibility these days…

Very sad state of affairs.

snoozinglion on May 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Here’s one many have missed, namely a Friday afternoon May 16 document dump, from CNN itself!

CNN has discovered multiple instances of plagiarism by Marie-Louise Gumuchian, a former CNN news editor. She wrote frequently about international news, writing and reporting about Africa, Europe, and the Middle East from our London bureau.

An unpublished story flagged last week during our editing process led to an internal investigation that uncovered other examples in about 50 published stories, and our investigation is ongoing.

We’ve terminated Gumuchian’s employment with CNN, and have removed the instances of plagiarism found in her pieces. In some cases, we’ve chosen to delete an entire article.

Trust, integrity and simply giving credit where it’s due are among the tenets of journalism we hold dear, and we regret that we published material that did not reflect those essential standards.

We also believe in letting audiences know when we’ve remedied situations that threaten to compromise that trust.

- Meredith Artley, Managing Editor and VP, CNN Digital – Manuel Perez, Editorial Director, CNN Digital – Richard T. Griffiths, Senior Editorial Director and VP, CNN

Del Dolemonte on May 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Video:

canopfor on May 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Canopfor told us about this on Tuesday last week.

I think it’s telling there are questions about when the presser took place. This was a direct affront to the MSM — and it was a press conference. Was thing thing buried by the very people Gowdy is pointing his finger at?

Lolo on May 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I hope that most reporters choke from consuming obama-chit. It ain’t Beluga caviar, you incredible fools.

History will judge you harshly. The Islamists watch you and they hate weasels the most.

Putin loves you.

Report on this, you chickenchits.

Just one comment…but there are many. Why do you leftists ignore all this?

The world´s most populous democracy–our ally–has just seen a watershed election as important as Reagan´s victory in 1980. Naturally, Obama has denied Narendra Modia a visa, but now he´s going to have to deal with him even as he has to with Bibi Netanyahu. If the GOP erases a few dozen more Democrats from Congress in November, Zippy´s last two years are going to be lonesome. And he just might get himself impeached for a thousand valid reasons. At least he´ll get dissed to the point of exploding. His middle finger might even get permanently hyperextended.

This is beyond historical and Maureen Dowd chastises Condi. Most all media ignore how obama got whacked in India, and then some, how the entire dying West was whacked…ironically by the leftists’ beloved “direct democratic vote”, the one they always want…in the most populous democracy on Earth…and almost utter silence.

Go dunk your heads back into your latrines, you rats of the world.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Update: This actually came from a press conference late last year, and not this week

Wow. Let that sink in.

rogerb on May 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Is it also true that King Putt hired a defense attorney?

dogsoldier on May 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Yup. The new White House counsel is Neil Eggleston, who helped defend Clinton during the Whitewater days.

Stu Gotts on May 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM

The media cover up that their beloved NYTs has fired JA for being a tough woman, Jew and for holding her effeminate black underling accountable for a job not well done. He then cried “mommy, she’s racist” and got her job.

Drudge has it wrong, but at least he exposes them, to not drop the item. Ochs, the bull-ie, never had any respect at the NYT and pursues only the latest PC item. She became less PC than the new guy.

Frankly Pravda and the China Daily have much more credibility these days…

Very sad state of affairs.

snoozinglion on May 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Heck, RT.com reports a lot of significant international news, totally missed, on purpose, in the US, because they don’t make obama look good, or make him look horrific, the US too.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Stu Gotts on May 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM

What’s your defense, Eggleston of HA? :)

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I stand corrected — you two are correct.

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I will stand corrected, also. I first saw it last week. It was labeled as the press conference that kicked off the committee. Apologies.

blink on May 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Good on you…it makes it even more compelling that NOTHING has changed in all this time.

Kudos for this thread.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Heck, Del reports better, more, and more accurate than most media.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM

And, don’t miss that the Punk of the media, Dana Millbank, insinuates that Gowdy is a racist

I wish Dana all he gives.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Wow. Let that sink in.

rogerb on May 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Yep, he should go back out and say “I asked some questions about Benghazi last year, and none of them have been answered” then repeat the speech verbatim.

forest on May 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM

What’s your defense, Eggleston of HA? :)

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM

He claims they’re not related, but put your steel toes on and kick him while he’s down.

RickB on May 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM

My new favorite congressman – I think.

Re last week or last year, as already pointed out…What Difference Does It Make as long as Obama and his fellow criminals continue to stonewall & obfuscate.

22044 on May 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Reminder: Trey Gowdy joined Congress in 2011 after he defeated the expired RINO Bob Inglis in his district’s primary.

God Bless the voters in that district!

22044 on May 18, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM

What is Dana’s goal here? To discredit Gowdy? To undermine the TEA Party?

That reeks of Establishment Repub mouthpiece from a mile away.

Anyone who has followed Gowdy’s career knows what kind of man he is. He’s exceptionally well-suited to the role he currently holds, and I for one actually prefer to have him there than in the Senate right now.

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM

RickB on May 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I was kidding him, and he knows it. Also, didn’t know he’s down.

Thanks for all the good tunes on QotD.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:52 PM

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I actually think he wants to make Gowdy and all related into “the white racists from the South”. That whole piece is something…Millbank is the official media hack.

Eleanor Clift and Tomasky are the puerile rats.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I’d like to see another presser where Gowdy says that it’s been a few months since he challenged the media and there appears to have been no progress on finding answers to his questions. He would then assert that this means that the press doesn’t think the questions are important or significant. Finally, he would challenge the press to explain why the answers to his original questions are not important and worth answering.

Mallard T. Drake on May 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM

If Gowdy can make this happen. He can’t, they won’t. Exercise in futility?

Bmore on May 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Wow. Let that sink in.

rogerb on May 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM

The very point I was making.

Lolo on May 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Electrongod on May 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

He didn’t say that… The teleprompter… made that happen.

/He’s on auto-pilot – whatever the scandal of the day is, he will not rest, blabbity blah blah blah Obamaspeak

Key West Reader on May 18, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Exercise in futility?

Bmore on May 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM

In terms of legal outcomes, given what he’s up against, maybe.

In terms of reviving some sense of what justice means, I think he’s the best shot we have, don’t you?

Too many who see justice only through the lens of “social justice”. There’s more to it than that. A lot more.

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Sure. I’m glad to finally see some traction, any traction, on any topic where as the GOP is concerned. A glimmer of hope that they aren’t all completely disconnected and disinterested in the People they are sent there to serve. I am all for finding the truth. I just have little respect left for the GOP in its current configuration. That trust was broken time and time again in the last decade. Funny thing trust. Very hard to repair.

Bmore on May 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM

The VA fiasco has only seen the very surface…it’s gon’ git very ugly for all.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Oops.

I remember the presser, and it gets linked on Twitter all the time. Very popular with the conservative in-crowd. It has done much to burnish Gowdy’s credentials with folks who are sickened by the media cone of silence.

Not surprising that a lot of folks haven’t seen it though. The media have completely ignored his blistering excoriation of their craven and corrupt protection of Obama and Clinton.

After all, what else can they do? How can they respond to Gowdy’s completely accurate criticism without answering his charges?

So, *crickets*. They are trying to ignore him, as part of the overall campaign of enforcing ignorance on those they are supposed to inform.

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 1:18 PM

A media complex, that wasn’t in the tank, might have taken those comments seriously. Just the fact that the questions haven’t been asked, haven’t been investigated, and it looks like no media outlet is willing to do their job, shows what poor shape our country is in. All of those things, designed to balance our democracy, have been circumvented by the Democrats and the progressives.

Right now, the control the Presidency, the Senate, most educational institutions, many of the courts, much of our media complex, and many government institutions. This administration has made use of all of these organizations to make changes without bowing to the electorate, allowing the House to work its will, and without paying attention to the American people. All of the things the founders put in place to stop that from happening have been thwarted.

The press is the worst because they were supposed to be the group that exposed this stuff. They’ve volunteered to become Pravda and Izvestia, without a gun to their head or anything like that. The amount of distain and distrust I have for our national media is beyond measure.

bflat879 on May 18, 2014 at 1:19 PM

bflat879 on May 18, 2014 at 1:19 PM

fluffers, all of them.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM

The VA fiasco has only seen the very surface…it’s gon’ git very ugly for all.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 1:13 PM

agreed..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Bmore on May 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM

We’re definitely of like mind there, sir.

Funny thing trust. Very hard to repair.

Indeed it is. Requires a genuine effort on the part of the person who has betrayed that trust to generate a basis on which that trust can be re-established.

I just don’t see this as a goal that is that high on Repub’s list of priorities, Bmore. Do you?

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM

South Carolina gives you Trey Gowdy, then gives you Lindsey Graham…but hopefully not for long with Graham!

SouthernGent on May 18, 2014 at 1:42 PM

These poor vets are loaded with chronic illness. In the end it’s going to be very hard to prove that more timely medical treatment would have equated to longer survivals.

This has been the story of the VA Hospitals for decades and decades and is what we will experience in the private sector under Obamacare.

gracie on May 18, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I’ve updated the post, by the way, and thanks.

Ed Morrissey on May 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM

…who can blame all those that are confused?…if the media played that presser half as often in 6 months…as they did so many times the Michael Sam draft pick kisses…. in one day!…………….just saying!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM

gracie on May 18, 2014 at 1:51 PM

That depends on the diagnosis and scope of treatment that would have been required.

I’m rather desperately hoping that they’ll conduct an independent third party of audit of the VA.

“Best practice” has a different meaning under government-sponsored health care than it has had in our private sector (or quasi-private sector) health care industry. We really need baselines on that data and we need it now. For patient protection.

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Nor will you/we.

Its circle the wagons time for Obama faithful…has been circle the wagons time for awhile now…and no dues-paying MSM Club reporter who wants to keep their job is going to lay a glove on Obama or Hillary on Benghazi (or any other issue).

Sacramento on May 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM

What if each one of us along with 10 of our friends called, wrote, emailed or tweeted the MSM and asked these questions every day. Although 99% of me thinks it would do no good, 1% thinks it would be worth a try.

Yankee Doodle on May 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Schad, you are on fire today, especially about the India vote. I read that Obama has invited Modi to the US. No doubt he will get the Netanyahu treatment – BO will be standing next to him at a presser and taking thinly veiled cheap shots at Modi’s pro-market policies.

Incidentally, I actually went to high school with NYT publisher Sulzberger. But it was only for a year because he flunked out. He is an idiot.

FOAF on May 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Doesn’t everybody know that asking questions is racist?

Why? Because you are asking for more information.

And see, that’s the dog whistle–more/Moor.

(With thanks to the Liberal Think Tank: “We Find Bones in Animal Crackers.”)

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on May 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM

No. I’m not even sure Conservatives are on the radar much at all anymore for the GOP. Except to say we are (have) become a nuisance to them.

Bmore on May 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Ms. Clift unavailable for comment. The lib media is so far gone over that hill, they can’t recognize their own demise.

Kissmygrits on May 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Kissmygrits on May 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM

She’s up in Headlines right now.

Del Dolemonte on May 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Hillary has sort of answered some of the questions but not quite adequately for me.
1. She does not know why Ambassador Stevens decided to stay there after he had complained it was unsafe…apparently he did not fully believe that it was that unsafe.
2. She had a limited budget for security and could not spare security assets to Benghazi because the intelligence indicated that Egypt and other places were, in fact, more unsafe than Benghazi.
3. She claimed that they allowed Libya to provide the security because they were trying to improve relations with the Libyan government.
4. She had to depend upon the intelligence department for the security needs rather than the nervous nellie ambassadors who cannot do their jobs effectively from a bunker.
5. The military told her no one was close enough to effect a rescue attempt…at no time during the 8 hours of the entire event.

None of these answers were provided to the committees investigating this incident but in softball interviews, just sort of dropped out here and there without any follow-on questions. Seriously, she thinks we need to believe these things, such as Paris Consulate needs more marines protecting it than Benghazi did.

evie1949 on May 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM