Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on May 18, 2014 by Allahpundit

You would think, with scalps already taken and Eric Shinseki hanging by a thread, that the VA scandal would be top priority on this week’s Sunday yakkers. Nope. “Face the Nation” is all over it with White House chief of staff Denis “How many dead veterans do you need?” McDonough and American Legion national commander Dan Dellinger, who’s called for Shinseki’s resignation. But it’s business as usual on the other shows, with “This Week” featuring “headliners” Keith Ellison and Jennifer Granholm. Nothing gets me to clear my schedule faster than a back-bencher congressman and an ex-governor.

Dick and Lynne Cheney will be on “Fox News Sunday” to discuss her new book on James Madison and to dump on Obama for reasons various and sundry. Expect some warm words for the prospect of Jeb 2016, too. The full line-up is at Politico.

Comments

I’m waiting for the full lineup from Jaibones.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Jaibones!

Brat on May 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM

When I was a kid it was a Sunday tradition to watch Meet The Press, and that goes back to Lawrence E. Spivak for me.

Now I couldn’t be bothered.

Drained Brain on May 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Now I couldn’t be bothered.

Drained Brain on May 18, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Back then they were the only ones. I don’t remember the other 2 having a Sunday morning show. NBC eventually had a good one but I only looked forward to the art segment they always had.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Good morning Jailbones.

Granholme? She’s left of left.

And Ellison is a racist.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Celebrated Mothers day a week late. Money. Her gift was on lay-away.

Bought my Mom a 9mm. Gave it to her last night.

Impeccable timing. We woke up to the crime scene unit van and 20 cop cars outside a 7am.

No, I don’t live with her. She lives in the same apt complex as I do.

Kinda cool.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Kinda cool.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM

That’s great. You can sell it to a tv channel.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Here’s some stuff that the Sunday shows probably won’t cover but they should:

Over at Gateway there is a terrific piece on how locals who were being attacked by the boko bozos turned that tables killed 200 of them and even stole their rides,just doesn’t get any better except for this:

Over at Judicial Review Trey Gowdy is kicking ass an taking names and this time he is mauling the press!!
For three minutes he ask the press all the pertinent questions.! Questions that we here in the New Media dredged up over the last year and a half.
Why was no security provided when asked for, what was Stevens doing there to begin with? How many allies did we ask for help on and on and on! He destroys the msm and they just stand there awestruck by Gowdy.
Finally, Dirty Harry/Jack Bauer is back for real in the body of Trey Gowdy.

rodguy911 on May 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM

The Cochran story has legs. The time line does not match up as to when Chris McDaniel learned of the arrest of Clayton Kelly. According to the McDaniel campaign, McDaniel was briefed about the arrest at approx 7:30 AM, shortly thereafter his campaign manager left an phone message to Cochran’s campaign manager condemning the actions of Clayton Kelly and saying McDaniel wanted to reach out to Cochran.
At a campaign event later that morning McDaniel was asked about the Kelly arrest and McDaniel said he knew nothing of the incident.

Something stinks, or McDaniel’s campaign staff is incompetent.

I think Erick Erickson is taking another walk down the Appalachian trail.

smokin hot politics on May 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM

good morning!

don’t forget, hillary, hillary, hillary
don’t worry about her age (even though we bashed dole and mccain *wink wink*))
don’t worry about her health (even though we bashed dole and mccain *wink wink*)
-lsm talking points

cmsinaz on May 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Good morning, Allahpundit. I just want to say I enjoy Hot Air, and I appreciate everyone’s hard work.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

smokin hot politics on May 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM

This feels like Nixon’s Watergate, but worse since it involve an ill woman whose privacy has been compromised.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Celebrated Mothers day a week late. Money. Her gift was on lay-away.

Bought my Mom a 9mm. Gave it to her last night.

No, I don’t live with her. She lives in the same apt complex as I do.

Kinda cool.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM

It is cool. Nice appropriate gift.

When is her birthday? You can take her to the range.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM

it’s bush’s fault!!!!

renalin on May 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM

ahhhhh…. the Sunday Morning GubRmint Worship Services.

All hail the divine and infinite power of American Exceptionalism! Can I get an Amen?

roflmmfao

donabernathy on May 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

candy crowley digging castro nomination for HUD secretary

cmsinaz on May 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

it’s bush’s fault!!!!

renalin on May 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Which of those things are his fault?

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Hello -goodbye. I’ve got to go to church and then retail hell.
Shinseki needs to resign like YESTERDAY!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 18, 2014 at 9:05 AM

is Jaibones on vacation? Heh, I wouldn’t blame him.

22044 on May 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM

with scalps already taken

What the f*ck are you talking about? The guy who resigned that was retiring in less than 3 weeks anyway? That somehow adds up to a ‘scalp’ or responsibility taken?

Midas on May 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM

It’s interesting to see the VA handle this, with its indifference. Shinseki may have lots of regrets and good intentions, but I’d never know this by just listening to his tone of voice. He has a good job, good pay & perks, and his boss will never fire him … he just has to sit out these hearings.

It’s also a great preview on the very poor treatment that the nation may expect from ObamaCare once and if we ever migrate to single payer. I’m surprised that the Democrats haven’t cottoned on to this. I’d certainly point to this as a great example of how the Fed will treat fellow Americans seeking healthcare and say “Nay nay” to single payer.

majorzot on May 18, 2014 at 9:14 AM

questioning hillary’s health is not legitimate
-feinstein

HYPOCRITE

you and your ilk were worried about dole’s and mccain’s health…that was legitimate right?

cmsinaz on May 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM

benghazi—-
‘a hunting mission for a lynch mob’
-feinstein

unstinkingbelievable…candy just goes along with it…no questions

typical

cmsinaz on May 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

s cool. Nice appropriate gift. When is her birthday? You can take her to the range. davidk on May 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Her birthday is the same day as mine. In August.

Gonna head up to the mountains today. State land. Run 50 through it. Loosen it up.

She’s shot my guns before. .44mag, .45 colt, my 9mm Ruger.

It’s just the first gun that is hers.

I’ll have to get Alt to recomend a decent bra holster.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

If the Sunday shows don’t discuss this they’re racists.

NPR Warns: Your Ice Cream Truck May Be Irredeemably Racist

Akzed on May 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Fox had one of the VA MD whistleblowers on discussing the issue.

iurockhead on May 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Chaney on critique of Øbama foreign policy: (paraphrased)

“I was in the region, not in Syria, of course, but everyone I spoke to there says they can no longer trust the U.S. government’s promises. Øbama’s reference to a red line and his failure to act have emboldened Putin and his adventurism while at the same time have resulted in a loss of trust in the United States and its capability to keep its promises.”
In other words, this is not what Cheney thinks, it’s what the thinking is all over the Middle East and anywhere else where the U.S. has a strategic interest. Masterfully done, Mr. Chaney…

ExpressoBold on May 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM

candy crowley digging castro nomination for HUD secretary

cmsinaz on May 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Raul, or Fidel?

iurockhead on May 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

ExpressoBold on May 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Dick and Lynne Cheney; I misspelled Cheney in my earlier comment … but Newt Gingrich will not be deeply hurt about it, as he is about Karl Rove raising questions about HiLarry Clintoon’s brain health. So… sue me!

ExpressoBold on May 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM

If the Sunday shows don’t discuss this they’re racists.

NPR Warns: Your Ice Cream Truck May Be Irredeemably Racist

Akzed

The left just beats this stuff to death. It gets to the point where I don’t want to talk to hardly anybody, because they might find something racist in what I might say … a quick search of the web shows that “golf”, “Chicago”, “Medicare,” “debt,” “jobs,” “foreign policy”, “quantitative easing”, and “urban” are racist. Geez … I might feel micro-aggressive here.

majorzot on May 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Where are you? I lived in Pueblo for about three years. I loved going up in the mountains. I spent a lot of time on 12 mile Road.

I really miss it.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Jake has autism.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Greetings Hotairians! On the golf course at Pilgrim’s Run in Michigan. See you next week.

Jaibones on May 18, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Tucson.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Te VA has been terrible for decades, ask any Vietnam Veteran.

Government simply CANNOT run health care, ask any Brit or Canadian.

WAKE UP, AMERICA! FIRE THE BASTICHES before they fire YOU over the side!

Who is John Galt on May 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM

These guys need to hire Jaibones!

Who is John Galt on May 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM

OT, on the subject of commencement speakers…

Short enough to quote, too good not to.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) encouraged graduates of the University of California Berkeley to be disruptors, using their knowledge and technology to shake up the economic system.

“Being called a disruptor is a high compliment,” Pelosi said in prepared remarks Saturday. “You here at Berkeley are already disruptors in many ways.”

Pelosi’s speech came nearly 50 years after students led by Mario Savio occupied a Berkeley building and launched the “free speech movement,” which sought to lift university bans on political activities.

“Now, it’s all about you — what you can do with your freedom to speak out, with the tools of our time: Instagram and YouTube, Facebook and Twitter,” Pelosi said.

The California lawmaker urged graduates to tackle problems with income disparity, education quality and climate change. She told them their peers around the world will help, and there’s no need to wait for leaders to act.

Pelosi also touched on campaign finance, saying the Supreme Court “equates money with speech, opening the floodgates to secret, special interest money in our elections.” But graduates could disrupt the system.

“Let’s restore power to the voices of the people, not the pockets of the privileged few,” she said.

Pelosi closed her speech with hopeful words: “My wish is that you will be disruptors when necessary, and that you enjoy every moment of it.”

Since she refers to Disruptors Disrupters (the humanoid type rather than the charged-particle-beam type), I’d suspect San Fran Nan of being a closet Trekkie, but it’s more likely she’s just channeling her inner bomb-thrower of her college days.

And of course, she’s reinforcing every precious little snowflake’s attitude that “It’s All About Me“.

Then exhorting them to go forth and conquer, in Her name…

…Armed with their invincible Attitude, their irresistible Sense of Purpose, and their devastating skills in Revolutionary Self-Criticism and Sustainable Basket Weaving.

And oh yes, Critical Dance Theory.

clear ether

eon

eon on May 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM

……

rodguy911 on May 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM

…how embarrassing for the media!…no wonder that wasn’t shown on any newscasts!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Martha Raddox on ABC… we can’t go in to Nigeris because it’s a “sovereign Country”.

So was Libya.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM

DNC Dave over on nbc just letting Andreuuuhhh Mitchell spori8tng her JOker smile and 5 inches of makeup go wild calling Carl Rove evil for slamming her gal shillary.
Rove dared to say hillary might have lingering brain problems from her fall. Bubba helped his gal out however. He said she got over the fall in…..uhhh… 6 months. Its all toofunny! What will we call her madame dyke or madame potus,back to back homos just what the country needs.
Meanwhile Reince Priebus kicked dnc Daves ass when he echoed that infamous hillary camapign slogan:
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE quite the moment..

rodguy911 on May 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM

If the Sunday shows don’t discuss this they’re racists.

NPR Warns: Your Ice Cream Truck May Be Irredeemably Racist

Akzed

majorzot on May 18, 2014 at 9:51 AM

This is what most people remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnZxfkkoKQ

Kids might know this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coteqIE0Y5s

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Swiss reject $24 minimum wage. Over 75% vote NO.

will77jeff on May 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Tucson.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Oops. I reread your post when you said “Run 50 through itg” I was thinking of highway 50 which runs through through Pueblo, CO and up into the mtns.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM

The irony.

22044 on May 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Vets suffering under obama’s watch while Bradley gets a sex change on your dime.

hawkdriver on May 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I’m waiting for the full lineup from Jaibones.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM

…it’s been a couple of hours now!…I’m starting to perspire!…after 3 hours…I’ll be in a full-blown sweat!
…if he’s not here by noon…the withdrawals start!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

The irony.

22044 on May 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Dude, that was like over two hundred years ago.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 10:54 AM

hawkdriver on May 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Just about the time I think I can’t get any more angry with that bunch.

davidk on May 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM

…after 3 hours…I’ll be in a full-blown sweat!
…if he’s not here by noon…the withdrawals start!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

That’s not enough time for a round of golf.

socalcon on May 18, 2014 at 10:56 AM

’m waiting for the full lineup from Jaibones.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM

…if he’s not here by noon…the withdrawals start!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM
………………….
The entire blogopshere is waiting,where is this guy!!

rodguy911 on May 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Trey Gowdy taking it to the MSM on Benghazi

This man is so amazing!!! I admire the desire for justice that he displays and his willingness to have the determination and perseverance to pursue the cause of justice that lets him stand so fearless in the line of fire!

May God keep and protect him from harm, and may his example inspire others.

lineholder on May 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Various thoughts:

1- the ice cream truck plays the tune “Turkey in the Straw” not the lyrics from the racist ‘N****er …watermelon’ song. The PC crowd need to focus on Weird Al, if the ice cream song in racist.

2 – Remarbably, the media has spent more time on the photo/vid of the poor woman in the rest home than Bengazi/IRS together.

socalcon on May 18, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Swiss reject $24 minimum wage. Over 75% vote NO.

will77jeff on May 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Euros think that’s too low?

socalcon on May 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Re. Castro from Texas… They have been trying to build him up for the last couple years like they did Obama. My fear is they are going to nominate him for Pres. Because …. HISPANIC!….. Sorry to say I fear the votes could be there for him…

sandee on May 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

…if he’s not here by noon…the withdrawals start!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Sorry, KA2. Jb took the week off:

Jaibones on May 18, 2014 at 9:55 AM

22044 on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Jaibones on May 18, 2014 at 9:55 AM

22044 on May 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

…well!…I was as dumb as a democrat!…I was looking for the format…and didn’t see his post…
…*goes from cold sweat…to beet red!*

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM

This VA stuff really ticks me off. There are not usable facts in this for comparison of how they rate against other hospitals. Only accusations with out sufficient parameters to figure out what is good and what is bad.
Take the numbers that have been given. Oops! no real numbers only movable goal post have been actually given although some numbers have been often repeated.

Take the VA numbers of 180,000 vets/day are seen Nation wide, with 24 deaths gives a death rate of “.0000513%” I go on the INTERNET and most hospitals boast about their low rates of around 15%.

Is this a fair comparison? Of course not. But it dose show that we do not know what would be a fair comparison.

There used to be some web sites that you could compare the death rates of hospitals. They seem to all got taken down in the last few weeks.

More then 90 % of all VA personal are their because they believe in helping the VETs the best way they can. Maybe 8% are their for the pay check and 2% for the bonus.

Ah the bonus. There lies the problem. The 2% that will lie and cheat to make their bosses look good so they will get a bonus. This is the problem going through the Government. It is the failure of the system and of management.

I can not even imagine what these people are doing to get bonuses. If the Government really wanted to clear this up (I think this is just a dodge to get the heat off of the DEMS) go look at the people that got a bonus. The either earned it or they are guilty. Should not be a difficult task.

By the way I did find out that hiding hospital death rates is an international past time.

jpcpt03 on May 18, 2014 at 3:19 PM

40 veterans die (Phoenix VA facility alone) while illegal aliens simply go to the nearest emergency room, see a doctor within an hour or two and skip out without paying.

bw222 on May 18, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Good morning Jailbones.

Granholme? She’s left of left.

And Ellison is a racist.

wolly4321 on May 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Home from a golf/whiskey weekend in Michigan and trashed. But cogent enough to know that yes, Granholm is a card-carrying member of the Kook Left and the NWA (Nitwits of America).

Jaibones on May 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM

This is just a glimpse of what healthcare will be for all of us soon.

fight like a girl on May 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM

…well!…

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Quick tally of the voices offered up by the Network News Propaganda Hour to discuss the issues of the day:

• 4 Lib-Democrat Moderators and Chris Wallace
• 11 other Kook-Lefties
• 4 Doofus administration tools
• 1 Total RINO and 2 other pro-amnesty GOPers, and
• Dick and Lynne Cheney, however you would score them, exactly.

Nearly as complete a waste of time as could exist, from a conservative perspective. Not one single relevant conservative, unless you are counting flip-flopping amnestor Goodlatte.

Hope you all played golf instead.

Jaibones on May 18, 2014 at 8:57 PM