Missouri bill considers armed teachers in classrooms

posted at 2:01 pm on May 18, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

The legislature in the Show Me state has loaded up the agenda with a new proposal which, if passed, would give potential eveil-doers something to think about before they attempt an attack on a public school. If signed into law, the new bill would see some of the teachers in Missouri schools fully firearms trained and packing in the classroom.

Missouri’s state legislative session closed on Friday but not before attending to important gun-related business that will affect students in public schools around the state.

Although lawmakers failed to pass a bill that would override federal gun laws, the Republican-majority Legislature has approved and now forwarded part of that legislation to the governor’s office.

Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon will now decide whether teachers and other school personnel will be allowed to have carry and conceal firearms while on school grounds, reported the Associated Press.

School officials would receive the same firearm training as law enforcement officers. Additionally, weapons would have to be kept on the individual’s person at all times.

That aspect of the bill continues to receive criticism and praise from Missouri residents.

Clearly it’s not a given that Jay Nixon will sign this bill, but even if he does this will need to be implemented carefully in order to avoid some unintended debacle which provides new talking points to anti-second amendment activists. The need for police level training, well above and beyond that required for homeowners, hunters or other sportsmen, is a given for those working in a school environment. The challenges are different and more numerous than in usual, daily carry use. Ensuring that a weapon doesn’t fall into the hands of a potentially out of control student would be a particularly important focus and another reason to support the proposal that the weapons would have to remain on the person of the teacher at all times.

But assuming this goes through and is implemented properly, it could represent an excellent set of test cases for the future in terms of efforts to prevent more mass shootings at schools. A crazed loon intent on doing massive harm would have to take a different view of a building filled with any number of skilled, armed shooters as opposed to a locked down institute crawling with nothing but unarmed soft targets.

On a related note, at the same time that this bill passed, a second measure intended to nullify federal gun laws and prohibit state jobs for some former federal employees was defeated in a procedural maneuver.

Comments

I doubt that it passes.

VegasRick on May 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Not to be a buzzkill, but that there firearm looks like it doesn’t have a magazine inserted…

OTOH, where she is carrying that gun at? Definitely worth a second look…and maybe dinner and dancing if she’s willing :o)

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Caption contest for this article …

“What did you say to me, kid?”

Mark Boabaca on May 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Allowing qualified teachers to go armed is the single most effective way to make schools safer.

Of course it will meet with strong (and often completely hysterical) opposition from those who are desperate to prevent people from taking personal responsibility for anything, particularly for their own safety and the safety of children for whom they stand in loco parentis.

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM

What gun?

Oh, that gun. Now I see it.

A lefty, carrying reverse Mexican?

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM

How did Missouri end up with a D-rat?

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Congratulations to California Chrome!

John the Libertarian on May 18, 2014 at 2:22 PM

If it’s OK for the Department of freaking Agriculture to be outfitting itself with automatic weapons and body armor, then it seems not unreasonable to have some armed presence in the schools. Just sayin…

bofh on May 18, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I would rather have a million innocent, defenseless, children be mercilessly slaughtered than allow a single licensed teacher to have a concealed weapon.

/lib

trs on May 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Excellent deterrent against pyschopaths (who happen to be mostly democrat).

darwin on May 18, 2014 at 2:28 PM

What gun?

Oh, that gun. Now I see it.

See? It wasn’t just me being a knuckle dragging troglodyte…even though I kinda am…

A lefty, carrying reverse Mexican?

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Yeah, that’s a terrible draw choice for a teacher; especially since most of them tend to sit at a desk.

Cross-draw, butt first (not THAT one, perv!) works best.

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I cannot for the life of me, see how this would not pass. Teachers are the salt of the earth, the world’s most perfect organisms, as well as being the archetypical liberal. In other words, if anyone should have a gun, it’s a teacher.

Right?

How could they argue against this?

EvilMonk on May 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Yeah that would be just great at Normandy.

Murphy9 on May 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Cross-draw, butt first (not THAT one, perv!) works best.

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Yeah, not a good carry option if you sit a lot. But I still like the choice of illustration. Well done, Jazz.

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM

If the democrat governor doesn’t sign it means he wants kids and teachers defenseless.

darwin on May 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My only quibble with the story is that it doesn’t go into much detail on how the selection process would be made.

Are they planning on arming ALL teachers? A select few? Will they have them wearing a special designator (like a lapel pin or jacket)or more like a regular civilian carrying concealed?

Another question: who will administer the training, State or Local police, or maybe in conjunction with the NRA? Or, because I AM this cynical, will the State have one of the “Nationwide Searches” that end up with the training being given by some hack that’s politically connected to the Gov?

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I have some doubts about this program’s cost-effectiveness, but this is why federalism exists. Let them try it.

Offtopic: Jazz, are you going to write a follow up on the Swizz minimum wage increase referendum?

Considering you wrote that Switzerland seems more and more like California and once that they were all going all in on socialism, perhaps it’d be useful to not that all these referendum initiatives put up by the left have failed miserably on the ballot.

Switzerland is an economic policy nirvana when compared to the US. Their government expenditure/GDP ratio is now 5 percentage points lower and the gap is widening.

Most recent poll.

63-28 for the “no”, with 9% undecided. I suspect it won’t even be that close.

The Swiss electorate is easily the most economically literate in the world.

joana on May 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM

My guess was correct: it ended up 76-23 against the minimum wage hike.

joana on May 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM

The level of trust we give to people we hardly know just because they are teachers is almost unfathomable. Beyond reading, writing, and arithmetic, we trust them alone with our kids, we trust them to take trips with our kids, and we trust them not to sexually abuse our kids. We trust they won’t teach them bad words, bad habits, or bad morals.

We pay them differently from other state and county employees. We give them special perks and different retirement plans. We are continually told we must do this because of the trust we have in their abilities and our desire to retain such steady and capable minds. The best and the brightest.

But if 10% of the teachers want to carry concealed then the entire lot is suddenly the most untrustworthy, clumsy, prone-to-violence, ow-my-balls! idiots to ever stumble over a curb and try to pick up the same quarter superglued to the sidewalk day after day.

Square that circle.

rogerb on May 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Shouldn’t she have a magazine in that gun?

astonerii on May 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Shouldn’t she have a magazine in that gun?

astonerii on May 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM

A liberal probably took the photo believing even empty magazines can kill people.

Probably thought it was an automatic too and holds a 100 round “clip”.

darwin on May 18, 2014 at 2:57 PM

joana on May 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM

My guess was correct: it ended up 76-23 against the minimum wage hike.

joana on May 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM

“Please look at me. Please. I may have gotten one right. May have.”

hawkdriver on May 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!

If the nuns had been armed, I wouldn’t be here today!

Chuck Ef on May 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM

joana on May 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM

The Swiss topic is definitely worth a fresh look. Thanks! Will get to work on that, even if it’s for next weekend. Feel free to leave more applicable links, etc. which should be considered and I’ll do some digging also.

Jazz Shaw on May 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM

eveil-doers

Jazz?

There is no way Nixon would sign such a bill. While he hasn’t been particularly unfriendly to 2nd Amendment issues, he isn’t a champion of them either. That is how liberals like him attain power in this state. We have very active 2nd Amendment advocacy groups in the state.

Murphy9 on May 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Carrying a gun, genuinely concealed and safe, isn’t a picnic.
It’s not comfortable, but comforting.
Meanwhile, everyone starts with a big gun and ends up with a smaller gun, or thinner anyway, due to practical considerations.
It’s too big to carry and too small when needed!

That being said, how many people are trained to defend against a gun-grab? I am and other students can still wrestle the gun away from me 25% of the time when I know it’s coming. I’d require a level III retention holster.

Some smartass is gonna steal or snatch a gun from a teacher, there is zero chance that won’t happen eventually.

I’m all for it, I love guns and believe that CCW is a right, not a gift from government, don’t read this wrongly.

Oh, and she looks pretty cute from the back, huh?

Tard on May 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Jazz, you may consider combining the Switzerland reporting with the big flip in India. Yes, there was a thread on it, yesterday, but the media are generally silent on India, because it is totally against what obama and the world’s socialists wanted to happen there.

Schadenfreude on May 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Tard on May 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Valid point, Tard…that’s why for my money I would keep the program as “low key” as possible….No Identifying markers or designators for the teacher, other than them keeping the required CCW/FID card on their person whenever they’re on school grounds.

Of course, the reverse may be true and more useful in a more urban environment…either way, a teacher concealed carry program should be tailored at a school to school basis. Trying to use a “Catch-All” program from some off the shelf manual is a sure recipe for problems down the line.

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I have my doubts. Given that many teachers are pretty looney tunes in the first place, I wouldn’t be surprised if they start committing mass shootings.

Stoic Patriot on May 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM

BlaxPac on May 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM

That teacher is illegally carrying in New York, where only a single round in the chamber is allowed.

NotCoach on May 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I am going to assume the person in the picture is a woman?..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 3:47 PM

As a side benefit, it would discourage this sort of California nonsense.

Adjoran on May 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Hours before Jazz posted this, I’d been spending my Sunday morning watching Youtube videos of people challenging police resistance to open carry. (Yes, I know that’s weird, but I plan on testing open carry in Virginia as soon as I’m off probation. It was research.)

Anyway, in the course of all that, I came across the below video of a chick doing so topless in New Hampshire. Hopefully for the male students of Missouri, their teachers will follow suit:

WhatSlushfund on May 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM

How long before Obama resorts to one of his famous Executive Orders and bans firearms in School Zones?

clippermiami on May 18, 2014 at 4:01 PM

“Please look at me. Please. I may have gotten one right. May have.”

hawkdriver on May 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM

…let us ignore it!….always wants to go off topic…like its brain!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM

…you guys always ‘see so much’ just from a picture…caliber, type…all the intricacies… involved in and with that particular weapon…I looked at that picture……………………and thought to myself………….what a lucky gun!

KOOLAID2 on May 18, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Nice butt…

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM

The last time I check 18 states already have such a law and there has never been an incident. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/guns-in-schools-firearms-_n_2482168.html

amr on May 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM

OmahaConservative on May 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on May 18, 2014 at 6:51 PM

My comment disappeared; anyway 18 states allow adults/teachers to carry in schools. Google it since my link went away too.

amr on May 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM

There’s a couple of districts in Arkansas already doing this. The teachers go through training to be allowed. There was an initial outcry by the libs and guniphobes but it’s been over half a year so far and no new news.

TRB on May 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Imagine a student making a wisecrack as the teacher writes on the blackboard. Slowly looking over her shoulder hand on a sidearm.

Chills!

faol on May 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Packing something other than lunch

Snarky.

Guess we’re not really into the idea of ALL American adults being armed according to their unalienable and Constitutional rights, even on the job and regardless of that job…just sounds good in threads where we complain about Obama and Libtards I guess.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I hope somebody tries this, just to see if its a viable option.

I’ll be honest in that I don’t think it is, there’d undoubtedly tons of hoops to jump through for each teacher who wanted to bring a weapon into the school. On top of that, I doubt many school boards would sign off on it, even if it was legalized at the state level. They’d have to deal with the same hysterical reactions from parents, the teachers’ unions, etc, not to mention the inevitable hike in their insurance premiums.

Frankly that seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a policy that would almost certainly never have the opportunity to be vindicated.

LukeinNE on May 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

This is a horrible idea.

Teachers and professors are predominately leftists, who have repeatedly shown an inability to handle the adult responsibility of forearms ownership and usage.

Gary Kiehne, a candidate for Arizona’s first congressional district, recently pointed out the systemic problems with leftists having access to firearms.

Plus, leftists are notorious for perpetrating hate hoaxes, out of a desire to prove points that don’t exist. It will only be a matter of time before an activist teacher or professor commits some horrible crime in an effort show the world how horrible it is that teachers have access to firearms.

Star Bird on May 19, 2014 at 12:41 PM