Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on May 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

The Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) and Michael Sam’s representation announced Friday night that the documentary series that was set to feature the first openly gay NFL player has been postponed.

“After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, ‘The Untitled Michael Sam Project’ has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dreams of making the team,” OWN president Erik Logan said in a statement. “OWN is about elevating and empowering people to achieve their best. It’s clear that we, along with the world, recognize the opportunity that Michael has in this moment. We will continue to support him in his journey to earn a spot playing for the Rams.”

The statement also included a comment from Sam’s agent, Cameron Weiss, who met with the Rams in person on Friday.

“After today’s meeting with the Rams, we felt it is best to postpone the project,” Weiss said. “This will allow for Michael to have total focus on football, and will ensure no distractions to his teammates. Everybody involved remains committed to this project and understands its historical importance as well as its positive message.”

***

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch wondered if the Rams regretted drafting Sam just because of the series, and claimed that the NFL knew about the series while the Rams did not before the draft. The league came out strongly to deny that Friday.

“No way,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told NFL Media’s Albert Breer when asked if the NFL was aware of the series. “Did not know anything about it until after the draft and have not agreed to anything about it.”

***

A player on the St. Louis Rams, speaking on condition of anonymity, says Michael Sam’s upcoming reality show on the Oprah Winfrey Network could potentially cause friction within the team.

“It’s an interesting case that he gets to work with Oprah and have his own show, but I think it does raise eyebrows and it may be somewhat of a distraction,” the player told ESPN’s Josina Anderson. “But this is our first time dealing with something like this, so we’ll have to wait and see how it plays out and how people react.”

The player also isn’t certain if teammates are truly embracing Sam’s presence or just being politically correct when it comes to accepting the NFL’s first openly gay player.

***

Sam’s documentary is odd, if not off-putting, because after he came out in February, he asked the media not to create a circus. He told ESPN that his sexual orientation “shouldn’t matter if I work hard, if I make plays, that’s all that should matter . . . I am a team player, I can make plays. I can help teams win games. And that’s all that should matter.”

That same month at the NFL scouting combine, Sam told reporters, “I wish you guys would just say, ‘Michael Sam, how’s football going? How’s training going?’ I wish you guys would just see me as Michael Sam the football player instead of Michael Sam the gay football player.”

By signing on with OWN, Sam wants his pioneering both ways

Sensible people do not want to see Sam fail to make the NFL simply because he is openly gay. But he should remember the class displayed by his pathbreaking predecessors. Robinson and Aaron had enough hate to deal without adding fuel to the fire by boasting, “I’m black and I’m proud,” every time they crossed home plate after a home run.

***

It all feels orchestrated now: the draft-day kiss; the cake-covered face; the tears; the celebration that conveniently captured just Sam, his boyfriend and his two agents; and even the “Stand with Sam” T-shirts selling on michaelsam.com…

Michael Sam, the football player, is being used … by everyone. Weiss, Barkett and Bragman are cashing in. Oprah is hoping an attachment to the NFL can breathe life into her network the way the league does for CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN. The LGBT movement appears to be more concerned with Sam advancing the cause than making the roster. And, yes, the cause is more important than football. But playing football advances the cause a lot more than Real World St. Louis…

I believe Michael Sam can play in the NFL. I’ve written that, and stand by those words. His approach to making a roster is wrong. The NFL unemployment line is littered with guys who had enough talent to play but brought the wrong attitude. In terms of approach, Sam reminds me of Vince Young, the Texas quarterback who came to the league with the wrong handlers in his ear and washed out at a young age…

I support Michael Sam and the movement he represents. However, if I were Rams coach Jeff Fisher, I’d consider cutting $am today. He’s a marginal player with questionable focus on the game.

***

Ask Tebow, if you can find him. He’s out of the league now, probably for good, because he just wasn’t worth the noise. Denver got a taste of it and moved him to the Jets. The Jets had Tebow just long enough to decide they’d rather stick with Mark Sanchez too long, and then replace him with Greg McElroy, rather than giving Tebow the chance to do some of the Denver magic and win some games and then what? Then the Jets would be stuck with Tebow, stuck with all that noise. The Patriots brought in Tebow because the Patriots are soundproof, and maybe because Bill Belichick is buddies with Tebow’s mentor, Urban Meyer. But Tebow was never going to play there. He didn’t. And now he’s gone…

Sam is generating Tebow-like noise, and Tebow noise will get a guy cut. Ironic doesn’t begin to describe the similarity between Tebow and Sam, but both have more gravitas as a social experiment than as a football prospect. Tebow is the devout evangelist, hero to the conservative Christian masses, and that’s where the noise came from. It came from both sides, from those who love him and his worldview, and those who are offended by it. The noise was too much, but the noise wasn’t Tebow’s fault. He did a commercial here and there, and he talked about his faith all the time, but he never asked to be ground zero of the growing debate in this country about religion and its place in sports. We did that to Tebow, not vice versa.

Michael Sam? He’s doing some of it to himself. Certainly noise was going to happen around Sam regardless, even if he hadn’t kissed his boyfriend after being drafted, live on ESPN and then in a picture posted to Twitter of him kissing his boyfriend’s cake-smeared face. Michael Sam is the first openly gay player in the most popular sports league in this country: He doesn’t need any help generating noise.

But a documentary on the Oprah Winfrey Network? With cameras following him as much as the Rams will allow? That’s a lot of noise.

***

This isn’t a football issue, or even a matter of distraction. This is me just saying that a reality show is always a transparent and pathetic exercise in self-branding. It’s what Darren Rovell would do if he were an athlete. There’s no reason to expect Sam to be any more authentic a public figure than any other football player. But between the carefully scripted public-relations campaign that inaugurated his coming-out and now the news that his life will be a reality show overseen by Oprah Winfrey, the queen of aspirational disingenuousness, our first openly gay NFL player seems to exist now entirely within quotation marks. He is another packaged product being sold to us at heavy markup—commodified smarm at best, and at worst something downright cynical, something that leverages real emotions in service of a marketing strategy. No one wants to find out that Lou Gehrig’s farewell speech was copywritten by a dude at Pfizer…

It does him no favors to be part of this, but here we are anyway, and everything feels just a little icky. Our first openly gay player in the NFL is a total abstraction, a commercial for himself, an actor named Michael Sam playing the role of “Michael Sam” on The Michael Sam Show. Those quotation marks he’s trapped inside of are looking more and more like another kind of closet.

***

People also seem to be pissed about Sam’s insistence that he just wanted to make his transition to the pros about football and only football. Do you know what a documentary even is? It’s not an art film where he’ll have to chain himself to a bridge and protest a war. It’s not Godzilla 2 being shot on location in Guam. It’s the least invasive type of media in existence — and it does absolutely nothing to change Sam’s commitment to, or focus on football.

The only people who seem to lose focus about his documentary are the anonymous teammates who are totally jealous because no one gives a rat’s ass about their off field life…

I think his decision to acquiesce Oprah’s offer is not only acceptable, but actually more about professional football than people recognize. It’s a team sport filled with attention starved, underpaid, critically injured, often anonymous players who rarely are recognized in public (if you could pick out seven of your favorite squad’s special teamers out of a crowd, I’d give you $100).

Honestly, agreeing to build a brand at the behest of a media mogul is just about the most football thing I can think of. Who can fault him for that?

***

The NFL media don’t like the idea of a player having independent control of his public image, and so, in order to justify their distaste, they—the professional purveyors of image, the bards of the sideshow—invent the vague, question-begging category of sin known as “causing a distraction.”…

There’s a misdemeanor hypocrisy in Sam claiming he wants to be just another football player while securing a reality show or documentary about his efforts. But there’s more than a little disingenuousness, too, in the media pretending to take the former at face value but then swarming the seventh-round pick’s press conference. (Also, the assurance from Sam’s camp that this was entirely about football was plainly a tactical concession, designed not to rile the homophobes who worry that the Rams’ locker room is about to erupt into a pride parade.) It’s almost as if Sam isn’t just another football player…

This isn’t an NFL-exclusive issue, but it’s prevalent there in part because the football media have historically been a courtier press, friendly to the league and its interests and receiving favorable treatment in return. Various outlets thrive on inside access—mic’d up players, first-person essays, etc.—until a player dares to open up somewhere that isn’t within the usual circle. Then, his dedication to the game is questioned. Then, he’s creating distractions. How serious can he be about football if he’s whoring himself out to a TV show, wonders someone on ESPN. Gosh, something smells, says the fart.

The irony is that, in this narrow regard, Michael Sam is being treated like any other player, forced to deal with the same kind of bullshit that fellow rookie A.J. McCarron got over his possible involvement in an actual reality show. We create the celebrities around here, the NFL media seems to be telling him. No savoring the trail you’ve blazed, bud. Work until you’re either on the squad or off of our headlines. But before you go, can you give us a quote on which of your new teammates talked to you after you got drafted? Got any phone calls yet? Texts? What’d they say?

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

31giddyup on May 18, 2014 at 4:44 AM

I will lay out the galley to my needs..
I don’t have a quad I have a raft..
so the raft goes in when driving out west..
and on top to shuttle up and down river..
so my inside will be different..
do you have water and tanks or is yours dry?..
do you have a gas stove too??..
roughing it would mean I forgot the champagne at home..
and that’s just not gonna happen…

going2mars on May 18, 2014 at 4:50 AM

I have moved on. Why can’t the media?

Theophile on May 18, 2014 at 4:41 AM

I’m fairly certain the man’s orientation is a matter of complete indiffernce to most of us, but the media have no intention of “moving on”. Doing so would undercut the narrative of conservatives as bigots. Can’t have that.

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 4:52 AM

I’m listening to more of their stuff on youtube. Beautiful. I love the horns and reeds. Seems like younger generations have never heard those sounds.

Basin Street Blues

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 4:45 AM

I agree with you, they’re good. I don’t understand how anyone could like modern pop music. It’s not very musical. It’s doesn’t flow nicely. Most of the writers of it are not good at what they’d tell us they’re trying to accomplish. I think it should be labeled “narcissistic pop.”

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM

This is an example of what I’d call narcissistic pop. She has an absolutely amazing voice. But her songs suck. Bad.

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:00 AM

Here is the link

Kimbra – Settle Down

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:01 AM

Why in the world should we care if he is gay?
He is gay. O.k..
I don’t care because I don’t see people in those terms. Those terms only matter to people who focus on them.
I have moved on. Why can’t the media?
Theophile on May 18, 2014 at 4:41 AM

That’s exactly what they WANT you to do, move on. Don’t resist, don’t cry out, don’t point out that the High Priestess of Baal is using her vast fortune and influence to further undermine the fundamental building blocks of a stable and moral society.

Just go about your own business and everything will be just swell.

Nothing to see here.

Cleombrotus on May 18, 2014 at 5:08 AM

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM
non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:00 AM
non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:01 AM

Simple music for simple minds. We used to expect that children would progress beyond simple things. Now people are more focused on developing childrens’ “self-esteem”, without expecting them to earn it. Simple gratification takes the place of developing more discriminating and more sophisticated tastes.

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 5:11 AM

31giddyup on May 18, 2014 at 4:44 AM

I will lay out the galley to my needs..
I don’t have a quad I have a raft..
so the raft goes in when driving out west..
and on top to shuttle up and down river..
so my inside will be different..
do you have water and tanks or is yours dry?..
do you have a gas stove too??..
roughing it would mean I forgot the champagne at home..
and that’s just not gonna happen…

going2mars on May 18, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Ours is dry. Though you can get very small sink w/space for water, also a small refrigerator. We have a propane stove but with electricity I use Induction burner/s. I plan for needs depending were we go with or without hookups. Induction cooking and especially just boiling water in high altitutde is quick, safe. I use nesting cookware. I also have an electric three in one pressure cooker, rice cooker, and slow cooker. Cuts down the clutter.
Like your idea of roughing it. My dad, at the age of 12, took supply pack mules to ranger fire look outs in the Shasta area in the 30′s. A true mountain man. He was brave enough to take four daughter’s on camping trips where you left the land as you found it. He’d throw a mattress with sleeping bags and groceries in the back of his truck and off we went. There were no facilities. This drop is a luxury in comparison.

31giddyup on May 18, 2014 at 5:20 AM

thanks for all the tunes .. non-non n nova..
and all the ideas and info 31giddyup
the sun is coming up…im out…cheers.

going2mars on May 18, 2014 at 5:21 AM

novaculus on May 18, 2014 at 5:11 AM

I agree with you, again. It isn’t loving to indulge a kid’s every whim. Whenever I see someone all tatted up, I know they’re making up for something they missed as kids.

Musically, from the rock side, I place the initial blame on Pearl Jam. When I first heard them, I gagged at how self-absorbed they were. Their unpleasant influence on modern pop music should not be underestimated.

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Good morning whoever of you are still there. G2 seems to leave just as I come on. Cold here. I don’t know yet if we have frost. I would like to get hold of a small motor home. My little Ranger won’t tow anything.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:28 AM

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Am I wrong or is a lot of music just made electronically.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:31 AM

31giddyup on May 18, 2014 at 5:20 AM

im thinking dry too..
double gas burner
but I do like the induction idea..
like the one on tv.. the nu- something??
im also cooler no fridge..
I have done this by 32 foot motor home..
it gets 6 miles to the gallon..
so I leave it in the driveway..
downsizing is a good thing..

going2mars on May 18, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Mornin- Rhonda?

bazil9 on May 18, 2014 at 5:33 AM

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:28 AM

goodmorning COL…
im fading fast over here..
but I saved a link for you..

Dragon Capsule returning to earth..live

going2mars on May 18, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Am I wrong or is a lot of music just made electronically.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:31 AM

You’re right. I am heavily biased toward artists who focus on playing real musical instruments, and have a disdain for Auto-Tune. =)

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:35 AM

going2mars on May 18, 2014 at 5:34 AM

Thanks. It isn’t until this afternoon so I hope I remember to watch.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:36 AM

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:35 AM

Anyone can make music after a fashion just using those buttons on a kid’s keyboard.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:38 AM

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Yep. And everyone thinks they’re a good artist nowadays lol. No doubt there’s talent out there, but it is not developed as well as it used to be. How many bands still work their way up the ranks in front of live audiences? Why does anyone think people like Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, and Selena Gomez have credible musical ability? Major league sports have their minor leagues for a reason. =)

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:48 AM

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 5:48 AM

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:53 AM

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:53 AM

There have always been acts like this – think of all the past boy bands – but from my understanding, around 2000 the industry made a decision to focus on singles’ sales rather than albums, and started focusing on younger, unproven acts as a vehicle. The prevalence of shows like The Voice have contributed a lot to the change, too.

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 6:05 AM

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 6:05 AM

I remember those boy groups.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 6:09 AM

I remember those boy groups.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 6:09 AM

Were you a NKOTB fan? =)

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 6:15 AM

Slightly off-topic but whenever I see people like Oprah Winfrey with her multi-millions actively engaged in the culture, or guys like Warren Buffet giving his billion to pro-abortion groups, or nobodies like Barak Obama becoming overnight the most powerful political person in the world, I can’t help but recall Satan’s words to Jesus when he took Him up to a high place and, it says, ‘ showed Him all the kingdom’s of the world in a single moment of time’, “All this has been delivered to me and I give it to whomever I will…”

Cleombrotus on May 18, 2014 at 6:22 AM

Were you a NKOTB fan? =)

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 6:15 AM

I don’t know. What is it?

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 6:44 AM

The Monkees – Sometime in the Morning

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 6:47 AM

I don’t know. What is it?

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 6:44 AM

New Kids on the Block.

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 6:47 AM

New Kids on the Block.

non-nonpartisan on May 18, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Way after my time. I remember them existing, though. What was that other group, Milly Vanilly or something.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Milly Vanilly

i remember now. They were in trouble because it was found out they weren’t really singing.

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Milly Vanilly

crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM

What a quaint time that was, when we expected our singers to sing.

AcidReflux on May 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Blessed Sabbath, Patriots! And, Trolls.

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? – Romans 8:31-35

(ESV)

My take: The War Against Christianity: Would I Be Willing to Die For Christ?

kingsjester on May 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM

A lot of these people are invented. They find someone that looks good and can more or less carry a tune and turn them into a star with a lot of noise and flash. crankyoldlady on May 18, 2014 at 5:53 AM

And AutoTune.

Akzed on May 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM

The continues attempts to equate this deviant practice to that of the plight of Black people sickens me.

Zaire67 on May 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM

yep…… it’s undeniable that the biggest problem that modern sporting events suffer is an unforgivable lack of men who suck penises. Thank gawd the St. Louis Rams drafted the openly homosexual defensive end Michael Sam.

It means that no child will ever grow up in a world where there is no such thing as a gay pro football player. That’s pretty powerful.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on May 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM

inordinate?

Axe on May 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Inordinate, and that’s my final offer.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Thanks.

Doesn’t feel right, but that just might be it.

Bigbullets on May 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

LANCEMAN LIVES!

AsianGirlInTights on May 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I don’t understand this obsession with perversion and why anyone would want to brag about it. Homosexuals, of course, are not the only perverts. There are guys, for instance, who want women to urinate on them. But whether we are talking about “golden boys” or “golden showers” it is still perversion. And how many ‘golden shower’ devotees are demanding GOLDEN SHOWER POWER?

MaiDee on May 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I am waiting for the day he:

1) gets cut and claims it is because he’s a f@ggot.

2) he touches a fellow player wrong (real or perceived) and the team unloads on him.

3) 1 and 2.

Bubba Redneck on May 19, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Now I am off to sleep. Until next time, HotAir!

bluegill on May 18, 2014 at 3:38 AM

Dang it! Missed you. Had a question for you. Maybe QOTD this evening?

Bmore on May 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM