Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on May 16, 2014 by Allahpundit

SunTrust Banks is cutting ties with would-be reality stars David and Jason Benham after liberal activists attacked them for their conservative views on abortion and gay marriage, The Daily Caller has learned.

In a statement provided first to TheDC on Friday, the Benham brothers confirmed that SunTrust Banks has pulled all of its listed properties with the Benham brothers’ bank-owned property business, which includes several franchisees across four states…

“If our faith costs us our HGTV show and our business, then so be it,” said Jason Benham on Friday.

“We were caught off-guard with this one,” David Benham said of SunTrust’s actions. “Keeping us off television wasn’t enough, now this agenda to silence wants us out of the marketplace.”

***

***

I may be a Christian, but my money is still green. And I’m not going to spend any of my green stuff in places that partner up with HGTV. I did before. It didn’t bother me a bit that they had openly gay people doing design work. I wasn’t turned away by shows with gay couples buying houses for themselves. I don’t agree with gay marriage, but that doesn’t mean I have a hate on for gay people.

However, when HGTV gets a hate on for people like me, who don’t agree with gay marriage, my money is going someplace else.

So, bye, bye, Sherwin Williams. Hello Benjamin Moore.

***

I’m constantly seeing conservative say idiotic things like “Well, the bank/corporation/NFL/NBA had the right to fire/fine/assign to reeducation camp a person deemed to have committed Speechcraft, so there’s no First Amendment implications.”

And I’ll continue to ask these lunatics: And in what other sphere of human activity to we ever stop the analysis at whether or not an organization or individual has the naked right to do something, without asking further if it is ethical or right-minded to do that thing?…

I can only guess at the rationale for this: Some people are trying to remain consistent with their past claims that corporations were right to fire people for expressing forbidden progressive thoughts. This attempt at consistency requires them, they think, to bless each fresh corporate purge of a conservative speaker…

[I]nstead of trying to be consistent by declaring that people can and should be fired for saying virtually anything conservative at all, how about attempting the opposite consistency of declaring that people generally should not be fired for their personal political beliefs?

***

A number of news outlets credited Right Wing Watch with drawing attention to the Benham’s pro-life, pro-traditional marriage views. But what is Right Wing Watch and who is behind it?

The answer: The anti-Christian conservative effort in Hollywood.

Right Wing Watch is a project of the liberal advocacy group People for the American Way, which started with an assist from the left-wing Tides Foundation…

This left-wing network of groups — and the people who run them — have been connected to past campaigns to silence television personalities who have expressed conservative beliefs on social issues…

People for the American Way, perhaps ironically, is also a member of the National Coalition Against Censorship — a group that has protested the silencing of people based on their views on homosexuality.

***

“We feel as though God wants us to actually stand up, lift Him up — lift up His standard, silence this bully and lift up the banner of Jesus Christ in this situation. So that’s our goal right now,” Jason told CBN News.

The twins say that bully is an agenda from some militant gay groups and others on the left bearing down on America in what some describe as a “silencing war” on religious freedom.

“We do feel compelled by God that we need to point this nation back to our foundation in Jesus Christ,” David told CBN News. “We need to point this nation back to the fact that we do have religious freedom and religious liberty and the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press and freedom of expression.”

***

A couple of different networks could announce as early as today that they are interested in forming a show starring David and Jason Benham, the two brothers who say they were dumped by HGTV because they object to same-sex marriage.

One of the networks, The Hollywood Reporter has learned, is INSP TV, which reaches 75 million homes with content that honors “traditional values.”…

The brothers told THR on Monday that, while HGTV had previously wanted them to host a real estate show, other networks were interested in them for different concepts, including shows that would have also focused on their wives and kids, their fitness routines and their various other business. The brothers describe themselves as “serial entrepreneurs” who didn’t necessarily seek out a TV show, even though, prior to the gay-marriage controversy, they had been approached by five different networks.

***

After an uproar from conservative customers, SunTrust Banks announced Friday afternoon that the decision to end its relationship with real estate entrepreneurs David and Jason Benham had been reversed

By Friday afternoon, SunTrust released a statement saying the decision had been reversed. The bank didn’t go into detail about why they originally cut ties with the Benham brothers, though SunTrust said the decision was made by a third party vendor. TheDC reported earlier Friday that the vendor had told a Benham Brothers franchisee that the bank itself made the decision.

“We clarified our policies with our vendor and they have reinstated the listings with Benham Real Estate,” SunTrust spokeswoman Beth McKenna said…

Added McKenna: “SunTrust supports the rights of all Americans to fully exercise their freedoms granted under the Constitution, including those with respect to free speech and freedom of religion.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:04 AM

I hear you. It’s very sad to see what’s happened with radio and the industry.

non-nonpartisan on May 17, 2014 at 4:34 AM

They brought most of it on themselves, but… The Computer industry didn’t help either. The computer industry knew that copyright infringement was rampant because of both the internet and digital technologies, but didn’t care because those were part of their revenue stream.

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:42 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM

worked there on n off for 8 years now..
didn’t see Vampires..
also didn’t see the movie..
was it filmed there?..

I worked by where that guy crashed his Porsche..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Discreetly? Is discretion required? Are the bootleg police on your trail?

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 4:34 AM

I knew this guy. He may still be doing studio work. I’d rather not broadcast his name. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:41 AM

ohh… send me a note of what im suppose to say in court..

and five bucks…k

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:46 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:36 AM

worked there on n off for 8 years now..
didn’t see Vampires..
also didn’t see the movie..
was it filmed there?..

I worked by where that guy crashed his Porsche..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM

I don’t know if it was actually filmed there, but that is where the story takes place. It’s actually an interesting twist on the Vampire theme, and it has got the Corey’s in it, and Keefer Sutherland.

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:48 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Whatever you think is best, babe.

When You’re Tired Of Breakin’ Other Hearts

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:46 AM

You aren’t going to court. ‘Cause I’m discreet. :)

Didn’t you see how well I did with Nova grilling me? And he’s a pro, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Real country.

Walkin’ On My Dreams

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 4:10 AM

You can’t go wrong with these guys.

The Louvin Brothers – The Christian Life

non-nonpartisan on May 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM

What would be great would be if we could sit down and go though my collection together, Nova. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:53 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM

its just us girls in here no one will know…
liberate yourself of the answer.. tell us..!!
we don’t want to HAVE to waterboard you in your own pool now..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:54 AM

You aren’t going to court. ‘Cause I’m discreet. :)

Didn’t you see how well I did with Nova grilling me? And he’s a pro, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Oh, honey. I didn’t even bring it. I would never turn the blowtorch on you, hon.

Some lying’ bastich under oath on the stand, that’s a whole different story. Cross-examination was my bestest skill.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM

we don’t want to HAVE to waterboard you in your own pool now..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Hmmm… decides now would be a good time to not say what I’m thinking… La la la la la… thinking decidedly innocent thought, nothing about Jackie in the pool… <— wink wink…

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Live With Me – Humble Pie

Just found this.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:57 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM

your welcome.. tips hat’

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:58 AM

A substantial portion of my youtube saves have been taken down. At least the bookmarks serve as reminders. Often they go back up, come back down….

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 4:37 AM

I don’t know if you know or care, but there are free programs and addons you can use to easily download YT videos.

non-nonpartisan on May 17, 2014 at 4:59 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM

In that case I thank you, kind sir. :)

Saves me getting all dolled up and batting my eyelashes at you. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:01 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM

think she floats??

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:02 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM

your welcome.. tips hat’

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Hey… I’m trying to be… Ummm whatcha call it, umm galant here… or some thing…

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 5:03 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:56 AM

your welcome.. tips hat’

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 4:58 AM

You guys. Do I have to keep an eye on you all the time? :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:03 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:02 AM

You’re in such trouble, g2m. lol!

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:05 AM

Join Me – Gregorian/Amelia Brightman

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:06 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 5:03 AM

Thank you, Mr. Wilde. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:07 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:05 AM

I never said you weighed the same as a duck…never..
I was just asking if you float..
it was a question..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:08 AM

Live With Me – Humble Pie

Just found this.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:57 AM

Oh, that’s sweet.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Ok, time for me to call it a night… Good night everyone…

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM

Saves me getting all dolled up and batting my eyelashes at you. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:01 AM

That wouldn’t work when I’m lawyerin’.

OK, it might work.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:08 AM

lol! I see.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM

G’night Oscar. Always fun to visit with you.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:12 AM

sleep well ow.. watch those fires..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:13 AM

non-nonpartisan on May 17, 2014 at 4:59 AM

Don’t get me started. I’m too much a pack rat as it is.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:15 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM

lol! You’re sweet.

I’m going to have to leave you guys to it. g2m wants to teach me to surf tied to a board or something.

Best go back to work while I still can. :)

It was great spending some time with you again, Nova. :)

Goodnight. :) Sleep well.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:15 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:11 AM

ok here is a make up property,,, near Glacier Nat Park
and the north and middle forks of the flathead river..

friends again??

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:16 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:16 AM

Okay…but I’m not going rafting with you. lol!

Goodnight. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:19 AM

sleep well ms J…tyvm..and be safe..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:21 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 4:53 AM

Someday.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:22 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:15 AM

Treasured moments. Until next time.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:24 AM

Someday

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Okay…but I’m not going rafting with you. lol!

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2014 at 5:19 AM

you just don’t want me to know you float…
life vest or no life vest…im on to ya blondie..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:28 AM

great tunes tonight nova…thanks

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM

Thanks. I tend to post whatever I’m listening to, and that can jump around a bit. But I do listen to what other people are playing, and sometimes that has an influence. I’m always a bit surprised I don’t get some flak over the more obscure stuff, and gratified folks seem to enjoy it.

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:39 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 5:39 AM

some of your tunes shake a memory
and others your turning us on to different stuffs
so its all good ..

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:44 AM

I have to fall down.. before the sun comes up..
thanks again nova..
I’ll leave you with some
Cosmic Messenger Live

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. It looks like you made good use of your time overnight. I was worried last night when I looked out and saw the moon. I was afraid it would be clear and frost my plants. But it appears to be 43 so it should be alright. Going back to see what I missed.

crankyoldlady on May 17, 2014 at 6:00 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2014 at 5:53 AM

OK, that is pretty cool. Jean Luc played with some great bands and did some fine stuff on his own too.

I’m calling it a night too.

King Kong

novaculus on May 17, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Very late to the thread.

In the Daily Caller excerpt there’s this line:

But what is Right Wing Watch and who is behind it?

The answer: The anti-Christian conservative effort in Hollywood.

Why the mention of “conservative”? Yes, this effort sounds anti-Christian, but it sounds libertine/leftist, not conservative. Thoughts?

Nice to see SunTrust reconsider.

People don’t think it’s time to take our country back? Here’s another case in point.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Country music has had a long rich tradition of openly christian, openly patriotic artists, but that is starting to change as the country artists become more and more the Rock/Metal artists of the 80′s and 90′s.

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Good discussions overnight. I’m sure there are people still doing real country. And there are people doing things in their garages just like back in the old dayexcept now they can go on Youtube. I hate that rock and roll died. But we still have the old stuff to play again.

crankyoldlady on May 17, 2014 at 7:05 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Good morning fellow Ohioan.

crankyoldlady on May 17, 2014 at 7:07 AM

I think it meant anti-christian and anti-conservative. They just didn’t bother with punctuation.

crankyoldlady on May 17, 2014 at 7:09 AM

The PC nazis are emboldened and smell blood in the water and there is one big target they will get to soon.

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Catholic Church?

jmtham156 on May 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Catholic Church?

jmtham156 on May 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM

That was discussed at the National Catholic Conference last week.

It’s coming and Catholics better be prepared for it…many will fall by the wayside when faced with it.

workingclass artist on May 17, 2014 at 7:36 AM

So, bye, bye, Sherwin Williams. Hello Benjamin Moore.

Benjamin Moore is a better quality paint anyhow.

workingclass artist on May 17, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Catholic Church?

jmtham156 on May 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM

We are all Catholics now.

esr1951 on May 17, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Sam cut the deal with OWN before he was drafted and didn’t tell the team about it…

“The planned documentary by the Oprah Winfrey Network on Michael Sam, the NFL’s first openly gay player, has been postponed.

Erik Logan, president of the network, said Friday that the postponement was made after meetings with the St. Louis Rams.

‘After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, “The Untitled Michael Sam Project” has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dream of making the team,’ Logan said in a statement.

The first openly gay football player to be selected in the draft was to be the focus of a new multi-part documentary series to air on Oprah’s OWN network, produced by the same crew that filmed Lindsay Lohan’s reality show.

‘We are honored that Michael is trusting us with his private journey in this moment that has not only made history but will shape it forever,’ Oprah Winfrey said in a statement.”

As a seventh-round draft pick, Sam will face hefty challenges just to make the Rams. Being the subject of a TV documentary could have been a major distraction for the defensive end from Missouri…”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2631026/Michael-Sams-documentary-series-Oprah-Winfreys-network-postponed-indefinitely-following-discussions-Rams.html#ixzz31yOkcZ1e
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

workingclass artist on May 17, 2014 at 7:56 AM

The local SunTrust (where I bank) is just two blocks away. I was about to withdraw my entire savings from there when the word came in through Allahpundit that the bank had reversed its decision. So my deposits will stay there, for now.

Of course, SunTrust will now face excoriation from the libs for not going through with their initial knee-jerk plan. Let’s see if SunTrust stands its ground on its reversal.

oakland on May 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM

…After having consulted with our lawyers, PR firm and angry conservative clients, lol.

First. That last statement by SunTrust should have been their first statement.

Fallon on May 17, 2014 at 8:43 AM

First. That last statement by SunTrust should have been their first statement.

Fallon on May 17, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I expect there was a legal problem and they didn’t realize these guys had so much money in their bank.

crankyoldlady on May 17, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.

First off, May God continue to bless those fine, young Christian Men of Courage.

Second, Unfortunately for President Obama, the forced resignation of a sacrificial lamb is not going to get him off the hook.

My take: Obama: “Quality Healthcare For Everyone”…Except Our Veterans

kingsjester on May 17, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Why do I keep writing to people and they keep not writing back?

Horatia on May 17, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I’ll write you back. Write me something next time you see me on thread. ; )

Bmore on May 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Liberal fascists be hatin’.

Philly on May 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM

The ironic thing is if the Benhams hadn’t ever said anything about homosexuality, gay hgtv viewers would have been drooling over them on their show every week. Hunky, blonde, muscle-dude twins, it can’t get much better than that from the gay male perspective.

According to a woman Democrat on FOX last night, I can but conclude that it is now the Democratic position that anyone who is pro-life and traditional marriage needs to be driven out of their livelihood. I can’t understand why she was on FOX. Why isn’t she demanding sponsor and bank boycotts of FOX, GOP pols, conservative think tanks and pundits, churches, etc.? Why limit this to trying to destroy the Benhams?

Unlike a lot of people here I’m a social Libertarian and don’t agree with the Benhams’ views, but this attempt to destroy them for having contrary opinions disgusts me and is one big reason I hate the Left. This won’t stop with the Benhams; the PC police, or Big Brother as Orwell called it, will come after us all eventually.

BushyGreen on May 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM

kingsjester on May 17, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Being a neophyte on HA, or, a (y’all fill in the blank), I’m gonna try and tread lightly here.

JSYK, I’m a big supporter generally of Christian/conservative perspectives, and applaud specifically your family’s long history of patriotic service in the military.
But in reading your blog link and seeing that during the ten+ years of Viet Nam, you cite, apparently as an affirmation of your cred, that: you “knew a fella who served in the Army,” your brother-in-law was in the Navy, and your cousin served ‘then’ too…

I’m thinking, ‘Dude’ – you should have gotten out more. There were plenty of us around.

mpower on May 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM

That was my favorite period of in Hollywood history. I grew up glued to AMC channel, and I think I have seen almost every old movies AMC and TCM could throw at me, and I never saw one movie with homosexuality and with nudity.

I mean Mae West was considered risque for her time. But she was freaking Mae West.

Can you provide examples of those movies with homosexuality and nudity you talk of. I am really curious.

Tribute to pre-code Hollywood. Hollywood Golden Age.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM

sorry.. went to bed last night after posting… here is a good video with examples of pre-code hollywood homosexuality and references to nudity. They had some pretty bizarre movies back then.. it was not my favorite time. When they cleaned up their act.. that was when it actually ushered in their “golden age.” And the codes were pretty common sense.. don’t glorify violence.. don’t glorify crime.. don’t make heroes out of criminals and don’t glorify sex or adultery.

But the point is… when enough people committed to the boycotts.. it worked. The big giant of Hollywood caved and in my opinion it was for the better.

JellyToast on May 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM

SunTrust Reverses Decision On Conservative Benham Brothers

Akzed on May 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

mpower on May 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Ain’t that the truth?

Nearly everybody our age was in. If your lottery number wasn’t well over 300 … .

davidk on May 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I filled out an application about five years ago here in slower, lower DE that asked what my lottery number was.

davidk on May 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM

It has to do with how code is written. Shift register right shift register right shift register left, comes out that way for a specific function call regardless of who writes it.

oscarwilde on May 17, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Wow. Not only a Theoretical Physicist, Rock Star and Astronaut but Master Coder as well.

“Shift register right shift register right shift register left, comes out that way for a specific function call regardless of who writes it.

heh

DarkCurrent on May 17, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Liar. I have well into six digits in a SunTrust fund. It is coming out.

Jaibones on May 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

The war gets worst everyday till it ends.

gwhh on May 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM