Allen West on 2016: God may be getting me ready for something else

posted at 2:01 pm on May 16, 2014 by Allahpundit

Ben Carson said something similar about his own calling to run for office. Maybe a crowded field is divinely ordained.

Dave Weigel has the quote:

The first question to West, after a long ovation, was whether he’d run for another office. He’d actually speculated about running for president one day earlier, on Ben Shapiro’s radio show, and the topic had come up in a VIP reception before the dinner.

“I know there are ministers here, so I want to get this right. It says in Proverbs Ch. 3, verses 5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. I could sit around here saying what I think I want to do, but my mommy and daddy taught me that you write those plans in pencil and dear God will erase them. I never thought I’d be standing here in Floyd County talking to you, but I am. I will always be a servant to this great nation, and any way that God believes I can serve America, I will. We will see what he has in store for me, because I think he maybe is getting me ready for something else.”

That earned West another ovation.

After listening to the key bit from the Shapiro interview yesterday (embedded below), it sounded to me like West isn’t seriously thinking of running. He admitted that he was considering it but then stressed that that doesn’t mean he’s going to do it. My takeaway was that he’s telling his supporters that he’s open to it in the interest of not disappointing them before he has to, but when push comes to shove, he’s not going to run. Now, after hearing how the crowd reacted to his “ready for something else” comment in Weigel’s piece, I’m not sure. Or have we misinterpreted what he meant? (I.e. “something else” besides the presidential campaign?)

If West does jump in, though, who’s the main beneficiary? The more crowded the conservative side of the field gets, the easier it’ll be for a strong centrist candidate in the Romney mold to compete and maybe even win in Iowa. The establishment dream scenario is for every big tea-party name in America to run while the center consolidates around a single champion, ensuring that righties split every which way while the centrist soars to 35-40 percent right off the bat. Here’s a tidbit from Myra Adams about consolidation efforts already afoot:

So things don’t look so encouraging for Rubio. But he may not be seriously eyeing a White House run anyway: A high-ranking GOP party official who asked that his name be withheld told me on Monday that Jeb Bush’s people have just met with Rubio’s people and a 2016 deal was struck. If Jeb runs for president then Rubio would drop out—and “Jeb is running,” according to my well-placed source. (Alert the media!)

The pressure from the donor class on Rubio and Christie not to run if Jeb does will be tremendous, precisely because they don’t want their base splitting. If righties seriously want to thwart Bush 3.0 (or Christie/Rubio 1.0), they should do something similar and coalesce around a conservative champion like Ted Cruz as early as possible. As it is, having a rock-ribbed righty like West jump in will siphon off votes from Cruz and the social-con candidates, which means that the early primaries will be more interesting and the rest of the race will be … less so. Oh well. We’re probably all going to settle on Scott Walker in the end anyway.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bishop!!..:)

Dire Straits on May 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM

People need to stop getting God in everything… This is getting ridiculous… God does not interfere in politics, war, money, wealth, the super vast majority of things that humans ask him for help…

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Haha. Another one God is talking to. God is freaking busy this year. There won’t be any room on that debate podium after God is done telling people to run for president. lol

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

PRay about it Allen, and we’ll be praying for you.

Murphy9 on May 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Not even remotely qualified yet.

Sacramento on May 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Or he could be saying he will take over Rubio seat in the senate. If Rubio runs for president, he will lose his seat in the senate.

I hope that is what West is thinking. He will be a good senator.

BroncosRock on May 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Yeah, the alleged creator of the universe really cares about GOP primary candidates running for president.

Good Lt on May 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I can’t see this happening..:)

Dire Straits on May 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM

A mother and father filling out paperwork to enroll their child into a public school. Behind them promenently displayed is a chart showing the results of kids that go to this school. Low test scores. Low graduation rates. Low college attendence. Lower degree attainment. Lower wages. Higher unemployment. In the next scene you see them at a charter school with charts showing much better scores.

A mother and father filling out paperwork to get a mortgage for their home at a large national bank. Behind them promenently displayed is the local, state and national debt projections. In the next scene you see them at a local banker with charts that are showing much less future debt.

A mother and father filling out paperwork to start a retirement account at a large national entity. Behind them promenently displayed is social security statistics. How much people used to pay in social security taxes. How much current social security taxes are. How much future social security taxes will have to be. How many workers used to support 1 social security recipient. How many workers support current social security recipients. How many future workers who will be supporting 1 social security recipient. The a chart showing the path for what a social security recipient could expect to get back. In the past, currently and in the future. In the next scene they are at a more local account company which shows a better future outlook as each person is supporting themselves.

A father is applying for a job at a union shop. Behind him promenently displayed are charts showing the past, present and future of the company and its suppliers and customers. It shows a reasonably good past, an enemic present and a fast deteriorating future where companies are going out of business, sales are slumping, employees are becoming fewer and the pay and benefits worsening. Next you see him applying in a right to work shop. The charts look far better.

You do what you need to do to raise your family. You go to work, you pay your bills. You keep your lawn looking nice and you even occassionally show up to church on holidays. But what is really going to hurt your children is to grow up in a debased culture with an out of control government. If you are not spending a reasonable amount of time on politics, you are doing your children a disservice. You are creating a world which will be hostile to them.
Do your homework. Learn about your politicians. Understand the policies. Vote informed! Vote conservative to preserve the principles that made this nation great and will continue to allow it to prosper far into the future. Your children are counting on you to not just raise them, but to leave them a nation where they can thrive.

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Senator West sounds very good.

BroncosRock on May 16, 2014 at 2:09 PM

God wanted you not to vote for Pigford compensations, Allen. You did not listen. Now, why would God listen to you?

Rix on May 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Too many cooks.

butch on May 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Makes sense to me. Cruz would have a better chance of winning the nomination than West, must as I like the guy.

cat_owner on May 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Good Lt on May 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Does he care about you?

faraway on May 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Three gods told me to run for President. Clearly, I have more qualifications than one-term rep Allen West.

antisense on May 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

and “Jeb is running,” according to my well-placed source.

It’s a kinda sorta maybe free country, but he’s not getting my vote.

rbj on May 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

If Martinez comes in she clears most of the field simply by undermining Hillary’s greatest argument in the general. Martinez-Walker, Martinez-Paul, Martinez-Crus, Martinez-Christie are all good tickets.

cpaulus on May 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM

cat_owner on May 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Why would Cruz have a better chance? Is West not conservative enough? Ted Cruz barely moved into his office in DC.

What makes CRUZ a better candidate? inquiring mind want to know.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Ya – like this guy:

“I think I have an ongoing conversation with God. Throughout the day I’m constantly asking myself questions about what I’m doing, why I am doing it.” (Barack Obama, April 2004)

dentarthurdent on May 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

BroncosRock on May 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Or Rubio may not get elected to anything in 2016 .
This Floridian will never vote for Rubio again .
I hope West keeps his powder dry and runs for
Senator from Florida in ’16 .

Lucano on May 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Oh well. We’re probably all going to settle on Scott Walker in the end anyway.

Which we should. Seriously. He’s a fantastic candidate. He’s a governor which means he has executive experience. He’s currently in office and will have won in a blue state 3 times(including the recall) by the time the primaries begin. He’s in a blue state that the GOP actually can win in 2016(unlike New Jersey with CRISTie). He’s a Tea Party favorite thanks to his battles with the public sector unions(which he won, BTW). He’s got a successful fiscally conservative record. And he’s a likeable fellow who will be hard to demonize or ridicule.

If conservatives and Tea Partiers are going to coalesce around a single candidate, Scott Walker is probably as good as it gets in 2016.

Doughboy on May 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM

God, through His Holy Spirt, guides all of us. Some listen more than others.

HornHiAceDeuce on May 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM

And another one bites the dust!

More GOP baby steps towards reality on Obamacare

Indiana governor Mike Pence has released a plan to allow his state to accept the expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. This is a story about health care, but at the same time it signals a dramatic shift in the GOP, one with potentially profound implications for the 2016 presidential race.

Pence isn’t the first GOP governor to accept the Medicaid expansion, and like some others he is trying to do it in a way that incorporates Republican ideas — moving Medicaid recipients to private insurance, making them pay some premiums, forcing them to use medical savings accounts. But unlike some of those other governors who have found the billions in federal dollars to insure their low-income population too good to pass up, Mike Pence is considering a run for president. And he’d be a serious contender — long admired by conservatives when he was in Congress, and now with the prestige being a governor brings.

Governors have more practical considerations than senators do. The uninsured in Pence’s state present an economic and moral problem that cries out to be dealt with, and solving it would make his state healthier in multiple ways.

But that doesn’t change the political calculus for a potential presidential candidate. And the fact that Pence is rolling out this proposal even as he is considering a presidential run speaks volumes about where the debate within the Republican party could be moving.

Six months ago, the idea that a serious contender for the GOP nomination would allow himself to be tainted in even the remotest way with the stench of Obamacare would have been dismissed as ridiculous. But Pence’s move suggests that by the time we reach the heat of the pre-primary season a year or so from now, it will be possible for a Republican candidate to have made at least some accommodation to the law. A candidate like Pence might be able to say: “Yes, I hated it as much as all of you, but it isn’t going away no matter how many repeal votes Republicans in Congress take, so I tried to channel it through conservative principles.”

Ned Pepper on May 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Why would Dog Eater have a better chance? Is Killary not liberal enough? Dog Eater barely moved into his office in DC.

What makes DOG EATER a better candidate? inquiring mind want to know.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Questions never asked.

Bishop on May 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

You rock, Mr. West, but please put down the Bible and back away slowly.

ElectricPhase on May 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

dentarthurdent on May 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

That is NOTHING like saying God is nudging me to run for office. Nothing.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Doughboy on May 16, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Neh, he is an open borders (anyone who wants to work here we should make room for.) amnesty hack (path to citizenship for illegals)

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

He would be my guy. I have my doubts we can win anymore anyways, might as well go down with the guy that can best articulate conservatism.

lowandslow on May 16, 2014 at 2:22 PM

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

He’s been waffling on that, but I’ll at least hear him out in the primaries(if he decides to run) before lumping him in with guys like Jeb, Rubio, and Ryan who’ve clearly sold out on the issue.

Doughboy on May 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I agree with Doughboy in why Walker should be the nominee in 2016. He has already been through heck. He won’t be surprise with what the Democrats will say and do.

Walker did not finish his college degree. Democrats will attack him over the issue, which Walker will then turn into a positive and remind people who do not have a degree from college what Democrats really think of them.

BroncosRock on May 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Allen West is everything that America needs in a President right now.

Star Bird on May 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

So He created us…and just let’s us do whatever we want? Doesn’t care about us? Put His son on a cross to be obliterated beyond recognition for our personal sins, yet doesn’t want to be part of every aspect of our lives?

That certainly doesn’t read like the Bible I have. Maybe you should open it up and see for yourself.

Deckard BR on May 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Allen West as a colonel is qualified as he’s lead troops.
We have any number of interesting potential candidates.
Mike Pence, Eric Huntsman, Mitch Daniels, Jebbie Bush and the other blah guys are not among those.
Neither is John McCain.

vityas on May 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM

First.

Dire Straits on May 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Lolz! ; )

Second.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I have a question I have been meaning to ask you. Two actually. This seems as good a place as any to ask. #1 Are you a US citizen? #2 How long have you been commenting here at HA?

Bmore on May 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Ah the republican primaries, where for some reason God tells a vast assortment of entertaining nutbars to run against each other, in what is fast becoming the greatest clown show on earth.

Don’t ever accuse god of not having a sense of humor.

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Joe Scarecrow, Ben Carson and now this. Great! So 2016 will be another primary cycle cluttered with vanity candidacies.

Red Widow on May 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

BroncosRock on May 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Indeed. Look at what a mess this country is in being run by people who finished college.

Bitter Clinger on May 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I like Allen West a lot, but if he can’t win that little race down there in Florida, maybe it’s premature to run for president.

rdbrewer on May 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM

BroncosRock on May 16, 2014 at 2:24 PM

If the Dems try the “Walker is dumb” narrative(and he’s a Republican, so that’s inevitable), they’ll have to explain why an idiot like him managed to outsmart and outmaneuver his opponents to the point where they literally had to leave the state in order to try to stop him.

Doughboy on May 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM

There’s no way this one’s going anywhere. In 2012, he managed to lose, despite incumbent status, to a political neophyte with a criminal record in a district that Romney won by 4 points. I enjoy the red meat he throws, but if he can’t win a district Romney won, he can’t win nationally, either.

LukeinNE on May 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM

If the Republican party doesn’t run a female candidate against Hillary, Hillary will win.

Special Forces Grunt on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

What the f*** is this “righties” sh*t? You think that you are so cool and hip don’t you? Righties/Lefties, oh my f***ing gaia, look how f***ing cool and hip allahpunidit is…

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Wasn’t all that much a sacrifice, was it?

“yo JC, do you mind taking 33 human years out of your infinite eternal bliss to feel some human pain for a brief instant for the only time ever, and then come on back to infinite eternal bliss?”

“aw dad….do i have to?”

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Love Allen West, but here is what will happen most likely:

Rubio
Cruz
Christie
Jeb Bush
Rand Paul
Allen West
Rick Santorum
Mike Huckabee
Scott Walker

Now up front we know some of these guys in the list like Santorum and Huckabee know they aren’t going to win, but they will milk the spotlight for their own personal status trying to resurrect their dead political careers. But they will siphon off anti-establishment votes.

The conservative vote splits, and either Bush or Christie wins the nomination because they have the money from billionaire Republican donors to last the longest in primary.

Instead of 4-5 million conservatives staying home in 2012, 8-12 million stay home or vote third party in 2016 because the party has nominated a RINO 3 times in a row.

Hillary wins.

JB-STLMO on May 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM

West has the right skin color, I fully expect the leftist race-pimps to flock to his banner were he to run.

What? He’s not the correct type of colored fella? Why? Because West is what? An oreo…what do mean by….oooooohhhh.

Bishop on May 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM

LukeinNE on May 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM

The “red meat” crowds on the conservative forums strongly disagree… For them it is only about the power of rhetoric and they are no different than the left wing lunatics in this regard… They just want to hear to the tough talk that make them all orgasmic…

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Good Lt on May 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Yep. Who’d a thunk it.

Bigbullets on May 16, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Bmore on May 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

1) yes I am a US citizen. But please don’t spread the word. I like my foreigner status. lol

2) I signed up for commenting in 2008, but rarely commented until recently. Why I am commenting a lot now? Would you believe me if I told you God nudge me?

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

dentarthurdent on May 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

That is NOTHING like saying God is nudging me to run for office. Nothing.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Ya know, now that I look again, you may be right.
Apparently Obama thinks he IS God.
That is nothing saying God is telling you to run…..

dentarthurdent on May 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Wasn’t all that much a sacrifice, was it?

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

The virtualization of the mind.

Totally divorced from reality.

Bigbullets on May 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Ned Pepper on May 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Same thing as illegal immigration issues. They will have to be dealt with. Some compromise on those already here may be necessary in order to achieve meaningful border security and ensure this is the last time we have to deal with this. I’m not going to crucify a candidate for a compromise. Of course, this only works if we have a president who believes in laws.

butch on May 16, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Deckard BR on May 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Your understanding of the Bible is very faulty then… Not that I am a good Christian or that I follow the teaching of Christ… To the contrary I do not in most cases, I am the worst of all sinners, an unrepentant sinner and want to remains as such… However I have read the Bible and the new testament in particle many times before (when I was not the very bad unrepentant sinner I am today)and I am certain that God does not interfere in most of what people ask him to interfere in…

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Would you believe me if I told you God nudge me?

Not many would believe you about much of anything, actually.

F X Muldoon on May 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

@red widown

That fact we might have vanity candidates is good sign to me. That means there is attention and excitement on the Republican side. We haven’t had that in the past two elections. The GOP had to beg people in 2008 to run. That happening in 2016 because we have a good field!

terryannonline on May 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

dentarthurdent on May 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

That is NOTHING like saying God is nudging me to run for office. Nothing.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:21 PM

+1. That sort of bizarre nutball god-directs-my-path stuff is more like

In my life, He directed my path to Chicago and my work with churches who were intent on breaking the cycle of poverty in hard-hit communities there,’ he said during the 62nd annual breakfast…

And the longer I serve, especially in moments of trial or doubt, the more thankful I am of God’s guiding hand.’

- President Barack Obama, Feb 2014

Good point.

rogerb on May 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Why I am commenting a lot now? Would you believe me if I told you God nudge me?

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

No. I would believe you if you admitted you like it here because you are treated well when you act decently and drop the attempts to troll.

butch on May 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I loathe the “God wants me to run” line.

No one is divinely destined to rule.

That being said, having people like Allen West and Ben Carson in the primaries will be a good thing for the party, even if they are long shots.

commodore on May 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Directing someone to pass out money from an endowment is totally different than telling someone to run for office, clown.

In the former, God sent an email; West actually said that he and God talked on the phone and that’s the difference.

You KKK righties make me laugh.

Bishop on May 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM

commodore on May 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM

The more people who run the more of a circus it will be… That applies to both sides, Republicans and socialists (aka democrats)….

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:45 PM

terryannonline on May 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

2012 was full of vanity candidates…

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Allen West would have my vote…my dream ticket actually is Cruz/West

sadsushi on May 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Ah the democrat primaries, where for some reason God tells a vast assortment of entertaining nutbars to run against each other, in what is fast becoming the greatest clown show on earth.

Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden and Martin O’Malley.

Don’t ever accuse god of not having a sense of humor.

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Fixed for reality.

No charge, lester.

HumpBot Salvation on May 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM

As I said, I’d rather go out with a candidate selling conservatism, that said I don’t think any of those RINO’s you list have a better chance of swinging Florida, Ohio, Virginia or Pennsylvania then any of the conservatives running. This idea that a centrist has a better chance has been shot down the last two times, I don’t know why anyone would think 2016 will be any different.

lowandslow on May 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I like West….a good man…but I’m supporting
the woman who says “An AR-15 makes a great gift,
what more says I Love you”?

Now THAT is Presidential Timber gang….

O.K., Bluegill, time for you to pop up, and spew….

ToddPA on May 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM

mnjg on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Aren’t you doing exactly what you accuse West of doing? Attributing your own motivations to God. Maybe God does interfere in all those things. All I know is that spirituality is quite personal, and if West chooses to think that the big guy in the sky has a plan for him, so what..

melle1228 on May 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

You KKK righties make me laugh.

Bishop on May 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM

You’re an idiot.

KKK Terrorist Arm of the Democratic Party

Star Bird on May 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

terryannonline on May 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

You think there were no vanity runs in 2012? What about Thad McCotter, Biff Huntsman, Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich or Ron Paul?

There is nothing positive about the fact that we have people like Joe Scarecrow, who run because they think they can use debates to get some free ad time on TV to promote their latest, useless book or can up their speaking fees after their campaign will fail as predicted.

This is time that should be spent seriously questioning people who actually have a realistic chance to end up in the Oval Office.

Red Widow on May 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Wasn’t all that much a sacrifice, was it?

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Your shoddy theology is showing. As someone like Aquinas would have said (and did say) regarding the mystery of the incarnation, for the eternal God to become a man– for the Creator to become like one of his creatures, to live and die like one in order to raise otherwise helpless humanity back up to the station for which it was created– and as a result to remain both God and Man now and forever– is a divine sacrifice beyond comprehension.

It’s even beyond comparison with anything you might do in the same vein, such as becoming a slug. Though possibly you can relate?

de rigueur on May 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I know people will flame me , but West worries me when it comes to the nukes. I’d like to see someone a little more even tempered.

TonyR on May 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Jindal
Perry
Walker
Pence
Bush
Christie

Pick one!

The Federal Government is a behemoth. Speechifying ain’t gonna cut it. (see Obama)

can_con on May 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I loathe the “God wants me to run” line.

No one is divinely destined to rule.

commodore on May 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Allen West did not say, “God has destined me to rule.”

Besides, the Presidency is not a rulership, or at least it’s not meant to be.

The Left continually confuses the distinction between ruling and governing. Let’s not make the same mistake.

Star Bird on May 16, 2014 at 2:56 PM

You’re an idiot.

KKK Terrorist Arm of the Democratic Party

Star Bird on May 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

You got hooked and Bishop didn’t even bait his hook with a worm.. LMAO!

melle1228 on May 16, 2014 at 2:56 PM

TonyR on May 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I like your nuance there. Bravo.

If I may please translate. “but West worries me when it comes to the nukes. I’d like to see someone a little less crazy.”

Don’t worry. No one will flame you. People here are reasonable they know what you mean.

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Why do GOP politicians interject that ‘God’ told me to run.

I’m Christian but using the word ‘God’ is a huge turnoff

Redford on May 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Red Widow on May 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM

butch on May 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM

de rigueur on May 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM

You’ve been trolled.

Bigbullets on May 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM

TonyR on May 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Yeah, because his YEARS in military service he was just out there RAMBOing it up…

/Facepalm.

melle1228 on May 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Why do GOP politicians interject that ‘God’ told me to run.

I’m Christian but using the word ‘God’ is a huge turnoff

Redford on May 16, 2014 at 2:58 PM

For the same reason other Christians question their motivations.. Preference..

melle1228 on May 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Allen West’s record indicates that he’s just not a good politician. His actual voting record is that of a typical Republican house member. He lost reelection in a favorable district because he was so unnecessarily abrasive.

Mister Mets on May 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Why I am commenting a lot now? Would you believe me if I told you God nudge me?

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I would say that your comments are about as divinely inspired as the Pi$$ Christ, but YMMV…

melle1228 on May 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Either a lot of people forgot to use the sarc tag or we have a lot of people that are falling into a self censorship mode with comes to their faith. Nothing wrong with what West said.

lowandslow on May 16, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I love Allen West. He is an Islamo-realist. See this:

However, I definitely believe that the Right needs to be coalescing around Ted Cruz now. I don’t even want to see West as VP because it would be a waste of his talents, since VP is mostly a ceremonial position. I’d like to see West as Secretary of Defense.

While Cruz, as far as I know, has not publicly come out as Islamo-realist to the extent that West has, word is behind the scenes that the Cruz team also is Islamo-realist.

Anyway, it’s got to be Cruz. No more circuses with 50 candidates duking it out. Cruz will make mincemeat out of hillary.

WhatSlushfund on May 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Mister Mets on May 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Florida is the home of Alan Grayson and Debbie Wasserman Schultz..

/Facepalm.. and that is only TWO of the abrasive personalities in Florida.

melle1228 on May 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

You’ve been trolled.

Bigbullets on May 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM

And he’s been rolled.

de rigueur on May 16, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Does he care about you?

faraway on May 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Does who or what care about me?

“He?”

Good Lt on May 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM

dentarthurdent on May 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

yah, but… he’s looking at a mirror, soooo…

jffree1 on May 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

You know your hero Obama has said the same thing, right f*ckwit?

Midas on May 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Considering the motivations of the other candidates, I think I’ll give one whose motivation is of a higher order a second look.

We’ve tried everything else lately and see where it’s gotten us.

Cleombrotus on May 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Allen West would make a great Secretary of Defense.

However, a run for President would elevate his profile and up the ante for the other candidates.
I would love to see West destroy Jeb and Christie in a debate.

redguy on May 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM

coolrepublica on May 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Thank You.

Bmore on May 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Don’t ever accuse god of not having a sense of humor.

everditzo on May 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Your fear of Allen West is to savor.

slickwillie2001 on May 16, 2014 at 3:37 PM

WhatSlushfund on May 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Cruz will make mince meat out of the rest of the Republican field as well….

Only Mike Lee and Allen West would be on the same intellectual stage as Cruz.

The rest of the Republicans who are mentioned as potential candidates really remind me
of idiots with dunce caps on, standing in the corner.

redguy on May 16, 2014 at 3:38 PM

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Well said.

You and I do not agree on Perry, but what you composed is 110% percent correct.

jazzuscounty on May 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM

“Maybe a crowded field is divinely ordained.” – Allahpundit

You’re an avowed atheist. You’re a RINO. You’re devoutly cynical. And your only unwavering ideology is pessimism.

So….. ultimately, do you have any other point in here besides ginning up comments to validate your income?

Augustinian on May 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Wasn’t all that much a sacrifice, was it?

“aw dad….do i have to?”

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

After reading more of the thread, I had to come back to comment.
You are disgusting, but then I think you enjoy the attention.

Come back when you are ready to publicly show disrespect to the prophet of islam, which I refuse to capitalize since it is not really a religion.

jazzuscounty on May 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Wasn’t all that much a sacrifice, was it?

“aw dad….do i have to?”

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

“That a good man may have his back to the wall is no more than we knew already, but that God could have His back to the wall is a boast for all insurgents forever. Christianity is the only religion on earth that has felt that omnipotence made God incomplete. Christianity alone felt that God, to be wholly God, must have been a rebel as well as a king. Alone of all creeds, Christianity has added courage to the virtues of the Creator. For the only courage worth calling courage must necessarily mean that the soul passes a breaking point — and does not break. In this indeed I approach a matter more dark and awful than it is easy to discuss; and I apologize in advance if any of my phrases fall wrong or seem irreverent touching a matter which the greatest saints and thinkers have justly feared to approach. But in the terrific tale of the Passion there is a distinct emotional suggestion that the author of all things (in some unthinkable way) went not only through agony, but through doubt. It is written, “Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.” No; but the Lord thy God may tempt Himself; and it seems as if this was what happened in Gethsemane. In a garden Satan tempted man: and in a garden God tempted God. He passed in some superhuman manner through our human horror of pessimism. When the world shook and the sun was wiped out of heaven, it was not at the crucifixion, but at the cry from the cross: the cry which confessed that God was forsaken of God. And now let the revolutionists choose a creed from all the creeds and a god from all the gods of the world, carefully weighing all the gods of inevitable recurrence and of unalterable power. They will not find another god who has himself been in revolt. Nay (the matter grows too difficult for human speech), but let the atheists themselves choose a god. They will find only one divinity who ever uttered their isolation; only one religion in which God seemed for an instant to be an atheist.”

― G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Augustinian on May 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM

TonyR on May 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM

agreed.
theres a chance he would use them to end battles swiftly with as little american soldiers lives lost as possible and we cannot have that.

dmacleo on May 16, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I can’t take anymore of this bs. If Jeb Bush is the nominee, I will for the first time in my life vote Demon-RAT.

F the Bush family.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM

if its bush or christie (or both) I will write my own name in.
done it before and sure I’ll do it again.

dmacleo on May 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM

of course, the obvious solution is to write those plans in pen, like any good non-climatological scientist.

i’m not looking forward to another 2012-era primary circus, but allah makes a good point: anything that clears the way for walker/paul 2016 via sideshow-circus infighting is probably something that a victory-minded republican voter ought to support.

anyone with approval ratings as underwater as ted cruz’ are stands no chance at winning over the more disciplined and less contentious democrats, who have really made an art out of feigning political solidarity to their extreme electoral benefit. more “practical” candidates like walker and paul are at around 0% favourability deficit — much, much higher than the republican party polls nationally — while cruz is sitting at around ten points underwater.

so anyone who can pull votes away from the hard-right candidates disliked by the nation at large are probably worth supporting…let’s just hope we can get thru the primary season without 9-9-9′s and gardasil vaccines doing any more damage to the already-toxic party brand.

i’m already starting to get scared that the obamacare advantage is going to have completely dissipated by 2016…the obamacare “approval” poll allah showed with the mark pryor thread is incredibly disheartening, given how much i’m paying for my insurance these days. if hillary runs, republicans just can’t suffer another bruising primary like 2012.

jaxisaneurophysicist on May 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM