Allen West on 2016: God may be getting me ready for something else

posted at 2:01 pm on May 16, 2014 by Allahpundit

Ben Carson said something similar about his own calling to run for office. Maybe a crowded field is divinely ordained.

Dave Weigel has the quote:

The first question to West, after a long ovation, was whether he’d run for another office. He’d actually speculated about running for president one day earlier, on Ben Shapiro’s radio show, and the topic had come up in a VIP reception before the dinner.

“I know there are ministers here, so I want to get this right. It says in Proverbs Ch. 3, verses 5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. I could sit around here saying what I think I want to do, but my mommy and daddy taught me that you write those plans in pencil and dear God will erase them. I never thought I’d be standing here in Floyd County talking to you, but I am. I will always be a servant to this great nation, and any way that God believes I can serve America, I will. We will see what he has in store for me, because I think he maybe is getting me ready for something else.”

That earned West another ovation.

After listening to the key bit from the Shapiro interview yesterday (embedded below), it sounded to me like West isn’t seriously thinking of running. He admitted that he was considering it but then stressed that that doesn’t mean he’s going to do it. My takeaway was that he’s telling his supporters that he’s open to it in the interest of not disappointing them before he has to, but when push comes to shove, he’s not going to run. Now, after hearing how the crowd reacted to his “ready for something else” comment in Weigel’s piece, I’m not sure. Or have we misinterpreted what he meant? (I.e. “something else” besides the presidential campaign?)

If West does jump in, though, who’s the main beneficiary? The more crowded the conservative side of the field gets, the easier it’ll be for a strong centrist candidate in the Romney mold to compete and maybe even win in Iowa. The establishment dream scenario is for every big tea-party name in America to run while the center consolidates around a single champion, ensuring that righties split every which way while the centrist soars to 35-40 percent right off the bat. Here’s a tidbit from Myra Adams about consolidation efforts already afoot:

So things don’t look so encouraging for Rubio. But he may not be seriously eyeing a White House run anyway: A high-ranking GOP party official who asked that his name be withheld told me on Monday that Jeb Bush’s people have just met with Rubio’s people and a 2016 deal was struck. If Jeb runs for president then Rubio would drop out—and “Jeb is running,” according to my well-placed source. (Alert the media!)

The pressure from the donor class on Rubio and Christie not to run if Jeb does will be tremendous, precisely because they don’t want their base splitting. If righties seriously want to thwart Bush 3.0 (or Christie/Rubio 1.0), they should do something similar and coalesce around a conservative champion like Ted Cruz as early as possible. As it is, having a rock-ribbed righty like West jump in will siphon off votes from Cruz and the social-con candidates, which means that the early primaries will be more interesting and the rest of the race will be … less so. Oh well. We’re probably all going to settle on Scott Walker in the end anyway.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The perfect candidate would be someone who has had managerial experience in government, upholds all of the constitutiona, is opposed to amnesty, thinks that crony capitalism is bad, has fought corruption, always says what they think and never apologizes.

Sarah Palin is that candidate but people from across the political spectrum maligned her and her family. This country gets the leadership it deserves.

fight like a girl on May 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Aren’t you doing exactly what you accuse West of doing? Attributing your own motivations to God. Maybe God does interfere in all those things. All I know is that spirituality is quite personal, and if West chooses to think that the big guy in the sky has a plan for him, so what..

melle1228 on May 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Nicely stated.

Here’s the thing; people believe all sorts of things, sensible AND silly.

I’ll bet everdiso believes his mother loves him.

Its pointless and unkind to mock someone for a belief that doesn’t affect you.

Dolce Far Niente on May 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM

palin’s national favourability is standing at about twenty-five points underwater.

nobody wants palin for president, not least of all because she absconded her incumbency when the political shenanigans because too much to bear and a book tour was looking more lucrative — and, apparently, not least of all palin herself!

anyone who goes around telling a war-weary country that “waterboarding is how we baptise terrorists” a few weeks before a declassified report on us “torture” practices is scheduled to be released is probably looking more for book sales than a road to the presidency.

also, “always says what one things” is more of a problem in politics than anything else. we want to win the presidency back so we can undo some of the tremendous damage that the past 16 years of huge-government (isn’t it embarassing that bill clinton is the most fiscally conservative of the three recent presidents?) expansion, not to stand on losing principles that alienate tepid voters.

amnesty is probably a sailed ship, but as far as the rest of your requirements, there is a large number of successful republican governors who fit the bill perfect and have a much more favourable national profile, like scott walker (who seems to be allah’s candidate this year).

it’s not 2008 any more. palin has made her niche, and it’s pretty clearly not in political office.

jaxisaneurophysicist on May 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on May 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Speak less; proofread more.

Dolce Far Niente on May 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Speak less; proofread more.

of course those with nothing to add to a conversation are always jealous of those who have plenty of original things to say.

far be it from me to give a damn about making typos on the internet, but even if i did, i daresay the occasional muscle-mnemonic single-letter transposition wouldn’t cause me any distress.

get a life of your own; i’m doing just fine with mine.

jaxisaneurophysicist on May 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on May 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Delusional.

Mimzey on May 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM

jaxisaneurophysicist on May 16, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Could you point out some of the “original things” that you said in the above post about Palin?
Thanks.

Mimzey on May 16, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Wasn’t all that much a sacrifice, was it?

“yo JC, do you mind taking 33 human years out of your infinite eternal bliss to feel some human pain for a brief instant for the only time ever, and then come on back to infinite eternal bliss?”

“aw dad….do i have to?”

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Funny how you present that as though you could believe it to be true. But just in case, the point wasn’t about whether is was a “big” sacrifice for Him. It was about your reaction to it. Do you accept His substitutionary payment for all aggrievances you have committed or will commit in your life against the Almighty? Because that’s really all there is to this salvation thing. If you believe that you can stand before God at the end of your life and say, “I did less bad than someone else”, or “I did more good on balance than bad”, or “I think I’ve earned my way into eternal bliss”, then you’re mistaken. But if you believe that Jesus paid, in advance and in full, for the penalty you deserve, you have a chance.

Treating the concept of salvation as a joke is either uselessly sophomoric because none of it matters, or eternally stupid because it does. God condemns nobody to everlasting separation from what He has planned for those who love and honor Him. But He, in giving you the fruits of your Free Will, sorrowfully will accept your rejection of His offered gift. You can go right ahead and be that stupid, but I hope you won’t. He loves you.

Freelancer on May 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Wasn’t all that much a sacrifice, was it?……….

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Translation:
“Hey everyone.look at me .
Look! Look!
Look at meeee!
Mom. Look at me! Look!
Mom! Mom! Mom!
Look at me!
Everyone look at me!”

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Scott Walker ….. If only we can be so fortunate.

Carnac on May 16, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Bishop didn’t even hang around to put his catch in the creel. Meanwhile the speech writer dictates on…….and…..on…..and…….

Bmore on May 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Then of course there is everdiso. Mind you, not a US citizen, not covered under 0Care. Still poking his skinny little shit stained fingers in his nose and then at Christ. Tedious.

Bmore on May 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM

“aw dad….do i have to?”

everdiso on May 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

You’re assuming that he knew.

Mimzey on May 16, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Or Rubio may not get elected to anything in 2016 .
This Floridian will never vote for Rubio again .
I hope West keeps his powder dry and runs for
Senator from Florida in ’16 .

Lucano on May 16, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I hope he challenges Screwbio in the GOP primary. If West wins Florida will be so incentivized because word on the street is Wasserman-Dipshitz will run for the Dems.

That witch constantly was in Fl-22 lying her azz off starting trouble when West was in Congress.

It will be the mother of all races.

No one hates Wasserman-Dipshitz more than conservatives who reside in Florida.

BRING IT! Conservatives will follow West into the gates of hell carrying a gas can to beat that W.I.T.C.H.

Jayrae on May 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM

EXACTLY!. That’s why conservatives need to have a convention and pick their guy and all other conservatives will get behind the winner or else expose himself as traitor to the cause.

That is the gentle solution. My preferred solution is to create a new conservative party, hold a convention and pick a candidate, and give the Republicans the opportunity of adopting your nominee or run against him and the Democrat nominee in the general.

Buddahpundit on May 16, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Carson/West? Could do worse.

abobo on May 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I would LOVE it if Allen West runs for POTUS!

Carson/West? Could do worse.

abobo on May 16, 2014 at 10:16 PM

We need a charismatic conservative. West is, Carson isn’t.

Oink on May 16, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Even many believers cringe and can be put off by politicians who say such things. Not everyone believes exactly the same thing. Which is why there are so many religious sects, even within Christianity.

All sides in the century of religious wars in Europe were Christian and believed God was on their side.

farsighted on May 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM

farsighted on May 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM

This so. It’s human nature, regardless of the outfit.

Even atheists can’t agree. There are about 16 different belief systems within that religion.

avagreen on May 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I like West. I like Palin. If either showed up in my town, I would be there waving a flag.

Palin’s big mistake was not quitting the governorship. The game being played on her there was counterproductive to the State of Alaska, and by then, both parties wanted her snuffed.

Her mistake, which may have been due to certain advisers who moved in to ‘help’ her momentum, was doing the bus tour afterward, which built up voter expectation, after which she dropped out a la Perot. Like to be a fly on the wall when ‘who ever’ gave her that advice.

Both parties are still spending a lot of time maintaining the ‘Palin is Dead’ manta. That should tell you she is not dead. They don’t waste bullets.

If you think any politician has missing chunks in his bio, add in the real reason Palin dropped out. Perot, IMHO, was a spoiler. Palin I think not, because she has boosted the tea party candidates against the Club like no other

I like to read the comments on HA against Palin because it gives me a fix on the information dissemination of the Club

entagor on May 17, 2014 at 1:09 PM

So I guess God planned for Obama to serve two terms in office.

Who am I to argue with “his will”?

mazer9 on May 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Let’s never forget that the left failed to take her down, either on the bus tour and later with the great Alaskan E-mail rush.

It was the rotted Washington entrenched elitist GOP that took her down, from Krauthammer and Will, to Coulter/Christie and Laura Ingraham, with Dick Cheney coming out of retirement to administe rthe final shot.

That she then didn’t run after her party backstabbed her, merely showed how wise she was.

Don L on May 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Allen, please keep God out of your comments, you’ll sound like the RHINO Glenn Beck, if you don’t.

mixplix on May 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM

So He created us…and just let’s us do whatever we want? Doesn’t care about us? Put His son on a cross to be obliterated beyond recognition for our personal sins, yet doesn’t want to be part of every aspect of our lives?

That certainly doesn’t read like the Bible I have. Maybe you should open it up and see for yourself.

Deckard BR on May 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM

He shows his “care” in pretty sordid ways.

mazer9 on May 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Tea party folks will attempt coalescence around One. We tried in 2012, but each in turn was found lacking, one at a time rising then falling until stuck with Romney as most electable. Grrr.

2016 presents (hopefully) better candidates. Surely one of them will be our One, or stuck with Bush.

Allen West, you are welcome to the mix. Solid guy whom the left will pillory, but could win the day if he doesn’t say anything which would lose the squishy middle.

exdeadhead on May 17, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I really don’t get why people have an issue if a family prays for something, be it a job, life, family, the future.

West, is praying with his family, because we all know that running as a conservative in this day and age is going to bring out the nasty freaking people to smear, slander and try to take you out anyway they can (MSM is good at this).

With that said, it is interesting that there is a solid conservative thinking about running, and a majority of people on HotAir aren’t “feeling” it. Aren’t “feelings” how we got the POSOTUS to begin with?

I hope West runs, because at least he isn’t intimidated by the left, and is straight forward, unlike half the batch that says they are going to run.

upinak on May 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM

republican Ruling Class redux……Split the Conservative vote and get a Progressive that TALKS like he’s a Limited government guy……2016 version.

We’ve lived this reality show before in……….2012, 2008, 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988, 1976, 1972, 1968, 1960, 1956, 1952, 1948, 1944, 1940, 1936, 1932, 1928, 1916, 1912, 1908, 1904…….

So Allen West, you won’t get the nomination, you’re not going to be picked for the ticket, you’re just going to drain money from someone that might actually win.

PappyD61 on May 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Mike Pence is nothing more than a get-along Big government guy.

The first time I heard him years ago interviewed I thought he was a Jim Demint squish that didn’t want to offend anyone. Sure they TALK a good game, but when it comes to being confrontational and telling Schumer / Reid / Durbin to shove it up their ********. Then they just don’t go there.

PENCE…..NO NO NO.

And another one bites the dust!

More GOP baby steps towards reality on Obamacare

Indiana governor Mike Pence has released a plan to allow his state to accept the expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. This is a story about health care, but at the same time it signals a dramatic shift in the GOP, one with potentially profound implications for the 2016 presidential race.

Pence isn’t the first GOP governor to accept the Medicaid expansion, and like some others he is trying to do it in a way that incorporates Republican ideas — moving Medicaid recipients to private insurance, making them pay some premiums, forcing them to use medical savings accounts. But unlike some of those other governors who have found the billions in federal dollars to insure their low-income population too good to pass up, Mike Pence is considering a run for president. And he’d be a serious contender — long admired by conservatives when he was in Congress, and now with the prestige being a governor brings.

Governors have more practical considerations than senators do. The uninsured in Pence’s state present an economic and moral problem that cries out to be dealt with, and solving it would make his state healthier in multiple ways.

But that doesn’t change the political calculus for a potential presidential candidate. And the fact that Pence is rolling out this proposal even as he is considering a presidential run speaks volumes about where the debate within the Republican party could be moving.

Six months ago, the idea that a serious contender for the GOP nomination would allow himself to be tainted in even the remotest way with the stench of Obamacare would have been dismissed as ridiculous. But Pence’s move suggests that by the time we reach the heat of the pre-primary season a year or so from now, it will be possible for a Republican candidate to have made at least some accommodation to the law. A candidate like Pence might be able to say: “Yes, I hated it as much as all of you, but it isn’t going away no matter how many repeal votes Republicans in Congress take, so I tried to channel it through conservative principles.”

Ned Pepper on May 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM

PappyD61 on May 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

My main concern. Mr. West lacked the stones to fight for his house seat in the face of obvious voter fraud. Several precincts reporting 120% voter turn out. Will he stand and fight as President/VP?

chicken thief on May 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

chicken thief on May 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Voting theft is an issue in every election we have, all the way from the House races to the presidential election. That’s why we push voter ID, purging voter rolls of dead people, cross-checking voter rolls across states, etc.

slickwillie2001 on May 17, 2014 at 4:30 PM

chicken thief on May 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Umm West’s district was moved (more made non-existent), if you just happen to forget that tid bit? He didn’t have a district after the election process decided to move districts around.

upinak on May 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM

As much as I respect and admire former Rep/Col Allen West and think he’d be a great president. Following Barry is going to be a hell of a job for any black republican candidate. Lord knows he’s got the eggs to handle anything thrown his way.

Is the country too shell shocked ??

Texyank on May 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Bmore on May 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Why is it professed christians are always the least christ-like?

Tlaloc on May 18, 2014 at 4:00 PM

chicken thief on May 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

*sigh*

no matter how many times it gets disproven you guys are going to repeat this BS, huh?

The case you are referring to had two separate parts to their ballot, the over 100% number came from counting the total number of ballot *pages* and dividing by the population, ignoring or deliberately obfuscating that that meant double counting.

Tlaloc on May 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM

*sigh* Why do reprobates that deny transcendent moral law moralize the most?

Murphy9 on May 19, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Sarah Palin is that candidate.

fight like a girl on May 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Sorry, but that ship has already sailed, and it sank.

RUexperienced on May 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM