Sure sounds like Ben Carson’s running for president

posted at 11:21 am on May 15, 2014 by Allahpundit

If we’re destined to have another Bush versus Clinton election, it’s only right that there be a Perot-type in the mix too.

As David Petraeus once said, tell me how this ends.

Ben Carson is warming to the idea of running for president. Since the famous brain surgeon retired last year from Johns Hopkins Hospital, he’s been speaking around the country to enthusiastic audiences. And they’ve affected his thinking about seeking national office…

Carson writes that he suspects many others interested in high office would be better candidates. But in his book he has a caveat: “If I felt called by God to officially enter the world of politics, I would certainly not hesitate to do so.”

Interviewed this week, Carson said he’s “starting to feel it. Because every place I go, it’s unbelievable.” One lady “really touched me the other night … She just kept clinging to my hand and said, ‘You have to run. You have to run.’ And so many people tell me that, and so I think I’m starting to hear something.”…

Carson said he has no illusions about running. “It’s a daunting thing,” he told me. “I know how vehemently the left will come after you, try to destroy you, try to destroy your family. But at the same time I recognize that people like Nathan Hale – he said, ‘My only regret is I have but one life to give to my country’ … And if everybody runs for the hills because they’re afraid that somebody is going to attack them or their family, then [the left] will have won.”

He’s got his very own version of a “Ready for Hillary” Super PAC (led by John Philip Sousa’s great-grandson), which, believe it or not, has actually out-raised Clinton’s org since the beginning of the year. The assumption all along, given his speech at CPAC and frequent appearances in righty media, has been that he’ll run as a Republican. But … why would he do that? His natural base of support in the primary is conservatives, but how many conservatives are going to opt for a political novice when they’ve got Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Bobby Jindal, and maybe Rick Perry and Mike Pence to choose from instead — especially given that Carson has a litmus-test problem on guns? The only path he has, realistically, is if none of those guys run except Paul (who’s definitely running) and then Paul wobbles among righties under the cumulative weight of his ideological idiosyncracies. Then Carson could become the conservative choice, which would make him the “Not Jeb” or “Not Christie” alternative against whoever emerges from the center of the party. In which case, he’ll lose anyway. And let’s face it: If Paul is wobbly because of his take on, among other things, voter ID, one of the other candidates I mentioned will sense it and jump in to challenge him on the right. There’s no way, in other words, that only Paul and Carson will be out there campaigning for tea partiers. That being so, what hope does Carson have?

The obvious solution, then: Don’t run as a Republican, run as a conservative independent. Advance to the general election against Hillary and Jeb or whoever and offer yourself as a fresh-faced naif who’s never worked in Washington, the natural antidote to the grotesque dynastic politics being played by the two major parties. He would get some votes as a Perot-like “no more business as usual” protest candidate — maybe enough to sink the GOP’s chances against Hillary, which would be … sub-optimal for a conservative heartthrob. So, tell me how this ends. Early flame-out in the GOP primaries, albeit with better-than-expected numbers in Iowa thanks to social conservatives? Some sort of surprise momentum into February due to universal disgust with D.C. and craving for someone uncorrupted by the system among voters? Third-party candidacy? Fox News show circa 2017? What’s the answer?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Not good enough for the chekist lawyer? I’ll be damned.

Murphy9 on May 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Having said that, there is no chance I would vote for him. His statement last year that “Obamacare is the worst thing to happen to the US since slavery” shows he is not very bright in non-medical areas. I no longer trust his judgment.

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

When Dog Eater said, “The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system” and seeing what has happened since, do you still trust his judgment?

Don’t answer, it doesn’t matter.

Bishop on May 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Don’t answer, it doesn’t matter.

Bishop on May 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

More than that of a guy who thinks World War I and II, the Korean and Vietnam War, 9/11, etc. were better for the US than Obamacare.

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Communists in action

Rush said today that 0bama had a big secret fundraiser in NYC last night… where he encouraged his billionaire Urban Elitist friends to establish residences out in flyover country, so they can increase Democrat voting in those benighted, backwards places, overcome the repubican voting power of the hicks and rednecks.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Since you wouldn’t have voted for him had he not said that, no one here would expect you to, Jimbo3.

rukiddingme on May 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Meh, he’s qualified to run. Let him.

He sounds like a brilliant, kind, effective leader. It would be interesting to hear him on the campaign trail.

Will he win the GOP nomination if he runs for it? Probably not, but he can contribute to the conversation significantly and perhaps raise his own profile (possible other future office, appointment if the GOP wins, sell more books or maybe even VP).

It’s also possible he’ll flame out.

I lose no sleep over him pursuing a run if he wants to. I don’t expect to see him win- but would listen to his positions, and would consider voting for him (more likely in the general than the primary, but we’ll see).

While we’re throwing out fantasy scenarios, though, imagine this one: Clinton is the D candidate, Jeb Bush gets the R nod, Carson runs as independent. Sarah Palin (who I think has praised him before) endorses Carson.

What happens? I mean, aside from HotAir having to add staff and server capacity…

cs89 on May 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I tend to figure all those were temporary scars and world war ii propelled the nation forward several decades on a manufacturing basis and technological basis.
Obamacare will cause far more American deaths in the long run if allowed to remain a part of the nation. It destroys the incentive to be a healthcare provider while increasing the incentive to seek medical care, regardless of how menial the issue is. Far more people will suffer.
418,000 died in world war ii. 117,000 in world war i.
Obamacare has a far higher risk to this nation and for a far longer duration than all the wars of the 20th century.
Besides, he is right, I do not think that Obamacare can match Abortion numbers, already having surpassed 50,000,000 American deaths.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Meh, he’s qualified to run. Let him.

cs89 on May 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

This. If he survives at the hands of the likes of Chris Christie and Mitt Romney, he’ll be fine. If he doesn’t, we’re screwed one way or the other anyway, so let it burn.

CurtZHP on May 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM

We do not need another Ross Perot splitting the vote. I don’t think Rand Paul will take too kindly to Dr. Carson taking his middle/right territory. Rand has been purposely moving to the center to try and get the Christie,Jeb Bush, big money donors to leave Bush and Christie and flock to him. Carson has no political experience. No more identity politics, would we really be talking about Carson if he were not African-American?

searcher on May 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I like Ben Carson. I would give his candidacy a sincere looksee.

Fallon on May 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Obamacare has the potential to be a more destructive influence on this country than any of those wars.

The law is based on the same principles of socialized medicine that programs such as Liverpool Care Pathway in England have been based. The current admin obviously has little concern for the effectiveness of outcomes as long as the policy they choose gets implemented.

It won’t take us long to follow the same path that was seen with LCP.

How many people died in England? How much larger is our country compared to theirs? Just project the results across a broader spectrum and you’ll see that Carson is correct.

lineholder on May 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Bravo! Your logic is impeccable.

A black man who is a doctor would know nothing about slavery OR the make-over of the health care industry.

Folks, you just can’t make this stuff up.

Dolce Far Niente on May 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Dr. Carson needs experience at being something other than a surgeon and running his part of the hospital (granted that is more than Obama had). He has the right ideology. Why not have him run as Vice President? He is young enough to run for President in 2020 or 2024 and he’ll get plenty of experience as Veep.

newjerseypatriot on May 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

newjerseypatriot on May 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

In some ways, I agree with you. In others, I’m so sick of the status quo mindset from career politicians that it makes me want to gag.

What we need is an old-fashioned problem solver. Someone who isn’t afraid to dig beneath the surface, even though it might not be politically expedient and could offend people, find out the most significant problems our nation is facing, and then follow through with a course of action that would genuinely resolve those problems.

I don’t know if Carson is that person. We’ll see.

lineholder on May 15, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Communists in action

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Yeah. Can’t wait for the minions of Obama to come to ‘flyover country’ buy a house they’ll never live in, send bought and paid for ‘community organizers’ into our area, and start pouring cash into local elections.

They’d better bring lots of cash and even more fraudulent voters because we actually turn out to vote here in ‘flyover country’ without being paid to do it, oh, and it’s been the law that one present ID at the voter polls here in Oklahoma for some time now and we actually check it against our list of registered voters.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM

newjerseypatriot on May 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Yeah. let him run with Allen West or Ted Cruz. “Our VP is a brain surgeon, your’s is Joe Biden”

Iblis on May 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Double Facepalm.

Ben, did you ever stop to think it might be the Devil talking to you?

Dusty on May 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I like Ben Carson. I would give his candidacy a sincere looksee.

Fallon on May 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

You can start by reading his book “America the Beautiful.” I read it in order to get a better feel of who this man is. He says some good, common sense things but also says some troubling things. In fact he contradicts himself a few times by (accurately) explaining one problem then advocating for a “solution” that would exacerbate the problem. He whiffs on basic economics on a few occasions.

visions on May 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Ben Carson from all accounts is an honest and sincere Man. He is, being a relatively free man, able to do as he pleases. He is not quite well rounded enough on a few fronts. I have never seen anyone who was. Its why close advisers are key. I don’t distrust him.

Bmore on May 15, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I like Dr. Carson…I don’t like his impulse to curb gun ownership inside urban environments. I don’t think that geographic restriction is in the constitution.

Makes me wonder what other constitutional items he thinks should be changed.

Fundamentally…he sounds like a constitutional relativist.

Since he has zero experience with either elective office or executive level governance, this is a problemo.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

No, no, a thousand times no.

The U.S. Presidency is too important of a position for another dilettante to attempt.

Puhleeze!

At least run for president of the School Board. Or Mayor. Or Something!

Elections themselves require a HUGE learning curve.

Not to mention the job itself.

The man has NEVER run for public office.

The man has NEVER served in a public office.

Puleeze!

No more inexperienced “good men” with “good intentions.”

Sigh.

hrh40 on May 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Thank you.

hrh40 on May 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM

The GOP likes Governors and Senators as POTUS candidates. I haven’t figured out the top of the ticket yet, but I think the bottom should be Susana Martinez.

Old eagle on May 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Double Facepalm.

Ben, did you ever stop to think it might be the Devil talking to you?

Dusty on May 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Good point.

I for one prefer a successful conservative governor…who governed.

Being President is more than photo ops and I’d prefer a conservative governor who can form policy,lead citizens and wrestle with a legislature…That executive experience is invaluable to the presidency…imho

Our current president doesn’t even understand basic economics…much less our constitutional system of governance.

What would Dr. Carson do up against a counterpart like Putin?

What would Dr. Carson do in negotiations with congress or federal vs. states?

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

No more inexperienced “good men” with “good intentions.”

Sigh.

hrh40 on May 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

To be an effective politician it requires a fairly thick skin and a healthy ego.

A sound moral fiber and solid support helps navigate the hazardous waters of politics.

Without these…the politician is prone to corruption and an unbalanced ego.

Ideology is not the same as moral fiber.

Moral fiber is sorely lacking in many politicians in both parties.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I agree and I think that Rick Perry is the most capable of dealing with the economy and dealing with foreign leaders and terrorists. Also, I’m sure that he’d do a great job cleaning out the bottom feeders in the current regime.

cajunpatriot on May 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Obviously…Dr. Carson is prone to being easily flattered.

This is a problem.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM

searcher on May 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM

I agree Rand has been trying to stake a claim to this group of voters, these moves are one of the reasons I don’t completely trust Rand to govern as a principled conservative.

The big point I want to make is Rand doesn’t OWN this slice, though… it’s up for grabs. He has to make his case, Carson has to make his, etc.

cs89 on May 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I’m not sure what good any President would be able to do if we end up with a GOP that plans to do THIS if and when they regain control of the Senate despite what it will do to the citizens and legal immigrants of this nation while they trample the rule of law beneath their Italian loafer shod feet.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I like Ben Carson, but he is very weak on amnesty. I won’t vote for a pro-amnesty Republican.

bw222 on May 15, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Dr. Ben Carson is for illegal alien amnesty, and he doesn’t respect the Second Amendment:

Glenn Beck: “Do I have a right to own a semi-automatic weapon?”

Ben Carson: “It depends on where you live…I think if you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I’m afraid that that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would rather you not have it…But, if you live “out in the country somewhere by yourself, I’ve no problem.”

“On the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the country, Carson says he would ‘of course allow [illegal immigrants] to have a pathway to citizenship. That’s the only humane and reasonable thing to do.’

bluegill on May 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Communists in action

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

If it was such a “secret”, why was it listed on Obama’s schedule:

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM

searcher on May 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Excellent point. Carson is an impressive man, no doubt, but he would not be getting the same amount of coverage if he were white. Don’t like to see conservatives play the affirmative action/ethnic or gender group identity politics game.

bluegill on May 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM

cajunpatriot on May 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM

As a Texan I don’t like most politicians…most Texans are like that.

What Texans look at primarily…are results.

In that regard…Gov. Perry throughout his political career delivered a pretty strong record of results and a constant conservative trajectory in his development…imho..

He’s made some mistakes but most were corrected before they had real impact on Texans.

To this Texan it’s important.

As a Texan we’ve been lucky that he’s been governor during this time…imho….

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM

meant to type consistent conservative trajectory…(Perry started as a Bluedog budget pit bull in the legislature.

He’s held legislative elective office…administrative elective office and executive elective office.

He’s also run a ranch and farm with his dad…so he’s run a small business.

That in itself is extraordinary varied experience in governance.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM

cs89 on May 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Folks are pretty sick of Washington DC.

Any successful conservative governor will bust that insider thingy with Rand Paul…Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.

All of which are freshman senators.

They would be fools trapped in their own bubbles not to be aware of that….as much of a fool as Jeb or Killary would be to not be aware that folks are sick of Clintons and Bushes.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Example:

Ted Cruz,Marco Rubio or Rand Paul talks in a debate about fixing Washington DC

Gov. Scott Walker, (for example) responds this way…Those are great ideas but what have you accomplished…Here’s what we did in my state about that (insert issue).

Gov. Perry…Gov. Pence…Gov. Jindal…any successful conservative governor would be able to use their record of reform in their own state and blow these freshman senators out of the water in the primaries.

The same would happen against any DC insider opponent.

As voters see it…

“Washington DC is broken” – Gov. Rick Perry

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I’m always greatly amused by commenters declaring their undying support for one of these “fresh faces” with absolutely no mention of policies or platform planks.
steebo77 on May 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Yep. Flavor of the month. People often get so giddy and are too willing to jump on the bandwagon for untested candidates, just because the candidates are of a particular skin color and can deliver moving speeches.

bluegill on May 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM

So people complain about career politicians dominating Washington, yet want to use the fact that Carson has no political experience against him? I don’t really understand that thought process.
He Who Some Call A Traitor on May 15, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Maybe they’re not the same people…??

anuts on May 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Calling Ben Carson Ross Perot that’s really sad.

paulsur on May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I wouldn’t wish the current political environment of this country on anyone. Having said that however, I hope Dr. Carson does run. I have nothing but respect for the man, his ‘gun statement’ notwithstanding. Besides, I can already savor every time liberals begin a salvo to discredit him, being able to chide them for being racists.

ghostwalker1 on May 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Non-starter.

Sorry, Ben. We have Bobby Jindal.

Ted the Average on May 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Carson is undeniably smart. Super smart. He’s a sincere and decent religious man, and impressively humble. I suspect that a career spent on unraveling the intricacies of the human brain gives you a healthy perspective on your place in the universe.

What exactly is wrong with “good men” with “good intentions” running for public office? Even starting at the top? The Founding Fathers wanted citizens from all walks of life to serve, and the specifications for running for president are very basic–no where does the Constitution say “needs to have been mayor of a medium-sized city for at least one term.”

The more the merrier. Carson is an impressive man with an incredible life story. Why wouldn’t the Republicans want him and others like him to represent the Party? The primary process will sort it all out.

Meredith on May 15, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Just get ready for the backlash from “the most tolerant among us”.

kingsjester on May 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Sorry, not qualified.

It takes more than checking the right issue boxes on the form and making rousing speeches. You also need some management experience at the executive level.

Run for Governor of some state and do a good enough job for one term to be reelected to a second by a big majority, then give us a call.

Until then, don’t call us – we’ll call you.

Adjoran on May 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Meredith on May 15, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I agree with you Meredith. If Dr. Carson enters the race. The race will sort it out.

Bmore on May 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Meredith on May 15, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Jimmy Carter was a very smart and successful peanut farmer who portrayed himself as an outsider, a Southern Baptist who taught Sunday School, a Naval Academy and Georgia Tech grad significantly high in the class and had good intentions and won the Presidency. He even was the Governor of Georgia for one term and won the Nobel Peace Prize while in office.

Yet he made tons of missteps and, as an example of his naiviety even after serving as Governor, thought he could take home the Internal Revenue Code one weekend, read it from cover to cover and then understand US taxes.

Carson would have less relevant experience than Carter had. Or Obama for that matter.

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Just get ready for the backlash from “the most tolerant among us”.

kingsjester on May 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You mean the American Family Association? The organization who wants people to boycott businesses in Mississippi whose owners announce they won’t discriminate against gay people in Mississippi?

AFA says that business owners in Mississippi who announce they don’t want to discriminate against gays are somehow engaged in “hatred towards Christians and all people who believe business owners have the right to operate their businesses according to the dictates of their religious faith”.

Don’t ask me–I don’t understand their argument.

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM

You’re missing my point, Murphy9.

The law allows business owners to decide whether or not to serve gay people. It may do more than that.

So how is a business owner’s decision to serve gay people an “act of hatred” against business owners who decide not to do so?

jim56 on May 15, 2014 at 5:53 PM

So, tell me how this ends.

President of the New United States after the revolution.

#BuckFarack

Nutstuyu on May 15, 2014 at 6:10 PM

President Walker appoints him Surgeon General.

tomwinfl on May 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM

So, tell me how this ends.

The left digs up some nasty little tidbit from something he did when he was 5 or 6 years old and then paint him as a homophobic, dog-hating bastard or something.

ButterflyDragon on May 15, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I like Ben Carson but he is very weak on the Second Amendment:

Glenn Beck asked Carson, “Do I have a right to own a semi-automatic weapon?”

“It depends on where you live,” Carson responded:

“I think if you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I’m afraid that that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would rather you not have it.”

But, if you live “out in the country somewhere by yourself, I’ve no problem,” Carson said.

RJL on May 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Well he will be my pick if it is down to Clinton, Bush, or Carson. Clinton is more conservative than Bush, but Carson has a higher IQ than the other 2 combined with Obozo

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Yes, let’s definitely give the election to the Dems by having another ‘Ross Perot’ election. Great idea. Let’s go for it.

/s

I like the guy and his story, but just…no. Please, no.

xNavigator on May 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

No more inexperienced “good men” with “good intentions.”
Sigh.
hrh40 on May 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Except that is exactly what our Constitution calls for. The only qualifications are age and residency/citizenship. Teh Zero has negated the latter part, so Carson is just as qualified as anyone else over 35.

Nutstuyu on May 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Until then, don’t call us – we’ll call you.
Adjoran on May 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Funny, I can’t find your demands anywhere in the Constitution.

Nutstuyu on May 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM

RJL on May 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM

That sounds more like someone who’s simply ignorant about guns and confuses semi-auto with automatic. By the logic of that statement Carson should also work to ban non-manual cars from urban areas.

Nutstuyu on May 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM

America does not want a conservative. America wants someone to take care of it, give it hope in a brighter future, where lunches are free and freedom doesn’t get in the way of bennies.

If Obama could run again, he would get elected again. America wants a benevolent dictator.

spmat on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

He’s a novice at politics and will get eaten alive by the msm.

Kissmygrits on May 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Hmm… I’m not so sure he would only pull from the Republicans if he ran as an independent. I’m sure there are a lot of lower income working people who feel unwelcome in either party and so normally split between them who would bolt for a charismatic independent candidate.

Sackett on May 15, 2014 at 8:59 PM

He’s a novice at politics and will get eaten alive by the msm.

Kissmygrits on May 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

He also knows nothing of retail politics. His personality is as bland as a box of nails.

cimbri on May 16, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Explain to me how a highly educated, morally centered, non-politician can F*@K, it up any more than what we’ve had for the last 50 years???…

PatriotRider on May 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM

EXACTLY.
Now even though his stance on the 2nd bothers me greatly, I am willing to give a good man a chance.
Bush stood for many things I did not like.
But the real cancer in our country is CONGRESS.
And then you can follow that down to individual state legislatures.
The People of this country are weak and do not know the history of their Founding. So unless this entitlement, narcissistic society changes much, we’re not going to ever get rid of these problems.
The buying of votes where each Congress person ‘brings home the bacon’ is a major reason for things to never change.
You’ve got ‘conservatives’ who rail at people taking government money when they themselves are the very FIRST in line to whine about FEMA money, Social Security (sorry, it’s a TAX the govt stole from you), etc.
If no one is willing to put a stop to endless spending, then nothing will ever happen no matter who is POTUS.

Badger40 on May 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM

spmat on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

It is the human condition.
Loki was indeed correct.

Badger40 on May 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Ben Carson does not have the experience to govern the country, like say, a governor of a state might…or even, like Rudy Guiliani, mayor of a world class city.

But. Ben Carson might be able to save the Veterans health care, has anyone asked him?

Fleuries on May 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM

If he hasn’t found out already, Carson will find out what Sarah Palin already knows full well: begin a political celebrity is much better than being an actual politician.

Carson will not run. But for months to come, he will continue to tease the possibility that he will run.

Steelweaver52 on May 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

If he runs as an independent, we will have Hillary for sure. The past has shown that all it does is take votes away from the Republican candidate and elects the Dem. I would love for him to run, but he doesn’t have a snowball’s chance at this point, he needs to start lower.

platykat on May 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I’m sure he’s very intelligent. However intelligent(Obama) and no experience is not good.

Cabinet member maybe.

gerrym51 on May 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Maybe God should call on Ben Carson to run for some other office and get some political experience first.

J.S.K. on May 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM

If Ben Carson runs for president, the liberal media will destroy him. They’ll take a man of impeccable character and genius and portray him as a bigot and an uncle tom. One might say the media could never touch him, he’s too well respected, but that’s the kind of red meat their looking for. They’ll find a family who lost a child under his care and call him a murderer. As much as this country could use the leadership of a man like this, I hope he doesn’t run.

HueMoss on May 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM

HueMoss, you may be right, but Carson surely knows that. I think he’s dealt with racists in the past, and if we back away from bigotry, we’ll be cowed by these clowns forever. If a leading brain surgeon isn’t good enough, we might as well just forget politics and go right to civil war.

flataffect on May 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM

This man is my first choice for Prez.

Carson/Pence.