Hero Cat gets public recognition she so richly deserves, will throw first pitch

posted at 8:01 pm on May 15, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Because Allahpundit and I are not shy about our pro-cat leanings and strive to inform the world that they are not entirely evil (though, frankly, if they weren’t a little bit**y, I wouldn’t respect them nearly as much), you better believe this story’s getting full coverage.

You know the background.
Tara the Cat went H.A.M. on a dog attacking the tiny human with whom she happens to live, saving him from severe injury. She convinced Cat-Loving America that it’s always been right and turned Dog-Loving America into a brigade of harrumphhers and debunkers out to prove this cat a fluke or a hoax. We are a polarized people, but the raw truth of this moment may yet bring us together. Witness, the writer at Bleacher Report have his Road to Damascat moment:

In fact, consider this cat curmudgeon a full-fledged cat lover now.

Grumpy Cat, watch your back, because someone’s ’bout to become a national hero with all the mousetrappings:

The Bakersfield Blaze — the Class A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds — has reached out to the cat’s people hoping to get Tara (that’s her name) to make the ceremonial first pitch at a game next week.

A rep for the team tells us … the owner of the cat ACCEPTED THE OFFER … and Tara (along with the boy she saved) will take the mound to throw out the first pitch on May 20th.

No word on who might actually throw the ball, though I certainly wouldn’t suggest to Tara’s face that she might be incapable.

“Tara is my hero,” Jeremy said.

The local news footage of the young man and his cat is great
if only because as the news crew is trying to get a heart-warming shot, Tara keeps exiting the scene because she’s done being petted. Good kitty. Do your thang.

Ha:

Hero Cat out

Comments

Can she run on the Republican ticket?

will77jeff on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Sorry, but I still think her and the dog are flukes.. That being said, if any animal saves my devil spawn; Real meat for life..

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Can she run on the Republican ticket?

will77jeff on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Probably more loyal, consistent and articulate than all of our candidates.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Cat people really want this story to stay in the headlines.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Let’s face it: this cat story is a parable about income inequality …

ShainS on May 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Cat people really want this story to stay in the headlines.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Yeah, it is just like the Sam story.. Where are all the stories of the hetereosexual dogs who protect their kids everyday. This dang cat gets all the glory..

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I think it was a set up.
The cat was working a grift with the dog.
The Good Samaritan scam.
They split the reward.

NeoKong on May 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Sigh. Just makes me miss my cat(s) all the more.

I do love dogs, but I’ve always been of the mind that dogs need A LOT of room to run and play, and just generally be a DOG. Cats, are pretty much a lower maintenance animal, IMHO.

Well done Tara! May you get scratches behind the ears and under the chin and a warm spot in the sun forever. :o)

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM

They split the reward.

NeoKong on May 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Cat turns on the dog and has him executed.

Cat keeps the money.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

No word on who might actually throw the ball

The cat will certainly make a better throw than that uncoordinated third-world incompetent. There’s no doubt about that. The cat can probably kick Barky’s azz in bowling, too. And she could secure the trifecta by showing up Barky’s pathetic attempt at a golf swing.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Cat people really want this story to stay in the headlines.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Hey, a story about cute p***y is ALWAYS welcome!

/yeah I went there…got the t-shirt too.

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Hero Cat gets public recognition she so richly deserves, will throw first pitch

…JugEars is going to be pissed…that something he hasn’t eaten…can throw better than him!

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I watched that video at least five times and that cat is awesome and amazing. Without a doubt it was defending her kid. If you watch the video slow, she hits the dog broad-side and rattles her own nugget. When she shakes it off, she chases him clear out of the yard.

Honestly blew me away.

Salutes brave Tara Cat. I love Grumpy Cat, but I freaking bow to your bravery.

Not … kidding … at all.

hawkdriver on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Hero Cat gets public recognition she so richly deserves, will throw first pitch

by Mary Katharine Ham

Who knew MKH was AP’s beard?

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

They split the reward.

NeoKong on May 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Cat turns on the dog and has him executed.

Cat keeps the money.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Of course.

forest on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I looked at some other photos and I think their walk-in cat, Tara, is a Bengal. She looks a lot like a marbled Bengal. The personality fits perfectly. My Bengals don’t hesitate to go after one of my dogs, including my Chows, if they think it’s out of line. They’re also inclined to just pull up a piece of floor and lay down with the dogs, too, rather than look for a comfy couch or chair. If a Bengal was unhappy with its home it would be entirely in keeping with their personality to find one it liked better. They’re also inclined to be protective of their home and family members.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

You can love cats all you want, but this cat stands out because she acted like a DOG in first being loyal to a human (rather than merely tolerating them, like most cats) and second by defending him.

This is a man-bites-dog moment in the form of a cat-bites-dog-who-bites-man moment.

Nessuno on May 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

That cat checked the dog’s privilege big time. Actually I’m not a cat guy but I can watch that clip 50 times. Reminds me of the Australian bully clip from a few years back.

Mason on May 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Well said, and very nice, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I’ve seen cats of the allegedly ‘domesticated’ kind protect homes and people, too. Remember that “barking cat” filmed by someone, shown on YTube? When the cat’s owner, the woman recording the instance, appeared and was noticed by the cat, the cat stopped barking like a dog and meow-ed to the woman instead (“caught in the act”). Felines are predators and never forget that; among their predatory skills are manipulating conditions to their advantage, which is Predator 101.

I read on twitter the other day, someone wrote:

If your dog was seven feet tall, it would still love you.

If your cat was seven feet tall, it would eat you.

I think that’s about right.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Barking cat, with commentary by a vet.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I’ve heard from vets in the past that cats-meow because they understand that humans respond to it. Otherwise, they don’t meow — they’ve learned to meow to humans because we respond to the sound.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Who knew MKH was AP’s beard?

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I literally snorted tequila out of my nose.. and it hurt.. LOL

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Who knew MKH was AP’s beard?

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I literally snorted tequila out of my nose… and it hurt.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Ooops, now I am skipping. Somebody hit me.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Let’s face it: this cat story is a parable about income inequality …

ShainS on May 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I agree, but thats obvious. I think it’s also very much about racism.

Mimzey on May 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Cat turns on the dog and has him executed.

Cat keeps the money.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Okay, that was funny. NOW STOP IT! Serious brave kitty deserves serious thread!

hawkdriver on May 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM

My friends had a dog that ‘suddenly’ went after a neighbor kid ‘without provocation’. It was so unusual for this dog, we setup video surveillance of their house and the very first day caught the boy throwing rocks at the dog. The dog was trapped in the front yard by a fence, the kid moved all around hitting the dog with rocks. They were at work, the kid was coming home from school.

By the dogs reaction when the kid walked up, it was clear this had been going on for a while. The police were very interested in the recording, the parents had already told us to F-off when we called to show it to them.

The boy was forced into court-ordered treatment, when the video was played at a hearing to see if the DOG was in trouble.

Tard on May 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM

The cat was yelling specist slurs at the dog as it was bullying and unlawfully attacking him.

This is a clear hate crime.

Lebron James will be boycotting all cat shows.

faraway on May 15, 2014 at 8:44 PM

No word from Barry or his 2 dopey dogs….. what no beer summit?????

roflmmfao

donabernathy on May 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I bet she won’t be wearing little pu$$y mom jeans either.

fresh air on May 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM

hawkdriver on May 15, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Okay…

Full disclosure, when I was but a wee lad, two of those dang critters had a fight and I was their battlefield. Spent the next thirty years with an extreme dislike for the entire species. Early in 95′ I was remodeling a property and one of those evil animals had a litter and abandoned the runt. Waited a day for the mother to come back for the whiny little thing before telling mrs. cozmo. We ended up adopting the thing and feeding it formula with an eyedropper for weeks. It was so young its eyes were closed and its chance of survival wasn’t that great. I did win out in giving it a dogs name and it turned out to be a pretty decent pet for sixteen years.

We have another cat.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM

My cat did this to a dog too, and that dog was just barking at my child. I am a cat lover, but some cats are more special. I’ve always insisted my cat is half dog, with the good parts of the cat and the dog. If I had the money I’d get my current cat cloned over and over for as long as I live. I think we should take up a collection to get the cat in this video cloned, or at least bred!

Annielou on May 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM

very heartwarming.

dmacleo on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I did win out in giving it a dogs name

lol

hawkdriver on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM

No doubt Tara is already scheming to put on a show and it’s probably going to be a kind of reenactment of the rescue. A likely scenario will be having Jeremy pitch and when the catcher makes the catch and runs it back out to the mound, she’ll pounce on him and ride him all the way back to the dugout glued to his backside.

Dusty on May 15, 2014 at 9:05 PM

So what happened to the dog?

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Somebody here last night said the dog will be observed for 10 days then put down.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM

What that video needs are some Mel Blanc sound effects.

Cleombrotus on May 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM

That cat will eat that boy if she isn’t fed on time. Some hero.

kcewa on May 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Dogs just don’t fly off the clays launcher as well as cats.

Bishop on May 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Salutes brave Tara Cat. I love Grumpy Cat, but I freaking bow to your bravery.

Not … kidding … at all.

hawkdriver on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Confirmed dog lover … but yeah, this cat DESERVES the recognition for protecting the little boy.

PolAgnostic on May 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM

It’s time for a Henri, Le Chat Noir video, this one on politics.

I love this tuxedo dude.

onlineanalyst on May 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM

We have the sweetest most docile lap cat. One day a pit bull got into our backyard through an open gate and appeared on our deck at the screen door. Pumpkin emitted the most unholy growl and proofed up into a perfect sphere. She ran to the screen and went nose to nose with the pit. He turned tail and left. Some animals are just geared to defend.

tdarrington on May 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM

That makes sense (I guess) but dogs don’t get that way naturally. There are humans that should be held responsible.

I’m not a cat person. I think they are disgusting creatures, your heartwarming story notwithstanding. I lost my dear dog a year ago this weekend so I guess I really am not in the mood for sharing in cat love that involves putting down a dog.

Though, I’ve got to say that all cats are not heroes. I was living in an apartment where the neighbor’s cat was pure evil. For whatever reason the neighbor would put the cat out on a lead long enough so the monster could look out over the rail of the common walkway. One night when I was coming in I ended up tripping over the lead with what have been significant force for the monster. It always gave me a wide berth after that.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM

PolAgnostic on May 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM

But maybe not so much when she takes out after the mailman.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I’ll stick with a german shepard covering my six.

I can’t see rolling down the road in my pickup with a cat hanging his head out the door, tongue wagging in the wind.

wolly4321 on May 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

My dear departed cat would “bark” if I talked to a neighbor too long or when I got home from a vacation. It’s their way of protecting their territory. I thought it was sweet and miss it! He also would run after interlopers, who would usually beat the crap out of him, but at least he tried. :)

PattyJ on May 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM

OKay what’s H.A.M., Mary Katherine? :)

PattyJ on May 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM

wolly4321 on May 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Well of course not. The cat would demand to drive.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Cat showed it aint no Puss. Claws of Steel, two hairy ones, and fangs that makes a vampire jealous. nd to earn his love just give him some tuna and cream please.

OregonPolitician on May 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Well said, and very nice, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

TY Jackie! :o)

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I’m very pro cat too. Love this story.

cat_owner on May 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I think the cat looked back after the initial strike and saw the mother was gonna be there to protect the kid so she went chasing the dog off some more. Otherwise it would have probably stayed and guarded the kid. I bet her kittens would sell for thousands.

Buddahpundit on May 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM

cat_owner on May 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Never would have guessed.

Buddahpundit on May 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM

If they are responsible owners, there will be no kittens.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Mine always wanted to operate the gas pedal–either I had cruise control or I was under the speed limit, depending on whether puddy-tat was under or over the pedal.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Can she run on the Republican ticket?

will77jeff on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Cat would surely be a fan of the dog-eater.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM

But maybe not so much when she takes out after the mailman.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I have known a lot more vicious dogs (which were the fault of the owner) than I have known vicious cats …

… and I will favor a dog over a cat – except when catching mice is part of the job requirement.

To be fair to BOTH sets of companions, in the last 50+ years I have seen dogs and cats suffer accidental abuse from small children while never lashing out at the child despite their distress.

PolAgnostic on May 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM

The nice thing about cats is they don’t need our approval. Dogs do.

crankyoldlady on May 15, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I think it was a set up.
The cat was working a grift with the dog.
The Good Samaritan scam.
They split the reward.

NeoKong on May 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Dog blows money on butcher shop.
Then this happens.

Armed Texan on May 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Honestly blew me away.

Salutes brave Tara Cat. I love Grumpy Cat, but I freaking bow to your bravery.

Not … kidding … at all.

hawkdriver on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Not only that, but if you watch closely, you see that after flying into that dog like Lawrence Taylor piledriving the quarterback, then chasing it away, the cat comes back to the little boy to check on him and see if he is okay.

That cat better get some good treats after this. I don’t mean tuna, I mean like herring, or maybe caviar.

Hayabusa on May 15, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I think it was a set up.
The cat was working a grift with the dog.
The Good Samaritan scam.
They split the reward.

NeoKong on May 15, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Cat turns on the dog and has him executed.

Cat keeps the money.

cozmo on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Absolute bingo. LOL

Seriously, here’s some grudging big admiration props to that cat from this much-prefer-dogs person.

inviolet on May 15, 2014 at 11:49 PM

That this video is viral and the story is news proves this an anomaly and not a rule. Ha!

No, this cat seriously rules though. It deserves it proper days of glory.

anuts on May 16, 2014 at 12:06 AM

OKay what’s H.A.M., Mary Katherine? :)

PattyJ on May 15, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Going Hard As a Mother[bleep!!!]er ; a.k.a. commiting mayhem.

RedPepper on May 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM

“Hero Cat gets public recognition she so richly deserves, will throw first pitch”

Are you sure this is correct? Don’t you mean “Will be pitched”?

Corky Boyd on May 16, 2014 at 12:26 AM

One of the three cats we have loves to jump up on the edge of the bathroom basin when I go in to shave. She sits there looking at me until I turn on the faucet and cup my hand under it so she can drink cool water right from my hand. Of course, that’s pretty tame compared to saving a kid from a dog attack, but she keeps a watchful eye from the bay window in the living room while the grandkids are playing out front…you never know.

opaobie on May 16, 2014 at 2:48 AM

I’m a fan of both dogs and cats, always wonderful to see them doing something amazing.

Ukiah on May 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Tara is thinking of puttin in a bid for the Clippers. Sterling will fold and sell.

Kissmygrits on May 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM

She’s certainly capable of tossing a furball on the outside corner of the plate.

rukiddingme on May 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM

onlineanalyst on May 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Adds to Favorites

Cleombrotus on May 16, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I love cats in general, and this hero-cat in particular, but
throwing out a pitch at a baseball game? Sure, what cat wouldn’t like being put in a carrier and taken to a strange place full of hundreds of people and lots of noise?

This sounds like something you’d do to punish a cat.

TMA on May 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Actually, one of my cats did pretty close to the same thing. I had pulled up to the curb and opened the door for the cat I had just taken to the vet for a shot of penicillin and to have an absess drained when the same cat who caused the original wound attacked my cat yet again. My other cat rocketed across the street to ram the attacking cat into next week. The funny thing is, my Khan looked just like Tara, a little grey tiger striped cat.

catsandbooks on May 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Isn’t this story actually proof that dogs are better? Dogs have such a long history of saving humans in trouble (think Lassie)that it hardly seems necessary to remark upon when it happens. Yet one cat showing those protective traits gets national attention. Why? Because of its rarity.

Claiborne on May 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Thanks RedPepper!

One day I came home and the side door was open. My wonderful cat RIP ran out screeching and yelling at the door, so I knew someone broke in and he was telling me about it. He went HAM and scared the bad guys away! Wish I would have had a camera.

PattyJ on May 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM

PolAgnostic on May 15, 2014 at 9:26 PM

But maybe not so much when she takes out after the mailman.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Well… depends.
How much junk mail or bills is he carrying today?

We had a good-sized black cat, and got a black Lab pup.
Pup figured cat was a littermate, so he was friendly.
Cat saw pup, and thought “MINE!”

He looked out for the pup, even when that black Lab was full grown. Even waited by the door, when the dog had to go “out”.
(Of course, the cat didn’t need any help relieving himself…) :D

ReggieA on May 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM

As I’ve said elsewhere on this story, I absolutely salute that cat for taking care of business, she deserves fresh tuna for life.

A dog, however, would more likely have prevented the attack entirely. A stealth feline counter-attack is less effective than the warning barks of a good watchdog. Either the attacking dog would have checked up before getting close to the house, the boy would have been alerted that something was up, or if the dog had exit access as the cat did, it would have chased the offending dog off before it got around the car.

Freelancer on May 16, 2014 at 6:18 PM