GOP senators: We’ll pass immigration reform next year if we take back the Senate

posted at 4:01 pm on May 15, 2014 by Allahpundit

Give Rubio credit for being candid about this. I think some conservatives are under the impression that if Republicans retake the Senate and thereby remove any agenda-setting power from Democratic hands, that’s the end of amnesty until 2017 at the earliest. Nope. The GOP is not going to risk another presidential election without something to show Latino voters on immigration. They’ll risk a midterm because Latinos won’t be a force in November, but they won’t risk it in a high-turnout campaign with the White House on the line.

And look. While it’s true that a Republican-only bill would be better than the Gang of Eight bill, it’s only marginally true. If you think Obama and the Democrats are going to agree to some sort of tough security-only measure without a deal on legalizing illegals too, you’re kidding yourself. They know that the whole point of this effort politically for the GOP is to make nice with Latinos and that the closer we get to 2016, the more desperate Republicans will be. That’s the Democrats’ leverage. If McConnell and Boehner try to pass something that, say, makes legalization conditional upon security improvements, Reid will either filibuster it or Obama will veto it and then McConnell et al. will panic at the possibility that they might not pass something before 2016 after all. That is to say, no matter how much the GOP blathers about border enforcement and security, what they’re really interested in — both for political reasons and to please their masters in the business lobby — is legalization. If they passed a security-only bill and did nothing to amnestize illegals who are here, that might put them in an even worse position with Latinos in 2016. Why on earth would they do that?

“I certainly think we can make progress on immigration particularly on topics like modernizing our legal immigration system, improving our mechanisms for enforcing the law and I think if you did those things you could actually make some progress on addressing those who are illegally,” Rubio said Wednesday evening of the prospects of passing immigration reform in 2015.

He said the Senate next year should pass immigration reform through a series of sequential bills that build upon each other to enact comprehensive reform. This approach would be more palatable in the House, he said…

Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), the lead author of the comprehensive Senate immigration bill, signaled Wednesday that Democrats would not be willing to join in such an effort

He said House Republicans have a narrow window between early June and the August recess to act.

“I am saying that if Speaker [John] Boehner [Ohio], [House Majority] Leader [Eric] Cantor [Va.], and other Republican leaders refuse to schedule a vote on immigration reform during this window, it will not pass until 2017 at the earliest,” he said on the Senate floor Wednesday.

In theory, having Senate Democrats serially filibuster a bunch of smaller, piecemeal GOP immigration bills would let Republicans argue in 2016 that Democrats are now the obstacle to amnesty, not them. In practice, it won’t work that way. Democrats will simply point out that they’re filibustering in the name of getting a better deal for illegals, which is true, and then Obama will issue an executive order before 2016 on immigration to show Latino voters that Democrats are still their bestest friends. They have lots of leverage, even as a Senate minority. Maybe, though, Senate Dems would agree to splitting comprehensive reform into smaller bills purely as a formality, so long as they get a good deal from Republicans on legalization. There’s no risk, after all, that the president’s going to sign a small bill on border security if Democrats agree to it and then veto a bill on legalization; Obama could refuse to sign anything unless and until the legalization bill has passed both houses. Why conservatives should care whether a bad deal is passed comprehensively or piecemeal is beyond me, but it sounds like that’s going to be the next way they try to sell this to the base. “We’re going slow, step by step, even though … we’re going to end up in the same place as the Gang of Eight.”

Anyway, via Breitbart, here’s your would-be GOP nominee wondering why anyone would question the economic dynamism that comes with importing lots of unskilled labor at a time when unemployment in America is already stubbornly high. Skip to 19:30 for the key bit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

When Democrats heard Obama was against gay marriage, they knew it for BS.

rhombus on May 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM

So you believe the GOPe is just BSing everyone and that they’re really, secretly against amnesty?

I don’t believe that for a second. Surely you’re not that naïve.

They’re for it, I have no doubts about that at all. The only reason they haven’t done it yet is because they fear being thrown out on their azzes in November.

And if/when they do it, the very next election, they should all be thrown out on their azzes.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Heh. Reason #4673 to support tea party candidates and tell the GOPe to go pound sand on $$$ and votes. I’m done being force fed their corporate welfare crap sandwiches.

batter on May 15, 2014 at 5:52 PM

This.

It’s like the US military is being tasked with defending every border in the world except the one border that it has a supreme duty to defend: America’s border.

Set priorities, give clear orders, and let’s see how “impossible” it is for the most powerful military the world has ever seen to defend its nation’s border.

David Blue on May 15, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Yep. If defending the sovereignty of America offends some people, like Mexico. They could feel free to challenge it. I’d like to see how that works out for them.

America needs to start treating illegal immigrants EXACTLY the same as Mexico treats theirs.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:51 PM

They are negotiating their severance packages. They will have to be pretty huge to ensure that when the country collapses because of them, they still have wealth enough to last hundreds of lifetimes.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM

…Can’t wait for the waves of Hispanic votes after this. That is, per Pew research, as soon as the fine GOP Senators et al expand government programs/bennies and give us single-payer, we’ll be rakin’ in those votes!

batter on May 15, 2014 at 5:59 PM

ajacksonian on May 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Well Said!

tomshup on May 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM

This is another reason I support the Convention of States. The national GOP needs to be eliminated with term limits. Fedzilla needs to be reigned in.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Recent polling shows the GOP in position to best their 2010 gains.

We need to figure out a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I have to admit that if America was overrun with millions of hard working, conservative thinking illegals, I’d be sorely tempted to go against my own tenets and legalize them to keep the vote in my corner.
But to sell our birthright, like Esau, to a bunch of deadbeat latinos that will vote to keep your moral and cultural enemies in power ad nauseum, makes no logical long or short term sense.

AppraisHer on May 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 6:01 PM

That may ultimately be the only thing left to save America.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM

That may ultimately be the only thing left to save America.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Otherwise things get really messy.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM

A May 7th solicitation by the U.S. Department of Agriculture seeks “the commercial acquisition of submachine guns [in] .40 Cal. S&W.”

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Must be that new “Africanized” corn and wheat, I heard that can be dangerous if it gangs up on you.

Seriously, Dept. of Ag with frickin automatic weapons?

Wow. We may have a rumble yet.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Seriously, Dept. of Ag with frickin automatic weapons?

Wow. We may have a rumble yet.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I’ll save some time and just get this out there myself…

raaaaacist

There ya go.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Sure, go ahead…But if you do I am staying home. Good luck with that latino vote, you won’t get those either. The GOP is just a group of stupid $u&7s.

wsucoug on May 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Just say no. November is too cold for us to go outside and do something as pointless as to vote

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM

OMG – please say you’re kidding

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

OMG – please say you’re kidding

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

When the party is point blank threatening the base to do something the base does not want if the base rewards them with a majority, I would say it is pretty pointless to vote.
I might vote representative and state if there are any people worth voting for there, but if voting equals helping pass amnesty, I can pass on the senate.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Republican Texas Rep. Jeb Hensarling will speak next week at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C. to lay out his political and economic priorities, raising his visibility within the conservative movement as he potentially mounts a campaign to run for speaker of the House after the 2014 midterm elections.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:06 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Look – I understand your sentiment – I honestly do.

But, I consider my vote my most precious American gift – and I use it as best I can, with thoughtful pride.

I have made awful votes – Perot – Bob (freaking) Dole, I even voting for John McCain – and I hate that guy.

In the end – on occasion we must make difficult decisions – but we make use of the POWER of our vote to decide between two sides – no matter how slim the margin may appear.

Astonerii – I suspect you and I are miles apart on most ‘social’ issues – but we both love this country – I know that.

Never concede your vote – you are far too engaged and too informed to ever do that.
—-

I now return us to normality. LOL

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I even voting for John McCain – and I hate that guy.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Well when you have the choice of voting for the turd, or the turd that’s on fire, you vote for the turd….less damage that way.

wsucoug on May 15, 2014 at 7:17 PM

wsucoug on May 15, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I needed a good laugh – thanks for that

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Reagan passed the first amnesty and Hispanics did not flock to vote GOP and they wouldn’t this time, either. This is not for votes. This is for donor dollars because big business wants a standing cheap foreign labor source, and a renewable one, too, since no border security virtually guarantees a continual flow of illegals over our borders to keep wages low and take American jobs, but they’ll also get their doubled number of visas for legal cheaper foreign labor to take tech and mid-level jobs, too.

This is a sell out. The GOP is selling out the rule of law, the American citizens and legal immigrants to appease their big business cash donors.

The issue has reached a tipping point for me. Since the GOP has enabled or outright passed the Democrats agenda, and now made it clear they mean to continue appeasing their big business donors and passing the Democrats agenda for them regardless of how much damage it causes the rule of law or the citizens and legal immigrants of this nation, it makes no difference to me who wins these elections.

They’ve sold us out on ObamaCare, and now they mean to sell working Americans out on amnesty, too. Call it a day. The GOP is dead.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM

This. This. A THOUSAND TIMES. This.

xNavigator on May 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM

If Republican Senators think they will get a couple of votes from supporters of illegal aliens then they had better contend with the loss of all four votes from our family. This is not a peripheral issue for us, this is destroying the country.

leader4hru on May 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I’m going to work my butt of to help the GOP get the control of the Senate and then whine when they do what they said they were going to do.

rjl1999 on May 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Allah outlines why we need to lose more elections and keep Harry Reid as majority leader… Yay.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM

rjl1999 on May 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Awesome.

You post is funny – sad – terrible – great – holy crud what a time we are living in.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM

There is something worse than letting your vote go uncounted.

It is to reward bad behavior of those who are supposed to be on your side.

This is why I do not much respect your position. It is not what you vote for, but the fact that you are willing to support immoral people who in fact have every reason to represent someone other than yourself.

Your vote is precounted. They do not have to earn it. You effectively have made the value of your vote 0 while at the same time declaring it immeasurably valuable to you.

You see, we have two party rule. No third party is going to win. We all know that. Thus Conservatives have no home. Republicans have decided to chase after the unearnable votes of people who demand regressive government that steals from people like me who produce more wealth than they consume and give to themselves, people who create far less wealth than they demand to consume.

That was moderately tolerable and I stupidly still gave the Republicans my vote. We all did. Now, if you look at where the party is, did our loyalty accomplish anything?

Lets look at Bush’s years. He effectively ignored the housing bubble and while complaining about the GSE’s being unaccountable pushed for them to accept ever lower standard loans to push minority home ownership. No Child Left Behind. Medicare Part D. TSA. Homeland insecurity. The eavesdropping on American Citizens by the NSA started under him. TARP. None of which is conservative. Despite having a majority house, senate and presidency the only ostensibly conservative thing he did was tax cuts, but lets be frank about those tax cuts, they were not really conservative, they effectively pushed tens of millions of more Americans off the tax payer side and onto the tax subsidy side of the line. Lets also not forget the amnesty push replete with xenophobic charges on people like myself.

Here is the problem. Like a child that gets their way when they cry, every single time you cave to them when they cry, it builds a more belligerent child. One that is more willing to disrespect you and use these tactics for less and less meaningful issues.

Effectively, you vote regardless argument is an argument for an ever more belligerent GOP with respect to conservative values. You had every year since Reagan left office to accomplish something with your policy. It has not worked. It cannot work. It will never work.

I felt like you do, up until around 2005. Vote every election, put signs up. Talk to relatives and friends and make sure to get the Republican voted into office. Well, except the sheriff in the home city, he was an anti-gun frootcake that had to go!

Time for you to grow up and realize that you are reinforcing the bad habits the Republican party has acquired. Until they are forced to stop picking their noses and rubbing it into our hair, they will continue to do so, and next they will be wiping their feces into your mouth and pissing in your cheerios. Yes, you are going to suffer with the Republican party losing, because the democrats are worse. That there is another brown up thing people do. When you are mature, you are willing to suffer a little bit in order to create a better life in the future.

Kind of like eating ramen noodles with a little veggies on top of eggs while you work your way through college. Yes, even with the G.I. bill you have to make money, to pay for things that are not covered, such as your living arraignments and food. Riding a bicycle instead of having a car. Not going out partying with your friends all the time. Some sacrifice so that that in a few years time you have not just a degree, but the new skill sets to create wealth and earn a good living for many decades to come.

Now, I know what your argument is going to be. The democrats are worse, and if they have too much power we will never recover.

It is a good point and at the same time worthless. Why? Because the Republican party is moving the nation to the left just like the democrats. So in 2 years we will be in a worse situation than we are today. And in 2 more years worse yet. And 2 more years, yet again, yes, worse than ever before. NO MATTER WHO WAS IN CONTROL. This will get perpetually worse of course as the Republican party keeps pushing that envelope every further to the left as people like you continue to reward them with your unearned vote. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that the drift to the left is not what you do in fact want here.

So, if every single moment into the future is always going to be a worse moment to finally bite the bullet and get the Republican party under control… there is no hope with your plan to just vote in the most conservative on the ballot in November. Because every year the most conservative person will be further to the left than the one before and emboldened with your votes to move further left.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Damnit stop making me feel bad about being mean to you in another thread!

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

—-

I now return us to normality. LOL

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I agree completely, but the guy you are talking to never saw an election that he didn’t want to lose to the democrats out of conservative principles or something. Here, this was during the run up to the last election:

There were at least three other times we had smaller discussions. Maybe you should get a notepad and write this down. If the Republican nominee is Romney, then astonerii and his extended family will be voting for Obama.
astonerii on February 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

The point of voting Obama is to try to prevent Romney from ruining the brand name. Like Bush did….
astonerii on February 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I vote Obama if the only other choice on the ballot is Romney.
astonerii on October 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Romney is absolutely unacceptable to me as a Republican president and why I will work against his election if he is the nominee.
astonerii on March 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I will convince my 28 member extended family to vote Obama and let the Democrats take the responsibility for the next four years.
You can b!tch and moan all you want about how unfair it is….
astonerii on January 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

If you cannot live with another 4 years of Obama, pity to you for being such a pathetically weak person.
astonerii on March 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I will actively vote against Romney […] I will not go third party, I will go for the throat and vote direct for Obama.
[...] Vote for Obama.
astonerii on February 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I would vote Obama just to shut people like you up.
astonerii on November 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I see Romney as a bigger long term threat to the nation than Obama.
astonerii on April 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I will vote Obama…
astonerii on April 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I vote Obama if Romney is on the ticket. I will not go so far as to send a donation or put a sticker on my bumper, I never put stickers on my bumper, but I will vote.
astonerii on July 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM

I can vote for Obama. This gives the most value. I am young enough to fight in a civil war today and a decade or so more, thus if I vote Obama, and he can bring the collapse of the American dollar and our economy faster than the R, my vote for him gives me value.
[...]
According to my chart, voting Obama if the primary voters decide to pick a progressive is my next best option.

astonerii on June 17, 2011 at 8:47 PM

And on and on and on… his posts should come with a surgeon generals warning.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Wow – I first have to pay respect for the time and thought you put into your reply/post – it is a magnificent effort.

If I may – I must skip any kind of rebuttal – and instead simply say that your post has reshaped my opinion of you – in a completely positive way.

My excuse,, for not replying at length – I have to make dinner for my teenage girls – eating machines.

Yesterday I would have glossed over your posts – tomorrow I will make an extra effort to read and appreciate them.

Much new found respect – imagine if this trend would catch on…

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I put your post through the psycobabble to english – english to psycobabble translator and it spat out this:

If I don’t get everything I want without lifting a finger to get it I’m going to hold my breath, toss my toys from the crib and stomp my feet and you will all be sorry!

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM </blockquotee

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM

We are all part of this big dysfunctional GOP family.

I love it – I fight with my friends

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Much new found respect – imagine if this trend would catch on…

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

You have been had. Bamboozled. Lied to.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Here, this was during the run up to the last election:

And on and on and on… his posts should come with a surgeon generals warning.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Nice lies there.
Yeah, those are my posts. But it seems they stop well before the run up to the last election. That election was November 2012 was it not? What is the latest date on those? April 5th?

Of course, your vote is worthless. It is never earned, just simply given without regard for representation.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

You have been had. Bamboozled. Lied to.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Maybe,, but I respect anyone who engages with me and voices their views.

I love the GOP – we never walk in lock step – and so it goes

It’s like the dinner I am about to have with my girls – hell and love

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM

The fact that Rubio would even be pictured with that loathsome Schumer indicates how untrustworthy he is.

rickv404 on May 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

More lies I see. do you ever tell the truth?

I put yours through my mind and what I get is.

I want the future of this nation to perpetually be further to the left and more and more dysfunctional because I am never willing to suffer in order to get a better long term outcome.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM

We are all part of this big dysfunctional GOP family.

I love it – I fight with my friends

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM

There are Mobys on this site. A fellow that goes by Hondav65 spent a lot of time convincing people to stay at home for the election or actually vote for Obama last time around. The meme stuck with astonerii who just regurgitated the logic that helped to keep hundreds of thousands of malleable dupes home and enabled the worst administration in US history to implement a progressive, racial “redistributive justice” agenda.
Most people have since caught on that letting the perfect be the enemy of the good just enables the absolutely horrible, but not astonerii.
I have proposed that there is more to democracy than just voting, you have to also hold your representatives accountable when they are in. (click on my name for a link to Milton Freedman basically saying the same thing) astonerii doesn’t want to be bothered. He’s not going to vote until the perfact candidate comes along.
The last perfect person we saw we crucified, so we may be in for a long wait for astonerii’s help.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I do my share of calling representatives. They are on speed dial from work and my cell phone and my wife’s cell phone. I have no problem reminding them who they work for. It should not be a full time job like it has been since around 2004.

Like I said. If you never hold them to account, and the ONLY real account is whether they are in office or not, then you have nothing to offer them. Their constituents then are the people that they think they can earn votes from. Yours is already given and has 0 value to them. They certainly are not moving to the right to coax more conservatives to the polls. They move to the left, and this specific thread is proof positive that they do not respect in any way at all conservative voters.

If you elect us, we will screw you over, you can take that to the bank.

Your response. Vote for them! We want to be screwed over!

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Nice lies there.

I included the dates.

So you didn’t post that over and over?

So because I don’t make a complete ass out of myself with idle threats my vote is worthless or something.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM

More lies I see. do you ever tell the truth?

That was called a “joke”. There is no such thing as a psycobabble translator. Are you really that gullible? . never mind.

I put yours through my mind and what I get is.

Well you have acknowledged that you have brain damage.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM

It’s like the dinner I am about to have with my girls – hell and love

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM

You are lucky to have each other, have a good dinner.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Not what you said before.

I’ve outlined other ways a dozen times now.

The party has moved right, that’s a fact.

If you elect us, we will screw you over, you can take that to the bank.

By “us” you mean Rubio. Primary him, be my guest.

Your response. Vote for them! We want to be screwed over!

Vote for the best electable and hold accountable. Got to go…

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM

If the Establishment/CoC insist on passing amnesty, then the TP/conservatives should join forces with Democrats to pass a minimum wage increase. In fact, they should probably threaten to attach it to the immigration bill.

K. Hobbit on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

There won’t be any amnesty if Jeff Sessions is majority leader. He’s been on conservative s side all along on this issue.

cat_owner on May 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I’m actually *proud* to call him my senator. How many posters on HotAir can say their proud of their senator! In addition to being a stalwart on the amnesty issue, he was one of the few senators who supported Ted Cruz in his Obamacare filibuster and actually stayed on the senate floor with him. He really does fight the good fight.

KickandSwimMom on May 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM

If you elect us, we will screw you over, you can take that to the bank.

Your response. Vote for them! We want to be screwed over!

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Seriously, I think some people here have a really bad case of battered house wife syndrome.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Brilliant….seriously brilliant.

A min wage hike is good for no one, but if the Republican Establishment wants to use its leverage to import helots, like make sure that they can’t do it by passing amnesty…

18-1 on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Your name says conservative… you obviously aint one if you do not think the GOP has treated you well over the last 15 years.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

LOL. I was agreeing with YOU.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

The party has moved right, that’s a fact.

Rick Santorum was a middle of the road Republican in 1994. Now he is an extremely extreme extremist according to the state media.

How is that possible if the party has moved right?

18-1 on May 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Please keep up the the fight don’t leave us communists to fight the fascists alone

redyoshii on May 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Valerie Jarrett says she has a commitment from Boehner…………….

d1carter on May 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I hope they try something in August. At least they try to stab from the front. And get their asses voted out.

But it is congress. They will do it after the election when there is no accountability.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM

LOL. I was agreeing with YOU.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Oh, shit.
I totally misunderstood battered wife syndrome
My bad.
Cannot believe that was over my head. I think I need some sleep.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Okay then…..damned if you do, damned if you dont. Thanks republicans. We’er behind you all the way….down the toilet.

jaywemm on May 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM

KickandSwimMom on May 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I’ve said for years that Jeff Sessions would be as good or even better than Ronald Reagan if he were president. He is by far the very best that cesspool of a Senate has to offer. He’s a true patriot who puts his country and its people first. Every. Single. Time. If you had about 10 of him in the Senate, I think amnesty could be stopped. But there’s too much treason and too much chamber of commerce money to stop this trainwreck.

TxAnn56 on May 15, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Oh, shit.
I totally misunderstood battered wife syndrome
My bad.
Cannot believe that was over my head. I think I need some sleep.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Arguing with V7_Sport would tend to cause brain. Like arguing with joana.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 9:03 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM

THREAD WINNER

SparkPlug on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Whle I am happy that Ben Sasse won’t his primary, I am saddened that more Americans have not realized that the RINOS like Beohner and McConnell are not there friends. Right now it looks like it is a pipe-dream for McConnell to be kicked-out of office. As long as these people have no real opposition they have no need to pay attention to us. So don’t expect anything to change for the better until this country decides it needs a change in DC.

Nat George on May 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

It’s amazing that Latinos don’t get offended, being used as a political football by both parties. Rubio panders “we’ll pass immigration reform” and Schummer says “We’re for amnesty, just not Republican sponsored amnesty because that’s our vote getting topic”

Conservatives are fighting a two front war against dems and reps on immigration. We’re getting Chamber of Commerce ads supporting immigration reform Republicans where I live. Believe in enforcing the border, the racist label gets applied. Amazing how all other countries get to enforce their borders without being called racists. The amnesty shills ignore the elephant in the room regarding insecure borders – terrorists are among the illegals that are coming here and they don’t care for either party or the Chamber of Commerce.

For years I bought the line that I must vote Republican because the Democrats are so bad and the Supreme Court judge appointments are critical. Kennedy supported the confiscatory emminent domain law that takes land from citizens to give to businesses. Roberts gave the Supreme Court stamp of approval on Obama Care. Who appointed these guys? The Republicans are backstabbers, at least Democrats are honest about what they want (power in exchange for handouts). I no longer trust the Republican Party. I will vote in November because I care about local races. But if the Republican Party wants to talk conservative while acting progressive, then, what difference at this point does it make. I’m so sick of it all!

Ibanez Lotus on May 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM

They just can’t wait to start helping democrats enlist new Dem voters.

Old eagle on May 15, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I don’t suffer from Battered Conservative Syndrome. These basids vote for Shamnesty, I’m going to the polls and adopting the corrupt gopE’s motto.

“Better a Democrat than someone who is not one of us.”

Jayrae on May 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Valerie Jarrett says she has a commitment from Boehner…………….

d1carter on May 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

On what planet is it required for the Speaker to give a commitment to an aid to the president? By what power would an aid even have to seek one?….and the Speaker caves to the request, against the people he supposedly represents, and his party’s base??
Why?

Mimzey on May 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Then we have to make certain they don’t take the Senate.

FloatingRock on May 15, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Obviously the GOP doesn’t need conservatives anymore. They don’t need a base to get elected, and they certainly don’t need anyone’s consent once they are there.

As soon as the Federal Government slipped its reins this was always going to happen, right from the start. There’s no way to avoid this once government starts in with the taking control of anyone’s life.

The only answer is to make a Federal Government that only has the power to defend the country’s territorial integrity, and nothing else. It isn’t supposed to be passing laws that control our personal behavior or our commerce. The Constitution may need a rewrite for that to happen, because it grants the Aristocrats far too much power over us explicitly, in its own words.

Of course, since no one can agree on anything anymore its more likely that we’ll have collapse and war.

Another Libertarian on May 15, 2014 at 10:46 PM

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 8:16 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

LOL. I was agreeing with YOU.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Ha! That ought to learn ‘ya.

Not being willing to give up on the country and turn it over to the socialists, grievance mongers and pajama boys isn’t “battered wife syndrome”. It’s patriotism. The task of getting us back to who we should be is huge and it doesn’t just involve the political, however a good start toward that end would be getting rid of Harry Reid and Barack Obama, and not electing Hillary Clinton.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Valerie Jarrett says she has a commitment from Boehner…………….

d1carter on May 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Why?

Mimzey on May 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM

The good news is that Boner has figured out who is really in charge.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I just received a letter asking to donate to help Republicans re-take the Senate and actually considered tossing them a few bux.
Not anymore.

Every single one of them, R or D, need to be replaced

Pelosi Schmelosi on May 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Amnesty is not a priority for most Hispanics. Amnesty is a priority of the corporate welfare class.

If the GOP want to win an election it needs to pick up electoral college votes in places like the Midwest (WI, WA, IA, MI, IL, etc). That means picking up more middle class white voters who have been heavily impacted by free trade and the reduction of manufacturing jobs.

Until the party creates policy planks that change its economic message it will not win enough of these voters and will continue to lose elections.

Middle of the road white voters will not blindly follow the GOP like whites in south eastern states do, where the GOP/Dem divide is largely due to racial differences. Most blacks are in the south, and since they are Dems, most whites are Republicans. This does not sell in the Midwest where the same racial demographics don’t exist.

In these states there needs to be a better jobs and wages agenda. Bringing in millions of chain migrants to artificially hold down wages will kill the GOP as it now exists.

FrankT on May 15, 2014 at 11:27 PM

The leaders of the Republican Party serve Big Money. It’s Big Money who want cheap labor. American Citizens want illegals deported, want our laws to be enforced, want employers who break our laws by hiring illegals prosecuted. American Citizens want jobs, jobs, jobs, that Republican leadership and Big Money want to give to illegals. I am almost done with the Republican Party, and if they really think I will be forced to vote for their candidate to stop the Dem candidate, they are very, very mistaken—A POX ON BOTH THEIR HOUSES!

Oracleforhire on May 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM

TxAnn56 on May 15, 2014 at 9:00 PM

When people really get serious about a third party and start doing it, it will be necessary to get some experienced politicians into the party, if only to warn all the new guys of traps that the pros know about. Only, where do you find trustworthy experienced politicians?

Jeff Sessions is an important guy. When he’s convinced a third party is ready to replace the GOP, it probably is. If he wants to lead it, he probably can.

David Blue on May 16, 2014 at 1:22 AM

So I take it that neither party is concerned about the effect that cheap immigrant labor will have on this country’s employment rate?

skilaki on May 16, 2014 at 3:01 AM

Hell no to amnesty. Hell no to Jeb Bush. Simply Hell no.

Theophile on May 16, 2014 at 3:33 AM

—-
I now return us to normality. LOL
jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 7:12 PM

By voting McCain, you conceded your vote. Perot was an independent with no chance of winning. By voting Perot, you voted for someone who had no chance of winning. So what’s your point?

Brock Robamney on May 16, 2014 at 5:36 AM

“The GOP is not going to risk another presidential election without something to show Latino voters on immigration.”

I suppose then that those who oppose giving amnesty to double digit millions of illegal residents, many of them with little in the way of education and skills, and putting them at the head of the line for permanent residency or citizenship, just might as well stay home this November or go ahead and vote for the real Democrat.

Nomas on May 16, 2014 at 6:30 AM

Oracleforhire on May 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I’m way past almost done. I told my R congressman’s office, should a GOP controlled House pass amnesty, not only will I not vote for him, I will vote for the Democrat, to send a message. And it won’t matter how he votes. Some of these guys are given permission to vote no, just to keep their seats. We all know how that game is played. When I told the aide that I’d vote against him if necesssary, she said, “if he votes no, that’s not really fair.” I said, well then he better convince his fellow congressmen not to pass it then.

O/T Early voting in the lt. gov runoff in Texas starts Monday. Vote Dan Patrick who is a staunch amnesty opponent.

TxAnn56 on May 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I understand that you think this sounds good. As you’ve of course read some stern sounding snippet of Mexican immigration law.

But if you refer to our actual laws on the books as well, you could find virtually the exact same statements, tone, and wording.

It’s the ENFORCEMENT thing that gets places.

And let me tell you, it is INFINITELY easier for an American to enter Mexico, travel off into some part of it, and live just fine for the rest of their lives.

I could be in Mexico tomorrow if I chose to. It’s THAT easy to just drive into Mexico as a foreigner.

So, you see, even though you THINK in sounds good, in REALITY, we are exponentially tougher on our enforcement of our southern border and illegals who come from there, than Mexico is of their northern border and… Well… Anybody who comes from there.

You haven’t quite thought out critically or objectively what your actually saying and merely expressing yourself emotionally.

Genuine on May 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Genuine on May 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM

The more relevant comparison would be how Mexico treats illegal immigration across its southern border.

David Blue on May 16, 2014 at 8:23 AM

That they are too dumb to learn from history? The Hispanics didn’t move to the right before, and they won’t do it this time either. They will just keep pulling the football away. They will only risk it if they pass some sort of amnesty.

Patriot Vet on May 16, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Let’s just annex Mexico and re-distribute their wealth. They have plenty of oil.
We could at the same time legalize Heroin and let the cartels run that, of course they have to pay 75% tax on all sales.

redguy on May 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Heh, I got an e-mail and a letter from the RNC saying my membership has expired…

Well, it will stay that way.

redguy on May 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM

So, what exactly IS the point of the GOP these days?

Murf76 on May 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM

So, what exactly IS the point of the GOP these days?

Murf76 on May 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Distraction to the voters to make them believe they have a choice in the government. Thus preventing the required correction that people would naturally decide to accomplish with means other than voting.

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM

FrankT on May 15, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Pathetic. Clueless. Bigoted. I suspect you’ve never been to any southern states. But there’s good news. You don’t need a visa to see how ridiculous your statement above really is. /sarc

Murf76 on May 16, 2014 at 9:15 AM

So many here do not understand the real dynamic and what has really gone wrong with American politics.

The GOP is supposed to be in favor of importing cheap labor. It’s their job.

Once upon a time, back when I was a child, the Democratic Party was the party that was supposed to defend the interests of the working poor, and they actually did that much of the time.

Then there was the sixties and the Vietnam War and the Great Society and, finally, 1972. In 1972 the extreme leftwing nuts took over the Democratic Party, lock, stock and barrel.

The Democratic Party is now all environmental nuts, race hustlers, government workers, Marxists and a smattering of union bosses and other assorted criminal types.

No one has been interested in the working poor for a very long time.

So I don’t blame the GOPe for wanting to cram amnesty down our throats. That is what they are supposed to be doing.

The Democrats are supposed to be opposing it, but their voters have become too stupid for words. When a country gets tens of millions of its voters voting directly against their own interests, it is going to have a very rough go of it.

fadetogray on May 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Patriot Vet on May 16, 2014 at 8:33 AM

What they don’t understand is that Hispanics will never vote GOP in numbers. This will only be expanding the democratic base.

weedisgood on May 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM

weedisgood on May 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Certainly. But this GOP leadership does not care about that. That’s a problem for the GOP leadership 20 or 30 years down the road. These guys will all be retired to plum jobs in the ‘private’ sector.

fadetogray on May 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM

It’s like the Matrix: The illusion of choice keeps everyone in bondage.

Free Indeed on May 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM

All I know is that passing Amnesty is a giant PANDER to Big Business and latino voters. It’s got nothing to do with the best interests of this country as a whole. So, what they’re doing now is all about THEM, not about us. And if they think for even a second that people like me are going to get over it by 2016, they can think again.

I agree with this:

TxAnn56 on May 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I’m holding them ALL accountable. None of this wily business of allowing a few folks off as “safe”. I’m not buying it. They need to prove their mettle this time. If Boehner makes a move on amnesty, they need to mount a political coup against him and prevent it from happening.

Murf76 on May 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM

This is always the hard one: stay home and poke a finger in the GOP’s eye, or vote for them even though they are going to make the country a worse place than it is. While I respect astonerii’s posts, I’m just not sure.

Surely, President Romney would have done some stupid things, but Obama has kicked the ball so far down the field there’s no way Romney could be worse.

On the other hand, if we don’t let the GOP know that we won’t support them unless the actually represent US, they will continue their current path toward a worse -off country.

Many here at Hotair have said that if they pass an amnesty it’s really the end of the GOP anyway, as the Dems will have a locked up majority. If that’s true, what’s the difference between not voting for the GOP (and the Dem’s winning) and voting GOP and then having them vote themselves into obscurity?

Free Indeed on May 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Some things about this could work, but it can’t be the GWB immigration reform, it has to be reconfirming the laws on the books that are being enforced improperly by the president, especially where the Visitors have overstayed and ended up in our jails where there seems to be No Controlling Legal authority.

I think I would start by demanding enforcement of key provisions on the books. When the republicans have the House and the Senate, we will need to stick together better than in spring of 2010 when the budget turned into Republicans trying to defund Planned Parenthood. Republicans trying to take your birth control away. Let’s not go there, and lets not go immediately to immigration reform…but I do see possibilities in 2015 and 2016 to repair the system, republicans will have no excuse not to make it better…especially now that it only takes 50% vote in the Senate to get your way.

I want simplicity and truth, I don’t want any so called “bipartisan/liberal” bills, I want NON partisan ideas passed immediately and on Obama’s desk where he has to refuse them. The reason Harry Reid does not bring these things up is that he uses the process to corrupt anything simple that the country wants, with insane liberal requests. Conservative bills should be all about simplicity. The details should be proscribed by Congress in the bill, all about one subject only, not ten subjects and not subject to any interpretations.

I want some “teeth” in E-Verify which penalizes the worker severely, if they use fraudulent documents. I want to make employers feel that the E Verify works for them, and is not set up to entrap them. And penalties and a standard set for those who knowingly hire illegally. Your business can be harmed by illegals committing fraud against you, and that isn’t fair. No less than fingerprinting and a criminal background check is acceptable to me. You can’t hire an illegal worker with a criminal background. They need to leave.

I want single issue bills like Rand Paul supports, with no riders, attachments, amendments, or pork. And I want the new Senate to abolish seniority privileges so that all Senators are equal…perhaps with a 6 month grace period when people are new. These are the structural things we should be thinking about.

This is the topic we should be discussing. But yes, some things on border security, and illegal immigrants can be moved forward in the GOP majority Senate, the media is going to want to shape it, we can’t let that happen. No comprehensive Obama Care style, pass it to find out what’s in it legislation!

On this topic I support Rand Paul’s single issue legislation proposal. No more, throwing in the kitchen sink. Congress will be more specific, and circumscribe Obama’s “interpretation” of the new laws.

Republicans need to use this opportunity to load up the president’s desk with bills that are so simple and clear that he cannot refuse to sign them. These are the plans I want to hear about, not anybodies pet amnesty for illegals scheme.

Fleuries on May 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Recent polling shows the GOP in position to best their 2010 gains.

We need to figure out a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Utter and complete lies. The polling is nowhere near as favorable for the GOP this midterms as it was in 2010. Like, not even close. WhyTF do you feel the need to compulsively lie on here?

Check out real clear politics. By May Republicans were consistently scoring +5 on the generic ballot and frequently were around +8 and +9. There were a few outliers that had Democrats doing well, but by the time summer hit the GOP advantage in the generic ballot was clear and insurmountable.

libfreeordie on May 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Murf76 on May 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Vote state and local at the least so long as the person is conservative and strong on national borders. That is where many future federal politicians will come from.

One reason Romney’s non state supreme court nominees were so atrocious is that by nominating such progressives to the lower courts it prevents future supreme court positions from having potential constitutional candidates.

So, at least try to get your local and state representatives in position to move up into federal.

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Free Indeed on May 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

There will be war waged on thinking republicans and conservatives thru the blogs to dis spirit you, and tell you your candidates are not Pure enough. No one is good enough for you.

In the GWB era there were republican majorities, and the media shamed them into “sharing power” and “compassionate (i can’t even say it)” and our people did not have an activist history, we had not had the grassroots taste for action that has developed since. You need to get your majority in, even if you would not vote for them for dog catcher, but then you have to control them with your presence in D.C. Obama ignored our presence on the health care law, he flew over the crowds and pretended he didn’t know they were protesting…lied to the media…I remember Malkin putting the events on the web because the media (except Fox) did not cover it. First you have to elect them, then you have to be even more vigilant, instead of letting the media tell them the temperature.

That is where all the pro-illegal stuff comes from…the media bubble in Washington. John McCain is a good example, he is always knee-jerk-reacting to some “1970′s 80′s 90′s, Today Show” message, he doesn’t have a clue how conservatives see issues and think. When you hear the elderly republicans come out for progressive issues, they practically repeat what they hear on MSM and …well, The Today Show. The Today Show is really, The Yesterday show…a lot like Alice in Wonderland, we must have had our jam yesterday, cuz we don’t have any today.

Fleuries on May 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM

libfreeordie on May 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Based on the senate we are in better position than we were in 2010 and will most certainly gain more seats than we have had in quite some time. Thus, besting 2010 in the senate.
Back to the liberal dreamer.

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM

This is always the hard one: stay home and poke a finger in the GOP’s eye,
Free Indeed on May 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

You are totally thinking of it wrong.
Staying home is not meant as a poke in their eye. It is meant more as a behavior modifying reprimand such as you give a misbehaving child. You do not do it out of spite, you do it out of love with an eye on their future benefit. Trust me, I hate spanking my daughter. It would be nice if I could just let her always be happy, but it is not how humans work. The less I spank her when given cause, the more belligerent she becomes. She does understand that I tolerate her outbursts out in public far less than I do at home.
The GOP certainly are acting as children, they have no discipline and no core values. Some do, and those deserve to be rewarded. Each person should evaluate their potential candidates and decide what to do. But they should spend time on the phones to their representatives to remind them who they work for and what it is you want them working towards. It does no good to stay home and leave them wondering why they were abandoned.

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Good luck with getting rid of the socialists when you finish legalizing all those new socialist party voters. Stupidity is not patriotic and you can lose 2016 by yourselves.

magicbeans on May 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM

This is always the hard one: stay home and poke a finger in the GOP’s eye,
Free Indeed on May 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Don’t stay home. Vote third party, and I am NOT talking Losertarian.

bw222 on May 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Don’t stay home. Vote third party, and I am NOT talking Losertarian.

bw222 on May 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Maybe we can do a write in campaign all for some working that sends a message.
‘looking for a conservative’?
‘Just say no to amnesty!’?
‘No way to Jose’? too racist? yeah

astonerii on May 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM

magicbeans on May 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Don’t you understand what Jake the Goose and V7_Sport have been telling you. We must elect Chamber of Commerce RINOs so they can team with the Dems to stab us in the back.

bw222 on May 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM