posted at 4:01 pm on May 15, 2014 by Allahpundit

Give Rubio credit for being candid about this. I think some conservatives are under the impression that if Republicans retake the Senate and thereby remove any agenda-setting power from Democratic hands, that’s the end of amnesty until 2017 at the earliest. Nope. The GOP is not going to risk another presidential election without something to show Latino voters on immigration. They’ll risk a midterm because Latinos won’t be a force in November, but they won’t risk it in a high-turnout campaign with the White House on the line.

And look. While it’s true that a Republican-only bill would be better than the Gang of Eight bill, it’s only marginally true. If you think Obama and the Democrats are going to agree to some sort of tough security-only measure without a deal on legalizing illegals too, you’re kidding yourself. They know that the whole point of this effort politically for the GOP is to make nice with Latinos and that the closer we get to 2016, the more desperate Republicans will be. That’s the Democrats’ leverage. If McConnell and Boehner try to pass something that, say, makes legalization conditional upon security improvements, Reid will either filibuster it or Obama will veto it and then McConnell et al. will panic at the possibility that they might not pass something before 2016 after all. That is to say, no matter how much the GOP blathers about border enforcement and security, what they’re really interested in — both for political reasons and to please their masters in the business lobby — is legalization. If they passed a security-only bill and did nothing to amnestize illegals who are here, that might put them in an even worse position with Latinos in 2016. Why on earth would they do that?

“I certainly think we can make progress on immigration particularly on topics like modernizing our legal immigration system, improving our mechanisms for enforcing the law and I think if you did those things you could actually make some progress on addressing those who are illegally,” Rubio said Wednesday evening of the prospects of passing immigration reform in 2015.

He said the Senate next year should pass immigration reform through a series of sequential bills that build upon each other to enact comprehensive reform. This approach would be more palatable in the House, he said…

Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), the lead author of the comprehensive Senate immigration bill, signaled Wednesday that Democrats would not be willing to join in such an effort

He said House Republicans have a narrow window between early June and the August recess to act.

“I am saying that if Speaker [John] Boehner [Ohio], [House Majority] Leader [Eric] Cantor [Va.], and other Republican leaders refuse to schedule a vote on immigration reform during this window, it will not pass until 2017 at the earliest,” he said on the Senate floor Wednesday.

In theory, having Senate Democrats serially filibuster a bunch of smaller, piecemeal GOP immigration bills would let Republicans argue in 2016 that Democrats are now the obstacle to amnesty, not them. In practice, it won’t work that way. Democrats will simply point out that they’re filibustering in the name of getting a better deal for illegals, which is true, and then Obama will issue an executive order before 2016 on immigration to show Latino voters that Democrats are still their bestest friends. They have lots of leverage, even as a Senate minority. Maybe, though, Senate Dems would agree to splitting comprehensive reform into smaller bills purely as a formality, so long as they get a good deal from Republicans on legalization. There’s no risk, after all, that the president’s going to sign a small bill on border security if Democrats agree to it and then veto a bill on legalization; Obama could refuse to sign anything unless and until the legalization bill has passed both houses. Why conservatives should care whether a bad deal is passed comprehensively or piecemeal is beyond me, but it sounds like that’s going to be the next way they try to sell this to the base. “We’re going slow, step by step, even though … we’re going to end up in the same place as the Gang of Eight.”

Anyway, via Breitbart, here’s your would-be GOP nominee wondering why anyone would question the economic dynamism that comes with importing lots of unskilled labor at a time when unemployment in America is already stubbornly high. Skip to 19:30 for the key bit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

LOL, it is fun to watch, and this is about the 23 time in the last two years some sort of “Republicans behind Amnesty Push” story has broken.

Johnnyreb on May 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM

D.C. usually involves years of talking before it gets done. Even O’care took two years to put together and pass. The fact that this is the issue that the GOP keeps gravitating and talking about should convince anyone that they are gonna act eventually.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

On topic, all who’re for amnesty are traitors to the land, from obama to Boehner, to Rubio, to all the D-rats and the DIABLOs.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM

What does DIABLO stand for?

MisterElephant on May 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Stay home.

portlandon on May 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM

SCOTUS is too important.

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Oh good, we don’t need Chuck Schumer after all!
Regular Right Guy

Mornin Mojo on May 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Actually, the better move for the Democrats in my opinion would be to pass a bill with some “border enforcement first” procedures in 2015 in order to get a bill passed with as large of a majority as possible.

Then in 2016, just as GOP leadership is patting themselves on the back for pandering to reaching out to Hispanics, Hillary (or whomever the Democratic nominee is) would come out and say that her first act as President would be to push for a bill removing the border security provisions and allow citizenship for illegals. Any bounce (if any) from Hispanics because of the GOP pushing an amnesty bill would vaporize like water on a hot stove, the conservative base would still be angry at the GOP for passing anything in the first place, and the Republican nominee would be caught completely flat-footed.

Shadow on May 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

When is the last time the GOP took credit for any achievement or criticized Obama for anything or fought for anything?

Case in point: Harry Reid and the left constantly attack the Koch Brothers for their influence. When have you heard the GOP mention George Soros?

bw222 on May 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Yes – well said.

When our side is leaderless – we turn badly on one another – and that’s what the Democrats understand all too well.

The pendulum will swing back – I just hope we can all enjoy each others company when we are winning,

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

SCOTUS is too important.

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Face it….

Obama won…and there is no opposition party to his agenda.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

So what other great things will the GOP do if they get control of the Senate..? Will they pass more of Dear Leader’s pet programs..?

d1carter on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Indeed. And the track record of SCOTUS justices nominated by GOP presidents is sketchy at best. Democrat-nominated ones always are as bad as we expect but they get confirmed anyway, usually with RINO support.

Bitter Clinger on May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Bingo.. Souter, O’Connor, Roberts, Blackmun.. Yeah our track record sucks.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

can_con on May 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yes the Supreme Court . The president still gets to nominate and with
a majority or minority in the senate it won’t make a hill of beans of
difference . Do vote in 2016 , keep the status quo in ’14 and maybe
we’ll have a chance of stopping these jokers on amnesty .

Lucano on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Obama won…and there is no opposition party to his agenda.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Hang in there

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I freely admit – I walk to my own tune – I am no sheep.

That said – I always vote GOP – and I always will.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM

What does DIABLO stand for?

MisterElephant on May 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Dem in all but label only.. I think

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM

You can’t fight shit with shit because shit is not nails (you fight nails with nails).

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I always vote GOP – and I always will.

That, despite those I must call my associate members.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I always have as well…but that’s over.

LilyBart on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM

oops – there was that Perot vote – I apologize

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

What does DIABLO stand for?

MisterElephant on May 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Dem in all but label only.. I think

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Yep

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Just gave me ANOTHER reason to vote dem. And I’m a conservative…

voiceofreason on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

That was wasted. The lil’ man had the right message but was the wrong messenger and brung Billy Clinton.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM

if the gop takes the senate, they won’t repeal obamacare and they’ll come up with an amnesty deal.

why bother?

renalin on May 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I always have as well…but that’s over.

LilyBart on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Well – maybe I should add this – if a better option comes along – I will jump the GOP ship also.

Jeepers – what a tough time we are living through

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Cheerleader Jake, you’ve been a bad girl. Liar!!!!

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I am honored that you follow me so closely.

I freely admit – I walk to my own tune – I am no sheep.

That said – I always vote GOP – and I always will.

That, despite those I must call my associate members.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Looks like that should go to bluegill. BG wrangled that list, Pom Pom girl. You are a phony, a sham.

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Just gave me ANOTHER reason to vote dem. And I’m a conservative…

voiceofreason on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Go bleach your hands then. You should never vote for them, but against them, just so you can live for another day with yourself. They are the latrine rats, the Guinea worms. The DIABLOs are their azz-kissers.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM

You are 100% correct – and honestly, I have to own it – but I am sorry

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM

You’re a good guy jake. Just look deeper into reality. At some point enough is enough.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM

You are a phony, a sham.

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Sorry you feel that way – I wish you well with you battles

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Poor Hispanics have the same motivation for voting as poor blacks – how promises the most “free stuff.” Unless the GOP moves to the left of the Democrats, it will unlikely get more than 10% of the black vote nor 25% of the Hispanic vote. Hispanics who receive amnesty are much more likely to be poor and Democratic voters than the overall Hispanic population.

While Romney got 27% of the Hispanic vote, the Hispanics who are about to receive amnesty are more likely to vote like blacks: 90%+ Democratic.

bw222 on May 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Oops no reason for me to vote then. Good luck riding the Latino vote to victory.

will77jeff on May 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Honestly – I may pivot – I can admit that – just hope I survive the metamorphosis.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I wonder what Hillary will wear to her inauguration…..

SailorMark on May 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Think about it – the GOP is betraying their middle and working class constituents for big campaign contributions.

I’ve talked to my congressman personally – and it didn’t help.

They’re intent on betraying us – and for that – they’ll have to do it without my money and without my vote. Let’s see if they can win without it.

I’m sending my usual congressional campaign contribution to Jeff Sessions this year.

LilyBart on May 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM

LilyBart on May 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Heart felt

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I wonder what Hillary will wear to her inauguration…..

SailorMark on May 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Don’t blame the people who refused to vote for betrayers. Blame the betrayers.

LilyBart on May 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM

That said – I always vote GOP – and I always will.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

I did too…got me Charlie Crist and Rubio..and almost Connie ‘Nazi’ Mack
Sorry..not happening anymore.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Bingo.. Souter, O’Connor, Roberts, Blackmun.. Yeah our track record sucks.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

You forgot Warren (the one who fostered judicial activism) and Brennan (both Ike appointees).

bw222 on May 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I did too…got me Charlie Crist and Rubio..and almost Connie ‘Nazi’ Mack
Sorry..not happening anymore.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Yipes – I have no reply

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM

GOP senators: We’ll pass immigration reform next year if we take back the Senate…

So anyone who doesn’t want the American nation genocided by mass non-white immigration and forced assimilation needs to do whatever they can to stop the GOP from taking back the Senate.

I “love” Rubio’s justification that this is what he “came here to do”. Like all the other immigration sellouts, he ran for office as an immigration patriot, and reversed himself after the votes were certified. The only way this could be what he “came here to do” is if he was lying to his supporters from his first days in politics. And he’s proud of that.

The Party of Rubio is not a party worth supporting.

David Blue on May 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Supremes , hell can you imagine how generous McLame will feel
if the GOP takes the senate . He’ll give o a …. … along with his
court nominees .

Lucano on May 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Dem in all but label only.. I think

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Yep

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Thanks!

MisterElephant on May 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Bingo.. Souter, O’Connor, Roberts, Blackmun.. Yeah our track record sucks.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM

bw222 on May 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM

And also Kennedy and Stevens.

Bitter Clinger on May 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Don’t blame the people who refused to vote for betrayers. Blame the betrayers.

LilyBart on May 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Oh, I do! They’re whores and I’m sick of them. Just feeling resigned. Both parties now want amnesty. Where to turn?

SailorMark on May 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I did too…got me Charlie Crist and Rubio..and almost Connie ‘Nazi’ Mack
Sorry..not happening anymore.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Yipes – I have no reply

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM

That’s what sheep like you force us to support with your, “but he’s GOP we have to vote for him”, cheerleader Jake.

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Oh rubbish. You have no power here. Be gone before somebody drops a House on you.

Jaibones on May 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I feel bad for you – you cannot imagine that anyone carries any variation of your own opinions.

Must be a fun home you live inside. Relax – I am not attacking you.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Fight – or quit – but quit bitching like a bunch of little children.
jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM

At this point, I figure I might as well quit.
I don’t care whether it’s a political CYA move – which means they’re lying, or whether they really do want to pass immigration reform/amnesty – which means they’re giving in to the left.
This basically says the GOPe is no different from the Dems, and no longer worth supporting.
They’re basically saying they don’t want the conservative base on their side – and they don’t give a dam what we think or want.

I’ve got a demotivational poster on my computer that pretty well sums it up:
“Winners never quit and quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots.”

dentarthurdent on May 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM

…or they could consider enforcement of existing laws!11!!

Nah, moar laws to ignore is the answer

mickytx on May 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM

SCOTUS is too important.

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

When is the last time the Republicans every stopped a liberal from gaining a court seat? They pretty much rubber stamp anyone who has a heart beat and the tiniest bit of judicial background.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

The GOP is not going to risk another presidential election without something to show Latino voters on immigration. They’ll risk a midterm because Latinos won’t be a force in November, but they won’t risk it in a high-turnout campaign with the White House on the line. – Allahpundit

I call BS. They’re not doing this for the political demographics, they’re doing it for the corporate support.

Unless of course you or anyone else can produce any credible polling data that even remotely suggests that there is any political gain for the GOP among Hispanics with this ploy.

Augustinian on May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

David Blue on May 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Rubio flat out lied . That hair shirt I will wear forever .

Lucano on May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Eff these two Idiots in the pic…time for some Good Ol
Rock N Roll…anybody Like Chuck Berry??

He’s the one who could Play a Guitar, just like a Ringin a bell.

here’s a nice Kick Azz performance to wrap up the afternoon.

ToddPA on May 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Very true. And, remembering back to the 1986 amnesty, 2.7 million illegals received amnesty and none of the enforcement provisions were put into effect.

As a member of the House, UpChuck Schumer was one of the biggest liars (claimed there were no more than 300k illegals in the country) and did everything possible to block enforcement.

UpChuck is still around and if you think anything will be different today, you’re crazy. If the GOP passes amnesty, it will be the final insult to the base and time to get serious about a real third party (actually a replacement for the GOP).

bw222 on May 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Yeah, go on laughing dimwits. Hope you enjoy your retirement.

crankyoldlady on May 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM

bw222 on May 15, 2014 at 5:02 PM

2.7 million out of an estimated 1 million got Amnesty. Should be interesting to see how many 11 million will get us… 28 million? Then the chain migration begins.
In the end you can count on between 10 and 20 net new Democrat voters to be created from nothing. If Amnesty passes no third party will do any good. There will be enough regressive voters to keep both the Democrats, majority and Republicans permanent minority in power for the rest of any newborn’s natural remaining life.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Must be a fun home you live inside. Relax – I am not attacking you.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Your reputation proceeds you. You can play Pollyanna today, but two months ago, those of us concerned with the GOP foisting amnesty on us, why, you called us amnesty freaks. I do believe you are a sheep and you know what happens to sheep, well, you know. You will always vote GOP regardless of what they make you swallow.

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM

SCOTUS is too important.

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Pretty much. And the nominations to the court seem to have a 25-50% chance of being a turncoat the moment they get to the benches.

SCOTUS kept Obamacare the “law of the land” by illegally interpreting the meaning of the mandate because of an idiotic and traitorous notion of “prestige.”

And then the bastard Roberts runs off to Malta to go teach students how to be cowards and fools like him.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

The fact that they’re pushing to get this amnesty with doubled legal immigration tacked on is what convinced me their serious about getting amnesty passed soon.

That and who has joined them in pushing for that doubled legal immigration while 20 million Americans are unemployed or chronically and acutely underemployed.

Ted Cruz on immigration at Tribune Fest 2013

and in print if you prefer: On Immigration Cruz Aims For Middle Ground This article ran 12 days before the big ‘shut down’ filibuster.

As you can see and hear, Cruz supports green cards all around, no deportations, and doubling legal immigration.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

They will…it is only a matter of time.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Yep, the Republicans are slammed for having even the PERCEPTION of a litmus test.

All while the Dims get to BORK every (R) nominee that comes up the hill.

When are we as Conservatives going to get a party with some BALLS?

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Nice reply – thoughtful and full of conviction.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Thx J. I know you have tried to warn before
but some just won’t take their blinders off.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Exactly! I’m not sure why Ted Cruz seems to get a free pass on this. It’s not just the “establishment” who are willing to pass some form of “amnesty”.

cdog0613 on May 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

They will…it is only a matter of time.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Then they will cease to be a party. A huge section of the base is going to desert this pathetic excuse for a party.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Rubio flat out lied . That hair shirt I will wear forever .

Lucano on May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

No. He should wear that hair shirt forever.

The mass immigration politicians are so guilty there are no polite and useful words.

David Blue on May 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Johnnyreb on May 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

The difference being that in the case of Republicans, particularly Boehner and McConnell, it has always been a LIE.

EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Another common factor is an AP post on each one, each time projecting the future which, coincidentally, has NEVER come to pass.

So the question you have to ask yourself, punk, is whether AP is lying or just a complete idiot?

Do you feel lucky?

Adjoran on May 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Do you feel lucky?

Adjoran on May 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM

That’s an interesting observation.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Do you not agree that they will pull the trigger at some point?
And I agree with you.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I don’t think conservatives would object if we knew they were going to do it right. First seal the border. If they don’t do that first I won’t vote for them. We know the marxists won’t enforce any laws but at least there would be something to hold the Republicans to. If they don’t do it right there will be a new party. I don’t think they understand how deep the anger is out here in the real world.

crankyoldlady on May 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Thanks, B9. :)

I’m just trying to do my best to let people know where the political class really stands.

I think the GOP has decided that if all of them march, lock step, to amnesty, we’ll all have to ‘get over it’ eventually and vote for them anyway. They think that we’ll be so fired up over a Clinton presidential run that we’ll turn out for them no matter what they do in the meantime just to ‘beat the other guy’.

Their attitude right now seems to be sneering at the base saying “Where else you going to go, sucker?”

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM

First seal the border. If they don’t do that first I won’t vote for them.

5100+ land miles – physically impossible – but a common complaint.

I don’t think they understand how deep the anger is out here in the real world.

crankyoldlady on May 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I think you are right about that.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM

A lot of truth in that statement

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM

When are we as Conservatives going to get a party with some BALLS?

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM

After we expel people like jake the Goose and V7_Sport for being the regressives they are.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Tea Party folks made an error back in 2010 thinking they had to work through an established party. As history has shown, again and again, the party will end up using you. Our brothers and sisters in the UK had the better idea: form UKIP.

will77jeff on May 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM

There won’t be any amnesty if Jeff Sessions is majority leader. He’s been on conservative s side all along on this issue.

cat_owner on May 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Well then getting back the Senate will be the last good thing that ever happens to the GOP.

Pass anything even close to legalization and it’s going to be party time.

Third that is.

lynncgb on May 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM

That’s not nice – I defend lunatics like you being in the GOP.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM

That’s not nice – I defend lunatics like you being in the GOP.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I actually hold conservative values. You just simply say you do and then do everything in your power to ensure that people who are not conservatives are granted power.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM

You’re no conservative

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:23 PM

First they are depending on the current House leadership to be able to get something in the House.

This means that Boehner as House Speaker and Cantor as his #2. Right now Boehner is making noises about not getting through another term and Cantor is in a nasty primary where money isn’t helping him all that much. Counting on the House playing ball with a few other old timers leaving is iffy at best if you are in the Senate thinking ‘now is the time!’

Pushing anything through just after the election faces some chance of a filibuster in the Senate and Boehner thinking he can make it his last hurrah… yet if he couldn’t do that with the freshness of the Schumer-Rubio-McCain alliance at his back there is little chance that he could get anything through post election.

At this point the House Leadership has lots of question marks by it.

In the Senate if this little ‘we’ll do Amnesty!’ kills one or two races, then McConnell, Rubio, Grassley and a few other will have egg on their face. Why would anyone vote for a caucus leader who can’t actually get an electable message out? That is not a leader but a boat anchor that needs to be cut.

If the R’s get the majority they may find that their ability to do minor stuff is thwarted by D’s on partisanship, and then, when they go for the comprehensive ring in late 2015, that there will be a break-up on the R side and that the D side isn’t as lock-solid in support as everyone thinks they will be… because they aren’t that lock-solid now. If this was supposed to be a winning issue and they haven’t won on it, then why support it? Plus, if you nix it, then you can keep on pulling the amnesty carrot before the D base one more time and hope it gets some voters out in 2016. On the R side a few Tea Partiers sticking to the ideals will mean finding strange bedfellow filibusters going on…you might even find a D or two seriously thinking about disrupting the party because their own party’s messaging has been sucking at poll numbers.

Basically it is the Stupid Party Elite being unable to keep their mouths shut. Thus being Stupid.

Right now the great hope of breaking up the two parties is Stupidity aided by Duplicity until they all mangle themselves into unelectability. And those two items the Party Elites have loads of to use.

ajacksonian on May 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Good point. I mean it’s not like alienating a huge chunk of their own base will cost the GOP the White House in 2016.

Doughboy on May 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM

They’re banking on the idea that their base will ultimately not go elsewhere because, hey, a moderate squishy GOP president is way better than a Democrat president.

And they’re probably right.

That’s certainly what the masses come out to argue here anytime someone suggests not voting for the GOP nominee in any election.

Shump on May 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Whigs. They will surely drown in their own shit then.

Bmore on May 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM

A lot of truth in that statement

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Just to be clear, this is a fatal miscalculation on the part of the GOP. The base has many options. We can vote for anyone we choose, we can choose to stay home, we can write in a candidate or candidates of our choosing, or we can even put our cash, effort and talents behind building a third party.

This is about far more than whether 11 million or so illegal aliens are granted amnesty by a political class that takes the electorate for granted.

This is about the rule of law and whether citizens hold the real power in this nation or are ruled by a political class. Whether our politicians are our representatives in congress by proxy or whether they rule us.

Losing an election or even a few elections is a small price to pay to remain relatively free.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

5100+ land miles – physically impossible – but a common complaint.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

meh, the great wall of china is 5500 miles.

The southern border is 1900+ miles. We’ve got 650 miles already fenced. Not an insurmountable task. Heck we can even use illegal labor to keep the cost down.

If/when the northern border becomes the access point we can worry about that then.

HumpBot Salvation on May 15, 2014 at 5:29 PM

If McConnell and Boehner try to pass something that, say, makes legalization conditional upon security improvements, Reid will either filibuster it or Obama will veto it…

Then they would have given the GOP the fig leaf of cover they need to tell Latinos, “hey, we tried – but the Democrats hate you…”

This is bullshit; if the GOP truly thinks they *must* do this or Latinos won’t vote for them, well, then the GOP is already beyond saving. They will do this – *AND* the result will be an end to any hope of the GOP *EVER* winning national election again.

So either way, well… f*ck you, GOP. Go on, die a gruesome, self-inflicted death, you bastards.

Midas on May 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Hear Hear !

Lucano on May 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Oh be serious. What are you Svengali? sniff sniff Leave Jake alone.

rhombus on May 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM

… but well beyond the GOP simply committing suicide here, they are going to destroy the country in the process. Not only are they eagerly working to sign up millions of new reliable Democrat voters (God, the DNC must be simply unable to believe their luck at having such a catastrophically stupid group of opponents), but the vast majority of those new citizens will be a net drain on an already dying economy.

Brilliant. F*cking brilliant.

Midas on May 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM

And they’re probably right.

Shump on May 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Of course they’re right, just ask President’s McCain and Romney.

Midas on May 15, 2014 at 5:34 PM

5100+ land miles – physically impossible – but a common complaint.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

The place to stop it is at the borders. That keeps us from having to have a police state inside the borders. If need be, I have absolutely no problem starting a war with Mexico to take a 50 mile wide stretch of land and kick every last one of them onto the other side and then make that 50 miles an effective dead man zone where if you are not on the highway you are considered an invader. If Canada later on thinks to make their border similar to the Mexican one, they can look to what we did to Mexico and think much harder on it. Right now very few illegals use the Canadian border since Canada is not a hell hole.

astonerii on May 15, 2014 at 5:34 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I took an excerpt – but your entire post was pretty well thought out – and I appreciate that you posted in reply to my post.

Thank you for that.

Every debate we have is dependent upon everyone holding true to their values and fighting for that they believe in.

I happen to think that a lot of this amnesty noise out of Washington – is CYA bull_hit.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM

If efforts to court Latino’s into the Rep fold are… useless.

What is the point of supporting a Bill or Law that only benefits said demographic that won’t support the GOP?

May I suggest getting Latinos, who actually support tougher immigration laws, to push legislation within their communities and/or fund their efforts.

The biggest problem Republicans have is funding the right “growth” causes. Too much money is spent on tried and true Republican issues, with little being earmarked for actual target-based issues.

American politics have always been a dirty business with at least 2 party’s opposing each other, yet laws and a functioning gov get done. The notion “we don’t have an absolute majority and can’t get anything passed” is a losing philosophy. I don’t care how childish the opposing party is or acts.

Odie1941 on May 15, 2014 at 5:38 PM

The GOP, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, yet again !

Don’t mind immigration “reform” as long as it doesn’t involve amnesty.

How about, “We’ll secure our borders?”

stenwin77 on May 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM

What’s with “The Honorable Jeb Bush” crap? He is a private citizen. He is a former government employee. He is not titled or entitled. At least he is not supposed to be. I guess he is part of the ruling class.

GaltBlvnAtty on May 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM

5100+ land miles – physically impossible – but a common complaint.

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

What else do we have an army for? Militarize the southern border. Mine fields, gun towers and razor wire. Easy-peazy.

Exactly how every other country in the world would do when faced with a bordering nation that is trying to invade it.

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Augustinian on May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Agreed. They’re not doing it because they think the new voters will vote for them – they *know* their minting shiny new Democrat voters (even McCain is on record sayin so).

Yet, they want it anyway. Why? Because they’re being *paid* (CoC and perhaps others) to do so. Nothing more.

Midas on May 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Gotta go to work.

Tip of the day:

JC Penney
Verizon

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

When Democrats heard Obama was against gay marriage, they knew it for BS.

rhombus on May 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Meople on May 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM

This.

It’s like the US military is being tasked with defending every border in the world except the one border that it has a supreme duty to defend: America’s border.

Set priorities, give clear orders, and let’s see how “impossible” it is for the most powerful military the world has ever seen to defend its nation’s border.

David Blue on May 15, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Do you not agree that they will pull the trigger at some point?
And I agree with you.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Yes I think they will. I don’t think they will have the balls to do it before the midterms, Boehner is too much of a coward and Cantor may very well lose his primary election.

The scope of an eventual bill may depend on how much they think they can get away with. With some people that post on here on a daily basis, the GOP could piss on their face on live television, tell them its raining and these people would believe it and ask for more because “the democrats are worse.”

We seem to be following England but at lightspeed. Everything they have done, we are doing or are getting freaking close to doing.

They have had unfettered immigration for years since Tony Blair of the Labour party and his opening of their borders in 2004 to the rest of the EU. The Tories/Conservative party is currently ruling the country, and like the Republicans, just wants to manage the decline.

The UKIP, a third party is surging in popularity because it takes a hardline against immigration that the two leading parties are supporting. And of course, they are called racists because they don’t want extinction of their national identity. Nearly 8-10 million foreign born individuals live in the UK (officially and we all know how these are almost always underestimated). It is a country of 54 million people!

Unfettered immigration costs jobs, depresses wages on the middle and poorer classes, increases crime, and gets socialists elected. It happens in Europe, it will happen and is happening here.

And the current GOP leadership and its disproportionately represented moderate wing wants more of it.

If it wants to be destroyed, it can go ahead and give more and more amnesties. There will be a hard split and the GOPe will be left with only its small base of supporters, all twenty of them + DC.

NWConservative on May 15, 2014 at 5:50 PM