Coming soon: The Michael Sam reality show

posted at 6:41 pm on May 15, 2014 by Allahpundit

When he came out, he told the NYT, “I know this is a huge deal and I know how important this is. But my role as of right now is to train for the combine and play in the N.F.L.”

And, he forgot to mention, become a reality-show star for Oprah.

“We are honored that Michael is trusting us with his private journey in this moment that has not only made history but will shape it forever,” Winfrey said in a statement. “I am proud of the focus on authentic storytelling in our new documentary series format. The next real-life story we follow in The Untitled Michael Sam Project promises to spark valuable, important discussion on life in America today. Acceptance and illumination start here.”

Sam added: “Like every player out there working to make a team right now, my focus is on playing football to the very best of my ability. I am determined. And if seeing my story helps somebody else accept who they are and to go for their dreams too, that’s great. I am thankful to Oprah for her support and excited to work together.”

Baffling, although you can anticipate his defenses before you criticize him. One of them’s right there in the excerpt — he’s doing this, he says, as an inspiration to others, more of a PSA to empower gays than a means of self-promotion. Why kicking ass on the field and doing the occasional interview isn’t sufficient inspiration is unclear, but no one’s going to win a “you’re overdoing it” argument with a guy who’s doing something in pro sports that no one’s done before. Self-promotion will be treated as promotion for the cause of gay rights, with no exceptions.

Another obvious defense: Plenty of straight pro athletes participate in reality shows, so why hold Sam to a double standard? He can’t let viewers play voyeur but Lamar Odom can spend years orbiting the Kardashian freak show on camera without much static? The answer to that one, of course, is that normalization is a priority for Sam in a way that it isn’t for any other pro athlete. Part of the reason he came out, presumably, was to show that gays are just like everyone else, even when “everyone else” is composed of world-class athletes in America’s most macho sport. I expected him to keep a low profile in the league at first and take a strict “judge me for what I do on the field” attitude to make that point clear — but then, it’s stupid for anyone to set expectations for a guy who’s defied them already in such a dramatic way. What you’re seeing here really is tension between two different strategies for majority acceptance of minorities, the “we’re just like you” approach versus the “we’re different and you should respect that” approach. Historically, the former usually comes first and evolves over time towards the latter, but the reality show makes me think that Sam’s already moving towards the second one. It may not work out that way — the show may end up being all about how similar his off-field life is to the average straight fan’s, which would be more like the first approach — but it’ll be hard to escape that conclusion given that the reason he has a show before playing so much as a down in the NFL is because he’s different.

But maybe I’m misjudging. Maybe, after 10 years of Americans liberalizing on gay marriage, most of the country has already internalized the “we’re just like you” message from gays and therefore Sam can proceed directly to “I’m different and that’s okay.” And hey — as a seventh-round pick who’s unlikely to see much playing time, it’s probably in his interest to build his public profile around his celebrity rather than his on-field activity. Sam the player is unlikely to be remembered but Sam the trailblazer is safely famous forever.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

O he gay.

Murphy9 on May 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Or….”Butt Cheeks & the Man”

metprof on May 15, 2014 at 6:44 PM

N.F.L.

Who else writes it that way besides the New York Times?

steebo77 on May 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM

“I cant wait for the day when I’m looked at as a football player and not a gay football player… except when I’m sucking face with my boyfriend on TV and doing reality shows about being a gay football player…”

swamp_yankee on May 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Dude you’re 15 minutes are up….

cmsinaz on May 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Sadly, Sam *will* be remembered more for being Gay than being a decent athlete.

I give him credit though: Even as a 7th round pick, he’s following the dream a lot of armchair players, college and even HS athletes aspire to; the Big Show that is the NFL.

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

It’s not about football or sport or athletics.

At first I wondered how he felt about others defining him by his sexuality. With this I see he defines himself by his sexuality, nothing else. Everything else it secondary.

What a small, small man.

I’m just curious to what extent he’ll blame homophobia when he’s finally cut. He’s the kind of guy to not take responsibility. He’ll blame the system and rampant homophobia for his lack of talent.

We know it’s coming. Just wonder to what extent it’ll manifest itself…

catmman on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM

your

cmsinaz on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Quarterback Mountain.
Why does he need a show? What makes him so special? The #1 pick didn’t get a show.

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Whatever.

I hope he does well for himself

I hope the Rams survive unscathed

I hope Oprah,,,, no – I better stop

jake-the-goose on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM

We know it’s coming. Just wonder to what extent it’ll manifest itself…

catmman on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM

this
or the lsm will blame it for him…

cmsinaz on May 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM

A desperate Oprah???

cmsinaz on May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

He’s gay? Boy..I didn’t hear anything about that. Why wasn’t it covered in the press?

(I said “Boy”?…whats the matter with me? I never knew I was a bully and a ho-mophobe.)

Mimzey on May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Why AP doth bestride the interwebs like a colossus.

de rigueur on May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Another program I will forget to watch.

docflash on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I have a lot of questions about this one!!

What did the Rams know and when did they know it?

If they did not know prior to drafting Sams, how will this impact his relationship with the team?

Will they have locker room and on-the-field coverage?

lineholder on May 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

You’ll have to ask his boyfriend.

squint on May 15, 2014 at 6:52 PM

N.F.L.

Who else writes it that way besides the New York Times?

steebo77 on May 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM

The Crimson, maybe?

de rigueur on May 15, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I know he’s a defensive player by trade, but did they also evaluate his ball handling abilities?

catmman on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I agree with Dennis Miller: can we have a BREAK from all this gay? Some time-out?

And, this:

Sadly, Sam *will* be remembered more for being Gay than being a decent athlete.

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

He already IS remembered and known for being gay and nothing else. Oh, and because Obama called him on the telephone to “congratulate” him for the-gay, took time out from not doing his job to call Sam but he couldn’t be bothered to even let on where he was when four Americans were losing their lives in Benghazi…

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Allahpundit, the fact that you used Lamar Odom as some kind standard tells me your not really a big sports fan.

swamp_yankee on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

OMG, can we please choose a different picure.. His teeth drive me crazy..

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM

And by the photo of Sam featured on the main page here, I am *sure* Sam is gay. No question. Not one doubt about it.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Does the guy yelling get your hot wieners in the stands distract him?

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

A desperate Oprah???

cmsinaz on May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

OWN is already in the toilet..this should help! /

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Even if you take away Benghazi… The Eagles drafted an Army Ranger who was a Bronze Medal (with V) recipient. Why does Sam warrant press and a call, but not the guy who distinguished himself on and OFF the field?

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

This is shoveling cash to Sam while Oprah throws him a lifeline to bridge the gap when he gets cut from the Rams because he’s too slow for offense and too small for defense.

This is also exactly why the Rams are going to regret signing him. He’s a distraction and it’s not fair to the other players to have to deal with the sideshow while they’re in camp.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

OWN is already in the toilet..this should help! /

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

C’mon baz, Fix My Life Iyanla is riveting television.. :)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM

swamp_yankee on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Sam isn’t, either, from his skills. It looks more like he’s a deal at this moment because he’s gay. Not because: sports.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Comes out of the closet
Put up on a pedestal by the media
Gets drafted even though he’s a sub par player who had one good year when it was a down year defensively for the SEC
Gets a reality TV show from Oprah
“OMG HES A HERO OVERCOMING OPPRESSION”

Meanwhile, the Eagles signed Alejandro Villanueva. Alejandro is a real hero who graduated from West Point, became a US Army Ranger, served a couple tours in Afghanistan, and earns a Bronze Star with V device.

What do we hear from ESPN? Crickets.

Lay-Z on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

catmman on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

The jokes just write themselves.. I think football was a little gay before Sam.. LMAO!

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM

whew- I have excellent teeth. (;

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Danica Patrick now has a competitor for the “least talented athlete with the most overexposure” title.

Mark1971 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM

whew- I have excellent teeth. (;

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

He he.. Teeth and noses are my kryptonite.. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

The NFL is getting played. And this constant onslaught of all things. The NFL is likely to corrode its core audience. If an American starts tearing it up in the EPL the NFL will rue the day.

Theworldisnotenough on May 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I would have thought this would be against the terms of his contract. The life of an NFL draftee is grueling and he’s not likely to have much free time to mug for the camera. And he certainly can’t afford the distraction.

S. Weasel on May 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

In many ways, this is Obama’s story too“.

aquaviva on May 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

What do we hear from ESPN? Crickets.

Lay-Z on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

This a hundred times this ^^^^^

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Like I commented earlier, it’s because he’s gay. It’s the gay-obsession by the Left. Gay, gay, gay, that’s their deal today and everyone else is being listed to get a ride to some re-education camp after they’re investigated with a laser-like focus.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Make the team first. Play a season then you can have a show.

rbj on May 15, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Here is the other thing though, and this makes doing a series like this, especially for OWN instead of ESPN or NFL sports: If he turns out not to be able to handle being on a Pro-Football team and is cut, will he blame his game-play OR claim that it was because of his lifestyle?

Even at that level, not everyone can sustain the pace of being a professional sports player…

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Oh, hey, speaking of ‘gay,’ Jodie Foster now has a wife.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 6:55 PM

C’mon baz, Fix My Life Iyanla is riveting television.. :)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM

LOL- Damn..I’m missing that? *runs to DVR*

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

His, umm, position kind of ruined the former but guarantees the latter.

HotAirian on May 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM

And his first sponsor will be skittles with the motto “taste the rainbow”. Maybe they should name the show Lean Way Forward.

neyney on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

So much for the cries of “Allahpundit pushes teh ghey agenda” that regularly show up.

Ouch.

For the most part I do agree with our AP…the whole reality show thing, which has been taping for weeks, seems dubious that we’re just now hearing about it. I’d certainly like to see some questions answered over whether or not the NFL had been notified of it before the draft.

No doubt Sam is under a lot of pressure…not only to perform as a player in the NFL now, but he’s a de facto spokesman for gays in sports…be it college or pro. He’s not the first or only college sports player to be out…nor is he the only payer in pro sports to do so. But he’s the first in the NFL…he knows his every move, in his professional career and his private life (which he’s pretty much invited that one in himself with this show) and he’s going to be under the microscope from every angle.

I really do hope all his dreams and aspirations come true for him. And that he knows what he’s getting himself into. If nobody really cared about his sexuality, we wouldn’t be having these discussions about it. The truth is, who cares if he’s gay? No one should…not him, not his family and friends…not Rams fans or football junkies.

Unfortunately, it will be an issue…and not always a geed one…for the immediate future. Let’s see how it all plays out. Frankly I’m going through enough emotional highs and lows (more lows than highs) over my Jets that come September, I’ll be more concerned with another Michael…an actual disgusting human being and I ain’t happy about him wearing the hallowed green and white.

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM

That’s obvious.

But Odom is a complete mess and that show just made him a more complete mess.

Using Odom as a benchmark is kind of like using Dennis Rodman. Its like saying, hey Sam should be a goodwill ambassador to Russia, look Dennis Rodman did the same in North Korea.

swamp_yankee on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Sadly, Sam *will* be remembered more for being Gay than being a decent athlete.

Not unlike The Messiah being remembered as ‘first’ rather than competent.

socalcon on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Who’s gonna watch it? Not even Jetboy’s a Rams’ fan. Well, you know what I mean.

Fallon on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

…If he turns out not to be able to handle being on a Pro-Football team and is cut, will he blame his game-play OR claim that it was because of his lifestyle?…

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Yes to both.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Natural Blues.

Murphy9 on May 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM

So…… Other than the gay thing, what makes Sam’s life worth exploring through scripted interactions on a failing basic cable network? It only proves my point all along that NFL teams were not homophobic they didn’t want to deal with the drama queen and the media circus that came with just getting a shot at joining the league.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Is Oprah doing a series on Tim Tebow too?

Sven on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Oh, didn’t see you there, Jetboy. :-)

Fallon on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

lol!!! this is way too funny.

one comment over on the article is:

I just went from a huge fan of this guy to not giving a s*** if he makes it in the NFL or not. Spin this any way you want but it’s just self promotion and that’s cheap.

and most of the other comments do not like this move either.

this is the problem with the pro-gay movement. they are trying to promote two different things at once. on one hand, they are “normal” and “just like everybody else.” but on the other, they want special attention and recognition and campaigns and flags and everything.

and, on one hand, they say “just relax and let everyone love who they love, it doesn’t hurt anyone. it doesn’t affect you.” on the other hand, they say “you HAVE to agree with us or else you’re a hateful, bigoted person who should be punished.”

although i will say, not every gay person does these two contradicting things. it’s just that the loudest ones do and they make their own side look bad.

i dislike when gay people make their sexuality the #1 most important thing about themselves. i don’t make my sexuality the #1 most important thing about myself. there’s a lot more to me than the fact that i’m straight. that’s just one of many sides of me. so i like the gay people who show all sides of their personality instead of just that one part over and over again.

Sachiko on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Terrible choice by Sam. His greatest worry, if he really seeks to be integrated into the team, ought to be excessive pressure, attention, and overexposure.

For the record, I also heap scorn on the professional athletes in the Kardashian freak show orbit.

I was actually much more in Sam’s corner than most of the folks here, until this. I guess I gave him too much the benefit of the doubt. But then, I’m older and I think reality shows are inherently narcissistic and degrading.

Chuckles3 on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

That’s the irony. Really, nobody does care. Except for political and now crass commercial purposes.

Or perhaps that what you meant.

de rigueur on May 15, 2014 at 7:06 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I think most here probably have gay friends or family, so it’s like who fvcking cares. It’s the ramming it in our face that annoys most and then there’s oprah, that fat racist gave us Obama, so she can shove off for all I care. I too am more concerned with Michael Vick not being shamed to the point of suicide everywhere he goes, though if would be much more fun killing him slowly.

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Yes to both.

Lourdes on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Most likely: but the problem will escalate because even if he shows restraint, you know the militant Progressives will rend their own garments in front of every football stadium in the US claiming bias.

And with the DOJ being what it has been the last 5-6 years, wanna guess the over/under before Holder and Co. dispatch layers of lawyers to whip the Commissioner and the Franchise owners into “Concessions” (shakedowns)?

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Gay agenda, rainbows and glitter, rainbows and glitter, azz chaps, azz chaps, Pruis…

(Sung in my head to Adam Sandler’s Lunch Lady Hoagies and Grinders part.. )

Sorry Tequila makes me funny..

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Wait a minute. This guy’s doing something in pro sports?
For that to be true, would he have to make a pro-sport team? and be on that team when at least one game was played?

Let me know if that ever happens. I see reality TV and MSNBC hosting in his future.

Lolo on May 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Fallon on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Oh, didn’t see you there, Jetboy. :-)

Fallon on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Yeah, yeah…

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Mimzey on May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

You get bonus racism points, too, for using “Boy” while discussing a fully grown black guy. Well done!

The NFL now needs an openly gay running back so we can joke about ball handling and hitting the hole.

JimLennon on May 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM

(Sung in my head to Adam Sandler’s Lunch Lady Hoagies and Grinders part.. )

Sorry Tequila makes me funny..

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Ooooh…this is gonna be fun :)

*grabs popcorn*

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Maybe Sam’s just using Oprah’s reality show as a stepping stone on his way to a new career as a film critic.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Make the team first. Play a season then you can have a show.

rbj on May 15, 2014 at 6:59 PM

That didn’t stop the Nobel Prize committee from awarding Teh Won after being drafted for the presidency. He, of course being black and first to occupy the WH, was more than enough to make such a lofty award a no-brainer.

His gheyness however, wasn’t widely known about till later. Well, there’s still time for more awards for that.

Harbingeing on May 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM

If he sacks the quarterback will someone be jealous?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM

He’s soooo brave.

Murphy9 on May 15, 2014 at 7:15 PM

The St Louis Rammed? Rams and Ewes? Ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong? Huh?

vnvet on May 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM

whew- I have excellent teeth. (;

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

He he.. Teeth and noses are my kryptonite.. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

My first thought when I see that picture is that I hope he takes some of that money and fixes his teeth. Shallow, I know, but like you melle, teeth are my kryptonite…

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I wish him luck in his play, but this makes it extremely tough on the Rams if he doesn’t make the cut. There will be extreme pressure to make it work out.

Southernblogger on May 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I know, the poor guy is lucky he is good on the field, because gay or straight those teeth are a deal breaker..

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Rome was mild and lasted way longer.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM

The Rams and the NFL deserve this distraction now..I read that his boyfriend is one of the producers on the show..wow, what a coincidence

sadsushi on May 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Do you have a throwaway email addy? If not, can you email me at omahaconservative@yahoo.com
LM wants to get in touch with you…

OmahaConservative on May 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Actually, I don’t care if he’s gay, just like I don’t care about gays in the military (my son, who is in the military, doesn’t care, so why should I?), but obviously Sam does care.

And he has set himself up to be the poster child. If he is cut, will it be because he’s gay or his lack of skill? If he is not cut, will it be because he’s gay or has skill?

How can anyone judge him on his merit now?

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM

He isn’t going to make it to the end of his contract. He will get the obligatory “The First Openly Gay NFL Player on the Field” game or two but after that, it’s the bench for him.

This isn’t about him as a Football Player now, he and Orca the Killer Winfrey have made it about they gays. 7th Round Draft Pick Players generally don’t finish their initial contracts.

I predict a lawsuit for discrimination.

Johnnyreb on May 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Chuckles3 on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

His only priority right now should be proving that he is good enough to make the cut on the Rams roster. He says the right things “my focus is on playing football to the very best of my ability” but that doesn’t synch with the idea that he wants to share “his story.”

How is it going to sit with his potential teammates when the drama queen shows up with a media circus? That was going to happen anyway but this show makes it that much worse.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Quarterback Mountain.

TinFin on May 15, 2014 at 6:47 PM

The #1 pick doesn’t need a show, he will get a huge signing bonus, Sam will get the NFL minimum.

RickB on May 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Celebrating and glorifying a sexual dysfunction that is obsessed with the abuse of the human sewer-hole.

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” – G.K.Chesterton

Augustinian on May 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Just to re-hash this morning’s thread, the problem for Sam is he’s a seventh-round draft choice getting far more attention than your average seventh round pick because of his notoriety. The risk for him down the road as much with his teammates as with the fans is if they see the Oprahpalooza reality show as Sam and his handlers’ attempt to put Michael’s own self-aggrandizement ahead of what’s best for the team, which could easily go 8-8 in the NFC West this coming season and still finish behind Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona.

The worst possible situation for him is to be over-hyped all the way through training camp, make the team in the final cutdown over some other defensive line player, and then see the Rams’ D-line go out and underperform their (very good) numbers from 2013. That would have fans and possibly even teammantes irked at Sam, not because he’s gay, but because he’s a diva in the Terrell Owens/Chad Ochocinco Johnson mode.

jon1979 on May 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Mark1971 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I’ll say this for her, you don’t ever see her kissing a girl…

And if you do please send me a link.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM

so it’ll be just like most other primetime shows on ABC

DanMan on May 15, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Rome was mild and lasted way longer.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM

They didn’t have reality tv only indoor plumbing.

RickB on May 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Michael Sam can have his own show, all about him.

Jason and David Benham can’t have a show, about helping others.

WTF has happened to our society? I barely recognize the place anymore.

novaculus on May 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Okay, I am probably a little tipsy, but here is the deal:

Sam likes boys.. Sam likes money.. Sam liking boys helps Sam liking money.. Sam cashes in. Reality television is a guarantee, NFL life is not. Sam is mercenary.. Sam is not a poster boy for gayness or the modern civil rights movement.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:26 PM

7th Round Draft Pick Players generally don’t finish their initial contracts.

I predict a lawsuit for discrimination.

Johnnyreb on May 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Except that the NFL’s newest diva thinks he is a third round draft pick; unfairly sidelined until the 7th because of homophobia.

I’d suggest that the long history of Mizzou players in the Football Hall of Fame does more to suggest Sam’s chances than the willingness for a fat bitter racist to give him a reality show.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM

And if you do please send me a link.

V7_Sport on May 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Be happy to!

Just remember, I accept Visa, Mastercard, AmEx & bitCoin…

BlaxPac on May 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM

or maybe hes a 7th string whiny homo that needs to keep his name in the news to prevent him from getting fired due to his talents.

dmacleo on May 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Southernblogger on May 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Wonder if that was the idea?

Irritable Pundit on May 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Mark1971 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I think you’re forgetting Ryan Lochte. Remember his reality show on E! ? Neither does anybody else.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM

jon1979 on May 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Sometimes words fail me… Now Sam is on OWN? but who watches own anyway…

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Mark1971 on May 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Let’s not compare the two. Even as a straight woman, I recognize Patrick’s hotness, and an added bonus is that she has good teeth.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I hope V. Stiviano can be worked in as some sort of recurring character.

steebo77 on May 15, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Vito Cammisano, Michael Sam’s boyfriend, comes from line of Midwest mobsters

Grandfather, father, uncle.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

A Kate Upton reality show would get actual ratings… by appealing to heterosexual man…

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Coming soon: The Michael Sam reality show

Yeah, just imagine the ‘reality shows’ he’s going to be appearing on about a year from now……

BigWyo on May 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM

The average prime-time audience for 2011 was 264,000. As a result, Lisa Erspamer, Executive Vice President of Production and Development, left the network effective January 26, 2012.[22]

The channel’s losses were estimated to be $330 million as of May 2012.

Murphy9 on May 15, 2014 at 7:34 PM