Coming soon: The Michael Sam reality show

posted at 6:41 pm on May 15, 2014 by Allahpundit

When he came out, he told the NYT, “I know this is a huge deal and I know how important this is. But my role as of right now is to train for the combine and play in the N.F.L.”

And, he forgot to mention, become a reality-show star for Oprah.

“We are honored that Michael is trusting us with his private journey in this moment that has not only made history but will shape it forever,” Winfrey said in a statement. “I am proud of the focus on authentic storytelling in our new documentary series format. The next real-life story we follow in The Untitled Michael Sam Project promises to spark valuable, important discussion on life in America today. Acceptance and illumination start here.”

Sam added: “Like every player out there working to make a team right now, my focus is on playing football to the very best of my ability. I am determined. And if seeing my story helps somebody else accept who they are and to go for their dreams too, that’s great. I am thankful to Oprah for her support and excited to work together.”

Baffling, although you can anticipate his defenses before you criticize him. One of them’s right there in the excerpt — he’s doing this, he says, as an inspiration to others, more of a PSA to empower gays than a means of self-promotion. Why kicking ass on the field and doing the occasional interview isn’t sufficient inspiration is unclear, but no one’s going to win a “you’re overdoing it” argument with a guy who’s doing something in pro sports that no one’s done before. Self-promotion will be treated as promotion for the cause of gay rights, with no exceptions.

Another obvious defense: Plenty of straight pro athletes participate in reality shows, so why hold Sam to a double standard? He can’t let viewers play voyeur but Lamar Odom can spend years orbiting the Kardashian freak show on camera without much static? The answer to that one, of course, is that normalization is a priority for Sam in a way that it isn’t for any other pro athlete. Part of the reason he came out, presumably, was to show that gays are just like everyone else, even when “everyone else” is composed of world-class athletes in America’s most macho sport. I expected him to keep a low profile in the league at first and take a strict “judge me for what I do on the field” attitude to make that point clear — but then, it’s stupid for anyone to set expectations for a guy who’s defied them already in such a dramatic way. What you’re seeing here really is tension between two different strategies for majority acceptance of minorities, the “we’re just like you” approach versus the “we’re different and you should respect that” approach. Historically, the former usually comes first and evolves over time towards the latter, but the reality show makes me think that Sam’s already moving towards the second one. It may not work out that way — the show may end up being all about how similar his off-field life is to the average straight fan’s, which would be more like the first approach — but it’ll be hard to escape that conclusion given that the reason he has a show before playing so much as a down in the NFL is because he’s different.

But maybe I’m misjudging. Maybe, after 10 years of Americans liberalizing on gay marriage, most of the country has already internalized the “we’re just like you” message from gays and therefore Sam can proceed directly to “I’m different and that’s okay.” And hey — as a seventh-round pick who’s unlikely to see much playing time, it’s probably in his interest to build his public profile around his celebrity rather than his on-field activity. Sam the player is unlikely to be remembered but Sam the trailblazer is safely famous forever.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Vito Cammisano, Michael Sam’s boyfriend, comes from line of Midwest mobsters

Grandfather, father, uncle.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Mob Wives Gay Boyfriends

steebo77 on May 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Wonder if that was the idea?

Irritable Pundit on May 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I am sure it was put out as a possible benefit.

Southernblogger on May 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I am proud to say I have never watched a show on OWN.
Even if I did watch OWN I would have no interest in watching this weird-looking guy cavorting with his weird-looking sodomy partner.
Orca thinks she can make a buck on this one. I’m betting not.

maryo on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

ZING!!!!!

ladyingray on May 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM

dammit…I cannot multi-task today.

Anyway, to jon1979…Absolutely I agree with you.

I don’t there’s many football fans that watch Oprah’s network, or even know she has a network. The vast majority of OWN’s viewership is black women. And I really don’t expect this one show to change that.

And we don’t know any of the real details about this whole thing. Sam could very well have had his arm twisted by Oprah…she’s not exactly known for her shyness. Sure, Sam’s a grownup and is ultimately responsible for his own decisions. Again, he is under tons of pressure from all sides for many reasons right now. Contrary to what some people think, I know very well how the influential “gay mafia” works…and I guarantee they’re getting their clammy paws over Sam as well.

Right now, he needs to concentrate on one thing…playing football. He can have a boyfriend, even do a show if the Rams allow it (and they’d be stupid to allow it) but playing football at the NFL level…which is totally different than even big college ball…should be his most major concern right now. If I were Sam, I’d take off, get out of town away from all this drama and attention and everyone clamoring for him to do this, or say that…and get his head straight.

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

“It’s Micheal Sam show! You will watch Micheal interact with females and uncomfortable situations in the locker room! You will see Micheal being sacked by more then one man! It’s the Micheal Sam show only on OWN!.

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I am already sick of looking at that kid’s mug. Please pick a picture of a football or something else for the thumbnails. He’s definitely no Jackie Robinson & his 15 minutes should have been up a looooonnnggg time ago.

KS Rex on May 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

novaculus on May 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Yep led by Tony Soprana— HAAAAAY!! (snap).. LMAO

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Vito Cammisano, Michael Sam’s boyfriend, comes from line of Midwest mobsters

Grandfather, father, uncle.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

He got into the family business, but every time he went in, the only legs that got broken were off the coffee tables.

portlandon on May 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM

The show could be a good coming of sexuality black comedy…no doubt we see Sam dumping a lot feminized homosexuals every other date…

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Sam is a long shot, at best.He doesn’t have the best tools, that much is certain. In the NFL physical deficits require brains, heart, and most of all dedication to overcome.

The distractions of celebrity will only detract from his chances of making the team.

novaculus on May 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Vito Cammisano, Michael Sam’s boyfriend, comes from line of Midwest mobsters

Grandfather, father, uncle.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I am surprised they “tolerate” the open gayness. Nobody more manly than Mafioso Italians..

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Episode one will be Sam takles a fairy…

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM

They’ll name it, Sam, I Ram.

faraway on May 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Michael Sam can have his own show, all about him.

Jason and David Benham can’t have a show, about helping others.

WTF has happened to our society? I barely recognize the place anymore.

novaculus on May 15, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Yep pretty screwed up really..Jason and David wasn’t going to push Christianity on anyone on their show but you know Michael Sam will be pretty in your face about his homosexuality on his show

sadsushi on May 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

novaculus on May 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I’m thinking he skips the family reunions. ;)

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I can just see South Park mocking this lol.

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I think that Michael Sam, unfortunately, has demonstrated that this whole thing is as much about licking a$s in the bedroom as kicking a$s on the field…and this is coming from someone who has, generally, been a supporter of gay rights.

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM

My issue is that Sam managed to gross out a lot of people and offended a lot of others.

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Perhaps they weren’t aware of it until now. He may not have always been so forthcoming.

I know.

Hard to believe that a third generation mafioso might obfuscate, but we do live in modern times. ;)

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Need some tequila?

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

That question mark isn’t necessary :P

Give it an exclamation point!!! Hand it over, lady!

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM

What is so sad is the Press Conference by the rams to introduce their draft picks was all about Sams.

The rams drafted #2 First round Greg Robinson and #13 First round Aaron Donald gets overshadowed by the #249 7th round pick Michael Sams.

Stinking RIDICULOUS.

portlandon on May 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM

That question mark isn’t necessary :P

Give it an exclamation point!!! Hand it over, lady!

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:53 PM

It might be (hic) almost gone at this point. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I’m thinking he skips the family reunions. ;)

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Or, maybe he books the “entertainment”.

novaculus on May 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM

The guy was a 7th round pick meaning he is not a big prospect anyway. So all this publicity over who’s mouth he dove into on TV?

sorrowen on May 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I know.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Damn it.. You know we are living in our last days when someone in the mob lies.. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Oprah did have the Lindsey Lohan reality show on her network.

RickB on May 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Interesting to think the Oprah could possibly end up destroying his career.

I don’t care about the nfl, gays or oprah, but it’s interesting watching this fiasco.

wolly4321 on May 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Couldn’t agree more.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM

He he….And that is totally why I would have your babies if you were a dude.. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I’m not sure this point has been emphasized:

He started filming on this ghastly Oprah reality thing WEEKS before getting drafted.

Think about that for a second.

Was it just Oprah throwing the dice and gambling some production costs on an unknown gay guy who MIGHT be picked, or was the word already out, the fix already in?

I suspect the latter.

*spit*

Dolce Far Niente on May 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Pro Football Talk (where both Mike Florio and his bosses at NBC have been sympathetic to Sam), just posted this entry quoting an anonymous Rams player as questioning the reality show angle, which is not surprising, since most players are as wary as the coaches and front office when their team is chosen to be on HBO’s “Hard Knocks”.

While I’m sure the NFL can and will discipline any Rams player who makes any negative verbal or written comments about Sam’s sexuality, I’m not quite sure what they’re going to do if players start criticizing him and his reality show for being a distraction. If the NFL brings the fine/suspension hammer down for that, they’re going to justifiably alienate St. Louis’ players and fans from their seventh-round pick, since it will come across as the league wanting Michael Sam to be a high-profile marketable commodity more than they want the Rams to be capable of challenging the Seahawks or the 49ers.

jon1979 on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Exactly right. He may have been SEC Defencive Player of the Year and an All-American, but Doug Flutie and Tim Tebow both won the Heisman Trophy and how did the NFL work out for them?

The reason that Sam went in the 7th round was because of his size. He might be ‘all heart and determination’ on the field, but he is still shorter and 60/70 pounds lighter than his typical counterpart. I understand that he said that ‘if I hadn’t come out, I would have gone in the first three rounds’ or something to that effect. Au contraire. If he hadn’t come out when he did, it is very possible that he wouldn’t have been drafted at all and would have had to try out as a walk-on.

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

novaculus on May 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM

lol! Actually, some of those guys, the one’s who’s family decided they should get a decent education and run the legitimate interests, who wore good suits and had nice haircuts,(not the chunky one’s wearing gold chains and all greasy mind you), were quite attractive, in a dangerous, tall, dark and handsome, sort of way. They had a certain look about them. They never seemed to be suffering a shortage of beautiful women, either.

This little guy looks like a completely different sort than those I’ve just described. He would definitely have suffered a shortage of beautiful companionship regardless of his orientation.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

It might be (hic) almost gone at this point. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Ah, well…I have some wine left from last night…a nice little pinot noir. (oh, gawd…the gay, it’s acting up again haha) My bf is giving me crud for being on, quote, “that dumb right wing blog” again. Over the phone tho, he ain’t here :)

Couldn’t agree more.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM

He he….And that is totally why I would have your babies if you were a dude.. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM

One of these days, we really have to go out for some drinks.

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM

You’d think that the first openly gay NFL player would make sure that he’s athletic enough to do very well to show just how gays can play, but it doesn’t look that way.

I mean, imagine being elected president of the US, and not having any experience.

rightside on May 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM

lol!;)

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM

For f*cks sake.

Ah well, yet another in a long list of shitty TV shows that will not be seen in my house.

Midas on May 15, 2014 at 8:12 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM

You’d love me.. I just might turn you straight.. LMAO! ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM

A desperate Oprah???

cmsinaz on May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

…nothing but an attention whore …lately.

KOOLAID2 on May 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM

He he….And that is totally why I would have your babies if you were a dude.. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I can’t even respond- lol
permagrin

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Is anyone else sick and tired of seeing his mug on this site?

John the Libertarian on May 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I can’t even respond- lol
permagrin

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Well, I haven’t attended the “seminar” yet, so there might be hope for us as a couple yet.. LMAO!

Just let me break it to my poor hubby of 23 years gently. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I can’t even respond- lol
permagrin

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM

We love you, B9. :-)

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Is anyone else sick and tired of seeing his mug on this site?

John the Libertarian on May 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I def am. The whole thing is boring the phuck outta me.

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

You seem very cocky this evening.

blink on May 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Yeah, blink I get that way with tequila…

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM

LMAO- I will enroll us asap then. ;)

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

We love you, B9. :-)

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Love u too!
Starting to regret not being a dude! ;)

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Part of the reason he came out, presumably, was to show that gays are just like everyone else…

…except for that sodomy thing.

Cleombrotus on May 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Totally agree…no awards for college ball, even a Heisman, guarantee a stellar NFL performance or career. Add Vinnie Testaverde to your list. College and pro are night and day.

Just my own opinion, but I think Sam would have been drafted roughly the round he was either way…I would have guess 8th. Sam’s no schlump, but he’s no great hope either. Again, every eligible player is on an emotional and anxiety tightrope on draft day. Sam, and all those drafted, dream of the day they play pro…most won’t get that chance. And a football career doesn’t last very long, even for healthy active players. This career path will affect his entire life from this point forward…and Sam needs to give it his full and undivided attention.

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Love u too!
Starting to regret not being a dude! ;)

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 PM

No, you are wonderful just the way you are.. It is obviously our flaw.. We are heteronormative. ;)

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I’m sorry, but he looks like a flake with that phony smile.

avagreen on May 15, 2014 at 8:32 PM

When I meet you melle- handing you a bottle of Patron. ;)

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM

When I meet you melle- handing you a bottle of Patron. ;)

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM

He he, my favorite.

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Puke.

Othniel on May 15, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Sam’s reality show…. “Leave it! It’s Beaver!

roflmmfao

donabernathy on May 15, 2014 at 8:47 PM

For someone who really just wanted to be known as a football player and not gay, he sure is acting pretty gay.

dpduq on May 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Oh, didn’t see you there, Jetboy. :-)

Fallon on May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Yeah, yeah…

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

HA HA ! The name says it all ! Jets Jets ! Jets!

Jet, Jet,
Jet, I can almost remember their funny faces
That time you told them that you were going to be marrying soon
And jet I thought the only lonely place was on the moon

*Feeling sleepy and goofy, almost time for bed I think!*

cableguy615 on May 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Classic

blink on May 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Yes. B9 is a classic. She’s decent, honest, kind, compassionate and a true and steadfast friend. We who are among her many friends here at HA are very glad to have her here, indeed.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM

AMEN!

melle1228 on May 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Gee, what a night-all this love and babies..lol

Speechless. Thank you all…very kind.

Love y’all too!

bazil9 on May 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM

JetBoy on May 15, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Straight? Is that even possible for him now? :)

monalisa on May 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Is he a tight end or is he a wide receiver?

Brock Robamney on May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I know he’s a defensive player by trade, but did they also evaluate his ball handling abilities?

catmman on May 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Andy Vanderbilt says he’s a teabagger.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM

They fancy him as a gay Jackie Robinson. Difference is, Jackie was the best player in the game the first time he stepped on the field. Sam is nothing of the sort. It takes a valuable player to make ignorant people see how closed minded they are. Jackie did that. Sam will only make people say he’s been drafted to placate a special interest. Congratulations on setting your special interest back even further.

CycloneCDB on May 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Resist We Much on May 15, 2014 at 8:06 PM

They may have missed something; I don’t believe they test a player’s depth of vision, and Sam’s eyes are so far apart that he may have depth-of-vision that greatly exceeds the norm.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM

The NFL has never allowed a current player to be in a reality show. We’ll see if they change the rules but I doubt it. I know for sure that the cameras won’t be allowed anywhere near the Rams as they practice.

fight like a girl on May 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM

They’ll never be able to get rid of him. You’re looking at the future General Manager of the Rams.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Yeah, they’re stuck with him for this season and maybe next, unless he gets hurt. But he’ll be quietly cut during minicamp after the requisite time has passed and no one gives a crap about a gay guy sitting on the bench in St. Louis. If he ever actually sets foot on the field, I’ll be surprised.

Jaibones on May 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Jaibones on May 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Now that they’ve drafted him, he has to make the team, or -anti-gay bigotry.
Now that he’s made the team, they have to play him, or anti-gay bigotry.
Etc.

That’s the way Affirmative Action works, it can never end.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I am going to be sick

Bullhead on May 15, 2014 at 11:53 PM

If I was a Ram I would be one angry football player and would shun Sam. He is bringing the circus to town. Sam is no Jackie Robinson.

KMav on May 16, 2014 at 2:39 AM

fight like a girl on May 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Isn’t Sam technically a Ram? Maybe Oprah can name the new show “Rammin”

Brock Robamney on May 16, 2014 at 5:21 AM

A.P., don’t over-think this.
I’m sure the Oprah pitched the show to Sam as some sort of societal balm, (and why wouldn’t Sam wear that Pope hat?)but it always comes down to the money.

B4B on May 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Just read an ESPN story on “Michael Sam” versus “Michael $am”. Now they’re not to happy at being told afterwards those were Oprah’s cameras in the room. Oh poor babies. Why take away from the ‘historic moment’ just because it was directed and staged.

Marcus on May 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM