Video: Liberal WaPo editor explains how tolerance is only for people who agree with him

posted at 8:41 pm on May 14, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

A career journalist and one-time Washington Post editorial board member, Jonathan Capehart explains on MSNBC how tolerance, despite its definition, is actually all about judgmenty judgment and forceful reeducation:

[T]olerance, no, is not – it should not be a two-way street. It’s a one-way street. You cannot say to someone that who you are is wrong, an abomination, is horrible, get a room, and all of those other things that people said about Michael Sam, and not be forced — not forced, but not be made to understand that what you’re saying and what you’re doing is wrong.

I love how he backs off of “forced” for the more genteel Orwellian formulation, “made to understand.” Who’s in charge of making you understand? How many will be made to understand? Just public figures who disagree with Capehart? Employees of important national organizations? Regular old private citizens chatting on the Twitterz? By what mechanism will we be made to understand by Capehart and his peers?

Sports writer William Rhoden offered a refreshing position on this, even though he’s firmly left of center himself. This is the controversial notion Capehart felt he had to push back on:

I think that to deal with things openly there has to be an open back-and-forth dialogue. Tolerance can’t just work one way. You can’t just be one way, that anybody who speaks out… this cannot turn into a Gestapo-type situation where if you express discomfort with something, then you’re cast as a homophobe and you’re fined by the league. I think that there has to be a back-and-forth.

It’s a shame that it’s a rare and noteworthy position for someone on the Left to accede that not every single person who disagrees with every one of their views is a bigot. Good on you, Mr. Rhoden.

I’m reminded of Keli Goff, writer for The Daily Beast and The Root, who risked the Left’s ire by making this fair and heterodox point after the “Duck Dynasty” row:

Though nearly half of the country opposes same-sex marriage, the media narrative has become dominated by the storyline that only a small segment of backward bigots who hate gay people oppose same-sex marriage. That simply isn’t true. (Reinforcing bias in reporting on this story is the fact that many outlets caved to pressure to use the term “marriage equality” in coverage, when such a term is an activist creation. Interracial marriage is called interracial marriage, not “marriage equality.” If supporters of same-sex marriage view the civil rights fights as comparable, the same language standard should be applied.)

Polls also show 59 percent of Americans now find same-sex couples morally acceptable. That means there are plenty of Americans who don’t have a problem with gay couples but seem to have a problem with the word “marriage” being used to define their relationships.

Among my family members who oppose same-sex marriage, I have been told to congratulate my gay friends whose weddings I have attended. But I have simultaneously been told that such unions don’t fit my relatives’ biblical definition of marriage. I have further been told that in the context of the oft repeated phrase “love the sinner, hate the sin,” they see gay people no differently than they would view a straight person like me who decides to live with someone “in sin” (as the biblical saying goes). It wouldn’t make me a bad person but one who according to biblical text would be “living in sin.” In other words, they wouldn’t throw holy water on me but also wouldn’t throw me a parade. Most of all, they wouldn’t really care how I live my romantic life at all, as long as I was happy.

There’s a big gulf between the relatives I describe and someone who “hates” gay people. The fact that so many liberals can’t see the difference speaks to the tremendous gulf that has grown in recent years between the increasingly vocal liberal wing of the Democratic Party and, well…everyone else.

But as we see at Brandeis and Smith College and Rutgers and the Washington Post, tolerance is no two-way street.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tolerance requires disagreement.

Liberals destroy everything, especially language.

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 8:44 PM

The roving flash mob of progressive fascists will get you if you get out of line, whether in thought, word, or deed. You will be made an example for others, so that others will fall in line.

You know what? It works. They’re succeeding.

xNavigator on May 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Mary Katharine Ham seems like the HotAir contributor who is most likely to fail/forget to include a main page image for her posts.

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

At stake is no less than the First Amendment, the cornerstone of our rights as citizens…..

itsspideyman on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Criminal is who I am. It’s genetic. My whole family has it. You can’t say that who I am is wrong!

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM

What? The WaPo lies to it’s reader? Say it isn’t so…

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

That’s why she gets paid less.

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM

San Diego California is on fire again… Wonder if it has anything to do with California needing to raise taxes again?

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Well, of course. I somehow find the strength to tolerate astonerii, who is the most hate-filled homophobe on this site.

John the Libertarian on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I find it much easier to tolerate thought and actions that I agree with.

KCB on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

It feels very weird reading this on hot air because I get the feeling sometimes from blog writers that every single person who doesn’t agree with everything Israel does must be an anti Semite. But I could be wrong.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Except that Sam’s whole cake fiasco was horrible and OMG worthy. I think it was Matt Walsh who wrote a wonderful blog about this today.

melle1228 on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Come soon, Lord.

pambi on May 14, 2014 at 8:51 PM

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

You need to send her a picture of yourself so she doesn’t forget.

RickB on May 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Capehart’s line of thinking goes hand-in-hand with the mindset of those in Wisconsin at the ‘White Privilege’ conference. They truly believe that anything position they hold is unquestionable, and anything they can’t be racist, sexists or homophobic because they are so intrinsically pure.

The fact that you end up with a New York Times sportswriter here being the voice of reason shows that there’s still a lot of arrogant, progressive craziness at the WaPo, even after Ezra Klein and his juicebox mafia were sent packing to Vox by Jeff Bezos.

jon1979 on May 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Over my dead body, you fascist f*ck.

nobar on May 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM

In 1000 years it will be underwater. or something.

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 8:53 PM

If you can’t cast someone you disagree with as evil and bigoted and a hater, you might just have to admit that they have a right to their opinion without losing their job and being shunned by proper society.

Heck, you might even have to admit that they have a valid reason for their beliefs. Once you start down that slippery slope, your entire edifice of absolute moral superiority might just collapse into rubble.

Socratease on May 14, 2014 at 8:53 PM

melle1228 on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I just finished reading it a few minutes ago.

Matt Walsh:

This is my homophobic rant against Michael Sam

The double standard is so obvious, so inevitable, and so common that I’m bored with pointing it out. Tell Tebow to stop praising his Lord and Savior, and the country will laugh and cheer along, but tell Sam to stop trying to turn his sex life into international headlines, and you’ll be bound, gagged, and tossed into a river.

INC on May 14, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Speaking of tolerance, who’s up for a little Oprah brings you a little Michael Sam love fest?

It’s a gay world.

CTSherman on May 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

The person on the right is gay, amirite?

rightside on May 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

That’s why she gets paid less.
kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM

She gets paid less cause she’s a broad.

Akzed on May 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

pambi on May 14, 2014 at 8:51 PM

At the rate things are going, could be very soon.

cat_owner on May 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM

“Tolerance is a one way street”. – Jonathan Capehart

I actually had to watch the video to make sure he actually said exactly that. He said exactly that.

V7_Sport on May 14, 2014 at 8:56 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM

In 1000 years it will be underwater. or something.

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 8:53 PM

So the water isn’t going to get here in time to put out the fires?

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM

The person on the right is gay, amirite?

rightside on May 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

LOL.

ShainS on May 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Put the whip down, Pharaoh.

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Of course Capehart and many other liberals think tolerance is a one-way street: they are incapable of comprehending that they might be wrong about something.

I call it “The Fonzarelli Factor.”

Captain Kirock on May 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM

“I have seen great intolerance shown in support of tolerance.” -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Akzed on May 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM

The person on the right is gay, amirite?

rightside on May 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Capehart? He walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and quacks like a duck. I’m pretty sure your gaydar is up to snuff.

CTSherman on May 14, 2014 at 9:00 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM

It’s Reagan’s fault.

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

She added one. I think you inspired her…

KCB on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

…But I could be wrong.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

In fact you usually are.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I guess our two (or, more likely, the whole planet’s) gadars were calibrated similarly … ShainS on May 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Pretty soon gaydar will go the way of the buggy whip. All you’ll have to do is look for the Rams jersey.

Akzed on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

bluegill seems like the HotAir commenter who is most likely to criticize Mary Katharine Ham.

steebo77 on May 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Liberal WaPo editor

Isn’t that redundant?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

She added one. I think you inspired her…

KCB on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

bluegill gets results.

steebo77 on May 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Maybe so, but I like her choice, whoever she is.

8 weight on May 14, 2014 at 9:03 PM

He meant ‘forced’. He said what he meant, and then he tried to walk it back, in the name of t o l e r a n c e.

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM

It’s Reagan’s fault.

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Figures…

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Bishop on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I have been made to understand that we shouldn’t emphasize this issue.

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Akzed on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Heh. Good point.

Before the coming of the latest Gay Savior, I was thinking maybe Google Glass might serve the same purpose …

ShainS on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM

There is nothing more intolerant than those demanding tolerance.

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Yep-

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

steebo77 on May 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I’ve noticed that.

It wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that MKH — like that SnowBilly) is a major hottie now, would it?

ShainS on May 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Most of those who take issue with Israel…ARE Jew-haters.
Apples/Oranges.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Good evening, my friend. :) Good to see you.

Yeah, these guys on the ‘tolerance’ brigade are something else.

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Photo is up, (from that NSFW site she can’t stay off of.) No fail.

V7_Sport on May 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Bishop on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

You were commenting on ‘rhymes w/ wa-moo’ last night…weren’t you?

annoyinglittletwerp on May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

V7_Sport on May 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Meant to use the quote instead of the strike. My fail.

V7_Sport on May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

steebo77 on May 14, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I’ve noticed that.

ShainS on May 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Well, babblefish is the female version of Shallow Hal…

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Hello J,

That tis a fact-jack :)

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

“Tolerance is a one way street”. – Jonathan Capehart

So is a man’s anus.
-Fresh Air

fresh air on May 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

lol!;)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM

You can make people be tolerant more easily with a smile and a gun than you can with just a smile. -Al Capone Bishop on May 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Credit where it’s due…

Akzed on May 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM

You can innocently and sincerely say you don’t get gay sex or that you find two men/women kissing offensive and still be destroyed by these idiots. They don’t want an open discussion or tolerance. They want power.

CW on May 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

KCB on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

(waving) ok, sir that made me spit out my coffee! :)

CoffeeLover on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Sam’s Song

everyone you see
will soon agree
that it’s grand song!

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

They don’t want an open discussion or tolerance. They want power.

CW on May 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

So much for the old America tradition that I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend with my life your right to say it.

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I want some bazil love as well. :)

melle1228 on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I want some bazil love as well. :)

melle1228 on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Hey rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat… What? what do you mean I just grabbed B9′s butt?

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Christ, you’re needy.

Seriously, this blog is for grown ups, m’kay? That means there’s not always gonna be as many pictures as you’re used to.

RINO in Name Only on May 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Put that back! lol!

And put down that bottle of absinthe, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Akzed on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I expect the Rams will change their artwork from the head of the ram to the back end.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I want some bazil love as well. :)

melle1228 on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

You always got it doll (;

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Put that back! lol!

And put down that bottle of absinthe, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

<— Passes Jackie a shot of absinthe… Better now?

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Capehart, and his ilk, should be careful. Since many of them are in all likelihood 1%ers, there will come a time that they will no longer be the persons in charge of driving on the one-way street and will likely find that the flow of traffic has changed directions without regard to their views.

EdmundBurke247 on May 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Put that back! lol!

And put down that bottle of absinthe, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

lol…

I am 4 shades of red right now.
afk-

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

No… where’s the sugar cube? I’m not drinking wormwood without the sugar cube, Mr. Wilde. ;)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:23 PM

CoffeeLover on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Waves back!!

KCB on May 14, 2014 at 9:24 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Hey Freedom of Speech only pertains to the Federal government…
/sarc

I love that game when the left plays it.

CW on May 14, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Party members in the Soviet Union were very tolerant of “constructive” criticism, theoretically.

Not so much of “nonconstructive” criticism, and very much so in practice.

However, any “constructive” criticism must be in the best interest of The People.

Forward, comrades!

So, comrade, do you have any “constructive” criticism of government policies you would like to share?

farsighted on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

lol…

I am 4 shades of red right now.
afk-

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM

{{B9}}

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Gays had to have the word marriage. Eskimos have how many words for snow? Lots. Native Americans actually did have same sex marriage, but they had a separate word for it.

The so called creative class can’t make up their own word? For their own sacred relationship? Such a lack of imagination.

thgrant on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM

lol! It’s okay, I’ve got your back. ;)

We’ve got to watch, Mr. Wilde. :)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Have no worries sweet Jackie… I have lot’s of sugar for you… <— Insert dashing smile here…

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM

{{B9}}

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Busy with melle- brb… (;

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Okay then, Mr. Wilde. :) Then absinthe and candle light it is. :)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Make no mistake, what Jonathan Capeheart is saying is that actual ‘tolerance’ is not enough. You must actively celebrate and participate in ‘X’ to not be considered a stupid-racist-sexist-homophobic-Islamophobic-xenophobic-home-schooled-dirt-eating-snake-handling-brother-marrying-deer-shooting-squirrel-eating-hick-n-hustering-trailer-park-living-moonshine-running-meth-cooking-one-tooth-brushing-single-hair-comb-overing-blue-plate-’n-light-special-luvin’-stand-at-attention-WalMart-shopping-ignorant-untravelled-flag-waving-cry-in-my-beers-with-Lee-Greenwood-Teabag-waving-guns-n-Bibles-bitter-clinging Neanderthal by the Left if you deviate one iota from their current orthodoxy.

I support gay rights, but I would have told Michael Sam and his partner to ‘get a room’ and if Capeheart thinks that makes me intolerant, he should just wait and see what happens when you try to force other people to ‘care.’ I certainly do not care what he does or about his relationship, but I could easily become very intolerant of him and his ilk, especially if they are going to act like Fascists.

The problem that I see with a lot of gay people is that it is simply insufficient for me to tolerate whatever they want to do. They seek my approval and acceptance. No one gets my approval and acceptance because they ‘were born that way’ or whatever. There are a whole lot of heterosexuals of whom I will never approve or accept.

And, doesn’t all of this just show how totally insecure Jonathan Capeheart is in his own skin and of his own position?

I mean, seriously, why the fvck should he or anyone else care about whether I or another person ‘accepts’ and ‘approves’ of them or their choices?

Do whatever you want, as consenting adults, in your own bedroom and leave the rest of us out of the societal ménage à trois.

BTW: The first kiss wasn’t really the issue with me. It was the smushing cake in each other’s faces during the NFL Draft. That is something that I’m prepared to see at weddings, but have no interest in watching it during a sporting event. Also, I warned my ex-husband before our wedding that, if he even tried to rub cake in my face or on my mouth, I would leave the reception. Period. Story. End of. So, yeah, I’m that ‘intolerant.’

Resist We Much on May 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Busy with melle- brb… (;

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

It’s ok, I’m giving Jackie sugar right now… <— Insert wink here…

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM

lol! Good..I better scat..no hammers need fall on me.

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Okay then, Mr. Wilde. :) Then absinthe and candle light it is. :)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM

<— gives Jackie more sugar… {{{Jackie}}}

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Resist We Much on May 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM

as usual well said RWM (waving at ya)

CoffeeLover on May 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM

bazil9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Stick around. :) We’re getting hammered on absinthe. lol!

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM

lol!;)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM

…But I could be wrong.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

In fact you usually are.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Ok. What was the last thing I was wrong about? Since I am usually wrong I am sure the examples are many. Pick one.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM

You are pouring too fast oscarwilde!
You must pour s l o w l y .

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I’ll see you on the QOTD, Mr. Wilde. :) I’ve got to find my bottle of absinthe and my absinthe spoons and tongs. :)

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM

It feels very weird … I get the feeling sometimes … But I could be wrong.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Ummm, well, okay then.

farsighted on May 14, 2014 at 9:37 PM

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM

thatsafactjack on May 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Provided I don’t get burned up in one of these fires…

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM

CoffeeLover on May 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Thx.

**waving back**

Resist We Much on May 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM

You need to send her a picture of yourself so she doesn’t forget.

RickB on May 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM

…now RickB!…what made you hate MKH…so much!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Oh man, you know what just occurred to me?

During the mating season, what do rams do?

They butt.

Dolce Far Niente on May 14, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I can’t help get a picture of Dr. Smith as the ultimate liberal, with the Robot as the constitution, with flailing arms, shouting “Danger, Will Robinson, danger!”

I would never say that all homosexuals are child molesters, but the homosexual community, as whole, seems intent on molesting my first amendment rights.

RockinRickOwen on May 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM

This guy is right. I disagree with his views but he is right in that he will win this argument every single time.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM

The gilled one is short on tolerance with Mary Katharine for not initially putting up a photo to go with the post. Tape her mouth shut like the girl in the photo Mary Katharine? Please.

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM

To claim that you find gay people kissing who they love to be the most disgusting ever and then to claim you don’t hate gay people is so obviously a lie that of course pro-gay side is going to win. Why not just admit that you hate gays? Honesty is the best policy.

thuja on May 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM

You really should add this to every comment you make.

blink on May 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Water is wet. But I could be wrong.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM