Video: Jon Stewart skewers Harry Reid’s Koch hypocrisy

posted at 4:06 pm on May 14, 2014 by Guy Benson

It’s no secret that the Daily Show’s Jon Stewart leans pretty solidly to the left, but certain Democrats evidently make his skin crawl.  Perhaps chief among them is Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who Stewart pronounced “really, really terrible” over the Nevadan’s nasty smears against Mitt Romney in 2012.   Stewart and company hopped back aboard the Reid-shaming bandwagon last night, kicking things off by documenting the Senator’s Koch obsession, and ridiculing his inarticulate shabbiness:

The segment then proceeded to trash Reid’s moronic explanation for why the Kochs’ cash is evil poison, whereas Sheldon Adelson’s political contributions are righteous:

“Corruption is a billionaire who spends their money on s–t you don’t like.”

Stewart makes his point, and Reid comes off as a hypocritical asshat — but one glaringly obvious character somehow didn’t make it into the script: Liberal billionaire Tom Steyer, whose nine-figure 2014 pledge to Democrats has had Reid jumping through hoops for months.  Steyer effectively rented out the Senate floor for a pointless speech-a-thon devoted to his pet issue, and his ardent opposition to the Keystone pipeline undoubtedly helped torpedo a vote on the broadly-supported, job-creating project.  (Mr. “Green,” coincidentally, founded a company with a major stake in a pipeline that would compete directly with Keystone XL).  Sure, Reid has a political incentive to play nice with Adelson, who’s an uber rich, politically active billionaire operating in his backyard.  Adelson’s resources could potentially prove decisive if Nevada’s popular Republican Governor decides to challenge Reid in 2016, so there’s nothing to be gained from needlessly inflaming that particular wealthy conservative donor.  But the Majority Leader has an even more pressing reason to do Steyer’s bidding, as the mogul’s millions could end up being the difference between Republicans falling just short of recapturing the Senate in November, and Reid losing his current title.  All three “money bags” villains portrayed in the clips above are right-leaning businessmen.  The (at least) equally relevant lefty billionaire managed to elude a single mention, despite the fact his example would have connected the ‘big money hypocrisy’ dots even more forcefully.  A mere oversight, I’m sure.

Comments

The thing I dislike about Stewart is how he mixes his salt and pepper political comedy.

He does target liberal asshats like reid on the most obvious of obvious, but when it comes to 75% of his routine he completely loses touch with reality when it comes to targeting the right side of the political spectrum.

I wouldn’t mind the windbag so much if he applied either of his comedic templates to BOTH sides instead of having a tailored approach to each, but then, I peg him as a liberal, so honesty will never be part of the equation.

So, I don’t tune in, I just catch the drive-by clips as seen here on the interwebz. If more people took that attitude and let him know why this is, perhaps he might evolve into a truly funny apolitical comedian.

Meh. Whatever.

Diluculo on May 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Bishop? Newbie not worthy…

AppraisHer on May 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I was lulled into a 7 minute false sense of security…damn you HA!

AppraisHer on May 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

He’s a sanctimonious, propagandizing *****.

Axe on May 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Is this the sunrise of Stewart’s Dawn of Realization?

Nah.

NoPain on May 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Never understood Stewart’s appeal. Even when I was a Dem back around 2004 I found him a big zero.

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I still don’t like him.

Maybe it’s a generational thing:

Known as the generation with the lowest voting participation rate of any generation, Gen Xers were quoted by Newsweek as “the generation that dropped out without ever turning on the news or tuning in to the social issues around them.”

Gen X is often characterized by high levels of skepticism, “what’s in it for me” attitudes and a reputation for some of the worst music to ever gain popularity.

davidk on May 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM

OT: anyone know the real reason Jill Abramson was pushed out at the NY Times? I have to imagine it’s money though it will be chalked up to something else.

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Is this another one of those occasions where we’re suppose to soften our instincts towards Stewart and suppose for a moment that he does have some sort of credibility?

Because in reality, he only displays these flashes of lucid reasoning when the ugliness of the Progressive agenda can no longer be spun into the usual DemoCommie memes.

Here is wisdom: If a Leftist Hack is berating another Leftist Hack – what do you think the ultimate goal could be?

Color me unimpressed with the flexible propaganda tactics of The Left.

They’re all hypocrites of the lowest order.

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I hope this younger generation is finally the one that figures out that the leadership of both parties suck, and then does something about it.

HiJack on May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

As with Bill Maher, Stewart will always be a crap weasel. Who cares if he’s correct about something once in a blue moon?

Thomas More on May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Why does HotAir feel the need to post this cr*p? Every time Maher or Stewart say something remotely sane you guys trip over yourself giving them credence. Is it the desperation of people like Benson and Morrissey to feel validated or something? I don’t know, I just don’t get it.

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I don’t know, I just don’t get it.

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

You often say this about a lot of topics. Just a guess, but methinks the problem is you.

John the Libertarian on May 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Stewart’s show is a starter news show for those who still move their lips when they read. The Comedy Channel? Good grief!

koolbob on May 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM

…you think the shitheads…are finally catching on?

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Diluculo on May 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM – You got it exactly right.

vnvet on May 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Communist Central™

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

What exactly did Benson say that has you panties in a bunch?

I found it not at all accepting of Stewart, and I learned stuff I hadn’t known before.

I wasn’t aware that Steyer had a company that was in competition with Keystone XL. Now I understand the libs’ opposition to Keystone XL. (Like they say, “Follow the money.”)

davidk on May 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM

John Oliver on Last Week Tonight is similar. He looks like he’s being fair, then skews completely left.

The difference, I find him pretty dang funny, so I watch anyway. When he does “reports” on foreign elections and so on, it’s great.

Favorite line so far, talking about the Indian elections (with a Ghandi in the running, naturally):

“Now let’s deal with Ghandi… and I realize that’s not the first time that’s been said with a British accent.”

WitchDoctor on May 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

…you think the shitheads…are finally catching on?

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

davidk on May 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I don’t know, I just don’t get it.

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

John the Libertarian on May 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

…I think the nom it uses JtL…gives us a little bit of a hint!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM

If Democrats weren’t shameless liars, what else would they have to run on?

oscarwilde on May 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM

vnvet on May 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Thank you.

davidk on May 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM

“Comedy has a liberal bias.” Ezra Klein, Vox News (allegedly!)

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Just a little reminder about the hypocrisy of Mr.Clown-Nose:

2012: Jon Stewart mocks ‘rich’ Romney while outpacing him in wealth

Yeah. He’s a real watchdog of justice isn’t he.

*Clown-Nose Off*

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

REALLY Guy!!!
2 auto-play videos starting up at the same time?!?!?!1 is bad enough – but 2 at the same time – come on.

dentarthurdent on May 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Harry Reid is one of the most repulsive people in American politics. I can’t help thinking every day he wakes up breathing is just another chance God is giving him to repent.

Laura Castellano on May 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM

…you think the shitheads…are finally catching on?

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I think the shitheads only say something against their own if a) the topic has reached well beyond any semblance of being able to avoid it, and b) it can be said in a mildly humorous way, and c) get right back to standard operating procedure immediately, now being able to say “what – I’m not biased, I did that whole take-down of Harry Reid.”

Midas on May 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Hard to give Stewart credit for acknowledging something blindingly obvious to anyone with a pulse. The only point Stewart is making is that Reid’s douchebaggery is now so pronounced that he has to call him out because he’s damaging the progressive brand.

dorkintheroad on May 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

REALLY Guy!!!

dentarthurdent on May 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Running Opera here with plugins set to ‘click to play’, and HA *not* on my exceptions list.

No auto-play heaven.

Midas on May 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Find some funny conservatives and do these types of shows yourself if you take issue with the bbalance. Best of luck to you on your search.

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Yeah, I didn’t know Steyer was in competition with Keystone, either (thanks, Guy). That does make things a bit clearer.

Midas on May 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I like ‘Newsbusted’ quite a bit. It’s very short-form, unlike TDS, but wholly conservative, and funny.

Midas on May 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM

How can you talk about the Koch Bros and never mention ex-Nazi George Soros?

Old eagle on May 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM

So you admit it. The Commies have the market cornered on this disingenuous tripe.

Thanks for playing.

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

politically active billionaire george soros gets a complete pass.

jlw on May 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

The Truth about Jon “Stewart”

Stewart admitted to Chris Wallace in an interview that he is ideologically biased and tells half-truths.

“My comedy is informed by an ideological background. There’s no question about that. [...] Oh, there’s no question that I don’t tell the full story.” – Jon Stewart, 2011 [6]

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Make that COAL billionaire Tom Steyer please.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Absolutely I admit it. We own the media, academia and most of pop culture. Why would I not admit that which has taken decades to accomplish?

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Stewart’s liberal hypocrisy is demonstrated by his personal fortune, which includes an annual salary of $15 million and an estimated net worth of $80 million. This includes three opulent mansions whose combined value is $12.8 million. Using a trick of the ‘one-percenters’, Stewart purchased his properties through private trusts (named after his pets) to avoid public scrutiny and diminish his estate tax liability. [9]

Be sure to scroll down and look at his two lakefront mansions in Red Bank, NJ worth $7 million

Hey, he’s just a simple average guy who’s mad as hell at the system, you know.//

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I just don’t get it.

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Charles Blow has a perfect name.

Eleanor Clift does too.

Do you get what you have in common with them?

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

You mean accomplished that decades ago. This isn’t anything new.

dorkintheroad on May 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

So you’re proud of the extent of your propaganda industry.

Interesting.

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Very proud. Listening to Rush today, he had it absolutely correct. Never have their been a generation of Americans more thoroughly indoctrinated as the millennials.

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Who cares what this idiot reads off the prompter?

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

So you’re very proud of the fact that a record number of people in this society are now blithering idiots fully indoctrinated under an avalanche of lies and ignorance.

And that nefarious reality makes you happy.

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Props for admitting you’re part of the problem.

dorkintheroad on May 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Of course. This is a war for the future of the country. Do you think we are just playing games here?

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM

So you’re pleased that you and your ilk are expert liars who obviously have contempt for the truth and reality in general and by extension all of society.

I see.

And how do you think this will end?

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM

No auto-play heaven.

Midas on May 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Can’t change anything on these IT controlled computers at the office.

dentarthurdent on May 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Best segment this week!

libfreeordie on May 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I don’t know how it ends, you just have to concentrate on the battles and hope you put my points on the board than the other side. And when your opponent handicaps themselves by being above an “any means necessary” approach, you move quickly to take advantage of that discrepancy. Which is why we’ve seen some pretty drastic changes in America in just the past five years of Obama.

I do think the Republican party has become nearly nonviable as an alternative on the national stage. But in the very near future, if they do not fundamentally alter some key planks in their platform, the GOP will find themselves in the political wilderness as their voters die off and are not replaced.

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

So. Civil War it is.

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Who cares what this idiot reads off the prompter?

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Evidently half the shut in’s here. They get a little testy when you bring up the thinking of the putz’s that post stuff here. But I guess I understand that through the cover of the internet is the only place they can flex their muscles. No way they would do it in real life, beside the fact they would actually have to go outside and interact with people, I’m sure they’re to gutless to say something to someone face to face.

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

So what is your excuse patriot?

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Yes, own it:

davidk on May 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM

So what is your excuse patriot?

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM

What’s yours?

lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM

That’s the key to why Stewart really hasn’t learned anything here, or will change — this routine wasn’t about Harry Reid and the Koch brothers as much as it was about Reid and his association with Sheldon Alderson, due to his donations to Republicans in the last few election cycles.

“The Daily Show” was perfectly fine with Reid attacking the Koches with outlandish accusations and saying nothing about Tom Steyer and his manipulations, because Steyer contributes to liberal causes. Reid only made it back onto Stewart’s radar because he was attacking to Republican-leaning billionaires but refused to attack a third in Alderson.

jon1979 on May 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

She acts like she actually played a part in it rather than simply being one of the indoctrinated.

Cleombrotus on May 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Generation Whine, “I got the shaft”:

Sergey Brin, Quentin Tarantino and Jon Stewart are among many Gen X luminaries pushing the limits, re-shaping corporate culture, re-thinking film and revolutionizing comedy. They are accelerating the speed of life and “keeping America from sucking,” writes Jeff Gordinier, author of X Saves the World: How Generation X Got the Shaft But Can Still Keep Everything From Sucking. [Wah, wah, wah.]

Jeff Gordinier, 41, a disenfranchised Gen Xer, feels like his generation “got the shaft.” In his book, X Saves the World: How Generation X Got the Shaft But Can Still Keep Everything From Sucking, Gordinier writes, “How about less Bob Dylan and more Kurt Cobain? If [Nirvana's] Nevermind changed the world, the world changed back pretty fast.” In many ways, Gordinier feels as if Gen X is getting middle child treatment. Boomers are growing old and Gen Y is coming of age, so what about Gen X? [Dylan is still a rolling stone while Cobain just has a stone marker.]

davidk on May 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Those of you who are whining about us Boomers need to study demographics. We Boomers laid a solid foundation upon which to build a society that fosters the well-being of all peoples.

You need to take a look at Generation Jones the forerunners of the Alphabet whiners.

“We got shafted. It’s not fair!”

davidk on May 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Jill never took Harrison Ford’s advice to heart to “play nice with the other children”.

Another Drew on May 14, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Eva D. Struktion on May 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

It’s a shame your side has put so much time, effort, [lies, deceit], and money into building a society that is unsustainable. I have no doubt you will be in complete denial when you reach the point at which you should realize your utopian ideals will never succeed in the real world, and you will never have the society you want. Even when it is all literally burning down around you, you will still believe you are on the “right side of history” or some such nonsense. Why is it so hard for you progressives to study history? The inevitable outcome of your movement is right there for you to read.

stvnscott on May 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM

stvnscott on May 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Because it’s not about facts or reality with liberals. It’s all about their personal feelings. Their guilt, their insecurities. And their insatiable need to project that onto the entire world rather than deal with it internally and responsibly.

“My attitude toward progress has passed from antagonism to boredom. I have long ceased to argue with people who prefer Thursday to Wednesday because it is Thursday.” – G.K.Chesterton

Augustinian on May 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Harry Reid has developed paranoid delusions directly related to his “Koch” induced psychosis.

J_Crater on May 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM