Rand Paul on voter ID: It’s a matter of emphasis, not a matter of abandoning the policy

posted at 11:21 am on May 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

After two posts devoted to parsing what Paul believes about this issue, you deserve to hear it from the man himself. Here he is yesterday, via the Right Scoop, telling Hannity that voter ID belongs on the GOP’s policy stove but on the back burner with the heat turned down. Money quote:

PAUL: Like I say, I think both sides have made mistakes in…this issue. But it’s mainly in presentation and perception, not in reality. In the sense that, if Republicans are going to go around the country and this becomes a central theme and issue, you have to realize, rightly or wrongly, it is being perceived by some — and this is the point I was making and I think it’s still a valid point, that I’m trying to go out and say to African Americans ‘I want your vote and the Republican Party wants your vote’. If they perceive, rightly or wrongly, that showing their ID is an attempt to get them not to vote because they perceive it in the lineage of a time when it truly did happen through poll taxes and questioning to try and prevent people, if they perceive it that way, we have to be aware that the perception is out there and be careful about not so overdoing something that we further alienate a block of people we need to attract.

Re-read that last sentence. That’s basically the same rationale amnesty fans have used to justify comprehensive immigration reform. Latinos, the theory goes, are “deaf” to Republican policy proposals because they’ve been alienated by the GOP’s opposition to illegal immigration and some of the rhetoric (“self-deportation”) surrounding it. If you want to make inroads with them electorally, you need to get past that threshold obstacle. Likewise for voter ID and blacks, Paul’s saying. Note the difference in approach, though. In the case of Latinos and immigration, Republicans seem to have concluded that no amount of “messaging” is going to solve their problem. They need to change their policies, which explains why every Republican with national aspirations — Paul included — supports some sort of immigration overhaul that would make it easier for illegals to stay. In the case of voter ID, for whatever reason, Paul seems to have come to the opposite conclusion, that if he talks enough about sentencing reform for drug crimes and re-enfranchising nonviolent felons, he can continue to support voter ID and still win a higher-than-expected share of black votes. Whether you think that’s true or not depends on many variables — Paul’s retail skills, who his opponent is, Democratic counter-messaging to blacks about Paul’s view of the Civil Rights Act and his father’s newsletter, etc — but it raises the real possibility that Paul will eventually conclude, a la immigration, that the outreach barrier is insuperable unless and until the GOP changes its policy, not just its message. And that means abandoning voter ID entirely.

To return to a point I made yesterday, though, maybe all of this is less about Paul seriously believing that he can win black votes and more about re-branding himself for both the primaries and the general election. He was initially going to run as the right-winger in the race, I think, but now that Cruz has come on, he’s re-positioning as “a different kind of Republican.” That was always going to be an undertone of his campaign given his libertarian pedigree but now it’s become more of a major theme. Whether you’re a centrist Republican, “somewhat conservative,” or full-on tea partier, if you’re disgusted with the state of the GOP, Rand’s the guy who’s going to give you something different on pretty much everything except federal spending. (And given how much establishment Republicans have spent over the years, lower spending actually qualifies as something different too.) If he makes it through to the general election, Democrats will put all of their energy into kookifying him as the most retrograde politician in America, someone who wants to time-travel back to before the New Deal when it comes to the welfare state and back to before the Civil Rights Act on racial matters. Rand knows that’s coming, which is why his outreach to blacks is so dogged even though it’s all but certain to be futile: The gesture itself is politically useful to him down the road in reassuring whites that he’s not the gargoyle Democrats say he is, even if it doesn’t reassure blacks. To be honest, I think he’d be happy to jettison voter ID altogether in the interest of making that gesture more broadly if not for the fact that it’s a sort of litmus test in the GOP primaries. He needs some conservative votes to win. If he “evolves” on voter ID now to impress Democrats, righties will conclude that he can’t be trusted not to pander to them if elected and that’ll ruin him. So he’s leaving the issue on the stove. Just on very low heat.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In Ed Morrissey parlance…this is not the hill to fight for. Let’s move on to the bigger issues.

DanMan on May 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM

You do realize that being able to win elections is what allows you to move on to bigger things. When Democrats force Republicans to win with an extra 5% of the vote, that makes getting anything done very hard.

This is why anyone willing to vote for amnesty cannot be a conservative. Creating 10 to 20 brand spanking new net Democrat voters effectively makes every conservative issue moot, as conservatives will not see power for several generations, if ever.

By the way, Rand Paul is an amnesty supporter as well as a voter fraud supporter it seems. It seems to me he does not want to move on to bigger issues. He does not want any conservative issues addressed in the positive.

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM

100 comments. Yeah!

Let’s make it 200.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Methinks the bloom is off the Rand Paul rose.
And as much as I like Ted Cruz, do we really want another inexperienced Senator as POTUS?

Give me Scott Walker any day. He’s proved he’s willing to go to battle for what he believes and he has a track record of WINNING.

Saverio on May 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Scott Walker believes in open border immigration and amnesty for illegal aliens. Is that what you want him to go to battle for? Making conservatism obsolete in America?

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Saverio on May 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I like Scott Walker too. However, the day he throws his hat in the ring for President the liberal media will give him the “kook” treatment over the fact that he doesn’t have college 4 year degree.
I don’t think he has to have it but a lot of people do and the LSM will make a big deal about it.

shubalstearns on May 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

100 comments. Yeah!

Let’s make it 200.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Again, why are you here?

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM

not sure if you’re trying to school me or what but a sarc was not appropriate since I can’t find any hill the GOP is defending lately, I know my issues of sovereignty and debt seems to be beyond the horizon…behind them

DanMan on May 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Saverio on May 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Was Abe Lincoln so bad? He wasn’t even a Senator.

Augustus Caesar was arguably the greatest leader the world has ever known. He was voted consul at age 19.

Jimmy Carter was a Governor. Color me unimpressed.

Skipity on May 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Don’t think this will only occur if Paul is the nominee.

shubalstearns on May 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Of course you are correct. But estblishment folks are always trying to sell us a moderate candidate with the argument that the conservative candidates are too kooky and will be crucified by the media.

Since EVERY Republican gets crucified by the media, let’s stick with the ones who have strong conservative principles and not pretend that a moderate is going to somehow soothe the rabid left.

Missy on May 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM

DanMan on May 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM

eh, my bad. I actually felt a small ting of sarcasm in that post but was not sure. I thought maybe you were seconding his position.

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Jeantel’s “brilliant” husband is married to a dove-brain.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM

You try explaining this to people that still believe trucks are going to go door-to-door rounding up illegals to drive back over the border.

And the idea that every single Latino is a hardcore Democrat Forever is just plain wrong. Lots of Latinos where I live. There is a sign everywhere you go to vote (PHOTO ID NEEDED TO VOTE).

I have never heard anyone complain.

Moesart on May 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM

And, Rand Paul is very VP looking, more than anything else.

Moesart on May 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM

And you can’t win elections WITHOUT YOUR BASE.

Something McCain and Romney didn’t seem to understand.

Bigbullets on May 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Was Abe Lincoln so bad? He wasn’t even a Senator.

Jimmy Carter was a Governor. Color me unimpressed.

Skipity on May 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Unimpressive it the word you were looking for.

Bigbullets on May 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM

BUT ASKING FOR A PHOTO ID TO PROVE VOTER ELIGILITY IS LABELED RACIST. . . . .

sniffles1999 on May 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I don’t get why encouraging them NOT to have ID and telling them it is a plot by racists to get them an ID… is not racist! It is manipulative and racist!!!!

This issue is the one that proves that Democrats only want to exploit the paranoia over race to keep power over their lives.

Not having the freedom of your own ID, makes them slaves. Sorry that is a strong word, but that is what they are!!!

People without ID cannot be anything but a second class citizen! Get them an ID card please! So they can participate in the economy of the great country they were born into, they should have the rights of any citizen! Get them an ID card!

petunia on May 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM

So, how much more time is Rand going to spend trying to convince us that he didn’t mean what he said (AGAIN)?

Pork-Chop on May 14, 2014 at 1:25 PM

“Big Tent” politics is the identity politics of pandering. It is the philosophical basis of The Left and it is first, foremost, and ultimately, an intentionally DECEPTIVE TACTIC. It is necessarily meant to deceive in order for a more clandestine agenda to be advanced.

So, if you RINO’s want to adopt this inherently dishonest “marketing” tactic for the GOP, then you’re either willing to lie to the Big Tent voters, OR you’re lying to the Conservative base.

So which is it?

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Blacks will always vote for Democrats, as long as we act like they will always vote for Democrats.

Rand Paul understands this.

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Philosophies are taught.

Political deceptions are marketed.

The GOP has officially been Turd-Blossomed with Rovian RINO Tactics.

Augustinian on May 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Bigbullets on May 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM

What I understand is that there is a large segment of the right that refuses to live in the real world. No one will ever be pure enough for you. That person would be fine until elected. Not that they could ever be elected, but then they have to live with other people and they would disappoint you a soon as they did.

That is why you are becoming more and more fringe and soon the party will be forced to move left to survive.

YOU and yours are forcing the party to the left to survive. Because the world is not the fake world you imagine, and you can not be pleased.

petunia on May 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM

sad isn’t it? I seriously considered a tag. But I realized I didn’t mean to be sarcastic. When the truth seems like a joke we know we’re scroomed.

DanMan on May 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Rand Paul understands this.

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Blacks will always vote for Democrats as long as the Democrats continue to feed their race grievance culture and allow them to remain degenerates living on welfare.
We have no power here other than feed them more grievance or bigger welfare checks. My position is that it is more about grievance. The real question then becomes. Who are you going to sacrifice on the altar of race grievance to get a larger small percentage of the black vote?

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Missy on May 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I agree that we don’t need a moderate as the gop nominee. I would not, however, classify Paul as a moderate. I think that what he is saying in this case is that repubs should n’t elevate this ID issue to where its on the same level with other major issues. You have to gain their ear before you can find common ground on issues important to Black Americans. When you’ve done that you can show them how conservative principles can help them.

shubalstearns on May 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM

You are correct, they are not all hardcore Dems forever. But that is a bit of a strawman, because the proportion of Hispanic Dem voters is sufficiently high enough that amnesty will move a state like Texas into the blue column very quickly.

If you don’t believe me, look at California, once a reliably Republican state. What do you suppose happened there?

Put it this way: amnesty creates far more Dem voters, far faster, than any inroads Rand Paul can make by Hispandering. Dems know this; I don’t know why the GOP can’t figure it out.

Missy on May 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

And you can’t win elections WITHOUT YOUR BASE.

Something McCain and Romney didn’t the GOPe don’t seem to understand.

DanMan on May 14, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I get this, but why does he just not talk about it then, instead of needlessly irritating the base he needs to win the nomination? If he wants to focus on something else, then he should just do that and not bring it up.

Missy on May 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM

why does he just not talk about it then

sorry, s/b “why doesn’t he”

Missy on May 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Again, why are you here?

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I am here because when I am away from here my heart aches for you NotCoach. I lay awake at night, and I wonder what Notcoach thinks of me. I want to read your thoughtful, respectful comments that bring me so so much joy.

I am here because you are the wind beneath my wings. I ❤ Notcoach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the world knows my secret.

〷◠‿◠〷

You left me

You left me, sweet, two legacies,—
A legacy of love
A Heavenly Father would content,
Had He the offer of;

You left me boundaries of pain
Capacious as the sea,
Between eternity and time,
Your consciousness and me.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Not all Hispanics are Demorcrats. And I find it disgusting that people will take any policy position simply for political reasons.

Do you know ignorant it sounds: let’s not do amnesty because we don’t like the way immigrants vot.

terryannonline on May 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM

The GOP’s two Big Government hobby horses are immigration enforcement and voter ID. It’s not surprising that Paul leans libertarian on these issues.

And they’re both essentially process issues. (Which is not to say that certain positions are without merit.)

If the only way to advance conservatism is to win process battles, then we’re doomed anyway.

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

The real battle is in winning the culture, not in trying to engineer getting the right kind of people to vote. -herod

Amen!

terryannonline on May 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM

terryannonline on May 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Oh, there are plenty of other reasons to not do amnesty. Chiefly, they can be summarized thus: we can’t afford it.

And amnesty proponents are doing the exact same thing when they say that we ought to “reach out” to Hispanics (read: pass amnesty) so we can bring more of them into the GOP fold.

Missy on May 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

It’s not either/or. It’s both.

If we continually lose process battles (or abandon the fight, as we seem to be contemplating), we have zero hope of winning the culture.

Missy on May 14, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Here’s what bothers me about politicians with Rand, their first instinct is to legitimize the left’s position. Why not just say that in this day and age there is no reason somebody over the age of eighteen can’t get a state issued photo ID and end it there. There isn’t a black person under the age of seventy that truly believes that showing an ID equates to a poll tax, so quit bringing it up.
lowandslow on May 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM

So, have your foot-in-mouth comments deemphasized the issue? I’m thinking not. I’m thinking you have given brain dead liberals an excuse for screaming ‘racism’, and pissed off the rest of us. And amazingly on an issue in which over 80% of Americans want voter I.D. This juvenile pandering is starting to turn my stomach.
NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM

ABSOLUTELY.

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM

terryannonline on May 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM

We should be enforcing immigration standards. I don’t want illegal aliens in my country. And they do not deserve any special treatment or special pathway to legalization.

bluegill on May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Those grievances will fade over time–segregation is still a living memory.
We have to be bold and talk directly to them, over the white liberals’ heads. We have to make the case that conservative policies will actually help their communities. Too many conservatives seem to express resentment for people (regardless of race) who live off of our taxes, as if we’re the ones suffering the most harm by Welfare policy.
We should instead have compassion for them that they feel that they have to live on the dole.

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Those grievances will fade over time–segregation is still a living memory.

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Nope, no chance am I going to feel compassion for someone who thinks it is their entitlement to live off my work. They have tens of millions of perfectly good role models to pick and chose from. What the hell are they going to do, decide to increase their Democrat vote from 95% to 98% because I am not nice to them? Screw that. They need to grow up and get over their private ghosts. They sure as hell ain’t being discriminated against anymore. In fact, they are granted special protected status.

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

You do not win the culture war by constantly allowing people to be immoral in everything and then expecting them to be conservative.

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Herod on May 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

The Democrats two big government hobby horses are immigration and voter fraud. It is not surprising that you lean on the side of the democrats on these issues.

They are both essentially process issues.

If the only way to advance ‘progressivism’ is to win process battles, then the progressives are doing damned well I would say.

The real battle is in changing the culture, something that both immigration and cheating in elections is accomplishing in spades. Basically import the voters the Democrats want and then cheat on top of it. Use the power those voters give you and change the culture one welfare program at a time.

Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, SNAP, Obamacare…

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Buy a pet and spend time with it instead.

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM

petunia on May 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Straw men all around with a side of false dichotomy.

Dems will always support their guy because they expect him to be a liar. Even when he panders, they expect he’s lying.

Pubs will not support their guy regardless of what he says.

No one says the guy has to be extreme. Or ‘pure’ to use your words. Indicating that you think the only two choices is lazy.

Bigbullets on May 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM

There is a fundamental disconnect in Rand Paul’s supposed clarification. Now, he says, asking a person for identification is perceived as racist (as differentiated from the question of having identification in the first place). It’s being asked for ID to vote that makes the act racist.

And… incredibly, it’s because those people are reliving the horrors of poll taxes. Poll taxes have been unconstitutional since 1966 and were abolished much earlier in almost every state in the country (California in 1914). I would question how many people going to the polls today have an abiding fear of poll taxes, including what we like to call minority voters (depends on the precinct whether you’re a minority voter or not).

Once again, we have allowed the scaremongers to set the terms of the debate. Voter ID is racist, and that’s that. The assumption has yet to be explained in any rational sense. Certain races are incapable of getting an ID card? No, Rand Paul says. It’s being asked to show ID that’s offensive (translate, racist).

In many establishments, including my hardware store, if there is not picture on your credit or debit card, you must show identification to use the card.

Do store owners not want black and Hispanic people to buy hardware?

Is that how it is in Kentucky?

IndieDogg on May 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM

This should make all the rats’ day.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM

It’s not surprising that Paul leans libertarian on these issues.

How is amnesty a “lean libertarian” position? If Mexico were flooding the US with underpriced goods but raised tariffs to keep out U.S. goods in return, would you call that “free trade”?

When my ability to emigrate to Mexico–or Switzerland or Australia–is as easy as it is to get amnesty here in the U.S. then I will consider amnesty a “libertarian” solution.

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Old rand Paul what to have his cake and eat it to.

He needs to be told 98 % of blacks voted for obams and 96 % of blacks voted against bush.

If did not allow any felony to votes you would get about the same amounts of blacks not able to vote democrats as that already vote GOP

gwhh on May 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Clearly, Rand Paul is moving to the open borders crowd.

Freddy on May 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM

What is with the ‘If’? EVERY trade agreement that the US has signed in my lifetime, has ALWAYS favored the OTHER country. Go look at the details of NAFTA. You are likely to be very surprised.

Freddy on May 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Republicans are doomed. Christie , Paul , Jeb . It’s going to be a slaughter Dems will be north of 320 electoral votes. Thank god for divided government

gxbhkt on May 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM

How about petitioning your state legislators to pass voter ID laws? It’s better to handle at the state level, anyway.

Naked Emperor on May 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Naked Emperor on May 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM

How about not agreeing with racists that everything we do can easily be regarded as racist no matter how neutral it is?
How about Rand Paul being smart enough to answer like that?

astonerii on May 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM

DanMan on May 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM

For Ed and the rest of the GOP establishment, there is never a hill to fight for but they always wear clean white undies.

From the Heritage Foundation Scorecard Website:
Average House Republican Score: 63%
Average House Democrat Score: 13%
Average Senate Republican Score: 67%
Average Senate Democrat Score: 3%

Democrats are dedicated to their cause. RINOs are dedicated to nothing.

bw222 on May 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Clearly, Rand Paul is moving to the open borders crowd.

Freddy on May 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Rand has long been part of the open boarders crowd. Losertarians are big on open borders.

bw222 on May 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM

PAUL: Like I say, I think both sides have made mistakes in…this issue.

One mistake was yours. I would have happily voted or even do a write-in for you Rand, but no more.

RJL on May 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Still waiting for a Paul apologist to give me ONE national candidate who has “emphasized” this by making it one of their core issues.

Paul did those so that he could somehow say he was reaching out to the black community unlike some of us other mouth breathing Repubs. He basically gave the idiots who claim that voter ID laws are racist legitimacy despite the fact that 8 out of 10 voters actually support voter Id laws.

melle1228 on May 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Naked Emperor on May 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Apparently that would be “emphasizing” the issue too much.. And we are not supposed to offend people in that manner.

melle1228 on May 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Is it just me, or does Rand Paul look kinda like Peter Lorre’s Joel Cairo character from The Maltese Falcon? Well, the hair anyway.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Vulcan Mind-Melt with Harry Reid.

NoPain on May 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

How is amnesty a “lean libertarian” position?

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Its certainly a platform supported by the big-L Libertarian Party. But most small-l libertarians don’t interpret the right of free movement this way.

As for Rand, I dropped him the minute he spoke of supporting immigration reform in favor of shamnesty.

Scottie on May 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Not ready for prime time, I guess. Jackass.

Jaibones on May 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Rand Paul is too much nuance and not enough balls.

Done with him. What a disappointment.

RWRFAN on May 14, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Too little too late Rand. Not a chance in hell I vote for your sorry pandering ass.

Doomsday on May 14, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I am beginning to think AP had one of those Hillary Clinton harmless blows to the head.

The idea that Paul could EVER sell himself to blacks no matter who his Democratic opponent is evidence of severe brain damage.

All it takes is ONE black preacher – or even a wannabe like Sharpton – to label Paul “RACIST” and that’s it. Game over. Period.

It isn’t true? If you think that matters, it’s more evidence of brain injury. If truth mattered at all, Truman would have been the last elected Democratic President.

Adjoran on May 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Democrats are dedicated to their cause. RINOs are dedicated to nothing.

bw222 on May 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Democrat politicians marched off a political cliff to pass Obamacare. Some careers had to end, but they moved the country to the left.

Republican politicians march America off a demographic cliff to continue to rake in the open borders money. A nation had to perish, but they got rich from “public service”.

David Blue on May 15, 2014 at 1:38 AM

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Oh, goodie, looks like that brown acid has wrecked the last 3 functional neurons left of coolpubica’s brain :)…

jimver on May 15, 2014 at 3:23 AM

Rand “All Things To All People” Paul “clarifying” it for us. Thank God for that. Reminds you of when Marco Rubio “clarified” what he said on Univision, when he told us in English that border security was first, but told Univision in Spanish that legalization was first and going to happen no matter what. Anyone remember that? It was right before Rubio voted to give amnesty to 20+ million new voters. All the wonderful senators you can trust like Chuck Schumer and Dick Durbin walked by Ted Cruz and Tim Scott like they weren’t even there to go pat a smiling Marco Rubio on the back for doing such a good job on the issue. Marco is Chuck Schumer’s favorite Republican, he thinks the world of him according to the interview Schumer gave after amnesty passed in the senate.

Now it’s time for Rand to curry favor with the likes of the amazing Dick Durbin, the esteemed Chuck Schumer, the honorable Harry Reid and righteous Robert Menendez when he gets back from his trip visiting the all-girls middle schools in the Dominican Republic. Maybe the guys can get together and have drinks to seal some deals on Joe Manchin’s yacht, the Black Tie. Happy days are here again!

CommieJuice on May 15, 2014 at 4:41 AM