Oh my: NYT executive editor reportedly canned in part because … she wanted to be paid as much as her male predecessor; Update: NYT denies

posted at 6:34 pm on May 14, 2014 by Allahpundit

It wasn’t the only reason, claims the New Yorker’s Ken Auletta, but it was one of them. So, if you’ve been wondering what that mysterious smell is this afternoon, there’s your answer: It’s a Category Five sh*tstorm on the horizon, moving at ferocious speed towards America’s most famous liberal newspaper.

No need to pop the popcorn. I’ve made plenty. Behold the war on women:

Fellow-journalists and others scrambled to find out what had happened. Sulzberger had fired Abramson, and he did not try to hide that. In a speech to the newsroom on Wednesday afternoon, he said, “I chose to appoint a new leader of our newsroom because I believe that new leadership will improve some aspects …” Abramson chose not to attend the announcement, and not to pretend that she had volunteered to step down.

As with any such upheaval, there’s a history behind it. Several weeks ago, I’m told, Abramson discovered that her pay and her pension benefits as both executive editor and, before that, as managing editor were considerably less than the pay and pension benefits of Bill Keller, the male editor whom she replaced in both jobs. “She confronted the top brass,” one close associate said, and this may have fed into the management’s narrative that she was “pushy,” a characterization that, for many, has an inescapably gendered aspect. Sulzberger is known to believe that the Times, as a financially beleaguered newspaper, has had to retreat on some of its generous pay and pension benefits; Abramson had also been at the Times for many fewer years than Keller, having spent much of her career at the Wall Street Journal, accounting for some of the pension disparity. (I was also told by another friend of hers that the pay gap with Keller has since been closed.) But, to women at an institution that was once sued by its female employees for discriminatory practices, the question brings up ugly memories. Whether Abramson was right or wrong, both sides were left unhappy.

David Folkenflik of NPR tweeted this afternoon that he’s independently confirmed the gist of Auletta’s story, that Abramson did indeed challenge Sulzberger and crew about her pay. Her rap for being “pushy” goes back years, and inspired a Politico profile in 2013 in which unnamed NYTers described her as “stubborn and condescending, saying they found her difficult to work with.” A fair cop, or another double standard aimed at a “bossy” woman who’d draw no complaints if not for her gender? In the interest of making this as miserable as possible for the Times, I’m calling it sexism. Straight up.

I don’t want to raise expectations too much but I think this food fight might end up being even more deliciously schadenfreudean than SEIU versus Media Matters. The good news is that, unlike most of liberal media, the Times will now have a minority in charge: New executive editor Dean Baquet is black. The bad news?

Update: Annnnnd here’s the obligatory denial:

“Jill’s total compensation as executive editor was not less than Bill Keller’s, so that is just incorrect,” New York Times spokesperson Eileen Murphy told POLITICO on Wednesday. “Her pension benefit, like all Times employees, is based on her years of service and compensation. The pension benefit was frozen in 2009.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

War on women at the nyt.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM

#BringInEquality

#FemaleBossBlackUnderlingDispute, leftist style.

Leftist thugs are fun to watch.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM

but see the nyt has good “intentions”

h/t el rushbo

renalin on May 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM

No one does War on Womens better than the Left.

Hillary started it.

obama and the Paper of Bird Cages’ Records promote it well.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:38 PM

No need to pop the popcorn

I’ll bring the beer.

If the NYTimes pays Baquet more than Ambramson, it’s proof they are sexist. If it doesn’t, it’s proof they are racist AND sexist.

— David Burge (@iowahawkblog) May 14, 2014

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

After four days of Yankee suckitude, I need this.

rbj on May 14, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Republican war on women.

Judge_Dredd on May 14, 2014 at 6:38 PM

“Pushy”, “bossy” woman? Next thing you know, the NYT will suggest someone $&it in her mouth or something. I wonder if she can see the Berkeley from her backyard.

MistyLane on May 14, 2014 at 6:39 PM

#spreadtheequalityaround!

vityas on May 14, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Well, this day is interesting.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Bump

— David Burge (@iowahawkblog) May 14, 2014

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Lolz! Another glass ceiling lay broken.

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM

#BringBackOurGirls

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

What difference, at this point, does it make?

MistyLane on May 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Sorry meant to link it. Lolz!

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 3h

News Flash: Jill Abramson breaks through the Glass Floor as first female editor to be fired at the New York Times

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It’s a cool day.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, considering you generally have to pay MORE to pull in a star outsider than you would to promote from within…

Looks like Pinch decided to #banbossy his own way…

JEM on May 14, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Newsflash, Harry Reid owns 93 acres next to the Bundy ranch.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM

How dare she complain. /s

katiejane on May 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM

For all the rats

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM

#banbossy

John the Libertarian on May 14, 2014 at 6:44 PM

#bringbackcorporateexcess

swamp_yankee on May 14, 2014 at 6:44 PM

They have just released a secret newsroom audio tape where Sulzberger told Jill:

“Just lie back and think of England”

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM

War on Wimmins indeed

neyney on May 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Obama: “It’s not smart to complain about this, Jill”

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

As funny as I think this is, do you really think it is going anywhere? Liberal hypocrisy is ignored all day long and twice on Sunday.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Jill Abramson, fighting for the 1%.

Godspeed Ms. Abramson.

swamp_yankee on May 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Don’t forget the Jewish aspect, the mantra that Jews are pushy. She is Jewish.

Tough for Ochs (perfect name for the bull-ie) – he had to pick from his two favorite PC entities.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I haven’t read the Times in decades; WSJ all the way for me. Why would anyone not in the progressive echo chamber want to read that rag, and if you’re already in the echo chamber, why would you need to read it?

xNavigator on May 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Really? Another thing unexplored outside of conservative blogs.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Rand Paul: “The NYT fired Jill because the GOP is racist”

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Time to eat your peas, Mrs. Abramson.

Judge_Dredd on May 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM

If they can replace her with a transgender black who supports gay marriage, then I’m sure Jill won’t mind getting canned.

Who is Lily Ledbetter? /s

MistyLane on May 14, 2014 at 6:48 PM

¡Hombre! Que dice NYTimes owner Señor Carlos Slim?

de rigueur on May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

So if it was the pay, was she bossy?

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

How many days until there’s a mass walkout from Times HQ by female employees over this?

Robert_Paulson on May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Recently

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

It’s a lollercaust.

Murphy9 on May 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

— David Burge (@iowahawkblog) May 14, 2014

Hall of Fame stuff.

docflash on May 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Lebron James just announced that NBA players are going to walk out until Jill is rehired.

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Scaramouche
1 hour, 47 minutes ago
Next, a gay black female little person with cybernetic leg implants and a medical marijuana card. Then we’ll be done with all the firsts.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Fascinating internecine squabbles inside the NYT but why does it matter? Bitter white woman or black man- the bias of the paper is going to be the same. This is a dispute over money and that’s about all it is.

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Pinch pretty much can say “What difference does it make?” and ride out whatever happens, because in a shrinking market for big city newspapers, where are the Times’ readers or reporters going to go? The Washington Post, where Jeff Bezos just purged the Vox crowd less than three months ago? Certainly not to either of New York’s other two papers or to the Times’ former property, the Boston Globe, which I believe is living off AFDC benefits and can’t afford to take on any more liberal crusaders (I suppose the liberal staff can act like Spanky and Alfalfa in an old “Our Gang” comedy and go off and start their own online newspaper, but unless they get full backing from George Soros or some other deep pockets lefty, all it would end up as is “Vox North”).

jon1979 on May 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Face it, she’s not as smart or good looking as the men she replaced. Kind of like Sarah Palin. sarc//

hip shot on May 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM

So if it was the pay, was she bossy?

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

got her job. You have to love leftist thugs.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM

xNavigator on May 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM

For the Sunday crossword puzzle.

My local paper is the WaPo. Not much better. But I do enjoy the crosswords.

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM

As much as I enjoy watching Liberals squirm in their cognitive dissonance, no business needs to pay everyone equally. They can pay whoever, whatever they want to, for whatever reason.

Don’t like it? There’s the door.

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Again

So if it was the pay, was she bossy?

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

She told her black underling that he didn’t do a good job and he now got her job. You have to love leftist thugs.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

He threw a fit, first, and threatened Ochs with “racism”.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Sexist NYTimes.

Racists, too.

Skipity on May 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Please excuse my pettiness but if I had to listen to her talk I would probably plot to have her fired.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM

*eats AceOfSpades’ Allahpundit’s popcorn*

Hey, I never pass on free popcorn.

BigGator5 on May 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Now that’s funny. I guess we will see.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM

The NFL just announced that they have fined Sulzberger $20,000 and have ordered him to sensitivity training and counseling.

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

If that’s the case, I love it when these people get a taste of their own medicine. Serves them right.

Judge_Dredd on May 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM

And, yes, I agree with what some others have said: who cares about NYT? Nobody reads it. Precisely because they are a bunch of politically biased hacks and loony-Left culture warriors. This idiot gets no sympathy from me purely because she worked there at all. I hope she suffers.

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Hey, can anyone link to Greg Gutfeld’s dc convention speech? They’re raving about it at Twitchy — can’t find vid

John the Libertarian on May 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM

You live by the Marxism, you die by the Marxism.

Jill helped to create the new Fascist Caste system. Women are not high up on their list.

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Snarktastic.

Wethal on May 14, 2014 at 7:03 PM

“Jill’s total compensation as executive editor was not less than Bill Keller’s,

Actually, IMO, that just makes it worse. We are not talking about people straight out of J schools. Abramson was not eating Ramin Noodles as a result of what she was being paid. Executive salary packages should reflect the level of experience, abilities, and time in the job. She’s 60 years old but she’s acting like a Millenial demanding everything immediately without having to work for anything.

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I wonder how she found out the dude got paid “more”?

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM

The Grey Underpaid Lady

portlandon on May 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Did she tell him he should be getting her coffee?

Wethal on May 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM

And that…was my trigger.

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM

The 2 seniorest women in NYT history: both vanished with no warning or explanation to anybody,” in reference to Janet Robinson, the former New York Times CEO who was also axed by publisher Arthur Sulzberger Jr. in recent years.

I repeat, #BringBackOurGirls

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM

#banbossy

John the Libertarian on May 14, 2014 at 6:44 PM

#banpushy

That was scary to write, lol.

Fallon on May 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM

For the Sunday crossword puzzle.

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Not a good enough reason. If you buy the paper, you subsidize their speech. Unless you’re a progressive, that should be a problem and you should find another avenue for your crossword puzzle. Use a search engine. I came up with 28 million results, with just two words: “crossword puzzle.”

You have other options.

xNavigator on May 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM

John McCain just announced that he wants a Special Forces group to rescue Jill and return her to the newsroom.

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:12 PM

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:12 PM

You are on fire.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM

At my job, where I am in very high standing, and I am personal friends with the owner of the business, I now suddenly find myself in a subordinate rank to this newly hired mid-20s bimbo who can’t do her job to save her life. Know why? Because the owner is a horny old pervert and he thought that appointing her to the position would get him laid.

Am I complaining? Am I screaming ‘sexism’? No. The dude is free to destroy his own business if he wants to. And I have the right to seek out a different job or start my own business. (Which I’m working on.)

This sexism crap is so dumb. I hope everyone in that liberal zoo-fest NYT crap rag suffers. They are all equally loser scum.

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM

The worm turns. Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha…

vnvet on May 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM

In the fall of 2006, Baquet was fired from the L.A. Times after refusing to comply with an order to cut newsroom staff,

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/who-is-dean-baquet-2014-5#ixzz31jd9uFAY

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

#TheyCannotBeSexistTheyAreDemocrats

RDH on May 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

David Silver to ask the NY Times to force a sale.

will77jeff on May 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Abramson said that she has several tattoos on her back, including the paper’s iconic “T.”

“I have two [tattoos] on my back that are the two institutions that I revere, that have shaped me,” she said at the time. “One is unsurprisingly the amazing ‘T’ in The New York Times newspaper. Then I have a Crimson Harvard ‘H

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/14/jill-abramson-out-as-new-york-times-executive-editor/#ixzz31jdrFDkN

I’m sure we can think of something witty here.

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Does this count as a job ‘saved’ or a job ‘created’?

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Sulzy is slowly running the NYT into the ground, so this wasn’t about a “smart” business decision. This was personal. I’m guessing the two didn’t get along.

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 7:32 PM

See the Times.

See the Times sink.

See the the board throw the editor out to save the Times.

The problem isn’t the editor.

It’s just the Times she was in.

ajacksonian on May 14, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Ok, fine. That’s her pension benefit. What about her salary? Was she paid more or less than Keller? If she was paid less, was it 70% of Keller’s salary?

Mallard T. Drake on May 14, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I guess im conflicted on this issue. On one hand it should be easy to prove equal pay for equal service. On the other hand, why is a liberal editor of a dying liberal rag fighting over money. I mean, only evil mean republicans fight over money. Nice well meaning libs say it shouldnt be about about making money……ect ect ect.

jaywemm on May 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I have no sympathy for Comrade Jill, a stone cold leftist. I, unlike most of America, still remember the hit job, she and Comrade Jane Mayer did on Clarence Thomas.

Hey Comrade Jill, some are more equal than others.

patch on May 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM

So I was told.

War on women at the nyt.

coolrepublica on May 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM

rocker98 on May 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

She needs to double down. How bout a cover-up design reading ‘Obama Uber Alles’ with a hammer and sickle and an Islamic crescent?

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Ahem; my comment from the headlines article:

She was just never happy with that 77% salary.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM

So you can get us LA Clippers tickets?

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Does this count as a job ‘saved’ or a job ‘created’

Both; government statistics!

xNavigator on May 14, 2014 at 7:50 PM

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Or, what I’d more like to see: She could modify it to combine the ‘T’ and the ‘H’ to spell the Porky Pig ‘That’s all Folks.’ (Along with a picture of Porky, of course.)

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM

#TheyCannotBeSexistTheyAreDemocrats

RDH on May 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Yeah that ranks up there by

#TheyCannotBePedophilesTheyArePriests

and

#TheyCannotBeTargetingAmericansTheyAreTheIRS

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM

You see if just a minute after the Titanic hit the iceberg it had gotten a new captain it would have been fine.

Unfortunately she was that replacement.

Still time for a new captain as the ship goes under!

ajacksonian on May 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I’m sure we can think of something witty here.

faraway on May 14, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Tramp stamps?

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I’m calling it sexism. Straight up.

Janeane Garofalo reference, there, AP?

KingGold on May 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Financial ruin is the best way to bring the State Run Media down…more please.

d1carter on May 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM

So, she was getting what, 78¢ of what Keller was being overpaid?
I’m surprised they put up with her BS this long.

Another Drew on May 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM

WhatSlushfund on May 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Reminds me of what I found when I visited a supplier in NY near West Point some years back: the GM kept praising this female subordinate over and over and over and over to me about how great she was. When she entered the office, I noticed two things:

1. His eyes and body language as he practically leered at her; and
2. Her figure and 36DDD chesticles.

All I could think of was, Dude, make the little man shut up already!!!

I swear, he practically sighed when he said her name…

Wanderlust on May 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM

The Schadenfreude will be delicious if this was really about pay, and that uppity Abramson needed to be put in her place by the pen!s privileged Sulzy. And I hope she sues if that is the case.

You, it’s looking like this whole equal pay for genders, and privilege hokum, is really all just projection.

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM

How about this oldie but goodie:

#BlacksCannotBeRacist

RDH on May 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM

How simple can it be? They were doing the same job, they should receive the same pay.

How many thousands of times has that been written in the Democrat talking points and then printed by their liberal mouthpiece, the New York Times?

This is on top of the Obama White House only paying their women 80% of what the men are earning.

The liberal Democrat war on women’s pay checks is something to behold.

RJL on May 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM

jaywemm on May 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM

From what I recall reading about them, that’s the standard line they take with their stringers and basic reporting staff, i.e. “the prestige of working for the Times out-weights mere material rewards” in lieu of actually paying them real money.

ebrown2 on May 14, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Update: NYT denies

…why of course!…that’s what leftists do!

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Quickly, now…someone make up a fluff piece on Sasha and Malia.

SouthernGent on May 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Think maybe she’ll wise up and get her mind right now concerning “progressivism”?

Naaaah.