Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

Karl Rove stunned a conference when he suggested Hillary Clinton may have brain damage

A spokesperson for Clinton added, “Karl Rove has deceived the country for years, but there are no words for this level of lying.”

As for her health, “She is 100 percent. Period.”

***

I notice how overstated the reaction is — “no words for this level of lying”? What part is the lie? Was Rove wrong about the number of days in the hospital? (I think he was.) Clearly, she came out wearing some special glasses. Was Rove wrong in his characterization of the glasses? (Maybe not.) Certainly, it’s fair to state that the public (and the prospective donors) need accurate facts about a presidential candidate’s health. That is always demanded, and we’ve been misled by candidates in the past. (I’m thinking of Paul Tsongas.)

The overreaction makes me suspicious that there really is a problem. I don’t like this how-dare-you-even-ask attitude. It makes me skeptical. But I do understand the alternative explanation: Stir up the base with stimulating outrage and a reminder that one ought to hate Karl Rove.

***

Hillary Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill took fresh aim at Karl Rove on Tuesday after the GOP strategist doubled down on his earlier questions about Clinton’s health — saying Rove is cynically trying to “inject the issue into the echo chamber.”…

“From the moment this happened 17 months ago, the Right has politicized her health,” the Clinton spokesman said in an email to POLITICO. “First, they accused her of faking it, now they’ve resorted to the other extreme – and are flat out lying. Even this morning, Karl Rove is still all over the map and is continuing to get the facts wrong. But he doesn’t care, because all he wants to do is inject the issue into the echo chamber, and he’s succeeding.”

Merrill added: “It’s flagrant and thinly veiled. They are scared of what she has achieved and what she has to offer. What he’s doing is its own form of sickness. But she is 100%, period. Time for them to move on to their next desperate attack.”

***

“There’s no reason for me to suspect that Secretary Clinton has a health problem that would disqualify her. She seems to be very engaged and very capable,” [Lindsey] Graham told reporters. “I think that people at 69 are incredibly able to serve, ‘cause I’ll be there in 10 years.”

Graham said Clinton will go through a vetting process similar to the “drill” that Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) underwent during his 2008 presidential run, and said that Clinton will have to prove that “whatever medical condition she had, bumped her head, that that’s OK.”…

“I’m not a doctor, as far as I can tell based on the way she engages she’s very alert and very feisty and keeps a busy schedule so I have no reason to believe that there’s anything in her background that will disqualify her,” Graham said.

***

Hillary Clinton has been accused of being involved in a murder plot, lying to a grand jury, and orchestrating her daughter’s pregnancy for political gain, so being accused of concealing a brain trauma is probably not shocking. Going after the front-runner early is also now a best practice. The Obama team brags about how attacking Mitt Romney long before he was the official nominee was a key to its success. Raising issues about health and age is also standard operating procedure in campaigns; in modern history, it has been a chiefly Democratic technique, used against Ronald Reagan, Bob Dole, and John McCain. Dick Cheney also enjoyed speculation about whether his heart condition had made him go nuts.

Clinton’s health has come up in lots of conversations I’ve had with Republican political strategists and even some potential presidential candidates, but the topic dribbles away because Clinton’s doctors cleared her of neurological damage and said she didn’t have a stroke. It is a legitimate issue, but it’s awfully early. Rove knows better than most that the press will raise the question once the campaign begins in earnest. Now that the age issue is out in the open, though, perhaps some conspiracies can flower. The questions about her health might grow so baroque that they blossom into the spectacular nuttiness of the Obama birth certificate claims. Or, these daily questions about Clinton could achieve a collective weight on her candidacy. So many issues, so much drama, it’s always something with her.

On the other hand, Rove’s counterdiagnosis to the official one could also make it look like the GOP is totally unhinged about Hillary Clinton, so fevered in its desire to drag her down that it will engage in medical speculation. (In addition to Clinton staying in the hospital for only four days and not 30, Rove appears to have been wrong about the glasses. Clinton’s glasses appear to have been her normal ones.) Baseless allegations could create sympathy for Clinton, rally her supporters, and put each incremental GOP claim, regardless of its merits, into the category of wolf crying.

***

“So, Karl Rove there, basically calling for Hillary’s health records,” MSNBC host Krystal Ball opined on Tuesday. “Is that going to be the 2016 equivalent of calling for Obama’s birth certificate?”

Huffington Post editorial director Howard Fineman agreed and noted that Clinton’s health records could be one of a handful of “personal details that she’s not going to want to talk about.”

“The whole Republican strategy is to make this all so distasteful to Hillary that she’s going to look at it and say, ‘I don’t want to run, it’s too dirty, it’s too nasty.’” Fineman conjectured. “I think that’s vaguely sexist because I don’t think you would say that about any man that you are going to scare him out of the race because he is not tough enough.”

***

When Dick Cheney, at age 54, was Bush’s running mate, he had suffered three heart attacks—including on the year of the election — and had open heart surgery and a pacemaker installed. President Obama has written that, in his youth, he used marijuana and “maybe a little blow.” Mitt Romney had 16 grandchildren when he ran for President in 2012 and two more were born during the campaign. Ronald Reagan was 69 when he was inaugurated President.

These were all by-and-large non-issues when these men ran for office—certainly fodder for the opposition, but barely taken seriously and certainly not used to wage larger critiques on these candidates’ character and qualifications. These were people who, whatever one thought of them, were obviously qualified for the offices they sought. A few behavioral or circumstantial dings weren’t going to change that fact.

Not so for the (maybe, possible) woman candidate who not only suffers the same slings and arrows aimed at her character but is constantly deflecting those attacks from impugning her fundamental ability to lead. If she chooses to run, Hillary Clinton faces a built-in uphill battle in a society that wonders if a woman is inherently equipped to be president—sentiments given voice and legs by conservative commentators…

Which brings me back to Mr. Rove. In December 2012, Hillary Clinton spent four days in the hospital—not 30. Mr. Rove should very simply and immediately apologize for this error and set the record straight. Moreover, experts made clear that the glasses Clinton wore after the accident were meant to treat double vision as a result of the accident and were not indicative of brain damage. Unless Mr. Rove has suddenly added ophthalmology to his resume of manipulating voters and freaking out on election night, he might want to apologize for this mistake as well.

***

I now welcome the requisite venomous outrage from lefties who can’t believe I’m daring to question the physical and mental health of a woman who will be 69 years old on January 20, 2017. You can all pretend you never questioned John McCain’s health back in 2008, when he was 72.

That was different, though, because shut up.

Whatever the case may be, here’s wishing Hillary Clinton the best of health. And if she decides to start being transparent about it, even better.

Just remember: Asking questions of American royalty is racist. I mean sexist.

***

Why does Rove allegedly smear his opponents this way? Because it works. Consider the Clinton “brain damage” story. Right now, the press is slamming Rove for his vicious, outlandish comments. But they’re also talking about Clinton’s health problems as secretary of state, disrupting the story she wants to tell about her time in Foggy Bottom in her forthcoming memoir.

Assuming she runs for president, the press will investigate Clinton’s medical history and age no matter what Rove says. But he’s now planted questions—about the December 2012 blood clot that forced her into the hospital, and about her mental condition as she ages—that will lurk in journalists’ minds as they do that reporting. If she has a moment of Rick Perry-like forgetfulness sometime between now and the fall of 2016, Rove’s comments make it more likely that voters will wonder whether she’s still with it mentally.

Political consultants create narratives about the candidates they want to defeat: Al Gore fudged the truth; John Kerry was an elitist; Barack Obama wasn’t fully American; Mitt Romney didn’t care about ordinary people. Once you kindle public suspicion about your opponent, it’s easy to keep throwing logs on the fire. On the eve of the memoir that will launch Hillary’s pre-campaign public relations blitz, Karl Rove is starting that process now, despite having no evidence for the storyline he wants to convey.

For better—but mostly for worse—campaign 2016 is already here.

***

***

“I think it is the worst kind of Republican consultant behavior to get into this kind of personal, you know, negative attack,” he said of Rove.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

So the clintons say Rove is lying

the “i did not have sex with that women” camp?

and the “what difference does it make” sec of state

LOOKS like da ole bag had a stroke, and is medically unfit for presidency.

will they try to SEAL her medical records like obama has?

sniffles1999 on May 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Yep. I think, if Congress does not pass it,Scooter may issue an Executive Order implementing Amnesty.

kingsjester on May 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Oh good! Another presser where the rat-eared wonder starts screaming “it’s the right thing to do!”

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM

will they try to SEAL her medical records like obama has?

sniffles1999 on May 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM

I think Rove did us all a favor in making Killary’s health an issue in a way that it would not be closer to 2016 where the rabid stupid women that support her would start screeching that it was sexist to bring up her health.

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:45 AM

OT- Who is surprised by this? Obama murders vets, DoJ ignores the fatalities for partisan reasons.

Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday that the Department of Justice doesn’t have any plans to investigate allegations that veterans placed on secret waiting lists at VA hospitals died while waiting for care.

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM

It’s over. Wait for the new government after the collapse.

celtic warrior on May 14, 2014 at 7:49 AM

As for her health, “She is 100 percent. Period.”

So the stroke is confirmed.

forest on May 14, 2014 at 7:54 AM

I can’t stand The Won as much as the next person and I am sure that he has made our veterans and military a very low priority but I don’t think he has specifically made the VA worse. It hasn’t been very good for a long time and I think as conservatives we know why. It is just another shining example of what happens when the government runs things.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM

hawkdriver on May 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM

hawkdriver, not sure if you saw my inquiry to you on the other thread or not. So, am I to understand that KeninCT is back?

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Her lies tell it better, saying she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary to a British audience which happened five years after she was born.

mixplix on May 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM

We don’t know for sure just how far back this illness or whatever she has wrong with her goes. She didn’t see Benghazi coming and thought the shoe being thrown was a bat. Even if she undergoes a physical before the primary, will the doc find a heart. Watch the vid of her with the families as the caskets are met at Dover and hear her lying to them about the cause of the attack.

Kissmygrits on May 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Kissmygrits on May 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM

These people are pathological liars. Getting hit on the head didn’t cause that.

crankyoldlady on May 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I’d agree but would also point out that the rat-eared wonder and his henchman Shinseki have been lying their asses off about how much they’ve improved the VA.

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Hillary has achieved sacred cow status. She is beyond the questions asked of mere mortals. Oh, and did you know she’s a woman?

oldennis on May 14, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Late to the thread, I’m certain it’s already been said but,

100% what?

Fallon on May 14, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM

reincarnated as Louey.

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Yep. That’s what I figured. Oh joy. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM

reincarnated as Louey.

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Did not see your comment Bmore. And I didn’t want to surmise. There’s another Hot Air commenter (supposedly one that considers themselves a conservative) that also thinks they’re poking me by using what they think is my first name. Could be NASCAR Kenny though.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM

hawkdriver on May 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Quite right. I had forgotten about the other. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Happy Nomad on May 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Did you see the Daily Caller article where the REB says illegal alien enforcement is “not smart”? Here in my part of VA, they are everywhere. “In the shadows” my fat butt; more like “in your face”.

fresh air on May 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I said his kids were Eagle Scouts.

hawkdriver on May 14, 2014 at 7:23 AM

afternoon..
I was there for that.. and thought it was an upgrade for his kids,
and an insult to those of us who were actually in the BSA..
but I guess the Scouts have to take anybody these days…
I cant believe Mgt banned Lanceman and let that Ffool carry on.
how is the return to the sky’s going?

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM

She supposedly still complains of head problems and that is another reason to boot her broad rear out the door, along with the fact, like Obama, she is not liked nor respected in the world today. Go,Tea Party, so we can get America back from these greedy cheating thieving murdering hand!

Roselle on May 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Where is Frank?

celtic warrior on May 14, 2014 at 6:29 AM

With his family.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM

You are fibbing.

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

are you harvesting some of the trees these storms are knocking down?
I just scored a lifetime supply of Mulberry
when my neighbors tree was downed..
maybe 16-18″ at the trunk…
brilliant Orange colors.. and hard..

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM

You are fibbing.

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

If this was directed at me…reconsider. Frank is gone…to be with his family.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14

good afternoon… hope your day goes well..

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM

You too, g2m!

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Make good use of it. I am growing my third. It is only 5 inches at the stump. The squirrels won’t even give it a chance to fruit completely.

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM

A minor infraction. White lie?

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 2:59 PM

have you used it before in the shop?..
if so..for what.. I was thinking inlay..
maybe kitchen wear?
does it spin well??..
is the dust toxic?..

5″.. I hope your young…
one of the great things about Michigan…
its a well watered forest..!!
when I was out working in LA
I saw some of the prices those boys pay
for quality hardwoods…shakes head..

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 3:11 PM

A minor infraction. White lie?

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Why is my message not getting through.

Through is the key word.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Done. Over. Roger. OUT.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM

No lies involved, not even white ones, racist. Period.

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Lolz!

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Also, Bmore, have you seen everpisso, lately?

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 3:11 PM

He’ll be back.Lolz! Mulberry. Just for turnings. My better halfs late Grandmother had the most interesting one I ever saw. Planted at some point in the 20′s. Never got tall. Looked(looks) like a bonsai. When I first met the better half, on a trip up to meet her Grandmother, was the first time I saw it. 34 years ago. At that time someone had placed a hubcap off a car into the crotch of the tree. Last I saw it, sometime a little over a year ago, it had consumed the hubcap completely. I love that tree. If I come across a photo of it I’ll upload it for you to see. Let it cure well. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Schadenfreude on May 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM

No. I can only hope it got the hammer. Ed will not let me know whether the jim56 is in fact another previously banned. I have asked Ed to please be sure. I wish to apologize if in fact I am wrong. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Okay. Back to work. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM

it ate a hubcap??… wow..
old trees like that are a wonder..
my front oak is 4′ dia at the trunk..
storms have taken their toll on that too im sad to report..
it shed limbs that were 18″ dia..
I bet that tree is as old as Lincoln..
he had 5 main limbs… he has three now…poor ole fellow..

question.. while curing.. bark on?? bark off??
and how long is “well”.. a year…two??

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Depends on where you are where you are going to store it etc. I always use a product similar to this. You can make your own up.There are recipes online for doing so. I coat liberally the ends of the logs as soon as the tree is cut. I then will leave them slightly off ground for an amount of time before I get to them to plank. I use locust poles 6-10 inches to lay on the ground to keep the good stuff from decaying. I leave the bark on in some instances. It just depends on what I am doing. Bark will almost always eventually come off anyway, so if you want it off on the front side that is fine. Depends also on how you are to be milling it. Lately I have been cutting to 6/4 mostly. Sometimes I will re-coat the ends after it has been sawn. Then I mostly just dry stack it in a shed. I use 2×2′s placed no more than a foot or so apart across the widths of the boards. I stack them as high as I can. Weight is good. In my area they will never completely dry. If I am making something that will leave the area and is of fine enough quality I kiln dry it first. Steam style or solar either works well. ^ months may be enough where you are. A year should certainly be long enough. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Sorry, should read 6 months.

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 5:53 PM

P.S.If the tree is cut at the proper time of year the bark will stay on better. Also depends on the tree.

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM

HA has gone to the Woodworkers..at last ..!!
thank you for all the tips and knowledge..
2×2 stickers..?
sounds like you own a mill.. lucky you
this Mulberry is short logs.. (neighbor chain sawed it)
so I wont be planking it..
years ago I used this to seal the ends..

and even though its made in America you cants sell it here anymore..
so thanks for that tip too..
the moisture up here is another story..
we go from 90% in the summer to 10% in winter..
so its always tricky..
and I agree on the wood movement and sending pieces places..
I sent a piece to the Bay area once.. a ton of expansion..
and to florida too…same results
do you ever sell wood?..
thank you again for your help, cheers

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

we didn’t get to pick the time of year the storm hit..
so I’m just trying to keep it out of his fireplace..
should make some nice turnings.. and other small pieces
I got maybe 40 short logs ..

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:45 PM

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:46 PM

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM

So the clintons say Rove is lying

Rove IS Lying……..so is EVERY Clinton…….IT’S WHAT THEY DO!!

williamg on May 14, 2014 at 9:56 PM

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Just to follow up. If I wasn’t to plank it. If I was gonna turn it. I’d most likely take a chainsaw and rip it down the middle and turn it bark edge. I would turn it soon, green, and either soak it in a barrel of denatured after the initial rough. Keep it from drying too quick. Or one of any number of methods folks seem to invent. I like the alcohol because it moves the water out of the wood and replaces it with the alcohol. You’ll lose some no matter how you do it.

kcewa on May 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Lolz! Practice makes perfect. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 11:41 PM

going2mars on May 14, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Checking isn’t always bad. Though I prefer to have less rather than more most times. ; )

Bmore on May 14, 2014 at 11:46 PM