Oops: Democrats now have no candidate for competitive House seat in Florida

posted at 10:01 pm on May 13, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

You remember FL-13. Now-Rep. David Jolly beat Democratic favorite Alex Sink in a special election fueled by Obamacare angst. Democrats had a chance to win it back in November, but they just lost their candidate.

Ed Jany, the Marine and former cop, national and state Democratic leaders hailed as an ideal candidate to take on newly elected U.S. Rep. David Jolly, R-Indian Shores, in Pinellas County’s Congressional District 13, is dropping out of the race.

The sudden and surprise announcement comes days after a Tampa Bay Times report about him seemingly padding his educational background and resume.

Jany entered the race at the last minute — after Democrats more or less threatened a prominent African-American minister to keep him out of the contest. In a statement Jany said he has realized he does not have the time to run for office:

“It is with deep regret that I announce my withdrawal from the race for U.S. Representative in the Thirteenth District. In my professional capacity, I am responsible for coordinating some of the Command and Control for Security at the World Cup in Brazil this year, something I committed to doing some time ago. I wrongly assumed that I could maintain my professional work requirements while running for office, just as I was able to work full-time as a police officer while pursuing a full-time education and balancing my military service in the past. Unfortunately, the political process does not allow for me to continue my professional work, and I cannot afford to support my family while campaigning without an income. This has been a very tough decision that I’ve considered thoughtfully over the course of the last week, but it’s the best choice for my family right now.”

Flashback:

Steve Israel, the chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, says the Democratic party is throwing its full weight behind Jany.

“An American hero, Colonel Jany’s service, independence and proven ability to bring people together to get results is exactly what’s missing from the broken politics of Washington,” said Israel. “Democrats are proud to support Colonel Jany and confident he will run an aggressive, successful campaign.”

The best part? The Democratic Party chased a prominent black minister out of the race in favor of Jany:

Pinellas County’s Democratic chairman left a bluntly worded voicemail telling well-known St. Petersburg pastor Manuel Sykes he would be “persona non grata” if he followed through with plans to run for Congress.

Sykes was the only announced Democratic candidate in Pinellas County’s 13th Congressional District, but he said Wednesday he has now decided not to run after all.

In the voicemail, Mark Hanisee said party officials had spoken to the offices of two key Democrats, former congressional candidate Alex Sink and St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman.

“Neither one of them are endorsing you, nor is the (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee). They have another candidate,” Hanisee said. He added, “You better hold off, or, like I told you Sunday night, you are going to be persona non grata. Take that to the bank. That’s telling you the gospel truth. You’re going to be getting a call from Rick Kriseman, if you haven’t already, telling you to back off. Have a nice weekend.”

So, they passed up Sykes for a guy who’s not even a Democrat, does not live in the district, and may have padded his resume. And, now they have no one.

The state’s May 2 filing deadline has passed, so there no time left for another candidate to get on the ballot to run against Mr. Jolly.

Congrats, Rep. Jolly.

Exit schadenfreude:

Longtime Congressman John Conyers of Michigan doesn’t have enough signatures to appear on the Aug. 5 primary ballot, an elections official announced Tuesday.

Conyers’ nominating petitions were insufficient, Wayne County Clerk Kathy Garrett said in a statement.

Comments

Alvin Greene should move ASAP.

Murphy9 on May 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM

LOLZ! Eating it up with a big spoon…

OmahaConservative on May 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Conyers will somehow end up on the November Ballot.

RickB on May 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

When you outspend the Rs 4:1 , and lose with a woman candidate, the hand writing is on still on the wall……

FlaMurph on May 13, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I missed the part where he wasn’t even a Democrat. What was he then?

Good. I wish they were Senators… the Conyers thing too.

petunia on May 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Pushed out the brutha for whitey? Dollars against donuts that Libfree manages to avoid this topic.

Bishop on May 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

And, now they have no one.

Not even a dead body ?
C’mon DumboCrats, wahapened ?

burrata on May 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

like rules matter

corona79 on May 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Love it. The Florida GOP should invite Pastor Sykes to speak at their convention.

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

What A Maroon!

rottenrobbie on May 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Oh Karl Rove you magnificent bassTurd :P

burrata on May 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM

…color me shocked!

KOOLAID2 on May 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM

So he padded his educational background and resume … at least, unlike the current POTUS, he appears to have some educational and work experience.

What’s not to like?

ShainS on May 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Conyers will run, and win easily, as a write-in candidate.

Still, it’s funny that he didn’t check whether his signature gatherers were registered to vote. Maybe they should require a voter ID?

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Where are the race-baiters? A white man speaking down to a black man like that and no cries of racism?

ncconservative on May 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

And Jany will appear on the November ballot without a party affiliation, though he is a Democrat. Jany switched from being a Republican to Democrat on Oct. 2 out of frustration with the government shutdown, he said.

ROOOOOOOOOFL

Yeah, sure you did, an insignificant little blurb in our national discourse had you huffily switching over to a Party which hates everything about you except for the ability to lie.

Bishop on May 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Conyers will still win the primary. He can enter as a write-in, and the people of his district are too stupid to vote for anyone else.

NotCoach on May 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

It’s worse than that. One of his signature gatherers that isn’t registered to vote is also wanted on felony warrants.

NotCoach on May 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

And yet he stands to fare no better than Obama did in some Philly precincts with Romney on the ballot.

crrr6 on May 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Huh. If it weren’t for the fact that the guy doing the threatening was a Democrat, this would sound specifically like a racist threat….

And coming from a white guy with a DUI.

notropis on May 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

HAHAHA!!! Congrats to Mr. Jolly on his re-election win!

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM

How does anyone get away with that voicemail, let alone a representative of the all so inclusive party. Seriously rude and nasty. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Democrats use the courts to get someone on the ballot.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM

LOL that’s the best

gophergirl on May 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

A racist liberal… Color me…shocked… I swear, is every single liberal and leftist out there a douchebag and hypocrite? What is it some super secret prerequisite for becoming a Dimocrat or something? You have to be a lying, cheating, scumbag that would sell out his own mother for power and a government handout in order to join the party?

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Ah the dimocrats, once and always the party of the Klan.

bbinfl on May 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Conyers will somehow end up on the November Ballot.

RickB on May 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

No he won’t. Gary Sheffield is on the ballot and was behind those faulty signatures.

8 weight on May 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Was that sarcasm? Dontcha know that all a dimoturd has to do is issue a fake apology and boom all their sins are absolved.

bbinfl on May 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Sweet! I agree though that Conyers will still win one way or the other. But I love what happened in Florida.

cat_owner on May 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on May 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Nonsense . . . . . Democrats don’t do that sort of thing.

This story was obviously conjured by someone working for the “vast Right-wing conspiracy.”

I can’t believe y’all fell for it.

listens2glenn on May 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM

8 weight on May 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Gary Sheffield? The former All-Star MLB player?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

NotCoach on May 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I understood it was a total of three signature collectors who were unregistered voters when they worked for Conyers, with one of those three being a convicted felon and, under MI law, unable to register.

Still, \m/

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

bbinfl on May 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

No, not sarcasm, I’m really surprised at the tone of that voice mail. I wonder if it showed Rev. Sykes how much they take him for granted if they can’t even bother to be polite. I wouldn’t talk like that to someone I despise.

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Good. Now maybe Jolly can quit with the fundraising emails…

HornHiAceDeuce on May 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

NotCoach on May 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Child’s Play….hell, Jim Moran beat up woman,(along with his Son)
Chawley Rangel hasn’t paid Taxes in 30 years…Alan Greyson
beat up a woman (second verse, same as the first)
Tiger Yamamoto (Oregon) liked to play touchy feely
with his daughter’s friends (yeah, he’s a former member)..

ToddPA on May 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

To be fair, that’s exactly the kind of Republican that Miss Manners admires and hopes will get the nomination in 2016.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Gary Sheffield? The former All-Star MLB player?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Sorry, Horace Sheffield. There’s all kinds of incestuousness in Detroit politics and Sheffield’s brother and a couple other guys decided it was time for John Conyers to spend time with his wife, Mon the Con.

8 weight on May 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That’s the way they talk to boys who try to wander off their liberal plantation.

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I would just sit back and enjoy this BUT these Dems have been ignoring laws for 5 years now. What is to stop them from ignoring something as routine as campaign laws?

neyney on May 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

it funny to watch the leftist machine in action with their threats of persona non grata…thugs-r-us…but no doubt RINOs do the same thing, just out on the golf course

and, somehow…i just bet that Conyers will do fine…speaking of machines. He’ll just need a little do over.

r keller on May 13, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Well done, FL Democrats! Well done indeed:

Jany boasts a degree from Madison University, a school often described as a diploma mill without a campus or classes, but which Jany insists is a legitimate institution. In his online LinkedIn resume, Jany lists a degree from the University of Minnesota, which he attended from 1982 to 1986…

He said he earned all necessary credits at Minnesota but did not complete other degree requisites, such as a senior project.

The school could not verify what requirements are unfinished…

Jany acknowledges he does not have the degree listed on LinkedIn, but he said the website is set up in a way that does not allow for a more accurate description of his status at Minnesota…

Jany’s campaign is already notable for the fact that he does not live in the district where he is running. He hopes to move to Pinellas County in June.

State law says candidates cannot run for a party nomination unless they have been a party member for a year.

Read the whole thing here

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

OT, but its no wonder blacks are convinced there is still racism everywhere- they only hang out with leftist whities, who ARE racist to the bone.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Cindy Munford on May 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Well we are talking about dimocrats a group that is barely above cockroaches on the ole evolutionary ladder.

bbinfl on May 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Tiger Yamamoto (Oregon) liked to play touchy feely
with his daughter’s friends (yeah, he’s a former member)..

ToddPA on May 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Wasn’t he the one photographed in a Tigger the Tiger outfit?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

That is very profound, and true. And not really off-topic. I don’t know why I never thought of it that way, before.

notropis on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Tiger Yamamoto (Oregon) liked to play touchy feely
with his daughter’s friends (yeah, he’s a former member)..

ToddPA on May 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Wasn’t he the one photographed in a Tigger the Tiger outfit?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Yes, that’d be him.

ToddPA on May 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM

That’s telling you the gospel truth.

Isn’t that what libbies call a “dog whistle?” If a Repub said something like that to a black pastor…

ncinca on May 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Sasse’s Advisors Post Morten

TruCons should read this and learn a thing or two (to be fair, it’s exactly what I’ve been saying for awhile).

joana on May 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Heh. Wait until 2016.

SouthernGent on May 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM

joana on May 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

And a link for you.

61 – 2 = 59 < 60.

notropis on May 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Good times,good times :)

sorrowen on May 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I’m sorry, but I can’t contain it any more*…

*Skip to the 1.30 mark…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I guess that’d make it unanimous- the Dems are 100% hypocrites!

socalcon on May 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM

joana on May 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

And you are…?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Now all we need is Allan Grayson to drop out…sick SOB…

sorrowen on May 13, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Read the whole thing here

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Hilarious. I’d like to think this was some sort of cunning Republican plot, but it seems more convoluted than they could handle.

talkingpoints on May 13, 2014 at 11:11 PM

HaHa!!

canopfor on May 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM

talkingpoints on May 13, 2014 at 11:11 PM

FWIW, the Tampa Bay Times is the offshoot of the merger of the Tampa Tribune and the St Pete Times.

Gad, but it must’ve hurted for them to write that story lol!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM

joana on May 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

So I know I’m not voting for senator in the general election because you like Land. I need to know who else you like.

NotCoach on May 13, 2014 at 11:26 PM

So, basically, before they get the living shit beat out of them politically…Dems are just forfeiting.

The French are suddenly jealous; someone does surrender better than them.

a5minmajor on May 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Heh… In true Democrat fashion:

In other words, the private sector in all their capitalist greed won’t pay me to do absolutely nothing for them while I campaign.

anuts on May 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM

{Ominous music from the movie Jaws}

Tard on May 13, 2014 at 11:50 PM

NotCoach on May 13, 2014 at 11:26 PM

What? Have you gone totally mental? If you’re enough of an emo to not vote for candidates I like, just vote straight ticket Democrat and save yourself the hassle.

Only Michigan Republican I kinda disliked was Rogers and he’s retiring anyway. Bentivolio is a bit useless but I have sympathy for his silly ways and I think it’s nice to have people like him in the Hill, so I’m rooting for him in the primary.

joana on May 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Land is running against democrat Gary Peters, a congress critter who voted FOR Obamacare. Peters is also pro-amnesty. So. while Land is supported by the establishment GOP, she has been a very competent Secretary of State. There isn’t a tea party candidate who has traction in the primary. So sending Land to the Senate can help with the repeal of Obamacare.

karenhasfreedom on May 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Conyers getting bumped is sweet – all the more so because he was cheating as usual, got caught, and it was all public enough that even the Democrats couldn’t cover for him.

My only regret is that the corrupt scum of the earth isn’t following his wife to prison.

•═•═

You can disrespect Alvin Greene all you wish, but you must admit his economic stimulus program (distributing Alvin Greene Action Figures) would have worked at least as well as Obama’s has.

Adjoran on May 14, 2014 at 12:38 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM

She’s actually running unopposed in the primary. Why on earth would anyone except Democrats oppose Land?

Why do people still believe that people like that are actually conservatives or Republicans? They’re just Democrat trolls who spend their time playing Moby and doing concern trolling around here.

joana on May 14, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Two words: Frank Lautenberg.

When it became clear that donk Robert Toricelli was going to lose his re-election bid in 2002, the donks violated New Jersey state law to disinter Lautenberg in a switcheroo that was illegal based on a plain reading of that state’s electoral law.

But the NJ Supreme Court was a donk court, and they just “interpreted” the law out of existence. And Lautenberg was senator until they buried him again recently.

Look for the donks to try something similar with both Conyers and in Florida.

“Rules are for fools… and Republicans.”(TM)

Spurius Ligustinus on May 14, 2014 at 12:45 AM

I know Ed Jany. He’s a good guy. I wasn’t surprised when I heard he was running for Congress, but I was shocked when I heard he was running as a Democrat. I think he dodged a bullet here.

Buford Gooch on May 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Maybe Conyers should start a second career in web design.

It seems there’s a lot of money in it.

And, they don’t have to work or anything.

trigon on May 14, 2014 at 2:29 AM

OT, but its no wonder blacks are convinced there is still racism everywhere- they only hang out with leftists whities*, who ARE racist to the bone.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Works for women – sexism too.
And liberals – fascism.
And special snowflakes – bullying.
Hmmmm.

*it’s not just Anglos in the chorus line

AesopFan on May 14, 2014 at 3:11 AM

FTA:

Jany acknowledges he does not have the degree listed on Linked­In, but he said the website is set up in a way that does not allow for a more accurate description of his status at Minnesota.

“You just can’t say (on LinkedI­n), ‘I didn’t finish school,’ ” he said.

That, however, does not appear to be accurate. LinkedIn does allow a brief note to accompany any listing for someone’s education. Jany responded, “That is truly not what I recall.”

What unmitigated BS — you just include the school name and don’t list a degree. This guy is perfect for any number of high level appointments in the choom gang.

horatio on May 14, 2014 at 5:46 AM

Sasse’s Advisors Post Morten

joana on May 13, 2014 at 10:51 PM

You’re wrong about nearly everything you say here. Why should we read anything you post here?

pfffft

hawkdriver on May 14, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Gad, but it must’ve hurted for them to write that story lol!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM

No merger just the St Petersburg Times changing their name trying to increase revenue.

meci on May 14, 2014 at 6:42 AM

Buford Gooch on May 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM

You might want to tell him that he comes off as a tad of an opportunist in this case. But maybe he realizes it now that bit him in the butt.

Cindy Munford on May 14, 2014 at 7:15 AM

They’re Democrats, they’ll probably try and make a case for an opposition candidate to be allowed to run nevermind the rules.

Ukiah on May 14, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Conyers will run, and win easily, as a write-in candidate.

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

You are assuming the kind of people who would vote for Conyers can spell “Conyers.” That’s a pretty big assumption.

CJ on May 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM

meci on May 14, 2014 at 6:42 AM

meci is correct on this – the Tampa Bay Times was formerly the St. Petersburg Times, just renamed a couple of years ago to imply a more regional paper. The Tampa Tribune still exists, and they also publish the St. Petersburg Tribine for Pinellas County, which is essentially the Tampa Tribune with a different name.

To further confuse, the arena in downtown Tampa that is home to the NHL’s Lightning is called the “St. Pete Times Forum.”

HornHiAceDeuce on May 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM

joana on May 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Oh no joana, I’m just demonstrating your paid shill influence. Anyone you like I will not vote for. You’re doing a bang up job, shill.

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I’ve always wondered if the methodology of the progressive-left didn’t have a certain level of self-destruction that even the media can’t paper-over? Perhaps we’re seeing some of that now.

Ricard on May 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM

karenhasfreedom on May 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM

I’m done picking the lesser of two evils, and establishment shills just help me understand the establishment pr!cks I won’t be voting for.

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM

…So sending Land to the Senate can help with the repeal of Obamacare.

karenhasfreedom on May 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM

NotCoach on May 14, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Usually I’m down with this sort of thinking, but getting rid of O-Care is tremendously vital, and over-shadows almost everything else. Unless we’re talking super-charged RINO, I’ll go with any candidate who’s sincere about wiping that law off the books.

Ricard on May 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I still call the arena the Ice Palace. Way cooler name. Fla used to be reliably dem back in day when dems were more palatable than they are today. We used to read the mullet wrapper of the west coast while sipping a half and half and munching on a guava turnover. I miss those sweeter and kinder days sometimes.

Kissmygrits on May 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM

This can all be summed up by saying ‘The bull in the Bull Connor party still runs strong.’ I wonder when they are going to check their white privilege?

The republicans should not let this opportunity go to waste.

meci on May 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM

i am sure that may 2 deadline can be extended. like a deadline matters anymore. its not like its a red line. well, actually it probably is. ask lautenberg. they’ve done this before.

t8stlikchkn on May 14, 2014 at 8:56 AM

People are overlooking the fact that Jolly’s now uncontested race helps Rick Scott and hurts Charlie Crist.

matthew8787 on May 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM

HornHiAceDeuce on May 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Nah, it’s the Tampa Bay Times Forum now. Makes more sense, but still just a hop & a skip from the Trib building. Which I’m sure didn’t enter into the Times decision to buy naming rights at all. Surely a good liberal paper, owned by a non-profit media think tank no less, wouldn’t make a decision based on capitalist competitive advantage or anything.

KKinFLA on May 14, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Jany is a typical late-generation military officer. Closet liberal, but sporting the expected Republican nametag. Then it occurs to him that the Democrats, with whom his worldview is more closely aligned, will love the chance to support a “warrior” who thinks as they do, so he switches to the party he actually belongs with.

That he “enhanced” his background is no surprise. Most zipperheads figure the civilian world is too stupid to spot any fakery they can come up with. Seen it dozens of times.

Freelancer on May 14, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Are dead people able to write or spell??

txdoc on May 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM

matthew8787 on May 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I want to believe, really I do. But how do you figure? Pinellas Co. will be Dem, and it’s Chain Gang Charlie’s home turf. Please, give me hope, because I’m afraid Charlie’s going to be back with a perceived score to settle. And I have a feeling we won’t like ol’ Chain Gang when he’s angry.

KKinFLA on May 14, 2014 at 9:54 AM

LOLZ! Eating it up with a big spoon…

OmahaConservative on May 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

You don’t need a spoon, just use your finger, like this guy.

UltimateBob on May 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Conyers will run, and win easily, as a write-in candidate.

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

CJ on May 14, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Doesn’t matter. These are democrats we’re talking about here. Someone could write in “Throat Warbler Mangrove” and the people counting the votes would count it as a vote for Conyers.

Anyway, this is Florida we’re talking about, not Michigan.

UltimateBob on May 14, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Just wondering who the racists are?

COgirl on May 14, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Ah the dimocrats, once and always the party of the Klan.

bbinfl on May 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

The real question is how they manage to fool so many blacks into staying on the klantation.

earlgrey on May 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM