NFL has a proportion and consistency problem

posted at 10:41 am on May 13, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Both Jazz and Allahpundit have already weighed in on the Michael Sam draft choice and what it means for the NFL, but I took a different look at it for my column at The Week today. The Miami Dolphins hit defensive back Don Jones with a fine and an indefinite suspension for tweeting his reaction to the seventh-round selection of Sam by the Rams, or more likely, the televised kiss from Sam’s boyfriend as they celebrated the selection. The Dolphins and the NFL have had some embarrassing episodes of late about bullying in the locker room, and whether Jones likes it or not, he’s a public figure whose communications reflects on his team and the league.

So a fine seems reasonable, and a lengthy session of butt-chewing does too. But the indefinite suspension is wildly disproportionate to the offense — and a very sharp contrast to what the league hasn’t punished similarly:

Defensive players usually have to commit multiple helmet-to-helmet attacks on defenseless opponents to even get a time-limited suspension from the league, and those plays can end careers and leave life-long damage. Meanwhile, trash talking during the game has practically become de rigueur for the NFL. [T]aunting celebrations from the School For Talentless Mimes now follow even the most routine tackles. Players spit at each other, and as my friend Jazz Shaw pointed out, a few players in the league mocked Tim Tebow for his Christianity with fake prayer-kneeling on the field.

In other words, the players in this league spend more time taunting each other than in actually playing the game. Yet the Dolphins and presumably the NFL see fit to send Jones to the re-education gulag over an ill-considered tweet far off the field, one that was not even explicitly directed at Sam.

Fox Sports’ Clay Travis noted that the league is strangely inconsistent when it comes to off-field behavior, too. In February of this year, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was charged with beating his fiancée into unconsciousness in an Atlantic City casino. A grand jury handed down an indictment for third-degree aggravated assault, perhaps convinced by video footage of Rice dragging her out of an elevator, with no one else in sight. Rice has since asked for a pretrial “intervention” to avoid a conviction and a potential three-year sentence, expressing through his attorney that “he’s ashamed of his conduct and he’s sorry for what he did.”

And yet, as Travis notes, the Ravens and the NFL have yet to do anything to Rice — even though the league has spent the last few years marketing heavily to increase its audience among women. “You get in more trouble for a Tweet about men kissing on a sports television show,” Travis writes, “than you do for allegedly knocking out your girlfriend and being charged with domestic assault? The message is clear: Words matter more than actions.”

It’s impossible to take Jones’ punishment seriously in this context. The Dolphins and the league wanted to avoid embarrassment during the draft, and made Jones an example as a signal to the rest of the league. That makes sense, and it’s important to understand that Jones isn’t owed a spot on the roster any more than Michael Sam is. But the indefinite suspension over a tweet given the behavior that this league either ignores or actively encourages is absurd, as is the Mao-esque demand for a re-education camp as a prerequisite for keeping his job. That doesn’t help Sam, and it should prove much more embarrassing to the NFL than any one-word tweet by a young man without a sense of discretion could generate.

Your thoughts, as always, are welcome in the comments.

Update: Here’s a market signal on the draft selection, via Allahpundit:

Michael Sam might have been the 249th player chosen in last week’s NFL draft, but his St. Louis Rams jersey is No. 2 in sales among rookie shirts being sold on NFL.com.

The St. Louis Rams picked the Missouri product in the seventh round of the draft Saturday, making Sam the first openly gay player to be drafted in the NFL. The jersey of Johnny Manziel, drafted in the first round by the Cleveland Browns, is the top seller. In fact, his jersey has outsold all NFL veterans since April 1. From Thursday to Saturday, the days of the draft, almost as many Manziel jerseys were sold as Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Tim Tebow jerseys combined on their draft years.

Update: For those claiming any punishment is not “conservative,” try this experiment. Go out on social media, identify yourself and your company, and claim a new hire is “horrible.” I doubt one would escape disciplinary action for that stunt once it came to management’s attention regardless of their political inclinations, but YMMV.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This is, after all, the same league that welcomed back with open arms dog murderer, Michael Vick.

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Michael Sam might have been the 249th player chosen in last week’s NFL draft, but his St. Louis Rams jersey is No. 2 in sales among rookie shirts being sold on NFL.com.

I can’t wait to see the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth if Sams is cut by the team before the season starts (which is likely).

DRayRaven on May 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM

So he’s basically the secular Tim Tebow.

Deadline247 on May 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

The real question is if Sam has what it takes to play NFL football and if St. Louis and the league are going to judge him on his on-field abilities or the fact that he’s openly gay. The amount of attention that Sam has generated and hype provided by ESPN really are out of proportion to reality. He’s gay- big deal. Is he as good as he thinks he is when he pouted and suggested he should have gone in the third round at the latest if the league wasn’t so full of haters? Or is he, as I suspect, a good college player who doesn’t bring too much to the NFL other than some okay talent and the whole the gay thing.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

So a fine seems reasonable, and a lengthy session of butt-chewing does too.

So expressing one’s opinion on a moral issue must pass league muster. How is approval of that situation conservative Ed?

A lengthy session of butt-chewing? I always said that tolerance wasn’t enough, soon participation will be mandatory, and lookie here.

Akzed on May 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

DRayRaven on May 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM

The fear of the gay backlash from the gay lobby means Sam has a guaranteed spot on the team.

So the real question here is, Will Sam ram them? I think he will.

weedisgood on May 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM

“I’m gay! Look at me!”

Akzed on May 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Excuse me, I have to hack up a loogie; cough-cough-ray hack-hack-lewis. There, I feel better now.

slickwillie2001 on May 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

BOOM! ; )

31giddyup on May 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM

A fine is reasonable?

Really?

I was under the impression that things occur on the actual field of play much more “offensive” than some one word tweets.

Is this distinction here that the tweet was public and the trash talking and other shenanigans on the field of not?

Or are we going to see flags fly for trash talking now too?

So the league is fine with players actively denigrating each other on the field but heaven forbid some very mild criticism be made publicly because of the “image” of the NFL?

And what is that image exactly? It’s no secret – to NFL fans – what goes on both on and off the field with it’s players.

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Yep. And on my beloved Jets team. *sigh*

THIS is making the rounds too..

JetBoy on May 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Yeah, and how many football jerseys do you expect gays to buy?
I notice they never give actual numbers of how many were sold for any player. Even the top seller could be nothing big.

So if Manziel sold 5000 and the rest had sold 1000 each this is supposed to mean something? How many jerseys were sold?

Rocks on May 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM

The only thing I can think to post is “OMG” and “Horrible”.

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

This Nation has lost it’s Effing mind..the man was Punished for
expressing an opinion (that millions no doubt expressed themselves)
upon seeing the truly grotesque display on TV of two individuals
who turned a normally mundane NFL Draft into their own
Group Grope…Please.

if I were a Dolphins fan, I no longer would be one..where’s
the backlash against this team??????????

ToddPA on May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

So a fine seems reasonable, and a lengthy session of butt-chewing does too.

Akzed on May 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

A bridge to far my friend, a bridge to far.

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

He was fined by Obama administration for improper food handling.

Rix on May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Distorted judgement is par for the course when wickedness is exalted.

Bigbullets on May 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Killing a dog, or even ninety-two of them, regardless of the manner in which one does it, is not “murder”. Please don’t conflate an act of simple barbarism with the act of wantonly taking a human life. A dog, like any other domesticated animal is property.

It’s fine to hate Vick if you want, but save the anguish for actual tragedies.

M240H on May 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

“…a lengthy session of butt-chewing…”

And if there’s a photo of that don’t anybody dare express disapproval.

Drained Brain on May 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

‘OMG’ is a horrific and hateful word and saying ‘horrible’ is very vile as well. Just wait until a opposing fan screams ‘you suck Michael’ and see them get escorted out of the stadium for such vicious and bigoted words

journeymike on May 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I would be interested to see data on what percentage of people drafted in the vicinity of his position – say 225 and on – actually get an NFL contract. (And I don’t mean practice squad.)

Texas Zombie on May 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM

What they wanted to avoid was owners finding themselves at the mercy of the GayKK, and in a similar position as the Clippers owner and ex-CEO of Mozilla.

Midas on May 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM

So he’s basically the secular Tim Tebow.

Deadline247 on May 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Except if Sam was treated like Tebow we’d be in the midst of a media meltdown as GLAAD when to DEFCON 1 and all the other gaystapo outfits ran around talking about how America hates gays.

But they were both good college players who are both said to have deficiencies in competing at the pro level. Tebow actually got a shot (and may make a come back) and even pushed his team into the playoffs.

Sam will get a shot and we’ll see how he does.

But if Sam fails and is cut we’ll hear it’s because he’s gay.

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM

The whole thing is a circus… I mean the guy was chosen in the seventh round and is said to be a mediocre player at best, and the POTUS calls him to congratulate because… GAY? Sick World we’re in sad to say…

sandee on May 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM

A couple of thousand people in the Rainbow Army are trying to control free speech.I find that horrible.

celtic warrior on May 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM

HORRIBLE

RedManBlueState on May 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Texas Zombie on May 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I read somewhere it’s 7 or 8%

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM

The only thing I can think to post is “OMG” and “Horrible”.

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

“OMG” and “Horrible” pretty much sums up most every NY Jets season.

JetBoy on May 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM

It’s fine to hate Vick if you want, but save the anguish for actual tragedies.

M240H on May 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

You quite obviously missed my point, but keep calm and carry on…

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

You will conform or it’s the reeducation camps…the Cool Hand Luke dilemma…”You got to get your mind right”

d1carter on May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

So a fine seems reasonable, and a lengthy session of butt-chewing does too.

You’re out of your mind, Mr. Morrissey.

Cleombrotus on May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

So freedom of speech is just a little more limited depending on the subject matter…I got it.

d1carter on May 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM

So he’s basically the secular Tim Tebow.

Deadline247 on May 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Nope.

Tebow actually won in college.

tetriskid on May 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I’d like to hear Michael Sam’s thoughts on this. He should denounce to “re-education” and the fine.

rbj on May 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

“OMG” and “Horrible” pretty much sums up most every NY Jets season.

JetBoy on May 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I’m a lifelong (grew up there) Dolphins fan. Not too much to be celebrating either…..

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

A fine is not reasonable, Ed. A sharp rebuke, at most.

“That was a stupid thing to do. Don’t you understand that optics of it? Are you an idiot?”

“Sorry. I know I shouldn’t have done it.”

“Good. Don’t do it again.”

Period.

fadetogray on May 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I also cannot use the sorts of language common on a football field at work. Or engage in behavior common on a football field.

And even you note the inconsistency in the NFL coming down on off the field antics and crimes.

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

rbj on May 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

My guess is he wouldn’t do that. I could be wrong but he seems to me to be all about “look at me”.

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Akzed on May 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

With ‘conservatives’ sitting by and saying, “yeah, I’m ok with that.”

Midas on May 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

What I don’t get is the “OMG” was perfectly fine. I’m sure there were a lot of Sam supporters who tweeted OMG too. Why didn’t he just say the “Horrible” tweet was meant to such the person asking about it was “Horrible”? This things are totally vague. What is this automatic jump to the public kiss was horrible? Probably he did mean that but I don’t get where it’s automatic he meant something bad. Are you supporting this discipline even for something so vague?

Rocks on May 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

The player shouldn’t have been fined or suspended.

This country is so worried about offending people that everybody walks on eggshells.

I think we should back to being a little offended every once in awhile and toughen up.

gophergirl on May 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

You quite obviously missed my point, but keep calm and carry on…

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I think your main point was to illustrate that the NFL, as an entity, behaves in a reactionary and arbitrary way to bad press and will always contradict previous statements of ‘values’ to better the bottom line.

But my point was that deeming Michael Vick a “murderer” is just as injudiciously reactionary.

M240H on May 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Abusing your sisters, mothers and spouses is totally ok.

Plus, long live the United States of Spies.

Goebbels orgasmed over the entire village his cemetery is in.

Orwell was nothing.

No wonder LilliPutin laughs his azz off at you.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM

rbj on May 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Sam said he thought he was going to be picked in the first or second round so he might very well claim homophobia led to him being picked in round 7.

I wouldn’t hold my breath hoping for some call to tolerance here from Sam.

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM

…I’ll be watching the Detroit Lions this fall despite the ‘thought police’…but NO other NFL games. College football has always been a better product anyway.

KOOLAID2 on May 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM

rbj on May 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Exactly. If I was Sam, I’d tell the Dolphins not to be such touchy drama queens.

fadetogray on May 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Saw that. I like that site except for the mousetrap. I guess it’s not only me, it disables my back button.

Akzed on May 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Tim Tebow’s no longer in the league because NFL General Managers have concluded his talent level isn’t worth all the attention he gets because of who he is (an unabashed Christian). They consider all the hoopla a “negative” which isn’t overcome by what he can produce for them on the field.

Not saying they’re right or wrong, just commenting on the “business decision” made the the League.

With Sam, the first question is “Are you going to be a football player who happens to be gay or the ‘gay football player’?” A lot of the special interest groups are going to want him to be the latter & they’ll pressure him to pick up the flag and run with it.

We’ll have to see what choice he makes. If he chooses the former, he’ll eventually get criticized by the interest groups – but his chances for a career will increase. If he chooses the latter, well, he’d better play at an All Pro level because eventually, the Rams will decide it’s not worth the trouble.

Given his comments about why he fell to the 7th round …. not a good start, rookie.

BD57 on May 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM

There was a time when their peckerholster contact on live TV would have been cause for dismissal by the league.

If it could go from there to here, it can and will go from here to there again.

Akzed on May 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Shorter: The NFL has a problem……..

d1carter on May 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Johnathan Martin set the stage. The NFL brand is changing,…to something softer and more gentle. No more spitting. Except for Richard Sherman, of course.

butch on May 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

So “OMG”, and “Horrible” are now too harsh for the NFL.

Maybe when Sam is no the field they can switch to playing flag football. We wouldn’t want him taking an actual hit.

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

You quite obviously missed my point, but keep calm and carry on…

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Point missed purposely…. ;)

ladyingray on May 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Foolish comparison. Just use your own argument. Do you really want me to start listing the bashing of Tebow by other players? This is the same league that looks the other way on actual crimes and plays glib about the trash talk and all the “n1gger” expletives used by other players but the word “horrible” is given special weight when applied to a super-low draft pick who happens to be gay?

This country is full of delusional people now and many on our side. Such a pathetic joke.

ClassicCon on May 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

M240H on May 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I called Michael Vick a ‘dog murderer’ because that is exactly what he was called by some of the very same people that are now calling the Dolphins’ player a ‘homophobe’ and ‘bigot.’

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

In the next Washington Redskins need to change their name thread I’m going to post “oy vey” to Daniel Snyder. Think I’ll get a call from the No Freedom League?

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Akzed on May 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Mouse trap? I think that might only be you.

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM

College ball is more interesting…

PatriotRider on May 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM

So will the NFL and the Dolphins be RACIST when he gets cut? or not a starter? or limited playing time? or second string bench warmer?

There is no winning, regardless of what happens, the LGBT whiners will be in full throated denunciation of the team and NFL.

Wouldn’t it have been smarter for the NFL to coach gay Sam on keeping excessive PDA private during the draft fishbowl?

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Most of the updates I get from ESPN on my phone are about illicit behavior by players. Happens so often I need to disable the annoying updates. Thing is always buzzing.

Sherman1864 on May 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Before I say anything else, I want to righteously condemn any person on the planet who might say anything in the least bit homophobic (They’re TERRIBLE, awful, disgusting people, those filthy bigots!).

Or people who say anything anyone might consider racist,

Or sexist (really, no big deal there, but I’ll throw it in for the Hillary! crowd.)

***

Now that I have established I don’t have even a smidgen of Evil in my heart, can I say what I really think?

Well, okay.

No reason why I should be allowed to have an opinion that isn’t group sanctioned, after all. Carry on with what you were saying.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

If you believe that, you are a RINO galore and it’s no wonder social conservatives don’t follow them to the voting booth.

sentinelrules on May 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Actually this put the whole story in a new perspective for me.
I think if I think of it from this angle, I support the NFL’s decision.

weedisgood on May 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I wonder why no one has brought up the strong possibility that the Rams were forced to draft this guy.

Bigbullets on May 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM

You missed the point. He was drafted BECAUSE he came out as gay not in spite of it.

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I don’t get this post. How is Jones being so insensitive even remotely comparable to Rice straightening out his beeyatch?

One is a gross violation of human civility and an offense against Diversity, and the other is just a guy teaching his ‘ho how to behave.

The NFL understands these priorities. Why don’t you, Ed?

fadetogray on May 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Yeah, shirts and skins, baby!

That’ll really get the ghey viewership up.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Bigbullets on May 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

SShhhhh!!!! Can’t you keep a secret?

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM

If Sam fails to perform and is booted he’ll claim it’s homophobia…and he’ll sue.

FORWARD!

workingclass artist on May 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM

College ball is more interesting…

PatriotRider on May 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I agree, but, I am starting to enjoy watching Roger Goodell at the helm of a multi billion dollar monster trying to maintain ratings/brand at the same time he’s being squeezed a different direction by the PC media. I hope there will be some interviews with Philadelphia Eagles fans on this latest, particularly the kiss.

butch on May 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Michael Vick IS a dog murderer! The only job ava to him should be janitor @ an animal shelter!
AS for Don Jones-his suspension is outrageous. I wonder if Jones would’ve been suspended had he tweeted something unkind about Tim Tebow.
We all know the answer.
The ONLY reason that Sam is in the NFL at all is because he’s banging another guy.
Were Sam ‘straight’ he would’ve never been picked.
To say that I am disgusted by that photo of Sam kissing his boyfriend…

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Jones isn’t owed a spot on the roster any more than Michael Sam is

Oh come on, you know that Sam was most certainly “owed” that spot. He is now “too big to fail” in the pre-season cuts. Because … ghey.

GWB on May 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Resist We Much on May 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Vick is a “dog murderer”, no doubt whatsoever.

obama is a dog eater.

In Indonesia they roast dogs, alive, daily, with people watching, and feed them to his compatriots.

No one does anything against it “because it’s just another culture”.

RWM is onto something very substantive. It speaks volumes about the PC hypocrites, all over the world, starting with the WH, with both obamas. That duck-face Michelle, with her impotent “#BringBackOURGirls is ridiculous, after Hillary/obama refused to label the terrorists, which not even AlQauida recognizes as their brothers, such.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Actually this put the whole story in a new perspective for me.
I think if I think of it from this angle, I support the NFL’s decision.

weedisgood on May 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM

You support a league that still suspends players for using weed even though it’s legal in Denver and Seattle. I’m surprised by you.

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM

No, you missed the point. Let me help you: Sam, we don’t want to attract any unnecessary controversy during the draft selection, so when you are picked, please treat the media like you are in a job interview. Keep it professional, folks will admire it for you. Thanks Sam.”

See, you prevent the provocation, instead of pistol whipping the first person to not toe the PC line.

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

DRayRaven on May 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Nope! He’ll be Tebow’d in some manner. Either cut next year and passed around by teams for a couple of years or given a front office job.

He is a very good college player but that only gets you to the taxi squad.

Vince on May 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Wait just a minute? You’re saying Jones has no sense of discretion? Really? He’s the young football player without any discretion in all this? Not the guy who licked cake off his boyfriend’s face in a “look at me you guys I’m super ghey and in your league and in you face now!” moment? Really?

Please tell me you were just trying to see if anyone is reading your whole post.

Wisdom_of_Homer on May 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out– Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out– Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out– Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me–and there was no one left to speak for me.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Roger Goody has made it clear the NFL is the National Democrat Talking Point League…

I’m gonna make it clear hell will freeze over before I watch another game.

harlekwin15 on May 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Actually this put the whole story in a new perspective for me.
I think if I think of it from this angle, I support the NFL’s decision.

weedisgood on May 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM

You hardly ever think. Yesterday you thought, once, and I lauded you.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

He was hired by the Rams.

Dolphins are not the Rams.

Bob from Ohio on May 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I don’t “do social media” so help me out here…

Posting a tweet is different from speaking in a loud voice, how, exactly? Actually, depending on the number of people that chose to read your tweet, it might even be equivalent to a whisper, or even to talking to yourself, right?

And note I said “people that chose to read your tweet”. They have to willingly and actively choose to read it, it’s not forced into their consciousness; it’s not spam. So actually, it’s more like speaking to a group of people that have chosen to come into your room to listen to you, isn’t it?

So a guy is punished by the league for speaking privately, to an indeterminate number of listeners who have chosen to be there and to hear him? And that’s appropriate, Ed?

bofh on May 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Fine. Someone in management might call me in and say something to me, but FINE me and send me to sensitivity classes? Get outta here.

( Man would I have a blast in those sensitivity classes tho.)

Cleombrotus on May 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM

harlekwin15 on May 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I’m with you, I am done with the NFL. College football is more fun. The NFL is just another PC organ of the progressive media.

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM

So a fine seems reasonable, and a lengthy session of butt-chewing does too.

No it doesn’t.

David Blue on May 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I supported the sanctions against Sterling because his comments, combined with his notorious past behavior, posed a threat to the team and the fans if nothing had been done. This was an unusual situation, a one-off. I don’t see it as a freedom of speech issue, but a business and public safety issue. Many probably disagree with me about that. But the point is that NO decent person defends what he said.

This football thing isn’t a freedom of speech issue either. Obviously, neither Sam nor Jones broke any laws. But since when can reasonable people not be allowed to disagree anymore? And if Sam is such a princess that he can’t take a OMG – Horrible! in a tweet, how is he tough enough for the NFL for Pete’s Sake!

Is Jones getting sent to a re-ed camp for the good of the NFL? Really? Think ticket sales or viewership will improve?

ncinca on May 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Not trying to argue with you but who’s to say that didn’t happen and sam said “Screw you” in his mind to the league. The whole cake and tongue kissing thing looked staged and then to say “I should have been drafted earlier” – does not bode well for the NFL – sam is going to be a “look at me distraction”.

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM

You hardly ever think. Yesterday you thought, once, and I lauded you.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

That wasn’t nice.

I’m sure he thinks about weed more than once a day.

Bigbullets on May 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM

He was hired by the Rams.

Dolphins are not the Rams.

Bob from Ohio on May 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Don’t ruin Ed’s illusion with trivia like that. He had a point to make… somewhere… I think.

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

This is a suspension in name only. Sure he will miss a couple days of offseason activities, but will not miss any games.

DaveO on May 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Actually this put the whole story in a new perspective for me.
I think if I think of it from this angle, I support the NFL’s decision.

weedisgood on May 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM

You hardly ever think. Yesterday you thought, once, and I lauded you.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

He’s “thinking from the angle” he reclines at on the couch in his Mom’s basement.

slickwillie2001 on May 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

None rejoice more than the Islamists.

They are saving bullets, energy, sacrificial bodies…why bother, if the West self-destructs?

These times will be looked back at as “the destruction of Western freedom, self-made”.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I can tell you the starting WR/TE groupings for most teams going back to 1979….

The late 70s-late 80s NFL was probably the best football that will be played in my lifetime. Watching the 49ers, Bears, Chargers etc etc was watching professional players who were together for many years and gelled to the point they KNEW where the others would be at any given point on a play. There was a greater diversity in offensive and defensive systems and a no-nonsense attitude WRT performance.

Plan B free agency started the death of the units and professionalism and the last five years of the NFL making it plain that despite my decades of loyalty they are bound and determined to help wave a democrat donkey wang in my face has convinced me to go enjoy so long as it lasts College Football.

harlekwin15 on May 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

“in fairness”….

and

“this is not as bad as it seems”

harlekwin15 on May 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM

None rejoice more than the Islamists.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

They are trembling at our fully armed and operational twitter hashtags

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM

So a fine seems reasonable, and a lengthy session of butt-chewing does too.

I see what you did there. That, or it was an incredibly poor choice of words for an article about a gay football player.

bofh on May 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM

VegasRick on May 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Then punish Sam for unprofessional conduct. Publicly, punishment could have been for the draft placement comment. Privately, it should have been both. Not just the guy that was disgusted by it. Tell me, how many other draftees smeared cake and licked the face of their significant other on draft day? Is that ok just for gays?

Sam is a “look at me” distraction, will be for the next two years, until he quietly fades away. That is my bet.

captnjoe on May 13, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Just think how many people will watch the Rams games just to see Sam get his a$$ handed to him. Their ratings will soar.

Then people will realize that the players are going to have to be gentle with him or risk getting fined and sent to sensitivity school.

Why do people have to “come out” and why do others have to react to that in a correct manner?

Vince on May 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM

So a fine seems reasonable, and a lengthy session of butt-chewing does too.

You’re over-analyzing here by trying to treat the fine as a separate question, and rather foolishly. The fine doesn’t take place in a vacuum. He reacts with disgust, and is slapped with a fine AND forced to make an obviously scripted apology referencing (rather hilariously, and in pure corporate-speak) the undefined ‘values’ of the Miami Dolphins AND suspended AND sent to re-education. Sure, they called it “education,’ but it’s clearly re-education of what you are and are not permitted to speak and say.

The reasonable response to what Jones said would be a statement from a Dolphins spokesman saying that Jones does not speak for the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins could even go so far as to add all kinds of nice words about how ‘inclusive’ they are. Anything more than that is not reasonable at all, but a company trying to muzzle someone else’s speech, when they’re the ones that have a problem with the statement.

No, this is direct punishment for transgressing a speech code, and it’s disgusting. The fact that it’s a technically private organization may prevent it from being a First Amendment issue, but his freedom of speech is very clearly been deprived, and that’s wrong whether it’s done by a government or a company.

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Ed is not some RINO!!1!!!eleventy!!!1!!!1!1.

It’s possible to disagree with someone without purging them.

gwelf on May 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM