Confirmed: First-born siblings are more conservative

posted at 4:41 pm on May 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

Knowing this, plus the fact that men with sisters also tend to be more conservative, makes me think Obama’s younger sister must be a full-on communist.

Fun fact: Jeb Bush is seven years younger than George W. Bush, the guy who signed TARP, increased the deficit, and tried to pass a massive immigration reform bill. Gulp.

“We suggest that differences in conservatism between firstborns and second-borns stem from different strategies of optimizing the parental resources children can gain in the family system,” study researcher Daniela Barni, a psychologist at the Catholic University of Milan in Italy, told Live Science…

In 1997, psychologist Frank Sulloway expanded on the theory in his book, “Born to Rebel: Birth Order, Family Dynamics, and Creative Lives” (Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group, 1997). Sulloway suggested that firstborns are used to being dominant and prefer to uphold the status quo, while second-borns, looking for a unique niche to fill in their families, take a path of rebellion. Firstborns also stick to a conservative path in order to align themselves with their parents, Sulloway argued…

The results of this analysis partly supported Sulloway’s theories. Firstborn children were, indeed, more conservative on average. However, they were not more likely to be influenced by their parents’ levels of conservatism than their younger siblings, suggesting that older kids aren’t taking on a conservative personality in order to throw in their lot with Mom and Dad…

“Firstborns, having experienced the undivided attention and care of their parents, and being stronger and more intellectually developed than their younger siblings, occupy a dominant position,” she said. “Thus, they tend to safeguard their status advantage by developing conservative values helping them to uphold the status quo.”

Sulloway’s research also showed that first-born (i.e. more conservative) siblings tended to have higher IQs. Which means you’re now fully armed to approach your liberal friends and inform them that not only is their “enlightenment” merely an artifact of being whiny and deprived of attention in childhood, they’re also objectively dumber. They’ve got brains a third the size of ours. It’s science.

To illustrate the point, here’s Democratic Rep. Joe Garcia, who I’m guessing is a third- or maybe even fourth-born sibling. Exit question: Show of hands, commenters — how many of you growing up saw the “first-born conservative” phenomenon in your own homes? *Raises hand*

Comments

Well, DUH. We’re the ones who have to take responsibility for everything when it hits the fan.

Tom Servo on May 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Perfect pic for the post…

mjbrooks3 on May 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM

My circumstantial evidence aligns with this finding.

More research is needed.

Good Lt on May 13, 2014 at 4:44 PM

And that’s Jeb Bush’s problem. He’s antagonized the base on hot-button issues such as immigration and the Common Core curriculum, without trying to persuade anyone he’s conservative enough. He even presented Clinton with an award on the eve of the first anniversary of the Benghazi attack.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Confirmed: First-born siblings are more conservative

I knew there was a reason I liked Dubya more than Jeb.

In all seriousness, this is definitely not an across-the-board rule. I have an older brother who’s an Obama-loving, Warren-worshipping Democrat. Suffice to say, we don’t get along.

Stoic Patriot on May 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Hmm, the implications here are, that genetics play a role in who a person turns out to be, that must be a racists concept. Will Obama be telling us soon, that genetics acted stupidly?

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Yup…and I’m doing everything in my power to make sure my little brothers don’t go to the dark side!

nextgen_repub on May 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Yeah…I’m way more conservative than my little sis and bro. Although I am not even sure if they vote lol.

terryannonline on May 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I got 3 brothers. We’re all conservative.

dforston on May 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I am the youngest of three. Both of my older brothers are flaming liberals.

Mark1971 on May 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM

And his own research lays out a clear cause-and-effect relationship.

“Sulloway’s research also showed that first-born (i.e. more conservative) siblings tended to have higher IQs.”

Quite obviously, this is WHY we are more conservative. Now of course a lot of us have smart younger siblings, and we’re glad to have you on board with us.

Tom Servo on May 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM

I’m the oldest of six, four boys and two girls. I am conservative/libertarian. My brothers are conservative, while my sisters are lefties, although the younger of the two is getting more centrist as she gets older. The third brother is the most conservative of the four of us.

Mr. D on May 13, 2014 at 4:49 PM

As a first born conservative from a liberal family, I can attest to this..

melle1228 on May 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Middle siblings are more conservative. They don’t have a defined role to fill and therefore think for themselves.

Thinking independently will inevitably lead you to conservatism – it may be later in life, but it will get you there.

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM

This is a slow news cycle, huh? Waited just long enough for this topic to clear the headlines before shooting it down to the main page.

Bishop on May 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Nope. Not true…. I’m second and my Sister is a screaming liberal…

sandee on May 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM

That one is easy for me. There were no conservatives in my home when growing up.

Bitter Clinger on May 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Second look at the right of primogeniture?

derit on May 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Not in my family. My older siblings are all libs. They went to college in the 60′s.

fight like a girl on May 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I’m the youngest of six kids, and the only boy.

Guess that makes me a radical conservative….and a brat.

MichaelGabriel on May 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Not sure how much stock you can put in this, AP.

I’m the youngest in my family, and by far the most Conservative. My two oldest Brother (Early 50′s) at *best* are classic Democrats; My sister (50) (Ivy League Masters) is Progressive Lite, but still open to debate and mind changes…(gave her copies of Thomas Sowell, Ben Carson & Allan West books for her birthday and I know she’ll read them. My OTHER brother (late 40′s) is a NPR Libertarian (sigh)…and my Mom is 100% neutral, as she hasn’t voted at all in decades.

I campaigned for Reagan during the 80′s and would consider myself in the Reagan Conservative/Tea Party with a dash of Libertarian leanings. But as stated before, the Libertarian Party itself has a lot more maturing to do, especially since the Paul-bots and their minions have been on the scene.

BlaxPac on May 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I admit I laughed when I saw the photo.

Pincher Martin on May 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Nope. Not true…. I’m second and my Sister is a screaming liberal…

sandee on May 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Yup, my older sister is a marking at the moon Obama loving bat shite crazy liberal as well.

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Bishop on May 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM

What’s going on in Nebraska and West Va?

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM

OOF!

workingclass artist on May 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM

The real problem with Jeb, though, is not that he’s George W. Bush’s younger sibling, but that he’s Dubya’s identical twin in politics. There’s essentially no difference between the two men.

Pincher Martin on May 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM

*raises hand*

Midas on May 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Populism has reached fever pitch. It’s getting hot in herre let’s take off all our clothes.

coolrepublica on May 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Bishop on May 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Yet the Globull Warming thread in the headlines, 235+ comments… remains in the headlines… Go figure, it must not fit the HotAir political agenda.

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I’m the youngest of six kids, and the only boy.

MichaelGabriel on May 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I extend my condolences…

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Obama has a younger sister? He sure doesn’t hang out with his relatives, even the ones here legally or the half-ones who set up bogus charities.

All we ever hear about Obama’s family is the stories in his two books about composite characters and stories of his racist grandmother. Yet, outside the Yeti and the brats the only kin we see around Obama is that vile crude creature that birthed the Yeti and nearly got the royal entourage kicked out of that hotel in China.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM

President Barack Obama has a total of ten half-siblings from his mother’s two marriages, his father’s four, and another two from his former stepfather, Lolo. He is the third eldest of the ten.

First family

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM

You know what is really scary thought…..a lot of Americans don’t vote…..and I would venture to say the ones that sit at home are probably more liberal leaning.

What if they decided to get off their couch? Cringe.

terryannonline on May 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM

BS, youngest of 3 and far more conservative than my 2 older sisters.

bernzright777 on May 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

What if they decided to get off their couch? Cringe.

terryannonline on May 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM

One of the Democrats’ big ideas is that voting be made compulsory.

Pincher Martin on May 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

where is libfree and coolrepubica on this?

bernzright777 on May 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM

What if they decided to get off their couch? Cringe.

terryannonline on May 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I think we saw that in ’08 and ’12.

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I’ve got a twin, Grouchy Nomad. He’s become more conservative over time. I’m more of the social conservative. Our two younger brothers- Obama supporting liberals in every sense of the word. It’s gotten to the point where we cannot even talk about much of anything at family gatherings.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM

One of the Democrats’ big ideas is that voting be made compulsory.

Pincher Martin on May 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Ugh.

terryannonline on May 13, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Huh. My sibs and I are boomers raised in a small mid century Catholic family; our dad died young; raised by our widowed mom.

Oldest brother; Obama voting atheist (married late to a somewhat-practicing Catholic wife).

Middle brother: Obama-voting atheist (married late to a semi-practicing Catholic wife).

Me; devout churchgoer and somewhere to the right of Ghengis Kahn, married very young to a Southern Baptist husband who converted.

So … what?

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Definitely true in our family. As an example, when we watched Tom and Jerry, the oldest brother was rooting for Tom and the younger 3 brothers always rooted for Jerry. So the first born status probably causes both an authoritarian and conservative bent to the personality.

cimbri on May 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM

One of the Democrats’ big ideas is that voting be made compulsory.

Pincher Martin on May 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

What ever is not compulsory shall be forbidden.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM

His former stepfather’s kids from another marriage can only be described as his former step-siblings, not his half-siblings.

Unless of course he was adopted by his stepfather. ;)

Missy on May 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I extend my condolences…

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM

I learned to tune out all the constant chattering.

It was when things got eerily quiet that I knew to be very, very afraid (and hide).

MichaelGabriel on May 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I’m the youngest of six kids, and the only boy.

MichaelGabriel on May 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I extend my condolences…

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Heh heh heh, I bet he was very popular with his buddies though…

oscarwilde on May 13, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Doesn’t apply in my family. I’m the middle of three. My sister is 10 years older (mid-50s) and a totally loony-tune liberal. My younger brother and I are only 15 months apart, and we’re both conservative, although my bro is more fiscal con/social moderate, while I’m a born-again church girl and more conservative in general. Our father(s) weren’t around, and our mom was as old-school conservative as they come.

One funny thing about my sister, though. Flaming liberal that she is, she’s a gun owner and swears no one will ever take her guns from her! We try to tell her how incongruent that is, but she won’t hear it. She really believes her patron saint Obama would never grab her guns.

KKinFLA on May 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

So … what?

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I would suggest that the early death of your father makes you an outlier in the theory. Particularly those of us old enough to remember what a traditional family looks like with a mother and a father that can’t use the same public restroom.

My mom had a similar upbringing to yours. She was young enough when her father died that she has no memories of him. My grandmother raised her and my uncle as a widowed teacher.

My mom is conservative but my Uncle (who was ten years older) turned into a very bitter individual who lost all faith. I don’t know what his politics were but they were decidedly not conservative. All in all he was a very unpleasant person. Only very late in life did he say something that put it all in perspective. When his dad died, he kept being told that he was the man of the house now. That’s a lot of pressure to put on an 11-year-old.

Perhaps your older brothers were fundamentally effected by the death/absence of a male role model in their lives.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

So much for Jeb being the smart one. If this theory is correct we should stay out of the Bushes in 2016. I have long thought that Jeb is nothing but a big squish.

shubalstearns on May 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM

KKinFLA on May 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Sounds like your sister is just old enough to have been influenced by the end of the hippie movement while you were more influenced by the Reagan era.

I don’t know what to make of her support of the Second Amendment other than to say that the left needs more people of her ilk.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM

well!….Jeb’s fcuked!

KOOLAID2 on May 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Studies show more anxious parenting devoted into firstborn, by the second child parents themselves grow up take a breather and relax. The bottle first heated to perfect body temperature is now tossed in the general direction of the crib. Cries of babies unattended, “he’ll quiet down on his own.” Studies show second born and the rest less inclined to follow parental advice and direction. Further, studies show parents pride themselves in believing they raise their children the same. The studies I mentioned were made in my mind, by observation as second of five and by seeing the pattern repeated. And if you disagree then you …. never mind.

bour3 on May 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM

This type of study is utter bull puckey, and has no, nada, relationship to conclusivity. All it shows is a non-causal relationship at best. Lay people take studies like this without the grain of salt they are meant to carry with them.

Long story short, I am quite conservative and my older brother is quite loony liberal. Also, my older brother tested in the average high (100-120) range on the IQ test we took in grammar school. I scored much higher in the 140-150 range. Same held true for my two daughters. Although they are both loony liberals, the older one scored in the 120-130 IQ range, while the younger one scored very high in the 150-160 range. My loony liberal ex-wife is the reason for their liberal insanity. But that’s what happens when you marry too young.

NOMOBO on May 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I’m the youngest of four, only boy, only conservative.
To be fair, two of them died before The Won was crowned.

Tard on May 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Today the status quo is liberalism.
Look at news media, entertainment media (including spectator sports), academia, & government.
We conservatives are the rebels.

itsnotaboutme on May 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM

bour3 on May 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Anecdotally, they should compare the number of pictures parents have of each of their kids from the first year.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Although last in line, there are enough years between me and the middle that I’m more or less a re-start. The eldest is somewhat conservative, but she is still living in the People’s Republic of New York and I bugged out of there as fast as I could get a job somewhere else outside of the various People’s Republics.

I have this feeling I’ll have to do that again pretty soon for the same reason.

As for the rule of thumb on first born children: YMMV. Remember they are the kids that have to break in their parents.

ajacksonian on May 13, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I was typing and the whole thing disappeared. I had to log back on. I think studies like these are an easy way for someone to do a paper for college. I’m the oldest and most conserative although I frankly don’t know what my brother is now that Obungle has shown his true colors to everyone. I haven’t seen him supporting the White House gang on Facebook lately. I don’t know what my little brother was or what he would be now if he had lived beyond 35. I don’t argue politics with family. All that does is alienate people to no purpose since they rarely change their minds. I did send my idiot brother an email once. I said, “You are a white, male, small business owner. They don’t like you”. I didn’t hear back on it.

My parents came from another time. My mother just voted Dem because that’s what they did in her family. My father wasn’t interested in politics at all. I never heard him talk about it.

crankyoldlady on May 13, 2014 at 5:49 PM

My oldest sister and my oldest brother are very conservative. The youngest sibling has turned into an Obama loving imbecile.

CW on May 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM

The youngest sibling has turned into an Obama loving imbecile.

CW on May 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM

The baby of the family? Trying to crawl back into the womb?

I’ve got one of those.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I’m the older of 2. My brother is a pot-brained Naderite.
y’all know MY views.
My husband is also a first born. His middle sib-he’s the eldest of 5-is also very conservative.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM

KKinFLA on May 13, 2014 at 5:22 PM

My brother is also very pro second amendment.
It’s the ONLY issue that we agree on.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2014 at 5:59 PM

The baby of the family? Trying to crawl back into the womb?

I’ve got one of those.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM

That…and that he was kept more of his life than anyone. That includes those that he “dated” that took care of him even after he left home.

CW on May 13, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Anecdotally, Facebook proves to me that no one is as boring as first time parents of a new-born with a digital camera.

10,0000 pictures in the first year, all identical.

Only grandmas care, and even then, I have a hard time getting excited about the difference between a picture of my last grandson on day 63 and day 64.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 6:10 PM

So if you abort your firstborn, does the next child become your “firstborn” or stay as the second born? I look forward to some high minded liberal think pieces on this, as purely hypotheticals of course.

JeremiahJohnson on May 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM

CW on May 13, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Sounds just like my youngest brother. He’s very charming. He’s had inexplicable breaks based on that fact. He never graduated college but his social media resume says that he has a degree. IMO, at some point all these lies will catch up with him.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Hand raised.

Chuck Ef on May 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM

No…No…..no.

You can’t be a liberal and be THAT stealthy.

WryTrvllr on May 13, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Last of 4: 2 older sisters. I think that goes with psychosis.

WryTrvllr on May 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Hand raised.

Chuck Ef on May 13, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Hand raised.
My late dad was a first born. He was to the right of Attila the Hun. His sister is a whiny baby boomer hippie type.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Tom Servo on May 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM

‘zactly.

Theworldisnotenough on May 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I’m the youngest of six kids, and the only boy.

Guess that makes me a radical conservative….and a brat.

MichaelGabriel on May 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Hey Michael! I resemble that remark : )

I am the youngest of seven, and the only girl!!! Hence my nickname but I’m not really spoiled.

And I am the most conservative. Oldest bro is liberal. The other five are conservative.

Brat on May 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Youngest of two here. Older sister presently lives in Seattle near the U of W, is an artist and writer, studies philosophers, loooooves anything European and wants to live in England. Myself: ardent Reaganite, support of all things Palin and Cruz, love the USA and want to keep living in Western Washington state so I can annoy the heck out of liberals. I think it’s pretty clear who’s more conservative in our family.

theotherone on May 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Ummmm. Yeahhhhh. This thread debunked itself

Brock Robamney on May 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I am the oldest of 2. We’re both conservative. Dh is the youngest of 6 (5 that lived to adulthood). Oldest is conservative. Number 2 could have been a conservative (she goes to an evangelical church), but she’s a teacher, and I think hanging out with a bunch of leftists just left her confused. Next one is very conservative, and #4 is more apolitical. And then there’s dh, who is very conservative. However, he didn’t start off that way — he was more centrist when we married, and I’ve been pulling him to the right ever since.

CJ on May 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I’m the oldest of four boys. You’d have a hard time discerning who was more conservative between the three older ones. The youngest is probably going to be the same, but he’s still in high school. My dad is a solid conservative. My mom votes republican.

My moms side of the family (7 sibs) is a bunch of flaming liberals with the exception of an uncle that my dad helped raise.

My dad’s side (5 sibs) is conservative. 3 (including dad) are solid conservatives. The youngest is also, but I’ve kind of lost contact with her. The most liberal of them is the second, but he’s more of a Ron Paul libertarian lately.

ritewhit on May 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I’m an only child … 56 and very conservative now, didn’t pay much of any attention to politics when I was a teen. My dad died when I was only 2, but from what my mom always told me about him, he was a very devout Catholic and seemed to be on the conservative side, although I didn’t know his political views. My mom was equally devout and very conservative, as was her family and two out of three of my male cousins.

Met my hubby when we were both 16, and although we weren’t married until about 10 years later, he’s been a conservative all his life. He’s the second-oldest, and has been very politically astute since he was a kid, even having a bumper sticker that said “Nixon now, more than ever” when he was 12. His dad was a flaming liberal and would vote for anyone with a “D” next to his or her name, no matter what. While he was alive, my father-in-law and my hubby would get into some heated arguments, and there was basically nothing you could say to my FIL that would cause him to even consider another viewpoint, facts be damned.

My hubby’s older brother is somewhat conservative, but that’s where it stops. His only sister is very liberal and his youngest brother, when he pays attention, has been heard to utter a couple conservative opinions here and there, but is in general apolitical.

PatriotGal2257 on May 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

This concept played out exactly like the research in my house. Both of my parents are old school Democrats. I have two younger sisters. My oldest sister leaned conservative for many years up until about 2004 when she apparently fell victim to BDS or something. Since then, she has leaned ever more left. My youngest sister has always been the so-called “rebel” of the three of us. She is ultra-liberal and was a spoiled brat growing up. That is something else I think deserves to be researched. The link between spoiled brat and liberal ideology.

brian448 on May 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I came from a default Dem home with an older brother who started out pretty conservative and I was much more liberal. But as we got older, while I saw the conservative light, he, while retaining his personal conservative lifestyle, became more and more politically liberal, I’m now talking Elizabeth Warren worshiping. He’s smart and successful (way more than me), but politically he’s a lost cause.

ncinca on May 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM