Ben Sasse: “Absolutely,” I could support Mitch McConnell for Senate majority leader

posted at 1:21 pm on May 13, 2014 by Allahpundit

Smart politics from the likely Republican nominee for Senate in Nebraska, although some of the grassroots righties in his base might disagree. We’ll find out in the comments thread. To refresh your memory, Sasse’s saying this of a guy who declared war on tea-party outside groups months ago:

“I think we are going to crush them everywhere,” Mr. McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, said in an interview, referring to the network of activist organizations working against him and two Republican incumbents in Kansas and Mississippi while engaging in a handful of other contests. “I don’t think they are going to have a single nominee anywhere in the country.”

Some of those same groups spent well over a million bucks on Sasse in Nebraska. A Super PAC tied to McConnell, meanwhile, spent $100,000 trying to defeat him. Now, with the tea partier poised for victory, it’s time to extend the olive branch. Matt Lewis sees this as a sign that Sasse is more likely to be a Marco Rubio in the Senate than a Ted Cruz, someone who’ll be reliably conservative on most issues — but maybe not all? — while not rocking the boat too hard by spearheading any doomed shutdown-related efforts. To quote Sasse himself, “I’m for better conservative ideas and more winsome persuasion, and getting to a majority. So obviously, I’m a team player.”

Forget Rubio and Cruz, though. I think his model vis-a-vis McConnell is Rand Paul, another guy who started out as an enemy of Mitch in a Senate primary but who quickly made nice with the establishment and is now poised to be a serious player in 2016. If Paul, who’ll win tons of tea-party votes in the presidential primaries, can get away with endorsing McConnell over a tea-party challenger in the Kentucky Senate primary, Sasse surely can get away with saying he’ll support McConnell for majority leader if he’s the consensus choice of the caucus. And why wouldn’t he? There’s no sense at this point in needlessly antagonizing the man who’ll be handing out committee assignments next year. In fact, signaling that he’s ready to cooperate with McConnell might even help Sasse at the margins in tonight’s primary: Tea partiers aren’t going to abandon him now, and some of the fencesitters in the rest of the party who don’t want to vote for another Ted Cruz might take this as a sign that Sasse is a safe-ish choice after all. It’s all upside for him, in the short-term at least. If he ends up joining the Gang of Eight and sponsoring an amnesty bill, though, look out.

Exit question: Remember when tea-party favorite Marco Rubio “forgot” to thank the tea party in his 2010 victory speech? Heh.

Comments

I guess Ben Sasse is not going to be Senator Ben Sasse after all. Two words you don’t dare say to tea party are “team player and Mitch McConnell.” he said them together. He is about to lose the hot air primary and soon the real one.

It was nice knowing you Sasse. Sasseee you later.!

coolrepublica on May 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM

T axed
E nough
A lready

It’s the TEA party.

Also, what’s so funny? Rubio is a liar, like Charlie Crist and obama.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM

There is not going to be a Republican take over of the Senate this year… Stop your delusions folks… At best Republicans are going to net gain 2 to 3 seats… But it is not really that important to win the Senate… The most important thing and by far is to keep the House and the Republicans have over 90% chance of keeping it… The 2014 elections was, is, and will be about the House not the Senate…

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM

The Castro brothers are missing an idiot.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM

We’ll see….the national coverage of the Nebraska race has been pretty bad. Most Republicans didn’t care for the Tea Party coming in and trying to buy the election for Sasse…of course he doesn’t need most Republicans, only about 40% of the ones that show up at the polls..

LukeinNE on May 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM

The Castro brothers are missing an idiot (not Rubio).

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

What Tea Party? There is no official party called the tea party…

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM

If Paul, who’ll win tons of tea-party votes in the presidential primaries,

Put the bong down AP. Rand is burning those votes away with this absurd strawmen.

nobar on May 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

The Rs don’t deserve to take over the senate, much as I wish it on obama.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

*his.

nobar on May 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Meh. Just smart politics. Don’t make an enemy of the guy who’s going to control what committee assignments you’ll get — when you haven’t even been elected yet.

rbj on May 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

RCP has KY as a toss up state.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Where’s the HA reeducation gulag…?

d1carter on May 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Dinsdale is supposed to be charging hard.

butch on May 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Do like Mitch does, say anything until you get elected….

d1carter on May 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Meh. Just smart politics personal ambition tactics. Don’t make an enemy of the guy who’s going to control what committee assignments you’ll get — when you haven’t even been elected yet.

rbj on May 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

FIFY

Mimzey on May 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

If Paul, who’ll win tons of tea-party votes in the presidential primaries,

nobar on May 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I’m in full agreement here. Rand Paul is so busy burning his TP and libertarian cred, I started wondering if he’s being blackmailed or threatened into it.

Rix on May 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

BTW, Mike Johanns became Sec of Ag right after he stopped ICE raids on Nebraska packing houses when they were hauling illegals out by the truckload. dubya could recognize a comrade in arms.

butch on May 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM

RCP has KY as a toss up state.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM

That will change real quick on the morning of 21 May when Bevin is out of the picture. He is siphoning votes from McConnell right now. Once the Primary is out of the way the numbers will adjust.

Johnnyreb on May 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Toss-up state

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

This literally makes me I’ll.

KMC1 on May 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

When did illegal immigration become the defining issue of the tea party? I thought it was about cutting spending more than anything else. That’s why I always called myself a tea partier.

Caiwyn on May 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Dinsdale is supposed to be charging hard.

butch on May 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM

He’s just trying to get away from Spiny Norman.

Occams Stubble on May 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM

FWIW, saying “Absolutely I could” is a whole dictionary of parenthetical qualifiers away from “Absolutely I will“.

as in…

Absolutely I could (if I have my frontal lobes removed and lose my ability to discern good from bad.)

Absolutely I could (if my constituents threaten me with boiling in oil if I don’t.)

Absolutely I could (if it is Opposite Day in the Senate.)

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Good answer. Politics ain’t beanbag, and it’s nice that someone can grasp the idea that conservatism is far more important than silly primary drama. Pity that his backers don’t.

The less internal division we have going into November, the better. In light of the nightmare 2016′s going to be in the Senate, we need to rack up a lot of wins this year.

KingGold on May 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

It’s the TEA party.

Schadenfreude on May 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM

No, that ridiculous acronym was made up well after the fact. It was named after the Boston Tea Party. It was never an acronym. And the tea party’s focus is on much more than just taxes.

Shump on May 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM

KingGold on May 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

You used the word “conservatism”. What does it have to do with Mitch McConnell?

Rix on May 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I have to go vote in this primary today.

Dinsdale was endorsed by the Omaha World Herald but he was still in third place a week or so ago I think.

I don’t know how this will turn out.

Dack Thrombosis on May 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Just because you keep copying and pasting this everywhere does not make it any more correct. I think that you are a genuine conservative rather than a troll moby- but I bet you or anyone else on here that the GOP wins at least a net of Four seats in November for the Senate..

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM

AirForceCane on May 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Smart politics from the likely Republican nominee for Senate in Nebraska

Agreed.

Bmore on May 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM

KingGold on May 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I’ll agree with that.

butch on May 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM

First the establishment GOP takes us for granted then our own team does it.Sasse,I hope you go down in flames.You are not the kind of Republican we need in the Senate.Lying scuzbucket!

redware on May 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I’ve been a Sasse guy from Day 1, and he hasn’t made me regret it yet. He’s going to be great in the Senate.

GOPRanknFile on May 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM

AirForceCane on May 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I greatly hope that you are right… I say 2 to 3 seats, someone else says at least 4 seats, we shall see… I hope that I am very wrong on this one…

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM

“I’m a team player.”

Those are words that deny me the ability to support this guy OR ANY OTHER gop candidate.

The republican leadership is corrupt to it’s core. They are whores of the Chamber of Commerce and are busy selling this country down the river in the name of money and political power.

Ted Cruz……BE WARNED…..We are listening for YOU going wobbly.

gop….DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

PappyD61 on May 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM

redware on May 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

So you would have had him take the bait on election day instead?

Bmore on May 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Caiwyn on May 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Illegal immigration is the true third rail of Republican politics… Anyone who talks about it other than mass deportation will be destroyed by the Republican base… That is the fact… So it is better for Republican politicians not to talk about it and leave the situation as it is, i.e. total chaos…

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 1:59 PM

gop….DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

PappyD61 on May 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Saying the GOP is dead three times in a row is not enough to kill it… You must say it seven times in a row with a 3 seconds pose each time you say it with a ominous music playing in the back ground… That will certainly kill the Republican party… And do not forget to cross your fingers and shut your eyes tight when you say it…

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

A get-along blame limited government types……kind of like McCain, Lugar, etc.

He’s already trying out on MSNBC to be their resident gop’er.

#FAIL.

PappyD61 on May 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I think the Republicans are following your instruction, except they use the word “amnesty” instead of “dead”.

Rix on May 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM

gop….DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.

PappyD61 on May 13, 2014 at 1:56 PM

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

If only.

PappyD61 on May 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Destroyed by the base? You mean conservatives will withhold money and votes for the overt promoters of legalizing of 20 or 40 million of low-skill law-breakers??

Nah, don’t worry- the Chamber will make sure ever’fings okay. Mitch and them is gonna crush them darn Neanderthal small-government types.

Dolce Far Niente on May 13, 2014 at 2:06 PM

The fact is Sasse is our best choice today. I don’t really care what anyone outside of Nebraska thinks. Our state; our choice.

NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM

It was nice knowing you Sasse. Sasseee you later
coolrepublica on May 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Come on. It’s not like we are trying to repeal Obamacare or cut the deficit or anything. Just give him a pass so he can work with Rand Paul to pass amnesty and squash voter ID laws

Brock Robamney on May 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM

someone who’ll be reliably conservative on most issues — but maybe not all?

“Reliably” general doesn’t come with a disclaimer.

bofh on May 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM

The fact is Sasse is our best option today. I voted for him based on his merits, not because of who did or didn’t endorse him. He’ll vote in the Senate similarly to the man he is replacing, Mike Johanns. If you don’t live in Nebraska, you are not seeing and hearing the truly awful ads from Shane Osborn.

NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM

If Paul, who’ll win tons of tea-party votes in the presidential primaries,

I guess my sensibilities are very different. I don’t see this happening at all – not if Paul continues on the f*cktarded path he’s been on the last few weeks…

And I don’t see conservatives turning out en masse in November – or in 2016 – to vote for whatever pieces of shit the GOP puts on the ballot – simply because they don’t have anywhere else to go…

I’m prepare to stand corrected if conservatives behave the way AP and the rest of the establishment continue to presume they will – that the GOP can do and say anything they want, be as egregiously like the Dems as possible, and – like blacks and the Democrats – conservatives will lapdogishly vote for GOP anyway. I just don’t see it from here; I think we’re actually finally to the point where conservatives no longer are content to be denigrated and taken advantage of. Maybe I’m wrong and we’re not there yet.

Midas on May 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM

KingGold on May 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Correct.

To those who say the senate doesn’t matter: #1 priority of Majority Leader McConnell and his team will be to delay, cripple, and defeat all federal judicial appointments from Obama.

Pretty important, and those who don’t think so are STUPID.

matthew8787 on May 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM

mnjg on May 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Ok, Madonna – which pose are we supposed to ‘vogue’ for 3 seconds at a time?

Midas on May 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Pretty important, and those who don’t think so are STUPID.

matthew8787 on May 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM

As opposed to the kind of STUPID that thinks Mitch will delay, cripple, and defeat all federal judicial appointments from Obama?

Yes, that would be the #1 priority for an actual leader – but will Mitch?

Midas on May 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM

NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Totally agree. And, those ads by Osborn make me cringe.

KateNE on May 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM

First, you have to be in the majority.

Second, McConnell has to be able to get enough overall support to be put in charge of the party delegation.

My guess is that there will be internal votes with one other R willing to seek to be the leader of the party delegation. Depending on who wins or loses this year will change who gets the final nod…and if R’s don’t take the majority then the leader of the party in the Senate who led up to that loss by internal in-fighting will face stiff resistance. Who knows, the R party may finally get rid of the idea of being led by fossils.

ajacksonian on May 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Caiwyn on May 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM

If you don’t comprehend the coming tsunami of city, county, state and federal tax increases that will follow the 30-50 million illegals in 10 years that virtually every bill being considered about immigration allow in then you need to educate yourself real fast. Over 90 per cent will be completely cared for and supported by state and Federal welfare programs….the comprehensive medical care they will be “entitled” to thanks to obamacare and the new schools and special education services needed alone will be enough to capsize most budgets. There are no jobs for these people….there are no jobs for most Americans. These “immigrants” are fleeing ” failed corrupt socialist governments… They have no love or understanding of our country or it’s form of governance and immediately demand and vote for US politicians that sound most like what they just fled from….corrupt socialist and communist politicians that promise the most free stuff. We will be a one party rule of socialism in 20 years after the leftist import their 75 million new voters…. So tell me again why immigration doesn’t matter….

Caseoftheblues on May 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I got this email…

John Boehner suggests he is thinking about retirement
image John Boehner told business leaders in San Antonio on Monday that he expects to be House speaker next year but is unsure if he will still be in Congress in November 2016.

I do not see how he plans to do amnesty and still be House Leader.

astonerii on May 13, 2014 at 2:53 PM

So you’ve got Sid Dinsdale who is a pro-abort moderate.
You’ve got Shane Osborn who’s managed to embarrass himself, is clearly McConnell’s favorite candidate and recently signed a genuine nativist ( opposed to legal immigration) pledge, but somehow Sasse’s “I’m a team player” statement totally disqualifies him?
I guarantee you Cruz will vote for Mitch for Maj. Leader, are people going to call him a RINO?

Also, comparing Sasse to Paul is stupid. The Weekly Standard doesn’t support Ronulans.

MWC_RS on May 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM

NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I am so sick and tired of the whole bloody thing! I watched Castle last night, and each and every ad slot was an endless procession of political ads. GACK!!!!

I voted “no” on every bond issue. Maybe Nebraska can squeeze a few million out of NU’s sports program to cover some of those expenses. (If you are not from Nebraska, you do not realize the scope of the heresy I just wrote.)

catsandbooks on May 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM

WHERE THE HELL WAS THIS POST BEFORE I VOTED THIS MORNING? Hopefully Brewer will oust Smith….

serenity on May 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM

What if McConnell loses ?

Lucano on May 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM

catsandbooks on May 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM

The ads, both in tone and number, have been a huge turn off. Sasse has stayed positive, much like Fischer did two years ago. And for the people complaining about Sasse not being conservative enough, a little perspective: I bet my family in my home state of Illinois would do anything to have a U.S. Senator like either of ours here in Neb. I’m counting my blessings.

NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM

NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I see 7-8 Sasse voters here. No Osborn voters. Dinsdale is little better than a Dem plant, a pinko Osborne/Buffet type.

I think the only surprise tonight will be the size of Sasse’s victory. I don’t think it will be close at all. Not that Sasse is that politically talented but he does fit the “type” for Nebraska voters. Osborn is down in flames after he got brutally Swiftboated but not enough Osborn deserters will flock to Dinsdale to make a big difference. Omaha has plenty of voters but the guy from Omaha never wins.

Dinsdale’s only chance was to pick up enough Osborn deserters to close the gap. I don’t think he peaked well enough or early enough to scoop up all the loose Osborn voters. It is very rare for the #2 guy to collapse soon enough or fast enough at the end of the race for the #3 guy to beat the #1 guy. It’s that way anywhere, not just in Nebraska.

Toocon on May 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Turtley turtley

Am I turtley enough?

Here, I’ll be even MORE turtley!

See, now I’m a RINO turtle!

Turtley turtley oink turtley

Diluculo on May 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Sasse has stayed positive, much like Fischer did two years ago. – NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Fischer got that $300K from Ricketts (whose creepy son is running for gov) only on the last weekend before the election. She just ran a few name-brand ads because she had no time or money for anything else. So her virtue in 2012 probably consisted in mostly not having enough money or time to get down in the muck with the two Tea candidates. Essentially, after the two AGs had utterly destroyed each other and made most of the state hate their guts for their annoying 24/7 boring-ass radio ads, all Fisher had to do was show up and not be one of those two guys. People seemed relieved that they didn’t have to vote for one of those annoying AGs that ran such negative campaigns. And so there was a certain Cinderella story aspect to Fischer’s win. Nebraska’s voters do elect a Cinderella every so often and they seem to work out about as well as any men who get elected.

In outstate, being a non-lawyer and a rancher had to make it easy for Fischer. Nebraska voters generally disdain voting for lawyers. I think it is worth noting that both of the Tea Party candidates lost in 2012 and Fischer, arguably with the least conservative record and campaign platform in 2012, still won it handily. 2012′s race was that rare exception to the rule above that the #2 rarely collapses fast enough for the #3 to beat the #1.

Best of all, the voters made AG Bruning cry. I have to say, he did it manfully and was a good sport campaigning for Fischer. But: a lot of people liked the way he lost especially since you could see it was killing him and that will help Bruning today. I don’t think the billionaire’s kid, Ricketts, can buy the governor’s desk today. Bruning has run a lot better 2014 campaign than that arrogant coronation operation he had in 2012. Besides, the only thing people remember about Ricketts is all his awful ads about being bald. And that ad with his kid is really awful. And that Ricketts ad with Palin endorsing him was so awful they pulled it off the air real fast, the one with Palin in a white leatherette biker girl outfit with the zipper halfway down her chest like some cheap stripper down on her luck. I only saw it twice and it disappeared. Brutal.

A hat tip to our HA hosts: this was the only website I saw that understood that both Tea Party factions lost badly in Nebraska in 2012.

Toocon on May 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM

So, what’s Sasse supposed to say–that he doesn’t care much for the sumbische?? Give the man a break; he hasn’t even won yet! I don’t think now would be the time to start trashing anyone–especially a potential colleague in the Senate. Sheesh….

Bob Davis on May 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Toocon on May 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM

For governor I voted for Foley, as fiscally conservative as a politician can get. Ricketts and Bruning both turn me off. But Bruning will end up being our governor, so I’ll have to deal with that. He’ll be decent enough.

NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM

But Bruning will end up being our governor, so I’ll have to deal with that. He’ll be decent enough. – NebCon on May 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM

He is a very talented crybaby. Almost in Boehner’s league.

After the voters backhanded him in 2012, he’s learned to be a lot more humble. He might do better than we expect, especially since we have such low expectations. Of course, there’s little doubt he’ll try to jump to the Senate later.

Toocon on May 13, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Gee Sasse,which team exactly do you intend playing for-McConnell’s crush the conseratives teamor ours? if you aren’t sure then I’m sure you don’t belong in the Senate!

redware on May 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I’ll be soo glad when this is over tonight. The GOPe needs to stay the fcuk outta’ NE and let us decide who we want…

OmahaConservative on May 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM