Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

House Republicans have no scheduled votes or hearings on ObamaCare, signaling a shift in the party’s strategy as the White House rides a wave of good news on the law.

Not a single House committee has announced plans to attack the healthcare law in the coming weeks, and only one panel of jurisdiction commented to The Hill despite repeated inquiries.

GOP campaign committees also declined to say whether they will launch any new efforts on the law.

The lack of action highlights the GOP’s struggle to adjust its message now that enrollment in the exchanges beat projections and the uninsured rate is going down.

***

But 51 percent of New Hampshire adults oppose Obamacare while just 37 percent support it, the University of New Hampshire Survey Center reported last month in a WMUR-Granite State poll. Sixty-one percent of the state’s voters think medical costs will increase under the act.

“The perception is, ‘it will hurt my family and costs will go up’,” said Andrew Smith, director of the center. “In a political campaign, that is a big boulder to push uphill.”

Skeptics include people like Derek Gagnon, a 33-year-old auto mechanic who says he would not even consider voting for anyone who had backed the Affordable Care Act.

He has no health insurance, but he also says he has no intention of signing up for the private insurance offered through the government-run website, HealthCare.gov.

“I shouldn’t be forced to do something like that in a free country,” said Gagnon, referring to the law’s requirement, known as the “individual mandate,” that almost all legal U.S. residents buy health insurance or pay a fine.

***

Democrats and Republicans agree on one thing about the hotly contested Affordable Care Act: When it comes to voter intensity, the GOP holds a clear upper hand.

But a trio of major liberal groups hopes to change that in coming months, with plans to spend tens of millions of dollars persuading residents in a dozen key states to vote for Democrats based on the issue. Whether they succeed could help determine not just control of the Senate but the fate of key gubernatorial races and the law’s viability.

The Service Employees International Union, the Planned Parenthood Action Fund and MoveOn.org have each launched campaigns in recent weeks aimed at mobilizing support for the law and the officials who back it. By focusing on more popular parts of the law — including Medicaid expansion, free birth-control coverage and a bar on denying coverage for preexisting conditions — the groups hope to coax individuals who often skip voting in midterm elections to make it to the polls…

The organizations now plan to apply that same machinery to the midterms, with a particular focus in states that did not expand Medicaid but have competitive gubernatorial or Senate races, such as Louisiana and Florida. They are shifting thousands of workers and volunteers who had been focused on enrollment to become steeped in Medicaid expansion. And they plan to return to the people they enrolled in coverage and ask them to vote.

***

Nearly half a billion dollars in federal money has been spent developing four state Obamacare exchanges that are now in shambles — and the final price tag for salvaging them may go sharply higher.

Each of the states — Massachusetts, Oregon, Nevada and Maryland — embraced Obamacare, and each underperformed. All have come under scathing criticism and now face months of uncertainty as they rush to rebuild their systems or transition to the federal exchange.

The federal government is caught between writing still more exorbitant checks to give them a second chance at creating viable exchanges of their own or, for a lesser although not inexpensive sum, adding still more states to HealthCare.gov. The federal system is already serving 36 states, far more than originally anticipated…

Their totals are just a fraction of the $4.698 billion that the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation calculates the federal government has approved for states since 2011 to help them determine whether to create their own exchanges and to assist in doing so. Still, the amount of money that now appears wasted is prompting calls for far greater accountability.

***

Despite Obamacare’s strong national enrollment numbers, several states are at risk for big premium hikes

Premiums will go up, on average, across the board—premiums go up every year. But a range of factors could drive higher-than-average increases in certain places. States that fell short of their overall enrollment goals, and where the people who did enroll are mostly older and sicker, are more at risk for large premium hikes. So are states that don’t have much competition among insurers.

“If you lose on all of those, then you’re really looking bad,” Pearson said…

Ohio and Arizona, both of which allowed plan extensions, are on Levitt’s list of states to watch for big premium hikes. He and Pearson mentioned Iowa, which allowed a two-year extension for canceled plans and was the second-worst state at enrolling its eligible population.

Health care analysts are also keeping an eye on premiums in Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, and South Dakota, where officials had to beg and plead just to get one carrier into the state’s private market.

***

A majority of Americans want to keep the federal health care law as is, or make some changes to improve it, according to a new national poll.

But a CNN/ORC International survey released Sunday also indicates public attitudes have been largely unaffected by news that 8 million people have enrolled in health insurance plans under the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare.

Despite a victory lap by the White House following the release of that number, only 12% of Americans surveyed consider the law a success. Nearly half say it’s too soon to tell, and just under four in 10 consider it a failure.

According to the poll, 61% want Congress to leave the Affordable Care Act alone (12%) or make some changes to the law in an attempt to make it work better (49%).

***

Via Pew.

p1

***

In Kentucky, a new Marist poll conducted for NBC News finds that 57 percent of registered voters have an unfavorable view of “Obamacare,” the shorthand commonly used to label the 2010 Affordable Care Act. That’s compared with only 33 percent who give it a thumbs up – hardly surprising in a state where the president’s approval rating hovers just above 30 percent.

By comparison, when Kentucky voters were asked to give their impression of “kynect,” the state exchange created as a result of the health care law, the picture was quite different.

A plurality – 29 percent – said they have a favorable impression of kynect, compared to 22 percent who said they view the system unfavorably. Twenty-seven percent said they hadn’t heard of kynect, and an additional 21 percent said they were unsure.

“Call it something else, and the negatives drop,” said Marist pollster Lee Miringoff.

***

Via Pew.

p2

***

A law can do some good, of course, while not living up to the promises made about it. It cannot be denied that the law has made some people better off. The coverage expansion means that more Americans have the extra measure of financial security that comes from knowing that medical expenses will not drive them into poverty. That’s a real good, something the law’s critics have sometimes failed to acknowledge.

But Obamacare’s champions have greatly exaggerated what this good involves, and so what it should mean for our overall assessment of the law. During the battle to enact Obamacare, and subsequently, supporters have claimed that the expansion would save thousands of lives. A study of Oregon Medicaid recipients — the best such study we have — has instead found that coverage did not significantly improve any physical health outcomes. If the value of insurance is that it protects against financial calamity, then the approach of Obamacare is radically misconceived: We ought instead to have undertaken reforms to enable everyone to purchase catastrophic coverage. In other words, different policies could have achieved the good that Obamacare has done, at much lower cost. Or perhaps even more good, since the expansion has included fewer people than expected.

Obamacare’s near-death experience during the last months of 2013 has distorted the media’s treatment of the program, making it seem more successful than it is. From 2009 through mid 2013, the critics were not saying that the exchange websites would be a catastrophic failure. They were, by and large, taken by surprise as much as the administration was by their early dysfunction. Leaving aside those chaotic months, the picture of Obamacare today looks more like one the critics painted than the one supporters did: a lot of trouble for a small gain

For the law to be repealed in 2017 requires three things: Republicans have to remain committed to its repeal, they have to sweep the 2016 elections, and they then have to follow through on their pledges. That is not the way to bet. But it is still the right goal to work toward, given that the law is likely to have bad effects on American health care and governance and that its structure does not permit much constructive reform.

***

In the first look at how insurers plan to adjust prices in the second year under the federal health-care law, filings from Virginia carriers show they are opting for premium increases in 2015 that will pinch consumers’ pocketbooks but fall short of some bigger rate predictions.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

We found canned apricots and green beans that my grandmother put up in 1942 back in 1976. We ate them all except for one jar that had a puffy lid…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:21

PM

When cleaning out my parents’ house, we found a bottle of Mogan David wine in the back of the refrigerator. Who knows how long it had been in there. I opened it and my brothers and sisters and I each took a swig out of some paper cups. Most of us coughed or spit it out but none of us died.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Why’d you quit HGTV, darlin?

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Ummm? Because it’s All Gay All Day and now the Gaystapo have taken it over?

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Why is AoS down? The Server’s Fried and It’s All Your Fault
Be nice to Pixy and Andy when you see them…it’s been a rough Monday…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM

NSA?!?

kcewa on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Ooh. That sounds good.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:02 PM

So, I just got a call from a relative, they are organizing a
” meet” tomorrow evening ( it is urgent she says) to raise money for those Nigerian girls kidnapped by ” men ” .
I asked her why the money and she said I’ll know the details once I pledge my contribution .
Are other lefty broads organizing similar ” meets” elsewhere too ?

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM

EEww. I would never have tried that.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Ummm? Because it’s All Gay All Day and now the Gaystapo have taken it over?

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I have never watched it, always seemed like women’s tv to me…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Why’d you quit HGTV, darlin?

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM

The second set of twins.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Ratso just bit lady omaha on the chin. He came flying out of the bedroom…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM

OC:

This calls for the Emergency Kittehs:

Emergency Kittens
Emergency Kittens
@EmrgencyKittens

For when you need a kitten (or other type of cat) to cheer you up! STORE: http://bit.ly/1eFCYVk Submit Pictures HERE: http://trends-addict.com/submissions/

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Hey Spark (waving)

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I saw that earlier…Seems someone took him out of the country. (I had heard a while back family was fighting over who was going to take care of him —- apparently he can’t take care of himself any longer.)

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

What does she think they are going to do with the money. Liberals. They’ll hand over money to just anybody without thinking about where it’s going.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Are other lefty broads organizing similar ” meets” elsewhere too ?

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

You have to Pass the Bill to read it huh…

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

non-nonpartisan on May 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Ahhh…look, I’m just an idiot on this. Plain and simple, okay? But I’m concerned that I may have hurt someone else in the process of being that idiot.

I just want to make sure that if I have, I try to set that straight. That’s it.

I do have heavy load at school this week, so I can’t do the late nights.

But I’ll see y’all later, unless hawkdriver sends me an email otherwise.

Goodnight everyone.

lineholder on May 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Psssch! Like Dear Mrs OC had a choice in the matter

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM

List them. This is when the Doc is needed.

Evening HA.

Nite lineholder.

Schadenfreude on May 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM

lineholder on May 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Niters and sleep well, LH. Things will work out, never fear.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Oh, yeh I heard a little about that.
btw, a freshly opened bottle of Mogen David will make you puke…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Since the girls are with Boko Haram, I think she is doing a fundraiser for Boko Haram ?
Daaayyummm!

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Hey Omaha, are there still large areas without power in your neck of the woods? I haven’t been able to get ahold of a friend there.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Ummm? Because it’s All Gay All Day and now the Gaystapo have taken it over?

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I have never watched it, always seemed like women’s tv to me…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Back in the late 80′s early 90′s I used to own a renovation company, and in college I worked my way through college as a landscaper, so I used to watch it. But it eventually got so gay I couldn’t stand it anymore. To watch HGTV you would think that only gay people buy houses or work on them anymore.

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

LOLZ!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Cute, but Ratso has big blue eyes…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I have never watched it, always seemed like women’s tv to me…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I don’t watch it because it’s all real estate all the time. There is some good stuff on their other channel DIY. It’s home improvements most of the time. Except I don’t get that channel. You can see some episodes on computer.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM

It always takes forever to get it all restored. Three years ago my next door neighbor was plugged into me for five days…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:33 PM

The second set of twins.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

…me too!

According to Towleroad.com, that HGTV was alerted to a Tuesday story by RightWingWatch.org, which looked into the background of the Benham brothers and found them to be “anti-gay, anti-Choice extremists.” A social media campaign quickly took flight to pressure HGTV to cancel the show

…and I’m not sure I’ll be watching NFL football in the fall…when looking at their reaction to twitter tweets!

KOOLAID2 on May 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM

lineholder on May 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Good evening, lineholder. :)

It was a lovely note and well intended. Ken’s a lot smarter than to let something said in passing keep him away, and he’s a pretty savvy guy. If he had any questions I’m pretty sure he’d just ask you. We all just come and go here as our schedules dictate.

Come back as soon as your schedule permits. You’re good company. :)

thatsafactjack on May 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Okay, I won’t get worried, yet.

Crud, past my bedtime again. Later…

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Best season finale EVER – the Blacklist is the best. I love shows with twists and turns and then even more.

Oh and I got nothing on politics tonight.

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Mmmm…meatloaf and spinach sammich…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM

They know from experience people stop watching programs with gays. Why do they keep doing it.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Hey, Koolaid Man! ‘Night!

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Oh and I got nothing on politics tonight.

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

No comment on the Chamber of Commerce telling the GOP, pass amnesty or don’t bother running a candidate in 2016?

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

But, didn’t you see that coming?

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

HI GG (waving)My gf swears by that show.

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Why do they keep doing it.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM

To wear us down. Seriously.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Fair enough, but where was Barack during the Benghazi attack?

SouthernGent on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Petting his goat ?

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Mmmm…meatloaf and spinach sammich…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:36 PM

You guys are making me hungry.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

If I’ve had bacon in the freezer for a year should I throw it out?

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 10:47 PM

One of Life’s most important Rules.

You never, ever throw out Bacon….

ToddPA on May 12, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Indeed.

If it’s not rancid, who cares how long you’ve had it in the freezer. The labels are a state thing, to prevent lawsuits.

If it’s gone bad, make soap out of it :)

ToddPA, what a difference “almost” makes :)

Schadenfreude on May 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM

kcewa on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

In partnership with the FCC was one theory what crossed my mind…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

seriously….I so agree with you.

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Sultans Unplugged

gh on May 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Ooops ..I need a drink I think.
Wrong thread !

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM

But, didn’t you see that coming?

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

I thought it was too obvious for the show. I’m not 100% convinced it’s true yet. I am still waiting for a twist.

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Fair enough, but where was Barack during the Benghazi attack?

SouthernGent on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Petting his goat ?

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Not a joke…in the senate today:

“Was the president asleep during those hours?” — Sen. Cruz

“We don’t know” – Sen. Menendez (who knows a thing, or two, about petting…)

Schadenfreude on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

G’night Fallon…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Nope I’ll get pissy about politics tomorrow. Tonight I’m all happy.

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Hey gg…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

SOS. Tired of hearing about it. Who said that when your enemy is committing suicide don’t interrupt him. Or something like that. The GOP has a death wish.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

HI GG (waving)My gf swears by that show.

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Great show keeps you guessing.

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Same here. Not much left except Turner Classic Movies, ME TV and local news at supper time.

cat_owner on May 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Hey gg…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Hello my friend. Did you escape the bad weather?

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Who knew milk chocolate sweetened with stevia could taste so good? We have these fancy Whole Foods chocolate bars on a stick from Easter, Lily’s is the brand name…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I just want to make sure that if I have, I try to set that straight. That’s it.

You are being way too hard on yourself. Calling yourself an idiot over this is not acceptable.

I do have heavy load at school this week, so I can’t do the late nights.

But I’ll see y’all later, unless hawkdriver sends me an email otherwise.

Goodnight everyone.

lineholder on May 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Goodnight. We hope you come back with or without an email from hawkdriver.

non-nonpartisan on May 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Good assessment..the Wife and Daughter watch it quite a bit.

The one show I watch is called Rehab Addict? I think that is
the title..a blonde who rehabs older homes.

ToddPA on May 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM

There’s a local station that has Highway Patrol. 1950′s Broderick Crawford. No cell phones. No flashing lights on the cars. They have to use people’s phones. It’s so neat. Sea Hunt is also on but it’s too early.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I am still waiting for a twist.

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Maybe, the parts weren’t the daughter. “Berlin” had an American accent and is old enough to be Liz’s father, if you want a possible twist. Red saved her from the fire and sent her to stay with Sam because she wasn’t the target, “Berlin” was.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Hello my friend. Did you escape the bad weather?

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Nope, I went out in it and stripped my shirt off. I just love radical storms like that. Put the cats in the basement, though…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Keep an eye out for this…taxdollars at work…teachers being indoctrinated for 15 years, at conferences, against “whitey” and against Capitalism…in the name of downing “racism”.

More to unfold all week, from recordings.

Follow this link all week – way more uncovered.

Schadenfreude on May 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Eli?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I love them old shows. Route 66 was a favorite…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Good assessment..the Wife and Daughter watch it quite a bit.

The one show I watch is called Rehab Addict? I think that is
the title..a blonde who rehabs older homes.

ToddPA on May 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM

One of my favorites. It’s a DIY show that is also on HGTV Thursdays. I want to be her. She is so energetic.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Yeah, at least Lizzie got to “off” the hubbie.

climbnjump on May 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Sounds like something RetroTV would play…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM

G’night Fallon…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

G’night. The storms are just starting up again. Lots of lightning and thunder. I love going to sleep in thunderstorms.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM

77 Sunset Strip. Very popular once. They should run it again.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Eli?

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Lily’s. It is wrapped in pink foil and on a stick…
Cellophane covers the plastic and it is tied with a bow…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

LOLZ!

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

OC:———————-:0

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I HATE going to sleep and there’s no thunderstorms.
*droughts turn people surly*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 12, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Not me. I have to get out in them, into the thick of things…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:50 PM

HI GG (waving)My gf swears by that show.

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM

CoffeeLover: A belated Good Evening:)

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 11:50 PM

To wear us down. Seriously.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

…my bride said several years ago “Does every show and movie…have to have a gay person or referral in it?”

KOOLAID2 on May 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Good assessment..the Wife and Daughter watch it quite a bit.

The one show I watch is called Rehab Addict? I think that is
the title..a blonde who rehabs older homes.

ToddPA on May 12, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Hey, nothing like 2 percent of the population dictating the morals of the other 98 percent.

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Hey CL, you still here darlin?

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Petting his goat ?

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

No, he was petting Reggie’s goat.

climbnjump on May 12, 2014 at 11:52 PM

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Hello (waving) to our Great Northern friend. :)

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I love them old shows. Route 66 was a favorite…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I used to live on route 66 in Santa Rosa, NM as a kid.

Chuck Berry Route 66

kcewa on May 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM

That’s like asking if’n every Edward Norton movie has to have hin im a nude scene…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Not a joke…in the senate today:

“Was the president asleep during those hours?” — Sen. Cruz

“We don’t know” – Sen. Menendez (who knows a thing, or two, about petting…)

Schadenfreude on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

This line by Menendez was even worse. “The bottom line is that, would that have saved anybody?

non-nonpartisan on May 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:51 PM

barely OC…Almost my betwitching hour :)

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Democrats really are children. We must never forget this.

non-nonpartisan on May 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

[quietly removes CL's Paul Mitchell Super-Skinny Anti-Frizz Serum...]

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM

non-nonpartisan on May 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

yup, his version of Hillary’s “what difference does it make”…sheesh

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Red and Lizzie are definitely related – how I don’t know.

I also think there is more to Sam’s story.

gophergirl on May 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I used to drive to California and back on Rt. 66. It was disappearing even then. Everytime I went more of the interstate would be there.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Democrats really are children. We must never forget this.

non-nonpartisan on May 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Poster children for “Spare the rod, spoil the child”…

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM

“Was the president asleep during those hours?” — Sen. Cruz

“We don’t know” – Sen. Menendez (who knows a thing, or two, about petting…)

Schadenfreude on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if we find out that the WH erupted into a celebration when the assassinations in Benghazi started streaming in.
BTW, black tea infused with toasted fennel, star anise and saffron tonite , DOTD :O

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

ho, ho, ho

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:54 PM

ok that went over my head!!!! I don’t have frizz or frizzy hair. Don’t need anti-frizz serum. It’s either that or past my bedtime gf LOL.

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM

EEww. I would never have tried that.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Google will find you a story about a ship that sank in a river in the late 1800′s and discovered over 100 years later… among the artifacts recovered were some canned food. An analysis concluded that even though the food lost color and flavor, it retained 95% of its’ nutritional value. Canned properly and kept in cool/ cold conditions, canned food lasts wayyyyy past any expiration date…

PointnClick on May 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Fred on May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Evenin’, Darlin’! Great to see you!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Ratso just bit my lip. He wants either the chocolate or the beer…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Car 54, Where Are You? theme

non-nonpartisan on May 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM

jrsrigmvr on May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

(waving) HI Fred. Hope you and the Mrs. are doing ok.

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM

or the beer…

OmahaConservative on May 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I’m going with that… Or the beer… <— Insert insolent laughter here…

oscarwilde on May 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM

CoffeeLover on May 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Witching Hour – Hair resembles an exploded Q-Tip…

Think of what one’s hair looks like after one steps off a broom… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Fair enough, but where was Barack during the Benghazi attack?

SouthernGent on May 12, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Petting his goat ?

burrata on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 PM

burrata:)
============

BILLY SQUIER – THE STROKE

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Elvis Costello – Pump it up

RickB on May 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM

“Was the president asleep during those hours?” — Sen. Cruz

“We don’t know” – Sen. Menendez (who knows a thing, or two, about petting…)

Schadenfreude on May 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM

We know he was talking to Bibi Netanyahu for a few hrs. Wonder when Bibi will speak?

kcewa on May 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM

CAUTION: Language and Music Warning…

We Are NOT “Always Alright”!…….

williamg on May 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM