Clay Aiken’s Dem primary opponent found dead in home, race was too close to call

posted at 8:41 pm on May 12, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Keith Crisco, the businessman and former state official challenging “American Idol” runner-up Clay Aiken in the Democratic primary for a Congressional seat died Monday in his North Carolina home. He was 70. The race between the two had been too close to call, with Aiken leading by 369 votes as the two men awaited an official canvas, according to the Asheboro Courier-Tribune:

Asheboro businessman and congressional candidate, Keith Crisco, died suddenly at his home today.

Information is incomplete; however, early information indicates he suffered injuries from a fall around 1 p.m. at his home at 1263 Thayer Drive in Asheboro. He was reported dead at the scene when emergency workers arrived there.

The Asheboro businessman had served as Commerce Secretary under Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue. Crisco did not concede on Election Day despite the close tally:

“This election is still very tight,” he said. “I want the elections’ officials to have an opportunity to tally the votes and provide a report on their canvass activities to allow all the campaigns a chance to see the final numbers. This has been a great campaign and I am very appreciative of my supporters and the hard work that the county boards of elections are doing at this time.”

Crisco would have been entitled to request a recount if the canvass had ended with a margin of victory for Aiken under 1 percent:

By Tuesday, the nine counties that fall at least partially within 2nd District will have concluded a certification of results that includes provisional and absentee ballots. The State Board of Elections will have to certify those results, board spokesman Josh Lawson said, but historically they have accepted county-level certifications.

If the new votes coming in push Aiken’s margin of victory within one percent, Crisco will have until 5 p.m. Wednesday to request a recount.

The general election in North Carolina’s 2nd Congressional District will pit the Democratic nominee against incumbent Republican Rep. Renee Ellmers.

Comments

Younger than Killary …

ShainS on May 12, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Hmmmmm……

Brock Robamney on May 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Vince Foster was unavailable for comment..

HotAirian on May 12, 2014 at 8:45 PM

A fall? What sort of “fall”?

JusDreamin on May 12, 2014 at 8:45 PM

How far from Fort Marcy Park? Downhill?

viking01 on May 12, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Aiken whacked him in the head with his feather boa, sending him down some stairs to his death.

WhatSlushfund on May 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Come on MKH! Not even an attempt at the driest of humor? We know you’ve got something!

BJ* on May 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Suffice it to say that this was not a great week for the Crisco family. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

That being said, what happens if it turns out that Crisco actually won?

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Sorry to hear this. I thought Aikens had been declared the winner.

cat_owner on May 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM

So, even if Clay Aiken loses, he wins… this is very suspicious and I hope the authorities are treating it as such.

ExpressoBold on May 12, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Aiken…Crisco? The jokes just write themselves.

phxconservative on May 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM

No sense in making light of the recently passed.

J.B. Say on May 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

…RIP!

KOOLAID2 on May 12, 2014 at 8:56 PM

He fell from the basement up into the parlor…

viking01 on May 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM

RIP

Also, Nomad:

Joshua Lawson, spokesman for the state Board of Elections, said that the vote certification process in North Carolina does not change because of Crisco’s death since it is prescribed by statute. The vote certification process will continue as scheduled on Tuesday and if the absentee ballots or voting errors put Crisco ahead of Aiken then the district executive committee of the Democratic Party would choose the nominee.

-ABC news

CW on May 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM

BJ* on May 12, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Don’t make her go ALL CAPS on your azz!!!

VegasRick on May 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM

I finished second once....and I ain’t gonsta do it again.…heh heh heh…..

–Clay Aiken

SARC!

ted c on May 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Told y’all there was a gay mafia.

…too soon?

libfreeordie on May 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

“If your opponent dies before he can ask for a recount does there have to be a recount ?”

———– Killary

viking01 on May 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I wonder if Killary was in the neighbourhood!!
(sarc)

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Even though I know nothing of the circumstances, this was obviously murder and Mr. Aiken obviously has the most to gain. He should be called in for questioning and held perhaps held until after the election.
Seriously, we could get an internet meme going here: Clay Aiken, trying to murder his way to power. Who will be next in his endless bloodlust?

V7_Sport on May 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

CW on May 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Thanks for the information. NC seems to have clean process for this. Lots of states would end up running the dead man or spending lots of time in lawsuits trying to evade the law to get a living human being on the ticket.

The only problem I have with NC’s laws is that a small group of political insiders get to pick the nominee instead of the electorate. In all likelihood they’d tee up Aiken as the nominee but there is no guarantee of that. It seems a little bit undemocratic to select a nominee this way.

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

They’d better do a very careful autopsy because there will always be conspiracy theories.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

he suffered injuries from a fall

Nowhere does it say that he died from accidental causes.

hmmmm…

faraway on May 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Told y’all there was a gay mafia.

…too soon?

libfreeordie on May 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

libfreeordie:

If this Gay Mafia exisits,..they would be Fabulously Lit Up Like
a Rainbow,…..someone in the neighbourhood would of noticed!!!!!

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I finished second once….and I ain’t gonsta do it again.…heh heh heh…..

–Clay Aiken

SARC!

ted c on May 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

ted c: Good to see ya Ted,..Lol:0

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM

OT: Sorry, caught MKH on BOR. She’s all on board with ESPN splashing homosexual kisses on a sports network.

BuckeyeSam on May 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Read that two or three times and let it sink in.

rogerb on May 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM

2014 US elections
North Carolina congressional candidate Keith Crisco dies
4h
Keith Crisco, Clay Aiken’s opponent in the too-close-to-call race for North Carolina congressional district, has died – @frankthorpNBC
end of alert
===============

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 3h

. @clayaiken’s campaign website is just a black background with his stmt RE: Keith Crisco’s passing:

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Clinton’s must want Aiken.

COgirl on May 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Any truth to the rumor Sebelius reflexively hopped a jet and headed to North Carolina?

viking01 on May 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I finished second once….and I ain’t gonsta do it again.…heh heh heh…..

–Clay Aiken

SARC!

ted c on May 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I heard an interview on local (DC) radio just after Aiken announced he was running. Renee Ellmers was polite and diplomatic about it but she pointed out that Aiken has a long history of finishing in second place. And face it, the only reason any of us know anything about the Dem primary race in NC-2 is because of the American Idol connection.

The only certainty is that if the margin of victory was less than 1%, Crisco will not be requesting a recount.

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I finished second once….and I ain’t gonsta do it again.…heh heh heh…..

–Clay Aiken

SARC!

ted c on May 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

ted c: Heres your image to your comment,..hahahaha,..ahems:0
=============================================================

Retweeted by Frank Thorp V
Kelly O’Donnell @KellyO · 4h

This was the late Keith Crisco @Crisco4Congress on April 28 with @clayaiken

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Prayers and condolences for the family and friends of Mr Crisco. May God grant them solace and comfort at this time.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM

MeanWhile,..Gawd Forbid, I do hope Boehner has no one awaiting in the
Political Shadows,…*Wink-Wink*…..(snark)
============================================

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 6h

Boehner: “I’m running for reelection, I expect to be Speaker” http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/boehner-another-full-term-im-living-borrowed-time-n103446

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM

O/T: Is Ace down today? Couldn’t access it at work and now not at home, either?

boko fittleworth on May 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM

boko fittleworth on May 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM

It was back up about 7pm EDT. Server fried and the database status is in doubt.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Newtie and the Beauty:

You are an inspiration,..yes even tho this was a Democrat, and its Politics,
yes,…..Prayers towards his family,..there is nothing worse then
suddenly leaving this earth!:)

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Beware the Gay Mafia.

ToddPA on May 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Thanks, N&tB!

boko fittleworth on May 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM

O/T: Is Ace down today? Couldn’t access it at work and now not at home, either?

boko fittleworth on May 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM

boko fittleworth: Just tried,…I got in??!!:)

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Beware the Gay Mafia.

ToddPA on May 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

And after the horrible way gays were treated between the 3rd century, C.E. to middle of the 20th century, it seems only logical and correct for gays to be in fanatical overdrive.

thuja on May 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM

faraway on May 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Behold the Anusocracy.

Murphy9 on May 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Thank you, Canopfor. To my mind, there is a time and place for some things, and today for the Crisco family, it is a time for putting aside “politics as usual” to acknowledge their loss.

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM

thankx for the image canopfor. been a while for me here.

ted c on May 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM

boko fittleworth on May 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM

You’re Most Welcome (YMW), Boko!

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:28 PM

We have no idea what happened for the most part other than a family lost their dad/husband/grandfather/friend.

HonestLib on May 12, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Wonder if Clay can sing this one :

I’m all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin’ with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin’ to a party where no one’s still alive

I was struck by lighting
Walkin’ down the street
I was hit by something last night in my sleep
It’s a dead man’s party
Who could ask for more
Everybody’s comin’, leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door . . .

All dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin’ with a dead man
Waitin’ for an invitation to arrive
With a dead man . . . Dead Man . . .

Got my best suit and my tie
Shiny silver dollar on either eye
I hear the chauffeur comin’ to the door
Says there’s room for maybe just one more . . .

Wallythedog on May 12, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 4h

Rep Ellmers on Keith Crisco’s passing: “I am deeply saddened by this sudden and painful tragedy and wish God’s blessings for Keith’s family”
========

Frank Thorp V @frankthorpNBC · 4h

Rep Ellmers stmt on Keith Crisco passing: http://ellmers.house.gov/latest-news/ellmers-statement-on-passing-of-keith-crisco/

Ellmers Statement on Passing of Keith Crisco
May 12 2014

WASHINGTON – Congresswoman Renee Ellmers (R-NC-02) released the following statement this afternoon from her office in Washington:

“I am deeply saddened by this sudden and painful tragedy and wish God’s blessings for Keith’s family through the coming days. His kindness and dedication to his principles were models we should all strive toward, and he will be dearly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with Keith’s family, friends and loved ones during this difficult time.”

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:29 PM

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Newtie and the Beauty: Yes,….agreed—–:)

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Told y’all there was a gay mafia.

…too soon?

libfreeorgan on May 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

…but they aren’t black bigots……..too!

KOOLAID2 on May 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I should read the comments first. You are good folks.

HonestLib on May 12, 2014 at 9:31 PM

BTW- I’m sick and tired of hearing about the status of some other website. If you want to know if it is working- GO THERE! Stop whining HERE!

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

FLASH: The Santa Maria has been found, after 500 years

faraway on May 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Ellmers better get some security people.

Southernblogger on May 12, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Have no idea what website you are talking about, nor do I care, but I understand your point.

HonestLib on May 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Very good Newtie. I was slightly appalled that some were making jokes. Aiken may be a joke but Mr. Crisco was just somebody who wanted to run for office.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 9:37 PM

FLASH: The Santa Maria has been found, after 500 years

faraway on May 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM

faraway: Thank-You for da heads Up:)

News for The Santa Maria has been found, after 500 …

Exclusive: Found after 500 years, the wreck of Christopher …
The Independent ‎- 2 hours ago
Tentatively identifying the wreck as the Santa Maria has been made possible by quite separate discoveries made by other archaeologists in …

============================

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on May 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM

For the Crisco family, yes, it is a time for putting aside politics as usual. Renee Ellmers issued an appropriate statement and Clay Aiken suspended campaigning. All of this is as it should be.

The fact of the matter is that Crisco died in the middle of a very tight election. Politics as usual is going to be part of that. But, for my part, I’ll forego my comments about a 70-year-old running for his freshman term in the US Congress instead of spending more time with his family.

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM

If he had come out earlier, they might have helped him take care of Ruben Studdard.

Greek Fire on May 12, 2014 at 9:40 PM

HonestLib on May 12, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I never heard of it either but some people need to stop seeing conspiracies in everything. If a website doesn’t work either it is temporarily down for some reason or it has gone out of business. Either way, the world won’t come to an end. If it matters that much to anyone they need to get a life.

crankyoldlady on May 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

thankx for the image canopfor. been a while for me here.

ted c on May 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM

ted c: Anytime Ted, and yes I know, taking a break, helps!:)

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

+infinity

ToddPA on May 12, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:39 P

God spoke to Moses when he was 80 so maybe the youngster and his family wanted him to run.

HonestLib on May 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM

FLASH: The Santa Maria has been found, after 500 years

faraway on May 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I’m guessing that any archeology will be inconclusive, at best. Unless they unearth a stash of “My Daddy went to the New World and all I got is this lousy T-shirt” garments, the story sound promising but hardly conclusive.

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Prayers for his family.

Please forgive me for this but…..

libfreeordie:

If this Gay Mafia exisits,..they would be Fabulously Lit Up Like
a Rainbow,…..someone in the neighbourhood would of noticed!!!!!

canopfor on May 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Barred on May 12, 2014 at 9:51 PM

HonestLib on May 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Fair enough but, according to the Bible, back in Moses’s time folks lived for hundreds of years.

My point is that the problem we have is that there is a political class.

It used to be that individuals would be elected to Congress, they’d do a few terms, and return home. Not so anymore. There is a prominent Congressman who goes to my church here in DC who has raised his family as Washingtonians. They still have a residence back in the home state but they will not ever move back there.

Happy Nomad on May 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM

My guess is the O admin wanted a gaa guy in congress and this old fart just wasn’t in the game plan. Watch for sudden death syndrome coming to an undesirable candidate near you.

katy on May 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM

As anti- Dem as I am I still wish the best for his Family…. RIP…

sandee on May 13, 2014 at 12:50 AM

RIP.

Thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

◦○◌☼

Now all the Ellmers-haters will have to take another look. As squishy as Renee is, she starts to look like a star compared to Clay Aiken.

Adjoran on May 13, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Ok, so Gay Aiken can maybe be in congress now? Is this what we’ve come to? What chance does he have in the general?

Paperclips on May 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM

The opponent’s name was Crisco?! Running against a homosexual named Clay Aiken?! I don’t even know where to begin. I’m overwhelmed with the satirical possibilities.

RockinRickOwen on May 13, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Crisco as in the cooking grease?

Brock Robamney on May 13, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Paperclips on May 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM

He has a better than average shot. His opponent is to his left, and if all else fails….

Brock Robamney on May 13, 2014 at 5:13 AM

Et tu, Brute-Clay?

BigAlSouth on May 13, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Any thoughts on this from Rove?

Kissmygrits on May 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM

May he rest in peace, and my condolences to his family. He leaves behind a wife of 49 years, three children and six grandchildren.

Ward Cleaver on May 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Paperclips on May 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM

We’re a pretty Republican district, so he’ll have an uphill battle. Sometimes I worry a bit about whether the name recognition will really help him, and other times I think that his being an American Idol runner-up will make people not take him seriously. I’d bet on Ellmers, but it’s early.

GinaC on May 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Keith Crisco is now a good commie dem. May all dems soon be like him.

earlgrey on May 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Wow…Oingo Boingo lyrics on the comment thread. Nice.

But I was waiting for the inevitable headline:

“Aiken Comes From Behind; Slips Past Crisco in a Tight One”

Kenz on May 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM