Video: Gates believes “Assad is winning”

posted at 6:31 pm on May 11, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Just a brief hit for the end of the weekend showing just where things are heading in Syria.

The Obama administration’s handling of the situation in Syria “one of the sad stories of the president’s foreign policy,” according to former secretary of defense Robert Gates.

“I think last fall was a real low point where we went in the space of a week from saying ‘Assad must go’ to ‘Assad must stay’ in order to fulfill the agreement sponsored by Putin to get rid of the chemical weapons that Assad had used against his own people,” he said on Face the Nation. “If ‘winning’ means remaining as president of Syria, I think [Assad] is winning.”

Gates said there may have been an opportunity for the United States and others to oust Assad early in the conflict, but now sees it as too difficult to really change the situation in the country.

Let’s go to the video.

Don’t expect this situation to get better any time soon. Syria has fallen out of the news cycle with all the other disasters taking place, but it’s not getting any better. This is one failure which the international community will be paying for well into the future.

Comments

Not to worry, 0bama and Kerry can handle this…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Kerry is on it.

He still has the hat.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM

So have the falling dominoes of the secular regimes that the Muslim Brotherhood, Riyadh and Obama and Co. started pushing over finally stopped?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 11, 2014 at 6:43 PM

OC, how is the weather where you are? I hear Nebraska is having some rough weather?

esr1951 on May 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM

We are expecting some hellacious weather, esr. There is a tornado close to Lincoln…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Assad is just a Russian pawn. Putin is winning.

myiq2xu on May 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Stay safe. I am in central Indiana. I think the bad stuff will pass north of here later tonight.

esr1951 on May 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM

The media has done its usual miserably useless job reporting on what’s really going on.

It looks like Assad is the one actually protecting the religious minority bystanders (which includes a big chunk of Christians) while our ‘friends’ there, Assad’s enemies, are the ones who have been mass murdering them for kicks and religious purity.

I am getting fed up with being on the side of murderous animals who want to murder us, too, if they could just get their hands on us.

Yeah, sure, so Assad is a ‘monster.’ If I was in his shoes and fighting the likes of al Qaeda, I’d be using whatever weapons I could get my hands on to kill those rabid animals.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

“Assad is winning”

Good.

I hope he kills as many of Al Qaeda and Al-Nusra as he can possibly manage.

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Given his opposition, I sure hope Assad is winning. The Christians in Syria now say, “Thank God for the Russians”. Gates can go to hell and take Obama and McCain with him.

VorDaj on May 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Maybe Pelosi can don her scarf again and talk some sense (no, scratch that) to Assad.

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Assad is winning. So you’re telling me the good guy is winning?

antisense on May 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I have never seen clouds look like this…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Um, there is no good side here. Let the fighting continue.

rbj on May 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM

myiq2xu on May 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM

This ^

battalion on May 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM

This O phuck up works to our favor, right?

msupertas on May 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I have never seen clouds look like this…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Stay safe and stay in touch!

esr1951 on May 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM

There is gambling in Casablanca.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I am reading the saddest book about the Armenian genocide by the Muslim Turks of the Ottoman Empire allied with Germany in WWI. The Sandcastle Girls (informed by the author Chris Bohjalian’s Armenian family history)describes the horrors inflicted by the Muslims in order to cleanse the Empire of Christian and Jewish communities. The latter looked to Russia as an ally for protection, and for that choice they were mercilessly destroyed.

The Armenian men were summarily executed; the women and children were marched across the desert under the duress of starvation, denial of water, rapes, and ruthless murders until the survivors were led to relocation camps of equal horror.

Assad may be under the protection of Putin, who probably has his own geopolitical reasons for the alliance with Syria, but the Christians and what remaining Jews remain at least have safety with Assad.

The “rebels” in this conflict are allied with Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood. We should not be arming or protecting them.

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I hope that you and Ratso have safe shelter, OC. Stay safe.

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 7:21 PM

All three networks broke into regular programming about our storm. Tornadoes are touching down…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I have never seen clouds look like this…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Do you have a NOAA weather radio? Mine gets quite active here in Toledo in the spring & summer. Also works for nuclear, biological & chemical alerts. Which, in these days, is necessary.

rbj on May 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Have you ever read The 40 Days of Musa Dagh by Franz Werfel?

esr1951 on May 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I have a noaa radio, but no batteries unfortunately…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Smart power! Right? Is that what this is?

Red Cloud on May 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Ouch. Hopefully you got some underground shelter.

Steve Eggleston on May 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM

#BringBackOurPeace

(sad face)

Red Cloud on May 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Have you ever read The 40 Days of Musa Dagh by Franz Werfel?

esr1951 on May 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM

No, but I will put it on my bucket list.

Ib the book I described, the women and children were marched from the Armenian enclaves in Bitlis and Van to Aleppo in current-day Syria and later to a desert wasteland in Dier el Zor.

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I have a basement built in 1882…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I have a basement built in 1882…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:37 PM

A sturdy table in the basement?

Steve Eggleston on May 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM

OC, pls be careful and stay safe. Make sure you put some provisions and flashlights down there. No batteries……….grrr.

Try and keep in touch. We’ll all be worrying until it passes over your area.

CoffeeLover on May 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM

You must read this column, which I linked also in the Kerry Headline thread. It’s gold.

What a fantastic put down of Kerry by Sultan Knish in the form of a dear John letter.

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM

It is still to the SW of me. I will most likely miss most of it, but I do want the rain…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Nasty stuff bearing down on Omaha. The storm is rain wrapped so if there is still a tornado you won’t be able to see it.

crankyoldlady on May 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Yep egg, got a sturdy table…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Count your blessings. It probably would have just gone from bad to worse.

Cleombrotus on May 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM

They aren’t talking about Omaha yet. Ashland and Memphis.

crankyoldlady on May 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I believe Assad — and his backer Putin — have won.

unclesmrgol on May 11, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Hang on, OC!

I always blame AlGore.

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Ashland and Memphis are basically in or on the fringe of the metro…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM

LOL

COL

WAVING

CoffeeLover on May 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM

WAVING

CoffeeLover on May 11, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Doing weather reports for Omaha.

crankyoldlady on May 11, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I have a lifelong friend who is a 58 yr old widow. She is in Sarpy County and afraid of basements. Pray for Diane, she breeded and gave me Ratso…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I hope she’s more afraid of tornadoes.

crankyoldlady on May 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I meant bred…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

omigosh, check out the medical theories about why MERS is rising in the ME:

Mohammed prescribed the remedy of drinking camel urine. Its mixture with camel milk is supposed to be a cure-all, better than those elixirs the Wild West medicine shows promoted.

onlineanalyst on May 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Tornado sirens are sounding…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Very true. Meanwhile Obama, McCain, “Miss Lindsey,” Peter King and the neocons want to jump in and help Al Qaeda.

bw222 on May 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM

…. but to know for sure what Gates believes you’ll have to buy his book.

viking01 on May 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM

…I don’t care what Gates says…he is a whore!

KOOLAID2 on May 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM

One of many.

One of many.

It is a good time to be a bad guy. Clueless naive fools are running US foreign policy.

The Europeans are little better and have shown themselves to be gutless.

The Europeans basically ignored genocide in their own backyard in Balkans in the 90s.

Poland and Czechoslovakia learned well before that not to rely on, count on, or trust the word and commitments of their Western European allies.

The Europeans are far more divided than many think, as they have always been. With the possible exception of Germany their economies have been crippled and almost sucked dry by the socialists.

China is beginning to flex its muscles in the Western Pacific. And it is spending a lot of money on its military.

Iran will soon be a nuclear capable power, if it is not already.

And so on and so forth.

Storm clouds are gathering. Historically speaking, the world is overdue for some major wars, and possibly for a really big one. It does not necessarily have to be a nuclear one.

Short of first use of a nuke by another country, it would take quite a bit for the US, Britain, or Frances to use a nuke. And an awful lot can be done by aggressors around the world without using one.

Some may say a big war is no longer possible in these modern times.

Well, that’s what the experts said before the First World War. No nation could afford a big long war. It would be financial suicide for all involved. So of course they would behave rationally and not get involved in one.

That war, the war that could not happen, was subsequently called the War To End All Wars. Nothing like that could ever happen again. The world learned its lesson it was said. Rational people would prevail to prevent such madness again. That was before the Second World War came along.

farsighted on May 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I’d pick Assad over the Islamic terrorists he is fighting against.

OxyCon on May 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Putin/Assad 2016!!!

vilebody on May 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Re: Omaha, et al, who might suffer natures wrath …
After H.S. and early college, I worked as a summer mechanic in a full-service Sunoco station (remember those?) near Cape May, New Jerse. The owner was USA-Retired and a lead mechanic at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and in the few years I worked for him taught me a lot. In any case one day the weather turned ugly with reports saying a big azz storm was headed up the coast.
He gathered the crew together and suggested we all leave early, go home and batten-down. One local kid asked why and he turned to me and said, “OK, ‘College’ do you know the Latin translation for hurricane?” Caught by surprise at his question, I had no clue and shrugged, and he turned to the questioning youth and said, “It means, you get the F**K out of the way!” Later in life and witnessing what a hurricane can do, he was offering excellent advice.

Missilengr on May 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM