Fat. It’s the new black.

posted at 3:31 pm on May 11, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

I know what you’re thinking this Mother’s Day weekend… we probably don’t have enough protected classes of citizens in America. #Amiright? Well, fear not, citizens. There’s a new minority in town, and as Rick Moran explains, rather than being loud and proud, they’re large and in charge.

The imbroglio involving TNT NBA analyst Charles Barkley’s comments about obese people is one of those incidents that you find it hard to agree with either side. Barkley — once known as the “round mound of rebound” should be the last person making fun of fat women. His fellow analyst Shaq O’Neil looks like he’s been packing on the pounds himself since he retired.

You have to imagine the TNT studio guys sitting around, mouthing off as guys might do in a locker room or a Man Cave, giving their opinions about how some women look, how ugly or hot they are. Except these guys are on national TV with a couple of million people tuning in.

Quite insensitive, no? But the reaction from a “fat acceptance” group should put America on notice that the next great drive for victimhood status is going to come from the BBW crowd.

Talk about a “gold mine” — imagine the smiles on the faces of the big, beautiful women who are working to make criticism and mocking of obese people something akin to racism

Far be it from me to criticize, but I think Rick is burying the lead here. Because there is actually a fat acceptance group and it’s the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance.

Size Discrimination Consequences are Real!

Creates medical and psychological effects
Results in wage disparity
Affects hiring and promotion
Affects academic options and advancement

As Rick puts it, you, too, can become a protected class under EEOC, affirmative action, and — the jackpot — the Americans with Disabilities Act. All it takes is money to hire a bunch of lobbyists and to contribute to the right political campaigns.

I’m nobody to be telling others to get into shape. (Actually, I am in shape. Round is a shape.) But is this really yet another protected class? I don’t expect anyone to hire me to model swimsuits or run packages up and down six flights of stairs in a building with no elevator. I wouldn’t be qualified for the job, and honestly I’d be rather embarrassed to have Uncle Sam come in with me, holding my hand and ordering the boss to give me the job. Not everyone has control over their size, though many do and are perhaps just comfortable with the way they look. But I don’t think we need a national association to advance (Fill in the Minority) acceptance.

But I suppose that ship has sailed. Fat: It’s the new black. But it won’t make a very good Netflix original series.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Everyone’s a victim! Stand in line!

xNavigator on May 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM

And bish…

oh, who cares.

xNavigator on May 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Coincidence that this comes up when we happen to have a first “lady” who is a sanctimonious child starving fatass food hypocrite who never saw a lobster buffet she wouldn’t bite people’s arms off if they got between it and her?

ConstantineXI on May 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM

You are missing the point. This should be about showing ALL respect, not denigrating people based on appearance. And, frankly, it is very demeaning and insulting to assume fat people are lazy or stupid. People need to rethink how they react to fat people, based on the stigma that society has put on this particular body size.

We are now openly accepting all races and the gays. Why should fat people be the last group where it is socially acceptable to demean them or make fun of them with impunity? That is the purpose of NAAFA. Educate the public to show respect.

karenhasfreedom on May 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Some are fat.
Some are thin.
They’re all beautiful once you’re in.

jukin3 on May 11, 2014 at 3:44 PM

how is it like “black?” people are born black.

Sachiko on May 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Being fat isn’t genetic or a life sentence you can’t appeal. Anyone can lose weight and change their weight. I would never look down on someone because they are heavy but they are killing themselves whether they will admit to it or not.

trs on May 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Oh good God!

melle1228 on May 11, 2014 at 3:48 PM

karenhasfreedom on May 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM

but then how do you explain the overweight people who have worked really hard and lost weight? the more we “accept” overweight people, the more we act like being overweight is something one can’t help, which isn’t true.

Sachiko on May 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM

National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance.

The Fat Acceptance Taskforce And Support Society was apparently voted down.

somewhatconcerned on May 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

karenhasfreedom on May 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM

1. You’re born black. You’re not born fat.
2. Not everyone is accepting of gays. Probably not even a majority.

The US is the second fattest country in the world. Since obesity rates are tied to prosperity it’s easy to surmise that it is a behavior is due and not a medical issue. Obesity results from a lack of self control. Many are lazy and the lazy are legitimate targets of denigration.

Charlemagne on May 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

EEOC v. Resources for Human Development, 827 F. Supp. 2d 688 (E.D. La. 2011)

EEOC sues employer for firing obese woman because it violated the Americans with Disabilities Act. District court agreed. Case settled for $125K.

Next up: fat jokes are “hate speech”?

Wethal on May 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM

speaking of things you can’t help, society has already convinced themselves that people definitely can’t change their sexual preference. it’s considered absolute insanity to say otherwise.

this is a belief i have that applies to many things in life: there are few things about yourself that truly can’t change. if you strongly want to change something about yourself, you’ll find a way to change. it may not be quick and it may not be easy, but you can do it.

this is something i’ve learned as an artist. artists practice and improve and get better over a period of years. when i hear people say “i can’t draw,” it just means that they don’t want to put in the years of practice.

people use “i can’t change” as an excuse.

Sachiko on May 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

What I really need is a comprehensive list of what I can and can’t say, do and think. I am getting tired of failing so miserably in my daily life that my every movement, choice and utterance offends so many good people. This sounds like a excellent project for the government to undertake, and if my taxes have to go up because of it. I understand. It’s a small price to pay to make the world a better place to live in.

MrsGsBoyTommy on May 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

If you saw your preteen kid smoking, wouldn’t you make him stop?

Yet I was at a Mother’s Day hotel brunch a few hours ago, and a fat kid about 12 years old literally waddled back to his table with a plate piled high with… donuts and cookies. If this was your kid, wouldn’t you send him back to get something relatively healthy instead, like eggs and fruit?

Look, I’m a sedentary middle aged guy with a paunch. But jeez, parents, you’re killing your kids.

segesta on May 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

But is this really yet another protected class?

Yes, and it should be. I’m white and heterosexual, so I have nothing on which to rely when I’m discriminated against. Except now there’s fat. It’s my only chance to get into a protected class.

I’m only half joking, by the way. Someone where I used to work used to verbally abuse me in front of all my co-workers. I finally had enough of his abuse and contacted HR about it. They said that if I was a protected class, they could do something. But since I’m not a protected class, there’s nothing they can do. I’m not kidding.

I’m sure that varies from company to company, but that’a how my ex-employer worked.

The Rogue Tomato on May 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM

OT – flukeing delusional Guinea worm Eleanor Clift

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Sachiko on May 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Agreed. 100%.

(Sachiko, my agreement may force you to rethink your position, but I hope not.)

The simple fact of the matter, humans naturally find obesity unattractive. It’s innate. The fat acceptance types are trying to change human nature, and that never works. Shaming them is helping them.

Nomennovum on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I have noticed how much fatter kids are these days. Probably a lack pf exercise plays into a lot of it…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

OT – flukeing delusional Guinea worm Eleanor Clift

Schadenfreude on May 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

oh good lord…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

The Elephant in the Room: Diabetes.

CW on May 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM

This sounds like a excellent project for the government to undertake, and if my taxes have to go up because of it. I understand. It’s a small price to pay to make the world a better place to live in. for everybody but me to live in

MrsGsBoyTommy on May 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

FIFY

By the way, you sound suspiciously like a white guy- have you apologized for your white male privilege today?

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

That and 50% of meals are no longer eaten at home.

CW on May 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

As someone who went from 309 to 161, I would like to suggest, in all humility, that if you have a problem related to being fat, you should try not being fat. It really does work wonders.

HitNRun on May 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Ha. Check out some black comedian routines. They make fun of just about everyone (and can get away with it).

If you want a real politically incorrect chuckle check out Andew Dice Clay or Dave Attel.

Ruckus_Tom on May 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

You should be polite to everyone who isn’t either rude, or obnoxious.

That said, could we please stop with the reveling in victimhood?

Trigger warnings, fat acceptance, slut walks, Abled Privileged, Blind Acceptance, Gender identity, hidden racism, dog whistles, etc.

You can all be sad and pathetic victims in private, shedding bitter tears at the trials and tribulations life has thrown your way, but could you please STFU about it in public?

I just want to get through the day without being confronted by the pitiful stories of heartbreak from professional victims!

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Nomennovum on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Mmmm, no- only true in societies that have been prosperous for a long, long time.

In cultures that live much closer to the edge, fat people (especially fat women) indicate something entirely positive. Namely that you can provide enough extra food for yourself and your female that you are fat. Means you are rich and successful.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

segesta on May 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I agree.

Eat your veggies. No, you can’t have five cookies for dinner.

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I agree.

You’ve reached your total electronic game time for today. Go outside and play!

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

MrsGsBoyTommy on May 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I must be misunderstanding or missed the sarc tag. Are you arguing with yourself or just trying to figure out what you want to say?

CW on May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Charlemagne on May 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

You better believe it. Lazy with a capital L.

And gluttonous too. Say, isn’t that a sin?

Nomennovum on May 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Go outside and play!

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

It never occurred to us to stay inside the house this time of year when we were kids, we hated it…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Ugly Woman Who could sing.

[language warning]

Kenosha Kid on May 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Video games.

KCB on May 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

You’ve reached your total electronic game time for today. Go outside and play!

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Yep.
Hell..when I was a kid- my mom couldn’t pull me inside for dinner. I would gulp it down to get back OUT to play.
Huge difference today and I’m not that old.

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I loved being with the neighborhood kids.

This is kinda sorta related to sending kids out to play.

Please, those of you who have kids, if you rent or own a house, get one with trees in the backyard.

I’ve been astonished at seeing so many huge, expensive family homes today with small backyards with no trees for shade. What are people thinking?

Kids need to play, but they don’t need to get heat stroke.

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Oh and my mom also made well balanced meals….

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM

bazil9,

Good mom!

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

we hated it…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yep-it used to be a punishment.

CW on May 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Finally, a minority Whites in Red States can embrace as their own.

congrats!

everdiso on May 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

We also climbed the trees and built treehouses and stuff…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Mmmm no – only true in societies that have been prosperous for a long, long time.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Mmmn, yes, chubby chaser. Thin = healthy = likely to survive longer = good reproductive prospect. Try being fat and outrunning a sabre tooth tiger — or even gathering nuts and berries all day while holding your child. Or hunting mammoths.

Nomennovum on May 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Yep-it used to be a punishment.

CW on May 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

yup, one we thought was cruel and unusual. Hell, I’d rather gotten a whuppin’

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Expert tree climber here.

I do envy you the treehouse! I always wanted one.

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

You’re right I haven’t apologized today so here goes. I’m sorry that’t I’m a white, middle aged, heterosexual, catholic, working class male. As penance I will commute 50 miles one way to work for a 10-12 hour shift at a job that pays me 50% less than I was making four years ago. If that’s not enough I will also pay for my own heath insurance even though the premiums have doubled since the ACA.

MrsGsBoyTommy on May 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Fat Acceptance. the republicans should make it a platform issue.

Put Chris Christie in charge.

gerrym51 on May 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

how is it like “black?” people are born black.

Sachiko on May 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Nope.

People can choose whatever they want now.

tetriskid on May 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Finally, a minority Whites in Red States can embrace as their own.

congrats!

everdiso on May 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

The racist strikes.

CW on May 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

bazil9,

Good mom!

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I was blessed. =)

We also climbed the trees and built treehouses and stuff…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Me too! My neighborhood was mainly boys..had a ball. I hated being inside.

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Ahhhh, no wonder you do so well with us boys at qotd…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I do envy you the treehouse! I always wanted one.

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I didn’t have one myself but my best friends dad helped us build an awesome one, up in a huge oak. Great times.

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I don’t know if I agree with you that his is about creating a new protected class. More accurately his seems to be more about protecting people from being demeaned, marginalized and disrespected.

It’s fine to not hire a fatty to run stairs as you give the example of – it is not fine to humiliate and bully people because you feel superior to them.

KMC1 on May 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Our backyard had a shade tree (Southernism, do they say that elsewhere?), but the bottom limbs were too high to reach.

Across the street, however, there was a vacant lot with a massive oak on it. Perfect climbing tree.

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Hey everdiso since you went there:

After adjusting for population age differences, 2007-2009 national survey data for people diagnosed with diabetes, aged 20 years or older include the following prevalence by race/ethnicity:

7.1% of non-Hispanic whites
8.4% of Asian Americans
12.6% of non-Hispanic blacks
11.8% of Hispanics
- See more at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/statistics/#sthash.zfBonCHW.dpuf

CW on May 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

We say shade tree here in Omaha…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Ugly Woman Who could sing.

[language warning]

Kenosha Kid on May 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM

That was funny and he had a good point about Susan Boyle.

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Remember when unhealthy things like obesity were something to be treated/cured for everyone’s well being?

Good times…

Rusty Nail on May 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM

My little brother was like a monkey, he climbed to the very tops of our big ol’ maple trees…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Truly this is a first world problem. Obama and his merry band of idiots are doing everything they can to choke off food supplies so we are all skinny. Not by choice. By supply and cost.

jukin3 on May 11, 2014 at 4:32 PM

I’ve found few fat people that don’t also have an eating problem such as being addicted to fattening fast foods like daily hamburgers/french fries, buying a salad then drowning it in salad dressing, eating a whole pie at a time several times a week, pints of some of the most fattening ice cream several times a month, same with bags of candy, etc. Even drinking their coffee with spoons of sugar, or multiple soft drinks a day. Then complaining about gaining weight. I watched one beloved female co-worker I used to work with (very angry b/c she thought people looked at her because she was “fat”) order a dozen chicken fried breaded whatever, dip it in the additional dressing she’s ordered, eat that and then eat her “salad” over which she poured salad dressing from her own stash.

This is NOT a glandular problem. It’s an eating addiction problem, just like alcohol/drug addiction.

This behavior frequently results in Diabetes Type 2, which is the most prevalent form of diabetes, and also called adult-onset diabetes, which is associated with older age, obesity, previous history of gestational diabetes (in women), and physical inactivity. Personally know one male that lost almost 100lbs in about 6 months once he was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 (from 265lbs to 160lb), and then…….started unhealthy eating again and has gained almost all of it back from his appearance, but…. won’t divulge how much he weighs now. His tight-fitting, button-busting clothes tell the story. He’s also addicted to just everything else a person can be addicted to.

I’ve watched about 6 episodes of “My 600lb life”. The ones that were successful in losing weight changed their diet and the amount they ate. The ones that didn’t, found every excuse in the world, including lying to themselves and the doctors about how much/what they ate.

avagreen on May 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Nomennovum on May 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Read some Pearl S. Buck for a little perspective on how the famine-ravenged Chinese viewed obesity; the same for African literature.

And I’m guessing the chubby-chaser thing is some creepy sexual reference? Kinda weird, dude.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM

NAAFasses

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 4:38 PM

I am, according to the charts, morbidly obese.

Have been forty years. One of these days it is going to kill me.

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Socialists are never at a loss finding new victim groups. Surely there isn’t anybody left.

crankyoldlady on May 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Love my boyz. (:

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

So, wait, you mean I’m finally NOT in the last unprotected class of humans in the US?
(white, male, non-veteran, WASP)?
Thank God!

Sorta. Ooooh, I just looked down! Ouch.

Tard on May 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM

No, no, no! Can’t lose you. Please, please do something. Good people like you are rare.

[I'm a little overweight myself but also have celiac disease for the past 12 years, which messes with my nutrition absorption and energy levels. Some days I just curl up into a ball when an attack happens, not caring if the roof falls in.]

avagreen on May 11, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I see a plan emerging here, folks.

In the very near future, we will ALL be part of some sort of victim group, part of some protected group. All to be managed by the moron Dem-progs.

New victim groups coming? Conservatives and libertarians.

We were born that way, dammit!!!! We suffer. We are at the mercy of progressive privilege!

Where is libfreeordie when you need he/she/it?

Chuck Ef on May 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM

These folks are in for a rude awakening under Obamacare.

BMI metrics are already in place. Obesity patient self-management tools come into play in 2016.

lineholder on May 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM

HitNRun on May 11, 2014 at 4:02 PM

That was well said. And good for you. Congratulations!

INC on May 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I continued to build treehouses well after adulthood.

I just changed the name to deer stand.

wolly4321 on May 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM

KMC1 on May 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Here is someone who “gets it”. Few are asking for special privileges or being a protected class, just asking to be shown some respect and dignity, something that should be afforded to everyone who themselves are respectful of others.

And why be so judgmental? Who here is perfect?

karenhasfreedom on May 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

The thing is, at some point (and I don’t mean a BMI point) being “FAT” is unhealthy.

I’ve seen people on Tumblr or elsewhere that seem to want to take pride in being VERY large. And I’m sorry, that is simply not something to take pride. Work to be as healthy and in shape as you can and I have no problem accepting you as you are somewhat heavy. But massive ? No, sorry. There is nothing to celebrate about that.

deadrody on May 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Agreed. 100%.

(Sachiko, my agreement may force you to rethink your position, but I hope not.)

Nomennovum on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

lol it’s okay! i’m glad we can agree!

Sachiko on May 11, 2014 at 4:56 PM

This thread made me crack open a quart of black walnut ice cream.

wolly4321 on May 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

2. Not everyone is accepting of gays. Probably not even a majority.

Charlemagne on May 11, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Yeah, nice try, but wrong. The last poll I could find from Gallup had “moral acceptance” of gays at 59% in 2013, and that was up from 54% in 2012.

Stop kidding yourself.

deadrody on May 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

This thread made me crack open a quart of black walnut ice cream.

wolly4321 on May 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM

It’s NOT your fault. Jazz should have put up a trigger warning.

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Of course this was coming. It is an obvious extension of the ADA. It’s a disability. Just like ‘needing’ a yapping dog for your stress so a landlord must rent to you or face draconian punishments.

We decided to get stupid, really, really stupid, some time ago. The only question is just how far is it going to go before it stops. History does not give any comfort. This kind of idiocy usually goes on long enough to cause serious pain to just about everyone before people have had enough, and sometimes not even then.

People are apes, after all. Don’t expect too much.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Love my boyz. (:

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM

And we love our babez…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Nomennovum on May 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I’m sorry, but if you really believe this, then you haven’t been around any men talking about ‘juicy booties” or women trying to put on weight so they can get a “juicy booty”.

And IMO, nutrition education is more effective than shaming.

lineholder on May 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Fat: It’s the new black. But it won’t make a very good Netflix original series.

Wow, talk about your irony meter. I know a lot of black people and a lot of those black people are fat… outright fat… a lot of those friends and acquaintances of mine are fat. Fat is the new black? It’s not even fashionable.

ExpressoBold on May 11, 2014 at 5:10 PM

And IMO, nutrition education is more effective than shaming.

lineholder on May 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Yes; tragically it has become fashionable for women to have enormous asses, yet I don’t see anyone speaking out about it. Afraid they might be called racist I’m sure.

slickwillie2001 on May 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Being fat isn’t genetic or a life sentence you can’t appeal.

trs on May 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Homosexuality isn’t genetic either, but now saying so can get your life literally ruined.

Fat folks want in on that kind of fascist power too, it seems.

Rebar on May 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Nope.

People can choose whatever they want now.

tetriskid on May 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Thank you Fauxcahontas, Lie-A-Watha, Warren!

ExpressoBold on May 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM

men talking about ‘juicy booties”

There’s more cushion for the pushin’

Emperor Norton on May 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I am waiting for the alcoholic to become … or wait, already done.

I am waiting for the drug user to become…. erm, opps that is protected too.

I am waiting for …. oh heck, I give up. Who isn’t a protected class?

upinak on May 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I don’t know- rather than fatties becoming a protected minority, I think its more likely that the Non-Smoking Nannies will morph into the Blubber Police.

Instead of waving their hands in front of their faces and coughing furiously, they’ll screech “ooh, ooh! There’s fat on that man! Don’t let him get any on you!”

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

slickwillie2001 on May 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I don’t know why it would be looked at racists. I’ve seen in young women of any and all race and ethnicity (except for Asian…they just don’t get into it at all)

Emperor Norton on May 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Heh. I’ve heard that comment, too.

Some men like larger size women.

lineholder on May 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

the Non-Smoking Nannies will morph into the Blubber Police.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 5:19 PM

We already have one; Michelle Obama.

upinak on May 11, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

This ^^^

Being “fat” isn’t necessarily always a choice. My weight has been in constant flux over the years. I have been very skinny and very obese. The obese periods are due to the steroid use for my auto-immune disease. I take these periods in stride, although it gets harder as I get older to recover and lose the weight from these periods. Right now, I am an okay weight, but it was tough at 40 getting there.

Still given that fat people tend to be ‘My people” sometimes, I don’t think we should be another “protected” class. Good God, pretty soon everyone will be protected, and it won’t mean – anyways.

melle1228 on May 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I am waiting for the alcoholic to become … or wait, already done.

I am waiting for the drug user to become…. erm, opps that is protected too.

I am waiting for …. oh heck, I give up. Who isn’t a protected class?

upinak on May 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

White males who haven’t made dysfunctional choices.

When you understand the fundamental view of human beings that the left has, it all becomes clear. We are nothing but animals. Our choices are predetermined by our chemistry. Holding us responsible for our choices is pointlessly cruel. Being critical of a fat person for his gluttony is just like beating a dog or a pig for overeating.

It is a pitch black view of humanity, but it is really the way those animals (they really are nothing but animals) think about us.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I think gay is the new black, so maybe fat is the new gay. But then most gays hate fat people, so I don’t know….

BushyGreen on May 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

White males who haven’t made dysfunctional choices.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Beta Males? I kid.

I agree. I really don’t care about peoples weight, since it doesn’t make them who they are as a person, unless that is how they see themselves. Much like how I feel about color or religion. Yeah, call it ignorant, but I just wasn’t raised that way.

upinak on May 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I am mostly in the “no judging” camp because I’ve known plenty of overweight people who are far from lazy or bad in the areas that are relevant to my life. Same goes for the deadly vices that don’t show themselves on the waistline, like death sticks, drugs, or bareback sex. It’s better to be healthy, sure, but people with unhealthy lifestyles can still be good workers and nice people.

DisneyFan on May 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Jazz Shaw I hope you will not complain when they start calling you racist. I think your assertion that fat is the new black is about the most offensive statement I have seen on this site by a writer. I have tried my best to rationalize that statement but I couldn’t and this is not about PC. You are reducing an entire race and comparing them to being fat. Whatever context you are trying to use, this is flat out wrong. You can still write that same story without even mentioning black.

ChildOfGod on May 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

ConstantineXI on May 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM

She chewed through a wall of Masonite to get to the next room because she heard lobster claws being cracked open. The occupants surrendered their lobsters to her out of fear.

SparkPlug on May 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Jazz wrote a blog where she equates being fat to being black and used the word “protected class” and I was napping when this beauty was first posted.

Nooooooooooo!