Fat. It’s the new black.

posted at 3:31 pm on May 11, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

I know what you’re thinking this Mother’s Day weekend… we probably don’t have enough protected classes of citizens in America. #Amiright? Well, fear not, citizens. There’s a new minority in town, and as Rick Moran explains, rather than being loud and proud, they’re large and in charge.

The imbroglio involving TNT NBA analyst Charles Barkley’s comments about obese people is one of those incidents that you find it hard to agree with either side. Barkley — once known as the “round mound of rebound” should be the last person making fun of fat women. His fellow analyst Shaq O’Neil looks like he’s been packing on the pounds himself since he retired.

You have to imagine the TNT studio guys sitting around, mouthing off as guys might do in a locker room or a Man Cave, giving their opinions about how some women look, how ugly or hot they are. Except these guys are on national TV with a couple of million people tuning in.

Quite insensitive, no? But the reaction from a “fat acceptance” group should put America on notice that the next great drive for victimhood status is going to come from the BBW crowd.

Talk about a “gold mine” — imagine the smiles on the faces of the big, beautiful women who are working to make criticism and mocking of obese people something akin to racism

Far be it from me to criticize, but I think Rick is burying the lead here. Because there is actually a fat acceptance group and it’s the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance.

Size Discrimination Consequences are Real!

Creates medical and psychological effects
Results in wage disparity
Affects hiring and promotion
Affects academic options and advancement

As Rick puts it, you, too, can become a protected class under EEOC, affirmative action, and — the jackpot — the Americans with Disabilities Act. All it takes is money to hire a bunch of lobbyists and to contribute to the right political campaigns.

I’m nobody to be telling others to get into shape. (Actually, I am in shape. Round is a shape.) But is this really yet another protected class? I don’t expect anyone to hire me to model swimsuits or run packages up and down six flights of stairs in a building with no elevator. I wouldn’t be qualified for the job, and honestly I’d be rather embarrassed to have Uncle Sam come in with me, holding my hand and ordering the boss to give me the job. Not everyone has control over their size, though many do and are perhaps just comfortable with the way they look. But I don’t think we need a national association to advance (Fill in the Minority) acceptance.

But I suppose that ship has sailed. Fat: It’s the new black. But it won’t make a very good Netflix original series.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ooops…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Fat. It’s the new black?

I wonder if Oprah will weigh in on this issue. She has been heavily involved in promoting this meme and given it wide berth.

SparkPlug on May 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

“Protected classes” should be unconstitutional.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Jazz Shaw I hope you will not complain when they start calling you racist. I think your assertion that fat is the new black is about the most offensive statement I have seen on this site by a writer. I have tried my best to rationalize that statement but I couldn’t and this is not about PC. You are reducing an entire race and comparing them to being fat. Whatever context you are trying to use, this is flat out wrong. You can still write that same story without even mentioning black.

ChildOfGod on May 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I believe Jazz meant it as tongue in cheek.

melle1228 on May 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Poking fun at a specific fat person is just mean. They are dysfunctional. People shouldn’t be bullied for being dysfunctional unless that dysfunction involves directly infringing on someone else’s rights.

We all suffer from some kind of dysfunction. I’m getting old. That can annoy people, too. “Get out of the way, old man!”

What is puzzling is when people choose to be dysfunctional.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Jazz wrote a blog where she equates being fat to being black and used the word “protected class” and I was napping when this beauty was first posted.

Nooooooooooo!

coolrepublica on May 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Jazz is a guy.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Orange is the New Black-a show on Netflix.
What I was thinking from his post….

bazil9 on May 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM

JAZZ: I did not read all the comments so far because, frankly, I don’t care if I repeat what someone else has said. As the husband of a 300+ pound woman I have to say that I think that, just because there are already too many “protected” classes, it doesn’t mean that most people haven’t been mercilessly cruel to the overweight since forever.

Being fat because you choose to eat the wrong foods and too many of them is one thing, but at least 25% of all technically obese women have a metabolic disorder called Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. Look it up if you fancy yourself an enlightened person. Many different difficulties arise in different combination with PCOS sufferers including infertility, slow metabolism, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. These are the physical problems. Then there is the mental anguish of being mocked for your appearance even though you haven’t eaten more than 1200 calories for three weeks except for the one time you ate 1500 and gained three pounds (Yes, the physics of that baffles us, too.). Add to that the prejudice against the obese in business: “Well, if they can’t discipline themselves to lose weight, why should I hire them to consult for my company?”

So, just as calling the Irish drunkards is the last permissible ethnic slur, mocking the obese is the last allowed physical prejudice. As far as being a “protected class”, most of the obese would settle for being treated like human beings worthy of respect.

GISAP on May 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

ChildOfGod on May 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I believe Jazz meant it as tongue in cheek.

melle1228 on May 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I don’t think that will matter to COG. He/she seems to want to find a demon under every phrase.

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Nooooooooooo!

coolrepublica on May 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Jazz is a guy.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Jazz wrote a blog where he equates being fat to being black and used the word “protected class” and I was napping when this beauty was first posted.

noooooooo!

coolrepublica on May 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Same olde stupid.

Murphy9 on May 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Where were these idiots when kids were kickin the snot out of me for being a husky boy.

crosshugger on May 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

GISAP on May 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

You’re right. Hormonal conditions can contribute quite a bit to a person’s weight. So can metabolic disorders. It isn’t always about the consumption of food or over-eating.

I’ve always been relatively fortunate in my health, and weights has been in what is considered a healthy range, so I can’t say that I personally empathize with your wife. But I have a close friend who has the same condition, and she has struggled with it for years.

Just tell her not to give up!

lineholder on May 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Bullies will bully. No matter what.

Whoever is perceived as weak will be bullied by the bullies. And the bullies will focus on where they can cause the most pain.

But people who have a self-perceived weakness will sometimes see bullying where it doesn’t exist.

I have seen childless women literally get angry at the people at church over the observance of Mother’s Day.

My mother had a goiter in the 50s and her eyes protruded. Not a lot. Hardly noticeable. But she hated the comic strip Garfield and thought it in poor taste.

There is no excuse for bullying. I recognize that the recent anti-bullying campaign was a cover to insert acceptance of h0m0sexual behavior. But bullying in and of itself should never ever be tolerated.

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM

crosshugger on May 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

When I was a kid, I wore JC Penny’s Huskie jeans.

I knew what it meant.

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Being a white, conservative, heterosexual male of vertically otherwise capability (I’m short, but I’m trying to make up this victim-speak as I attempt to learn the language), I’m thinking short is the new tall, or something.

That’s not to say that if Moochelle weren’t first biotch while I was a young one, her diet may have allowed me to grow another foot taller. I mean, when you get 2.5 calories, and 1 milligram of protein on her school diet, who isn’t going to thrive?

Of course, there’s a country that we could emulate, for all the idiots that drone on about obesity. I don’t believe there’s much of an obesity problem in North Korea (please ignore all their pleasantly plump ‘Dear Leaders’).

“More Corn for Cars: Less Food for Fatties”.

ZeusGoose on May 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM

ChildWhoWasDroppedOnHerHeadAsAnInfant on May 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 6:36 PM

The Bible is clear on this issue.
Gluttony is considered a sin.
Contemporary translation:
No Fat Chicks!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on May 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM

That sounds like something from an SNL skit.

Barkley has no room to talk, and it does seem like fat people are one of the few groups you can still mock (along with Christians, and conservatives, of course) with impunity, but fat acceptance means accepting an unhealthy weight and lifestyle. I’m all for accepting yourself and all of that mumbo jumbo, but there can be serious consequences for it in this case.

changer1701 on May 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Ooops…

OmahaConservative on May 11, 2014 at 5:40 PM

No problem.

You Ratsoed with gusto. Not like those who use a question mark, or who, three comments later, claim the honor.

Go big or stay at home.

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Same olde stupid.

Murphy9 on May 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Stupid is the new retard.

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Stupid is the new retard.

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM

After the “affluenza” case, I fear you are more correct than perhaps even you realize. People who are full of ignorance and poor judgment will have a protected class of their own soon.

Rusty Nail on May 11, 2014 at 7:08 PM

So if you’re fat gay and black were you born three ways?

Akzed on May 11, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Poking fun at a specific fat person is just mean. They are dysfunctional. fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Dante made gluttony a sin punished worse than fornication because at least with fornication you desire to please someone beside yourself.

Akzed on May 11, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You shouldn’t judge a person left based on the color of their skin or if they are fat.

You should judge them based on their lips and hair.

SparkPlug on May 11, 2014 at 7:46 PM

davidk on May 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Lolz. Also husky jeans, way funny. Lolz.

SparkPlug on May 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Akzed on May 11, 2014 at 7:22 PM

All of those ‘sins’ like gluttony and lust are really crimes you commit against yourself. You can do every one of them without hurting someone else. Even greed is not the taking of what is not yours. It is wanting to take it. You don’t have to act on your envy, and so on.

They are really rules for living a happy, healthy life. Calling them sins is akin to saying suicides all go to Hell. It is a way to scare sheep into doing “what’s good for them.”

Sure, they are generally good rules to follow, but don’t be a sheep. Unless that happens to be your bag. There’s no accounting for some people’s inclinations.

God wants you to be productive. If eating until you can’t see your toes makes you a better, harder working, hornier and more faithful spouse, and it makes your spouse want to make babies with you, then go for it.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 7:49 PM

“Fat is a BIG effin’ deal.”

—– Slow Joe Biden

That’s all I have to say on this thread but may weigh in on it later.

viking01 on May 11, 2014 at 7:49 PM

6 feet tall.

320 pounds.

Very low cholesterol.

Don’t drink or smoke.

Eat mainly fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy, fish, white meats. Not big on “fast food”.

Exercise daily.

My doctor says I have the heart and lungs of a 20-something track and field man. And yes, they are “original equipment”.

I’ve been heavy since I was a kid. I suspect due to a thyroid condition caused by a botched tonsillectomy at age 6. My doctor says the tests she had done on me strongly support that hypothesis.

In spite of looking like Michael Chiklis with glasses, I’m actually in pretty good condition for age 56.

I think it’s less how much you weigh than how it’s distributed. And how your metabolism works.

Then again, like Garfield, I may not be overweight- just undertall.

;-)

cheers

eon

eon on May 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Fat. It’s the new black.

Wake me when we get to bald.

V7_Sport on May 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

coolrepublica on May 11, 2014

Wow, you have just demonstrated you are neither an authentic female nor a stylish ghey; just a racist.

Blahblahblah is the new black refers to fashion, not race.

Basic black goes with anything, and its perennially popular, so if a new neutral color takes off, its “beige is the new black” or “mauve with a twist of lime is the new black”.

But, as you’ve demonstrated before, your worldview is totally racialist, so the fact that Jazz used the word “black” in a linguistic bon mot makes your knee jerk reaction totally predictable and kind of pitiful.

I feel sad for you…

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Fat. It’s the new black.

Wake me when we get to bald.

V7_Sport on May 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Bald is the new fat.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I am waiting for …. oh heck, I give up. Who isn’t a protected class?

upinak on May 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

White Christians.

The Rogue Tomato on May 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I am waiting for …. oh heck, I give up. Who isn’t a protected class?

upinak on May 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Achievers.

viking01 on May 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM

The first time I spent a 3 hour flight with an obese person setting next to me, lost all sympathy for them. The fact that they take up space that I purchased is quite offensive.

Zaire67 on May 11, 2014 at 8:34 PM

GISAP on May 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Thanks for your comment! There are a lot of people who are over weight due to their medications or health conditions. People should just be kind, period. Who are we to judge if somebody is “lazy” and that is why they are fat? People have all kinds of problems, and if struggling with your weight is not one of them for you, you should just thank your lucky stars and try being kind to people who are different from you.

Kristamatic on May 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I’m gratified that the two commenters who acknowledged what I wrote shared my opinion. Having now read the entire thread, I’m amazed and saddened at how many conservative people there are who both hate being told what to do by Progressives AND still think it is their place to judge how others live their lives.

GISAP on May 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM

GISAP on May 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Conservatives don’t think the government should be dictating how people should live their lives. Individuals should be free to make their own judgments. I think people should be polite to everyone, but nobody can live their life without judgments.

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 8:59 PM

coolrepublica on May 11, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Jazz is a guy.

fadetogray on May 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

…coldpubichair …is a brain-dead bigot!

KOOLAID2 on May 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Everybody have a good cry?

This country is full of decadent adolescents.

Murphy9 on May 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 8:59 PM

No, nobody can live without judgements, but that doesn’t condone unkindness. I am as sick as all y’all of protected classes, but all the commenters here saying fat people are just lazy and gluttonous is really unbelievable. Conservatives should behave better.

Kristamatic on May 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Bald is the new fat.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM

So if bald is the new fat and fat is the new black… that’s racist right there.

Cracker.

V7_Sport on May 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Okay, then where are my reparations? 40 acres and a mule ain’t gonna do it, either. I’m thinking a 4/3 McMansion, Mercedes E-Class, $2,000 a week and some ATVs.

Sandbear on May 11, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Kristamatic on May 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I think its true for most, but you are correct that for some it can be traced to genetic or medical conditions. I know for a certainty that my additional poundage has to do with an over-fondness for spaghetti.

I don’t care WHY you are fat, I still think people should be polite towards others. Mouthing off like some gutter trash because you think you can get away with it reveals a lot about a person.

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Would Sherman Klump get more set-asides than Obama?

viking01 on May 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I agree with the idea of reducing discrimination of the obese and encouraging people to maintain high self-esteem in spite of their physical problems.

But when I first heard about the “fat acceptance” movement years ago, I got the distinct impression that it was all about denying the idea that there is anything “wrong” with obesity, which means denying the medical fact that obesity is linked to serious health issues. The word “acceptance” at least initially referred to self-acceptance.

While I sympathize with what the NAAFA publicly said, I dread a future in which any group with enough belligerence and ability to avoid sounding outright absurd utilizes propaganda to interfere with the public’s understanding of science.

unfinishedSymphony on May 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I’m not denying that obesity is a serious health issue, but come on, if you are fat, for what ever reason, you know you are, you don’t need rude people pointing it out for you.

Kristamatic on May 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Kristamatic on May 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM

They should replace sex education in school with a course on basic manners, business etiquette, and politeness. It would serve the kids a lot better in life.

sharrukin on May 11, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I’d like protection from having my space invaded by someone who buys one seat (on a plane, a train, a movie, etc.) and pours over into mine. The protection I ask for is that they buy an extra seat. That’s not unreasonable. It’s highly unreasonable for someone overweight and spilling over their seat to expect others to subsidize their extra space, since in essence I’m paying part of their freight if they’re using my space.

Speaking of freight, it is long past time to just treat airplane tickets as freight. The cost isn’t as much the space we take up, it’s the weight and fuel burned to move that weight. Airlines should just stand you and your luggage on a scale and charge accordingly. That will also create more ‘vitims,’ so that will be fun, too!

xNavigator on May 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Ugh. ‘victims.’ spellcheck!

xNavigator on May 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Any healthy young person is going to be repulsed by the obese. It’s part of being a health young person. And let’s be honest. The obese body is disgusting to look at it.

thuja on May 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Is there among us anyone who is not disadvantaged for one thing or another? George Harrison said, “We all have our own small franchise on misery.”

We can claim persecution by race, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, height, weight, nerd factor, and other cultural or social affects. If you can’t find at least two categories in which you qualify as aggrieved, you either aren’t looking, or you can follow the modern American tradition and just invent your own persecuted category.

If your Mom told you life would be fair, she lied.

Adjoran on May 12, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Being fat isn’t genetic or a life sentence you can’t appeal. Anyone can lose weight and change their weight. I would never look down on someone because they are heavy but they are killing themselves whether they will admit to it or not.

trs on May 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM

There is “fat” which is subjective, and there is “obesity” which is objectively and factually supported as “unhealthy.”

The obesity “epidemic” has been caused, in part, by the reclassification of what weight is “healthy” for individuals, based on the EXTREMELY dubious criterion of BMI (basal metabolic index).

Just yesterday, we attended a company picnic at a water park. My son’s female friend, who is 17 years old, and about to graduate from high school, was wearing a bikini, and she lamented “no matter what I do, I can’t get below 150 pounds.” This girl doesn’t have an ounce of fat on her, and has a lovely figure. Fitness is not a number on a scale. It’s your overall HEALTH that matters, and you CAN be “fat and fit,” and there are plenty of “skinny” people who are NOT healthy because they starve themselves and get NO exercise.

I’m not on board with the idea that “fat” people should become a “protected class,” but there is definitely some stereotyping of people who are a freaking ounce overweight, based on bogus criteria that needs to be criticized. There is another category of dietary disorders that is MUCH MORE DEADLY than “obese” and it’s called anorexia. Stereotyping leads a lot of young girls into perceiving themselves as “fat,” and literally STARVING themselves. That is a tragedy that can be prevented, in many cases, and I believe that’s a legitimate goal to strive for.

JannyMae on May 12, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Those yogurt, arugula and free-range chicken eaters at Berkeley aren’t going to like this.

When you wish to destroy a nation–just create more special interest divisions–agitate, stir well, then repeat.

This once great nation of individuals who were all part of the great melting pot, have become a house divided against itself.

Don L on May 12, 2014 at 5:42 AM

thuja on May 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM

You must be a lot younger than me. Today’s young people are mostly chubby compared to the people I grew up with. And the girls certainly get pregnant with more regularity, so not all young people are disgusted by fat. We literally had one obese girl in our high school of 1500-30 years ago.

The obese body was thought to be beautiful and desirable for centuries-check out some art. Having enough money to “wear your food” was a goal. Now that the poor can be fat too, the rich like to delineate themselves by being thin.

I agree though that if you have bad hair, looking good can be challenging if you are fat.

2L8 on May 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

2L8 on May 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Yup. Funny how things change.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 8:04 AM

2L8 on May 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Yeah, I can only think of one boy who was “fat” in grade school. He was also very tall for his age and probably became a football player. I honestly can’t remember any girls that were big until late high school.

Fallon on May 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I am waiting for …. oh heck, I give up. Who isn’t a protected class?

upinak on May 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

In shape women like my wife, constantly referred to as a “skinny b!tch”, peppered with promos and insinuations that she sould be round and heavy to be considered a “real woman”.

I guess if it’s been 7 years and you still haven’t worked off the baby weight, changing the definition of what a woman is can certainly make you feel better about yourself.

Spiders from Mars on May 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Dare to be fat!

urban elitist on May 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I think people with common sense should be protected because they are definitely becoming a minority.

lea on May 12, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Shaq still has a job after making fun of a fan with disabilities on twitter?

cptacek on May 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Wake me when we get to bald.

V7_Sport on May 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Bald is the new fat.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Bald is hot! It’s the combover, dead animal on head, crowd that is not.

katy the mean old lady on May 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM

The young executive types I know are in great physical shape. They do cross fit or run marathons and adhere to a paleo diet. They go skiing in Europe and south america. And they look 40 at age 60.

Its a class thing. The poor and uneducated are fat. They drink and smoke. And they look 60 by age 40.

Yes yes there are exceptions but come on the lazy slobs are fat and it deserves a social stigma.

jhffmn on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Sigh. I have PCOS. Losing weight is hard. I’ve lost 40 pounds over the past year with a 3 month break for getting pregnant, gaining about 10 pounds, then miscarrying…I’m now at pre-baby weight. :) :( *sigh* never mind…

I have found meat/fruit/vegetables is the right combination for me. I let myself eat anything out of the garden (even the corn and sweet potatoes) but if I didn’t grow it, those white carbs can’t be on my plate. I’m snacking on raw asparagus right now.

But, sigh. It is very hard. When I fall of the wagon, I fall hard. Dark beer is my nemesis. And the chinese place in town.

It is hard to get “exercise” (as in running or playing a sport) because of a botched knee surgery that didn’t ever heal right, but I can garden, so that is what I do. I forced myself to do a “couch potato to 5 k” program a few years ago, but just hurt my knee. I did it and ran the 5k because I am stubborn and had the will power, but did irreparable harm to my body to do it.

cptacek on May 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM

jhffmn on May 12, 2014 at 11:38 AM

X100

I am living your point. Me, being the perfect male specimen, 180+ I.Q., born into massive wealth, pro rugby player, owner of many Olympic gold metals…and that is my short humble list; yes, the social stigma I live with is almost too much to bear sometimes. But, I will survive. Thanks for undersanding.

HonestLib on May 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM

oh come on. it not like sur charles had anyone from San Antonio do the truffle shuffle…

to me, this could be really interesting. the fat lobly vs the gay mafia in a few years. this migh tbe lots of fun. I’m buying popcorn futures…

todler on May 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Spiders from Mars on May 12, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Yep, too true. It’s really funny how that works. I don’t care what the fat acceptance crowd pushes and wishes I would believe, obese people are gross. I’m polite enough not to make fun of anybody and call them disgusting to their faces. I don’t want to hurt a person’s feelings even if their awful appearance is their own fault (at least 75% of the time, if other posters are to be believed). I won’t say, “Ack! You’re gross!”, but you can bet I’m thinking it.

GAbred on May 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Practical question: Does the fact that I’m an obese disabled dystrophic cancel out the fact that I’m also a white Christian male?

mugged on May 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM

So in addition to being called sexist, I now get to be called size-ist for not finding Lena Dunham attractive?

JimLennon on May 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Wake me when we get to bald.

V7_Sport on May 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Bald is the new fat.

Dolce Far Niente on May 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Bald is hot! It’s the combover, dead animal on head, crowd that is not.

katy the mean old lady on May 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Thanks! I’ve got my mojo back after that. :-D

V7_Sport on May 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM

katy the mean old lady on May 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM

ROFL, You beat me to it!
Oh, yeah, baby…bald can be as sexy as it gets.

lineholder on May 12, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I recall many moons ago (like around 287 or so) reading an article in the Philly newspaper. There had recently a “Fat is Beautiful” sort of convention. The interviewed one of the catering crew and asked if he thought the obese had a problem with discrimination. He said something to effect of “Heck ya! They can’t discriminate between one slice of pizza and a whole pie!”

Medical conditions aside, the obese people I’ve known are accurately described by that quote.

I remember my mom telling me about a study where they housed a number of obese individuals in a closed environment. These were people who’d swear on their grandmother’s grave that just couldn’t lose weight in spite of careful calorie counting to stay under their base metabolic rate. They could only acquire food from vending machines in the building. They were supposed to take careful notes of what they ate each day and the calories and so on contained therein. Every single one undercounted the amount of food they consumed by large margins. One could understand missing a snack here or there. But they were missing half a meal’s worth, consistently. Swearing to not eating snacks, but actually eating a lot of snacks.

Behavior is a bigger part of weight issues than most obese people are willing to admit.

sumpnz on May 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Fat. It’s the new black?

I wonder if Oprah will weigh in on this issue.

SparkPlug on May 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Well, she is…both :)…so, I am guessing she will wifh in heavily (pun intended) on the issue :)

jimver on May 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM

JimLennon on May 12, 2014 at 3:31 PM

That woman is fugly, unfunny and annoying like heck, her being overweight is not her main problem though, that just ads to the general obnoxiousness that she emanates.

jimver on May 12, 2014 at 8:45 PM