Rand Paul to GOP: Our voter ID push is “offending people”

posted at 4:41 pm on May 9, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’ve been waiting three hours since I saw this tweet for the NYT to publish a transcript or story about what he said, but no dice as I’m writing this. If it happens tonight, I’ll update with a link. The quote’s almost certainly not out of context, though: Remember, Paul told David Axelrod a few weeks ago that he thinks the GOP might be overemphasizing the issue. What’s newsy about this is the tone. Sounds like he’s gone from “maybe this isn’t a great idea” to “let’s drop it, quickly.”

An interesting reply from lefty Benjy Sarlin:

And Paul’s evolution, needless to say, is no accident:

Meeting with black pastors and breaking with the party orthodoxy on voter ID is less important to Rand in building his base for the general election than it is in preemptively defusing the “Paul’s a racist” attacks that will begin the instant he emerges as a serious threat for the nomination. The left (and maybe not just the left) is going to kitchen-sink him on that — his old comments on the Civil Rights Act, his father’s newsletters, having the “Southern Avenger” on staff, even agreeing with Cliven Bundy about federal land-use practices before quickly denouncing him after his comments about blacks went viral. Between Paul’s voter ID skepticism, his outreach to black leaders, and his criticism of racial bias in drug law enforcement and sentencing, he’s trying to vaccinate himself from the “racism” attacks that are assuredly coming, at least to the extent that reporters are forced to mention all of Paul’s conciliatory measures towards minority voters when relaying Democratic talking points on him.

How does this play in the primaries, though? Voter ID is of a piece with immigration reform, I think, in that righties see both issues as very basic rule-of-law stuff. (Whereas lefties, naturally, see them as proxies for racism.) If you can enhance the integrity of elections by imposing a simple ID requirement, you do it; if you can reduce the risk of illegal immigration in the future, even as a condition to a mass amnesty right now, you do it. If Paul’s conceding on one of those issues because he’s eager to impress a core Democratic constituency from whom he’s unlikely to win many extra votes, it opens him up to speculation that he might concede on other important issues once in office. That is to say, in the name of vaccinating himself in the general election, he might be giving himself a bug in the primaries. And there is, of course, a potential rival who’ll be only too happy to make him pay for it: Not only has Ted Cruz praised GOP candidates for defending voter ID, he tried to attach a voter ID measure of his own to the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill last year. Cruz could use this as a proxy issue to convince conservatives that, when push comes to shove, Paul simply can’t be trusted to stand on principle. He has too many liabilities and he’s a bit too eager sometimes to try to atone for those liabilities. (Interestingly, if Paul’s recent flirtation with hawkishness towards Russia continues, some of his libertarian fans may agree.) But that raises a problem of its own:

Right. One of the reasons Perry got nuked in 2012 was his “you don’t have a heart” comment on in-state tuition for illegals. He got pounded for it in the primaries, including by Mitt “Self-deportation” Romney, and then Democrats turned around and pounded Romney on immigration. You might see the same thing on voter ID. Rand calls for a stand-down, Cruz or Rubio or Jeb or whoever tears him apart over it en route to the nomination, and then in the general election Democrats tear that guy apart for tearing Rand apart. They’ll be desperate in 2016 to maintain the high level of black turnout that Obama saw in 2008 and 2012. A GOP civil war on voter ID could be just what they need.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

I see the sullied masses here do not understand the difference between rhetoric and policy.

Our rhetoric on voter ID is alienating potential voters. That’s a fact backed up by polling data.

You can scream bloody murder and RINO and all that. But if the issue has already been settled by the courts to be a STATES issue, then why should a national politician go out of his way to alienate a bloc of voters?

The goal is the correct policy. The only NATIONAL policy that would have voter ID would be a NATIONAL voter ID.

Is that really what you want?!?

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM

New RINO on the block. Just lost any possibility that I would vote for him. Rand you offend me with your pandering. FU!

Doomsday on May 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM

So who are we alienating?
Dead people who vote Democrat?
Members of the mainstream media (ie, water carriers for the Democrat Party)?

It seems to me the voters are on our side here.

And this is the final straw for me as far as Paul is concerned. I’m scratching him off my list of potential nominees I’d vote for.

DRayRaven on May 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I think a guy running for office ought to be as straightforward in what he says as possible. Voters aren’t going to parse meanings or get into complicated political strategy as AP does here.

Take me for example. If Rand Paul thinks we don’t need a voter ID law and I disagree with that, well then that’s one more reason not to vote for him. I’m not a single issue voter but some issues weigh more than others.

Vince on May 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM

A thumbprint on a ballot would cause this issue to completely collapse. Nothing to do with gender or race, just true ID. Simple problem, simple solution.

Netclimber on May 10, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Paul is just done. Stick a fork in him.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Agreed..:)

PS..Good morning..:)

Dire Straits on May 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Gee, I didn’t realize that voter ID requirement was a “Republican” issue. I thought it was a honesty issue. Now I can see why Democrats don’t like it but …….. Shut up, Rand.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Agreed..:)

PS..Good morning..:)

Dire Straits on May 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Promising GOP Senators for Presidential nomination:
Marco Rubio
Rand Paul
Ted Cruz

Promising GOP Governors for Presidential nomination:
Chris Christie
Jeb Bush
Scott Walker
Rick Perry (undecided at mid 2014)

and we’re still 2.5 years out.

Any wonder why the tea party gets a bad rap?

leftamark on May 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM

What rhetoric? Give me a link to an example of “our rhetoric” that’s alienating voters.

Here’s my rhetoric: “I support common sense voter I.D. laws in the State of North Carolina.” If that alienates somebody – tough.

As far as polling, every poll I’ve seen says it’s about an 80% issue.

TarheelBen on May 10, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Rand Paul is going the way of Marco Rubio, a little publicity and they jump on the establshment’s bandwagon. Voter fraud and amnesty are programs to ensure liberal control of our government. Might as well put a “D” after their names.

savage24 on May 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM

nice knowin’ ya Rand. Now get lost.

DanMan on May 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Agreed..:)

PS..Good morning..:)

Dire Straits on May 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Dire!!!

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM

“<strongHe acknowledge how some folks might be offended. I doubt he wants to let Democrats steal elections.

Don’t be so credulous.

Well, if he doesn’t recognize the problem, that’s the reality.

bflat879 on May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM

\Polls I have seen show that even a majority of Democrat voters support voter ID laws. Super majorities of Independents and Republicans support it, as well.

So who are we alienating?
Dead people who vote Democrat?
Members of the mainstream media (ie, water carriers for the Democrat Party)?

It seems to me the voters are on our side here.

DRayRaven on May 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Polls you’ve seen? Are they “Unskewed” polls?

And just how do voter ID laws stop the dead from voting in Philadelphia, genius?

You think they actually need a body present to commit mass vote fraud?

Keep drinking that Koolaid.

The Republic existed for 200+ years without voter ID. But let’s give the progs a wedge issue by ranting and raving about it now while doing nothing on the policy side nationally.

Man – you could be a consultant for the Romney campaign.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Already he’s making a Left turn with still two years to go

RdLake on May 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM

FTA:

And, notably, he did not on Friday denounce voter ID laws as bad policy or take back previous statements in which he had said it was not unreasonable for voters to be required to show identification at the polls. He says these laws should be left to the states. (Kentucky does not have a restrictive voter identification statute.)

Really folks – that’s your “left turn”?

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Dire Straits on May 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Good Morning!!!! To Everyone!!

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM

If Rand Paul said, “Hey, let’s change the title of our basic political philosophy to ‘Lickertarians’ you guys would all be screaming … “Yeah, Yes!!! I get it. Pure unadulterated genius?!?”

I wanted to see this guy in a debate because he seemed so different from his father and so conservative at first glance.

Honestly, he’s already had so many camel straw events, I hope he just sits out the primaries.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 10:31 AM

And mornin to Mrs. Munford.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Gotta love people who crow about low information voters and then make their decision based on (literally) a three word quote in a tweet by (of all people) a NYT reporter!

“It’s offending people.”

Sheeple.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I love how people make assumptions about where and how a complete stranger bases a political conclusion based on generalizations about “non-believers”.

Non-believes.

Shun the non-believers.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Paul and the Libertards to the rescue!

vlad martel on May 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I know of no black person who is alienated by prospective voter ID laws. None. It is a Big Lie which paid Leftists squeal about. And Senator Paul is being suckered by them.

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

FIFY.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Rand lost me on that point…he’s moved to the Christie and Crist pile (the one below the McCain and Romney pile). Now, if he says he “hates his white skin” then the Rev. Wright will offer his support.

Karmi on May 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM

“We don’t want to offend an entire voting bloc…of Democrats….”

vlad martel on May 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Sheeple.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM

When a one sentence stance from 3 different people, talking about voter ID and Paul not backing it; how is one low information?

Sheeple follow someone blindly, which seems like what you are doing right now.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Maybe if I was a Rand Paul do-or-die, laugh-or-cry, no matter what he says, no matter what he does, he gonna be the Prez…

I’d be a more tolerable flavor of “sheeple”.

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

FIFY.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

LOL, you are a f-word idiot and this is one for the saved files.

Oh my God, Baldi please come back school this one.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Oh dumb move man. Baldilocks is not someone who you want to tick off.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I know of no black person

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

FIFY.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Oh hello. Pleased to meet you. You’ve already made an impression on me: I think you’re a complete idiot. Prove you’re not.

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Oh my God, Baldi please come back school this one.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I got the popcorn. I can see the aftermath from my front porch.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Polls you’ve seen? Are they “Unskewed” polls?

You think they actually need a body present to commit mass vote fraud?

Keep drinking that Koolaid.

Man – you could be a consultant for the Romney campaign.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Wow, I must have struck a nerve. Here come the insults. Bet you wouldn’t talk that way to my face, Skippy. The internet is full of keyboard tough guys.

As anyone with a passing familiarity with history is aware, it was far more difficult to vote in the past (even in my lifetime, and no, I’m not talking about poll taxes or Jim Crow), but we had higher voter turnout despite that.

As for whether I cited “unskewed” polls or not, Google (and Bing) are your friend. Look up something for yourself sometime instead of relying on something you imagined or maybe read on a blog somewhere, OK? Speaking of reading, if you had actually read what I said, I noted it polled registered Democrats, Independents, and Republicans separately.

If you had an up-to-date registered voter list, and people had to show ID before voting, it just might make it more difficult to stuff ballot boxes with votes from dead people, and we might not have so many districts in PA and FL with 100% turnout.

Democrat Party leaders fight voter ID because they are cheating, plain and simple. If you don’t think that’s a problem in a representative republic, I guess you don’t really have a problem with anyone being disenfranchised. So much for one person/one vote.

Voter ID laws might not eliminate voter fraud entirely, but they would make it a damn sight harder.

DRayRaven on May 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I’d be a more tolerable flavor of “sheeple”.

Sorry bud, that was two comments. Lemme fix it. First was about the “Sheeple”. Ironic word for you to use defending Paul when the majority of folks I know have like me that wanted to support him have just had enough of him.

And then this …

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

FIFY.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Saved.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH*SNORT*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Noobies are A-DOR-A-BLE!

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Hmmm, seems like someone may have realized he has overstepped it.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Oh, my side hurts. Wipes tears.

Ladies, I’m off to surprise Mrs. Hawkdriver with an early Mothers Day shopping trip. If I don’t get the chance, for all the Mom’s …

A Blessed Happy Mother’s Day.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

A Blessed Happy Mother’s Day.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Hugs to Mrs. Hawk. Happy Mom’s Day to her.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Totally absurd. Refuse voter identification and the ONLY way to fight back is by starting massive voter fraud on your own. How about another banana for that ex-Republic? Sorry, Ben, we couldn’t keep it.

rhombus on May 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

The whole notion that there’s a whole swatch of black Americans without proper ID is ridiculous. But Paul is still overly sensitive to the racist label.

The real purpose of this falsehood is the continuation of voter fraud. Period.

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

BTW, “Mrs Hawkdriver” …

That’s not her real name.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Anyone supporting AMNESTY for Illegal Aliens is offending me and I will not be voting for them.

Realdemocrat1 on May 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Hmmm, seems like someone may have realized he has overstepped it.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Oh he didn’t overstep it. :)

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:02 AM

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Do you think he is just pandering to a base he knows he doesn’t have? I am curious on your opinion on this.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Mainstream MUSLIMS kidnapped those girls in Nigeria. That’s right Liberals, Mainstream MUSLIMS kidnapped those girls in Nigeria. Say it with me Liberals, MAINSTREAM MUSLIMS kidnapped those girls in Nigeria.

Realdemocrat1 on May 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Are ALL Republicans gutless?

MaiDee on May 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Perhaps Rand Paul might consider running for the Democrat nomination?

Brock Robamney on May 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM

DRayRaven on May 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM

How does voter ID effect fake turnout?!? How doe that bring the turnout below 110%?

You’re chasing a squirrel that doesn’t have a nut. The real voter fraud is not with a few people voting in 2 states or the odd illegal alien that sneaks in to vote for a Democrat.

Wonderful, you’ve helped stop in-person voter fraud for the fraudster too lazy to produce a fake ID or have a complicit poll worker. . . OR JUST MAIL IN THE VOTES.

This is the issue we should focus our rhetoric on? Really?

Saying “it’s not unreasonable for voters to be required to show identification at the polls” makes a candidate too squishy for you?

Really?

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I could care less if they are offended people have ID’s already yet it’s somehow wrong to want voter ID?

sorrowen on May 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I think he’s still under the impression that he can win a fair-sized portion of the black vote and he thinks that this will help him do that. But listening the the bought “black leaders” and bought pastors is mistake; they are feeding him BS. He needs to find a way to speak directly to the normal black voter.

BTW, I don’t buy the notion that “the black vote” is something worth chasing: %13 of the population.

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

FIFY.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Saved.

hawkdriver on May 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

And this is what happens when shallow thinkers insist on viewing the world through a racial lens. Poor Skippy.

NotCoach on May 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

MaiDee on May 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Only once elected.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM

The only group taking offense to voter ID laws: illegal aliens.

Many black persons have broken with BHO and the Democrat Party over the amnesty issue. Not enough though; and way too late.

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I’ll be out getting coffee. Be sure to wipe off your shoes, Skipity.

Hi to my old friends!

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I have the solution to all this.

Anyone who shows up at a polling place with no photo ID will have his/her photograph taken by a poll worker and must sign an affadavit that says he/she is the person whose name is on the list of eligible voters. That person will get a paper ballot that will be tallied ONLY when the identity is verified.

You will now have a photo to use for a gov’t issued photo ID to be sent to the voter to use next time or, if the person turns out to have voted fraudulently, you now have a photo of the perp who should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and the vote is be counted.

Jeeeeeniusssss.

Doug Piranha on May 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Through some kind of clerical error, my husband and daughter are still registered to vote in Florida and Virginia…..in Florida they cannot vote with their Virginia I.D.. I’m sure it doesn’t stop the dedicated but it slows down the simply partisan.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM

It appears that Skipity is a dedicated Paul bot. He knows Rand Paul stepped in it big time with these comments – which alienate a good portion of the conservative base. He’s in here wildly spinning, trying to defend Rand’s comments.

TarheelBen on May 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Correction…the vote is NOT counted.

Doug Piranha on May 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Personally, I think he is trying to distance himself from his father, and this is the start of how to do it, in his world. Not that Rand isn’t acting via the same play book, but it is interesting to watch.

BTW, it is nice to see you around.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM

83% believe laws requiring voters to “show identification in order to vote” is a “good thing.” Only 13% see it as a “bad thing.”
Moreover, a full 72% of Democrats see voter ID as a “good thing.”

In fact, 65% of those who see themselves as “very liberal” favor voter ID laws.

Minority turnout increased dramatically after Georgia voter-ID law

71 % of Voters Favor Voter ID

Jason58 on May 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM

It’s not a clerical error, but typical bureaucracy. They don’t clear the rolls regularly. Every state has dead people registered to vote.

NotCoach on May 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

TarheelBen on May 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM

He is swimming in it. Let him swim.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Sen Paul has now lost the luster I once appreciated. To quote a Pearl Jam song, I would like to see him “fade away.”

tuptian on May 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

The “Voter Suppression” war cry is the most effective GOTV propaganda the left has.

The 500 in person voter fraud cases you prevent in a national election are dwarfed by even 1% increase in turnout drummed up with this bludgeon.

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Well that’s just a super attitude.

I wonder how minorities get the idea that Conservatives don’t care about them.

Total freaking Mystery, there.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

NotCoach on May 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, I’m trying to be nice. I was a registrar in Virginia, pre-computer, when the voter filled out the multi-copy form, one copy was suppose to go to the state of their former state registration.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Well that’s just a super attitude.

I wonder how minorities get the idea that Conservatives don’t care about them.

Total freaking Mystery, there.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Sometimes it’s fun watching a hole be dug.

NotCoach on May 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Why don’t you ask her? Clueless.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

While this is fun….meet baldilocks.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:25 AM

It’s far more than that, believe me. I know how these people operate. They think they are justified in cheating – because they are doing so for the good of the cause. The ends justify the means.

Obama employed fraud and cheating all during the 2008 primary season. He even convened a “Camp Obama” to teach activists how to game the caucuses in the Democrat primary.

TarheelBen on May 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I’m beginning to believe that black Americans are being used by the Dems to push the whole rage against Voter ID laws. No, it’s not hard to get a photo id. Blacks have birth certificates, drivers licenses, SS cards, like everyone else. The group, or swatch, that doesn’t, by and large, are the illegals. For the most part, Dems already have the black vote, what they’re working on is the Hispanic and other minorities, the ones that don’t have (bonafide) US birth certificates, SS cards, etc. It all kind of fits together with the amnesty crap. The two go hand in hand. Get one and you got both.

leftamark on May 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Is that really what you want?!?

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM

And you think Rand’s words were well chosen?

I’d say his rhetorical skills are underwhelming.

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I’ll be out getting coffee. Be sure to wipe off your shoes, Skipity.

Hi to my old friends!

baldilocks on May 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM

They’ll have to be burned and buried after that…wiping will only spread more of it onto Skipity.

Good to see an oldie again…wink!

Karmi on May 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM

While this is fun….meet baldilocks.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Just because someone writes for thetechguy does not mean they are qualified to write off a going after the black vote.

13% is quite significant. Conceding 90% of 13% of the populace because you’re too lazy to acknowledge they exist is a poor (and failing) strategy.

Winning a larger percentage of the White vote than Reagan worked out great for Romney – didn’t it?

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

And you think Rand’s words were well chosen?

I’d say his rhetorical skills are underwhelming.

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM

The only words this entire thread are based off of are the three “It’s Offending People.”

3 words out of probably 10,000 he said on Friday.

AP has a knack for pulling out the 3-5 word phrases that will rile up the boards: I’ll give ‘em that. Meat to the lions.

If you watched his talk on Friday and said “you know, his rhetorical skills are underwhelming.”

That’s certainly fair.

But as the actual talk was closed to the media and no video was taken, maybe (Just maybe) that judgement is premature.

So . . . where you there?

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Who are we offending?

People with ID’s? Nope.

People without ID’s? Who cares.

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Already he’s making a Left turn with still two years to go

RdLake on May 10, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Rand Paul has made a lot of sharp left turns in the past month:

* Defended Jeb Bush’s “love” comments
* Told Republicans to rethink their stand on single-sex marriage
^ Suggested that the GOP was “over-reacting to voter fraud” as more evidence of voter fraud was uncovered
* Responded to a Kentucky voter that he would tell him in private why he endorsed Mitch McConnell
* Told Republicans “The Republican Party will adapt, evolve or die” and Rand wasn’t talking about becoming more conservative
* Met with some of Mitt Romney’s 2012 advisors in Boston
* Said “It’s difficult to turn the clock back on ObamaCare”
* Back-tracked on his pro-life stance
* Slammed Cliven Bundy’s “racist rant”
* Said Carter was thriftier than Reagan
* Supported work visas for illegal aliens

bw222 on May 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Rand Paul, if you or your staff read HotAir comments: I checked into a hotel the other day, was paying cash and I still had to show my state driver license and credit card, even though I was paying cash. Showing an ID is a typical occurrence for daily living, why shouldn’t it be for something as important as voting?

woodhull on May 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

LOL, you have no clue. Not only are you willfully ignorant, you embrace it.

upinak on May 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

3 words out of probably 10,000 he said on Friday.

That’s certainly fair.

So . . . where you there?

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I don’t care if he spoke 3 million words. Three ill-spoken words are what make the news.

It’s called a ‘soundbite’.

You know, like ’47%’ from the master communicator almost President Mitt Romney.

‘Were you there?’ LOL.

Do you know any black people?

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

So you believe that even 5% of our voting black population is without I.D.? I think we need not only require ID but make sure that illegals don’t get them. Or at least don’t get ones that don’t specify that they are non-citizens.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM

You think they actually need a body present to commit mass vote fraud?

Keep drinking that Koolaid.

Man – you could be a consultant for the Romney campaign.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM

You’re a bastion of ignorance. The voter fraud that takes place in Chicago involves busing multiple bodies around to multiple precincts where they vote multiple times under different names.

The VAST majority of voters approve of voter ID. As several have already said, the only people voter ID “offends” are those who are going to have their fraud limited by it.

JannyMae on May 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM

woodhull on May 10, 2014 at 11:55 AM

TFA:

Plus you can see him in the Harvard talk last week talking about the same issue.

But why bother with all that? We have bloggers and tweeters to sum up policy positions based on a 3 word parse.

baaaaa

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

According to Byron York, if 4% of the available white vote had voted for Romney, we would be in a different world today.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Rand Paul is the enemy.

faraway on May 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

You think alienating your base, ala McCain and Romney, to try to get those votes is a good idea?

If he thinks a significant amount of blacks will ever vote for him, he’s too stupid to be president.

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

State administered Voter regulations only. And agreed, Paul is rapidly losing credence with my voter interests.

Willys on May 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Didn’t realize the depth of Romney’s patheticness.

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I don’t know if you can attribute the entire 4% to Romney, there was a lot of patheticness to go around.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Putting things in perspective, the largest black GOP vote getter since the Roosevelt era was Eisenhower with 39% in 1956. This was at a time when the Eisenhower Administration was integrating schools and businesses and fighting to pass civil rights laws with opposition from the Dixiecrats.

It was also at a time when the black illegitimacy rate was 23% (as opposed to 72% today). It was prior to Lyndon Johnson’s Way on Poverty and social welfare as we know it.

The GOP should concentrate on Millennials because there is no way it will increase its share of the black vote.

bw222 on May 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM

faraway on May 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I don’t think I will go that far but it certainly shines a light on what happens to someone who tries to be all things to all people.

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Unless you think that this should be done at a national instead of state level, then we agree on policy 100%.

This is a question of rhetoric.

“I think it’s wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it’s offending people.” -Rand Paul

Yup. It’s offending people and being used as a GOTV effort for the left.

Leave it to the states. That’s what the courts have ruled anyway.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Cindy Munford on May 10, 2014 at 12:09 PM

93% sure it was sarcasm.

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

We’ll ignore the obnoxious racialism of your comment for now.

Meet baldilocks, moron.

And do you know the only thing I care about? That she is smart, and conservative. You’re an idiot Skippy, but that has been covered before.

NotCoach on May 10, 2014 at 12:14 PM

This is a question of rhetoric.

Yup. It’s offending people and being used as a GOTV effort for the left.

Leave it to the states. That’s what the courts have ruled anyway.

Skipity on May 10, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Pretty sure the existence of white people is also offensive to them.

Also, pretty certain there are plenty of other things they can use for GOTV.

Either way, you never let the opposition dictate your strategy. Never.

Bigbullets on May 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Zippity dee doo dah. All dee doo dah day.

Bmore on May 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

My favorite voter ID story remains the guy who registered to vote as Eric Holder.

NoPain on May 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I should have added that maybe I should try to register as Rand Paul.

NoPain on May 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Rand Paul is more and more like Chris Christie, a super RINO.

This man is not trustworthy.

sohumm on May 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM