Rand Paul to GOP: Our voter ID push is “offending people”

posted at 4:41 pm on May 9, 2014 by Allahpundit

I’ve been waiting three hours since I saw this tweet for the NYT to publish a transcript or story about what he said, but no dice as I’m writing this. If it happens tonight, I’ll update with a link. The quote’s almost certainly not out of context, though: Remember, Paul told David Axelrod a few weeks ago that he thinks the GOP might be overemphasizing the issue. What’s newsy about this is the tone. Sounds like he’s gone from “maybe this isn’t a great idea” to “let’s drop it, quickly.”

An interesting reply from lefty Benjy Sarlin:

And Paul’s evolution, needless to say, is no accident:

Meeting with black pastors and breaking with the party orthodoxy on voter ID is less important to Rand in building his base for the general election than it is in preemptively defusing the “Paul’s a racist” attacks that will begin the instant he emerges as a serious threat for the nomination. The left (and maybe not just the left) is going to kitchen-sink him on that — his old comments on the Civil Rights Act, his father’s newsletters, having the “Southern Avenger” on staff, even agreeing with Cliven Bundy about federal land-use practices before quickly denouncing him after his comments about blacks went viral. Between Paul’s voter ID skepticism, his outreach to black leaders, and his criticism of racial bias in drug law enforcement and sentencing, he’s trying to vaccinate himself from the “racism” attacks that are assuredly coming, at least to the extent that reporters are forced to mention all of Paul’s conciliatory measures towards minority voters when relaying Democratic talking points on him.

How does this play in the primaries, though? Voter ID is of a piece with immigration reform, I think, in that righties see both issues as very basic rule-of-law stuff. (Whereas lefties, naturally, see them as proxies for racism.) If you can enhance the integrity of elections by imposing a simple ID requirement, you do it; if you can reduce the risk of illegal immigration in the future, even as a condition to a mass amnesty right now, you do it. If Paul’s conceding on one of those issues because he’s eager to impress a core Democratic constituency from whom he’s unlikely to win many extra votes, it opens him up to speculation that he might concede on other important issues once in office. That is to say, in the name of vaccinating himself in the general election, he might be giving himself a bug in the primaries. And there is, of course, a potential rival who’ll be only too happy to make him pay for it: Not only has Ted Cruz praised GOP candidates for defending voter ID, he tried to attach a voter ID measure of his own to the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill last year. Cruz could use this as a proxy issue to convince conservatives that, when push comes to shove, Paul simply can’t be trusted to stand on principle. He has too many liabilities and he’s a bit too eager sometimes to try to atone for those liabilities. (Interestingly, if Paul’s recent flirtation with hawkishness towards Russia continues, some of his libertarian fans may agree.) But that raises a problem of its own:

Right. One of the reasons Perry got nuked in 2012 was his “you don’t have a heart” comment on in-state tuition for illegals. He got pounded for it in the primaries, including by Mitt “Self-deportation” Romney, and then Democrats turned around and pounded Romney on immigration. You might see the same thing on voter ID. Rand calls for a stand-down, Cruz or Rubio or Jeb or whoever tears him apart over it en route to the nomination, and then in the general election Democrats tear that guy apart for tearing Rand apart. They’ll be desperate in 2016 to maintain the high level of black turnout that Obama saw in 2008 and 2012. A GOP civil war on voter ID could be just what they need.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

Oh no! Rand Paul is turning into a RINO.

sadatoni on May 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Good grief. Pandermonium!

Charlemagne on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Because integrity is less important than not offending people, right?

RblDiver on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Rand has lost it, he really has.

Why does our side feel the need to pander. Oh I know, because they are incompetent idiots who have forgotten how to sell the Conservative position, so instead they adopt the LIberal one. So much easier making political call based on emotion rather than reason.

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

What a pathetic backtrack by Paul from Cliven Bundy in the past two weeks.

“See, I hate voter ID. I’m not racist.” – Randy

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I was a very early endorser of Rand. But if he turns against voter ID, I will turn against him.

WannabeAnglican on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Cool.

Who’s left, Lizard Man and my dog, Ace; it’s going to be tough to choose.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Yeah, it offends people who want to vote multiple times and magically “find” votes in the trunks of cars.

Grammar Nazi on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Allahpundit, are you trying to cause a heart attach here? Don’t you love your readers? Why are you always so mean to them. lol

I can feel the coronaries from here.

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Cool.

Who’s left, Lizard Man and my dog, Ace; it’s going to be tough to choose.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

+1000

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Yo Rand! U sh!tting us or what?

katy the mean old lady on May 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM

TOP THREE d-cRAT CHOICES FOR REPUB PREZ NOMINEE:
1. Chris Christie
2. Jeb Bush
3. Rand Paul

With 1, 2, or 3 – d-cRAT LANDSLIDE VICTORY is ASSURED.

MicahStone on May 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Fortunately it’s a state issue and has already been ruled on by federal courts.

Charlemagne on May 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

What Rand forgets is that polling shows most black people support voter ID.

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Rand has lost it, he really has.

melle1228 on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

If you want to start adopting tactics of the left, then you’re going to have to accept lying. The problem with the GOP is trying to tell who is lying, and who actually is a progressive.

DFCtomm on May 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I’m glad Rand is revealing his DemoCommie chops now so he won’t be muddying up the Primary waters.

Darned considerate of ‘em.

Augustinian on May 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

That’s it.

Akzed on May 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

WTH??

Offending people???

The only people that are ‘offended’ are the one’s that are counting on fraud to win elections.

Seriously, what is so wrong with voter ID??

Nothing, that’s what.

BigWyo on May 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Oh no! Rand Paul is turning into a RINO.

sadatoni on May 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM

That’s what happens when you’re shaky on principles and are trying to attract someone else’s constituents. That’s called being a political ho…anything for a vote or a lot of votes.

gracie on May 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Ugghhh…. what is the point of opposing D’s if it is for some premise other than their party being a hoax-promoting criminal organization??

blockchords on May 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM

As others have said, notably Rush Limbaugh, Republicans spend too much time trying to convince people they are not what they are accused of being, racists, whatever, rather than standing on rule of law and going on the attack.

CL on May 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM

So we can’t do anything about abortion because the numbers don’t favor it and now we can’t do anything about voter ID even though the vast majority do favor it. Fantastic.

JosephP on May 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Just sat down w @SenRandPaul after his meeting with black pastors. He says GOP needs to lay off voter ID insert issue here. “It’s offending people.”

Honestly, how could that not be used as a justification for surrendering on anything and everything? Every issue offends somebody on something.

When your primary goal is getting elected rather than advocating for and enacting what you think is good policy, there is no longer a reason to vote for you.

Stoic Patriot on May 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Whoa..whoa..whoa…..hey, HA moderators….wheres the trigger warning, huh?

TRIGGER WARNING: Voter ID discussion to follow

BobMbx on May 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

What the F is wrong with this jerk?

slickwillie2001 on May 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Obama third term anyone?

So it’s a trial balloon?

the_nile on May 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM

One, huge problem with that scenario:

Polls consistently show that even a majority of DEMOCRAT voters support voter ID laws.

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I give up. The party is finished. I’ve been reluctant to say it. Between pandering BS like this, and the Christine ODonnels of the party, we are beyond finished. Absolutely no backbone. No coherence. No fresh ways of vocalizing traditional positions. Truly finished. Now we fight to manage the decline.

blatantblue on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

That people think African Americans are too stupid to obtain a free ID is offensive to me.

crrr6 on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Rand Paul’s bizarre metamorphosis into a raging dunderheaded liberal has been very disturbing. It’s good that Paul has taken himself out of the running for 2016 early, so no one wastes any more time on him.

Pork-Chop on May 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Who is offended..?

d1carter on May 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM

blatantblue on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Don’t you mean hide the decline? =P

Stoic Patriot on May 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM

One, huge problem with that scenario:

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Facts shmacts!

the_nile on May 9, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Allahpundit, are you trying to cause a heart attach here?

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

It’s very insensitive of you to laugh about heart attaches. The tragic loss of a family member to a heart attach in my youth has deeply affected me. I assure you, a heart attach is no laughing matter. Shame on you.

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Oh Rand

gophergirl on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Who is offended..?

d1carter on May 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM

The dead.

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

But thinking black people cannot get a picture ID isn’t offensive?

So now we’re perfectly comfortable with lefty racism I guess – of course lefties think of black people like children.

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

What a douchebag.

BuckeyeSam on May 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM

We need to turn the tables and use the language just as the dems do. Conservative candidates should campaign for fair and honest elections that follow the American rule of law. They use pro choice and voter denial instead of what they actually want–pro killing and voter fraud.

jazzuscounty on May 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Oh let me be the first to say STFU then. lol You think you are the only one who has ever had tragedy? I bet you do.

I will take your heart attack, and raise you a heart attack, cancer, diabetes, death by earthquake having something collapse on you. should I go on?

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

crrr6 on May 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I’m with you. In 2014, how many blacks are former slaves who can’t provide a birth certificate when registering to vote?

BuckeyeSam on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Just wait until Rand Paul learns that he’s an offensive racist bigoted homophobe for opposing run-away spending and an entitlement/welfare system that encourages dependency.

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

It’s the Era of Hurt Feelings in which special snowflakes get to dictate to everyone else what they can say, what they can do and whether or not you can take any measures whatsoever to stop voter fraud.

Let us all join together and make a video apologizing for being opposed to voter fraud and not realizing that we were raging racists.

JosephP on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

should I go on?

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

No , just give up.

the_nile on May 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Come on guys – start using trigger warnings.

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Rand continues to self-destruct. Delicious.

thebrokenrattle on May 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM

What’s next, endorsing rinos and telling us it will be tough to repeal obamacare? WHAT?
The GOPes are trying to out dumb democrat each other.

TinFin on May 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I’m done with Rand Paul. He’s pandering worse than some of the RINOs out there like Jeb and CRISTie. You know what else offends people, Rand? Talking about reforming welfare or cutting spending or how absentee fathers are destroying the black community or how climate change is BS science or that the federal government is corrupt and incompetent.

Basically anytime you challenge the left’s orthodoxy, rest assured, you will be accused of being a hater, a racist, a sexist, a homophobe, and an idiot. It sounds like Rand is eager to issue an unconditional surrender before the 2016 campaign has even gotten underway. At least Mitch Daniels just wanted to set aside social issues(presumably to focus on fiscal matters). What the hell is the point of a Rand Paul candidacy if he refuses to stand for anything?

Doughboy on May 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Low expectations. I would like to keep Tim Scott and Mia Love out of that low expectation column if I might, please.

butch on May 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

He is doing a fine job of destroying his 2016 chances

The Notorious G.O.P on May 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

SWOOSH!! Right over her head, steebo.

TinFin on May 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

People voting without ID, the Chicago way, greatly offend me.

Is this Rand Paul trying to self-destruct?

VorDaj on May 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

SO rather than try to persuade people about why an issue is important, Rand retreats?

This is not the kind of character I want to see in the next president. It’s going to take someone of iron resolve and active persuasion to try to begin to reverse the damage of these last years.

Rand hasn’t shown that at all. He would simply let the bloated status quo and government control grow. Some libertarian he’s turned out to be!

INC on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

How boring. Rand don’t put it in the language of “offense.” That plays in conservative mischaracterizations of anti-racist critique.

libfreeordie on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I can feel the coronaries from here.

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Back in the 60′s (and before) progressives made the argument for a much bigger welfare and entitlement state and racial preferences because you couldn’t take a black man/woman from slavery and Jim Crow segregation/oppression and just drop him into a free society and expect him to thrive – they needed time to catch up. So now after 50 years black adults can now not even be expected to obtain a picture ID – according to lefties. So would you say the lefty project of “elevating the black man to freedom” has failed?

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I’m still amazed how effectively the other side has somehow taken a totally race-neutral issue like voter ID and so effectively cast it as being racial to the point it motivates a part of their base. If only the Democrats were a tenth as good at governing as they are at using complete BS reasoning to divide Americans against one another.

alchemist19 on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Sure, but were there any heart attaches?

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Yawn.

The response should be that black people think voter ID is racist because the Barack Obama Party has told them to think that way and demonizes as an Uncle Tom anyone who says that black people are capable and confident and able to get identification.

And when one of those “black pastors” pulls this, ask him if he drove to the event, then ask him if he’s employed — and that, if he doesn’t have an ID, how was he able to do any of those things?

Force them to acknowledge their pathetic lies.

northdallasthirty on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

SWOOSH!! Right over her head, steebo.

TinFin on May 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Let me guess, you were deeply effected by tragedy as a child by some tragedy in your family. Did someone on welfare take food from your dying mother’s mouth, and now every time say welfare you go into ptsd.

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Rand Paul seemed so level headed up until recently. Maybe he has a brain tumor. I am serious as he is becoming detached from reality.

VorDaj on May 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Are the black people/commayyooonaaytehhs saying that they will not vote if they have to show an ID before casting their votes ?
or
are they saying that they will vote only if they don’t have to show ID before casting their votes ?

burrata on May 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Rand Paul, Jeb Bush, Rick Santorum have all come out attacking their own brand. Do you get the feeling they are falling on their swords to clear the way for a certain candidate? I’m being serious. My tinfoil hat is at the cleaners.

TinFin on May 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

It’s about time somebody at least talked about this. Nobody better than Rand Paul to do it either. If he really was surprised to hear this, he shouldn’t have been. Too many Republicans have been ostriches with their heads in the sand about it. It is KILLING the GOP with black voters.

I don’t think most people here understand how powerful a weapon voter ID is for Democrats. It’s the #1 reason that black turnout was as high in 2012 as it was in 2008. It probably cost Romney Pennsylvania. The fact is that a very stupid Republican legislator in PA actually said, “if we pass this, the Democrats will never win another election in this state.” That is OBVIOUSLY going to be interpreted as “voter suppression” by people who are hypersensitive about that. That quote was used to a fare-thee-well in 2012, all over the country. If you think somebody is trying to take your vote away, you are going to vote come Hell or high water!

The reason Eric Holder’s Justice Department has fought so hard against state voter ID laws is because fighting them makes it clear to black voters whose side who is on. He doesn’t care about the facts. It’s an article of faith now in most black communities that voter ID laws are always and only intended to suppress the black vote. There are, of course, ideologues in the DOJ who really believe this. Just ask Christian Adams.

I’m as much in favor of voter ID as anyone, and I will defend the facts about it to anyone. But are we really benefitting from stopping a little bit (or even a lot) of voter fraud if the result is that we get landslide defeats anyway because we lose the black vote 95-5?

rockmom on May 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Cool.

Who’s left, Lizard Man and my dog, Ace; it’s going to be tough to choose.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Your dog does a decent blog.

NotCoach on May 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

No. The media portrayal of Voter ID is what’s offensive.

Voter ID itself, is no worse than ANY OTHER action people engage in EVERY DAY, all over the country.

When government agencies STOP requiring a picture ID for all their various programs and handouts, then I’ll stop screaming for Voter ID laws.

The fact of the matter is that the only REAL reason DimocRats and the State-Run media fights against Voter ID, is because they want to keep their election stealing, vote manufacturing scheme in place as long as they possibly can.

Meople on May 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Oh no! Rand Paul is turning into a RINO.

sadatoni on May 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM

NO! NO! NO!

Rand, NO!

Doughboy on May 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Gad, I hope you are wrong but your words ring true. I feel totally screwed if these comments turn out to be true. I am so sick of the RINO “Me Too” dance – there has got to be some sanity SOMEWHERE.

Maybe a cave in France …

Chuck Ef on May 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

libfreeordie on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Mischaracterization of anti-racist critique?

You mean the nuanced and reasonable rantings of Toure, Michael Eric Dyson, and others who yell “White privilege” at anyone who disagrees with them or opines about the racist “dog whistles” of words like ‘golf’?

The left cries racism at everything and anything. If you want an actual conversation on race you need to talk your fellow travelers into being serious about it first.

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

You forgot butt-sex AIDS

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Exactly the conclusion I’ve come to.

The funny thing is is that you don’t need fresh ways…you simply need to have the courage to 1) tell the truth and 2) to tell the liars and demagogues on the Left that they are liars and demagogues to their faces.

The Republican party is a sham – not acting as a true opposition party to the Leftist Democrats, but instead, serving as a buffer to provide the appearance of opposition.

I’m done voting for Republicans. Someone wake me when a real opposition party rises.

rvastar on May 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

SWOOSH!! Right over her head, steebo.

TinFin on May 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM

No, no. It was a heart attach.
You fvcking idiot. Lol!!!!

TinFin on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Too bad about Rand. I really thought he held promise. Yet here we are.

Bmore on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

rockmom on May 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Call me a vast right wing conspirator, but I suspect the half-black nominee at the top of the Democrat ticket may have had a little to do with the high black turnout in 2012.

Doughboy on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

libfreeordie on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

You know what isn’t boring? You ignoring the following for almost 8 months now.

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*
libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

NotCoach on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Quit Speaking Rand..you’re offending me.

ToddPA on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I can feel the coronaries from here.

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Heart attach?

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 5:08 PM

alchemist19 on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Shut down the blog.

I agree with alchemist.

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM

What a stupid son of a bitch.

VorDaj on May 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

What the heck?

“I don’t have the facts so I will just post what the blithering
idiots are saying”. What kind of journalism is this?

Rand Paul has never said he doesn’t think voter ID requirements
are a bad idea; he has said that some in the repub party are making
too big of an issue about it. You know; those that state that
Obama won because of fraud.

We all know there is fraud, however, idiots voted Obama in; especially the so called republican idiots who would not vote for
Romney (or a Mormon).

Amjean on May 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

rockmom on May 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

LOL, no.

Obama was the number #1,2,3,4,5, etc. reason.

Last year, when South Carolina had voter ID for the first time, the Sanford-Colbert race had very low black turnout.

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Hero to Zero.

VorDaj on May 9, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Allahpundit, are you trying to cause a heart attach here?

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

steebo77 on May 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

AP, these triggers have to stop. Please ban this trigger maker.

NotCoach on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

You forgot butt-sex AIDS

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 5:07 PM

WTF is butt-sex AIDS. lol Is it different from the not butt sex aids? lol

I learn something new today. AIDS comes in flavors. Butt sex and non butt sex. Who knew.

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I am unsure why any group would be offended by the GOP accusing them of stealing elections — despite a complete lack of evidence of any systematic fraud — and then going out of their way to make it harder for them to vote. Rand’s just overreacting.

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

WTF is butt-sex AIDS. lol Is it different from the not butt sex aids? lol

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Butt-sex AIDS happens when the anus is used for sexual purposes, for some strange reason.

I apologize for using science, because libtards tends to be anti-science.

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Voter ID will be irrelevant in 2016. All illegal aliens will be given proper IDs after GOP helps pass amnesty.

El_Terrible on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

What does he stand for that might distinguish him from Hillary?

will77jeff on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

coolrepublica on May 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM

It good you learn today. Because learn things is good.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

So if we’re going to base our politics off of what offends black pastors is the left going to reverse itself on gay marriage. We don’t want to offend those black pastors.

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Where were you after 2004 when Democrats were yelling, Diebold, Diebold, DIEBOLD?!

sentinelrules on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

SWOOSH!! Right over her head, steebo.

TinFin on May 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Very little is not.

slickwillie2001 on May 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM

alchemist19 on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Governing is actually difficult and requires some degree of skills/competencies, or at least a modicum of intelligence. Not something you find very often in the modern Democratic party.

Race-based demagogery, however, is quite simple.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 9, 2014 at 5:14 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Where is your trigger warning for massive stupidity?

Hundreds of cases of potential voter fraud uncovered in North Carolina

NotCoach on May 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Why do you treat black people like children?

Does your racism disgust you or are you comfortable with it?

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Why do you treat black people like children?

Does your racism disgust you or are you comfortable with it?

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:15 PM

He’s cool with it.

NotCoach on May 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM

gwelf on May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

What black pastors have to say only matters when the DNC says so.

El_Terrible on May 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM

This guy is a moron

KBird on May 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Wait, we need evidenceto claim that “systemic fraud” exists? Well, let’s go through this step by step.

1. Voter fraud exists.
2. The system exists.
3. Therefore, there is systemic fraud. QED.

Right? I mean, that’s basically the argument for “systemic racism.”

Good Solid B-Plus on May 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

How do you know if there’s no checks?

Is there any other democratic nation without ID checks?

the_nile on May 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM

You Rand Paul enthusiasts need not throw him overboard with the broken bongs for this. After “comprehensive immigration reform,” non of this voter-id business will matter at all.

INC on May 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM

That places the reticle perfectly on a bigger issue. We’re constantly told that positions must come and go according to the popularity of the positions. We’re told to abandon deal-breakers to serve the greater good. We’re pounded by the word “electable.” My posture on all that is solidifying: Figure out what you believe, put it before the people, and let them make a choice. And preach. The other way of doing it is ridiculous, and it’s given us a one party oligarchy.

^ But that’s a hijack. :)

Axe on May 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM

urban elitist on May 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Agreed, and you should see the hoops a person has to jump through to get a gun. I mean really, I need to show an I.D. simply to purchase what is essentially a chunk of sculpted metal?

You and I, the two of us, we are going to demand action, yes we are. No ID necessary to vote or buy a gun. You bring the beer, I’ll bring the cheese and we will meet in front the senate building.

Bishop on May 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM